Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: With Open Eyes

• Start Topic

Ahead of the final board vote on the Waystar-GoJo deal, Kendall and Shiv try to shore up their opposing interests...and get a fix on the whereabouts of a physically and emotionally bruised Roman.

Airdate: 05.28.2023

What a rollercoaster. 

I'm not entirely sure what happened (for the second episode in a row), but the whole thing was stunning.

And the veins on Kieran Culkin's forehead deserve their own Emmy.

Mr. Darcy for the win.

• Like 14
(edited)

The best possible ending. Seeing Roman smile and have him recognize he's better off? Going into this episode, I so much wanted to see Gerri and him have a moment. But I realize now that Roman being on his own and away from it all was the ending he needed. And, man, I just hated him -- hated him! -- just two episodes ago on election night.

This season opened with the most depressing birthday party ever, and then we see Logan Roy -- apparently not long before that -- enjoying the company of his girlfriend, colleagues, and oldest son. 

Who knew Karl could sing?

Edited by Francie
  • Like 23
  • Applause 1

Remembering Matthew Macfadyen's wonderful hand clench in Sense and Sensibility almost 20 years ago.  He's so freaking hot.  Tagging Greg was hilarious.

Someone in the NY Times semi-spoiled the ending by leaving a comment about the only unassisted triple play in world series history (baseball) was by a player named Wambsganss. Took out 3 players at once, solo, like 1920 or so.

• Like 13
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Wink 1
  • Useful 6

I was surprised that after a lot of moments where I was riveted, that the scariest moment to me was when I thought the Greg/Tom ship (such as it was) had sunk. So it was like the closest thing to romance  when he put that dot on his head. I'd been weirdly proud of him for using that translation app.

We finally get the details on Ken's kids in the nastiest way possible. 

Stuck the landing.

• Like 16
  • Applause 2

People will be dissecting that final part for years. The brilliance of this show is that you simultaneously aren't surprised Shiv screwed Ken over while also being shocked that she did it.

I swear if I was Kendall I would never talk to either of those assholes ever again. 

Tom and Greg have always been colossal shitheads so I can't say I'm glad they're winning. Roman is still a shithead (especially for that last comment about Ken's kids) but at least he seems to have realized he's better off away from all of this. Hopefully Ken will come to the same conclusion. I'm sure the billions will help.

• Like 13
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Diapason Untuned said:

Tom and Greg have always been colossal shitheads so I can't say I'm glad they're winning.

I wouldn't say Greg is winning. Yes, he still has a job; but he's never going to be more than a boot-licking toady making do with scraps. A corporate joke.

• Like 16

Greg was smart to Google translate right then and there.

Shiv is fine with covering up sexual harassment and assault multiple times, but then is so blind to not see that the same who harass other women will cut her out in a hot second. 

Greg slaps back now, Tom, so watch out!

“The GoJo deal is a bad deal. And it’s a bad deal. And Roman and I were proud of it but now we’re not and it’s a bad deal.” Oh Kendall….

Shiv leaving mid vote “I might have changed my mind?” It feels like she just can’t let go of her jealousy. To throw the waiter in his face right then. For all her high and mighty posturing, she’d rather have another sexual predator at the wheel than let her brother best her. Out of all the horrible people on the show, other than Logan, she might really be the worst. 

Roman saying that about Kendall’s kids was…. wow. That fight scene. The acting in that scene once Shiv stormed out was intense. 

Tom really wants to keep Greg around to humiliate him. Wow. I don’t see him and Shiv making it.

Disappointed that it felt like this season was building to a rebirth for Kendall only to see it end with him walking around with that same empty look we saw so often from the end of Season 1 on. 

Wow. What a well done episode.

Now Mattson is free to hollow out the rotten news division and fire Ravenshead (I hope!)

With Gerri on board, all will be well.

what happened to the Pierce deal? I don’t remember how that buyout was resolved.

And what was Roman’s comment about Kendall’s kids? I don’t recall it.

• Like 7
1 minute ago, Dianaofthehunt said:

Now Mattson is free to hollow out the rotten news division and fire Ravenshead (I hope!)

what happened to the Pierce deal? I don’t remember how that buyout was resolved.

That they don’t have Roy DNA. One was adopted and the other was from Rava and the sperm donor. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 6
4 minutes ago, Dianaofthehunt said:

That the bloodline ran through Shiv because Kendall’s kids aren’t biologically his. But with some other choice words describing their parentage.

So, so, so many great lines! Chef's kiss to the  comic relief in the middle:

Everything about Connor's sticker system, with "subsequent circulating mourners" and "second tier bereaved." But especially ... 

Connor: ... after two stickering perambulating circuits .. Shiv: We call them SPCs. 

and then

Roman: They call that the second week itch, I believe.

Shiv: Heard the latest about the, uh, Wisconsin court thing? Wylla: I'm sorry, what court thing?

Oh, I need there to be an afterlife in this universe where Logan witnesses the the cow-print couch being placed in his living room.  

• Like 5
  • LOL 18
14 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Shiv picks her ex husband over her brother.  

I mean I can't pity them too much. They make billions off the deal. If kendall wants to start a new company he can. 

The scene with the siblings was brutal. The complete ripping open of everything and how damaged they are all was on full display and it was brilliant. I watched it three times it was so good.

• Like 10

I kind of wanted Stewy to screw Kendall over, but that’s because I’ve always liked Stewy.

Totally thrilled that Logan is spinning in his grave screaming about how his children aren’t serious people.  

• Like 5
  • LOL 10

Am I the only one who was half expecting to see Kendall's body falling past the window as they were signing the deal?  We saw him pondering it in earlier episodes. I know we saw him push the lobby button but there's always another elevator. 

And did they only need one CE-bro to sign? I would have thought both would have needed to sign. 

Tom is the perfect yes man, so it makes sense.  A fitting end for all involved. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Dianaofthehunt said:

Roman alluded to the fact that the daughter is adopted and the son wasn't even Ken's but was "half Rava and half some filing cabinet guy" is what Roman said. 

Roman's "we're all bullshit" was just epic.  

The asumption is the Pierce buyout was predicated on selling to GoJo to raise the necesary cash between the 3 of them. 

Edited by DawnDavenport
  • Like 7
  • Applause 1
7 minutes ago, Broderbits said:

I wouldn't say Greg is winning. Yes, he still has a job; but he's never going to be more than a boot-licking toady making do with scraps. A corporate joke.

Yeah, but...so? That's security for Greg. He's never been all that ambitious. He just wants the thing that's slightly better than the alternative, which in this case he definitely got.

Man, Colin following Roman like the ghost of Logan's disappointment was something.

• Like 18
  • Applause 1

Holy shirt balls you guys!

Did anyone else think Kendall was gonna drown when they were at the beach? 

Shiv became her mother--self centered, manipulative, and parasitic.

I'm going to miss this show. It feels like the end of an era. 

• Like 13
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Sailorgirl26 said:

Am I the only one who was half expecting to see Kendall's body falling past the window as they were signing the deal?  We saw him pondering it in earlier episodes. I know we saw him push the lobby button but there's always another elevator. 

And did they only need one CE-bro to sign? I would have thought both would have needed to sign. 

Tom is the perfect yes man, so it makes sense.  A fitting end for all involved. 

Yes totally expected kendall jumping 

• Like 8
8 minutes ago, Dianaofthehunt said:

I’m surprised they left that plot dangling, because they should still be on the hook for that. 

All through the siblings bonding in Barbados, I just knew their final blowout would be brutal. You don’t give such a happy lull in the middle of an episode without wrecking it 10 minutes later. 

• Like 15
2 minutes ago, Adgirl said:

Holy shirt balls you guys!

Did anyone else think Kendall was gonna drown when they were at the beach? 

Shiv became her mother--self centered, manipulative, and parasitic.

I'm going to miss this show. It feels like the end of an era. 

Yes also thought kendall might drown there.  Or one of them would

• Like 8
10 minutes ago, Dianaofthehunt said:

The kids now have the money with the GoJo deal to fund the Pierce deal. So, it should be a 'go.' But the kids were only interested in it as a way to get their father's attention, so with their motivation for it gone, it'll probably fall apart due to their inability to follow through on it.

• Like 9
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
26 minutes ago, Francie said:

The best possible ending. Seeing Roman smile and have him recognize he's better off?

I loved this ending for Keiran the actor. He made me adore Roman until the election ep. And I am happy he has less real power. Money yes, power no. A win for the world.

• Like 17
  • Applause 1
7 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

I’m surprised they left that plot dangling, because they should still be on the hook for that. 

All through the siblings bonding in Barbados, I just knew their final blowout would be brutal. You don’t give such a happy lull in the middle of an episode without wrecking it 10 minutes later. 

Yes, can you see the three of them being able to work together now? But they probably are on the hook for a breakup fee if not. I personally would not be in the same room with Shiv again if I were Kendall, and probably not Roman either.

23 minutes ago, Francie said:

The kids now have the money with the GoJo deal to fund the Pierce deal. So, it should be a 'go.' But the kids were only interested in it as a way to get their father's attention, so with their motivation for it gone, it'll probably fall apart due to their inability to follow through on it.

I thought the pierce deal was dependent on keeping atn

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Sailorgirl26 said:

Am I the only one who was half expecting to see Kendall's body falling past the window as they were signing the deal?

No, I was fully expecting Kendall's body falling past one of those windows at some point.

As terrible as I know the Roy siblings are, those scenes between Kendall, Roman and Shiv at their Mom's place were so adorable and charming. I couldn't help but like them in those moments when they were goofing around together. At the same time, I knew it couldn't last and the rug would be pulled out from us in the most awful way, which of course it was.

Shiv was still so completely oblivious even after she found out she wasn't going to be Mattson's pick for CEO. "Mattson took me seriously!" Oh, you sweet summer child. She didn't know she would be reversing the power between her and Tom as soon as she told Mattson that Tom would "suck the biggest dick in the room." That was exactly what Mattson wanted and Shiv basically picked Tom out for him in that moment.  And Tom was right that if it were the other way around, she would have totally screwed him over.

Greg bitch-slapping Tom in the bathroom was pretty funny. I knew that Tom would keep Greg around even after betraying him. Tom needs his whipping boy.

Tom may be a suck up but I have to admit that he knows what he's doing with regards to personnel. Eschewing Hugo for Karolina and trying to get Gerri back are 100% the right moves.

Kendall hugging Roman and then fighting Roman moments later was an emotional roller coaster. And Shiv throwing in Kendall's face about the kid he killed! I'd forgotten about that but of course someone was going to use that against him at some point. 

Roman was right--they are all bullshit. They are all nothings now.

33 minutes ago, Francie said:

Oh, I need there to be an afterlife in this universe where Logan witnesses the the cow-print couch being placed in his living room. 

Wait until Marcia sees it!

• Like 14
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
4 minutes ago, BC4ME said:

I was cool with Tom getting it. I loved that the power dynamic flipped wrt Shiv and Tom.

Although isn't she still way richer than him? Isn't just always funny to me that that's never the point with her.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
Just now, sistermagpie said:

Although isn't she still way richer than him? Isn't just always funny to me that that's never the point with her.

Oh for sure she's richer. But like you said that's not the point. They take all the rich stuff for granted. They just want power.

• Like 12
1 minute ago, BC4ME said:

Oh for sure she's richer. But like you said that's not the point. They take all the rich stuff for granted. They just want power.

Well, they really just wanted daddy’s approval. Which none of them ever got.

• Like 19
  • Sad 1

What I found most unbelievable is Matson would talk to Greg about the job that far before the board meeting. I guess he needed someone in line for an announcement but still ....he had to know it would leak to shiv and possibly blow the deal. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

As terrible as I know the Roy siblings are, those scenes between Kendall, Roman and Shiv at their Mom's place were so adorable and charming. I couldn't help but like them in those moments when they were goofing around together. At the same time, I knew it couldn't last and the rug would be pulled out from us in the most awful way, which of course it was.

I just listened to the Succession podcast. Jeremy Strong mentioned that this was the final scene that they filmed.

He also said that he actually drank that concoction in the blender (several times) and that, yes, it really was awful.

• Like 9
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, BC4ME said:

I was cool with Tom getting it. I loved that the power dynamic flipped wrt Shiv and Tom.

Honestly it feels very temporary to me. I see Tom gone in a few years unless he gets stock and a place on the board. He is a hired face. 

• Like 21
  • Applause 1

Caroline is a millionaire yet she saves the bread end pieces (aka “knobbies”) in the freezer. That may be the craziest part of this episode for me.

I was hoping the new CEO would be a minor character from a past season like Rhea or the Vaulter guy. I didn’t want Kendall to get it, but I wanted Tom  to be screwed over too.

• Like 13
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Jordan Baker said:

I just listened to the Succession podcast. Jeremy Strong mentioned that this was the final scene that they filmed.

He also said that he actually drank that concoction in the blender (several times) and that, yes, it really was awful.

I couldn't watch him drink it. Looked away. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4
(edited)
43 minutes ago, pennben said:

As if Shiv is the only one to betray the others!  

Oh for sure--they're all horrible. However Shiv is the one who thought herself superior, smarter, in on the joke, but in reality, she's not as clever as she thinks she is--as Holly Hunter pointed out. 

Something that jumped out at me a lot when Logan first died and everyone insisted the boys be in charge; Roman was always making sure to include her. She was the one who couldn't focus or refused to cooperate.  I hate that what she did was so weighted by sibling rivalry.  

Shiv thinks she has nothing to prove but just like the boys she'd kill for the top job. 

I also commend the writers for not incorporating some epic speech about democracy, patriotism, or the role of media. I think we're all a little too far along for that.

Edited by Adgirl
  • Like 7