Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Masters

• Start Topic

Jeopardy! Masters is an upcoming American game show hosted by Ken Jennings on ABC. The series will feature six recent notable Jeopardy! champions competing against each other in a "Champions League-style" format. It is set to premiere in primetime on May 8, 2023.

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I don't understand how this works.  These same six people are going to play all the games?  In various combinations?  Sounds exhausting.

Sounds like a round robin type thing. Exhausting for them maybe but I’m looking forward to it. 

1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

This seems like something they would have thought up to air if the writer’s strike is a long one and ABC needed/wanted original programming.

Maybe someone has a good link but I’ve heard that they hadn’t finished recording the whole series and they are indeed going to be impacted by the writers’ strike. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Useful 1
10 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

they are indeed going to be impacted by the writers’ strike. 

Actually, I read somewhere that J! will not be impacted by the strike. But, maybe that only refers to regular J!

https://tvline.com/lists/writers-strike-2023-shows-affected-delays-cancellations/

The relevant part of the above article: Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune both employ writing staffs, though the writing for all episodes of Jeopardy!‘s current season is already complete, and Wheel does not use WGA writers. Most other game shows will be unaffected.

• Useful 3
4 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Actually, I read somewhere that J! will not be impacted by the strike. But, maybe that only refers to regular J!

https://tvline.com/lists/writers-strike-2023-shows-affected-delays-cancellations/

The relevant part of the above article: Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune both employ writing staffs, though the writing for all episodes of Jeopardy!‘s current season is already complete, and Wheel does not use WGA writers. Most other game shows will be unaffected.

Oh interesting.  I'm seeing pretty much the opposite at The Jeopardy Fan (5/2 recap).  Not sure about Wheel though.

https://thejeopardyfan.com/2023/05/final-jeopardy-5-2-2023.html - there are some hyperlinks in the article that don't show up in this clip:

In other important news, Jeopardy!'s writers are now on strike after the WGA called a strike overnight. What does this mean for the show right now? It appears as though production is continuing; the writers would have been asked to prioritize finishing as many game boards as possible before last night. In terms of episode production, the final six episodes of Jeopardy! Masters, as well as the final four weeks of Season 39, have yet to be taped. It appears as though non-writing production will continue; however, IATSE (the union that represents many behind-the-scenes workers) has stated that employees "retain their right to honor a lawful picked line", but the studios also retain the right to temporarily replace workers who do not cross that picket line. What will likely end up happening, though, is that the writing quality may suffer, for two reasons: firstly, the writers would have been rushed to finish games; secondly, revisions may not be possible due to the strike.

If you're going to be a contestant over the final four weeks of the season, I would highly recommend going back about five to ten years and memorizing as much of J! Archive as you can. During the last strike in 2008, there were instances where Jeopardy! would essentially lift past categories wholesale from about a decade earlier.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
On 5/3/2023 at 5:39 PM, Bastet said:

I'll watch this, because it's Jeopardy!, but my reaction is not one of excitement, but of "Didn't we just do this?" fatigue.

I'll definitely watch this because it's Jeopardy! and I like all the contestants, but they are getting very close to "How can I miss you if you won't leave" territory.

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
(edited)
On 5/6/2023 at 9:17 PM, Wildcard said:

I'll definitely watch this because it's Jeopardy! and I like all the contestants, but they are getting very close to "How can I miss you if you won't leave" territory.

I like all but one of 'em... I actually almost forgot it started tonight until I just looked at my little TV schedule (I check the listings over the weekend so I know what I'm watching and don't wind up channel surfing if there's nothing on). I'll be overloaded by Wednesday, but I'll watch, anyway.

Edited by ams1001
Just now, annzeepark914 said:

Ditto (may not be the same "one of 'em 😉). I'm pulling for Amy and the professor.

Those are the two I'm doing the same for.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Ditto (may not be the same "one of 'em 😉). I'm pulling for Amy and the professor.

Me too. Me too. Unlike some others Mattea doesn't bug me, I'm meh on Andrew and still don't like James and Matt.

• Like 2
(edited)

Of course, James doesn't even have to bother answering the question (er, questioning the answer...?). This was fun, and Mattea didn't even bug me (maybe just because she didn't seem to get as many chances to answer...). I thought they should have given him "gutting"; not that it really mattered (especially for James) but glad Sam got his points back.

I actually think I did better in these games than I did in tonight's regular game. Might have to check the archive tomorrow and see.

I think I'm rooting for Sam, so far. But Amy or Matt wouldn't make me sad, either.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 2
Just now, ams1001 said:

This was fun, and Mattea didn't even bug me (maybe just because she didn't seem to get a many chances to answer...)

I appreciated Mattea’s “would you like to share it with the class?” when Sam obviously realized the correct response too late. 

• Like 8
  • LOL 9

Well, that was fun! I was rooting for Sam in the 2nd game; oh well. Was happy for Andrew. 

That was one heck of a daily double James wagered. I let out such a scream that it worried my husband, who was upstairs. 😂

I did get the TS of eviscerate and being a native New Yorker, got FJ quickly.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
1 minute ago, opus said:

Are you watching the daily double location reveals or looking away?

I wouldn't mind seeing them but I'm usually doing something else unless clues are being revealed so I only saw the one in the first Jeopardy round.

7 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

I did get the TS of eviscerate and being a native New Yorker, got FJ quickly.

FJ was easy (well, for metro NY folks). Can't believe Mattea said the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. That was built...er, um, well after 1960.  Mattea was ok. Maybe family and/or friends got on her case. She was funny. James is too cocky for his own good. 

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, opus said:

Quick poll—- Are you watching the daily double location reveals or looking away?

Not making a point to look away but not really focusing on it. But - am I remembering correctly - have there already been a couple times when the dd was the first pick?  

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I am looking to see where they are  :)

Me, too. Not that I'll necessarily remember unless they get to it quickly.

6 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Not making a point to look away but not really focusing on it. But - am I remembering correctly - have there already been a couple times when the dd was the first pick?  

Yep, twice. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, opus said:

Quick poll—- Are you watching the daily double location reveals or looking away?

I'm looking away. I don't see how knowing makes the game more interesting and the only thing it is going to do is distract me from the content of the clues in exchange for what, knowing for a fraction of a second earlier that a contestant has selected a DD? Pointless. 

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
Apostrophe
  • Like 6
  • Applause 1

My cat was fascinated.

I wish this was instead of the regular games. Three games of Jeopardy is too much in one night, but I did enjoy it otherwise.

Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 11.07.58 PM.png

• Like 5
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 10
  • Love 4

Me, in the TOC thread last November:

Hey, I predicted the future! They asked about Parade in tonight's 2nd matchup.

I can't get the wording because J-Archive doesn't have it yet, but I'm pretty sure the show used the wrong word in a clue. It said affect instead of the correct effect (as a transitive verb, which takes an object). It was a hacking clue that Andrew got IIRC.

I already struggle to remember the categories--I don't need the DD locations taking up valuable brain space! I looked away after the first match.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I thought Matt looked bored, and at first I thought he was perched on a swivel chair because he kept turning to his right.  I don't remember that mannerism when he played a couple of years ago. I'm old so I'm rooting for Sam.

• Like 4
(edited)

I’m a New Yorker and I confidently answered “The Williamsburg Bridge!” to that FJ. 😅 Well I was close… (connects Lower East Side which right next to Chinatown to Brooklyn.) Even though I know of the neighborhood DUMBO I totally blanked on the Manhattan Bridge.

Ozymandias was an instaget at least. I think I did better overall in the Masters than regular Jeopardy.

Is this the second time ever that a contestant hit both DDs in a row, wagered all on each one and got them both correct? I know Roger Craig did it.

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Like 2
On 5/3/2023 at 4:39 PM, Bastet said:

I'll watch this, because it's Jeopardy!, but my reaction is not one of excitement, but of "Didn't we just do this?" fatigue.

That’s exactly what I posted when this was announced. I don’t really see the point, but anything that gives me more Jeopardy is ok with me. However— it’s limited to just these 6 contestants?? And why these six? According to leaderboard stats, Brad Rutter and Cris Pannullo rank higher than both Andrew He and Sam Buttrey in terms of overall winnings. (Nothing against Sam, I love him and I was rooting for him tonight.) I was expecting more players to join in, so I’m confused.

Lots of very hard clues, which is to be expected, but also lots of gettables. I can only assume they dumbed it up a little for the audience, because if I can do as well as I did at a Masters level game, I don’t think it’s really Masters level. I didn’t know the Manhattan Bridge, but I very confidently knew Ozymandius. 

I didn’t see the point of revealing the DD locations. Me knowing a contestant got a Daily Double a split second before that contestant knows they got a Daily Double adds neither suspense nor excitement. All it achieved at this home was a big fat eyeroll. 

Go Sam and Amy. (And Matt, as an alternate.) (I also won’t be mad if James wins, but he doesn’t need me to root for him.)

• Like 2

With regular J! ending at 7:30 here and this starting at 8:00 and lasting an hour, I didn't keep track of my performance like I do in regular games -- I'd like to see how I do against these superchamps (then again, maybe I wouldn't!), but it felt like homework. 

I know I did extremely well in the first round of the first game, just so-so in its DJ, and then spent an atypical amount of time silent (didn't know) or sputtering (couldn't get from brain to mouth before a contestant did) in the second game.  Clearly, I am going to have to switch to wine for my pre-dinner drinks if I'm going to try to "play" J! until 9:00. 

I had no idea on the first game's FJ, but I knew the second.

But it was still fun to watch, although I am We just saw these people! (well, except James, but with him I need a longer break in between appearances) fatigued they trotted this out so quickly.  Nice interaction between the contestants, and with Ken.  Ken and Amy's bit during the interview was clearly planned, but it was cute.  I also quite liked Mattea asking Sam if he wanted to share with the class, and James co-opting Sam's signature phrase.

Amy is my favorite, followed closely by Mattea, but I would also be happy with a Sam win, so I'd love those to be the three finalists.  If Matt or Andrew wins the whole thing, I'm going to have a decidedly eh, whatever reaction, and if it's James I'm going to be annoyed.  So, yeah, maybe I should stick with cocktails.

• Like 2

I am not looking at where the DDs are located.

I have never seen James before. His schtick of being unlikable is working, i.e. I find him unlikable. If he hadn't gotten those DDs, he would not be leading, would he? I had heard of him, but his gameplay against these other players makes me think he doesn't really deserve the legendary status. He's good, but he's not better than the rest of them, as far as I can tell.

I pretty much like everyone else, but I agree it's getting to be overload with tournaments.

I got the TS of Megillah, and was surprised nobody else did. But categories are mure luck than anything, I think. If they mine an area you know, they seem easy. If not, they don't. 

My head was spinning when they explained the format of the Tournament. I'm just going to see who turns up in each round, and not try to understand the details. I would like to see each player play against each other player, but I don't know how many permutations are available, i.e. whether they are eliminating people in tiers, or playing everyone til the end and then tallying points. I also missed what the prizes are. I am tired today.

• Like 2
(edited)

If you go to the Jeopardy! website look for News & Events 05.05.2023. You'll find Jeopardy! Masters: How the Competition Works which explains the format and lists the prize structure.

And Bastet - since I'm in Chicago "regular" Jeopardy is over at 4 p.m. and Jeopardy Masters doesn't start until 7 p.m. So I have a nice break between them - time to have dinner, catch some local news and watch some Big Bang Theory reruns.

Edited by chicagofan
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Can't believe Mattea said the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. That was built...er, um, well after 1960.

I would not have known that. When particular bridges were built is not something I have devoted any time to memorizing. My guess was the George Washington Bridge. Only because "Did Gwen Stacy get thrown off the Brooklyn Bridge or the George Washington Bridge?" is a continuing controversy in Spider-Man circles. I'm sure that to New Yorkers, that answer is laughably wrong.

By contrast, I've never even heard of the Manhattan Bridge.  When Sam's answer was revealed, my first thought was "What was he thinking? There's no such bridge!"

I am watching where the Daily Doubles are, but I don't really see the point of revealing them to the home audience. I suppose there are viewers who like to analyze strategy to the level of, "Ooh, he left that category and went to another. If he had stuck with the category, he would have found the Daily Double!", but I don't follow the progress of the games that closely.

Edited by MrAtoz
  • Like 4
18 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

I suppose there are viewers who like to analyze strategy to the level of, "Ooh, he left that category and went to another. If he had stuck with the category, he would have found the Daily Double!", but I don't follow the progress of the games that closely.

I can understand (although it's not anything I enjoy myself) the analysis at the level of "statistically the DDs are more likely to be in X category under $Y, so the contestant should not have chosen Butterflies for $400 at that stage of the game." When they eliminate the question of statistical probability it doesn’t change the contestants' strategy but it confuses the audience's sense of probability vs actuality. Maybe there is something mathematical that I am just not getting but it feels like something that came about from Ken's perspective that doesn't really translate.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, dcalley said:

Hey, I predicted the future! They asked about Parade in tonight's 2nd matchup.

I knew I had seen something about that in one of these threads!

10 hours ago, dcalley said:

I can't get the wording because J-Archive doesn't have it yet, but I'm pretty sure the show used the wrong word in a clue. It said affect instead of the correct effect (as a transitive verb, which takes an object). It was a hacking clue that Andrew got IIRC.

"The act of taking over someone else's computer with the goal of affecting social or political change is this portmanteau word"

I suppose it could be correct either way but I would have used "effect," as well.

9 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

However— it’s limited to just these 6 contestants?? And why these six? According to leaderboard stats, Brad Rutter and Cris Pannullo rank higher than both Andrew He and Sam Buttrey in terms of overall winnings. (Nothing against Sam, I love him and I was rooting for him tonight.) I was expecting more players to join in, so I’m confused.

Yep, just six. Don't know the answer to "why these six?", but I wonder if some you might expect to be involved either weren't interested or were just unavailable.

9 hours ago, possibilities said:

I would like to see each player play against each other player, but I don't know how many permutations are available, i.e. whether they are eliminating people in tiers, or playing everyone til the end and then tallying points. I also missed what the prizes are. I am tired today.

It's a round robin thing, so everyone will play everyone, from what I understand, but I'm not going to try to figure out all the combos.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

It's a round robin thing, so everyone will play everyone, from what I understand, but I'm not going to try to figure out all the combos.

By my calculations they would need 20 games to get through all possible matchups. However although the Masters series is airing 20 games (10 hourlong episodes), after 14 games they are eliminating the bottom 2. So in practice they will not actually cover all possible combinations.

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-events/jeopardy-masters-how-competition-works

10 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

However— it’s limited to just these 6 contestants?? And why these six? According to leaderboard stats, Brad Rutter and Cris Pannullo rank higher than both Andrew He and Sam Buttrey in terms of overall winnings. (

According to my understanding, Cris Pannullo would forfeit his TOC if he participated in the Masters. They did have him as an alternate for the Masters but I think it's better for him to get his TOC. 

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 5

It's not strictly a round robin as the two winners from last night - Andrew and James - will play each other tonight in the second game and tonight's two winners will play each other tomorrow.

Per the Jeopardy website - "The two winners of the previous episode will automatically face each other (always in the second game of the night).  Their third opponent will be determined by a random draw of the remaining players that have not yet competed against the other two together". This will happen in episodes 2 through 7.

So tonight Andrew and James could play any of the other four contestants but that will change going forward depending on who wins.

• Useful 2

Affect is a verb. Effect is a subject (that's what I remember as being the difference & it's how I use these words 😸).  I watched the reveals but quickly forgot where they were. I have enough of a challenge remembering the specifics of some of the categories. Growing up north of NYC, I remember the excitement of the Verrazano Bridge's opening but I've never used it. And the Manhattan Bridge, IMO, should get more attention for its beauty (compared with the stodgy Brooklyn Bridge). Go Amy! Go Sam! And yeah, Go Mattea! 🎉

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)
14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I actually think I did better in these games than I did in tonight's regular game.

I did so much better in the first game and was feeling like a supersmart person until I realized it was probably just because I could do it on Hulu at 10:30am. 

I instagot the first FJ of Ozymandius because of Breaking Bad; I wrongly guessed the George Washington Bridge for the second FJ, but it was a faint memory from my early childhood, and nothing else came to mind.

14 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I appreciated Mattea’s “would you like to share it with the class?” when Sam obviously realized the correct response too late. 

Yes. I especially liked  Mattea’s “would you like to share it with the class?” because it seemed to make Sam feel better.

Both sets of players really sparkled in their asides. 
And, of course, thank goodness Ken was hosting! His spontaneous quips add a lot to what could otherwise be dry and tedious TV.

11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

And why these six? According to leaderboard stats, Brad Rutter and Cris Pannullo rank higher

I wondered if the contestants' personalities on-camera carried any weight. Yes, I know this is a competition with strict rules, but it's also a TV show with an audience, ratings, and bills to pay. 
If this was the case, they should've included Cris Pannullo because the camera loves him. Oh. But now I see that he could only be either on the Masters or on the TOC, and there is more than enough personalty and charm on stage in this Masters, IMO.

I was glad to see my Jeopardy! son, Matt Amodeo again, looking well rested and cheerful. It did take him a bit to get his mojo back, so maybe he'll do better in his next match?

As soon as the first 3 appeared on my screen, I pre-guessed Andrew He as the winner. 

13 hours ago, opus said:

10 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I watched the reveals but quickly forgot where they were.

Yes, forgot where the DDs were, and then I quickly realized that the DD location reveal moment is a chance for me to re-read the category titles. So, yay.
I would love to know if the decision to do the DD reveals was at all influenced by the added bonus of giving the home audience a little more time with an array of the category titles.

Edited by shapeshifter
typo
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Both "affect" and "effect" can be either a noun or a verb.

As verbs:

Affect = to have an influence on

Effect = to cause something to happen (e.g., "effect change")

As nouns:

Affect = a feeling experienced in response to a stimulus (mostly limited to the field of psychology, pronounced with the emphasis on the first syllable)

Effect = a result or outcome

In terms of the clue, either "affect social change" (that is, have an influence on social change) or "effect social change" (that is, bring about social change) could be correct.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Amy looks like she has lost some weight. Not that she needed to- but I don’t remember her looking quite so small.

Overall I enjoyed both games. I do think James is overplaying the villain shtick a bit. I know a lot of people are put off by him but he has actually done a lot for various charities in Las Vegas.

I am partial to Matt and Sam but really I am ok with any of them winning.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Like 2