Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Of Sound Mind

• Start Topic

I'm always reading about how a significant number of husbands leave their wives after the cancer diagnosis so, even though they're fictional, I'm applauding these husbands for their support.

I fully expect Sophie to go through a villain phase due to how little attention she gets from her family. 

I'm amused Kyle gave Jon a shirt that's too big but I hope that's all. Hazing is bad Kyle!

I wonder what it's like for the average Metropolis citizen to glance at the sky and occasionally see Superman flying by.

I like that Peia has bonded with both Clark and Lois. Which probably means she's about to die.

Jon's a good choice to talk to Sophie. 

Uh oh, Supes got lured into a trap. Insert Star Wars gif here.

Jordan's new look is so silly. He looks like a frog.

Oooooooo Spiral Face is Peia?? The new bestie of Clark and Lois??? Nice twist!

Nice juxtaposition of Clark opening up in group and the reveal of Pea's powers.

I did not see Peia as the villain coming. 

I really liked Jon's talk with Sophie, particularly her saying "Jordan's not special." It made me laugh. 

I appreciated Lois staying calm and rational as she sent Jordan off to save Clark. And the conflict on her face when Jon came in all happy during a crisis. 

I think it makes sense for Jordan to be less vulnerable to kryptonite but I feel like they haven't really shown that to be true in the past. Granted he'd never taken a full kryptonite blast to the chest before. 

• Like 3

Say, where has John Henry been for the past couple of episodes?  If Clark is going up against baddies with Kryptonite guns then it sure would be handy if his back up is a human in an armored suit instead of a half-Kryptonian. 

That single K-ray blast seemed pretty effective against Jordan whereas Superman stood up to several rays at once, so I don't get Clark's claim that Jordan's human part makes him less vulnerable to kryptonite, unless they were just putting on a front for Lois.

• Like 3

Feel kind of bad but I also, at times, forget that Sophie exists.  It's isn't just y'all, fellow Lang/Cushings!

Definitely not surprised that Clark would be someone that would not even consider the possibility that Lois could lose this battle and while it is certainly a good thing to be in her corner and not abandon all hope (or her), it is easy to see why that can make it even harder for Lois by having someone who won't talk to her about the harsh truth that this could have a tragic end and its best to have some kind of preparation if they have to move on without her.  Glad they addressed this and now know how to move on.  As usual, both Tyler Hoechlin and Elizabeth Tulloch did great work here.

Clark might be getting into the overprotective side of things when it comes Jordan and superheroing, but he's not completely wrong to be considered because while did help Superman get out of a tight spot, he was still this close to getting hurt or even killed himself.  I do think there is a medium of some kind they can figure out, as he does need room to grow and learn, but he definitely should be just taking on every challenge out there.

At least Lana already discovers Kyle and Chrissy are a thing now, but I suspect this is going to cause some drama.

Michael Bishop really has become Jonathan now in my eyes.  Great casting.

Strange that we didn't see either of the Irons this go around.

So, Spiral Lady is none other than Peia: the cancer patient that both Clark and Lois have been bonding with.  Twist!  Also, it looks like maybe she and Solomon have something going on judging from the way they were acting with one another.  It wasn't played in a sinister way, so I'm guessing there is real love here and Solomon is just some willing to cross lots and lots of ethical lines to save the ones he cares about.  Continue to find him one of the more intriguing villains amongst the Arrowverse.

7 hours ago, baldryanr said:

Say, where has John Henry been for the past couple of episodes?  If Clark is going up against baddies with Kryptonite guns then it sure would be handy if his back up is a human in an armored suit instead of a half-Kryptonian. 

He said in a previous episode that he was going to be away for a while. I don't know where Nat is though.

2 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Michael Bishop really has become Jonathan now in my eyes.  Great casting

I'm still not feeling him as Jonathan yet.

2 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

So, Spiral Lady is none other than Peia: the cancer patient that both Clark and Lois have been bonding with.  Twist!  

Peia is Onomatopoeia. I guessed it write before the reveal. Plus it was suspicious how much screen time she was getting.

• Like 1

Another very strong episode; the show has really picked itself up after the disaster that was season 2.

The fact that they decided to essentially address the jokes about Sophie and make it into a legit plotline, AND tossed in the concerns about Jonathan's invisibility in the family as well, was a nice plot. It worked rather well, addressing Sarah's recent brat behaviour that led to her sister taking off. I really liked seeing Sarah/Jonathan bond a bit, as well. It's easy to forget that they're in the same grade because they've hardly interacted, but I really did like seeing them have those studying scenes together. 

Michael Bishop has officially come in on his own as Jonathan. I LOVED his scene with Sophie; it was very well done and Bishop did an excellent job portraying Jon's emotions. 

So, Lana finds out about Kyle/Chrissy, and Kyle decides that it's time to go public. Lana doesn't really have any room to be pissed off, but I think Kyle is wrong in that Lana might be a bit upset at Chrissy. But I also trust this show, especially this season, to not make her so angry at Chrissy that she blames her for dating Kyle and more upset that she never told her. 

So, Jordan was being a little bit of a brat himself, but he's also had powers for nearly two years and Clark's ONLY training him now. I get he's been busy with saving the world on multiple occasions, but I can see Jordan's frustration with how long it's taken to get to this point. It's especially bad as Clark's struggling with Lois' diagnosis and that's affecting his training with Jordan. But man, Clark, you gotta make sure everyone in that warehouse is unconscious because if someone caught the panic over Jordan being injured? They'd be exposing you SO hard. 

Peia being Spiral Lady was an interesting twist, along with the fact that she's Bruno's wife. 

• Like 4

I didn't really care for this episode.  The only good things were 1) the reveal of Peia as the Spiral Lady, 2) Lois dealing with her cancer and Clark learning to accept it, and 3) Jonathan.

I was supremely irritated with Jordan.  I know it would never happen, but I wish they would kill him off or send him away.  I can't stand the whining and complaining and the angst.  Is this kid ever happy?  Whined through the first two seasons about Sarah.  Now whining about not being able to use his powers fully.  His costume looks utterly ridiculous.  And I forsee a Jon/Sarah romance brewing.  Jordan was shocked and upset that Jon even talked to Sarah.

Also supremely irritated with Sophie.  "Everyone always forgets about me.  They never want me around."  Well yeah, she is gone from the show for weeks at a time and nobody even mentions her anymore.  Just ship her off to boarding school permanently.

And irritated with Kyle and Chrissy.  How did Lana not know they were together?  Why is Kyle asking Chrissy to "go public"?  They already danced at the high school dance like they were sleeping together.  How do people not know already?

Does Peia know that Clark is Superman?  Obviously she knows who Lois Lane is, and that Lois is very close to Superman.  I guess in this world no one wonders exactly why Superman is so close to Lois and why he resembles her husband.  Clark calling out Jordan's name, surely one of the bad guys heard him, even though we were shown they had all disappeared.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

So, Lana finds out about Kyle/Chrissy, and Kyle decides that it's time to go public. Lana doesn't really have any room to be pissed off, but I think Kyle is wrong in that Lana might be a bit upset at Chrissy. But I also trust this show, especially this season, to not make her so angry at Chrissy that she blames her for dating Kyle and more upset that she never told her. 

I have to disagree. I think Lana does have room to be pissed with the romance. First off, Kyle was supposed to be watching their children. His secret romance resulted in him lying about where he was and resulted in Sophie going missing. Second, we have to remember the reason for their divorce. Kyle cheated on Lana for months to the point he was planning to leave her and the kids for the other woman. The only reason he didn't was because of Sarah's suicide attempt. And now he's dating somene new not that long after finalizing the divorce. Especially as Kyle expressed he didn't want the divorce and still loves Lana. This is probably a little slap in the face to her.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

This show continues to delight me. Imagine enjoying watching a cancer story that is so well written and so beautifully acted. 

I was scared they might actually have Lois die, until I saw that her new friend is in the rose-faced costume. That took me right out of concern for Lois. For the moment. 

Poor Kyle cannot catch a break with his ex, Lana. She is one angry woman. I'm not saying she doesn't have some right to be angry with him because of the affair, but he wanted to come back, he tried to be better. I dunno, slapping her daughter and the constant anger pulsing off of her makes me think she's ripe for a villain turn herself. She really hasn't been shown to be able to think of others very much. "I'm so busy, I have so much to do, I can't pay attention to anyone else but my mayor self right now."  

Kyle and Chrissy are cute together, but I worry that Chrissy will get her heart broken. Has she never heard of rebound relationships? 

Despite these observations, Superman and Lois has become appointment television for me. I'm really enjoying this season.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I called it a few weeks ago that Bruno was being motivated by not being able to save someone he cared about, I just thought it was someone in the past, not his wife - nicely done show!  Anyone else thinking they’ll pair off Johnathan and Sarah romantically?  Either way, I’m liking the potential for Jon to become a heroic human, through the fire service.  And, at the risk of being shallow, this week has convinced me that Tyler Hoechlin must give great hugs😍

• Like 3

Clark is pushing his anxiety about lois onto Jordan, for sure. Clark became a hero on his own, though, and he must be anxious about teaching Jordan and perhaps anxious because some scary things happened to him.

It occurs to me that Jordan's powers are isolating him from his peers again,which isn't a good thing. He needs more events and people so he can move on and not be jealous of jonathan's human interactions. Jonathan going out with Sarah, under the circumstances would be a bit of a jerk move, for both Jonathan and Sarah, so i hope they don't go there.

I think Lana hasn't really processed the divorce, she is avoiding her feelings by  throwing herself into the work of running for mayor and being mayor, and it is catching up with her. Clark needs to fly her somewhere for a platonic vacation. She is right to be angry at Kyle, though, for not paying attention to Sophie. He certainly shouldn't have gone off for hanky panky in the middle of watching his kid.

So, Superman's blood prolongs life but it doesn't cure the cancer. Mannheim isn't there yet, whatever he is doing, and the collateral damage is heavy. I hope Lois isn't being infused with some of the same stuff.

7 hours ago, blackwing said:

Does Peia know that Clark is Superman?  Obviously she knows who Lois Lane is, and that Lois is very close to Superman.  I guess in this world no one wonders exactly why Superman is so close to Lois and why he resembles her husband.  Clark calling out Jordan's name, surely one of the bad guys heard him, even though we were shown they had all disappeared.

Yeah, but Clark wears glasses.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
15 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Michael Bishop has officially come in on his own as Jonathan. I LOVED his scene with Sophie; it was very well done and Bishop did an excellent job portraying Jon's emotions. 

ITA sooooo much with this!  It continues to amaze me how Michael Bishop has so seamlessly and effortlessly slipped into the role. Recasts don’t usually work this great this quickly, right?  Bravo bravo bravo Michael.

8 hours ago, BeautifulFlower said:

I have to disagree. I think Lana does have room to be pissed with the romance. First off, Kyle was supposed to be watching their children. His secret romance resulted in him lying about where he was and resulted in Sophie going missing. Second, we have to remember the reason for their divorce. Kyle cheated on Lana for months to the point he was planning to leave her and the kids for the other woman. The only reason he didn't was because of Sarah's suicide attempt. And now he's dating somene new not that long after finalizing the divorce. Especially as Kyle expressed he didn't want the divorce and still loves Lana. This is probably a little slap in the face to her.

Yeah, Lana’s ego might take a beating from how quickly Kyle moved on after the divorce, but I hope the bolded is how the show presents why Lana was angry.  Please show, don’t let me down and give us jealous, angry Lana  or a Lana who is angry because she wasn’t told immediately about the Chrissy/Kyle relationship.

oh, and please no!!! on a possible Jonathan/Sarah romance.  Let them stay friends. 

• Like 1
On 4/25/2023 at 8:00 PM, scarynikki12 said:

I'm amused Kyle gave Jon a shirt that's too big but I hope that's all. Hazing is bad Kyle!

Given what we know about Kyle, it seems like the only hazing he'd do is the rookie shit.  Like Jon having to wash the truck constantly, or the shirt with the wrong name.  Maybe telling Jon that he had to bring chips and soda for the house.  Harmless stuff that isn't a felony.

Tyler Hoechlin is a fantastic live action Superman, but he's the best live action Clark Kent.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, ukgirl71 said:

And, at the risk of being shallow, this week has convinced me that Tyler Hoechlin must give great hugs😍

I'll risk it, did you see his biceps in that last hug with Lois?!?

Nice episode. I really loved Clark and Lois' talk at the end and his feelings of helplessness. I was more than a little annoyed at Jordan, but he's a teenager, they sincerely think they know it all. I don't understand how Jordan being half human might make him stronger than Superman though. I would think he wouldn't get the same strength etc. that Superman does from Earth's sun because he's from earth.

How old is Sophie supposed to be? I'm not sure if she's tall for her age or if Sara is just short. But that baby voice got on my nerves. But Sara and Sophie are not little children who can't be left home alone for a couple hours, I didn't get Lana's anger, other than she was panicked.

Loved Lois having someone to talk to about what she's going through, too bad she's a villain. But maybe a change of heart is coming?

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, jah1986 said:

How old is Sophie supposed to be?

I don't know if we've ever been told but she looks around 12 to me. Which is old enough for her to be left alone for a few hours. Especially when her older sister is with her.

• Like 4
19 hours ago, BeautifulFlower said:

His secret romance resulted in him lying about where he was and resulted in Sophie going missing. 

Hard disagree here. He left Sophie with her older sister who was completely irresponsible with her. Sarah is old enough to watch her sister for an hour or two 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Diapason Untuned said:

Hard disagree here. He left Sophie with her older sister who was completely irresponsible with her. Sarah is old enough to watch her sister for an hour or two 

People will have to agree to disagree about how much responsibility Sarah bears, but to me, the person who holds the most culpability is their dad, you know, the adult - whereas Sarah is still a minor.  Compound that with the ridiculous reason Kyle left them :  he wanted to go “hiking“ with his new girlfriend!  That’s not a good reason. Kyle could go “hiking” with Chrissy whenever it was not his turn with his kids.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, norcalgal said:

People will have to agree to disagree about how much responsibility Sarah bears, but to me, the person who holds the most culpability is their dad, you know, the adult - whereas Sarah is still a minor.  Compound that with the ridiculous reason Kyle left them :  he wanted to go “hiking“ with his new girlfriend!  That’s not a good reason. Kyle could go “hiking” with Chrissy whenever it was not his turn with his kids.

He left the two of them alone for an hour. I think a 15-16 year old could be trusted to watch their sister for that period of time, especially when it wasn't the dad's day to have her over. 

• Like 2
23 hours ago, blackwing said:

I will go with the convention of the show that people just can't see it. The glasses obscure anyone from guessing. When Lana found out she made a remark about how did she not see it? Indeed, Lana. 

I think it was stupid that supes was calling Jordan's name. I only hope they address giving Jordan a code name in another episode. Also stupid why does Jordan have goggles that are just normal. The first time he uses his heat vision won't they be destroyed? 

I wasn't thrilled with this episode. It was wayyy to soap opera. I resent the entire cancer storyline because obviously Lois isn't going to die and I think on a show like this it is insulting to bring it out. I also get irritated at the idea this is the first time Clark might really consider Lois could die and he couldn't do anything. Pregnancy with alien twins that you can't tell medical authorities about is the stuff of pure terror. 

• Like 1

Just got the double meaning of "Of Sound Mind" both referring to the phrase from wills and Spiral Face being a sound-based villain.

I was starting to suspect that Lois's new friend was too good to be true, but didn't put together that she was Spiral Face! Kudos for the show being able to surprise me yet again. I do like the parallelism of Lois and Clark vs. Pia and Bruno, and our villiains having relatable motives that don't go all the way into mwa-ha-ha evil like old Ally.

I'm torn because the material about Lois's cancer has gravitas and gets to showcase Tyler and Bitsy's talents. But I really want some more escapism in my superhero shows so dealing with real-world stuff like that isn't the best as far as I'm concerned.

I loved Jordan calling "Li'l Kent" as the worst rapper in Kansas. Also, there are two Li'l Kents.

I hope and pray that Jordan and Sarah remain 100 percent purely platonic.

Co-sign the dislike of Jordan's super-outfit and the silliness of him not having a super-code name. I keep on thinking: would it really kill Supes to just keep a lead plate in his cape to try and deal with the inevitable use of Kryptonite? Honestly, I'd just make me a lead suit and fly around in it all the time.

I'm not a particular fan of either Kyle or Chrissy, but I'm warming to them as a couple more than I thought I would. I do find it's kind of hard to reconcile Kyle's jealousy over JHI merely working on the security system for Lana and his relatively recent feelings of "maybe we can reconcile" to be at odds with "Chrissy Marie Beppo, will you be my girlfriend?" But oh well.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

I'm torn because the material about Lois's cancer has gravitas and gets to showcase Tyler and Bitsy's talents. But I really want some more escapism in my superhero shows so dealing with real-world stuff like that isn't the best as far as I'm concerned.

This is where I'm at as well. Full Disclosure: Breast Cancer Survivor/Remission here. While I've had rage blackouts at how other shows depict such a storyline, I will admit this show has done a good job of it, but like @Chicago Redshirt, I really want more escapism and superheroing in this show.

I knew Peia was too good to be true. And her full defense of Manheim was the nail in the coffin, so to speak.

I still find Jordan to be a whiny McWhinyson. And he really needs a flippin' haircut!

I'm really enjoying the recast Jonathan-and agree that he's fit into the role almost seamlessly.

And on a purely shallow note, I reallllllllyyyyyyyy want a hug from Tyler.

12 hours ago, Jediknight said:

Tyler Hoechlin is a fantastic live action Superman, but he's the best live action Clark Kent.

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

• Hugs 1

I seem to recall reading, before the season started, something along the lines of Chrissy having difficulty keeping Clark’s secret from her new boyfriend, so what’s the betting Kyle will be in on the secret before too long?  It would make sense, all the main characters being in the know.

9 hours ago, Diapason Untuned said:

He left the two of them alone for an hour. I think a 15-16 year old could be trusted to watch their sister for that period of time, especially when it wasn't the dad's day to have her over. 

Well honestly Sophue was ild enough to be left alone by most standards. I think it was that Kyle had accepted responsibility and shirked it. He passed it off on Sarah, who had her own issues. And Sophie disappeared without telling anyone where she was going. So lana is mad at Kyle. It makes sense. It isn’t reason. It is probably a thing kyle has done before. 

Edited by Affogato
  • Like 1

One other thing to add:

It is kind of ridiculous to me the notion that Lois did not have a will before this episode. Probably every adult with kids should have one just to be on the safe side in general.

But given that she's Lois Lane and her life is threatened every other week and presumably has been for the last 20 or so years, it's particularly irresponsible.

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Lana blew off plans with Sophie and left her at the beginning of the episode. She tried to pawn her off on Sarah but Sarah told her no, she was too busy with studying. Lana just left them anyway. So she was even worse than Kyle. We didn't see that Sophie had any plans with Kyle. Sophie even begged Lana to take her with her. Sophie ran away because of how she is treated by Lana, Sarah and Kyle, not just Kyle. Lana is a hypocrite and needs to take responsibility too. She doesn't want Kyle, so he is free to see anyone he wants to. 

UO but I don't really like Sarah and I'm indifferent for the most part on Lana. I'd enjoy it more if  Lois, Clark & family were in Metropolis, working at the Daily Planet and visiting Smallville every once in a while. 

I love how they are showing the Superman/Clark and Lois relationship this year. More sexy and loving than previously. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
On 4/27/2023 at 8:24 AM, jah1986 said:

How old is Sophie supposed to be? I'm not sure if she's tall for her age or if Sara is just short. But that baby voice got on my nerves. But Sara and Sophie are not little children who can't be left home alone for a couple hours, I didn't get Lana's anger, other than she was panicked.

The Sophie thing... Ughh.

Shoe looks like she's in middle school but they are treating her and she's acting like a toddler. She's old enough to be on her own for a bit, even more so with a 16 year old sister. Jfc, Kyle was at a convenience store within walking distance.

And asking if the fair is going on? Ok, we know it's a month after the Valentine's dance, so mid March.  She's asking if the fair, that takes place in the summer, is going on when it's not even really spring yet? She's way too old to not have any concept of what season it is or when events like that happen. Hell, when I was in like first or second grade, I understood that those were some of things(fairs and festivals) that happened over summer break that i looked forward to.

Also, this is still the kids sophomore year. The whole Kyle/Lana breakup began after the school year started and divorce was finalized by February. That's really, really fast.

Weirdest, unnecessary dialogue. 

"I'm late for an interview with Chrissy Beppo from the Gazzette"

1. Way more information than your kids have any interest in.

2. Way more information than we need in a town with one publication in town and basically 2 reporters, 

Edited by moonshine71
  • Like 1
On 4/27/2023 at 5:01 PM, Chicago Redshirt said:

But given that she's Lois Lane and her life is threatened every other week and presumably has been for the last 20 or so years, it's particularly irresponsible.

Not to mention how many times Clark has come close to death.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Cthulhudrew said:

How do they go from Jordan lying unconscious, green wound steaming on his chest, and the veins on his chest and neck black and distended to "Kryptonite doesn't affect him. He's totally fine!"?

That's what I couldn't figure out, but I thought maybe I should watch it again before I commented, and I haven't had time to rewatch.

• Like 1
On 4/28/2023 at 9:44 PM, Cthulhudrew said:

How do they go from Jordan lying unconscious, green wound steaming on his chest, and the veins on his chest and neck black and distended to "Kryptonite doesn't affect him. He's totally fine!"?

I thought perhaps they said that because Jordan shook it off and healed himself relatively quickly.  Of course it still doesn’t jive with how Superman was dealing with three beams at once, and only a single blast knocked Jordan down.

• Like 2

Wasn't the beam different? Like the beams were lazers and the blast was like a shotgun blast. It looked much more powerful impact wise. The beams didnt have much as much force it looked.

Also Superman is way stronger than Jordan overall. 

On 4/27/2023 at 10:10 PM, JKL845 said:

Lana blew off plans with Sophie and left her at the beginning of the episode. She tried to pawn her off on Sarah but Sarah told her no, she was too busy with studying. Lana just left them anyway. So she was even worse than Kyle. We didn't see that Sophie had any plans with Kyle. Sophie even begged Lana to take her with her. Sophie ran away because of how she is treated by Lana, Sarah and Kyle, not just Kyle. Lana is a hypocrite and needs to take responsibility too. She doesn't want Kyle, so he is free to see anyone he wants to. 

Since I taught middle school, I didn't see Kyle leaving the kids for a few hours as soooooo terrible.  Shoot I was younger than Sarah when I was left at home with my baby brother and sister for several hours.  But it was more the sneaking to be with his girlfriend and Lana isn't over what happened.  Sophie sitting in the empty fairgrounds, was so they could film the scene with Jonathan and Sophie there. 

This was the best scene that Jonathan has gotten this season and it was a strong one so I'll give it a little slack since it was plot driven for character development.  I agree the point was to show that both Lana, Kyle, and Sarah are ignoring Sophie.  Without this scene, she isn't really needed, is she?

One issue I've had with Jonathan this season as he didn't really have much to do.  This was the first time that I felt he was needed. 

On 4/28/2023 at 8:44 PM, Cthulhudrew said:

? this is a major issue so is Clark covering up how close they came to losing his son today?  I suspect the slipup on calling Jordan's name will be used against the family soon.  For those that hate Jordan's whining, is again plot-driven.  They can't figure out how to create conflict without it.  It's also something his character would do, as he doesn't really have a handle on how to deal with his social interactions.

On 4/25/2023 at 8:00 PM, scarynikki12 said:

Oooooooo Spiral Face is Peia?? The new bestie of Clark and Lois??? Nice twist!

Nice juxtaposition of Clark opening up in group and the reveal of Pea's powers.

I agree.  Fact, I'm liking this villain better than season 2 as both are not all bad.  This was the first one that I need to watch again.

• Like 1