Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

There were a couple of TWoP forums I avoided after awhile. The one I remember best was Angel where the mod hated Wesley so you'd better, too, if you were going to post there. I witnessed a poster getting banned solely for asking another (Wesley neutral) poster to explain why they'd said something negative about the character--a specific remark not a general Wesley sucks post--like what is the part of the episode you mean, what action.

I was also snarked at once by a mod and it made me see red because of course if I replied in kind I would've been banned.

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
41 minutes ago, Anela said:

I had a friend expecting me to fall in with their crowd, because I was outnumbered. So the “think for yourself” crowd, didn’t really want me to think for myself.  And it didn’t change anything for me.  

I saw that happen here. There were posters I had seen for years and thought very highly of them.  Until I saw their posts on a particular thread. They either were not the people I thought they were or they were simply joining in with the majority of posters who were not nice people.   

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
(edited)

I always considered I made a traffic light as long as I don't come to a complete stop.

Driving home today I rolled l up to a few red lights.  Right before I was about to fully slam on the brakes to completely stop the lights turned green.  So therefore in my mind I didn't actually hit a red light.  

Edited by BlueSkies
1 hour ago, Anela said:

So the “think for yourself” crowd, didn’t really want me to think for myself.

Wonderful title for a blog!

35 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Oh, TWoP, what a trip down memory lane!…
…I would spend my lunch hours reading recaps and forums. 

How else would I have kept my sanity? 

I don't suppose anyone here was on the FanForum thread:
AWACS - At Work And Can't Stay off the boards  ?

• Like 3

I miss the days of jumping on TWOP after a show and having pages of discussion (I started with Gilmore Girls) and just loved analyzing every nuance, then waiting for the recap to be up the next day. And then there were the Jacob recaps!!

And I also love The Amazing Race recaps 😊

• Like 5
  • Useful 3
54 minutes ago, ABay said:

There were a couple of TWoP forums I avoided after awhile. The one I remember best was Angel where the mod hated Wesley so you'd better, too, if you were going to post there. I witnessed a poster getting banned solely for asking another (Wesley neutral) poster to explain why they'd said something negative about the character--a specific remark not a general Wesley sucks post--like what is the part of the episode you mean, what action.

I was also snarked at once by a mod and it made me see red because of course if I replied in kind I would've been banned.

I never knew what TWoP was, therefor never joined.  Who knew what these threads were.  I’ve gotten 3 bans total, and it was insulting to say the least, as I was just sticking up for myself.  It was a horror getting back on as you had to change everything.  Some posters were very rude, and a couple were very helpful.  Right now, everyone is letting loose,so what’s wrong with that?  At least we’re not getting punished.  I wonder what’s going on anyhow.  Seems weird.  TWoP sounded like jail.  Too many rules and regulations.  How was that fun?  I don’t get why posters stayed on there.  I don’t get it.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

“DON'T post in a thread until you've read at least the last fifteen pages or days of content”

I like that rule.  I find it disrespectful for someone to expect other people to read his posts but he can't be bothered to read theirs, especially since this person is probably saying something that's already been said.  Or worse, something that's been said and rebutted, which he'd know if he'd read the previous posts, so all he's doing is putting the misinformation back out there.

• Like 11
  • Applause 1
8 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

How was that fun?  I don’t get why posters stayed on there.  I don’t get it.

Really entertaining recaps.  And very interesting (mostly) discussion.  I loved hanging out reading, although I didn't post much.

• Like 15
21 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

especially since this person is probably saying something that's already been said.

I found the 15/15 rule excessive, but I long for a moderate requirement when I come across one too many "Am I the only one who thinks [idea that has been discussed in several recent posts]?" posts in a day.

• Like 9
  • Applause 2

Can’t believe it’s been ten years since I posted on the Gilmore Girls, View, and Duggars (mostly small talk….I think they had that??) TWOP threads. Seems like yesterday. 

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Love2dance said:

Can’t believe it’s been ten years since I posted on the Gilmore Girls, View, and Duggars (mostly small talk….I think they had that??) TWOP threads. Seems like yesterday. 

God, I wish they'd bring Gilmore Girls back to cable. I could watch it a zillion times. It's one of my comfort shows.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Heh, I only figured out what TWoP's "boards on boards" meant here on PT in the last year or so. At least, I think I figured it out. It means talking about how the site is moderated? But since I never knew what it meant on TWoP, I can't speak to specifically what constituted a minor or a ban-able infraction there.

I think maybe any use of words like "TVWoP" or "site" triggered investigation, LOL.

I got a demerit once when I posted on a popular TV show episode thread about an hour after the episode aired —
Probably Lost? I had to work until 10 p.m. on Wednesdays
— and there were already about 30 pages of comments, and I had the foolish audacity to preface my post with something like "I've only read the last 5 pages of posts…."

I hadn't felt so bad since my first grade teacher told the class that everyone who was not in their seat had to go and put their heads down on their desks for 10 minutes.

I was banned for the same reason and was devastated. Think I even said I’ve only read last three pages because I have to go out the door. Gone I was. 

• Hugs 8
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Anyhoo, I found an old post of mine from 2014, where we were chatting about where to go after TWoP shut down:
 https://web.archive.org/web/20140329231916/http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/topic/3220621-the-sci-fi-meet-market-life-after-twop/#entry16430522

I found a post of mine also from 2014 on this thread:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140330012151/http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/topic/3191930-worst-cooks-in-america/page-56#entry16428344

It's toward the bottom on the page on the "Worst Cooks in America" thread.  I was talking about the board closing and how sad I was about it.  My screen name on TWOP was "intuition".  That was a rough year for me.  I had the boss from hell that year so I wasn't posting that much.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 8
7 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

I know I'm thin skinned and very sensitive. It's not the 1st time my feelings have been hurt here at Primetimer and I have to give great big thank you's to @Yeah No and to @shapeshifter, who either messaged me directly, or came to my defense online. 

I remember that and thank you!

7 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Sometimes it's hard to discern tone from written post but you can tell when someone is being an asshole to you.  There was one particular poster (she doesn't post anymore) who was always snotty when commenting on one of my posts. But then she would turn around and like one of my posts.  I feel like some people like to do the gotcha game.  Just waiting for someone to get something wrong so they can pounce and say you were wrong. 

I've had that happen here every now and then.  I seem to attract that kind of thing.  I never did on TWOP, though.

5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I've got three big red warnings on this site. I don't dare tell you about them but they're still in my profile.

I've got a few myself.   Some are just notes which I think are less of an "offense" than warnings.  Most are head scratchers, though.

3 hours ago, Bastet said:

I found the 15/15 rule excessive, but I long for a moderate requirement when I come across one too many "Am I the only one who thinks [idea that has been discussed in several recent posts]?" posts in a day.

Same here.  I have a personal peeve when I've mentioned something and then someone posts on the same page to say the same exact thing like they never read my post.  Another thing that happens to me all the time for some reason.  Makes me think it's something I'm doing wrong.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
(edited)

I’ve had people get downright rude with me, when I hadn’t intended to offend anyone, or they twisted something I said. That happened a couple of times, years ago. I’ve had my feelings hurt a lot, at times.  When it happened the first time, it was four months after I’d been in the hospital, when I was suicidal, and I was still very delicate.  I got out of jury duty for that reason, too, the same month.  

If I disagree with someone, it doesn’t mean that I hate them. I have strong social anxiety, so I’ve taken it that way before, but I try not to.  

it’s easier for me to not take offense, when I think someone is insulting me, in a way that would hurt them. My sister used to do that.

Edited by Anela
  • Hugs 15
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Really entertaining recaps.  And very interesting (mostly) discussion.  I loved hanging out reading, although I didn't post much.

Sounds like it was interesting.  Thanks for the info.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Anela said:

I’ve had people get downright rude with me, when I hadn’t intended to offend anyone, or they twisted something I said. That happened a couple of times, years ago. I’ve had my feelings hurt a lot, at times.  When it happened the first time, it was four months after I’d been in the hospital, when I was suicidal, and I was still very delicate.  I got out of jury duty for that reason, too, the same month.  

If I disagree with someone, it doesn’t mean that I hate them. I have strong social anxiety, so I’ve taken it that way before, but I try not to.  

it’s easier for me to not take offense, when I think someone is insulting me, in a way that would hurt them. My sister used to do that.

That is too bad.  I believe if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing.  Now, I jus block the wise asses, and feel much better.  It took awhile to learn.  Not everyone has good intentions.  No need. 😀This thread should be fun, not combatable.  We don’t need anxiety at this point.  Live and learn.

• Like 10
(edited)
13 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I've got three big red warnings on this site. I don't dare tell you about them but they're still in my profile.

Whaaaat?   I cannot believe you got three red warnings.  You ?  I have two sitting there wondering if anyone sees them.  I feel better now knowing I’m not the only one.  I’m just learning so many of us have them.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 5
  • Wink 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, kristen111 said:

TWoP sounded like jail.  Too many rules and regulations.  How was that fun?  I don’t get why posters stayed on there.  I don’t get it.

It really wasn't. It was fun because we got to snark on shows and I made some good online friends. Plus the wonderful snarky recappers. Omar who recapped Smallville for most of its run; and Jacob.

No rules, you get chaos.

• Like 15
6 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Whaaaat?   I cannot believe you got three red warnings.  You ?  I have two sitting there wondering if anyone sees them.  I feel better now knowing I’m not the only one.  I’m just learning so many of us have them.

I got a warning back during the pandemic for mentioning that my state had issued a mask mandate on the grounds that I was discussing politics. I did not mention anything political at all.  It was just a simple statement.  I got another permanent warning telling me that a temporary warning issued to me previously was now becoming a permanent one.  So two for the price of one!

• Mind Blown 5
  • Angry 1

Regular posters cannot see any warnings you have received.  That is between you and the mods.  The downside to this is that you will never know if a person you reported for whatever reason has gotten a warning.  I have never had a mod reach out to follow up on any report that I have done.  

• Useful 4
12 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I like that rule.  I find it disrespectful for someone to expect other people to read his posts but he can't be bothered to read theirs, especially since this person is probably saying something that's already been said.  Or worse, something that's been said and rebutted, which he'd know if he'd read the previous posts, so all he's doing is putting the misinformation back out there.

This is why I rarely posted on the Succession or This is Us thread.  By the time I watched the episode the morning after it aired there would be multiple pages of posts. Anything I was going to say was already covered. I did enjoy reading the posts though.  Other posters would see things I had missed or a poster had an analysis I hadn't previously thought about.

I used to think I was the only one getting in trouble.  Until I noticed some fellow posters were no longer around but new posters that sounded just like them had suddenly appeared.  And then I thought oh I'm in good company.

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 6
(edited)
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

I think a thoughtfully worded "suggestion" of reading the last 2 pages would be helpful. 

9 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Same here.  I have a personal peeve when I've mentioned something and then someone posts on the same page to say the same exact thing like they never read my post.  Another thing that happens to me all the time for some reason.  Makes me think it's something I'm doing wrong.

I don't mind when someone posts the same thing I just did. On FanForum (early aughts) my ego would make me respond with something about how if 2 or more of us came up with the same plot theory, it must be true. Now I mostly just mildly hrmph to myself. 😉

What bugs me is when someone posts about how they didn't like something a character did, and then I follow up with a reply about how that wasn't exactly what happened (quoting some throwaway lines that were easily missed), and then, about an hour later, someone else makes the same complaint again, about 2 posts down on the page, often on the only page of posts.😵‍💫

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

I got a warning back during the pandemic for mentioning that my state had issued a mask mandate on the grounds that I was discussing politics. I did not mention anything political at all.  It was just a simple statement.  I got another permanent warning telling me that a temporary warning issued to me previously was now becoming a permanent one.  So two for the price of one!

So, we were at their mercy.  Someone a while back mentioned lots of changes coming.  Hmmm, Wonder if they are starting.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

It really wasn't. It was fun because we got to snark on shows and I made some good online friends. Plus the wonderful snarky recappers. Omar who recapped Smallville for most of its run; and Jacob.

No rules, you get chaos.

Damn .. I wish TW.oP or something like it would come back.  It sounds so interesting.   I feel like something is brewing.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The downside to this is that you will never know if a person you reported for whatever reason has gotten a warning

I once reported an incredibly vicious, hateful personal message I received from another poster.  The moderator's response "Aw, Diddums, as your mommy taught you, when someone hurts your feelings you should just ignore them".  I'm unaware whether that poster received so much as a slap on the wrist, but I assume not since she subsequently was made a moderator.  So the "ignore" feature no longer worked.  Did you know you can't put moderators on "ignore"? 

• Mind Blown 8
  • Useful 2
2 minutes ago, Quof said:

I once reported an incredibly vicious, hateful personal message I received from another poster.  The moderator's response "Aw, Diddums, as your mommy taught you, when someone hurts your feelings you should just ignore them".  I'm unaware whether that poster received so much as a slap on the wrist, but I assume not since she subsequently was made a moderator.  So the "ignore" feature no longer worked.  Did you know you can't put moderators on "ignore"? 

Yes, I knew you cannot put a mod on ignore.  I had an issue with a (hopefully now former) mod in one the forums that got sunsetted last year, and had to report one of their replies to me that was way out of line and very hurtful.  I mentioned that I could not ignore them because they were a mod.  I'm still a bit pissed that I never received an apology from whichever mod received that report or from the old community manager.  And as far as I could tell, nothing was done to the mod for that reply.  

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 8
38 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Yes, I knew you cannot put a mod on ignore.  I had an issue with a (hopefully now former) mod in one the forums that got sunsetted last year, and had to report one of their replies to me that was way out of line and very hurtful.  I mentioned that I could not ignore them because they were a mod.  I'm still a bit pissed that I never received an apology from whichever mod received that report or from the old community manager.  And as far as I could tell, nothing was done to the mod for that reply.  

Craziness. I guess it's easy for some people to become power mad when given even the teeniest bit of control. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
17 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Craziness. I guess it's easy for some people to become power mad when given even the teeniest bit of control. 

For me it was like high school with the mods.  There was a clique that ruled the school and if you were part of the clique or was friendly with someone in the clique it was all good but if you weren't you were at their mercy.  If you acted up didn't fall in line you were cast out or brought to heel.  Certain threads were just too toxic to even read towards the end. It baffled me then and still confounds me that a site about TV and celebs could have gotten so out of control to the point an entire new moderating team had to be brought in.

• Like 4
  • Fire 4
45 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

For me it was like high school with the mods.  There was a clique that ruled the school and if you were part of the clique or was friendly with someone in the clique it was all good but if you weren't you were at their mercy.  If you acted up didn't fall in line you were cast out or brought to heel.  Certain threads were just too toxic to even read towards the end. It baffled me then and still confounds me that a site about TV and celebs could have gotten so out of control to the point an entire new moderating team had to be brought in.

When did the new moderating team arrive? I was being so cautious toward the end...maybe I didn't notice.

2 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Damn .. I wish TW.oP or something like it would come back.  It sounds so interesting.   I feel like something is brewing.

TWOP was not fun--not after you were suspended and/or received a warning. Primetimer has been wonderful, IMO.

• Like 6
6 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

When did the new moderating team arrive? I was being so cautious toward the end...maybe I didn't notice.

It was earlier this year but I don't remember exactly when.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

It baffled me then and still confounds me that a site about TV and celebs could have gotten so out of control to the point an entire new moderating team had to be brought in.

LOL - there's a site that aggregates daily comics that I check once in a while when I don't "get" a comic in my paper.  It allows comments, and most of them are nice, but whew boy, there's a small percent that are 1000% meaner than the worst I've seen here!  Nasty, personal & political attacks, deliberate spoilers, you name it.  But it's okay, because you can't cuss ;-)

• LOL 6

Are we talking about TWOP with all new moderators, or Primetimer? I thought someone was saying that TWOP had to bring in new mods as the previous ones were so awful (not long before TWOP shut down for good). That's what I was reacting to. I thought Primetimer was shut down for a week for just for technical problems. 

• Like 2

I forgot what my FIRST handle was on TwoP, but that one was banned.  Circa 2005 or so because I was too opinionated on one of the boards.  Came back a few years later and moved here when they shut.  I was active on a miscellaneous board about diversity, SATC, Gilmore Girls and likely Desperate Housewives as well.   

• Like 4

I try to avoid posting about the political shows entirely. I think my warnings were all from The View. Lol I genuinely get confused about what’s acceptable and not, so I mostly stick with general chat and Real Housewives forums. This board is my favorite place. I don’t use social media, so I’d be really bummed if I got banned. 

• Like 8
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I think my warnings were all from The View.

Amen sister.  LOL.  That board was a minefield.  Remember the trolls that would appear and stir things up and then disappear?

• Like 3
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

Buying a cake sampler meant for 2. Yeah it’s me and me eating that cake like it’s calorie free lol. 

There's a meme going around that could describe me: "I am a single female who lives alone but according to the back of the box of Kraft Dinner I'm a family of 4"!

The prices of cakes from a Bakery is outrageous.  $25 for a normal size.  $15 for a smaller one.  I rather have the oatmeal/raison cookies from Costco.

• Like 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Are we talking about TWOP with all new moderators, or Primetimer?

To clarify, they are talking about the former mods here, who were fired or quit, not the current team. It was a very disturbing behind the scenes situation going on with the former Community Manager and her team of problematic mods supporting posts that contained racist content, etc.

I am quite happy with how this site feels after the shake up TBH, and I think the new mods are doing a really good job, especially considering what they walked into. By and large, we're left to self moderate and I think it's been going well, it feels smooth and calm here now. We can post knowing there are no ragey shenanigans going on BTS. I appreciate that!

Edited by surfgirl
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 3
4 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

TWOP was not fun--not after you were suspended and/or received a warning. Primetimer has been wonderful, IMO.

I was under the impression that lots of people loved TWOP.  They loved reading the stuff the next day especially.  I have no idea what it was like.  How long did it last?

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

was under the impression that lots of people loved TWOP

I didn’t really like TWoP, having been banned three times for no real reason, I found it to be a very toxic environment.  But sometimes I wanted to know what other people thought of tv shows that I watched and there was really no other place to do that.  I never read any of the recaps and wasn’t really familiar with the mods.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2
  • Applause 1
41 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

How long did it last?

In all its incarnations, a little over 15 years.  It started out as just a site about Dawson's Creek, then became Mighty Big TV when it expanded the next year to snark on TV shows in general.  Several years later, it became TWoP.  Bravo bought it from the site founders about five years after that, and those founders later established Previously.TV, which is now Primetimer.  When TWoP was shut down in 2014, word got around that PTV existed, and a bunch of us joined what was then a pretty small forum that got a lot bigger.  At some point (I don't know if it was when PTV became Primetimer), the founders sold this place, too.

• Like 7
  • Useful 8

TWOP had really good recaps back in the day when if you missed a show and couldn't record it (many people couldn't) you could still find out what happened.  The recap writers were professional and semi-professional writers.

This site doesn't have that, but they have lots of forums where you can discuss shows and pets and whatever.  And it's all free.  I'm willing to follow a few rules like no politics or no discussion of Megan Markle or no boards on boards for that.

When I've had problems on this site, the people I have contacted have been professional and committed to solving them.  The only problem I've come across dealing with them was the person running the Prime Timers who could not understand how Richie singing Love Story in his car on The Bear could possibly be a favorite musical moment.  Sigh.

• Like 10