Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Unpopular opinion:  I never liked that movie!  I also dislike Some Like It Hot.  Upon seeing mentions here and on the TCM thread, however, I decided to rewatch Tootsie this morning, after a 42-year hiatus.  I still don't like it.  He's so horrible to Teri Garr.  There are a few funny scenes, though.  But he seems so fake as Dorothy, I just couldn't buy the whole premise. 

There's a TCM thread? Need to find it.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Unpopular opinion:  I never liked that movie!  I also dislike Some Like It Hot.  Upon seeing mentions here and on the TCM thread, however, I decided to rewatch Tootsie this morning, after a 42-year hiatus.  I still don't like it.  He's so horrible to Teri Garr.  There are a few funny scenes, though.  But he seems so fake as Dorothy, I just couldn't buy the whole premise. 

True... whenever I watch it, I wonder why people thought he was a woman, mainly due to the voice. But there are certain scenes that I love. "Dorothy" hails a taxi, is ignored, yells in his own voice, the taxi pulls over (of course) & some schlub (Woody Allen) hops into it ahead of "her".  I always laugh when D pulls the jerk out of the cab & hops in

• Like 5
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

Pardon my typing errors.  It’s either long nails or typing too fast.  Don’t know how to fix it either.  That’s all.

You can edit your posts. Just click on the the ellipses in the upper right hand corner and select edit. I think you can edit within a week.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
3 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Speaking of Robin Williams .. I was watching “ the Bird Cage “ for the fiftieth time yesterday.  Too funny with Hank Azara in the kitchen making soup.  Funny.

The Bird Cage is one of my favorite movies but it because of Nathan Lane, Gene Hackman and Hank Azaria not because of Robin.  He's good but they were great.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, BetyBee said:

I never got a warning on TWoP, but my sock puppet got banned, for one post. I snotted at a poster (on the Oprah thread) who corrected everyone all the time. She also boasted endlessly about living in NYC, like the rest of us were backwoods bumpkins! I got props for it on the TWoP Sucks forum, which was an anti-TWoP site I joined. I can't even remember that poster's name. I think I cared a lot more back then. Now, if I got banned, I think I'd probably just go elsewhere. There were fewer options back then. I'm better at scrolling past annoying posters now. With age comes wisdom, I guess!

NYC is not that special lol

2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I did wonder, but of course they never posted any of their own photos.  Convenient, right?  LOL  I do wonder if they would have defended the model figure as "ideal" even if they didn't have those figures themselves.  Probably not.  The ringleader went on and on about how the "boyish, straight figure" was the most ideal figure type.  I figured that was her figure type for sure.  I remember also getting her goat by posting that what women find attractive in a female might be different from what men are attracted to and linked article about the certain "waist/hip" ratio that men seem to prefer, LOL.  She had seen my photo so I'm sure she knew I was within that ratio, LOL. 😉

Like Taylor Swift?

• LOL 2
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

The Bird Cage is the only Robin Williams movie, he's very toned down. None of his usual OTT hijinks.

I loved him in non-comedic roles: Dead Poets Society and Good Will Hunting.

• Like 5

I love Gene Hackman so I say this with fondness--as a man he is passable, as a woman he is hideous.

Some Like It Hot has long been one of my favorite films but the last time I watched it I had to acknowledge that some of it has not aged well. The ending, however, will always be classic.

What I remember about Tootsie was that the take on soap operas was very funny, and that Hoffman's interviews were patronizing. Yes, Dustin, women are treated differently from men. Stunning insight, bud.

• Like 5
18 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

I skipped to the end where someone mentioned a moderator(? ) Strega had passed away. 

IIRC, she was in charge of the moderation team. 

I never really had any problems there or here with moderators, and saw more questionable non-actions than actions, but it I liked that at TWoP the mods would edit a post if there was just one little thing wrong with it rather than hiding it and making the poster fix it if they wanted it back up.  That was probably a lot of work, though, given how active that site was.

• Like 5
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 3

I actually preferred TWOP when it came to certain shows and threads. At TWOP, mods made sure that posters were reminded that you only need to tell your opinion once and then move on when things got repetitive and argumentative.

Here, I have found that on certain shows, posters repeat their opinion over and over (and with certain posters, I always knew what was coming). And every time one dares to post a different opinion, you get the same opinion again. Yes, I know, you don't agree with me and yes, I know, I don't agree with you. Give it a rest! I never felt like ignoring anyone on TWOP but here, I had a list. Not a long one, but still.

The repetition of well-known opinions didn't happen as badly on TWOP as it did here and I didn't know how good I had it until I posted on the same show here and got so very bored and annoyed, the joy of discussing the show went out the window soon afterwards. 

I appreciated the detailed and often hilariously cranky recaps, especially when rewatching an episode after reading the recap. I found they made rewatching even more of a joy with the recappers comments in mind. I loved reading them. I've never been much of a TV watcher until I discovered TWOP. I even wrote one myself once.

I don't watch so much TV anymore, maybe because I'm getting old and it's more fun to rewatch older favorites than watching new ones. Streaming has affected discussion, I'm sure.

I got wristslapped once, maybe twice on TWOP, and found it mildly unfair, but it didn't bother me.

• Like 11
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
4 minutes ago, supposebly said:

I actually preferred TWOP when it came to certain shows and threads. At TWOP, mods made sure that posters were reminded that you only need to tell your opinion once and then move on when things got repetitive and argumentative.

Here, I have found that on certain shows, posters repeat their opinion over and over (and with certain posters, I always knew what was coming). And every time one dares to post a different opinion, you get the same opinion again. Yes, I know, you don't agree with me and yes, I know, I don't agree with you. Give it a rest! I never felt like ignoring anyone on TWOP but here, I had a list. Not a long one, but still.

The repetition of well-known opinions didn't happen as badly on TWOP as it did here and I didn't know how good I had it until I posted on the same show here and got so very bored and annoyed, the joy of discussing the show went out the window soon afterwards. 

I appreciated the detailed and often hilariously cranky recaps, especially when rewatching an episode after reading the recap. I found they made rewatching even more of a joy with the recappers comments in mind. I loved reading them. I've never been much of a TV watcher until I discovered TWOP. I even wrote one myself once.

I don't watch so much TV anymore, maybe because I'm getting old and it's more fun to rewatch older favorites than watching new ones. Streaming has affected discussion, I'm sure.

I got wristslapped once, maybe twice on TWOP, and found it mildly unfair, but it didn't bother me.

I only watch whatever is streaming aka old shows. I couldn’t tell you 1 new show on tv. Except Gordon Ramsay cooking shows like next level chef.

Those I watch as the new episodes air.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

I only watch whatever is streaming aka old shows. I couldn’t tell you 1 new show on tv. Except Gordon Ramsay cooking shows like next level chef.

Those I watch as the new episodes air.

We have a streaming box our son made for us so we can pretty much watch anything but we also still have cable and I love old shows. I watch Emergency, Wagon Train, Bonanza, Gunsmoke, The Waltons, just a lot of stuff from the sixties and seventies. And god save me, a ton of all the iterations of Law & Order. I"m not one for reality shows other than Chopped and I don't really like sit-coms.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Why only men I don’t find appealing hit on me? One is 70. One is 58. Too old for me!

This is a pet peeve of mine! Once I was around 30, WAY older men started hitting on me, and no I don't look like I could draw social security anytime soon.

It's like women 30 and up might as well be in their 60s to some guys. Just because I'm not 20 doesn't mean I might as well date people the same ages as my parents or grandparents.  And on my side, it's got nothing to do with superficial crap. I think older men can be really physically attractive. I just want someone to grow old WITH. Women already live longer than men. All these large age gap relationships with the men being much older are not a good idea imo. 

I'm not saying I'm completely against large age gaps, but it being so normal for men to hit on women so much younger, while it still being a big deal if a woman dates someone like five years younger, is all so sexist and not even practical. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

Baby or pet?

👶🏻

46 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

This is a pet peeve of mine! Once I was around 30, WAY older men started hitting on me

My youngest daughter had a bit of this. They weren't creepy or even divorced. Just guys who realized a little later they wanted to have a wife and kids.
She wound up with a guy her age. 

My oldest daughter, who has now passed out of childbearing age without marriage or kids of her own
(she prefers to just hang out with friends with kids so she can go home to peace and quiet, and so she can travel around the world unencumbered)
was actually into dating older guys when she was in her 20s and 30s. She still hangs out with guys the same age now as the ones she dated then —
I guess she just likes people in their 40s - 50s. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 
Maybe when she's in her 60s she'll still like people in their 40s-50s? 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 5
  • Useful 2
41 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

This is a pet peeve of mine! Once I was around 30, WAY older men started hitting on me, and no I don't look like I could draw social security anytime soon.

It's like women 30 and up might as well be in their 60s to some guys. Just because I'm not 20 doesn't mean I might as well date people the same ages as my parents or grandparents.  And on my side, it's got nothing to do with superficial crap. I think older men can be really physically attractive. I just want someone to grow old WITH. Women already live longer than men. All these large age gap relationships with the men being much older are not a good idea imo. 

I'm not saying I'm completely against large age gaps, but it being so normal for men to hit on women so much younger, while it still being a big deal if a woman dates someone like five years younger, is all so sexist and not even practical. 

It was weird for me. when I was young, I mean like 9 or 10, I had older men hitting on me (eeew!) but then in my thirties, I had guys in their early 20s hitting on me. Like bringing me lunch to my flower shop, stuff like that. One even brought his mother in to meet me. Jeez.

• Mind Blown 12
4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

You can edit your posts. Just click on the the ellipses in the upper right hand corner and select edit. I think you can edit within a week.

If I edit, the rest of the whole post gets screwed up.  Thanks tho .. I’ll try again.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 3
11 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

👶🏻

My daughter had a bit of this. They weren't creepy or even divorced. Just guys who realized a little later they wanted to have a wife and kids.
She wound up with a guy her age. 

And had two little Munchkins.  Nice ending.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

If I edit, the rest of the whole post gets screwed up.  Thanks tho .. I’ll try again.

You need to give it a minute to load, then edit your comment-either adding or correcting. Then hit save.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
37 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

You need to give it a minute to load, then edit your comment-either adding or correcting. Then hit save.

Ok, I’ll try .. thanks again.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

The 58 year old one looks great for his age. Trim and very youthful. I’d think he was 45. When he told me he was 58 I was shocked. He thought I was 25 until he saw my grey hair lol. He said if he knew I was older he’d make his moves sooner. I guess I should dye my hair.

He only has 1 kid, kid is a teen. 

He wants my number and I don’t give it to him.

• Like 6
  • Hugs 1
14 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

The 58 year old one looks great for his age. Trim and very youthful. I’d think he was 45. When he told me he was 58 I was shocked. He thought I was 25 until he saw my grey hair lol. He said if he knew I was older he’d make his moves sooner. I guess I should dye my hair.

He only has 1 kid, kid is a teen. 

He wants my number and I don’t give it to him.

You don’t have to give him your number.  How about meeting him for coffee in a crowded place for just a little chat if you would like to?  That’s what my Niece does.  No letting him walk you home either, or to your car if you have one.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

It's weird.  If someone said they were 58, I'd say that they're old.  But then I realize that I'll be 45 in September!  20 years ago, 45 was ANCIENT.  

• Wink 8
  • LOL 2
55 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

You don’t have to give him your number.  How about meeting him for coffee in a crowded place for just a little chat if you would like to?  That’s what my Niece does.  No letting him walk you home either, or to your car if you have one.

I met him at work, he’s a customer, we been chatting for a few weeks.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
26 minutes ago, PRgal said:

It's weird.  If someone said they were 58, I'd say that they're old.  But then I realize that I'll be 45 in September!  20 years ago, 45 was ANCIENT.  

I’m no where near 50 or 45. To me he’s too old. He keeps saying how lonely he is living with his cat lol. Well at least he’s not married. Why am I a magnet for married men who want to cheat? 

Oops went too far. Apologies.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 4
3 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Older guys want young, horny women. Most are snipped too. What exactly do the younger women get out of it? All these married  guys sorta made me distrust the male species. 

Unless you snag Alec Baldwin type. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

3-months old snoring on my shoulder.

more later

So jealous! I miss those infant years. Enjoy every second! 👩🏻‍🍼👶🏻

• Like 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, PRgal said:

HA! Wait til you get past the 55 mark and see what comprises 'ancient'- and if you throw in having a parent past the 95 mark with faculties intact, you'll somewhat want to bat closer to Moses's if not Methuselah's ages!

• Like 9
(edited)
18 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

We have a streaming box our son made for us so we can pretty much watch anything but we also still have cable and I love old shows.

I'm intrigued by this.  Can you share more about what it is and how he made it?

editing to add:  That was a serious question but I see I’m getting laughing reactions. Was Peaches making a joke that went over my head?

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Why only men I don’t find appealing hit on me? One is 70. One is 58. Too old for me!

Because it makes them feel younger.  As my mother used to tell me, "Don't complain.  At least you're still getting hit on.  One day they may stop!"

But here I am in my 60s and now the only men that make eyes at me are in their 80s and above.  That's almost worse than no attention at all, LOL. 😉

17 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Must be warmer weather and me wearing spring clothes vs being bundled up like a penguin!

(Guys hitting on me).

In the words of Alfred Lord Tennyson:

"In the Spring a young man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of love."

Obviously not just "young" men, lol.

• Wink 5
  • LOL 3
12 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I’m no where near 50 or 45. To me he’s too old. He keeps saying how lonely he is living with his cat lol. Well at least he’s not married. Why am I a magnet for married men who want to cheat? 

I think everyone is, at least I always was.  I think it's because there are so many of them and they're looking for a little "side action".  They're the ones most likely to come on to women I've found, and my single girlfriends have complained about this forever too.  In my experience single guys are usually very aware that they're in demand so they don't have to resort to coming up to women cold in public.  I often found that men that come on to you in public are often looking for a "no strings attached" situation.  The older guys too because they're usually just looking to flatter their egos with some young female attention.  Some are socially awkward so they take a stab at it knowing it's a long shot.  But of course there are always those older single guys that are genuinely interested in you for more than a fling, but in my experience they were always in a small minority.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
13 hours ago, PRgal said:

I am now 65.  I remember being 45 like it was yesterday.  Now anyone under the age of 45 looks like a kid to me, lol.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2

I've never had a man hit on me. Although I had been told that I don't pay attention to my surroundings and can't read body language, so maybe I just didn't notice.

Once upon a time, it bothered me and I wanted to look more attractive, but now, honestly after the stories I've heard from some attractive women about how every man they know hits on them, even friends they really wanted just as friends, I don't complain anymore. Plus with all of the news about women being stalked and murdered by their exes ... being single seems nice enough. And I'm bisexual, so I still have some hope that one day I might end up with a woman which sounds more appealing to me.

• Like 11
15 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

It was weird for me. when I was young, I mean like 9 or 10, I had older men hitting on me (eeew!) but then in my thirties, I had guys in their early 20s hitting on me. Like bringing me lunch to my flower shop, stuff like that. One even brought his mother in to meet me. Jeez.

Oh yeah I went through that stuff in my 30s and 40s.  I didn't see that coming.  They didn't care that I was married.  I had younger guys in my office jobs hitting on me.  That was creepy.  I remember having to switch supermarkets because of creepy young stock guys that made me uncomfortable.  

• Like 5
  • Hugs 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

Once upon a time, it bothered me and I wanted to look more attractive, but now, honestly after the stories I've heard from some attractive women about how every man they know hits on them, even friends they really wanted just as friends, I don't complain anymore. 

Yeah, I was that person and it was not an advantage or as great as people seem to think.  I always felt it was a curse.  It would only be an advantage if I wanted to have tons of sexual affairs and that was just not me.  I even got hit on by the chairman of the Communications dept. at my university - a Jesuit.  I know, shocking, right?  But not unusual for me.  It was ridiculous.  I complained about it to the dean's office but no one would take me seriously.  They told me I must be "mistaken".  The freaking guy looked at me with goo goo eyes at a campus party and asked me up to his room for a drink, what do they think that meant?  This was back in the 1970s so things were different then. BTW, he was later accused of sexual harassment by a female professor in the 1980s and was forced to step down.  Later I was sexually harassed by two different bosses and of course co-workers.

Meanwhile I couldn't get the time of day from the guys that would have been right for me - my age, responsible, looking for more than just sex, etc.  But I've later read that attractive women often intimidate men who are looking for relationships and they don't even let you know they're interested.  Ironic and awful.  I couldn't get anywhere.  I later got told by all these guys at my HS reunion that they had crushes on me but were too shy to ask me out!!  Add to this the fact that I was shy and introverted myself and it was not a good combination.  Also that I was culturally different from most of the people I knew.  The Jewish guys loved me but most of them wanted to marry a Jewish woman, so forget that.  My HS boyfriend chose to pursue that.  When I met my husband he says it was like when Leonard met Penny on Big Bang Theory, LOL.  In HIS mind, mind you, not MINE.  I would never think of myself as a "Penny" type, LOL.  But God bless him, like Leonard he had the guts to ask me out and the rest is history. 

Also, I never found being attractive to be an advantage in other ways either.  Women envied me (for what I don't know because I never felt I had any advantages from it) and put me down out of jealousy.  I don't know what there was to envy as my life was never a piece of cake.  And it was hard for a short, cute, young looking "girl" to be taken seriously in any kind of career no matter how serious I tried to make myself.  I didn't have the right personality to get beyond that stereotype.  At least it was like that back in those days, not sure how it would be if I were starting out now.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 4
  • Hugs 2

I've never had a man hit on me. Although I had been told that I don't pay attention to my surroundings and can't read body language, so maybe I just didn't notice.

Once upon a time, it bothered me and I wanted to look more attractive, but now, honestly after the stories I've heard from some attractive women about how every man they know hits on them, even friends they really wanted just as friends, I don't complain anymore. Plus with all of the news about women being stalked and murdered by their exes ... being single seems nice enough. And I'm bisexual, so I still have some hope that one day I might end up with a woman which sounds more appealing to me.

This is me too.   I’ve never been hit on in my life.  I’m 5’6” and have always been skinny, I’m convinced it’s my face.  I’m attracted to men but don’t mind being alone, it better than settling for the wrong person and getting murdered.  Although I’m currently unemployed, it would be nice to have another person who could support me.  

• Like 3
  • Hugs 4
  • Love 1
(edited)

You been hit on you just didn’t notice or was like me confused: is he into me or wants a friend? Lol

Unless a guy is extremely straight forward I get confused on his intentions in real life. Apps are obviously easier haha.

Edited by oliviabenson
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I'm intrigued by this.  Can you share more about what it is and how he made it?

editing to add:  That was a serious question but I see I’m getting laughing reactions. Was Peaches making a joke that went over my head?

image.png.67bc7e66d9b49d452e6940af9b48a9cc.png

• LOL 4
15 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

image.png.67bc7e66d9b49d452e6940af9b48a9cc.png

Okay, got it. Come to think of it, my son may have had something like that at one point in his life. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Okay, got it. Come to think of it, my son may have had something like that at one point in his life. 

He made it for my birthday last year. It's an amazing little box. Yo ho.

• Wink 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

When I met my husband he says it was like when Leonard met Penny on Big Bang Theory,

Awww.💞
If anyone ever felt that way about me, I was oblivious. 
Dad told me more than once that the minute he saw Mom he knew he'd never be happy without her.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Awww.💞
If anyone ever felt that way about me, I was oblivious. 
Dad told me more than once that the minute he saw Mom he knew he'd never be happy without her.

Well if your neighbor offers you $ for sex you’d know who to avoid. Or a neighborhood creep who screaming I want birthday sex tries to drag you to the dark side street you’d know who is a guy to avoid. 

Yeah no wonder I’m single. 

• Mind Blown 2
  • Hugs 4
2 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I'm likely autistic, so I don't know when people hit on me either...unless it's fairly obvious.  Or I wouldn't know how to react.  

• Like 5
4 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

Although I had been told that I don't pay attention to my surroundings and can't read body language, so maybe I just didn't notice.

When I went to my high school reunion a few years ago a guy came up to me and said he had  had a crush on me back in the day.  I had absolutely no idea.  Anyway I am sure if he was giving off any signals I was totally oblivious.  Not gonna lie, it did feel good to know someone had felt that way about me back then.  Would have felt even better if I'd known about it back then but you can't have everything! 

• Like 8