Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

On 4/21/2024 at 6:45 PM, EtheltoTillie said:

Dragon icon:  I think that was Walnut Queen.  I think she is gone.  

@kristen111 I got one of those school zone tickets on a Sunday in Brooklyn recently.  Grr.  For those from out of state, these are photo-only tickets.  No cop pulling you over.  So  you find out about it weeks later when it shows up in the mail.

Yep.  37 mph in a 25 mph zone.  Woodhaven Blvd.  Queens.  No school on Sunday.  Mailed 50 bucks.   They are probably making a fortune.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1

Since we're chatting about old times here, I was scrolling through Twitter and saw this and had to share

• Like 3
  • Wink 2
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

That's a mighty evil looking TV. I can no longer remember what it was like there.

This might refresh your memory.  It's courtesy of the Internet Wayback Machine.  I even found some of my old posts on it - that was freaky.  It's a little wonky and a bit like a maze in spots but you can navigate it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140330083129/http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/

It's a snapshot from about 10 years ago right before the board closed.  I saw so many familiar names like ratgirlagogo, vermiciousknid, totale, theatremouse, etc.  Even some names I still see here.  Those were the days.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

That's a mighty evil looking TV. I can no longer remember what it was like there.

Heh, that’s probably because remembering might be triggering:

• Like 9
  • Fire 2
4 hours ago, Yeah No said:

This might refresh your memory.  It's courtesy of the Internet Wayback Machine.  I even found some of my old posts on it - that was freaky.  It's a little wonky and a bit like a maze in spots but you can navigate it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140330083129/http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/

It's a snapshot from about 10 years ago right before the board closed.  I saw so many familiar names like ratgirlagogo, vermiciousknid, totale, theatremouse, etc.  Even some names I still see here.  Those were the days.

I had forgotten about the wayback machine. I found a post of mine on Sons of Anarchy, lol. I forgot that I was a "fanatic". I loved the recaps and eagerly awaited them for my favorite shows. Thanks for the reminder, @Yeah No!

• Like 4
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Heh, that’s probably because remembering might be triggering:

The rules and enforcement of said rules on TWOP is why I only ever read the forums and never posted.  I could never figure out what TWOPHoward meant by "boards on boards" only that he was everywhere saying it.  

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

I was just scrolling through the 2014 ice dance comments and saw familiar names: quof, chicksdigscars, GoodQueenJane, avaleigh. Can't believe I didn't see my name. I loved how chicksdigscars eviscerated Scott Moir for his attitude.  So, when did TWOP close down? 

• Like 4
1 minute ago, annzeepark914 said:

I was just scrolling through the 2014 ice dance comments and saw familiar names: quof, chicksdigscars, GoodQueenJane, avaleigh. Can't believe I didn't see my name. I loved how chicksdigscars eviscerated Scott Moir for his attitude.  So, when did TWOP close down? 

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
(edited)
13 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The rules and enforcement of said rules on TWOP is why I only ever read the forums and never posted.  I could never figure out what TWOPHoward meant by "boards on boards" only that he was everywhere saying it.  

Heh, I only figured out what TWoP's "boards on boards" meant here on PT in the last year or so. At least, I think I figured it out. It means talking about how the site is moderated? But since I never knew what it meant on TWoP, I can't speak to specifically what constituted a minor or a ban-able infraction there.

I think maybe any use of words like "TVWoP" or "site" triggered investigation, LOL.

I got a demerit once when I posted on a popular TV show episode thread about an hour after the episode aired —
Probably Lost? I had to work until 10 p.m. on Wednesdays
— and there were already about 30 pages of comments, and I had the foolish audacity to preface my post with something like "I've only read the last 5 pages of posts…."

I hadn't felt so bad since my first grade teacher told the class that everyone who was not in their seat had to go and put their heads down on their desks for 10 minutes.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2
9 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

It was a nightmare there.  I got banned a few times for no real reason. I know once I was banned for just stating that I didn’t like Ross and Rachel from Friends.   Opinions weren’t allowed.   I’ve never really had any problems here.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
15 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Howard was a she. And what she meant was we couldn't talk about other boards on TWoP.

12 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

2014 was when it shut down. I remember all of us coming here around March 2014; and TWoP finally shuttering in May.

• Like 4
  • Useful 8

I was suspended for two weeks because I had questioned a board decision. I received a warning after I'd recommended a menopause website to someone who was suffering from hot flashes. 

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 2
10 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Heh, I only figured out what TWoP's "boards on boards" meant here on PT in the last year or so. At least, I think I figured it out. It means talking about how the site is moderated? But since I never knew what it meant on TWoP, I can't speak to specifically what constituted a minor or a ban-able infraction there.

I think maybe any use of words like "TVWoP" or "site" triggered investigation, LOL.

I got a demerit once when I posted on a popular TV show episode thread about an hour after the episode aired —
— and there were already about 30 pages of comments, and I had the foolish audacity to preface my post with something like "I've only read the last 5 pages of posts…."

I hadn't felt so bad since my first grade teacher told the class that everyone who was not in their seat had to go and put their heads down on their desks for 10 minutes.

WOW, that brought back memories when school was school.  Now, the kids are off every other week practically for one reason or another.  School now is a joke.  It’s too easy.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
4 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Howard was a she. And what she meant was we couldn't talk about other boards on TWoP.

2014 was when it shut down. I remember all of us coming here around March 2014; and TWoP finally shuttering in May.

Yes, I remember Howard and that "he" was a "she".

I also remember that it was around March of 2014 that the chat forum closed down.  There was talk about it coming back for a while but it never materialized.

I also remember "boards on boards".  I was told by a mod. that it meant we couldn't discuss the board itself and anything that happened on it or the board in general on the board.  I sometimes found it hard to observe as anything could be interpreted as that.

I was generally more afraid to post there than here because of the mods. but I did appreciate some policies, like not just removing whole posts but taking out an "offending" word or passage and leaving the rest of the post.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I was just scrolling through the 2014 ice dance comments and saw familiar names: quof

Damn, I've got to get a new hobby.

Actually, I have completely abandoned figure skating fandom.  I hate the "new" rules, and trends.  Get off my lawn. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2
  • Wink 2
  • LOL 5
35 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Howard's tone was enough for me to never investigate further, so I had no idea that was a woman.  Thanks.

I didn't join here until 2016 after finding out about Previously.tv from somewhere.  I thought it was on the TWOP boards, but could have been mistaken.  I can't imagine I lurked here for 2 years before finally deciding to create an account, but maybe I did.  

Just now, Ohiopirate02 said:

Howard's tone was enough for me to never investigate further, so I had no idea that was a woman.  Thanks.

I didn't join here until 2016 after finding out about Previously.tv from somewhere.  I thought it was on the TWOP boards, but could have been mistaken.  I can't imagine I lurked here for 2 years before finally deciding to create an account, but maybe I did.  

I lurked on TWoP for years before starting to post and Howard was one of the mods I pm'd with and who explained to me what "boards on boards" meant, so I wouldn't violate that rule. I never had a problem with her.

I can't remember who it was that told everyone that there was another forum, created by the same guy who had created TWoP (Glark/David),  had going, and I know a bunch of us came swarming in to Previously TV!

But I really miss TWoP.

• Like 10
(edited)

As crazy as TWoP moderation was, around 2005 I was posting on healthboards.com about cataract surgery, and the word "Google" was strictly forbidden. It might have been punishable by banning.
Maybe in a colonial America sense.
🪨😱(hyperbole, of course)

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Not being permitted to link to other sites "in competition" with the site where you were posting was very common then. 

Anyhoo, I found an old post of mine from 2014, where we were chatting about where to go after TWoP shut down:
 https://web.archive.org/web/20140329231916/http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/topic/3220621-the-sci-fi-meet-market-life-after-twop/#entry16430522

It’s kind of sad to think many may have died without their aliases being known who might have wanted them shared after they were gone.
But better to protect the privacy of the living.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 5
(edited)
58 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

and I had the foolish audacity to preface my post with something like "I've only read the last 5 pages of posts…."

I once said "and I will let posters decide for themselves" about something and got a warning.  Some of their rules were just ridiculous.

53 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And what she meant was we couldn't talk about other boards on TWoP.

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Like 1
53 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And what she meant was we couldn't talk about other boards on TWoP.

I thought it meant we couldn't discuss things that happened on the board.

• Like 7
17 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I once said "and I will let posters decide for themselves" about something and got a warning.  Some of their rules were just ridiculous.

This reminds me I once either got a warning or banned there for saying “I seem to be in the minority”. 

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 5
  • LOL 1
51 minutes ago, Quof said:

Damn, I've got to get a new hobby.

Actually, I have completely abandoned figure skating fandom.  I hate the "new" rules, and trends.  Get off my lawn. 

Aww... that's too bad, cause we need some activity at the figure skating site. It picks up during the Olympics, but then slows way down afterward.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

To this day, my husband and I will say "boards on boards" to each other at least a couple of times a week to get a laugh and it works every single time.  It never gets old.  And every once in a while we will reminisce about Howard and wonder how he would feel knowing that people are still making fun of that all these years later. 

*I just read that Howard was a she.  How about that.  I always thought it was some dude on a power trip living in his mom's basement. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 10
2 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

*I just read that Howard was a she.  How about that.  I always thought it was some dude on a power trip living in his mom's basement. 

Somehow I learned that she had taken her screen name from the character Kay Howard on Homicide: Life on the Street, played by Melissa Leo, a character I loved on a show I loved. I hated knowing that, because I did not love Mod Howard.

• Like 2
  • Useful 6
13 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Somehow I learned that she had taken her screen name from the character Kay Howard on Homicide: Life on the Street, played by Melissa Leo, a character I loved on a show I loved. I hated knowing that, because I did not love Mod Howard.

I have a dude's name on Reddit. Cuts way down on the harassment.

• Like 6
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Yup. She got it from Kay Howard. And Pembleton was also a woman, and you got it-because of the character from the same show.

• Useful 4
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I can’t remember where I posted there.  I know I lurked in the Lost, and grey’s anatomy threads. Those threads would explode, as soon as the episode ended.  

• Like 4
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I have a dude's name on Reddit. Cuts way down on the harassment.

I did that on a message board I used to post at that could sometimes get very political in nature.  Posting as a woman didn't get me harassed exactly but my opinions were trivialized.  Posting with a guy's name made a big difference.  Which really sucks.

13 minutes ago, Anela said:

I can’t remember where I posted there.  I know I lurked in the Lost, and grey’s anatomy threads. Those threads would explode, as soon as the episode ended.  

I remember posting on the Dr. Phil thread (I'm not a fan!), Rome, Deadwood, Mad Men & Sons of Anarchy, among others. I think I posted on the View thread too, though I never watched it. It was on the Deadwood thread that I learned about "whore baths" and I still joke about taking one when I can't get a shower! Gosh, those were the days!

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

I think I posted on the View thread too, though I never watched it.

I looked at that board this morning. Some of us are still posting here.  Some even have the same names.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

“DON'T post in a thread until you've read at least the last fifteen pages or days of content”
(https://web.archive.org/web/20140329222809/http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/topic/3150213-twop-forum-dos-and-donts/)

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I got a demerit once when I posted on a popular TV show episode thread about an hour after the episode aired. Probably Lost?…there were already about 30 pages of comments, and I had the foolish audacity to preface my post with something like "I've only read the last 5 pages of posts…."

37 minutes ago, Anela said:

Thank you, @Anela! I've been vindicated!
Now I wish I'd added onto "I've only read the last 5 pages of posts….":
"…but I'm sure by the time I've submitted this post it will be 15 pages."
If nothing else, it would've caused the TVWoP police person to pause for a moment — during which time another 2 pages to moderate on that thread would've appeared, LOL. 

No wonder those mods became certifiable.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Wink 2
  • LOL 8
51 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I looked at that board this morning. Some of us are still posting here.  Some even have the same names.

I'm still using the same name. I got into that site because there was a guy (I wish I could remember his name) who did hilarious re-caps for Bates Motel. I noticed that they had forums and I was lost forever.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Thank you, @Anela! I've been vindicated!
If nothing else, it would've caused the TVWoP police person to pause for a moment — during which time another 2 pages to moderate on that thread would've appeared, LOL. 

No wonder those mods became certifiable.

I just snorted, because I was thinking the same thing about it being at fifteen pages, by the time you submit something.  😂

I used to settle in to read thirty pages, after each Lost episode.  At that point, there was nothing more to say.  Their rules felt like a lot of land mines. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The rules and enforcement of said rules on TWOP is why I only ever read the forums and never posted. 

I found out about TWOP about four or five years before it closed. I only read posts there for quite awhile.  When I finally got the courage to reply to someone there for the first time, I got a warning for using an ellipsis at the end of a sentence...😐

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 5
  • LOL 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, BetyBee said:

I remember posting on the Dr. Phil thread (I'm not a fan!), Rome, Deadwood, Mad Men & Sons of Anarchy, among others. I think I posted on the View thread too, though I never watched it. It was on the Deadwood thread that I learned about "whore baths" and I still joke about taking one when I can't get a shower! Gosh, those were the days!

I may have posted in Medium, Bates Motel, and The Americans.  Deadwood, is one that I still need to watch.  
I’ve just realized that it’s been a decade since I started to watch Mad Men, and I didn’t finish.  How has it been that long? Same with sons of anarchy, and Friday night lights (I finally had Netflix). 

Edited by Anela
  • Like 3
6 minutes ago, Jaded said:

When I finally got the courage to reply to someone there for the first time, I got a warning for using an ellipsis at the end of a sentence...😐

They did go overboard with some of their rules.  I don't remember if it was here or there I got a warning for not quoting something properly.

54 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

With people not always watching in real time by the time I watch something there are pages of comments.  I can only imagine what it was like for water cooler shows at TWOP. When I was there I didn't stray too far from the View forum. There were so many posters on TWOP I think I felt intimidated outside of the View.  

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 2
11 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

There were so many posters on TWOP I think I felt intimidated outside of the View.  

Unlike me, you must not have been one of those kids who had to write on the board 300 times: "I will not talk in class. I will not talk in class. I will not talk in class.…" LOL
— ellipsis at the end in part for @Jaded:

27 minutes ago, Jaded said:

When I finally got the courage to reply to someone there for the first time, I got a warning for using an ellipsis at the end of a sentence...😐

🧸
Nowadays, we even have an ellipsis emoji for just such a case: 💬

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
12 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Unlike me, you must not have been one of those kids who had to write on the board 300 times: "I will not talk in class. I will not talk in class. I will not talk in class.…" LOL
— ellipsis at the end in part for @Jaded:

🧸
Nowadays, we even have an ellipsis emoji for just such a case: 💬

My middle name is ellipsis!  I'm surprised I wasn't banned for life at twop...🙄

@peacheslatour Great minds run in the same circle. I use a neutral name on Reddit (but I'm only hanging out at the Seinfeld section...those posters make me laugh!) At the Washington Post, I use initials & an area code. Back before AOL started moderating comments, it was too dangerous to let anyone know you were female. The men were vicious. Again, I used initials and frequently was addressed as "Sir" followed by indignant responses to my posts...😁

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

My middle name is ellipsis!  I'm surprised I wasn't banned for life at twop...🙄

@peacheslatour Great minds run in the same circle. I use a neutral name on Reddit (but I'm only hanging out at the Seinfeld section...those posters make me laugh!) At the Washington Post, I use initials & an area code. Back before AOL started moderating comments, it was too dangerous to let anyone know you were female. The men were vicious. Again, I used initials and frequently was addressed as "Sir" followed by indignant responses to my posts...😁

Yeah, on Reddit I get "Dude,..." a lot.  OH NO! I used an ellipsis.  *looks around apprehensively*

• LOL 9

I received my one and only infraction 3+ years ago, as a member of Primetimer, and not while a TWOP member. I remember being confused because my posts had been removed and I had not written anything offensive, either language or otherwise. I wrote to the mod who oversaw that forum and she/he said that my rebuttal, as well as another post had been reported by a third party, and thus hidden.  Essentially what it all boiled down to was that the mod told me that I was " Telling other posters how they should post is not allowed, which is what you were doing."

Honestly, it's still a head scratcher. My original post said that an actor's name was X. I was mistaken. I honestly thought his name was the name that I had posted. Some other poster responded back that I was mistaken, and I felt that she replied in a condescending way to me, as obviously I had made an honest mistake. So, the details are fuzzy at this point, and I wrote back something along the lines of 'well, ok, honest mistake, but you didn't have to reply back the way you did."  I'm putting it in quotes, but honestly, I truly don't remember what I said, but I wasn't nasty in the least.

So, basically, I was scolded/reprimanded for getting my feelings hurt. I'm all for the snark when it's about the shows, the plots, and the actors, but I don't feel there's a place for it here, for a member's post. I was embarrassed enough by my mistake, and the poster's tone to me was nasty and made me feel like an idiot. I still feel that I wasn't wrong, but whatevs. 

I know I'm thin skinned and very sensitive. It's not the 1st time my feelings have been hurt here at Primetimer and I have to give great big thank you's to @Yeah No and to @shapeshifter, who either messaged me directly, or came to my defense online. 

• Like 4
  • Hugs 1
11 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

I was embarrassed enough by my mistake, and the poster's tone to me was nasty and made me feel like an idiot. I still feel that I wasn't wrong, but whatevs. 

Sometimes it's hard to discern tone from written post but you can tell when someone is being an asshole to you.  There was one particular poster (she doesn't post anymore) who was always snotty when commenting on one of my posts. But then she would turn around and like one of my posts.  I feel like some people like to do the gotcha game.  Just waiting for someone to get something wrong so they can pounce and say you were wrong. 

• Like 9
1 hour ago, ECM1231 said:

I received my one and only infraction 3+ years ago, as a member of Primetimer, and not while a TWOP member. I remember being confused because my posts had been removed and I had not written anything offensive, either language or otherwise. I wrote to the mod who oversaw that forum and she/he said that my rebuttal, as well as another post had been reported by a third party, and thus hidden.  Essentially what it all boiled down to was that the mod told me that I was " Telling other posters how they should post is not allowed, which is what you were doing."

Honestly, it's still a head scratcher. My original post said that an actor's name was X. I was mistaken. I honestly thought his name was the name that I had posted. Some other poster responded back that I was mistaken, and I felt that she replied in a condescending way to me, as obviously I had made an honest mistake. So, the details are fuzzy at this point, and I wrote back something along the lines of 'well, ok, honest mistake, but you didn't have to reply back the way you did."  I'm putting it in quotes, but honestly, I truly don't remember what I said, but I wasn't nasty in the least.

So, basically, I was scolded/reprimanded for getting my feelings hurt. I'm all for the snark when it's about the shows, the plots, and the actors, but I don't feel there's a place for it here, for a member's post. I was embarrassed enough by my mistake, and the poster's tone to me was nasty and made me feel like an idiot. I still feel that I wasn't wrong, but whatevs. 

I know I'm thin skinned and very sensitive. It's not the 1st time my feelings have been hurt here at Primetimer and I have to give great big thank you's to @Yeah No and to @shapeshifter, who either messaged me directly, or came to my defense online. 

I know it's easy to say "don't feel bad" but I do mean it.  I have found on other places on the internet that when a forum of any sort has been around for awhile you will find posters who think they are the owners and moderators.  They will swoop in to "correct" posters who err in whatever way and police the tone.  And sometimes the owner or moderator of that place will side with those posters, other times those posters are firmly handled.  It really just depends on the forum.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
17 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I know it's easy to say "don't feel bad" but I do mean it.  I have found on other places on the internet that when a forum of any sort has been around for awhile you will find posters who think they are the owners and moderators.  They will swoop in to "correct" posters who err in whatever way and police the tone.  And sometimes the owner or moderator of that place will side with those posters, other times those posters are firmly handled.  It really just depends on the forum.  

I've got three big red warnings on this site. I don't dare tell you about them but they're still in my profile.

• Like 5
  • Sad 5
(edited)
27 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I had that happen to me on a forum I signed up with in 2002.  Covid conspiracy people responding to the odd poster who didn’t believe the conspiracies, and was pro-vaccine, pro-mask.  The site owner let them get away with it, for political reasons.  I recently called him out on the way he insults people freely, but posters can’t do the same to him, because he can ban them.  I’ve seen him do it.  

I had a friend expecting me to fall in with their crowd, because I was outnumbered. So the “think for yourself” crowd, didn’t really want me to think for myself.  And it didn’t change anything for me.  

Edited by Anela
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 3
23 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I've got three big red warnings on this site. I don't dare tell you about them but they're still in my profile.

High five, Sister Friend. I'm kind of proud of mine.   If you haven't got anything nice to say, come sit right here by me.  

• Wink 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4

Oh, TWoP, what a trip down memory lane! I posted with this name and I think I was active in the Supernatural threads and a few others that aren't coming to mind. I followed the mods Jessica and Heathen (now Heather) over to Go Fug Yourself; Linda Holmes now works/ed for NPR; and mod Pamie has been nominated twice for an Oscar now. There were some fun mods over there who were not only hysterical themselves, but they interacted closely with posters and didn't take themselves or things too seriously (like Howard). I would spend my lunch hours reading recaps and forums. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 5