Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E18: Alberta’s Descendant

Neptune
  • Start Topic

“Alberta’s Descendant” – Alberta is thrilled when a living relative, Alicia (Ashley D. Kelley), visits Woodstone to learn more about her, but things take a turn when she hits it off with Todd (Rodrigo Fernandez Stoll), Sam’s podcast co-host. Also, Nigel uses his knowledge of Trevor and Hetty’s secret tryst to try to blackmail Hetty. March 30

• Like 2

Oh yay an Alberta centric episode! She is one of my fave ghosts 

Am I the only viewer who sort of doesn't like Trevor & Hetty having a fling? I love Trevor, like Hetty, but don't like the idea of a tryst. 

• Like 11
  • Useful 1
On 3/12/2023 at 9:41 PM, Toothbrush said:

@TVMovieBuff It’s not just you. I like both characters but IMO the actors don’t have the right chemistry. 

Let me see, one has not had sex in 30 years, the other didn't have satisfying sex when she was having sex, a hundred years ago.

I say they have all the chemistry they need. 

You don't suppose Hetty could get pregnant, do you? And don't talk about her age. You know nothing about ghosts and what kind of special abilities they might have. 😏

• Like 8
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 8
8 hours ago, mojito said:

Let me see, one has not had sex in 30 years, the other didn't have satisfying sex when she was having sex, a hundred years ago.

I say they have all the chemistry they need. 

You don't suppose Hetty could get pregnant, do you? And don't talk about her age. You know nothing about ghosts and what kind of special abilities they might have. 😏

Good point…lol 

Let’s hope ghosts can’t reproduce. I’m honestly surprised they can have sex. 

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 3
16 hours ago, mojito said:

That's what is fun about their relationship.  She's having a sexual awakening (thanks in part to Flower introducing her to the washing machine), and it's fun to see her learning how much power she has as a woman.  I don't think they'll be a couple, per se, but I think they'll continue to hook up just for fun.  Hetty wants to appear to have scruples, but her secret self is a wild woman!  Get it while you can, Hetty and No Pants!!  ;)  

• Like 14
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Good point…lol 

Let’s hope ghosts can’t reproduce. I’m honestly surprised they can have sex. 

Can they? I don't remember if the mentioned it before. I thought any piece of clothing removed will fly back into place within seconds (like Sass's feather.)

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
3 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I don't remember if the mentioned it before. I thought any piece of clothing removed will fly back into place within seconds (like Sass's feather.)

Seems like they made a comment about it one time and were surprised that they could have sex.  Of course, I might be thinking of some other thing they were surprised about, but I think it was about sex.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Apparently clothing can be rearranged a bit if it is not removed. We don't know how Hetty died, or why she was wearing that dress, or whether she had anything on under it ... 
Someone said ghosts can have sex but they can't finish.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
On 3/11/2023 at 10:30 AM, TVMovieBuff said:

I love Trevor, like Hetty, but don't like the idea of a tryst. 

I'm ok with it. They were after money while alive; both liked to live big and flaunt what they had. They are more similar than different, and a May/December ghost pair is fun. What I don't understand is how Hetty can get naked or does Trevor just stimulate her like the washer did? As others have said, we know if you take something off, it pops right back in place, so how does Ghost sex actually work? Trevor, no problem, the goods are already revealed, and we know he sports wood when aroused, as Hetty pointed out in the after-Christmas episode. 

13 hours ago, Driad said:

Someone said ghosts can have sex but they can't finish.

Sass said that but he is a man; Hetty most definitely 'finished'! So perhaps men can't ejaculate, but they can orgasm (they are different things).

Edited by enduringforce
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1
On 3/16/2023 at 1:34 PM, mojito said:

Has Sass ever finished? Has he ever started? I didn't get the impression he got far with the car ghost.

Sass definitely had sex when he was a "living". We know this because Thor witnessed it. I think it is likely that Sass had sex as a ghost. Right after he told Sam ghosts can have sex but couldn't finish, Jay left the room and Sass followed him, saying "Wait! I want to tell Jay about ghost sex!".

On 3/15/2023 at 8:02 PM, Driad said:

Apparently clothing can be rearranged a bit if it is not removed. We don't know how Hetty died, or why she was wearing that dress, or whether she had anything on under it .

Exactly. TMI, maybe, but I certainly have had sex while essentially fully clothed.

*Ahem* Is this the most posts pre-show that we've ever had?

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 5

It's the March Madness gap--have to fill the lack somehow!  I know I kept looking on the website to watch the episode until I actually looked at the date it would air.

• Like 2
On 3/14/2023 at 6:30 PM, mojito said:

You don't suppose Hetty could get pregnant, do you? And don't talk about her age. You know nothing about ghosts and what kind of special abilities they might have.

Ghosts can't get pregnant.  But, you raise a question of if they could would she give birth to a ghost or a living.

I have to agree with Sass.  He was asleep on the job.  He missed trevor and Hetty for 3 whole months?  Preposterous.  I know Jay cooks a lot, but he doesn't cook that much.

i am also not into trevor an dHetty as a couple, but I'm glad he stood up for himself and then that Hetty put her snobbery aside.

• Like 16

After watching a rather depressing lead-in show (Young Sheldon), it's nice to be able to look forward to this funny show.   I'm surprised that Todd didn't leave after Sam outed his weirdness.  I'm glad that Hetty & Trevor called Nigel's bluff and outed themselves.  Jay was so cute with his enthusiasm about being on the Podcast.  I love this show!

• Like 15
1 minute ago, Annber03 said:

I will forever be giggling at "Codblocking" XD.

Sorry to be daft, but what was the correct term Thor was trying to say?  

2 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

and Isaac being so openly supportive was super sweet

I love the way he claps his hands (the back of one hand hits the palm of the other).  It's so proper!!

• Like 8
8 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

Sorry to be daft, but what was the correct term Thor was trying to say?  

"Cockblocking" :D. 

I love the way he claps his hands (the back of one hand hits the palm of the other).  It's so proper!!

I love that, too! it's such a cute little mannerism - fits his character so perfectly. 

• Like 8
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

Next New Episode:  April 13, 2023        

What?! Talk about codblocked.

I teared up during the song. It's one of my favorites.

T is Theresa? And she hooked up with Alberta's guy? The mystery deepens.

• Like 7
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
43 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

"Cockblocking" :D. 

Thanks!  I live in a cave (things have been crazy the past year, so I'm a little out of touch with things!)  I haven't heard that one!  ETA:  Duh to me for not figuring it out!!

Edited by ChitChat
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Alicia dating Todd is basically Alberta's worst nightmare. Good thing Sam was able to "codblock" him pretty easily. I'm glad at least Todd inspired Alicia to follow her dreams. And considering how great she sang, I think she has a real shot. That was a sweet moment, Alberta getting to sing with Alicia.

I love Pete and Thor welcoming Alberta to the parenting club and giving her advice, even if it's wildly unhelpful. Also love Pete getting frustrated with Thor knowing words like "stereo" but still calling cars "landships." I hope Thor is doing it on purpose just to mess with everyone.

All of the old-fashioned terms Hetty used for sex had me rolling. Amorous congress. Scrumping. Fadoodling. Of course Sas would be mad at himself for missing all the signs about Hetty and Trevor, because his love of drama is unparalleled. I kind of wish that Nigel blackmailing them had lasted longer than one episode, though.

"I hate British humor!" Me too, Trevor. Me too. 

Alberta's sister Reece actually being Theresa and possibly being the one to murder her is a great twist. 

• Like 16
Just now, phalange said:

All of the old-fashioned terms Hetty used for sex had me rolling.

I wonder how many takes it required for her to keep a straight face while saying those lines!  It was hilarious watching the other ghosts trying to figure out what she was saying!

1 minute ago, phalange said:

I kind of wish that Nigel blackmailing them had lasted longer than one episode, though.

I have a feeling that he'll be back with a vengeance.  He'll find another way to torment Hetty.  

• Like 15
15 minutes ago, phalange said:

All of the old-fashioned terms Hetty used for sex had me rolling. Amorous congress. Scrumping. Fadoodling.

I will research the etymology of Hetty's euphemisms for sex and report back!

15 minutes ago, phalange said:

Alberta's sister Reece actually being Theresa and possibly being the one to murder her is a great twist. 

Not for me. My sister and I have struggled to get along all of our long lives. I don't mind Alberta's bf hooking up with her sister after Alberta died, but I will not be okay with her sister having killed her!😟

• Like 5

You cannot give in to a blackmailer, Hetty.  It won’t work.  He will only come back for more. 

What was with all the urgency about “codblocking” Todd?  The guy has a certain tattoo on his back, his relationship with Alicia can only go so far, even if she doesn’t pick up on the rest of his weirdness on her own. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 2

Definitely looking forward to another Alberta-centric episode!  Interesting that she, like Hetty with Samantha, is trying in the afterlife to be the mother she wasn’t able to be when alive.

Best-ever insult to a British person:  "You filthy little teapot!"   

I thought Nigel would use blackmail to gain more time with Isaac alone; the room switch was petty (and a bit odd given that it was his suggestion to move into the library in the first place) but I guess he was showing his (short-lived) power.  Several more episodes of guerrilla warfare subplots between him and Hetty could be pretty funny as long as they're evenly matched, but eventually I'd like a truce.  After all, Hetty probably has more in common with Nigel than any of the other ghosts, if you think about it.  We don't know anything about his backstory but I'm guessing he's from the untitled landed gentry, one rung below the peerage but still upper class.  Both of them would be used to having servants and would be class-conscious, and they'd be concerned about etiquette and image.  And Hetty was alive during the Gilded Age, when those of her class imitated the British aristocracy.  Nigel's bonded with Thor and Pete, with whom he has nothing in common other than ants, so it's certainly possible that he and Hetty might eventually become friends or at least frenemies (a la Violet and Isobel from Downton Abbey).

Edited by PaulE
  • Like 9
  • Useful 3
15 minutes ago, PaulE said:

Best-ever insult to a British person:  "You filthy little teapot!"   

I thought Nigel would use blackmail to gain more time with Isaac alone; the room switch was petty (and a bit odd given that it was his suggestion to move into the library in the first place) but I guess he was showing his (short-lived) power.  Several more episodes of guerrilla warfare subplots between him and Hetty could be pretty funny as long as they're evenly matched, but eventually I'd like a truce.  After all, Hetty probably has more in common with Nigel than any of the other ghosts, if you think about it.  We don't know anything about his backstory but I'm guessing he's from the untitled landed gentry, one rung below the peerage but still upper class.  Both of them would be used to having servants and would be class-conscious, and they'd be concerned about etiquette and image.  And Hetty was alive during the Gilded Age, when those of her class imitated the British aristocracy.  Nigel's bonded with Thor and Pete, with whom he has nothing in common other than ants, so it's certainly possible that he and Hetty might eventually become friends or at least frenemies (a la Violet and Isobel from Downton Abbey).

Excellent points about Hetty and Nigel having common backgrounds that could lead to a détente. 

Loved Hetty's "You filthy little teapot!" 

image.png.bf60df3193ee4fe0e0ac5ffd894eb17c.png

• LOL 15
1 hour ago, phalange said:

Alicia dating Todd is basically Alberta's worst nightmare. Good thing Sam was able to "codblock" him pretty easily. I'm glad at least Todd inspired Alicia to follow her dreams. And considering how great she sang, I think she has a real shot. That was a sweet moment, Alberta getting to sing with Alicia.

A phone call was received right before the singing started, so this episode was paused at that point.  It wasn’t the most gripping conversation, so my mind started to wander, to the point where I convinced myself that Alisha/Alicia was going to sing like I do: very bad.  Would it have been funnier if she couldn’t sing?    

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 2
38 minutes ago, PaulE said:

All of this! Plus, she was so supportive of Isaac and Nigel getting together! It'd be nice to see them return to that kind of interaction again.

I thought for sure Nigel would go for Hetty's room, too, but I think two things ultimately kept him from doing so:

1. If he moves into that room and Hetty moves out, Isaac will naturally wonder why that is, and that would lead to either Hetty's secret being revealed or one or both of them having to admit they were competing with each other after Isaac thought they'd patched things up a few episodes back, so that would be kind of awkward :p.

2, and perhaps most importantly, he knows Isaac's not quite ready for that step of them sharing a room, and wants to respect that fact. If it weren't for that aspect, or if he knew Isaac was more on board with them sharing a room, I think he would've tried to go there with that kind of leverage. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 2

I would think Isaac might be upset that Nigel didn't tell him the secret.

Taking a chance on a singing career is risky, but she already has a law degree, so if the fails at singing, she can probably still support herself.

• Like 14
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, greekmom said:
6 hours ago, phalange said:

"I hate British humor!" Me too, Trevor. Me too. 

I thought it was a poke at the British version of Ghosts.

That was my first thought.

• Like 3
  • Useful 3

Great episode Sam was right to tell Alicia about Todd's creepy behavior. I felt sorry for Alberta missing out on finding out what happened to her family, That duet was lovely. Hetty did the right thing admitting to being with Trevor Nigel needs to be careful about antagonizing Hetty. The other ghosts have known her longer than him and they will choose her over him. Trevor was right to confront Hetty.

• Like 8
  • Fire 1

I was so glad they made it so Alicia could actually sing!  I worried the whole time that she couldn’t, and then everyone would really have to work to dissuade her.  

Hetty’s, “There’s a chessboard in the library” bit had me rolling, along with all of Thor’s words tormenting Pete.  “Come on!  I’ve heard you say leather!”

• Like 13
  • LOL 5

Everything you wanted to know about Alberta and her descendant: https://www.tvinsider.com/1087464/ghosts-season-2-episode-18-alberta-murder-mystery-danielle-pinnock-ashley-d-kelley/amp/

Well. Almost everything we wanted to know.  
Shouldn't Todd have made a comment about the acoustics in the Woodstone creating something like an echo?
Or has it been established that Alberta can control whether or not her singing is heard by livings?

Maybe they can revisit this with a comment from Sam about her having to explain to Todd about “Woodstone acoustics” when he noticed it while editing the podcast. 

• Like 5
10 hours ago, ChitChat said:

After watching a rather depressing lead-in show (Young Sheldon), it's nice to be able to look forward to this funny show.   I'm surprised that Todd didn't leave after Sam outed his weirdness.  I'm glad that Hetty & Trevor called Nigel's bluff and outed themselves.  Jay was so cute with his enthusiasm about being on the Podcast.  I love this show!

Todd had to stay to do the podcast 

I thought they were a bit mean to Todd. He was being pretty normal and knew his eccentricities would turn her off and they just blurted them all out.   In time I'm sure he'd reveal these things was trying to ease into it. Definitely codblocked him!

• Like 15

Really liked this one. But it was the asides that really sold it. Flower's "I went to law school" and Pete and Thor over Thor's vocabulary. The little bits really sell the whole package of the show. Oh, and the opening when Alberta is going a mile a minute with questions and Sam just looks awkward to the living. Little things amuse me. 

• Like 21
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

Taking a chance on a singing career is risky, but she already has a law degree, so if the fails at singing, she can probably still support herself.

Hopefully she can take a sabbatical from her law firm rather than just quitting. Her voice is beautiful, but good singers are a dime a dozen, so it takes a bit of luck to make a profitable career. Nowadays you really need a good agent to get you some good gigs.

I can understand Thorfin using stereo since the alternative would be something like, "two sound music box". Landboat is shorter than automobile, and it uses words he already knows. However, I'm sure he is just doing it to get a rise out of the other ghosts. I find it very amusing.

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 3

Ngl, I cried a little when Alberta and Alicia were dueting. It was lovely, and the other ghosts' reactions as they sang together were just wonderful. 

Trevor is truly a bro-tastic good guy. I loved both the way he stood up for himself (know your worth, baby!) and how he was trying to protect Hetty. And, my poor Sass! So disappointed in himself for missing the drama for the last few months. I'm looking forward to his very best petty measures now that he has to catch up lol! 😂

Sam was ruthless in exposing Creepy Todd, but she had to since she was the one who edited the podcasts and made him seem normal. Sorry Todd - I'm sure there's a lock out there somewhere for your particular brand of creepy key, but it ain't Alicia. Keep it moving, my guy 🤷🏽‍♀️

• Like 15

I feel sorry for Sass.  Seems like he mentions how bored he is almost every episode.   I think he grew tired of being a ghost a very long time ago.  He had some short-lived happiness with dead car girl, so I'm hoping they can find a way to make Sass happy again, or at least not so bored!  

• Like 14
12 hours ago, shura said:

You cannot give in to a blackmailer, Hetty.  It won’t work.  He will only come back for more. 

What was with all the urgency about “codblocking” Todd?  The guy has a certain tattoo on his back, his relationship with Alicia can only go so far, even if she doesn’t pick up on the rest of his weirdness on her own. 

Also I don't see it as being in Hetty's nature to give in to coercion, whether or not she'd be embarrassed by the reveal. Deciding to burn it all down to spite her blackmailer is much more in character.

I have to agree about Todd. Does anyone really think he could keep all the creepiness about his obsession with Alberta hidden for any length of time while romancing her relative, when there would be constant Rebecca-style opportunities for her to find out? The only urgency was in Alberta being able to see Alicia reject him for herself rather than hearing about it through Sam the next time the two worked on a podcast together.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I thought they were a bit mean to Todd. He was being pretty normal and knew his eccentricities would turn her off and they just blurted them all out. 

Yeah, I felt the same way.  He's not a bad person at all, just  a bit off the deep end, at least as far as Alberta is concerned (though I admit I can't get past the toenail thing).  He's probably been made fun of his entire life.  But he also didn't seem embarrassed so he might actually be pretty secure in his oddness--you know, he might have realized that this is simply the way he is and other people are going to find him weird so he might as well accept it and get on with his life.

• Like 9
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I feel sorry for Sass.  Seems like he mentions how bored he is almost every episode.   I think he grew tired of being a ghost a very long time ago.  He had some short-lived happiness with dead car girl, so I'm hoping they can find a way to make Sass happy again, or at least not so bored!  

I think Sass and Thor have the saddest stories of all the ghosts.  Thor spent half a millennium entirely alone (it's surprising he didn't go stark raving mad and become some sort of demon) and Sass had to watch his people being mistreated without being able to help or even warn them.  

• Like 12
  • Sad 3
  • Useful 1

I thought there were a few missteps here and there in this episode. Hetty didn't outright expose Nigel's blackmail to the group, but her comments to him as he left the room should have given them that impression. We got no reaction from Isaac. I hope there's some follow-up where Isaac questions Nigel about his blackmail. Also, Trevor shares the TV room with Thor. We didn't get any reaction from Thor, how he felt about Nigel rooming with him.

We also didn't get any reaction from Alicia  learning that her great grandmother might have murdered Alberta.

I had to look up who played Alicia, I would have sworn she was related to Danielle Pinnock in real life. That was good casting. The singing was beautiful too.

Or has it been established that Alberta can control whether or not her singing is heard by livings?

Only her humming is heard by the livings. She has sung before without the livings hearing it, like at the dinner party back in Season 1.

• Like 6
  • Useful 4

I was so worried that it would turn out that Alicia would turn out to be a terrible singer and that she had accidently been set up to fail, but thank god she can actually sing! I can understand why Alberta would want her descendant to stick with a more stable career, but it was so great when she and Alberta started singing together, how can you not root for her. 

So many great little moments, especially Pete questioning why Thor uses some words and not other words and wondering if he's just messing with them. "You know stereo and not car?" "I've heard you say leather!"

I'm glad that Trevor told Hetty that she was hurting his feelings by acting totally ashamed by their relationship and that everything is out in the open, even if Nigel's blackmail and he and Hetty's petty feud was hilarious. The chessboard bit killed me, although I think the teacup might have a few moves as well. Loved everyone's reactions to them being together, lots of appropriate gasping, Isaac being supportive, and Sass being pissed that he never caught on. Come on Sass! 

I felt a bit bad for Todd, he and Alicia did actually seem pretty cute together, although the toenail thing would have probably been a deal breaker at some point. He's really weird but he seems like a decent person and seems pretty comfortable with who he is. He knows how he comes off to other people but seems to be confident with his own weirdness, hopefully one day he can find another weirdo one day. A deranged Isaac fan? 

Pete and Thor were adorable giving parenting advice. Now if Alicia ever decides to marry a Dane, Alberta will know just how to handle it. 

• Like 11
  • LOL 3