Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E18: Alberta’s Descendant

Neptune
  • Start Topic

Sass isn't the only ghost without powers, right?  Hetty and Pete don't have any yet as far as we know, so maybe the writers will fill in the gaps for all three eventually.

So far the show has followed the British version in that some ghosts simply don't have a special "power." Or it might be the case that they do but it's so lame they don't even know they have it. Like Sam's mom being able to burp fish-smelling burps. It's entirely possible Sass has something like that and wouldn't even know it.

I thought Pete could look inside objects. Pete was able to see what was in Bela's purse, and that helped Sam convince Bela that Sam could see ghosts. 

They can all do that, they can just walk through or stick their head through any solid object.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Packerbrewerbadger said:

Finally got to watch last week’s show , Ghosts is a comedy ( best one out there by far), why does it always make me tear up?  It is so heartfelt!❤️

They have a good mix of comedy along with the sweet moments.  They write these characters in a way that makes us actually care about them!  

• Like 5
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Packerbrewerbadger said:

Finally got to watch last week’s show , Ghosts is a comedy ( best one out there by far), why does it always make me tear up?  It is so heartfelt!❤️

The best comedy's to me have always had moments that make me tear up. It's a sign of great writing that we care so much for these characters despite the outrageous/silly/weird situations they are in. 

When Alberta starting singing along with Alicia, that got me. You could see how much it meant to Alberta. It was beautifully written and even more beautifully acted. 

• Like 9
  • Love 3
On 4/2/2023 at 10:39 AM, Bruinsfan said:

I rewatched yesterday and Isaac's puzzled reaction to "amorous congress" didn't feel right — it's a phrase I could easily see him using himself, and I can't imagine that he wouldn't understand the meaning, unlike the others. And Hetty had called for everyone's attention so it's not feasible that he could have missed hearing what she said at first. I wish Brandon had done a shocked gasp while everyone else looked confused.

I was thinking the same thing about Isaac! I thought his first gasp was a gasp of recognition, but alas, no.

I kept wanting Alberta and Alicia to look far more alike but they just didn’t, to me. Which is fine, because I don’t look like my great-whatever either. Their voices blending and complementing each other at the end, though, was so beautiful.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
On 4/2/2023 at 10:39 AM, Bruinsfan said:

I rewatched yesterday and Isaac's puzzled reaction to "amorous congress" didn't feel right — it's a phrase I could easily see him using himself, and I can't imagine that he wouldn't understand the meaning, unlike the others.

To me, there's a certain naivete' in this regard about Isaac.  I could understand him being oblivious to the term (much like me having to ask what codblocking was!!)  

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

The one that had me snort was #26: Have one's corn ground (1800).  I will never watch Little House on the Prairie in the same way again!!  I can picture Caroline (Ma) sauntering out to the barn asking Charles (Pa) to grind her corn.   ;)

There are many bawdy songs about "grinding corn".

:)

• LOL 2

I rewatched yesterday and Isaac's puzzled reaction to "amorous congress" didn't feel right — it's a phrase I could easily see him using himself, and I can't imagine that he wouldn't understand the meaning, unlike the others.

It could well be that Isaac knows what amorous congress is, but didn't understand at first why Hetty was using that expression WRT her and Trevor. In other words, "she can't be saying what I think she's saying, it's Trevor!"

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
30 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

It could well be that Isaac knows what amorous congress is, but didn't understand at first why Hetty was using that expression WRT her and Trevor. In other words, "she can't be saying what I think she's saying, it's Trevor!"

That was kind of how I took it. Like he was thinking, I wonder what she thinks she's saying because there's no way those to are congressing amorously. I would have know, she would have said, wait, what, it's TRUE!?!??!?!"

• Like 6
  • LOL 2

Yeah, that's how I also read it. Like his brain had to take a second to process everything :p. 

4 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I would have know, she would have said

And I definitely think this is part of it, too. He'd opened up to her about something so personal, they clearly have a very close friendship in general, so naturally he'd just assume that she would respond in kind. So yeah, the idea that there's something she's been keeping a secret from him, of all people, would definitely be a bit of a shock to him, even if he might understand why. 

• Like 3

I thought Samantha and the ghosts were dicks to Todd. Yes, he's obsessed with a long-dead blues singer, but their actions went beyond "warning" Alicia not to get involved with him. And if Samantha did it in such a way that she could insult him and still have him involved in her podcast, then she's a terrible person.

I wonder if Todd had been 6'2" and handsome and muscular, not short and chubby, if they would have been warning her to stay away. It actually might have been nice to have the niece see beyond Todd's quirks and discover that he's not really a bad person (even if all the ghosts think he is). As someone pointed out, Todd appears to own all his eccentricities. The ghosts' and Samantha's actions had me feeling sorry for Todd and thinking less of them.

It seems that Hetty and Trevor would be a natural match, given they were both members of the 1-percent (Hetty as the daughter and wife of a robber baron and Trevor as a "master of the universe" [h/t "Bonfire of the Vanities"]). While her prejudice against the Irish is played for laughs, chances are, Hetty would have probably been anti-Semitic too. In life, there's no way she would have been involved with a Jew.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1