Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E15: Teen Angst and a Smart-Boy Walk of Shame

Bort
  • Start Topic

I know Missy shouldn’t have said that to the teacher, but I can’t lie, I laughed. (I mean, she did deserve it after what she did to Wayne)

Yeah, Missy finally getting fed up with everything was a long time coming. It wasn’t just being left behind at school, it was the fact that she’s been sidelined by Sheldon, especially where Mary is concerned, on a regular basis. She’s right to be mad about that. In a way, Mary siding with Sheldon over her set in motion the chain of events that led to the Brenda and George mess.

Aw, Sheldon singing “Soft Kitty” to the baby.

Poor Mandy. Parenthood is overwhelming.

Mary, if your mother doesn’t like it when park over at her house every time you feel like it, maybe it’s a good idea to get a hotel room. Sorry, it had to be said.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 10

Poor Missy. 

I still don't think Mary's crush is comparable to what was going on between George and Brenda. She had a dream (unfortunately you can't control who you have sex dreams about, I have a few myself I wish I could bleach from my brain) and a public lunch. George and Brenda actually discussed going home together and had secret meetings. Infidelity breeds in shadow though, and now everything is out there, so who knows. 

Sturgis was the only part of Sheldon's storyline that really interested me. 

I wondered for a second if they were setting Mandy up to have PPD. It may be dark for a sitcom, but Paige's storyline is pretty dark. and Missy's seems to be heading in that direction as well.

• Like 11
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, ColJackOneill said:

Did we know Missy could drive? Is that George’s truck? I wonder if she’s going to hook up with Paige?

George taught her one night. He wanted to take her to Red Lobster but she was afraid her friends would see her with him, so he took her out and let her drive the truck. Can't remember the episode though.

I was wondering the same thing about Paige. She knew to take care of Paige the night of the party, but being with Paige while Missy herself is feeling so down could lead them both into trouble.

• Like 10

I forgot about Missy learning how to drive. I’m just glad she didn’t take off with Billy. They’ve spent so much time together lately that I could imagine him seeing her take off in the truck and hopping in to keep an eye out for her. 

I enjoyed Sheldon this episode. The football was amusing and I liked his singing Soft Kitty to the baby. 

• Like 13
2 hours ago, Tattooeddancer said:

George and Brenda actually discussed going home together and had secret meetings. Infidelity breeds in shadow though, and now everything is out there, so who knows. 

What happened was, Brenda suggested they go to her place, George said nothing, she said she shouldn’t have said that, and he had a heart attack.  I suppose this can be described as discussing going home together, but at the same time, it doesn’t have to be described that way.  I do believe George when he says that nothing has happened between him and Brenda. 

On a different note, how awesome is Georgie?  That man is a rock.  Btw, why are they calling the baby Ceecee?  Is that short for Constance Cooper?  Did they make her last name Copper and not McAllister after all?

• Like 14
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I almost didn't watch this series when it started 6 years ago because of how Sheldon in BBT described his childhood, especially his dad. As it turns out, George is tied with Georgie as my 2nd fav characters, Missy is my fav. This was an intense episode, and the scene where Mary and George are fighting in the kitchen and George sits down at the kitchen table and wipes a tear from his eye was very moving. Subtle, and moving.

Loved Sheldon singing Soft Kitty to Ceecee. Also loved that they are calling the baby Ceecee rather than Constance or Connie. We have a kitty named C.C. , so I am partial to the name. ☺️

Finally, poor Missy. ☹️

• Like 18

My heart is breaking for Missy.  Other than when she was newborn, struggling to live, she has never been a center of attention for the family except when she's in trouble.  Then, since her fragile health at birth caused Mary to go all in on church, she's carried that guilt as well.

She might have lost her mom to the church and Sheldon's needs, but she's always had George and Georgie.  Except when they're wrapped up like they are now in their own troubles.  Sure, she's twisted up in some silly teen girl angst, but having been a silly teen girl at one point in my life, I can tell you it is hella angsty to have those overwhelming dramatic emotions.  One single acknowledgement would have diverted her course, but it didn't come.  Some might characterize her behavior as incredibly selfish and overly dramatic, but I think she's playing true to normal experience for that age.

I love this show, but they need to remember to find the funny.

• Like 17
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

One single acknowledgement would have diverted her course, but it didn't come.  Some might characterize her behavior as incredibly selfish and overly dramatic, but I think she's playing true to normal experience for that age.

I love this show, but they need to remember to find the funny.

George did apologize profusely after she walked home. 
But, yeah, that's not what she is thinking about. 

48 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Anyone know why there isn't an episode next week?

All the CBS Thursday shows are pre-empted for Basketball. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
  • Sad 4
9 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

I almost didn't watch this series when it started 6 years ago because of how Sheldon in BBT described his childhood, especially his dad. As it turns out, George is tied with Georgie as my 2nd fav characters, Missy is my fav. This was an intense episode, and the scene where Mary and George are fighting in the kitchen and George sits down at the kitchen table and wipes a tear from his eye was very moving. Subtle, and moving.

Loved Sheldon singing Soft Kitty to Ceecee. Also loved that they are calling the baby Ceecee rather than Constance or Connie. We have a kitty named C.C. , so I am partial to the name. ☺️

Finally, poor Missy. ☹️

I absolutely agree: Missy is my fave, and I love Georgie, but I cannot believe how very much I love George. Who saw that coming? It makes what will happen fairly soon all the more devastating. I had seen Lance Barber in several other shows before Young Sheldon, including BBT, and was never very fond of him, mostly, probably, because he usually played drunken louts, but he gives George so much nuance and depth and warmth. I think the almost-infidelity storylines, both between him and Brenda, and Mary and Pastor Rob, has been handled very believably. It doesn't make me hate anyone, just feel sad for them all. 

Yes, poor Missy. 

• Like 23
8 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

She might have lost her mom to the church and Sheldon's needs, but she's always had George and Georgie.  Except when they're wrapped up like they are now in their own troubles.  Sure, she's twisted up in some silly teen girl angst, but having been a silly teen girl at one point in my life, I can tell you it is hella angsty to have those overwhelming dramatic emotions.  One single acknowledgement would have diverted her course, but it didn't come.  Some might characterize her behavior as incredibly selfish and overly dramatic, but I think she's playing true to normal experience for that age.

They could have at least told her that Brenda was at the hospital because she's the one who drove Mandy there rather than let her think they told everyone but her what was happening. 

• Like 16
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

They could have at least told her that Brenda was at the hospital because she's the one who drove Mandy there rather than let her think they told everyone but her what was happening. 

That was a good call on Sheldon's part: he wasn't delivering a baby OR driving anyone to the hospital. Though in both Texas and Pasadena, they don't seem to have ambulances (remembering the episode of BBT where Sheldon has to drive Penny to the hospital.)

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, kwnyc said:

That was a good call on Sheldon's part: he wasn't delivering a baby OR driving anyone to the hospital. Though in both Texas and Pasadena, they don't seem to have ambulances (remembering the episode of BBT where Sheldon has to drive Penny to the hospital.)

TV shows never seem to have ambulances.

Though if I recall correctly, Penny didn't want to call an ambulance because it would take too long...never mind that they took forever to get her dressed and then Sheldon drove at a snail's pace. At least "it's too expensive" would have made more sense.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 5

Poor Missy, this breakdown was a long time coming. Its not just about Missy's parents forgetting to pick her up one time, its really the culmination of her bitterness over feeling neglected in favor of Sheldon, especially by Mary, and feeling upset about her parents marriage issues. Now with a new baby its just going to mean even less time for her. I wish that George and Mary had at least paid some attention to her in the car and showed some real remorse an d compassion towards her. They're going through a lot to so I get why they couldn't deal with this right now, but her seeing Mary taking time to comfort Sheldon when she couldn't find any time to check in on her was the last straw. 

Sheldon was good in this episode, of course he assumes everyone is laughing at him for his project not working, he's always very much the main character of every story in his head. Awww he made the baby sleep with some soft kitty!

• Like 8

Sheldon being able to work out how to throw the football reminded me of the episode of BBT where he got Penny's laundry on the power lines and told her, essentially, that when you know the laws of physics, you can do anything.

• Like 14
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, ColJackOneill said:

I wonder if she’s going to hook up with Paige?

Going to see Paige would make sense. It's someone who will listen and offer a sympathetic ear. Paige would be willing to set aside her own issues or commiserate (competitive misery might be the theme for the night). The problem is that Paige does not have the best judegement and is not a great place mentally/emotionally right now, so it could go very, very, wrong. Missy is normally the voice of reason, but if she's upset, Paige might be able to talk her into doing something that's a horrible idea. 

Once Sheldon realizes that Missy isn't answering, he's going to go into her room or get George. 

3 hours ago, kwnyc said:

I would assume it would be too expensive, unless that's more of a modern thing and ambulances used to be less expensive. 

• Like 5
18 hours ago, kay1864 said:

What the heck was the vanity card about?

I think it had to do with the latest changing of words in certain books (Roald Dahl. Charlie & the Chocolate Factory.).  It's been in the news the past week.  

Overall, this was a very depressing episode.  The comedy is mostly gone from YS.  However, I did enjoy seeing Georgie & Mandy dealing with parenthood.  Sometimes Georgie is wise beyond his years!  

• Like 7

Sheldon and Dr. Linkletter's sarcasm practice was the best interaction they've had, IMO. 

Sheldon using physics to throw the football to George was awesome, but it seems more should have been made of it.

About Baby Cece/Constance:
Yes, she's totally adorable, and yes, the tiny actor is not a newborn:

image.png.7ab020da5933ed1802496e1ad1cae3e8.png

But her eye color is really not possible given 2 blue-eyed parents.
I know that they get this wrong more often than right on TV, but here it is *so* obvious that I wonder if there might be some possible way she's not Georgie's, which might not be revealed until close to the end of the series (next season?) which would explain a lot of the inconsistencies of Sheldon's claims about the past on TBBT.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 2
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

It actually is possible. The genetics of eye color is a lot more complex than the standard dominant and recessive taught in school. The show probably doesn’t realize that but I still doubt that it means anything.

20 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I liked Mandy and Georgie's little talk about their freakouts and what kind of parents they are. "The new kind...the well-meaning dumb kind."

That part made me cry!  It's just so honest and relatable.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

it.

About Baby Cece/Constance:
Yes, she's totally adorable, and yes, the tiny actor is not a newborn:

image.png.7ab020da5933ed1802496e1ad1cae3e8.png

Compared to the “newborn” on General Hospital right now who looks like he’s at least 6 months old, she looks age appropriate. 

• Like 3

I liked Mary choose Nana to be referred to as a grand mother. Great grand mother Connie has always been Meemaw.

Missy has been unhappy and fed up at home for a while. Forgetting her at school, then finding out from Billie everyone was at the hospital but her for Cece's birth was the last final straw. Also she knows about George and Brenda and Mary and the Pastor. There is a double standard in the household. Sheldon and Missy are the same age, but are treated differently. Sheldon receives more freedom and a lot less supervision then Missy.  Missy can see the difference and knows it. The school with her acting out to get attention but George and Mary just did not get it. 

Missy running away again and now taking the family vehicle. This is a bad situation kind of like how Paige went downhill after her parent divorce. 

• Like 5

The sad thing about the George-Mary situation is that their marriage has been doing better lately, and if they would approach it with couples counseling instead of feeling like what's happening means it's over, I think there'd be an excellent chance it'd work out fine.

Mary likes Rob because he shares her interest in the Church and he respects her. George likes Brenda because Brenda appreciates and validates him. They don't have unsolvable problems, not really.

• Like 14
Just now, possibilities said:

Mary likes Rob because he shares her interest in the Church and he respects her. George likes Brenda because Brenda appreciates and validates him. They don't have unsolvable problems, not really.

They both are finding outside their marriage what they should be getting in their marriage.  Definitely something both of them need to work out of they want to save their marriage.  I don't know about Mary so much but with George though I feel like they've been telling us for years now that George is unhappy not just with Mary but with being a Dad and being a breadwinner.  Sometimes they dial that back and George really steps up, but then they'll have another episode where you wonder why he's still around.

• Like 7
9 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

They both are finding outside their marriage what they should be getting in their marriage.  Definitely something both of them need to work out of they want to save their marriage.  I don't know about Mary so much but with George though I feel like they've been telling us for years now that George is unhappy not just with Mary but with being a Dad and being a breadwinner.  Sometimes they dial that back and George really steps up, but then they'll have another episode where you wonder why he's still around.

There seems to be a common theme among the characters who are struggling.   It's a feeling of,  "I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing, so why is everything falling apart?"

George:  He is the gym teacher and football coach that he is supposed to be.  But he has three kids and none of them play football.  Or go to any of the games.  It's like his path doesn't matter, and this is TEXAS football!

Mary:  She is the devoted wife and mother that she is supposed to be.  But her family is falling apart around her.

Missy:  Is supposed to be the level headed one.  And she is.  So why does everyone ignore her?

Even Dr. Linkletter is struggling.  He is living what should be his dream. Obtained his terminal degree, working at a prestigious college, and hobnobbing with the best and brightest minds in the area.  But Dr. Linkletter also seems unfulfilled.

Funny that Georgie of all people realizes he can break the cycle.  "We'll be the new kind of parents.  The well-meaning but dumb kind."

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

• Like 6
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, kwnyc said:

You don't really need an ambulance in either of those cases if you can find someone to drive you.

Someone should tell Mandy that the baby doesn't hate her, but is just picking up on her stress.  Maybe after she gets some sleep, things will go better.

Missy apparently drives a lot better at 12 than Georgie did at 14.  

Mary will probably blame George for Missy running away. She did do it on his watch after all.

• Like 6

I think both Mary and George are having their midlife crises. Mary had that afternoon at Sheldon's College where people thought she was a coed and then attention from young Pastor Rob, while George had to turn down the job at the University of Tulsa. Both of them are realizing that a lot of their dreams and ambitions are never going to happen. Some people learn to live with that and many never do. 

If Sheldon goes to Germany soon,  Missy may get more attention than she wants. 

I liked a lot of things about this is episode. 

• Like 7

Are we sure that Sheldon's data base is a 'failure'? There may be some technical glitch that is preventing access to the data base, or that prevented the announcement from being distributed or read or that is preventing the results from being reported properly. Perhaps no one has needed a grant over the past two days.

Also, some things just take time to become popular.

• Like 9
17 minutes ago, appositival said:

Are we sure that Sheldon's data base is a 'failure'? There may be some technical glitch that is preventing access to the data base, or that prevented the announcement from being distributed or read or that is preventing the results from being reported properly. Perhaps no one has needed a grant over the past two days.

Yes, I was surprised at where this conversation between Sheldon and Dr. Sturgis went . . . 

• [SHELDON] I don't understand. The code is perfect. It should have worked.
  • [DR. STURGIS] Well, the problem isn't that it didn't work, the problem is that nobody wanted to use it. 
  • [SHELDON] So, you're saying we didn't fail, the public failed us. 
  • No, we failed. 
  • [SHELDON] And you've also failed at cheering me up, so good job.
  • [DR. STURGIS] Here's a thought. I've been toying around with this new plasma confinement idea. Why don't we work on that and, uh, take your mind off the database?

I was sure that Dr. Sturgis was going to address the issue of the public not being aware of the database by pointing out Sheldon's failure to "market" the database via scientific publications, Usenet chats, and even the university's connections, etc.

Dr. Sturgis's advice to move onto another endeavor (and his attempts at uplifting song and dance) were valid, but a scientific approach would also focus on the lack of audience response——whether technical or psychological.

But I guess the writers rightly figured that the Young Sheldon audience is weary of the database story (perhaps in part because the writers themselves were tired of the database arc) and so are dropping it.

And so, instead of, perhaps, Will Wheaton appearing as a hacker sabotaging of the database, we have:
Missy In Peril!
——which is a legitimate story for a show with an audience including young people.

• Like 7
On 3/9/2023 at 8:59 PM, ColJackOneill said:

Did we know Missy could drive? Is that George’s truck? I wonder if she’s going to hook up with Paige?

A few episodes ago, George was teaching her - in his truck, in a parking lot, I think.

• Like 4

I love how a lesson or two and voila someone can drive!  I say this with some degree of bitterness as someone who had driving lessons and even after weeks of them still approached the car as if it could blow up on me if I did one thing wrong.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
1 hour ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

I love how a lesson or two and voila someone can drive!  I say this with some degree of bitterness as someone who had driving lessons and even after weeks of them still approached the car as if it could blow up on me if I did one thing wrong.

And then there are young wannabe drivers who approach the car as if they own the road——often until they get into enough fender benders or accrue enough tickets to tamp down their undeserved self confidence as drivers of lethal weapons.

The look on Missy’s face behind the wheel did not look like that of a carefree young person, but whether or not her fear has anything to do with considering what can go wrong when one is driving, I have no idea.  
She had a lot of stuff happening over which she felt powerless.  
🤞🙏

• Like 7
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Dr. Sturgis's advice to move onto another endeavor (and his attempts at uplifting song and dance) were valid, but a scientific approach would also focus on the lack of audience response——whether technical or psychological.

I liked this exchange. Suggesting they work on something else may be Dr. Sturgis utilizing tools he learned, either over time or during his inpatient stay, to move forward and avoid becoming obsessed with something. If that is the attempt, the message didn't stick with Sheldon.

• Like 6
On 3/11/2023 at 6:56 AM, appositival said:

I don't think there was much mention of how the database was marketed.  After all this was a specialized database of interest to a limited audience, not like a game or social media website. I doubt anyone in real life would expect a flood of use immediately upon release.  If the database came up and was searchable, that would be success.  Now do the hard work of finding who would need your database and marketing it to them.

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Like 4
7 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

I love how a lesson or two and voila someone can drive! 

I think some of them think they can drive because they've been playing video games that mimic driving a car!  I've actually heard that one before!  

7 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Meemaw let underage Georgie drive and would probably do the same for Missy. 

On 3/9/2023 at 6:11 PM, Tattooeddancer said:

Can't remember the episode though.

S05.E15. Exactly a season ago. 

I just saw a clip of the season 2 episode where they twins participate in a research study. Missy talks about (and her parent hear) how nobody is on her team. Four seasons later she’s stuck in the same place even though Georgie and Sheldon are mostly on their own. Missy deserves better. 

1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

I think some of them think they can drive because they've been playing video games that mimic driving a car!  I've actually heard that one before!  

You didn't learn how to drive by playing the arcade sit down version of Pole Position?? 

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

You didn't learn how to drive by playing the arcade sit down version of Pole Position?? 

Never heard of it!  Yes, I'm old!  ;)  We had simulators in high school where you had to show some proficiency in that before ever getting into a real car!  One of the few arcade games I ever played was asteroids, so unfortunately, that wasn't going to help me!  I did, however, ride mini-bikes when I was around 11 years old, so I guess that helped in some way. 

1 hour ago, Dani said:

Four seasons later she’s stuck in the same place even though Georgie and Sheldon are mostly on their own. Missy deserves better. 

It's sad that they didn't let that lesson sink in and stick with Mary.  I think they tried doing some girl-type of things, but then Missy started getting at the age where she didn't want her mom around anyway.  Thing is, Mary should've tried harder with her.  It's always been about Sheldon.  I would feel the same as her. 

• Like 6
10 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

Thing is, Mary should've tried harder with her.  It's always been about Sheldon.  I would feel the same as her. 

What's weird is this year Mary didn't even seem to be paying that much attention to Sheldon!  The times he stayed in the dorms, especially overnight, just seemed unlikely to me.  I guess the point they were making is that Mary has been overwhelmed but except for this episode this season I didn't get the feeling Sheldon was a big focus of her life...not that Missy was either!   But honestly in some ways in the last few episodes Missy was spending a lot more time with Mary than ever before - and Sheldon was barely around.

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Like 5