Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Blood Moon Binga

Bort
  • Start Topic

A blood moon brings out some of the weirdest cases New York has to offer along with a surprise visitor: Abby's mom, who's carrying some secrets. Gurgs suspects Dan knows more than he's letting on. Olivia and Neil stumble on the truth.

Airdate: February 28, 2023

• Like 1

Dan's "Okay, now that that's out of the way, Neil, what the hell are you wearing?" and Gurgs' "Did you hit a jukebox and it didn't work?" in response to Neil's new look this episode gave me a good laugh :D. As did all the "blood moon" style court cases (the werewolf lady was my favorite :p), and people celebrating when they hit bingo or came close to it on their Blood Moon cards. 

Liked the storyline with Abby and her mom, too. Good casting for her mom, too - it took me a second to place Faith Ford, but of course, she was on "Murphy Brown"! Nice to see her on here. And I liked Dan's struggle over Abby finding out about her mom's past, too. 

So Neil has a thing for Abby, eh? Not too surprised by that revelation, but I'm interested to see what they'll do with that.

• Like 9

Still a sweetness about the show that I find appealing.  I knew Neil liking Abby would be a thing! but I still want it to come out in a “stranded-in-the-elevator” ep.

Olivia is wearing me down.  First ep I thought “God, NO!”…but I was psyched when she won the BINGA game.

Gurgs’ last scene had all the zingers, and they were all hers.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

So Neil has a thing for Abby, eh? Not too surprised by that revelation, but I'm interested to see what they'll do with that.

No, just no.   They did that on Judging Amy.   Can you we PLEASE have professionalism in the work place?   the power dynamics between Judge and Clerk just make it all kinds of wrong.

• Like 3

Halfway through I thought, "This is EASILY the best episode yet." Fortunately the rest of the episode held up.

All the humor from the fast-paced wacky cases! All five characters got to be funny! The classic old-school Night Court combination of courtroom hijinks and more serious character drama!

Of course Harry would have a daughter named Abracadabra. That's the most likable thing about Abby to date. For once her lack of a personality didn't bother me.

She and Neil don't have any chemistry, friend or otherwise, so the crush does nothing for me. I don't hate it though, mostly because it feels like the show trying to give a do-over to the original, where Harry and Lana was obviously supposed to be the romantic pairing until Karen Austin didn't work out.

Loved it. Was it as good as the original? No. But it was great for itself.

• Like 7
18 hours ago, kariyaki said:

"Blood Moon Binga". A blood moon brings out some of the weirdest cases New York has to offer along with a surprise visitor: Abby's mom, who's carrying some secrets. Gurgs suspects Dan knows more than he's letting on. Olivia and Neil stumble on the truth.

Yhis ep I liked! It was a lot more like the original in tone and style.  I did enjoy Gurgs asking Neil if he was able to make the jukebox work.

• Like 5

I didn’t watch this yet as I was worried the mom’s secret would be she was one of Dan’s many lovers from back in the day. Please tell me that wasn’t it. Go ahead, spoil it. 

24 minutes ago, Claire85 said:

I didn’t watch this yet as I was worried the mom’s secret would be she was one of Dan’s many lovers from back in the day. Please tell me that wasn’t it. Go ahead, spoil it. 

Spoiler

Gurgs suspected that was the case and there was a classic misunderstanding scene about it, but no,  Mom and Dan never had any relations. 

The secret is that she told Abbey that she and Harry met at the fair, when in reality she was a defendant in Night Court long ago and met Harry that way. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Each episode is getting more cohesive, but... 

I am still struggling with Melissa Rauch not doing the high-pitched voice we all knew from BBT. I'll get over that. I would like to see her reveal some big personal quirk beyond seeing the good in everyone. Oh, and that long blonde hair is too Bernadette-ish.

India de Beaufort does everything too broadly in her character's revelations of low self-esteem. The way she's playing every line for a laugh is not funny.

John Larroquette remains a treasure whose comedic timing is spot on. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

If anything, this series is downplaying Dan's past as a horndog.  We see him now as the lonely widower, fondly reminiscing about his wife, and off hand I can't recall any references to his lecherous past.  Gurgs's assumption that he and Gina had a sexual history is the first indication we've had, I think, that Dan has any kind of reputation for his sexual proclivities.  As the Wendie Malick episode showed, he's awkward about even asking somebody out for dinner these days.

The parade of weird cases, and everyone in court playing Bingo (sorry, Binga) based on it, felt very original series.  Gurgs got the best comedy in the end scene, both the "Did you hit the jukebox" line, and also the wisecrack about the werewolf lady ("She's got her own stuff going on").

• Like 5
44 minutes ago, Mezzaluna said:

I am still struggling with Melissa Rauch not doing the high-pitched voice we all knew from BBT. I'll get over that.

I’m so glad she’s not doing it as that voice got pretty annoying pretty quickly

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

This was the best episode so far. Loved that a lot of it took place in the courtroom with a cavalcade of cases. Gurgs was firing on all cylinders. Loved the stuff with Abby, her mom, and Dan.

India does play Olivia perhaps too broadly, but I'm kinda charmed by it, and I usually hate broad comedy (Hello Chuck Lorre-land).

• Like 5

Will we ever see the soon to be dumped fiancé, Rand?

I thought the mom’s casting was well-done.  And I liked the color Olivia’s suite, just wish the pants were less legging-like.

• Like 3

You mean to tell me that Abby had gone all the way through law school, been sworn in to the bar, become a judge TWICE and never had to use her full legal name?   See little things like that bother me.    They could have had the reveal of her real name to the court, not to her.   

LOVED the cases.   That poor lady just sitting there while everyone waits for her to transform.   The blood moon binga cards.   Because I can see somethng like that really happening (although not so obviously).   

Dan:   Why would you think that just because I wanted to see her in handcuffs?   Oh wait I get it now.

Did the jukebox not turn on?  Hey earth angel.  

But apparently Abby is from hooterville since the town now has TWO buses.

• Like 7

I know it’s supposed to be nudge nudge wink wink but no way do I see Harry naming his daughter Abracadabra or a woman letting that happen.  It was a very weak joke.

Harry would have named his daughter Melanie before that nonsense.

• Like 3

I kind of assumed that her legal name is Abby and it was a compromise between Harry and her mother.  For instance, he wanted to call her Abracadabra.  Faith Ford would not let him do that.  So they agreed on Abby, usually a nickname, being her legal name.  Everyone would assume it's from Abigail but Abracadabra is the truth.

I do not believe that'd be a family secret this long, though.  Harry wasn't quiet about his love of magic nor does his mischievous spirit make me believe he wouldn't have shared this with his daughter.

Faith Ford was great, though, and I'd love to see her back.  I liked the little bit of edge to her that comes out in NYC.

• Like 10
(edited)
12 hours ago, merylinkid said:

You mean to tell me that Abby had gone all the way through law school, been sworn in to the bar, become a judge TWICE and never had to use her full legal name?   See little things like that bother me.    They could have had the reveal of her real name to the court, not to her.   

LOVED the cases.   That poor lady just sitting there while everyone waits for her to transform.   The blood moon binga cards.   Because I can see somethng like that really happening (although not so obviously).   

Dan:   Why would you think that just because I wanted to see her in handcuffs?   Oh wait I get it now.

Did the jukebox not turn on?  Hey earth angel.  

But apparently Abby is from hooterville since the town now has TWO buses.

Sounds like the ****hole I live in unfortunately. Do not move to The country, rurally, without doing a lot of research people… it sucks.  
hard to believe her given name was a big secret. Also hard to believe & inexplicable as to why they didn’t tell the truth about her mother.  I mean it wasn’t the worst thing in the world and I call  bullshit on the secret never coming out. must’ve been a really small crappy town They lived in and nobody knew how to do any research. 

Edited by chediavolo
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I kind of assumed that her legal name is Abby and it was a compromise between Harry and her mother.  For instance, he wanted to call her Abracadabra.  Faith Ford would not let him do that.  So they agreed on Abby, usually a nickname, being her legal name.  Everyone would assume it's from Abigail but Abracadabra is the truth.

yep, I go with your thought.  I once had an employee whose name was Vicky - usually a nickname for Victoria. But her parents and her birth certificate said "Vicky".

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I do not believe that'd be a family secret this long, though.  Harry wasn't quiet about his love of magic nor does his mischievous spirit make me believe he wouldn't have shared this with his daughter.

Faith Ford was great, though, and I'd love to see her back.  I liked the little bit of edge to her that comes out in NYC.

My first thought was how did she not know her real name? But that is a good explanation. Still, I think I would have liked it if she knew her name was Abracadabra and then everyone else found out.

The rest of the family secret I was fine with. I can see Gina not wanting Abby to know how they met. 

This episode was funny and I did laugh out loud several times. 

• Like 6
On 3/1/2023 at 2:30 PM, nora1992 said:

I thought the mom’s casting was well-done. 

I thought so too but I have a personal pet peeve with actors playing parents that are not believably older than their TV children.  Faith Ford is only 16 years older than Melissa and looks good for her age.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 3/1/2023 at 11:26 PM, TheOtherOne said:

"Well, actually, for legal reasons, it's Binga. 'Blood Moon Bingo' is a John Cusack Redbox movie."

Thanks, I did miss that.

On 3/2/2023 at 8:32 AM, zapper said:

yep, I go with your thought.  I once had an employee whose name was Vicky - usually a nickname for Victoria. But her parents and her birth certificate said "Vicky".

I used to work with a Katie, which she said was not a nickname.

• Like 1

Well remember the episode in the original when it was revealed that Dan's real name is "Reinhold"?  Of course it was a gag relating to creator Reinhold Weege.

Yes maybe Abby is her legal name or something and Abby just wrote Abigail on her records but that didn't bother me.   The original show had bigger stretches of disbelief than that occasionally (remember the cartoon defendant - was it Wile E. Coyote?)

I thought this was by far the best episode, the weird cases alone would have made it for me, but the backstory of Gina actually worked well to make things more interesting.  I was glad too that she wasn't one of Dan's conquests though the handcuff misunderstanding gag was pretty funny.  I agree they do need to acknowledge Dan's past once in a while, just for continuity.

I think they've done a great job bringing Gurgs along in her role.  Olivia is still a work in  progress I guess.  As for Neil I wonder if they are deliberately making him bland, but I actually thought he looked cute in the leather jacket.  Though I don't think the crush on Abby will be long lived, at least it doesn't seem promising.

All in all it really felt like the old show tonight.

• Like 2

The one line that really made me laugh was (and I'm paraphrasing) when the possessed person asked if Dan knew Satan and Dan said "Oh, he and I go way back".  Way to acknowledge his mean/lecher past without having to go into detail, show!  

I really liked the lineup of wacky litigants; we definitely need more of that and a bit less of the heartwarming stuff.  I mean, a bit of heartwarming is good, but this show was always more on the snarky-wacky side of things, and wasn't afraid to be mean (which set it apart from lots of other shows).  Having every show with a heartwarming moment/moral will quickly rob those moments of any meaning ("oh boy, here comes another one").  The original show, by doling them out much less often, really earned those moments.

• Like 5

I suspect that Harry and mom had some arguements over Abbey's name, and compromised; officially she is Abbey on the records, but they know she is Abracadabra. 

Likely while growing up, Abbey was called Abracadabra by Harry, but she took it as a baby/nick name ("Here's my Abracadabra!") and probably hated it like kids tend to do. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1