Type keyword(s) to search

PBS: Viewers Like You. Thank You.

• Start Topic

On a shallow note, what's with all these old-timey hottie presidents? First Teddy Roosevelt and now Garfield! Forget Poldark and the men of Downton, the real man-candy can apparently be found at the Hall of Presidents!

ETA - I just finished watching and how heartbreaking! That Dr. Bliss is just as responsible for Garfield's death as the assassin. He should have lost his medical license at the very least, but that doesn't appear to be the case. How frustrating!

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 3

On a shallow note, what's with all these old-timey hottie presidents? First Teddy Roosevelt and now Garfield! Forget Poldark and the men of Downton, the real man-candy can apparently be found at the Hall of Presidents!

If you like men with awesome beards, King George V and his cousin Tsar Nicholas sport two of the finest I've ever seen.

Charles Guiteau has a prominent role in Stephen Sondheim's musical Assassins, which is where I first learned about him and the shooting of Garfield. His song in the play is, um, interesting, ending with him doing a kick-step up the stairs to the gallows.

BTW, did the show talk at all about how Robert Todd Lincoln was an eyewitness to the shooting? He was also in DC at the time of his father's assassination, attending the deathbed, and happened to be at the Pan American Exhibition at the same time as McKinley's shooting there, although he didn't witness it personally. Just a really interesting coincidence in American history!

Edwin Booth saved Robert Todd Lincoln from injury/death on a train platform a couple years before Edwin's brother assassinated Robert's father.

• Love 3

Not that I can find. I really love the house they're doing now.

I also love this house -- and all the details that have gone into actually restoring the original elements, like the windows.  I hope the neighbors like the bold Victorian colors on the house!  I love the colors, but know that not everyone likes to see such vibrant exterior colors.  The treehouse is very cool, but I was surprised that the children appeared to be around 4 and 6, so they will grow into it.  The drawback to that house/lot for children is that the back yard is pretty much non-existent especially now that they have gone with succulent plantings instead of grass. But the interior is beautiful.  And I love any scene with Tommy in it. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Last night PBS showed a Docu titled  'POOR KIDS"

It didn't end for me because there was no 'update' on how the families featured were doing ?  Did I miss it ?

Did PBS pay the families to tell their stories. I wonder what kind of compensation the families got.?

Edited by stillhere1900

Last night PBS showed a Docu titled  'POOR KIDS"

It didn't end for me because there was no 'update' on how the families featured were doing ?  Did I miss it ?

Did PBS pay the families to tell their stories. I wonder what kind of compensation the families got.?

I haven't seen it, but PBS/Frontline lists its journalistic guidelines here (skip to 33). The short answer is payment is not allowed. There's an update on that episode here.

• Love 3

Anyone else watch A Year in Space about Scott Kelly's recent mission on the space station? I am in no way a space geek, but this was so interesting. What great footage not only inside the SS showing his life during the year, but also of earth..and that aurora they passed over. Wow, how gorgeous! I really enjoyed this show.

• Love 3

Well, I am a space geek, and I always really love PBS's space shows. A Year in Space was especially good, I thought. I really liked how it got into just about every aspect of an astronaut's life on the ISS. As someone who watches a lot of documentaries about the Mercury-Apollo programs, just the idea of being able to Skype with your kid from the ISS while the child is sitting on her bed at home just tickled me to no end--the advancement in communications alone in just 50 years is amazing.

I didn't know about the resupply problems in the past year, though.

• Love 2
(edited)

Sharpie66, I meant to add that I remember hearing on the news when the Spacex cargo missle failed when it happened, but I really didn't stop to think of the magnitude of the failure at the time. I feel so ashamed now. And to know that two cargo missles failed!! That's alarming! Watching the space station dock with the cargo missle was beyond cool.

It will be interesting as NASA continues to compare Scott's aging process, health, etc., with Mark's. I hope he doesn't suffer any ill effects or consequences. Those are some pretty brave people if you ask me.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 2

Anyone catch Independent Lens "An honest Liar" last night?  James Randi debunking all the bunk was all kinds of awesome. 

I watched the first 35 minutes or so, and DVRed the rest, since I was falling asleep (I get up early, so I turn in early). I plan on watching the rest of it tonight.  I did enjoy what I watched; I knew about the Popoff and Geller debunking, but it was interesting to see how they were done.

Edited by MichelleAK
  • Love 1

I watched the first 35 minutes or so, and DVRed the rest, since I was falling asleep (I get up early, so I turn in early). I plan on watching the rest of it tonight.  I did enjoy what I watched; I knew about the Popoff and Geller debunking, but it was interesting to see how they were done.

I really enjoyed it, even though I've seen a lot of it before.  I think the love story was very touching, too.  I am glad he has a partner who is still with him in his golden years.

• Love 1

My favorite show of all time, Antiques Roadshow, will be in Ft Worth on July 23 and I will find out on May 10 if I won tickets through their lottery. Please keep your fingers crossed for me! I really don't have anything exciting to take...I come from a modest lineage, darn it. I do have a somewhat antique globe which is easy to transport and will probably take, but am thinking about going to some local antique malls to see if I can find something else intriguing to take. I think you can take two items. Since AR has been around for years, I doubt I can find anything earth shattering because folks are so much more educated about markings, etc., now, but if I find something that I like that is also interesting, I might spend a few bucks. Has anyone been lucky enough to go to AR and what was your experience like?y

eta: my sister and I are not twins but people often ask if we are...we are a year apart. If nothing else, I want us to be on the Feedback Booth and ask the twin Keno brothers to go out with us!!!

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 7

My favorite show of all time, Antiques Roadshow, will be in Ft Worth on July 23 and I will find out on May 10 if I won tickets through their lottery. Please keep your fingers crossed for me! I really don't have anything exciting to take...I come from a modest lineage, darn it. I do have a somewhat antique globe which is easy to transport and will probably take, but am thinking about going to some local antique malls to see if I can find something else intriguing to take. I think you can take two items. Since AR has been around for years, I doubt I can find anything earth shattering because folks are so much more educated about markings, etc., now, but if I find something that I like that is also interesting, I might spend a few bucks. Has anyone been lucky enough to go to AR and what was your experience like?y

eta: my sister and I are not twins but people often ask if we are...we are a year apart. If nothing else, I want us to be on the Feedback Booth and ask the twin Keno brothers to go out with us!!!

Lurking fangirl here - I want SO bad for you to win a place!  I've missed them every time they came anywhere near San Diego, and I have SO many things I want to know about!  Please keep us updated.

ETA - PM me if you need a small cool object easy to ship to you.  I have an old silver cigarette case with Asian-looking  etchings & inscriptions that might be from WWII - I've always wondered about it!!!

• Love 1

Lurking fangirl here - I want SO bad for you to win a place!  I've missed them every time they came anywhere near San Diego, and I have SO many things I want to know about!  Please keep us updated.

ETA - PM me if you need a small cool object easy to ship to you.  I have an old silver cigarette case with Asian-looking  etchings & inscriptions that might be from WWII - I've always wondered about it!!!

Walnutqueen, I will definitely let you know how it turns out. AR was in Austin not long ago and being the optimist that I am, I booked a room at the Hilton near the Convention Center...I was so SURE that I would get tix. To make my story even more pitiful, I had planned the bars and restaurants that my sister and I would visit while down there. Alas, I did not get tix and canceled the hotel without charge but I was sad.....sad and bitter when I watched the episode in Austin and the great items they showed.

• Love 2

Walnutqueen, I will definitely let you know how it turns out. AR was in Austin not long ago and being the optimist that I am, I booked a room at the Hilton near the Convention Center...I was so SURE that I would get tix. To make my story even more pitiful, I had planned the bars and restaurants that my sister and I would visit while down there. Alas, I did not get tix and canceled the hotel without charge but I was sad.....sad and bitter when I watched the episode in Austin and the great items they showed.

Awww!  Better luck next time, Spunkygal!

We can still live vicariously through the people who DO make it to the finals.  :-)

• Love 2

Another AR fan here--I tried/failed to get tickets to NYC last year and am waiting to see if I won for Virginia Beach this year.  I really don't have anything good to bring either but my parents do and have agreed to give me a couple of things to schlep and have appraised should I win in the ticket lottery.  I am more excited to possibly meet some of my favorite appraisers--probably some of you all's as well!  i.e. Kevin Zavian, Nicholas Lowry, ponytail book guy, hipster pop culture lady from Los Angeles, Keno bros etc etc etc. 

Anyway, the main reason I came online to post was to comment on the final appraisal of the evening in Tucson last night.  The dear man with his Rolex will probably be in one of my top five appraisals for his genuinely stunned and lovely reaction!  It may be online somewhere already (have not looked) but he had purchased two watches in Germany back when he was in the Army in the early 60s or something...for like $100 each which was a LOT of money for him back then.  They valued it at something like $65-75K!  He had saved all of the paperwork and documentation which really upped the $$. 

• Love 1

Did anyone watch Independent Lens "Welcome to Leith" last night?  It was an excellent documentary about the White Supremacist movement trying to take over a tiny town in North Dakota.

http://www.pbs.org/video/2365698306/

http://www.vice.com/read/welcome-to-leith-documents-the-neo-nazi-attempt-to-take-over-a-rural-north-dakota-town-909

I did, but not the whole thing (I had fallen asleep during the 9-10 AR repeat).  It was quite interesting...    I definitely missed some context during the beginning though--about the current residents or what not. 

• Love 1

Watched an episode of "Curious Traveler" on Create, which focused on Wales. It was the first time I'd seen the program; I really enjoyed it.

Are the programs on Create all repeats of previously aired shows on PBS stations?

• Love 1

Did anyone watch the Jackie Robinson documentary? I don't watch baseball, so I knew little about him other than him breaking the color barrier in the sport. I have much respect for him after watching this; not only did he tirelessly fight for civil rights, but he was such a devoted husband and father--in addition to being very outspoken, yet humble. He was such a class act. Rachel was gorgeous back then and at 93?! She looks frigging incredible.

The documentary did an excellent job of revealing the many layers of Robinson--then again, it was directed by Ken Burns, so I expect nothing less than superior from him.  For those who haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.

Edited by sereion1
  • Love 5

Watched an episode of "Curious Traveler" on Create, which focused on Wales. It was the first time I'd seen the program; I really enjoyed it.

Are the programs on Create all repeats of previously aired shows on PBS stations?

Create is my new favorite channel. My cable package just got it.

No idea if it has anything to do with PBS.

• Love 1

Create is definitely PBS-related; it's called WTTWC (WTTW being the main PBS station in Chicago) on my cable listing.

I've got the four hours of Jackie Robinson on my dvr to watch later this week. I learned a lot about him on the Ken Burns Baseball documentary, so I am looking forward to even more details on his life with this one.

• Love 2

Yes, Create is PBS. One of the DC stations used to carry it, but switched the channel to the UK channel. I complained and got a lot of double talk that came down to Create was asking for more money than they (WETA) was willing to pay. Alabama Public TV, Tampa FL PBS, and NOLA public markets carry it. I always look for it when I travel. ​ rcc, ​what PBS market are you in?

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 2

Yes, Create is PBS. One of the DC stations used to carry it, but switched the channel to the UK channel. I complained and got a lot of double talk that came down to Create was asking for more money than they (WETA) was willing to pay. Alabama Public TV, Tampa FL PBS, and NOLA public markets carry it. I always look for it when I travel. ​ rcc, ​what PBS market are you in?

MPBN Maine.

Did anyone watch the Jackie Robinson documentary? I don't watch baseball, so I knew little about him other than him breaking the color barrier in the sport. I have much respect for him after watching this; not only did he tirelessly fight for civil rights, but he was such a devoted husband and father--and very outspoken, yet humble. He was such class act. Rachel was gorgeous back then and at 93?! She looks frigging incredible.

The documentary did an excellent job of revealing the many layers of Robinson--then again, it was directed by Ken Burns, so I expect nothing less than superior from him.  For those who haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.

I agree with everything you said.  I didn't realize how little I knew about Jackie Robinson until I saw this series.   I loved that there was so much interesting film footage.  And Rachel does look gorgeous.  What a lovely woman.

Actually, after watching this, I don't understand why they even made the movie "42," which I didn't see.  If people are interested in knowing more about him, all they need to do is watch this documentary.

• Love 2

Yeah, I didn't watch "42", either, so I agree that the film probably didn't do justice to his story. I also loved the film footage; especially when he's speaking. That was the first time I've ever heard his voice!

• Love 1

Did anyone watch the Jackie Robinson documentary? I don't watch baseball, so I knew little about him other than him breaking the color barrier in the sport. I have much respect for him after watching this; not only did he tirelessly fight for civil rights, but he was such a devoted husband and father--in addition to being very outspoken, yet humble. He was such a class act. Rachel was gorgeous back then and at 93?! She looks frigging incredible.

I loved it. HIs St. Albans house was about 2 miles away from my childhood home. I was a young kid when he was playing. Family tradition went for the Yankees though.

I remember when the Dodgers finally won the world series, the pastor gave the grammar school the day off to celebrate.  So much of my early childhood was tied up in that NYC baseball rivality.

• Love 3

I agree with everything you said. I didn't realize how little I knew about Jackie Robinson until I saw this series. I loved that there was so much interesting film footage. And Rachel does look gorgeous. What a lovely woman.

Actually, after watching this, I don't understand why they even made the movie "42," which I didn't see. If people are interested in knowing more about him, all they need to do is watch this documentary.

42 is three years old, so it came well before this documentary. As biopics go, it was well acted but a bit safe and "Jackie Robinson 101". I'd still recommend it to someone who liked conventional sports movies or a tween/teen who might not know much about him or how important he was. Many people simply won't watch documentaries at all, or dive into one out of the blue. OTOH, if they like the movie version, then maybe they'll seek out biographies or real footage.

• Love 3

I loved it. HIs St. Albans house was about 2 miles away from my childhood home. I was a young kid when he was playing. Family tradition went for the Yankees though.

I remember when the Dodgers finally won the world series, the pastor gave the grammar school the day off to celebrate.  So much of my early childhood was tied up in that NYC baseball rivality.

Wow, how cool is that! Did you ever meet him and/or his family around town?

Is there a thread somewhere for "This Old House" on PBS?

In case someone hasn't told chessiegal- or in case she hasn't found it on her own- it has it's own thread under the T shows; just click to show all the shows and it's there.

I always look for it when I travel

If you are ever in North Texas/ DFW area, it's over the air at 13.3.  Since I have crafty relatives and cook-y relatives, I've talked it up to them, but I haven't heard them say anything about finding or watching the channel. I tend to watch more of Create than the mothership.

I'm in the middle of watching the latest Antiques Roadshow. Something unique happened--someone brought in a contemporary painting they got in a thrift shop, and one of the show's workers saw it come through the door and said, "Hey, I painted that years ago!" The appraiser said that, with the artist right there, she would have to say it was priceless, but actually gave it a value of $300.

• Love 4
On April 15, 2016 at 10:31 PM, Dejana said:

42 is three years old, so it came well before this documentary. As biopics go, it was well acted but a bit safe and "Jackie Robinson 101". I'd still recommend it to someone who liked conventional sports movies or a tween/teen who might not know much about him or how important he was. Many people simply won't watch documentaries at all, or dive into one out of the blue. OTOH, if they like the movie version, then maybe they'll seek out biographies or real footage.

I, too, thought it was pretty good as biopics go.  Mostly because of Nicole Baharie of Sleepy Hollow she is such a good actress.  The doc really showed that Jackie was sticking up for himself and his race all along.  Must have been so hard to take all that shit from lesser players.  Also the "myth" of Pee Wee Reese. Rachel's picture was better. 

• Love 1

Chessiegirl, I'm in the DC Metro area too. If you can get the Baltimore stations, Channel 22.2 is Create (for about 6 hours a day).

I watched American Masters program about Janis Joplin. Oh my.....I was in tears during her interview about her high school classmates. The pain in her voice and the pain on her face were too much for me. And it was even more painful when she was trying to make light of it.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Milz said:

Chessiegirl, I'm in the DC Metro area too. If you can get the Baltimore stations, Channel 22.2 is Create (for about 6 hours a day).

I watched American Masters program about Janis Joplin. Oh my.....I was in tears during her interview about her high school classmates. The pain in her voice and the pain on her face were too much for me. And it was even more painful when she was trying to make light of it.

Are you watching over broadcast antenna TV? We have Verizon FIOS, and it carries MPT2 which has shows similar to Create, but it's not Create.

4 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Are you watching over broadcast antenna TV? We have Verizon FIOS, and it carries MPT2 which has shows similar to Create, but it's not Create.

MPT2 is what I mean (I do broadcast at home. Comcast at work.) It's not Create 24/7 like WETA used to be, but MPT2 's programming is Create for about 6 hours during the day. I'm not too sure about weekends.

I miss Create. I wish WETA used one of its 4 stations for it or the Howard University station would pick it up.

I watch MPT2 every afternoon for cooking shows, morning for Rudy Maxa. I'm so envious when I visit relatives in NOLA, Florida (Tampa area), and all of Alabama, they get the real Create.