Type keyword(s) to search

PBS: Viewers Like You. Thank You.

• Start Topic

As much as I hate pledge events, I have to admit that I'm enjoying tonight's tenors. We had The Tenors (Canadians, apparently), and Pasquale Esposito's tribute to Enrico Caruso.  I feel so ... cultured.

Does anyone remember Patrizio Buanne? He had a special on PBS a few  years ago, and then sort of disappeared. He was very good, too.

It looks like HBO is now the dominant network for Sesame Street. Makes me wonder how long it'll be before their first nude scene.

Mostly, I think it's the end of government-subsidized channels. Let the free market reign.
  • Love 1

I don't get the nine month wait.  I get wanting to hold it and have it be exclusive, but  that seems like a really long wait.

Meanwhile, if PBS isn't completely thrilled with this deal, they can show the early, early days. The show started in '68/69(?), so there are plenty of episodes to dig out and run.  Sprinkle some of the more modern episodes with classics and the kids might have fun.  By the time HBO graciously gives CTW back what's theirs, maybe kids won't notice much.  Roosevelt Franklin 2016!

"It looks like HBO is now the dominant network for Sesame Street. Makes me

wonder how long it'll be before their first nude scene."

A day in the life of Sesame Street: Sesame Street is brought to you by the

letter "W" as in "Winter is coming!" Ernie and Bert join the Night's Watch

for a series of wacky misadventures. Oscar the Grouch tells Cercei

it's okay to be grouchy but he draws the line at being conniving and incestuous.

The Count is hired by the Iron Bank to be their official counter. Danaerys

Targaryan swaps her dragons for Big Bird and Mr. Snuffleupagus. Mr. Hooper

makes an appearance on Sesame Street as one of the White Walkers.

Edited by pandora spocks
  • Love 5

A day in the life of Sesame Street: Sesame Street is brought to you by the

letter "W" as in "Winter is coming!" Ernie and Bert join the Night's Watch
for a series of wacky misadventures. Oscar the Grouch tells Cercei
it's okay to be grouchy but he draws the line at being conniving and incestuous.
The Count is hired by the Iron Bank to be their official counter. Danaerys
Targaryan swaps her dragons for Big Bird and Mr. Snuffleupagus. Mr. Hooper
makes an appearance on Sesame Street as one of the White Walkers.

What I want to know is: Who's going to be the Exposition Hooker for all those nude scenes where the characters dump info on us?

Also, I would have cast Bert & Ernie as Ser Loras and Renly, and Big Bird as Ser Gregor.

• Love 1

Sesame Street started on PBS in October 1969. My sister was in kindergarten, and I was 3 years old. Sis's teacher sent home a note from the school which highly recommended that the parents sit down with their kids to watch this show, which AFAIK was the only time in our school years where the school recommended a tv show for the students. I strongly believe that Sesame Street was one of the reasons I ended up teaching myself how to read before I got anywhere near a classroom.

• Love 5

Anyone interested in science (chemistry, in particular) will likely find Mysteries of Elements a refreshing change after those eternal pledge drives.  It comes in three, one hour episodes.  Person of Interest costar Michael Emerson lends gravitas as the host of this miniseries.  Especially compelling to me was Marie Curie and her fight for recognition of her scientific achievements.  Institutionalized sexism of the day, along with her being Polish-born in a French society, made her obstacles even more formidable. 

I always found chemistry to be as boring as watching paint dry but I'm curious enough after watching this that I'm willing to take an online course on chemistry (free, of course).  Now I will be able to understand those chemical symbols that made up actors' names on Breaking Bad reruns.

Edited by pandora spocks
  • Love 4

Mysteries of Elements is excellent. I also love another three-part series of hour-long episodes about evolution, called Your Inner Fish (then Your Inner Reptile, then Your Inner Monkey). It's hosted by Neil Shubin, a fish expert from Chicago who also teaches anatomy at medical school, and he's an excellent host, with equal parts enthusiasm and expertise, along with a high level of communication skills to teach the info in an entertaining way. He was one of the group who discovered the earliest fossil of a transitional fish-to-amphibian, complete with fins that could also function as legs.

• Love 2

Pioneers of Television aired on my station last night.  The Sci-Fi/fantasy segment dealt with Gene Roddenbury, Rod Serling, and Irwin Allen.  To me, Roddenbury and Serling revitalized the sci-fi/fantasy genre on 1960's TV.  Serling was such a visionary. His Twilight Zone still resonates with later generations.  Irwin Allen cheapened the genre by allowing Jonathan Harris/Dr. Zachary Smith to dominate the storylines on Lost In Space with his hamming it up. I always enjoyed watching Lost In Space for the love, caring, and camaraderie of the Robinsons, not the evil machinations of Dr. Smith.  Allen went on to create such cinematic gems as The Towering Inferno and The Poseidon Adventure, cheese-fests all.

Edited by pandora spocks
  • Love 1

Pioneers of Television aired on my station last night.  The Sci-Fi/fantasy segment dealt with Gene Roddenbury, Rod Serling, and Irwin Allen.  To me, Roddenbury and Serling revitalized the sci-fi/fantasy genre on 1960's TV.  Serling was such a visionary. His Twilight Zone still resonates with later generations.  Irwin Allen cheapened the genre by allowing Jonathan Harris/Dr. Zachary Smith to dominate the storylines on Lost In Space with his hamming it up. I always enjoyed watching Lost In Space for the love, caring, and camaraderie of the Robinsons, not the evil machinations of Dr. Smith.  Allen went on to create such cinematic gems as The Towering Inferno and The Poseidon Adventure, cheese-fests all.

It's been a while since I saw that Pioneers, did they mention One Step Beyond and The Outer Limits?

I happen to like Irwin Allen productions. The Poseidon Adventure is starting as I write this. They weren't cheese-fests at the time. My pet peeve with modern audiences is that they are jaded by copy after copy. I used to post at another site where someone said that Casablanca was boring and trite -- well, in 1942, it wasn't boring and it wasn't trite.  OK, rant over.

On PBS tonight, Big Blue Live about Monterey Bay was entertaining and educational. I hope it will be rerun a few times. I think it's a 3-night event, if anyone wants to check it out.

I've discovered Steven Raichlen's Project Smoke via the PBS app. We just got a smoker and I've been wanting to smoke all the things. I'm excited for a new show to give some inspiration. I'm already going to tea smoke a chicken (he did duck, but duck is hella expensive and I can get two sizable whole chickens from Sam's Club for $10).

• Love 1

Happy news for me is that I've figured out that I get WNED Buffalo in addition to WQLN in my cable package with the benefit that they have different pledge weeks and different Saturday line-ups.  The former had an all evening run of the first series of "the Bletchley Circle" last Saturday which I haven't seen since it was first broadcast - pleasant way to spend time.

I watched the 25th-anniversary-of-"The Civil War" last night, and, holy fucking shit, by the end I could recite the interstitial begging segments along with them.  Enough already!  I AGREE, it's one of the greatest achievements of long-form documentary.  Now shut up and leave me alone!

The're playing the Civil War this week, though apparently not as part of a pledge drive, or at least it's been minimal so far.  It's two episodes a night and the only break is between episodes.

But what really gets me, and is the reason why I posted, is that I can't believe it's been 25 years.  Seems like I first watched this just yesterday.

• Love 2

I've watched the show about the Queen's mother-in-law.  It was one of the reasons I was rooting for the name Alice when Will and Kate were picking out a name for their baby girl.

I've been enjoying the Civil War documentary.  I had never seen it before.  After seeing the previews for Mercy Street, I'm looking forward to that show along with the second season of Poldark.

Here in the Washington DC area we're fortunate enough to have a choice of three PBS stations, at least one of which also has addition channels, and one of those is and all British (and Australian) channel called WETA-UK. We did have WETA-Create, but they dumped Create for the UK line up, (and we have WETA-Kids. In addition to two other PBS channels.

Anyway, I hated when they got rid of Create. But I have to admit that three YEARS later the UK channel has won me over. The ONLY thing I hate is that I'm discovering all these shows that are new to me --then I look them up and find out many are DECADES old.

I saw David Soul -- yes, of Starsky and Hutch fame -- in an episode of "Dalziel & Pascoe" (who knew Soul moved to London 20 years ago, AND became a British citizen in 2004?).....anyway I looked up the episode and it's 11 YEARS old.

I DO like many of the shows I'm discovering. But some have been canceled for years. 

• Love 2

American Experience is airing a two-part documentary about Walt Disney.  It's unclear whether Disney had serious emotional issues (he did have a breakdown) or was a product of his time.   The way that he treated his employees appalled me.  Yet he earned 100X the salary of his lowest paid employees.  Compared to current CEO's earning 700X of what entry level employees do, he's a relative sweetheart.

• Love 4

The great Jacques Pepin has a new series on PBS titled Heart & Soul. He is one of my all-time favorites and it is so good to see him back. On this episode he and his wife hosted a group to play boule (akin to bocce) at their place. He didn't prepare anything too challenging and used caviar in two appetizers which is not on my grocery list, but who cares. He is a legend and I will record the entire series. His granddaughter is darling and looks like Claudine. Wife Gloria looked frail and I worry that she may have been ill recently. And of course old friend Jean Claude was there. Love me some Jacques!

• Love 1

Create has a show called A Moveable Feast and in one episode they visited with Jacques Pepin and his family.  His little granddaughter showed so much enthusiasm for cooking that I think she may be a future chef!

I don't remember seeing his wife but hope she is well.

• Love 2

"Indian Summers" seems to be a new series on Masterpiece -- maybe there is a Masterpiece thread?  I could not find one for this series.  It got good reviews, mixture of exotic locale, insular Brit culture, randy women and men, class distinctions, so, all the ingredients of their successful series.  Oh, and some lovely 1930s costumes and a 1930s white Rolls Royce that could be in the credits as far as I am concerned.

• Love 2

"Indian Summers" seems to be a new series on Masterpiece -- maybe there is a Masterpiece thread?  I could not find one for this series.  It got good reviews, mixture of exotic locale, insular Brit culture, randy women and men, class distinctions, so, all the ingredients of their successful series.  Oh, and some lovely 1930s costumes and a 1930s white Rolls Royce that could be in the credits as far as I am concerned.

I didn't see it in the REquest a Forum thread, so I started a thread in the Masterpiece thread. If it gets moved to its own forum, fine.

Currently, I couldn't find if BBC renewed it for a second series.

• Love 2

I didn't see it in the REquest a Forum thread, so I started a thread in the Masterpiece thread. If it gets moved to its own forum, fine.

Currently, I couldn't find if BBC renewed it for a second series.

Thank you!  I see the thread over in Masterpiece this morning, so it worked.  Yes, I read last night that it has been picked up for a second season.  See you over in the Masterpiece forum! 

• Love 1

Globe Trekker - Ukraine. I watched this recently and was disgusted by two segments. Not because they were gross but because they were disturbing. I hate extreme religious groups that don't allow women to share activities because it would distract the poor men. Therefore, the Hasidic men who all travelled to Ukraine bothered me. Then the host Holly stayed in a hotel where mainly American and Canadian men went to meet women. The 75 year old man was disgusting. I found the visit to Chernobyl gave me information I had never seen before even though I have watched other programs about it. It is not being adequately taken care of because there is not enough money.

• Love 1

Pets:  Wild At Heart was very fascinating.  The statement about cats being the only pet who can come and go as they please bothered me.  Dogs can also come and go as they please.  But Nature seemed to be advocating that cats should be outside when it's been proven that cats outdoors have their lifespans shortened by accidents or illness.  I would never dream of letting my cat be outside because of other cats and aggressive dogs, not to mention living close to a busy road.

• Love 7

Pets:  Wild At Heart was very fascinating.  The statement about cats being the only pet who can come and go as they please bothered me.  Dogs can also come and go as they please.  But Nature seemed to be advocating that cats should be outside when it's been proven that cats outdoors have their lifespans shortened by accidents or illness.  I would never dream of letting my cat be outside because of other cats and aggressive dogs, not to mention living close to a busy road.

My cat hates the great outdoors. When he was a kitten, I trained him to get into his carrier and to ride in cars, hoping it would be easier to bring him to the vet. I used to drive him on errands (ex. to the post office) or take him to the park. But no luck. He hates it. He'll grudgingly get into his carrier. Then when I bring him outside, he starts hissing and giving annoyed meowwwrrrrrrs. When he's in the car, he won't say anything for the first minute then the hissing starts. Eventually, he just starts meowwwing non-stop until we get home.

At the vets office, he's hissing and meowwwrrrring at everyone. He once got into a hiss-bark fight with a dog in the waiting room. :-(

Otherwise, he's a really nice cat. When my nephews came to live with us, he accepted them immediately.

Anyhow, PBS will air a Civil War drama. I requested a forum for it and it's there. I hope it's good.

• Love 1

Watching the Billy Elliot musical now on Great Performances and I'm absolutely floored by it!

Where do they find these kids!?  All those moves, all that energy, it looks like it would exhaust a grown up but Billy Elliot's actor is doing all these moves and taps and backflips with perfection.  I'm a bit envious.

I'm kind of confused. One boy played Billy in this version, but the play has 3-4 boys playing him, so as to comply with child labo(u)r laws. Does that mean the version we just watched on TV was edited together from multiple performances where one actor switched which sections he did?

As always, the censorship was stupid.

I'm kind of confused. One boy played Billy in this version, but the play has 3-4 boys playing him, so as to comply with child labo(u)r laws. Does that mean the version we just watched on TV was edited together from multiple performances where one actor switched which sections he did?

I think it may have been one kid, the others might have had slightly different sounding voices.

Nova's Animal Mummies made me sad for the animals.  I always thought the animals that were mummified were cherished pets.  Tens of millions of animal mummies have been found contradicting this.  Animals used--the majority, dog, cats, and birds--were raised in what today would be called mills. These animals were cruelly treated by the owners with the rationale that they would be dead soon enough.  Ancient Egyptians believed that animal sacrifices would insure them a place in the afterlife.  Truly heartbreaking.

• Love 3

Nova's Animal Mummies made me sad for the animals.  I always thought the animals that were mummified were cherished pets. 

Jeez! Thank you for heads up - I had that on the DVR and now know to delete. :(

Last night I watched a truly wonderful Nature episode called My Life As A Turkey. I balled my eyes out at the end, but I ball my eyes out watching Dr. K's Exotic Animal Hospital so... ymmv. Anyway, it scooped up a well-deserved Emmy and is available to watch online for anyone who missed it and loves animals. It's based on the book Illumination In The Flatwoods. I was absolutely blown away by this man's experience:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/my-life-as-a-turkey-full-episode/7378/

After a local farmer left a bowl of eggs on Joe Hutto’s front porch, his life was forever changed. Hutto, possessing a broad background in the natural sciences and an interest in imprinting young animals, incubated the eggs and waited for them to hatch. As the chicks emerged from their shells, they locked eyes with an unusual but dedicated mother. One man’s remarkable experience of raising a group of wild turkey hatchlings to adulthood.

• Love 1

Jeez! Thank you for heads up - I had that on the DVR and now know to delete. :(

Last night I watched a truly wonderful Nature episode called My Life As A Turkey. I balled my eyes out at the end, but I ball my eyes out watching Dr. K's Exotic Animal Hospital so... ymmv. Anyway, it scooped up a well-deserved Emmy and is available to watch online for anyone who missed it and loves animals. It's based on the book Illumination In The Flatwoods. I was absolutely blown away by this man's experience:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/my-life-as-a-turkey-full-episode/7378/

After a local farmer left a bowl of eggs on Joe Hutto’s front porch, his life was forever changed. Hutto, possessing a broad background in the natural sciences and an interest in imprinting young animals, incubated the eggs and waited for them to hatch. As the chicks emerged from their shells, they locked eyes with an unusual but dedicated mother. One man’s remarkable experience of raising a group of wild turkey hatchlings to adulthood.

glowlights - I LOVE My Life as a Turkey, and bawl my eyes out every time I watch it, too (it is my go to Thanksgiving tradition, as I forego the turkey dinner)!  Joe Hutto also did a stint with mule deer, which was equally fascinating.  You might want to check for it on the PBS site.

By the way, we now have a dedicated thread for Veterinary and Animal Rescue Shows in the Genre Talk forum : http://forums.previously.tv/topic/33577-veterinary-and-animal-rescue-shows/#entry1690948

Come join us!   :-)

• Love 2

walnutqueen, I was surfing around for his mule deer doc as you typed! :)  We also forego the turkey at Thanksgiving (and the rest of the year) so you have given me a wonderful idea for a new viewing tradition. Thank you for the link to the forum, see you there. :)

• Love 1

walnutqueen, I was surfing around for his mule deer doc as you typed! :)  We also forego the turkey at Thanksgiving (and the rest of the year) so you have given me a wonderful idea for a new viewing tradition. Thank you for the link to the forum, see you there. :)

Hah - coincidence, much?  Great minds work alike, and animal lovin' fools seldom differ.  :-)

• Love 1