Type keyword(s) to search

PBS: Viewers Like You. Thank You.

• Start Topic

19 minutes ago, Hyacinth B said:

Not only can the lady still SING, but she still looks absolutely stunning! If she's had any "work"done to her face, it was very subtle and if possible she looks even better than she did 50 years ago, especially with that gorgeous mane of silver hair.

And if Judy Collins or Joan Baez fans have more than one PBS channel on their system they might get lucky and catch Joan's 75th Birthday Concert special if they haven't already seen it since it's been showing up in a lot of the regular Pledge Week/Month sets. Our smaller PBS channel WYIN in NW Indiana (also available in most Chicago cable systems or with an antenna) is showing the concert twice today (Sat Sept 2) and once tomorrow under the Great Performances listings. Yes, Judy is one of the performers, along with David Bromberg, Jackson Browne, Mary Chapin Carpenter, David Crosby, Emmylou Harris, Indigo Girls, Damien Rice and others. Joanie looks damn good for mid-70s too!

Yes, Judy Collins is still gorgeous!  Thank you for the heads up on that concert special; I will try to find it.  Those folks (especially EmmyLou) are terrific!

4 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Yes, Judy Collins is still gorgeous!  Thank you for the heads up on that concert special; I will try to find it.  Those folks (especially EmmyLou) are terrific!

If you find the Baez concert on that channel there's a 90-minute Emmylou Harris concert listed right after both the Sat. Afternoon and evening broadcasts - Emmylou Harris at the Ryman, today 5:30 PM and 12:30 AM Central, and then Sunday afternoon at 3:30. Good luck!

• Love 1

OH my grits! Thank you, PBS, for the lovely show The Mind of a Chef. Beautiful, innovative, interesting food concocted by real chefs who have a thought process about eating as an art. So refreshing from the dregs of FN. This has quickly become one of my must-DVR shows.

• Love 1

I am totally hooked on Ken Burns The Vietnam War.  I would say I am enjoying it if one can enjoy something chronicling so much loss of life and destruction.  The first night of the series was showing the history of the region and that history should have taught the American powers that they could not win there.  How to back the wrong horse and totally misread history.... But the fear of Communist expansion was so great....oh well, I was shaking my head a lot while watching.  The French soldiers returning home from Vietnam to the derision of their country men provided a sadly ironic mirror to what would later happen to some American soldiers returning home.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, magdalene said:

I am totally hooked on Ken Burns The Vietnam War.  I would say I am enjoying it if one can enjoy something chronicling so much loss of life and destruction.  The first night of the series was showing the history of the region and that history should have taught the American powers that they could not win there.  How to back the wrong horse and totally misread history.... But the fear of Communist expansion was so great....oh well, I was shaking my head a lot while watching.  The French soldiers returning home from Vietnam to the derision of their country men provided a sadly ironic mirror to what would later happen to some American soldiers returning home.

Yes, it hooked me right away, too. Such a terrible time it was!  I lost many people.  It was a mistake from the start.  I'm looking forward to the next installment, is there more than 2?

• Love 1

An alert to fellow Anglophiles: I stumbled upon a series titled "Penelope Keith's Hidden Villages." I am sure Ms. Keith is an actress, but I can't replace her right now. She hops in her car and shows us the most charming, picturesque villages in the UK. In my area, it airs on Monday nights. This Monday was villages of the Cotswolds, which is a dream destination of mine. This is great geographic eye candy and a nice diversion from our evil world. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

An alert to fellow Anglophiles: I stumbled upon a series titled "Penelope Keith's Hidden Villages." I am sure Ms. Keith is an actress, but I can't replace her right now. She hops in her car and shows us the most charming, picturesque villages in the UK. In my area, it airs on Monday nights. This Monday was villages of the Cotswolds, which is a dream destination of mine. This is great geographic eye candy and a nice diversion from our evil world. 

I've been watching this series on Acorn!  I love Penelope Keith, she has been in everything!  Good Neighbors, To The Manor Born.

• Love 3
On 10/4/2017 at 2:54 PM, Spunkygal said:

On 10/4/2017 at 2:59 PM, Brattinella said:

I've been watching this series on Acorn!  I love Penelope Keith, she has been in everything!  Good Neighbors, To The Manor Born.

Sounds like my idyllic show.  I shall petition my local station, and my provider, to give me this show or to give me Acorn!

• Love 1

I just finished watching a 4 part documentary that was on my DVR titled Penguin Hospital. I really don't remember recording it but am thrilled I did and I highly recommend it. Boy, was it impressive and moving for us animal lovers! We are shown the facilities, vets, techs, and volunteers who work at SANCCOB, a South African vet hospital that rescues and rehabs marine birds. I think they have three locations but we saw the Cape Town hospital. This show mainly focused on penguins and we saw penguins with a myriad of issues....a hook down a throat, an injured flipper, injured feet, a beak that did not have the top and bottom align, dog bites, shark bites,  just too many issues to detail. They also save abandoned eggs and have a hatchery and nursery. Their mission is to help the birds and release back to the wild. Of course, some birds would not survive in the wild due to their issues, so the hospital keeps them! I thInk they had 36 resident penguins at the time of the show. What is so impressive is the lengths they go to to try to save each bird. Of course, not every situation has a happy ending but at least the bird had a peaceful ending. I was moved by the talented and caring staff and am thinking about adopting a penguin. If you are interested in learning more about this hospital, the website is https://sanccob.co.za

• Love 2

OMG! Why is there not a separate forum for Vicar of Dibley? Does no one else adore it as much as I do? Geraldine, David, Hugo, Alice, and the other lovable idiots of the village? I am watching the Christmas specials and the luncheon episode is so brilliant. I will never look at brussel sprouts the same way again. Alice going into labor during the Christmas program! Love them so much!

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, saoirse said:

Because it hasn't been requested. Here are the instructions on how to request a forum.

Thank you! I have started a couple of forums (Trader Joes and Christmas Cake Wars) but I guess what I should have said was that I am surprised I haven't seen more Vicar fans on this forum. Truthfully, I haven't gone back and read since page 1, so maybe there have been other fans. I requested the other forums mentioned above when I noticed more comments about those topics. So, Vicar fans, please speak up! 

• Love 2

@Brattinella, So so sad to learn that the actress who played Alice Tinker in The Vicar of Dibley passed away...I think she was 53. She was perfect in that role. I think this coming weekend I will have a Vicar marathon in her memory. I especially loved the jokes at the end that she was too dense to understand! ?

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

@Brattinella, So so sad to learn that the actress who played Alice Tinker in The Vicar of Dibley passed away...I think she was 53. She was perfect in that role. I think this coming weekend I will have a Vicar marathon in her memory. I especially loved the jokes at the end that she was too dense to understand! ?

Yes, she was brilliantly witty and funny!  I smile when I think of her wedding dress, too.  She will be missed greatly in this house.  Enjoy your Vicar marathon, @Spunkygal !

• Love 2

I saw the headline that the actress from Notting Hill had died but just realized she was also Alice from the Vicar of Dibley literally five minutes ago. She was a fantastic “straight man” in those jokes! I noticed from IMDB she hadn’t worked much in recent years. Anyway given how much the British press is covering this she was well-loved.

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 2

In a totally asshole move, Spectrum Cable has decided to drop the Binghamton NY PBS station from the Ithaca NY lineup. (The two are about fifty miles apart.) The people of Ithaca will continue to get the Syracuse PBS station, but I think most of them have a greater affinity for the Southern Tier region, where Binghamton sits. The Binghamton station had just hired a reporter to increase their Ithaca news coverage.

And it wasn't even about money, because PBS stations don't get carriage fees. How expensive can it be to carry content that is provided to you for free?

• Love 3

If you can catch “It’s You I Like”, the Mister Rogers retrospective and appreciation, it’s well worth your time. He was a bit slow-paced for me as a kid but as an adult, especially in these times, I’m so appreciative of his kindness and honesty. We’ll not see the likes of him again. And even if you’re not a fan, there’s great footage of a lot of great guests. Watching Tony Bennett jam with Lady Elaine is worth it.

• Love 4
On 3/9/2018 at 12:43 PM, Brattinella said:

It is not on my guide, who is broadcasting it?

In my area it's PBS WLIW. They just showed season one and are now doing season 2. Show is good. 

2 hours ago, novhappy said:

In my area it's PBS WLIW. They just showed season one and are now doing season 2. Show is good. 

Thanks!  They are still in fund-raising mode on PBS here, so I will have to wait a week or so.

On 3/11/2018 at 9:39 PM, Mumbles said:

If you can catch “It’s You I Like”, the Mister Rogers retrospective and appreciation, it’s well worth your time. He was a bit slow-paced for me as a kid but as an adult, especially in these times, I’m so appreciative of his kindness and honesty. We’ll not see the likes of him again. And even if you’re not a fan, there’s great footage of a lot of great guests. Watching Tony Bennett jam with Lady Elaine is worth it.

Not to mention that, for all his awkwardness, he genuinely DID care about what messages he (and others) were presenting to children! I'm thankful he got spared seeing what television has become and how indifferent so many folks in the industry are to impressionable viewers! On somewhat lighter notes, I have to give him credit for composing so many songs despite being a barely adequate singer and,as was shown, a bit of a fail as a dancer but he was not afraid to look goofy to show that it's okay to not have perfect rhythm (and why Tony Bennett didn't make the title song of this documentary into a runaway hit, I'll never understand). Oh, and on a final note I never got why he'd change into the casual sweater and canvas shoes  from a suit and formal shoes when he'd enter the house and change back when he'd leave. I mean, he never alluded to having any kind of other job and seemed to keep the casual attire on even when he'd  go on field trips!

• Love 3

why Tony Bennett didn't make the title song of this documentary into a runaway hit, I'll never understand

His rendition was so good! And it's a sentiment often expressed in song (Bruno Mars and Billy Joel's different "Just the Way You Are"s).

One thing I did learn was that Rogers had majored in music compositon, which explains the great songs.

I'm thankful he got spared seeing what television has become and how indifferent so many folks in the industry are to impressionable viewers! 

I heard a replay of an interview he did on Fresh Air and he told Terry Gross he was disgusted when he first got a TV and saw people throwing pies at each other.  I can only imagine if he were around and saw "Toddlers and Tiaras" or "Dance Moms", he would fly into a rage or burst into tears or both, given how poorly those shows treat children.

I think at the time, this show had limited appeal to me because as a kid I found it kind of humorless, esp compared to livelier fare like Sesame Street or the Electric Company. But looking at clips now, there was a gentle, quiet humor to the show. Especially in the Land of Make Believe. Lady Elaine was pretty cool.

• Love 3

I think the local PBS is wrapping up Pledge Drive tonight or this weekend, won't be sorry, but this one did have lots of good music programs I really enjoyed, I love DooWop and one of the many DooWop specials was Generations, it was so nice to know that even though the singers of my generation are dying off, there are new kids coming up that love the music and love singing it. Also watched the Everly Brothers Harmonies From Heaven 3 times. I grew up with their music and loved them so much. I was more of a British Invasion age, but I love the older music. It was interesting to see Keith Richards commenting what an influence the Everlys had on the Rolling Stones, who'd thunk it? 

• Love 2

Does anyone else watch Lidia's Kitchen? I loved today's episode. Her mother, "Grandma," was on today and as usual, she was so chatty and even sang. She is 96 and so beautiful and charming. This show is so much more educational and interesting than 95% of the other cooking shows, IMHO. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, magdalene said:

I saw that PBS will air the wedding of Prince Harry and Miss Markle.

Well dang. I'm going to be on the Queen Mary 2 crossing the pond. They have all the major news channels on the TVs including BBC in the cabins, so I'm guessing I can still watch.

Oh good grief. They're spending a whole WEEK of covering this thing.

http://www.pbs.org/about/blogs/news/join-pbs-for-royal-wedding-watch-a-special-nightly-series-on-the-marriage-of-prince-henry-of-wales-and-american-rachel-meghan-markle/

I'm actually disappointed in PBS for wasting money on this. Yeah I admit that I'll probably watch a little of the wedding out of curiosity but come on, he's now sixth in line of an obsolete job in another country. The only hook is that the bride is American. Great. So was Wallis Simpson.

I'd rather see more Frontlines or American Experiences or NOVAs or Great Performances than this.

• Love 4

Looking forward to Little Women on Masterpiece beginning Sunday. Among the cast are Emily Watson, Angela Lansbury, Michael Gambon, Dylan Baker. I don't know how many episodes are in the series. 

• Love 2
On 5/8/2018 at 4:37 PM, Mumbles said:

Oh good grief. They're spending a whole WEEK of covering this thing.

http://www.pbs.org/about/blogs/news/join-pbs-for-royal-wedding-watch-a-special-nightly-series-on-the-marriage-of-prince-henry-of-wales-and-american-rachel-meghan-markle/

I'm actually disappointed in PBS for wasting money on this. Yeah I admit that I'll probably watch a little of the wedding out of curiosity but come on, he's now sixth in line of an obsolete job in another country. The only hook is that the bride is American. Great. So was Wallis Simpson.

I'd rather see more Frontlines or American Experiences or NOVAs or Great Performances than this.

I will not be watching a single second of this.  I loved the Diana/Charles wedding, though.  And WHY are they referring to her as an American Princess?  She won't be a princess until and only when all the the other ladies are gone, AND the actual princes.

• Love 3

I just came across Upstart Crow:

Comedy about William Shakespeare as he starts to make a name for himself in London while also trying to be a good husband and father for his family in Stratford-upon-Avon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0959g26

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upstart_Crow

The writer is Ben Elton, who also wrote for the Blackadder series.

Upstart Crow had me laughing out loud. It's already the third series. I have to see if I can find the first two now. 

• Love 4

I had high hopes for Little Women but only lasted a half hour.

Give me June Allyson, Elizabeth Taylor and Janet Leigh.  The only movie version I love and can watch over and over again. 

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, stormy said:

I had high hopes for Little Women but only lasted a half hour.

Give me June Allyson, Elizabeth Taylor and Janet Leigh.  The only movie version I love and can watch over and over again. 

I managed to get through the episode but it was tough.  I won't be watching anymore.  Plus, Angela Lansbury is no Maggie Smith when it comes to portraying old dowager hens. 

• Love 2

Maybe it was just my local station but on the DVR it said that PBS would broadcast live 5 hours of the wedding of Prince Harry very early Saturday morning. Instead, we got the PBS's regularly scheduled Saturday morning programs of  This Old House  ,  Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood , etc. Luckily, I only found out after I attempted to watch the taped 'live BBC coverage' when I was awake but there was no scroll of 'Due to Technical Difficulties. . .'.  Anyway, if PBS themselves pulled this stunt. BOO!

We were on the Queen Mary 2 day of the wedding, and 1 BBC plus other channels had the wedding live, then BBC ran reruns, not just for hours, but for days! We had a special dinner in honor of the Royal wedding, everyone was given champagne, and the Captain of the ship came to the dining room and asked everyone to rise an toast the Royal couple. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, chessiegal said:

We were on the Queen Mary 2 day of the wedding, and 1 BBC plus other channels had the wedding live, then BBC ran reruns, not just for hours, but for days! We had a special dinner in honor of the Royal wedding, everyone was given champagne, and the Captain of the ship came to the dining room and asked everyone to rise an toast the Royal couple. 

That's nice but that was NOT on PBS which DID say it would show the event via BBC live but did not (at least in my city).