Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E15: Fire

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I thought the subplot with Melissa wanting to be a firefighter went on too long.

TBF, so did her class. 

My favorite cookie line was Gregory just saying, "Those look alive."

I admit I googled to research his line about learning about lice infestation for white teachers. LOL.

• Like 5

I love Melissa but agree that the firefighter part went on too long. 

I'm still confused about how Gregory sees Janine. In this episode, his comments did not indicate a romantic view at all. 

How can Ava still be the Principal if she is on video leaving during an emergency and then admits going to a spa???

• Like 9
  • Useful 2
12 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

TBF, so did her class. 

My favorite cookie line was Gregory just saying, "Those look alive."

I admit I googled to research his line about learning about lice infestation for white teachers. LOL.

What does TBF mean?

• Like 2
10 hours ago, LisaM said:

How can Ava still be the Principal if she is on video leaving during an emergency and then admits going to a spa???

In real life, she'd be reported and removed from her position.  It's a problem with the character.  She has moments where you can see glimpses of a good educator, but they also keep upping her outrageous behavior.  At some point, it's no longer plausible that she'd be able to stay in her job.   

I think the show wanted to portray Barbara as a martyr there but a teacher taking days off to go on vacation gave me the opposite impression. 

My impression was more that they wanted to show that Barbara rarely puts herself first. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
22 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I have a degree in Social Work and I hate the refuse to talk to a therapist plotline. What was the harm in talking to the counselor? Ava wasn't going to fire anyone. I thought the subplot with Melissa wanting to be a firefighter went on too long.

But in real life, a LOT of people don't want to talk to a therapist. They believe it makes them weak, or incapable, or something else negative. Some people just don't feel comfortable talking to strangers. Its not just some crazy idea sitcom writers invented. It's a very real part of many people's lives.  I like that someone so strong and together was ultimately willing to talk to the therapist and that it did not diminish her at all.

Edited by Ailianna
  • Like 7
  • Applause 1
On 2/16/2023 at 6:21 AM, Empress1 said:

“Are you sure you don’t mean Janine?” as he holds his hand two feet off the ground. DEAD.

I snort laughed when he did that. Oh, our little Janine.

Though this episode had it's funny moments, I appreciated its focus on mental health. People who look the strongest are often dealing with some really heavy stuff like Barbara and her husband's health issues. Barbara is often the rock, but she needs her own rock. I love her friendship with Melissa, and I'm glad Barbara took some "me time." 

But just when we think Ava is growing as a person, she high tails it of the school during the fire and goes to a spa. 

image.png.b1a615490e2774acaedf33be5c464802.png

Edited by Bookish Jen
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
On 2/15/2023 at 9:27 PM, Crashcourse said:

It was nice to see a room full of the other teachers, even if it was brief.

That last kid Barbara was talking to was adorable.

I hate candles.

Oh, and Ava should be fired for running off.  Immediately.

definitely

• Like 2

What determines how flammable a kid is, lol?

Mr. Johnson is the single most well-adjusted person the trauma counselor had ever met? She must encounter some real doozies because IMO he seems to move in and out of an alternate timeline.

Barbara wearing the flame-singed shawl. Guess with cashmere she has to get her money's worth.

Melissa said "C-I-A" is the three leading causes of fires. Where is the lie tho? 😉

A 57-step recipe. Oy, I wouldn't eat those cookies on a bet. They sounded like a science experiment to me.

Mary J Blige levels of "just fine." So, not exactly okay but being loud in several octaves about it.

Ava said Janine had a round face like the Teletubbies Sun Baby. She is undefeated in the tossing out random references game.

Yeah, that last dress Janine had on was actually rather "normal." I'd wear it in a different color. (According to Worn on TV the dress is from Target and it's sold out.)

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

(According to Worn on TV the dress is from Target and it's sold out.)

Nice touch to have her in something she could afford on a teacher’s salary. Sometimes shows have broke people in $400 shirts (Insecure sometimes did this with Issa).

• Like 7
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

i like this show a lot, but it's not very funny sometimes. A few jokes, sure. But not, overall, primarily hilarious.

This FIRE episode was a bit more serious than their usual episodes, but there was still lots of humor.   

Humor doesn't necessarily translate to hilarious.  This is a modern sit-com, not a stand-up routine.  Or Green Acres.  

• Like 8

I still like this show, but I miss out on some of the humor because sometimes it just goes by so fast--the quips, the side glances, and fast talker Ava.  Also, since I'm not from Philly I miss a lot of the Philly references, so I come here to understand them.  

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, mrsbagnet said:

I didn't understand that line. What was the joke supposed to be?

I didn't get it either at first! Black people get head lice much less frequently than white people, perhaps because lice cling more easily to straight hair.

So Gregory was saying that just like older teachers would be more concerned with Facebook going down because they're the ones who use Facebook, white teachers would need to know more about lice, because white people are the ones who are going to be dealing with lice outbreaks.

Edited by sistermagpie
  • Like 1
  • Useful 4
13 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

I didn't get it either at first! Black people get head lice much less frequently than white people, perhaps because lice cling more easily to straight hair.

So Gregory was saying that just like older teachers would be more concerned with Facebook going down because they're the ones who use Facebook, white teachers would need to know more about lice, because white people are the ones who are going to be dealing with lice outbreaks.

Thanks for the explanation.  This was another example of me not understanding some of the humor and coming here to get clarification.   

• Like 4
On 2/16/2023 at 12:38 PM, Crashcourse said:

Sometimes Gregory looks at Janine like she's his adorable little sister and I don't get any chemistry between them at all. 

I didn't think Interim Principal Eddie had chemistry with anybody during this episode because he was too puffed up on his own self-importance. He was kind of insufferable.

• Like 5
  • LOL 3
31 minutes ago, LydiaMoon1 said:

I didn't think Interim Principal Eddie had chemistry with anybody during this episode because he was too puffed up on his own self-importance. He was kind of insufferable.

Yeah, he was kind of smelling himself, but I think he meant well and he's a follow the rules kind of guy.  I'd still take him as principal over selfish Ava who ran out on her kids.

• Like 10
46 minutes ago, LydiaMoon1 said:

I think he was just trying to show what a real principal would do, not some useless self-obsessed person like Ava, who cared not a whit about the kids

• Like 5

Hey, the firefighter captain was played by Mike O'Malley, aka Kurt's dad Burt on Glee! He's aging very nicely.

Gregory is definitely positioning himself to step into Ava's job, and certainly he would do a better job at it. I do wonder if he's realized though that if he becomes principal, he would not be able to date Amber anymore and he would not be able to date Janine. So it feels a bit like the show lining up its next way to keep Gregory and Janine from being together.

The montage of the counselor meeting with each of the teachers was quite funny.

• Like 5

It's good that someone stepped up the way that Gregory did (and he's a million times better than Ava), but he came across like he was on a big ego trip.

It didn't bother me, though. I thought it was hilarious.

All of the other characters are prone to arrogance/self-importance. (Ava's defined by it. Barbara and Melissa both see themselves as authorities on a lot of things. Mr. Johnson thinks he's the only one smart enough to see conspiracies everywhere. Janine constantly thinks she knows better than the more experienced teachers, and even Jacob will insist on having his way when he shouldn't - like in the podcasting episode.) I see no harm in Gregory joining the club.

• Like 11

I saw the episode writer was Ava Coleman. I liked Janet the counselor and her refusal of the carrot cookies because it's late morning and the container's still full. My favorite part of the Melissa crazy over firefighting was her initial denial when the accusations flew because it was such a contrast to her usual "it fell off a truck" type of joke, which then matched up with her one uncle the firefighter and the other setting fires. 

• Like 5
21 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

Also, oil based styling products tend to smother them. 

One benefit of teaching in schools like Abbott-lice were a non-issue. But when I started teaching at the University lab school....I cut my stick straight white girl hair real quick!

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
21 hours ago, LydiaMoon1 said:

This is one of the things I love about this show -- there are no Mary Sues or Gary Sues. Gregory is fine, and usually kind, but he's  rigid and often careerist. And I think it's a great observation that when Gregory is at his best, he's more vulnerable and open to his feelings for someone like Janine. But this episode, he fell into careerist, competitive future principal mode, and there was no room for anyone else. 

• Like 7
On 2/15/2023 at 10:50 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

All episode I was wondering where I know that guest actor from.  I was pretty sure that it's Shalita Grant from "You" Season 3.

Google'd:

https://www.tvinsider.com/1081573/masked-singer-abbott-elementary-full-swing-african-queens/

I found Barbara refusing to feel guilt over potentially putting those kids in danger weird, and a little creepy.

I wouldn't say Barbara didn't feel guilty. She owned up to her mistake and said she took full responsibility. But she didn't want to talk about it. 

On 2/16/2023 at 11:28 AM, Corgi-ears said:

The one thing I didn't like was the whole "I already put your name on the form" bit. The only reason for the counsellor to do that, and to tell Barbara that, was to prove that she was right and knew all along that Barbara would benefit from a day off. A good counsellor wouldn't privilege this kind of I-told-you-so gesture over just helping Barbara.

It's not the best in a real life counseling session. But the context seemed to be the counselor breaking down Barbara's wall by showing that she is someone you can talk to and trust. 

On 2/16/2023 at 12:15 PM, Phebemarie said:

I wonder if the writers (or maybe the directors) are not all on the same page regarding Ava's character growth.   It would have been in character for Ava to nervously hurry the kids out of the building and then spend the rest of the day taking a spa day once the kids were safe.  

Maybe Janelle James wasn't available for some reason during filming of this episode, and they had to write Ava out of most of the show.  

I think the inconsistency is the thing that doesn't work (for me at least).  

I thought it was terrible that Ava wasn't there but her disappearing during a dangerous event makes sense for her character, even if she took an interest in learning and academics in the last episode. She has a whole doomsday magazine subscription and bunker and is known to "back her tasty ass up."

On 2/16/2023 at 2:56 PM, tennisgurl said:

I would think that Barbara would know better than to light a candle in school, and that she would be pretty quick to take responsibility, but she wasn't exactly on her game. She was so stressed about her husband and so upset about what she could have done, she just could not deal with anything and went hard into "I'm so totally fine" denial mode. It can be so hard to admit that you need help, especially if you have a reputation as being together. Barbara telling that cute kid at the end that its ok to be scared and that even she's scared sometimes, was such a great way to end her plot. Its ok not to be ok and to take care of yourself. 

Barbara took responsibility right away. But I agree that it's odd for her to light a candle in school. I get it was needed for the plot and they didn't want to show it being directly related to the kids so it needed to be something done in the teachers' lounge. It didn't make much sense to me but I really loved this episode for so many other reasons that it didn't matter. That little boy in Barbara's class just melted my heart. 

On 2/17/2023 at 8:39 PM, Ailianna said:

But in real life, a LOT of people don't want to talk to a therapist. They believe it makes them weak, or incapable, or something else negative. Some people just don't feel comfortable talking to strangers. Its not just some crazy idea sitcom writers invented. It's a very real part of many people's lives.  I like that someone so strong and together was ultimately willing to talk to the therapist and that it did not diminish her at all.

It's quite common for people to shun therapy or to say they're OK with it for other people they see as troubled but not thinking of themselves as someone who would need therapy. And it's also common for people not to trust professionals hired by their employer.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Barbara's husband on was on an episode last season.  He came by and they had lunch in her classroom.  He was played by Richard Brooks (or as I will forever think of him as Paul Robinette)

A few days ago, I saw a 1990 movie called To Sleep With Anger, and Richard Brooks played Sheryl Lee Ralph's husband. 

I'd love to see Barbara's husband again, just like Zack shows up occasionally for Jacob.  I'd also like to see Melissa's vending machine guy again.  Also, does Mr. Johnson have a wife?

• Like 3
On 2/21/2023 at 4:26 PM, Crashcourse said:

A few days ago, I saw a 1990 movie called To Sleep With Anger, and Richard Brooks played Sheryl Lee Ralph's husband. 

Ooh I tried watching that on TCM last week. It seemed creepy. Should I stick it out?  IMDB discussions call Danny Glover the devil.  Taking discussion to TCM thread. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 1
On 2/20/2023 at 11:27 PM, SilverLake0315 said:

I really and truly wish Janelle James would Slow. Down. when delivering her lines. 

Oh my god yes.  

On 2/21/2023 at 4:26 PM, Crashcourse said:

I saw that too.  I also know Richard Brooks from "Being Mary Jane".

Sheryl Lee Ralph has had a crazy career.  I was flipping channels, and she was also in "The Flintstones" movie.  I couldn't bear to keep watching it though.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

What does protecting her peace mean in this context, LOL.  Like getting out of a situation where there's noise?

I think she meant any situation where there is danger and she could get hurt or have to experience something unpleasant.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
On 2/16/2023 at 2:56 PM, tennisgurl said:

"Get the most flammable kids out first!" So many great lines in this one, I almost feel like I need to take notes, there are just so many great lines and expressions being tossed out left and right. This one was a bit more somber, with everything that was happening with Barbara, but it was still hilarious as always. I really liked getting some more of Melissa's family history, they have spent generations starting and fighting fires! I wonder if, as much as she loves being a teacher, she ever feels regret that she never got to be a firefighter? 

I would think that Barbara would know better than to light a candle in school, and that she would be pretty quick to take responsibility, but she wasn't exactly on her game. She was so stressed about her husband and so upset about what she could have done, she just could not deal with anything and went hard into "I'm so totally fine" denial mode. It can be so hard to admit that you need help, especially if you have a reputation as being together. Barbara telling that cute kid at the end that its ok to be scared and that even she's scared sometimes, was such a great way to end her plot. Its ok not to be ok and to take care of yourself. 

Gregory really had that principle blazer ready to go at a moments notice! Its like his own fire extinguisher, break in case of being an emergency interim principle.

I'm not surprised at all that Mr. Johnson is the most well adjusted person the counselor has met. I really liked the counselor, I hope that we see her again.  

Principal (not ple) because "He's your pal!"  Or, these days, "She's your pal!"  And yes, I am a Grammar Girl.  Sorry.  I can't help myself.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

Principal (not ple) because "He's your pal!"  Or, these days, "She's your pal!"  And yes, I am a Grammar Girl.  Sorry.  I can't help myself.

Yes, I remember being taught "He's your pal!" in elementary school.  😉

• Like 3
On 2/16/2023 at 9:54 AM, marceline said:

That's why I was so disappointed in Ava. We've seen that for all her shenanigans she really does want school to be a safe place for the kids so the idea that she would leave them dealing with a burning building didn't feel funny.

That’s exactly why I felt it was so out of character for her to just bale like that.  She’s obnoxious and full of herself, but she does care about the kids.  I could see her hauling a couple out under her arms and then complaining about her back to get workman’s comp or something, but not just outright leaving.

On 2/16/2023 at 1:56 PM, tennisgurl said:

Barbara telling that cute kid at the end that its ok to be scared and that even she's scared sometimes, was such a great way to end her plot. Its ok not to be ok and to take care of yourself. 

The best part of the episode for me.  Also, I think Barbara DID feel guilty, she was just stressed and didn’t know how to process it all.  I love her friendship with Melissa too.

On 2/16/2023 at 1:56 PM, tennisgurl said:

I'm not surprised at all that Mr. Johnson is the most well adjusted person the counselor has met. I really liked the counselor, I hope that we see her again.  

Yep, MJ definitely knows what’s up.  The counselor really had everyone pegged, although she didn’t really have the personality I could see kids opening up to.

• Like 1