Type keyword(s) to search

Mac & Cheez On The TeeVeez: Comfort Television

4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

But Larry was already a known star. He was Major Tony Nelson on I Dream of Jeannie.

So not an unknown who would become famous later. I remember it was hard for me to see him as the Original Magnificent Bastard on Dallas because I was watching him as Tony during the day!

True-- however, I deemed him the up-and-comer because he had had only one hit show to his credit (that of course being Jeannie), and this was before he would have the second series he would be known for (that being O-R Dallas).

• Love 2
16 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

But Larry was already a known star. He was Major Tony Nelson on I Dream of Jeannie.

So not an unknown who would become famous later. I remember it was hard for me to see him as the Original Magnificent Bastard on Dallas because I was watching him as Tony during the day!

I had the opposite problem having saw him first on Dallas and then watched I Dream of Jeannie. It was really hard to see him as a nice guy and not the Original Magnificent Bastard backstabbing everyone.  

• Love 6

For me it's The Andy Griffith Show (starring Andy Griffith!).  It's black and white and I think that's part of the appeal.  Simpler times,  Simpler problems.  Small town.  People living by the golden rule.  I know bad things happened during that time but those bad things weren't being SHOVED INTO MY FACE like what we see on many contemporary shows.

Also, Mr. McBeevee!

Edited because I don't like episodes featuring the Darlings and I don't like episodes featuring Ernest T. Bass.

Edited by Oosala
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, xaxat said:

Original flavor Law and Order

When my extended family gathers for holidays/funerals/reunions that's the show we watch together. 

I can't watch that, but mum used to watch SVU, over and over. 

We used to watch Gilmore Girls, and The Closer, together. Things like that. I miss her so much. I've wanted to watch The Closer on Amazon, but haven't yet. I watched Dead Like Me after she died, and over the recent Thanksgiving holiday. We watched that for the first time together, too. 

• Love 6

This time of year I live for Hallmark. They started Christmas at the end of October. None of them are very good but I've seen them so many times I can go right to sleep. Off season it's Original Receipt  Roseanne 1-5. I've had season 5 disk 2 in my DVD player for 3 years.

Comfort time? Mostly 70's and 80's. I just got the box set of the anniversary of 'Cagney and Lacey.' 

Edited by FairyDusted
  • Love 4

Golden Girls never falls me.  Even the worst episodes have some good jokes.  I just love those girls and don’t hate any of their clothes.  Not even Dorothy.   Ok maybe Dorothy’s wedding dress.  

• Love 3

If you're sick, having a bad day, want a feel-good distraction for whatever reason, what do you watch?

It's The Office for me. No screaming fights, heartbreaking drama, or OTT glamorous lifestyles that makes me feel bad about my own life. Just somewhat regular characters in regular life who make me laugh and forget my own problems. 

• Like 4

Early seasons of Great British Bake Off (with Mel and Sue and the lovely Mary Berry) if I want something warm and inviting that I don't need to focus on. 

The Good Place, US Ghosts, UK Coupling if I'm looking to just have a really good laugh with "old friends". 

Remember WENN just any time I want to go back to a simpler time. 

MASH if I'm looking to both have a good laugh and a good cry. 

The Addams Family (the 60s sitcom) just whenever I want to see what a perfect family looks like. 

• Like 4

For me it's sitcoms all the way.  Everybody Loves Raymond, Big Bang Theory and Third Rock from the Sun are my more recent go to's.  Although I guess recent is a relative term!  I also love vintage sitcoms like The Dick Van Dyke Show The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Family Ties.  Another comfort show is the Britcom Keeping Up Appearances.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Pretty much any renovation show on HGTV or Magnolia.  (Except Love it or List it and anything with the Property Brothers.  I can't stand them.)  

Hello, you sound like me.

I also watch depending on the season NCIS. 

• Like 2

It depends, but there are a variety of shows that I find soothing/comforting:

Cheers — Mainly the first two seasons. Really, though, I just need to hear the theme song. It’s one I got into as a teen (Rebecca years) and then rediscovered in adulthood, when I realized that I actually preferred Diane.

Friends — I watched it religiously in its original run as I was preparing for my own adult life. It reminds me of that more innocent time, when anything was possible and I didn’t really know what the world is like.

Murder, She Wrote — No worries. Jessica will solve it all. Another childhood favorite.

America’s Test Kitchen — Or almost any cooking/baking show, really. Soothing and educational at the same time.

Bob Ross — Need I say more? Happy memories of Saturday morning hanging with my dad, hypnotized. Until he would add one more happy tree or rock that would set us both off “See?! Now he ruined it!”

• Like 3

Eureka - I do a full re-watch every couple/three  years

Leverage - ditto

Lovesick - cute little British rom com that runs 3 seasons on Netflix. The Friend group is great

Firefly - yeah, it's Joss Whedon ... but my love for Gina Torres is a fearsome thing

9-1-1 - Still on air, but the early seasons are really easy to consume between seasons

Legends of Tomorrow - but only really seasons 2 and 3. 

Midnight, Texas - Season 1

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, AgathaC said:

Cheers — Mainly the first two seasons. Really, though, I just need to hear the theme song. It’s one I got into as a teen (Rebecca years) and then rediscovered in adulthood, when I realized that I actually preferred Diane.

The show stayed good through both the Diane and Rebecca years but I too prefer the Diane years. 

58 minutes ago, AgathaC said:

Murder, She Wrote — No worries. Jessica will solve it all. Another childhood favorite.

In the years before DVD's and streaming if I was flipping through channels and MSW was on I would always stop and if it was a Cabot Cove episode I would most likely keep watching. 

• Like 3

Parks and Rec (always makes me happy - a rewatch never fails to put a smile on my face)

A few classics that I watched as a teen and still make me happy now

Mary Tyler Moore Show, Rhoda, and Bewitched

Buffy (Joss Whedon can suck it, but I love me some SMG) 

and Ringer - yeah, it’s one season, but it’s soapy goodness was just wonderful 

• Like 3

This will sound odd because it's about serial killers, but Criminal Minds (the network seasons-the new season is too graphic). I just like all of the characters and their dynamic.

Some episodes of Frasier, Designing Women and M*A*S*H.

• Like 3

Once upon a time I would have put The Cosby Show on this list.  Aside from all else that Cosby is guilty of (more seriously of course) he also robbed me of a favourite show that I really enjoyed watching.  

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

This will sound odd because it's about serial killers, but Criminal Minds (the network seasons-the new season is too graphic). I just like all of the characters and their dynamic.

Similarly, while it's about homicides, Major Crimes is comfort TV to me, because it's one of the few cop shows that doesn't normalize or celebrate police misconduct.  The squad is run by a woman (played by the incomparable Mary McDonnell, another reason I find it comforting -- she could read me the phone book and I'd feel better) who spent most of her career in Internal Affairs, so she makes them do it right, and accept that if they can't get a confession/conviction legally, they just don't get one.  And, best yet, the characters acknowledge she, in doing this, made them better cops.  It's a frakkin' unicorn among cop shows, so not only is it one of the few I watch, I'll watch it a lot.

Other possibilities: Designing Women, Grace and Frankie, AbFab, Any Day Now, Moonlighting, Remington Steele, or even pull out some of my old tapes (yep, tapes; I swear I will transfer them to DVD at some point before I die) of my favorite Guiding Light storylines of the late '80s/early '90s.

Oops -- I could have sworn there was already a thread for this, but couldn't find one; turns out, I just didn't look far enough.  There is.  I'll ask a mod to merge them.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Domestic Assassin said:

30 Rock, Bob's Burgers, Raising Hope

Can I sit next to you? You just named three of my favorites!  I'll add Happy Endings, Parks and Recs and Better Off Ted.

Edited by QueerGirrl
  • Like 2
  • Love 1