Type keyword(s) to search

Milestone Moments: All The Celebrity Vitals

• Start Topic

I know the "all connected in the great circle of life" is the goal of that scene, and it's beautiful, and his voice is so majestic and yet warm and caring.  But right now, it hurts hearing him say, "one day the sun will set on my time here." Because 93 years is a good long life, but I'm still sad that the sun set on his time here. 

Each year, we note so many celeb deaths in this thread. And each year, two or three are really painful ones, because they're people who've just contributed to our world and culture in a way that we feel more than the rest. Mr. Jones is one of those. At the end of the year, he'll be the one that I'll think that of. It's the next day, and I'm still kind of teary-eyed seeing the tributes and hearing his voice.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 10
(edited)

One of the all time great talents (and voices) is gone forever. James Earl Jones's voice was so haunting, memorable and (forgive the cliche) iconic, it's hard to believe he struggled with a stutter in his youth.

What I loved about Jones was that he really was an "actor's actor". I normally don't like that expression, but when you think about it, he was. Jones really did have a passion and respect for his craft, and stardom never seemed to be his MO. He could headline a movie (The Great White Hope) or a play (Fences), but he was able to leave indelible impressions playing supporting or even character parts. He once played a blind nursing home resident in an episode of Frasier, and it's easily one of my favorite episodes of the series.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Like 11
  • Love 2

James Earl Jones elevated the status of any movie/show etc. he was a part of. So many great performances have already been mentioned. One of my favorites was essentially a cameo in Sneakers. The team led by Robert Redford and Sidney Poitier make a phone call to government agency and the voice that answered, you just knew was James Earl Jones, and then he shows up at the end and he was great. This one really hurts.

• Sad 11
33 minutes ago, jah1986 said:

James Earl Jones elevated the status of any movie/show etc. he was a part of. So many great performances have already been mentioned. One of my favorites was essentially a cameo in Sneakers. The team led by Robert Redford and Sidney Poitier make a phone call to government agency and the voice that answered, you just knew was James Earl Jones, and then he shows up at the end and he was great. This one really hurts.

I love that movie and the ending and JEJ's hilarious reaction to each of  the team's "special requests" especially River Phoenix's!

• Like 8
(edited)

I loved Cassaday's art. So cinematic and epic. My favorite was the Astonishing X-Men series written by Joss Whedon in the 2000s. Also love his work on Image Comics' Planetary written by Warren Ellis and the new Star Wars comics by Marvel.  

StarwarsComic.thumb.jpeg.8dbd63fa33a8f2c9d7b596a3cfd3199c.jpeg

Edited by Fool to cry
  • Sad 10

One of my favorites was essentially a cameo in Sneakers

That movie is very underrated.

I loved Cassaday's art.

The guy could be slow as fuck at times but damn his art always looked gorgeous when it came out. May he Rest in Peace.

• Like 4
17 hours ago, Fool to cry said:

Before I saw Star Wars I first knew James Earl Jones as the chief of "Mathnet" on Square One TV. RIP.

s56crrx1xl821.png.2d8fef9167516a4183065d19b988834c.png

Oh my God! You just unlocked a memory vault I forgot was there!

Like for everyone, James Earl Jones was part of the fabric of my pop culture life. His speech about baseball gives me chills every time and often makes me teary.

• Like 7
8 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

He once played a blind nursing home resident in an episode of Frasier, and it's easily one of my favorite episodes of the series.

Yes! Good episode, that - his character's fond reminiscing about his wife and her face is so sweet, he really makes you connect with this character who's only in a few scenes of the episode. 

I also remember him being in a "Will & Grace" episode once - I think he was part of Jack's acting class? Or in an acting class that Jack was also in? He was supposed to pretend to be a character carrying a purse or something, and I just remember him being really funny in that episode. 

That shot of the Empire State Building is very cool. What an awesome tribute. 

• Like 7
21 hours ago, Fool to cry said:

Before I saw Star Wars I first knew James Earl Jones as the chief of "Mathnet" on Square One TV. RIP.

OMG I remember, vaguely, Mathnet. I didn't realize James Earl Jones was in it though. Wow

• Like 5
(edited)
11 hours ago, Dr.OO7 said:

Someone posted footage of JEJ SPEAKING the National Anthem at the 1993 All Star Game.

Magnificent doesn't begin to describe it.

I saw this earlier today. I never knew this existed. So impressive (most impressive).

When James Earl Jones can just say something better than many people can sing...

Edited by WritinMan
  • Like 9
(edited)

My second favorite Big Bang Theory is when Sheldon meets James Earl Jones. Sheldon stops in front of hs table in the restaurant and is so excited he can't even speak. Which is exactly how I'd react if I saw James Earl Jones.

James Earl Jones: [looks up from his menu to see Sheldon standing there] Let me guess: you like Star Wars.

Sheldon Cooper: [nods]

James Earl Jones: You know I've been in other movies.

Sheldon Cooper: [nods again]

James Earl Jones: But you don't care about those, do you?

Sheldon Cooper: [shakes his head]

James Earl Jones: [motions Sheldon closer] I have one thing to say to people like you: I like Star Wars too! Care to join me?

I do love all his other movies. But Star Wars is in a different catagory.

I would hope he's love it too. I always wonder with actors and actresses how they feel about being approached by fans of their older movies they were in instead of the current ones. I know Harrison Ford used to get tired of being recognized as Han Solo. I don't know if he still does. I get it because he's been in a lot of really good movies too. But Han Solo!

They spend the rest of the night together going to a strip club, Santa Monica Ferris Wheel, and ring the doorbell at Carrie Fisher's house and run off. Apparently James does that a lot to Carrie. She opens the door with a bat and telling it's not funny anymore.

I wish to do all that with James Earl Jones too. Although I'd risk being a hit by a bat to talk to Carrie Fisher. I mean, it's Carrie Fisher.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Like 11
10 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I also remember him being in a "Will & Grace" episode once - I think he was part of Jack's acting class? Or in an acting class that Jack was also in? He was supposed to pretend to be a character carrying a purse or something, and I just remember him being really funny in that episode. 

I think he and Jack were supposed to be in a play together? Then Jack and/or Karen tried to get him to change his voice because they thought it was wrong for an actor or something like that, and got him to talk in a high, squeaky voice.  I think he ignored their "advice" in the end and got the acclaim for the play.  It was very funny.

• Like 5

Voice actor Peter Renaday, best known for his role in the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles TV series, has died aged 89.

Renaday had a hugely successful career that spanned more than six decades, playing roles in nearly 200 films and TV shows.

He voiced characters in Disney animated films in the 1970s and 1980s including The Aristocrats, The Rescuers, and the Black Cauldron.

His TV credits include Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo, Alvin & The Chipmunks, The Transformers, The Real Ghostbusters, and Batman: The Animated Series.

He was also known for voicing the animatronic Abraham Lincoln at Walt Disney World's Hall of Presidents.

• Sad 5
6 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I do love all his other movies. But Star Wars is in a different catagory.

That moment in "Revenge Of The Sith"--"Lord Vader?" "YES?"--is bone-chilling and spectacular all at once. I still remember the entire theater gasping at it. Its amazing how no one cares about the guy who was in the costume, it's JEJ voice that made the character.

• Like 5
1 minute ago, BetterButter said:

As sad is this must be for Mr. McQueen's widow and children, I hope that his 92-year-old mother Neile Adams also has folks consoling her- especially since she had already buried her daughter Terri Leslie McQueen in 1989 so now she has outlived both her children (in addition to having survived both her husbands- the latter she'd stay married to until his death).

• Sad 14
5 hours ago, Is Everyone Gone said:

Michaela DePrince, a 29 year old ballet dancer whose story was featured on "First Position" has passed away.

I did not know about her but just read about her life since 29 just struck me as terribly young. Such a loss. Such a challenging life and such triumphs. I don't know why this hits me so hard.

• Like 7
  • Hugs 1

FU Emmy's.

Not one mention in the Memorium section for David Soul.  When Starsky ^ Hutch was not only a groundbreaking show at the time, but David was multi-talented, in having a successful music career too.

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Angry 5
3 hours ago, BetterButter said:

From CBS News:

"Steve Manning, a longtime Jackson family friend and former Jackson family manager, tells ET that Tito passed away today. While an official cause of death has not yet been determined, Manning believes that Tito suffered a heart attack while driving from New Mexico to Oklahoma."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tito-jackson-michael-jackson-brother-jackson-5-member-dead-70-sons-say/#textWhile20an20official20cause20of2C20Jermaine2C20Marlon20and20Michael

• Mind Blown 1

The 2024 76th Emmy Awards In Memoriam 

2024 Creative Arts Emmy Awards In Memoriam (Sunday)

https://www.emmys.com/video-gallery/in-memoriam#videoId=724331

2024 Creative Arts Emmy Awards In Memoriam (Saturday)

https://www.emmys.com/video-gallery/in-memoriam#videoId=724351

The Television Academy 2024 In Memoriam List of Names

https://www.emmys.com/video-gallery/in-memoriam#videoId=724006

Edited by MissAlmond
6 hours ago, roamyn said:

FU Emmy's.

Not one mention in the Memorium section for David Soul.  When Starsky ^ Hutch was not only a groundbreaking show at the time, but David was multi-talented, in having a successful music career too.

It's a shame there's no TCM Remembers style tribute for those from the television industry. 

• Like 3