Type keyword(s) to search

Milestone Moments: All The Celebrity Vitals

• Start Topic

I truly hope that at the very least Mr. Perry's relatives were able to be informed before the news hit the 'Net!

I still haven't forgotten (or forgiven) how it was that every single one of Rick Nelson's loved ones from his four children to his brother David to his aging mother Harriet got bombarded  with the news of his plane crash death in 1985 by  via the media  with none getting notified by the authorities beforehand!

And, yes, I also hope that his loved ones and former costars allowed to grieve in peace and that somehow they avoid a fishbowl circus re any funeral but I don't think they can count on it.

• Like 8
  • Sad 10
53 minutes ago, Zella said:

My understanding is Morrison was there as Perry's stepdad and was equally ambushed by media. 

That's absolutely disgusting. This sort of shit is why people punch out paparazzi sometimes. 

1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

Yet I saw elsewhere how some are already bitching because the cast has yet to run to social media. Gross.)

I've seen a couple comments like that, too. Just further proof of why I never want to be famous. Grief is tough enough to deal with on your own, having it broadcast for all the public to see besides, and scrutinized as to how you're grieving? No, thank you. 

I hope his family, friends, and castmates tell these vultures just where they can shove their cameras. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 9
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

Grief is tough enough to deal with on your own, having it broadcast for all the public to see besides, and scrutinized as to how you're grieving? No, thank you. 

I remember reading that Luke Perry's daughter got nasty comments to her social media when she didn't post right away following his death.  She had to make her way back from Africa upon learning of his stroke, was with her family at the hospital until he died, and then dared take a few days to process the fact she was now a teenage girl with no father before speaking to the world.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 31
  • Fire 1

Sadly (but not surprisingly), "entertainment" sites are posting statements from everyone who ever knew Matthew Perry.   "The last thing Matthew said to Random Actress before he died".  Well of course it was before he died.  

To quote Chandler Bing "Shut up, shut up, shut up!"

• Like 13
  • Hugs 2
  • LOL 4
13 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

And, not surprisingly, the Friends set, the Go On series set, and Fools Rush In are near the top of the Amazon best sellers today.

Maybe because I was also in my 20s when Friends began, but this hit hard. Even though I'm not all that surprised by Matthew Perry's death, I am still sad as hell about it.

Cannot fathom what his poor parents, stepfather, and the rest of the Friends cast are feeling.

(Yet I saw elsewhere how some are already bitching because the cast has yet to run to social media. Gross.)

I am also the same age as most most of the Friends cast, and I think we need to DE-normalize posting private thoughts to social media. No need to announce your private thoughts and feelings to a world of strangers.

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I remember reading that Luke Perry's daughter got nasty comments to her social media when she didn't post right away following his death.  She had to make her way back from Africa upon learning of his stroke, was with her family at the hospital until he died, and then dared take a few days to process the fact she was now a teenage girl with no father before speaking to the world.

She should’ve NEVER been expected to say ANYTHING to a bunch of strangers at all. This shit needs to change. 

• Like 14
  • Applause 9

A lot of headlines about his death are real clickbait and reflect how much people want a reaction from the other five. Lots of mentions of costars and cast mates, deliberately vague. Makes people think the other five have commented when they’re really referring to guest stars. (I’m assuming. I don’t click. They just turn up in my Google feed.)

I’m very much in the “leave them alone” camp. If they want to say something, fine. But in no way do they “owe” anyone comments about a tragedy like this.

It won’t surprise me if they say something or if they don’t. They’ve been famously tight-lipped about and protective of each other from the start. I can remember interviews early on where they would clam up when asked about each other. Lisa Kudrow once explained to an interviewer that questions about costars felt personal to them, not professional, as it would be on a lot of shows. They felt uncomfortable talking about their relationships with each other and sharing that with the world.

They were famous for closing ranks. There were stories of a guest star or even crew member slighting one of the six, then finding themselves completely frozen out by the other five. I can’t imagine how they feel now — and I really don’t want to know.

• Like 14
  • Useful 1

In the 1995 Beatles Anthology documentary George Harrison said he always felt sorry for Elvis because he was alone and nobody else knew what it was like to be him. At least being a Beatle, there were three other people who went through the same experience and understood.

• Like 21
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, AgathaC said:

I can’t imagine how they feel now — and I really don’t want to know.

I won't be surprised if we don't hear anything. To use as an example, when Robin Williams passed, Whoopi was devastated by his loss and didn't say or post anything. Their friendship (which included Billy Crystal) went back to the Comic Relief days.

I know not a lot of people don't care for Whoopi, but her grief was real; and she barely talked about it when she returned to The View. She let Billy do all the talking.

• Sad 14
1 hour ago, AstridM said:

No need to announce your private thoughts and feelings to a world of strangers.

So much of it has become performative. If a close friend or family member loses a loved one I immediately call them.  When someone I know but am not super close to loses a loved one I send them a DM offering my condolences. I have a relative who more than once has posted condolences on social media before other family members were notified of a loved one's death.   The other Friends were like family so of course I expect they will reach out to Matthew's family.  They should not be judged for what they do or don't do.

• Like 11
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1
54 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

So much of it has become performative. If a close friend or family member loses a loved one I immediately call them.  When someone I know but am not super close to loses a loved one I send them a DM offering my condolences. I have a relative who more than once has posted condolences on social media before other family members were notified of a loved one's death.   The other Friends were like family so of course I expect they will reach out to Matthew's family.  They should not be judged for what they do or don't do.

To most civilized people, it's obvious they would be mouring a loss of a close friend (pun not intended). But, there's a contigent of people who think if they don't post, they don't care.

(edit to add) I see a lot of "what was that noise" or "why all the sirens" on local sub-Reddits. We have become a very nosy society because of social media. I heard a news story this morning about how Perry's cause of death has now been "deferred" and my immediate response was "we are never entitled to know."

Edited by RunningMarket
  • Like 6
1 minute ago, RunningMarket said:

But, there's a contigent of people who think if they don't post, they don't care.

We experienced this when my sister died.  Some in the extended family were all over their social media posting constant "pay attention to my loss and pity me" posts.  My other siblings and I had agreed not to post anything other than links to the obit and funeral information - and we only did that at our parents request.  If the Friends friends choose to say something that's up to them but this idea that not posting means you aren't grieving has got to stop.

• Like 9
  • Hugs 2
  • Applause 2
2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

In July, I found out about a friend's death, when a mutual friend posted on her FB page. They were good friends in person, I only knew her online, but I loved her. When I sent a PM, asking what happened, she said she'd posted on a small board we're both a member of, but I rarely visit, because I had a falling out with another mutual friend, two years ago. So, I visited long enough to talk about her loss, with a few friends, and didn't post to her page. 

1 hour ago, RunningMarket said:

To most civilized people, it's obvious they would be mouring a loss of a close friend (pun not intended). But, there's a contigent of people who think if they don't post, they don't care.

(edit to add) I see a lot of "what was that noise" or "why all the sirens" on local sub-Reddits. We have become a very nosy society because of social media. I heard a news story this morning about how Perry's cause of death has now been "deferred" and my immediate response was "we are never entitled to know."

I think we're just so used to being exposed to them more through social media, and the people who would expect that, just don't get it until they lose someone that close to them. 

I think people have always been that nosy. I know that I wonder about things, but it also feels like bad luck to be that nosy. I also wouldn't want to be sticking my nose in, on one of the worst days of someone's life, like when someone's been in a bad accident, so I never understood the, "They're like a train wreck, you can't look away." Yeah, you can. 

When my mum died, we'd been posting updates for some people using facebook, because it was easier than emailing everyone, when she was in the hospital, and dealing with three major surgeries, over the course of a month. dad emailed family and close friends, and I was in touch with them and others, on social media. I don't open my SM up to people I don't know, but I had a few mutuals add me during that time. I realized they were just being nosy, after a while, and then you reach a point, several months later, where you can just feel people looking for an excuse to delete you. Their curiosity was satisfied. It's all so strange. 

Adding: I have wondered when the live-tweeting of shows and movies started. I wondered if actors got paid extra to live-tweet as promotion of the show, or if they wanted to do it. They interact with fans as they do it. Instagram is also used for promotion, and tiktok. I guess that's a question for another thread. 

• Useful 7
2 hours ago, RunningMarket said:

But, there's a contigent of people who think if they don't post, they don't care.

Honestly, who are these people and why should we give them any attention in our society?

2 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

We experienced this when my sister died.  Some in the extended family were all over their social media posting constant "pay attention to my loss and pity me" posts.  My other siblings and I had agreed not to post anything other than links to the obit and funeral information - and we only did that at our parents request.  If the Friends friends choose to say something that's up to them but this idea that not posting means you aren't grieving has got to stop.

When my dad died a few years ago, I didn’t post anything for a few weeks, then posted just his death/funeral announcement. My grieving took place off social media. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 3
12 minutes ago, Anela said:

In July, I found out about a friend's death, when a mutual friend posted on her FB page. They were good friends in person, I only knew her online, but I loved her. When I sent a PM, asking what happened, she said she'd posted on a small board we're both a member of, but I rarely visit, because I had a falling out with another mutual friend, two years ago. So, I visited long enough to talk about her loss, with a few friends, and didn't post to her page. 

I think we're just so used to being exposed to them more through social media, and the people who would expect that, just don't get it until they lose someone that close to them. 

But no one in the main cast of Friends has ever been very active on social media, have they? 

• Useful 5
1 minute ago, AstridM said:

But no one in the main cast of Friends has ever been very active on social media, have they? 

I don't know, and I wasn't saying that they should post anything. 

• Like 3

Some of them have Twitter/X, but only post when (apparently) their contracts require them to promote their latest project. Jen Aniston joined Instagram only about a year ago, and promptly set a world record for followers. 

• Like 5
15 minutes ago, AstridM said:

Honestly, who are these people and why should we give them any attention in our society?

I agree - but they can be a very vocal minority that I think sometime badger people into doing things (like making public statements). It's mob mentality.

Jennifer Aniston as mentioned recently joined Instagram, and Courtenay Cox has been active on there for some time, often making Friends references. I don't actively follow any of the former cast, so I'm not sure about the others.

• Like 6
15 minutes ago, Quof said:

People are dragging Jennifer on her Instagram page for not posting.  I hope she has a PA who monitors her social media for her.

I like to think the other Friends have been through the media rodeo enough to know the haters are going to just embarrass themselves if left alone.

• Like 10
  • Applause 5
2 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I'll just add that to a growing list of reasons why I can't wait until Xitter finally self-destructs. At this rate, it shouldn't take long but there is still a lot of damage that can happen until then.

I absolutely cannot wait for that moment, either! 

• Like 9
  • Applause 2

I’m glad they acknowledged their pain but also directed condolences to Mathews family which is where the concern and love should be going. I appreciate the connection the cast shared but I don’t think their devastation is going to match his family’s and I’m glad they shared condolences to them in the statement. 

• Like 23
37 minutes ago, AheadofStraight said:

As predicted, the cast of Friends released a joint statement. I hope people will leave them alone now.

Lovely: 

"We are all so utterly devastated by the loss of Matthew. We were more than just cast mates. We are a family,…
"There is so much to say, but right now we’re going to take a moment to grieve and process this unfathomable loss.
"In time we will say more, as and when we are able….
"For now, our thoughts and our love are with Matty’s family, his friends, and everyone who loved him around the world."

• Like 5
  • Love 11
36 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

I’m glad they acknowledged their pain but also directed condolences to Mathews family which is where the concern and love should be going. I appreciate the connection the cast shared but I don’t think their devastation is going to match his family’s and I’m glad they shared condolences to them in the statement. 

I'm also glad that they directed condolences to his friends. I hesitate to say this. I don't want it to come out wrong. I'm certain that they all had a special bond forged through their work together and the experience of being basically the '90s TV version of The Beatles and I don't want to minimize that, but the show ended twenty years ago and other than the occasional reunion their lives moved on.  Something about all this has reminded me of when Gene Wilder died and so many people on social media said things like "Well at least he's with Gilda Radner again" - essentially erasing his widow to whom he'd been married for around 25 years at the time he died.  I guess I just appreciate that they acknowledge that they were not the most important people in his life in 2023.

• Like 22
  • Useful 1

Every time I see the name Channing Tatum, I cannot pull up a visual, or even remember what gender they are, and have to go look him (as it turns out) up anew; it never sticks for some reason!  (I've never seen him in anything, just read the name.)

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
12 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Huh.  So Zoe Kravitz and Channing Tatum are engaged per: People Magazine.

I feel like I had no idea they were dating.  LOL.

I hope both are happy and luckier than they had  been  with their respective first unions.

Moreover, I hope Mr. Tatum is ready for the prospect of having Lenny Kravitz for his father-in-law! Mr. Kravitz is by NO means a cream puff -especially when it comes to being protective of his loved ones!

Congratulations Mr. Tatum and Miss Kravitz!

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, Blergh said:

Moreover, I hope Mr. Tatum is ready for the prospect of having Lenny Kravitz for his father-in-law! Mr. Kravitz is by NO means a cream puff -especially when it comes to being protective of his loved ones!

And Jason Momoa is her stepdad, so I'm sure Mr. Tatum will treat Miss Kravitz extremely well!  🤣

They seem like a good match, so congratulations to them!

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 3

Former child actor Judy Nugent who co-starred with Jane Wyman in the 1954 film Magnificent Obsession and played a young girl who goes on an around the world adventure with Superman on the TV series Adventures of Superman has died, age 83.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/judy-nugent-dead-actress-the-ruggles-adventures-of-superman-1235633202/

https://deadline.com/2023/10/judy-nugent-dead-1235588397/

https://www.supermanhomepage.com/judy-nugent-young-actress-on-around-the-world-with-superman-dies-at-83/

• Sad 9

Tyler Christopher, known as the actor to originate the role of Nikolas Cassadine on General Hospital, is gone. Like Matthew Perry, he long struggled with addiction. So eerie to lose them back to back.

May he rest in peace. At least his struggle is over. 😢

• Sad 18
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

Tyler Christopher, known as the actor to originate the role of Nikolas Cassadine on General Hospital, is gone. Like Matthew Perry, he long struggled with addiction. So eerie to lose them back to back.

Nooo! Only 10 years older than me!I’m so sorry his life was troubled towards the end.  I loved him as Nik back in the ‘90s and he will always be the real Nik to me. Nik/Liz/Lucky were my ish in the ‘90s.  I did grow annoyed with the Nik/Emily over saturation in the early ‘00s but I still had love for the actor. Damn. Rest in peace Tyler 😔

• Sad 2
  • Fire 1
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Damn, this makes me sad. I didn't watch GH very much, only briefly, but I remember Nikolas Cassadine and thought he was so dreamy as a teenager. So young, too. 

• Sad 5
On 10/31/2023 at 5:34 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Oh damn. This one hurts. I was into General Hospital for years and Nikolas was one of my favorite characters. Tyler Christopher was a really good actor. It was also funny that he guest starred on an episode of Charmed the same time future Lucky Spencer, Greg Vaughn was on. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 2
  • Useful 1

Three-time Emmy nominee producer and writer Peter S. Fischer who co-created the television series Murder, She Wrote and wrote for TV shows such as ColumboEllery Queen, and Baretta has died, age 88. In 1994, Mr. Fischer received the Mystery Writers of America Edgar Allan Poe award for his contributions to the genre.  

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/peter-s-fischer-dead-murder-she-wrote-columbo-1235635648/

https://deadline.com/2023/11/peter-s-fischer-dies-murder-she-wrote-co-creator-writer-1235591252/

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/peter-s-fischer-dead-murder-she-wrote-1235778343/

https://www.thewrap.com/peter-s-fischer-murder-she-wrote-cocreator-obit/

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 3
  • Sad 14

Actor Peter White who played Linc Tyler on the soap opera All My Children and starred in the original stage production and film adaptation of The Boys in the Band has died, age 86.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/peter-white-dead-boys-in-the-band-all-my-children-1235637127/

https://deadline.com/2023/11/peter-white-dead-former-all-my-children-actor-86-1235593374/

https://www.thewrap.com/peter-white-all-my-children-and-the-boys-in-the-band-star-dies-at-86/

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Sad 12
5 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Actor Peter White who played Linc Tyler on the soap opera All My Children and starred in the original stage production and film adaptation of The Boys in the Band has died, age 86.

He's one of those actors I didn't recognize by name, but immediately did by face -- he was Mr. Gogolak in a highly-overrated episode ("Arcadia") of The X-Files.  Looking at his credits, he was in several other things I watched in the '80s and '90s, but that's my primary association.

• Like 6
8 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I think this is considered a life event. Patrick Dempsey named Sexiest Man Alive! Omg!!! 😍🤩👍This is a majorly hot mature man.  I am very impressed.  He is looking better than ever for sure!  People got this one right.  

https://people.com/patrick-dempsey-people-sexiest-man-alive-2023-exclusive-8391684

I saw that yesterday, and it seems kinda random to me. Lol I mean I don't know, but has he been in any shows or movies lately? It seems like they usually pick someone who is "popular" at the time for that kind of thing. I really don't keep up with that stuff, but I was just wondering. Good for him anyway though. 

• Like 8
2 minutes ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

I saw that yesterday, and it seems kinda random to me. Lol I mean I don't know, but has he been in any shows or movies lately? It seems like they usually pick someone who is "popular" at the time for that kind of thing. I really don't keep up with that stuff, but I was just wondering. Good for him anyway though. 

I watched the live reveal on Jimmy Kimmel Live last night and had the same reaction as you did. Don't get me wrong, Patrick Dempsey is still a very attractive man, but I always expected that he'd be named SMA at some point during his long stint on Grey's Anatomy. I wasn't expecting it now, while he seems to be a bit farther from the spotlight. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1