Type keyword(s) to search

Milestone Moments: All The Celebrity Vitals

• Start Topic

Michael Caine, 90, announces his retirement. From Deadline: 

Michael Caine Claims (Once Again) He’s Retiring At Age 90 After ‘The Great Escaper’ Filming

Michael Caine says he’s done with film work. Really.

The British icon and two-time Oscar-winner said his upcoming The Great Escaper will mark his final film before retirement. He’s said similar things before, which were quickly walked back. But at age 90, it seems that this time is truly the moment.

“I am bloody 90 now, and I can’t walk properly and all that,” he told The Telegraph in a new profile. “I sort of am retired now.”

• Like 6
  • Useful 2
7 hours ago, bluphoenix451 said:

The Turner/Jonas divorce is getting uglier. Sophie has filed to have her children brought back to England and alleges that they had agreed to move there and that Joe is now refusing to send them. She also says she found out via the media about the divorce. 

https://people.com/sophie-turner-sues-joe-jonas-demands-kids-be-returned-to-england-amid-split-7972708

Interesting, because here's another article where Joe Jonas is disputing her claim regarding the children. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2023/09/21/sophie-turner-sues-joe-jonas-divorce-return-kids-england/70919718007/

• Useful 1
10 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Interesting, because here's another article where Joe Jonas is disputing her claim regarding the children. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2023/09/21/sophie-turner-sues-joe-jonas-divorce-return-kids-england/70919718007/

I don’t think his version really does him any favors. Her version is that they had agreed to move to England, sold their home in the US and entered a contact to buy a home in England. The kids began living in England in April then when she started filming and he went on tour she reluctantly agreed to the kids staying with him while expecting them all to return to England once she finished filming. Then just before her series wrapped he blindsided her with a divorce. 

He is saying there is now a court order preventing the kids from leaving due to the divorce proceedings as though he didn’t specifically pick the timing and location of the filing to create exactly this situation. 

35 minutes ago, AstridM said:

Signed a contract to buy a home? What does that even mean?

I’m not sure what you mean. That’s the normal process for buying a home where I am. The actual sale isn’t immediate and is usually contingent on a variety of factors. In this case the home wasn’t finished and they were renting until it was ready. 

41 minutes ago, AstridM said:

Signed a contract to buy a home? What does that even mean?

Not the two of them signed a contract with each other agreeing that they'd buy a house, just a normal home-buying situation where the two of them entered into a contract with a seller.

• Like 9
  • Useful 1
21 hours ago, Dani said:

I’m not sure what you mean. That’s the normal process for buying a home where I am. The actual sale isn’t immediate and is usually contingent on a variety of factors. In this case the home wasn’t finished and they were renting until it was ready. 

Thank you.

31 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

The Jonas children are US citizens, right?

The two daughters were born in the US and their father is a US citizen so those two hoops alone would be tricky for Miss Turner to jump through but the fact that she's currently in England (another country and legal jurisdiction) makes it extra tough for Miss Turner to get her daughters returned to her. Sorry to say, at the very least, she likely would have to return to the US to start her custody fight!

• Useful 5
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

The two daughters were born in the US and their father is a US citizen so those two hoops alone would be tricky for Miss Turner to jump through but the fact that she's currently in England (another country and legal jurisdiction) makes it extra tough for Miss Turner to get her daughters returned to her. Sorry to say, at the very least, she likely would have to return to the US to start her custody fight!

Since Ms. Turner is a UK citizen, it is possible that her children have dual citizenship.  I don't know the UK law, but, most European countries allow citizenship for any child born to a current citizen.  Usually there is an application/registration process for it, but, since Turner and Jonas were apparently contemplating moving to the UK permanently at some point, I'd presume the kids are UK citizens, too.

However, Turner's big problem now is the fact that the children are currently residing in the US with their father and that would determine the jurisdiction for any custody claims.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

The Jonas children are US citizens, right?

In her filing she says they have dual citizenship. 

3 hours ago, Blergh said:

The two daughters were born in the US and their father is a US citizen so those two hoops alone would be tricky for Miss Turner to jump through but the fact that she's currently in England (another country and legal jurisdiction) makes it extra tough for Miss Turner to get her daughters returned to her.

She’s in New York with the children.

They’ve both filed claiming jurisdiction that is most favorable to them. He filed in Florida claiming that the children’s legal residence should be Florida.

She’s filed in New York claiming they did not have a permanent residence until they moved to the UK in April 2023 making England the children’s habitual residence. And that the federal courts should have jurisdiction under the Hague Convention.

Her filing is online and her lawyers make a strong case. Of course, I’m sure they glossed over any facts that were not in their favor so his lawyer’s response may also make a strong case. 

The children currently being in the US definitely makes it tougher on her which, undoubtedly, is why he filed a couple of weeks before she was going to take the kids back to England. 

On 9/21/2023 at 5:13 PM, ProudMary said:

Michael Caine, 90, announces his retirement. From Deadline: 

Michael Caine Claims (Once Again) He’s Retiring At Age 90 After ‘The Great Escaper’ Filming

I'm sorry to hear he's retiring. He's been in so many great movies and played so many memorible characters. But I hope he has a very long and enjoyable retirement.

25 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

Falls at that age make me nervous.  I hope she recovers and back to normal very soon. 

• Like 12
8 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Actor Sophia Loren recovering from surgery following a fall at her home.

Oh, jeez, that is so often the beginning of the end at that age.  I hope the "cautious optimism" for her recovery indeed bears out.  She's been so active even in recent years, I'm sure it's going to be hard for her emotionally on top of the physical difficulties.

• Like 6
  • Love 6
23 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

David McCallum has passed away.  Loved him in Man from U.N.C.L.E. and NCIS.  😥

I didn't watch either of those shows, so I think of him as Professor Plum from a season (the cast changed each season) of the British game show Cluedo.  It was an unusual format, required improvisation, and was total camp.  The cast was (mostly) great.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I didn't watch either of those shows, so I think of him as Professor Plum from a season (the cast changed each season) of the British game show Cluedo.  It was an unusual format, required improvisation, and was total camp.  The cast was (mostly) great.

I would have loved Cluedo.  

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Notabug said:

Love this quote from McCallum's son about his mother's reaction to his death:

After returning from the hospital to their apartment, I asked my mother if she was OK before she went to sleep,” added Peter McCallum. “Her answer was simply, ‘Yes. But I do wish we had had a chance to grow old together.’ She is 79, and dad just turned 90.  The honesty in that emotion shows how vibrant their beautiful relationship and daily lives were, and that somehow, even at 90, Daddy never grew old. “

They were married 56 years.

RIP

Lovely.

• Like 1
  • Love 10

#RIP Mr. McCallum. 😢😢😢😭 For those not familiar with the 60s series, McCallum co-starred as Ilya Kuryakin with Robert Vaughn as Napoleon Solo in The Man From U.N.C.L.E, a James Bond-like 60s pop culture phenomenon that combined spy intrigue, action, humor and a wide range of celebrity guest stars from film, TV and the music business. The two actors had wonderful partner chemistry, which led to many shows trying to copy the formula, and likely was an inspiration for subsequent law enforcement partnerships on shows like Starsky and Hutch and Miami Vice.

• Like 13

Not Ducky! He was my favorite character on NCIS and one of two characters left that I liked on the show in the last years before I quit. All the other main characters became so terrible but not Ducky. He was always really great. I loved his stories and always hated when someone would interrupt the story. He was always really great to everyone. I never got a chance to watch the man from U.N.C.LE. but still hoping to see it one day. 

RIP David McCallum. Thank you for Ducky.

• Like 8
  • Hugs 3
  • Love 2

Rest in Peace, Ducky and Ilya.

I also saw McCallum in an early Perry Mason episode; Murder, She Wrote, as well.

And this is a weird thing to post, but at least he passed away due to natural causes, and not any kind of cancer. I think I'll do a rewatch of the first season of NCIS this weekend. Maybe.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 11
15 hours ago, Zella said:

I also always think of him in The Great Escape as Lt. Commander Ashley-Pitt. 

Love that movie. Unlike the other prisoners who were RAF he was Royal Navy and came up with a way of disposing the dirt from the tunnels. His heroic move later at the train station is also memorable.

17 hours ago, Notabug said:

Love this quote from McCallum's son about his mother's reaction to his death:

After returning from the hospital to their apartment, I asked my mother if she was OK before she went to sleep,” added Peter McCallum. “Her answer was simply, ‘Yes. But I do wish we had had a chance to grow old together.’ She is 79, and dad just turned 90.  The honesty in that emotion shows how vibrant their beautiful relationship and daily lives were, and that somehow, even at 90, Daddy never grew old. “

They were married 56 years.

RIP

They married a year after his divorce from actress Jill Ireland in 1967. She married his friend and Great Escape co-star Charles Bronson also a year after their divorce.

McCallum: “I never hated him, Charlie was always a good friend,” he says. “I find that when problems come along, worrying about them and getting anxious and negative is quite unnecessary. You can solve them, usually amicably. That’s what happened.”

Edited by Fool to cry
  • Like 10
  • Love 6
36 minutes ago, Fool to cry said:

Love that movie.

Me too! It's one of my favorite and I have to rewatch it every few years! Though sometimes I forget how utterly depressing the last third of the movie is. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
17 minutes ago, Zella said:

Me too! It's one of my favorite and I have to rewatch it every few years! Though sometimes I forget how utterly depressing the last third of the movie is. 

Donald Pleasance' character. 😭

This is cool. Had no idea:

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 4
  • Love 8

Ah, David McCallum. His Illya Kuryakin rocked a black turtleneck, so much sexier than Napoleon Solo.  A favorite early McCallum movie was A Night to Remember where he played Harold Bride, the assistant wireless operator who survived the sinking of the Titanic. Then there was the much later Mother Love where he played the ex-husband of a very obsessed and vindictive Diana Rigg. A talented actor and musician. May Mr. McCallum rest in peace.  

• Like 15
3 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Then there was the much later Mother Love where he played the ex-husband of a very obsessed and vindictive Diana Rigg. A talented actor and musician. May Mr. McCallum rest in peace.  

Both he and Diana Rigg were fantastic in Mother Love.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, CarolinaPam said:

Harry Potter actor Sir Michael Gambon has died at age 82.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-66949848

Oh damn, damn, damn.

I’ll always wonder how different it would have been if Richard Harris had been allowed to finish playing Dumbledore. But other than that much memed part in Goblet of Fire, Michael did a pretty good job. Yes! I KNOW he’s been in other movies, but come on, it’s the first one you remember.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

HP fans have been bitching for years that he wasn't calm when he asked Harry if he put his name in the Goblet of Fire like in the books. It was Gambon's idea to play Dumbledore be shaken to the core instead and he was right. Movies are different than books and if you're going to convey to non-book readers that Harry being entered into the tournament means someone is trying to get him killed, "calm" aint going to cut it.

RIP.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 8
2 hours ago, Fool to cry said:

HP fans have been bitching for years that he wasn't calm when he asked Harry if he put his name in the Goblet of Fire like in the books. It was Gambon's idea to play Dumbledore be shaken to the core instead and he was right. Movies are different than books and if you're going to convey to non-book readers that Harry being entered into the tournament means someone is trying to get him killed, "calm" aint going to cut it.

RIP.

He definitely made the role his own and did well as Dumbledore. It couldn't have been easy replacing Richard Harris after two films.

• Like 12
3 hours ago, Fool to cry said:

In hindsight, I wonder if the filmmakers were trying to make that part in the movie where Harry realize that the kindly old headmaster he knew really is the only one Voldemort is legitimately scared of for a damn good reason.* If so, well played.

*In the book that doesn’t happen til the end when Dumbledore attacks Fake Moody with this scary angry look in his face. For a 150 year old man, Dumbledore is NOT to be fucked with.

• Like 8

I didn't recognize the name (I've never read or seen any Harry Potter stories), but as soon as I pulled up Gambon's IMDb profile, I recognized his face.  I'm not sure why, as I haven't seen him in very many things -- which is itself surprising with nearly 175 screen credits to his name.  That's a great career!

• Like 8

One of the things I liked most about Michael Gambon was that as well as being an incredible actor, he had a bit of life about him. So many of the people who worked with him had amusing anecdotes to share, but something from a blooper reel came across my social media feed last night that I hadn’t seen in years and it really made me laugh.

• Like 1
  • LOL 7

Gosford Park is the first thing that comes to mind for me. Such a loathsome character in many ways, yet there was a tiny part of me that actually felt for him. Just a little. Maybe because he loved his dog and encouraged Elsie, building her confidence.

• Like 4
  • Love 5