Type keyword(s) to search

Milestone Moments: All The Celebrity Vitals

• Start Topic

(edited)

I like this version of this picture of Alan Arkin because it melds the old and the young, which, as with most of those honored on this thread, we can continue to visit after their passing, that is, both their youthful selves and their later selves:

image.png.b626cbc986727e296b2ef7187a96daee.png

This👆 version of the photo was posted at: https://www.instagram.com/p/CuHmAXfo1o1/?ref=53pwep&hl=af

The original photo is here, with a great NPR interview:
npr.org/2011/03/01/134168099/Alan-Arkin-Muses-On-His-Improvised-Life

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 7
  • Love 6

I thought Arkin was in this interview, but he wasn’t.  Still, it’s a good show of men who’ve met many milestones.  Two are still living.  Lear at 100 and Van Dyke at  97!  

• Like 4
  • Love 6

There's a movie that makes the free streaming service rounds every now and then. I first saw it on Netflix years ago. I bought it on Amazon this weekend in Alan Arkin's honor. It's called Going in Style. It's from 2017. It's a goofy, lightweight comedy with Alan, Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine. It's become an escapist favorite of mine. That was my Arkin tributethis weekend.

• Like 10
  • Love 1

A gossip site more than hints that Madonna's "illness" isn't what it's been posited to be.

From Entertainment Lawyer:

If you have been reading the site with any regularity over the past few months, then you already knew that the permanent A list singer was doing way more drugs than usual. It shouldn't be a shocker that she overdosed. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 7
  • Useful 5

Here's a lovely, lengthy tribute to Alan Arkin from Variety:

Alan Arkin Tribute: While Gracious Enough to Let His Co-Stars Shine, He Was Consistently the Most Memorable Character in Any Film

Talk to enough film critics and movie buffs about Arkin’s wide range of performances, and you’ll start to suspect that almost everyone has a different favorite.

Just as we've shown in our conversation here. Alan Arkin was great in everything he did. His performance always stood out, regardless of the film or the caliber of the actors working beside him.

• Like 9
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, bmasters9 said:

Dr. Frank Field, famed WNBC/WCBS weatherman and health reporter, has passed on as a centenarian:

AWWW!  I grew up watching Frank and later his son Storm Field doing the weather at WNBC and WABC respectively.  RIP Mr. Fields, and my condolences to Storm.

• Like 1
  • Sad 6
  • Love 1
(edited)
37 minutes ago, magicdog said:

AWWW!  I grew up watching Frank and later his son Storm Field doing the weather at WNBC and WABC respectively.  RIP Mr. Fields, and my condolences to Storm.

While, of course, it's sad that the elder Mr. Field passed away (and my condolences to his loved ones), I can't help but imagine that his son Storm, at best, would have had to have worked to have made peace with being tagged that  (if not at some point outrightly having resented his parents for tagging him that as a weatherman's son).  Still, since the younger Mr. Storm himself wound up becoming a weatherman, I suppose he made his peace and/or decided resistance was futile.

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, Blergh said:

While, of course, it's sad that the elder Mr. Field passed away (and my condolences to his loved ones), I can't help but imagine that his son Storm, at best, would have had to have worked to have made peace with being tagged that  (if not at some point outrightly having resented his parents for tagging him that as a weatherman's son).  Still, since the younger Mr. Storm himself wound up becoming a weatherman, I suppose he made his peace and/or decided resistance was futile.

Storm's given name was Elliott David Field, so maybe Storm wasn't such a bad nickname. 

I too grew up with Dr, Frank Field and then Storm (at different staitons). Storm was quite the hot young weatherman at the time.  In the crowd I ran with, anyway. 

Going to 100 is a good run.  Thank you, Dr. Frank, and RIP.

• Useful 6
13 hours ago, magicdog said:

A gossip site more than hints that Madonna's "illness" isn't what it's been posited to be.

I don't love TMZ but if I'm going to go with a behind-the-scenes gossip site, I'm probably going to go with them.  They're the ones who have shared details of her illness and it doesn't sound like a drug overdose. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
8 hours ago, Miss Anne Thrope said:

Storm's given name was Elliott David Field, so maybe Storm wasn't such a bad nickname. 

I too grew up with Dr, Frank Field and then Storm (at different staitons). Storm was quite the hot young weatherman at the time.  In the crowd I ran with, anyway. 

I remember an interview back in the day in which Storm explained his nickname originated because he was born on a stormy Thanksgiving night.  The name stuck.  Being amazingly cute didn't hurt either (yes, big crush talking here!).

• Like 3

Producer Lawrence Turman who was nominated for an Oscar for The Graduate (1967) and also produced such films as The Great White Hope, Pretty PoisonI Could Go On Singing, and American History X has died, age 96.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/lawrence-turman-dead-graduate-producer-1235528191/

https://deadline.com/2023/07/lawrence-turman-dies-oscar-nominated-producer-of-the-graduate-american-history-x-and-more-dies-at-age-96-1235429081/

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/lawrence-turman-dead-the-graduate-1235660226/

• Sad 8

Comedian Grace Helbig announces that she has cancer.

I really like Helbig. I first saw her on G4 TV's Attack of the Show. She's gone on to have quite a successful YouTube channel. She just seems like a nice, down-to-earth person.

After having lost both of my parents to this shitty disease, I sincerely hope she kicks cancer in the balls.

• Like 7
  • Hugs 8
On 7/1/2023 at 6:17 AM, Fool to cry said:

I saw the 2008 Get Smart starring Steve Carell and Anne Hathaway  based on the 60s show in theaters. Nothing memorable except for this scene with Arkin as the "Chief".

We regularly quote this in my house and it's always the first thing I think of when I hear his name, despite loving many of his other movies.

• Like 4
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Posting this because it made me laugh. Taylor broke up with Taylor, and then married a woman named Taylor.

It's quite practical really. Don't have to worry about remembering your SOs name, not worry about calling out your exes name in the throws of passion, and if someone accuses you of doing something bad you can blame it on your same named spouse. It might get a tad confusing when you start procreated a bunch of mini Taylors though, might have to start numbering them. When that happens, does the ex get a number? Oh, that would be awkward. lol

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 8
(edited)
22 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Posting this because it made me laugh. Taylor broke up with Taylor, and then married a woman named Taylor.

And recently, all three did this:

Edited by SVNBob
  • LOL 17
(edited)
On 7/9/2023 at 9:37 AM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

All of these redundant given names of the Launtners have me in stitches!

In fact, perhaps Stitches  would be an apt name for the two Taylors' firstborn since that's what that trade inevitably produces!LOL!

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 3
  • LOL 2
On 7/2/2023 at 10:41 PM, magicdog said:

I remember an interview back in the day in which Storm explained his nickname originated because he was born on a stormy Thanksgiving night.  The name stuck.  Being amazingly cute didn't hurt either (yes, big crush talking here!).

On 7/5/2023 at 8:10 PM, Vermicious Knid said:

On a happier note, meteorologist and tv personality Al Roker has become a first time grandfather. Daughter Courtney has delivered granddaughter Sky Clara Laga. 

First Storm, now Sky.  What's the next meteorologist-inspired name, Depression?

• Like 1
  • LOL 7
(edited)
13 minutes ago, Leeds said:

First Storm, now Sky.  What's the next meteorologist-inspired name, Depression?

Well,were it not for the two meteorologists' redpective progeny being more than seven decades apart in age, perhaps Rainbow would have been apt for possible offspring.LOL

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 1
  • LOL 5

"Jamie Foxx health update: Actor reportedly spotted publicly for 1st time since hospitalization boating on Chicago river" 

One of Google's Top Stories -- apparently the stars now take hospitals with them on their boats.  You know, just in case. 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 9
5 minutes ago, Leeds said:

"Jamie Foxx health update: Actor reportedly spotted publicly for 1st time since hospitalization boating on Chicago river" 

One of Google's Top Stories -- apparently the stars now take hospitals with them on their boats.  You know, just in case. 

But how big a sickbay can one fit on a river yacht?

IIRC, the Chicago River in the Windy City is nowhere close to the Mississippi 's width or depth at Memphis .

• Like 2
(edited)
16 hours ago, Leeds said:

16 hours ago, Blergh said:

But how big a sickbay can one fit on a river yacht?IIRC, the Chicago River in the Windy City is nowhere close to the Mississippi 's width or depth at Memphis .

A friend who lives adjacent to the Chicago River is always posting peaceful, non-Chicago-looking pictures (like this one below from their kayak), so maybe it's a good place to recuperate while also have NorthShore University [of Chicago] HealthSystem and Northwestern [University] Medicine resources nearby (without which I would not likely be alive and typing this). 

image.thumb.png.9190b65163e4e77c61834879afb5fa83.png

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Hugs 9
2 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Classical pianist André Watts who was one of the first African American instrumental classical music superstars has died, age 77. 

My introduction to Andre Watts.  Love this.  The picture is nice, too. 

• Like 11
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Classical pianist André Watts who was one of the first African American instrumental classical music superstars has died, age 77. 

Damn.  Chopin and Mr. Rogers must both be waiting at the pearly gates to shake his hand.  RIP, André Watts.

• Like 11
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

My introduction to Andre Watts.  Love this.  The picture is nice, too. 

Wow, gorgeous version of this piece.  Mr. Watts' plays each note so clearly.  I can't imagine the strength and precision to play the way he does.  Gershwin must also be waiting at the gates, to thank him for getting it right.  And yeah, the pic is nice too.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • Love 3