Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: We've Reached The End

dubbel zout
  • Start Topic

I also sobbed through this. What a great ending to the series. I believe the Greeks killed the FBI agent but the cop stole the files. Really well done show and the two leads knocked it out of the of the park. 

Edited by Seelouis
  • Like 4
  • Love 13

Well, with the title being what it was, this was the only way it could ever end.

Loved the crushing disappointment of the Grief Groupies at Jen naming her kid Joey instead of Judy. You don’t have to name your kid after someone to remember them. 

I loved how they showed Judy accepting her fate and working hard to be pleased for Jen that she actually somehow got Judy’s entire perfect dream life. It’s beautiful to see female friendships portrayed so wonderfully and women as emotionally complicated but not jealous harpies.

Judy going out with the tide and the dawn was lovely and I just hope she had taken all the pills first.

What a hilarious, gorgeous series. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • Love 11

They wrapped this up well.  I really loved Season 1, thought they went too off track on Season 2, and almost didn't watch Season 3.  I have to say, part of me watched simply out of mass respect for Christina Applegate for going through what she did to get it made.  If I hadn't read all the articles talking about how scenes were blocked mostly with her sitting or lying down, and not showing her walking into a room, I don't know if I would have noticed anything was different.

They did a good job bringing all the relationships back together.  As soon as Judy was diagnosed with cancer, I knew she would take the fall for Jen.  There really was no other way to tie up all the loose ends for the police.  Speaking of police...  when we left off last season, there was some bizarre sub-plot about Perez's boss being a dirty cop.  Did I miss something, or was that completely dropped this season?  (It served no purpose in Season 2.)   Also, did Judy inherit Steve's house in Mexico?  If so, why was she still living more or less penniless in CA?  If not, how in the world was it still in Steve's name a year after his death and available for them to hang out for a few weeks?

I'm so glad they brought back Karen.  Such a hilarious character.  Loved the gun case in the living room, and Jen "staging" the house by putting all the weird stuff in a box.  I loved the scene with them getting her to delete the security footage.  I didn't like the Mustang reappearing.  And I thought Jen bringing it back was just weird - why would she want that car, what would her kids think, and you'd think it would give Ben PTSD.

I'm not sure what we're supposed to think about the FBI guy's murder.  Did Perez do it, or did she take advantage of coming across him after the Greeks were there?  Which means she trashed the room, to cover for taking the files.  I think that is what happened.

But overall, this was a great show that really let two actresses truly shine.  I'm glad they got to end it on their terms.  (Sort of like Judy did.)

• Love 12

My mom gave me a copy of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes as a child, and it's always been a favourite, albeit tragic read. I loved that Judy made all the cranes, and the symbolism of "she's here" at the end.

The show seemed to leave a few things open to interpretation (or perhaps it was plot holes). I choose to believe that the Greeks killed the FBI agent, but Perez stole the files (and trashed the room), and they closed the case and accepted that Judy killed Steve. We will never know what Jen was about to admit to Ben, but it was a fun cliffhanger to end on.

Overall, I really loved the season, and this episode in particular. As mentioned before, it was great to see a female friendship play out like this.

• Love 10

I will miss this show so much because Applegate and Cardellini were the best but it went out on a high note. Not going to lie I sobbed. I just loved them as BFF so much.

Edited by Marley
  • Like 1
  • Love 13
5 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I also liked that Christina and Katey Sagal got to share a scene together.   

I feel stupid that I just realized their shared past when I read this comment! They both have had so many better developed and more dimensional roles since "Married...with Children". Google tells me that show started when I was in seventh grade and didn't end until I after I graduated college! I feel old.

• Like 6
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, bilgistic said:
16 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I feel stupid that I just realized their shared past when I read this comment!

Same!  And I used to love "Married...With Children."

I mean, what can you say.  This went out strong.  Christina Applegate is a comic powerhouse and yet can turn on the tears and make you cry with her.  

• Like 4
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, RunningMarket said:

We will never know what Jen was about to admit to Ben, but it was a fun cliffhanger to end on.

I just assumed she was going to tell him the truth about his brother’s death. Are there other possibilities I’m not thinking of? 

And I’m going to ignore that big dust-producing elephant in the room that others have covered, and just ask, what’s up with the cat? Surely it wouldn’t have survived in that house for however many months without being able to get out and snack on beach mice or whatever, or someone coming in to take care of it. I’m going to tell myself it knew very well how to get in and out, and was just guilting the new humans with the pawing at the door. 

• Like 2
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I just assumed she was going to tell him the truth about his brother’s death. Are there other possibilities I’m not thinking of? 

And I’m going to ignore that big dust-producing elephant in the room that others have covered, and just ask, what’s up with the cat? Surely it wouldn’t have survived in that house for however many months without being able to get out and snack on beach mice or whatever, or someone coming in to take care of it. I’m going to tell myself it knew very well how to get in and out, and was just guilting the new humans with the pawing at the door. 

Of course, that's the logical assumption to make. But since we never see/hear the rest, it could technically be anything. "Hey Ben, I did actually want to name her Judy." "Hey Ben, we're out of toilet paper." 

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 2
On 11/20/2022 at 7:23 PM, RunningMarket said:

We will never know what Jen was about to admit to Ben, but it was a fun cliffhanger to end on.

I chose a different way to rationalize that. The cat was pawing at the door of the studio where Judy lived. I recall there was a Cashiers check (originally hidden inside the bird) and I can’t recall that they ever did anything with that cash. Last I remember it, it was in that studio. Perhaps she was going to tell Ben about it. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
On 11/19/2022 at 6:01 PM, shipmate said:

So who killed the FBI guy? The Greek mafia guys or the woman police officer (having a brain fart on the name)?

Ha ha I thought it was the scone but my second choice was the mafia guys, they were heading there right after he had the scone so who knows.

• Love 5

I'm going to have to watch it again, because I wasn't giving it my full attention. I thought she was going to confess, right after I wondered how she could just keep living with Ben, knowing she killed his brother. But it was probably going to be something else. Judy confessed, to keep her out of trouble. She wouldn't be sending signs to tell the truth now. I think.

• Love 3
On 11/19/2022 at 9:01 PM, shipmate said:

So who killed the FBI guy? The Greek mafia guys or the woman police officer (having a brain fart on the name)?

Didn't Jen do it with the scone?

On 11/20/2022 at 6:43 PM, chaifan said:

They wrapped this up well.  I really loved Season 1, thought they went too off track on Season 2, and almost didn't watch Season 3. 

Same!  I remember hating, hating, hating Season 2!  I can't believe how much they improved for this one.

On 11/20/2022 at 6:43 PM, chaifan said:

They wrapped this up well.  I really loved Season 1, thought they went too off track on Season 2, and almost didn't watch Season 3.  I have to say, part of me watched simply out of mass respect for Christina Applegate for going through what she did to get it made.  If I hadn't read all the articles talking about how scenes were blocked mostly with her sitting or lying down, and not showing her walking into a room, I don't know if I would have noticed anything was different.

To me she only looked different - but I thought her acting was fantastic!  She was so funny.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:
On 11/19/2022 at 9:01 PM, shipmate said:

Didn't Jen do it with the scone?

My impression (which could be totally wrong, or they could have left it intentionally ambiguous):  Not Jen, because he ate the scone, had a coughing fit (fake-out), then was fine.  Then the Greek Mafia Syndicate guys came and did their thing.  Then Detective Perez (fine, I had to look it up) came along, discovered the aftermath, and collected all the case paperwork for the lighter-fluid file.

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4

I didn't love the cliff-hanger at the end. I think we're meant to assume she was going to confess to Ben about killing Steve. But that's a big conversation and its aftermath to rob us of. And I'm not a fan of those kinds of endings (see: Sopranos, etc.) IMO, a storyteller's duty is to finish the story. Not tell most of it then go "you fill in the rest." 

Aside from that it was a wonderful finale and I did get choked up when Jen was looking up at all the origami birds saying Judy was there. I thought the season as a whole really worked well, although I figured out pretty quickly Judy would take the fall for Steve's death.

I hope Judy willed that beautiful house in Mexico to Jen!

It didn't belong to her, it belonged to Steve. Since they weren't married she'd have no claim to it. Technically it would go to Ben or his parents, but it's possible nobody down there knows Steve is dead so it's just been sitting there. Steve's family might not even know about it.

They showed the Greek syndicate guys heading towards his room, but the final shot of Judy's mom seemed to suggest SHE did it. There was some narration about it as she was driving away with a smile on her face. I don't know how she'd know about him, though, so maybe I just misread that.

Ha, that didn't even occur to me. They have moved so far past Kelly and Peg Bundy I didn't even think about it.

when we left off last season, there was some bizarre sub-plot about Perez's boss being a dirty cop.  Did I miss something, or was that completely dropped this season?

He went to federal prison, thanks to Judy, who turned over some evidence against him to Nick. It was on some hard drive Steve had hidden in one of the paintings.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

They showed the Greek syndicate guys heading towards his room, but the final shot of Judy's mom seemed to suggest SHE did it. There was some narration about it as she was driving away with a smile on her face. I don't know how she'd know about him, though, so maybe I just misread that.

No, Judy's mom was wearing Judy's ankle monitor and heading up to San Francisco for three weeks, so it would look like Judy was in the clinical trial as agreed, not down in Mexico.  She had nothing to do with the FBI guy; the Greeks were showing up to do him in as Jen left, and then when Perez found his body, she stole the files to destroy.

On 11/20/2022 at 8:11 PM, bilgistic said:

I feel stupid that I just realized their shared past when I read this comment!

Ha -- same here!

• Like 3
  • Useful 6
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I didn't love the cliff-hanger at the end. I think we're meant to assume she was going to confess to Ben about killing Steve. But that's a big conversation and its aftermath to rob us of. And I'm not a fan of those kinds of endings (see: Sopranos, etc.) IMO, a storyteller's duty is to finish the story. Not tell most of it then go "you fill in the rest." 

Aside from that it was a wonderful finale and I did get choked up when Jen was looking up at all the origami birds saying Judy was there. I thought the season as a whole really worked well, although I figured out pretty quickly Judy would take the fall for Steve's death.

It didn't belong to her, it belonged to Steve. Since they weren't married she'd have no claim to it. Technically it would go to Ben or his parents, but it's possible nobody down there knows Steve is dead so it's just been sitting there. Steve's family might not even know about it.

Ha, that didn't even occur to me. They have moved so far past Kelly and Peg Bundy I didn't even think about it.

He went to federal prison, thanks to Judy, who turned over some evidence against him to Nick. It was on some hard drive Steve had hidden in one of the paintings.

I wasn't a fan of the abrupt ending, either. That is a big thing to leave it on, if she was going to admit to killing Steve.

• Like 2
  • Love 7

I sort of loved that they used the song "You've Got to Laugh a Little, Cry a Little," that was used in the movie Beaches.

Are we supposed to believe that Judy in such terrible pain and in a weakened state could drag a boat off the beach and row it somewhere?  Also, are we supposed to believe that Judy rowed herself off to the horizon in some sort of Viking funeral or did she take the whole bottle of pain meds to sail off into the sunset and die?

I kept thinking Jen would have some sort of flash back when Ben jumped into the pool because you know, he looks like Steve and Steve died in the pool, could have been a trigger maybe?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Anela said:

I wasn't a fan of the abrupt ending, either. That is a big thing to leave it on, if she was going to admit to killing Steve.

It seems like an unpopular opinion reading through this thread but the ending left me wanting more as well 

On 11/19/2022 at 12:52 PM, bilgistic said:

Well, I sobbed through much of this episode. This show might be one of my favorites ever.

I had an intense 2.5-year-long friendship with a former coworker. I'd rarely laughed so hard as I did with her. We shared sorrows, too. She abruptly cut off all communication at the end of last year, and I never got an answer as to why. I still mourn the loss, but having had that brief, incredible, loving female friendship meant everything to me.

I think the ship on the horizon and the rowboat were parables. I believe that people come into our lives like ships—sometimes they are tied to our dock for life, and other times, they sail off after a while. Both are enriching and meaningful.

I hope Judy willed that beautiful house in Mexico to Jen!

I’m a guy but can relate in my own way.  Years back I met a friend through a social anxiety network after we had similar interests/stories/were guys around the same age with similar kind of issues.

We’d message each other for days yearly until one day he cut the chord and I never got an explanation.  He could be dead for all I know.  

In my case if he decided for whatever reason he didn’t want to be friends anymore it’s all good….  just wished I got closure 

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Like 2
  • Hugs 3
  • Sad 5
  • Love 6

It seems like an unpopular opinion reading through this thread but the ending left me wanting more as well 

Some people like those kinds of endings, I'm just not one of them. To this day there are fans who thought the Sopranos ending was brilliant; others continue to grumble. I've seen very few instances where that kind of ending works for me. In this case it undercut a finale that in all other ways was compelling, poignant and satisfying. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6
17 hours ago, Accidental Martyr said:

You can’t take an ankle monitor off without setting off an alarm. It kind of defeats the whole purpose of the thing.

The internet is full of tricks for that.

15 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Also, are we supposed to believe that Judy rowed herself off to the horizon in some sort of Viking funeral or did she take the whole bottle of pain meds to sail off into the sunset and die?

I assume she took the pills, and told Jen that in the note.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I guess I missed that detail.

It wasn't spelled out, but they made a point of bringing back that recurring giant pill bottle, and the talk about Judy staying, and then showing Judy had left a note saying where she was like Jen had asked her to do.  TV's version of overdosing is a very neat and simple death, so it would make sense for Judy to take pills and drift off to permanent sleep out on the water rather than opting to just bob around out there until she died of dehydration-induced organ failure.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4

I felt that when Jen was at the FBI agents room and he started choking on the scone and looking like it was really going to end it for him, was a test of her guilt or non guilt. If she tried to save him with the heimlich maneuver that showed non guilt, and if she didn’t try to save a dying man who held all the evidence against her, well then, it pointed to her being truly guilty. 

I can’t see the female cop, I forget her name, being the one who killed the FBI agent in cold blood to cover for Judy and Jen. Nah, she was just not that kind of person.. so it must have been the greeks who did it. At the end where Jen told Ben she had to tell him something, I can only think it would have been to tell him the truth about his brother Steve, and why. Steve treated his brother with the same over the top cruel verbal abuse that sent Jen over the edge, so, they have that common ground which would make Ben have a complete understanding on the “why”, of it all. 
I too, bawled at the ending, but boy, that little baby girl Joey was absolutely beautiful! Did not look like either of them though.

• Love 3

I think the scone was a fake out, since Jen gave him a plausible excuse for the DNA. And  if the FBI guy had died of poison, that would open up an entirely new can of worms. Of course, Jen wouldn’t have been too upset if he had choked to death, but she didn’t deliberately poison him. 
 I didn’t  dislike season 2, but I laughed out loud more times in season 3 than in both previous seasons together. The banter between the two was hilarious, even when they were talking about horrendous things. I mean, Bitch Cassidy? 
The ending had a definite Beaches vibe. Linda Cardinelli even looked like Barbara Hershey by the end there. 
I did laugh at the concept of them escaping to a beach vacation, considering that they literally live in Laguna Beach, with the ocean practically at the doorstep. 
All of Steve’s assets were seized by the FBI, and his accounts frozen, which is why Jen couldn’t cash the huge check. But apparently the FBI either didn’t know about the Mexican beach house, or they couldn’t touch it because it’s in Mexico. Ben might very well inherit it, which would be very nice for Jen and him. Ben’s a lovely guy, when sober, so hopefully the rehab sticks. 
Did Jen tell him about killing Steve at the end? Possibly. They might have reached the point where he could accept it. 
I guess Jen’s financial woes are over, since Ben is due to inherit that huge house, and if the case against Steve is ever closed, that check can be cashed, since that money seems to have been more or less legit, though Judy did have that larcenous side and knew that the sale of her paintings was bogus. 
My daughter told me about this show over turkey on Thanksgiving and I just finished bingeing it over leftovers. I loved it. 

• Love 2

I love that we finally saw what the cranes were going to be used for, and they looked so lovely hung across the church like that. Henry really had no rhythm, poor thing. But he was always so enthusiatic.

I think the Greeks killed Glenn, and Perez stole the files of the Steve investigation, as we saw in her car. The ending was a bit too neatly tied up, but I wonder if they had to rewrite it a bit to accommodate CA's limitations. I thought from that aspect the show was quite good. CA sat down a lot, but I never felt like it was forced. 

I hope Judy told Jen about the rest of the money in the paintings.

• Love 3

I was disappointed by Judy's character ignoring an irregular pap smear, early detection could have saved her (I know it was her cancer diagnosis what drove the season) but she was supposedly very connected to her health, the universe, the zen stuff, how could she as a mature woman ignore a bad pap smear?

13 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

I did laugh at the concept of them escaping to a beach vacation, considering that they literally live in Laguna Beach, with the ocean practically at the doorstep. 

I have a friend with a beach house on the Jersey shore, she rarely uses it then all winter complains how she just wants to sit on a beach somewhere and wants me to go some expensive resort with her, her brother lives on the water in Key West too...she can go for free but never does.  All Judy and Jen would have to do is roll down the hill and they would have been at the beach so yeah, going all the way to Mexico was funny.  They walk in to a house that has been closed up for almost a year and had no food with them?

Was Jen worried about all the mushrooms, pot and booze she ingested and the affect it might have had on the baby? Did she say anything about that?  Who took care of Henry (the other one is old enough to do that but I cannot think that he would cook and do laundry and get Henry to where ever he had to be), Henry seemed to be an afterthought for Jen.

I think at one time or another we all have had pain meds prescribed, I have never been given a large bottle full of them and certainly never had a nurse write a script for them in such a large quantity and so easily after saying I had some past medical issue, not seeing a neurologist to examine me...I am being too picky about reality on this issue?

Personally, James Marsden is not a hill I would die on.  

Did anyone else think that Officer Nick Prager just never went home, like that one co-worker we all have had where they never stopped working even on weekends, they would brag about all the hours they put in but never really produced? 

On 11/20/2022 at 4:37 PM, Lebanna said:

Loved the crushing disappointment of the Grief Groupies at Jen naming her kid Joey instead of Judy. You don’t have to name your kid after someone to remember them. 

For me it made sense, in my religion, (Jewish), we never name someone after anyone living and we don't use the actual name, typically if we need an "A" name (a relative that recently died or someone close to you that has passed away whose name begins with an A or whatever), for example, don't do Juniors or II's etc.. I liked Jen's choice of Joey.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I think at one time or another we all have had pain meds prescribed, I have never been given a large bottle full of them and certainly never had a nurse write a script for them in such a large quantity and so easily after saying I had some past medical issue, not seeing a neurologist to examine me...I am being too picky about reality on this issue?

Judy stole that bottle from the hospital. She stole the nurses badge and went into the storage and stole it. It was most likely a bulk bottle that’s used to fill a smaller prescription bottle, which is why she had so many. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 3

All of Steve’s assets were seized by the FBI, and his accounts frozen, which is why Jen couldn’t cash the huge check.

That doesn't really make sense though. Judy and Steve had a joint bank account, which Judy closed out. I'm pretty sure that was a cashier's check. Once the money is out of the bank, the FBI wouldn't be able to touch it. I don't think you can "freeze" a cashier's check. When Steve went to the bank the teller told him the account had been closed, so the money was definitely gone. It wasn't still sitting there waiting for a check to be cashed.

Was Jen worried about all the mushrooms, pot and booze she ingested and the affect it might have had on the baby? Did she say anything about that?  

No and I thought about that too. She was pretty far along and still drinking.

Who took care of Henry (the other one is old enough to do that but I cannot think that he would cook and do laundry and get Henry to where ever he had to be), Henry seemed to be an afterthought for Jen.

Jen asked Christopher to look after both boys.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I was disappointed by Judy's character ignoring an irregular pap smear, early detection could have saved her (I know it was her cancer diagnosis what drove the season) but she was supposedly very connected to her health, the universe, the zen stuff, how could she as a mature woman ignore a bad pap smear?

This tracks for me. Judy leaned more toward the woo-woo side of wellness, and I have no trouble believing she thought she could deal with it holistically. She was also pretty good at avoiding things when she wanted to. I can see wanting to delay knowing what the bad pap smear might mean.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Well, like she said, it was an astoundingly unusual year, with a lot of crazy shit distracting her.  That was necessary to fuel Jen's desperation to save her to something even more than a best friend would feel under normal circumstances, because she felt that Judy's illness and potential death was her fault for killing Steve and involving Judy in the cover-up, but it works as an explanation for delaying a recommended follow-up, especially in someone who always looks on the bright side.

• Like 3
On 11/25/2022 at 10:43 PM, BlueSkies said:

I’m a guy but can relate in my own way.  Years back I met a friend through a social anxiety network after we had similar interests/stories/were guys around the same age with similar kind of issues.

We’d message each other for days yearly until one day he cut the chord and I never got an explanation.  He could be dead for all I know.  

In my case if he decided for whatever reason he didn’t want to be friends anymore it’s all good….  just wished I got closure 

Sorry. I’ve been cut off by a good friend of many years with no explanation as well as online “friends”. Why the **** do people do that? I’ve wondered for 30 years why my good friend cut me off. It’s a terrible thing to do to someone. People ARE strange. 
I thought we needed a longer season. Wasn’t happy with the ending either. 

• Hugs 1
  • Love 5
55 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

Sorry. I’ve been cut off by a good friend of many years with no explanation as well as online “friends”. Why the **** do people do that? I’ve wondered for 30 years why my good friend cut me off. It’s a terrible thing to do to someone. People ARE strange. 
I thought we needed a longer season. Wasn’t happy with the ending either. 

Did you try and reach out too the person?

Yeah the first time that happened to me where I had a real hard time getting over it was with an ex co worker.  I valued her as a friend and her insights. 

Until she left the company I worked in, told me she was getting separated and that was the last I ever heard of her.  I mean you’d think she could have just told me if I made her uncomfortable or whatever versus just ending everything.  I’m convinced though that girl might have represented Satan years later 

• Love 3
On 11/25/2022 at 10:43 PM, BlueSkies said:

I was a member of a few social anxiety sites/networks, too, years ago. I was just cut off by one guy who decided he was never going to improve. I've had it happen with other people online, too, and that's the main thing I don't like about the internet: people are seen as disposable. 

This should probably have gone into small talk. Sorry.

• Hugs 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Anela said:

I was a member of a few social anxiety sites/networks, too, years ago. I was just cut off by one guy who decided he was never going to improve. I've had it happen with other people online, too, and that's the main thing I don't like about the internet: people are seen as disposable. 

This should probably have gone into small talk. Sorry.

Aah all good imo

it might explain why we felt we wanted to see closure at the end of the show 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

Did you try and reach out too the person?

Yeah the first time that happened to me where I had a real hard time getting over it was with an ex co worker.  I valued her as a friend and her insights. 

Until she left the company I worked in, told me she was getting separated and that was the last I ever heard of her.  I mean you’d think she could have just told me if I made her uncomfortable or whatever versus just ending everything.  I’m convinced though that girl might have represented Satan years later 

Yes I did. Many times. Even tried reaching out to her family. They all ignore me. And I have no idea why I did not do anything to this person and as a matter of fact you could say she was the worse friend. Me thinks she has issues + I’m better off.😄 Too bad it took to long for me to realize it. I’m more pissed than anything else for the Sh**ty treatment. 
I think we’re thinking along the same lines that these people were not nice at all.  mine even professed to be a Christian but well let’s not get into that, and they were really evil.

• Applause 1
  • Love 4

I like that we saw Jen take Judy's advice that to have a proper life with Ben she was going to have to be honest with him, but didn't actually have to sit through her explaining to him everything we already knew.  The show was about Jen and Judy, so to end on an extended talk between Jen and Ben would have annoyed me. 

I have to go back and re-watch the episodes I binged because I couldn't wait until I got back in town to find out how it ended, because I don't properly absorb them when I plow through like that.

• Like 3
On 11/29/2022 at 6:57 AM, BlueSkies said:

Did Christina’s health concerns have anything to do with why the show may have ended as it did? 

I have the same question.  Would there have been more seasons if not for her diagnosis, I wonder.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Enjoyed it and really great acting. ...But they don't call me TVbitch for nothin', so here are my quibbles: I did not want Jen to get off scot-free. I did not actually see her as someone to root for, and the whole second season I kind of hate watched wanting her to get caught! I also wanted the cops to get busted for covering up crimes and tampering with evidence. I also don't like that the kids will never know the truth about anything. And now Ben will have to lie to them too, if Jen tells him the truth. 

However, the show was so unrealistic in general, that I forgave all that and just enjoyed it as a well-acted caper. It almost seemed like film noir got put in a blender with screwball comedy and whatever came out was pretty unique and cool. 

I'm not entirely sure, but I think I would have been happier if it ended with a shot of Judy on some island with all the money and free of all the mess because everyone will believe she is dead. There were a couple times toward the end when I thought she maybe had one last card she was gonna play. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

I just love when shows get so many things right. The music, the styling, the acting, the story. 

Was it perfect? No. But I thought 3 seasons was enough. 

And I choose to believe that Jen was NOT going to tell Ben the truth. It’s just not who she was. And I loved it. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I did not want Jen to get off scot-free. I did not actually see her as someone to root for, and the whole second season I kind of hate watched wanting her to get caught! I also wanted the cops to get busted for covering up crimes and tampering with evidence.

That's what blows me away about how much I loved this series -- it is astoundingly rare for me to enjoy an eh, it's okay to get away with homicide if the victim is an asshole story, and virtually unheard of for me to swallow police misconduct.  But this was the exception.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I finally finished this up.  I thought it was good, though I wondered about how Judy would go down and how her body would be found. 

I liked how their friendship developed.  I’ve had some awesome friendships that ended, but that’s how life works out.  Circumstances change and people change over time.  Not every friendship is destined to last indefinitely, imo.  And, sometimes it difficult to say goodbye to friends.  I think that’s why they may not formally end things.  That’s JMO.  I’ve had to walk away before and there wasn’t a good way to explain why.  

My favorite part was when Judy and Jen were riding down the highway, (I presume Federal HW 1) in the sunshine with the windows down and listening to awesome music on the radio!  It’s on my bucket list for sure!  Even though it’s not Ventura Hw, I still envision this song 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 2
  • Love 1