Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Attack Ad

• Start Topic

The teachers are appalled after seeing a commercial in support of charter schools criticizing Abbott Elementary. When students begin to transfer schools, Jacob, Ava and Melissa invite the leader of the charter school organization to Abbott and ask him to take down the ad. Elsewhere, Janine and Gregory talk about Janine’s relationship with Tariq.

Airdate: 11/02/2022

"I'm in talks to plan Nick Cannon's next baby shower."

That gave me a really good laugh. I also loved the whole "red light, green light" bit at the beginning with Gregory and Jacob and the kids. 

But oof, what an awkward return between Tariq and Janine. I'm so glad she's taking the right lessons from her breakup with him. I get the temptation, I get why she considered it, but yeah, smart move, Janine. A night in watching a good movie sounds perfect. I also liked how Gregory gave her a bit of a heads up about Tariq's intentions and remained supportive, yet also knew to step back when Janine said so. And of course he'd know her favorite movie :). 

Really liked the main storyline, too, especially the tension surrounding the Legendary guy being a former student of Barb's, and how that affected the commercial. I knew Barb would come through in the end to stand up for her school, though, and I especially loved the show calling out those who keep trying to put the blame on public schools for everything. Also liked Jacob's phone call bit (and LOL at the Timothee Chalamet comparison XD). 

But judging from the guy's comments at the end, I'm guessing this storyline isn't over just yet? Which, if that's the case, could get really interesting, and I'd be curious to see where that goes. 

• Like 3
  • Love 15

The commercial was hilarious, but I loved Gregory's look to Jacob when he started barking in the video.
I don't know why, but I love it when they show Melissa stomping up to people in the background.

I don't get Gregory, he flirts in front of Janine, but tries to warn her off of Tariq in a jealous manner.  I'm glad she told him that it was none of his business.  I'm not sure if his last look to the camera was smug or relieved.  I hope Janine gets a love interest that isn't Gregory.

I'm surprised the CEO made that comment about Barbara being the only competent teacher at Abbott in front of the others.  Uh-oh at his plans for Abbott.

• Like 1
  • Love 10

Leslie Odoms! I didn’t know he was guest starring. He was smooth

Tariq had a girlfriend and was still trying to get with Janine? And he did the Legendary Schools jingle. Both a little success and not much succes

• Like 1
  • Love 14
18 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Leslie Odoms! I didn’t know he was guest starring. He was smooth

Thank you!!! It was driving me crazy trying to pull his name out of my brain! (I only watched "Hamilton" a hundred times.)

I bet he'll be back.

Edited by JeanJean
  • Like 1
  • Love 6

I never would have guessed that Tariq would loom so large this season. I hope that was the last we hear of him - they tried to show us his good side in the past, but he's a pretty awful person. He was clearly trying to cheat on his current girlfriend. And talking about their sex life in front of Janine? He's just gross.

• Like 5
  • Love 11
27 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

I never would have guessed that Tariq would loom so large this season. I hope that was the last we hear of him - they tried to show us his good side in the past, but he's a pretty awful person. He was clearly trying to cheat on his current girlfriend. And talking about their sex life in front of Janine? He's just gross.

Janine should have sold Tariq's stuff that would have solved her financial problems. I wonder if some of the kids who left for the charter will get sent back to Abbott. Kudos to Janine for realizing what a user Tariq was.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

So proud of Janine! Tariq is a charmer, but a loser.  Glad Janine sent him literally and figuratively packing. Hate the charter school idea, won't get too detailed, but I had 3 kids transfer from charter to my public school class last year- and their skills were low. (In fairness, am certain than many transfers from public to charter also lack foundational skills).

Of course Tariq stole the jingle.  And the Nick Cannon baby shower gig. Bwwaaahhh

Edited by BAForever
  • Like 1
  • Love 13

Sometimes Ava talks so fast I have trouble catching it all, but did I hear a quick line “I was watching that show Gourders, about people who hoard pumpkins” ??  I think that’s what I heard, and it cracked me up.

I always love to see Leslie Odom Jr. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, Shorty186 said:

maybe he and Sheryl Lee Ralph can duet

I would fall completely out. I love Leslie Odom’s voice. (He, like Quinta, is from Philly, BTW.)

When the kids started moving in slow motion when Gregory said “yellow light,” I cackled. The kids are so great.

2 hours ago, BAForever said:

And the Nick Cannon baby shower gig.

That was one of those “you ain’t right!” moments. (I have opinions about Nick Cannon.)

11 hours ago, peridot said:

I don't get Gregory, he flirts in front of Janine, but tries to warn her off of Tariq in a jealous manner.

Did he know she was there? Janine’s doleful look at the camera was so sad.

Tariq is a loser but he’s funny. Him dropping the flowers when Barbara called him out was another cackling moment for me.

• Like 1
  • Love 19

Poor Janine - learning to say "sit down" in an authoritative voice was one of her professional successes last season, and now it's in a commercial as a bad thing.

Barbara's high-five in the commercial was great.

I was glad Janine shut Gregory down when he was pulling that passive-aggressive nonsense.

Loved that Gregory is still working in the garden, and his reaction to being caught in the act was hilarious. If Jacob ever catches him, he will never hear the end of it.

Tariq not only doesn't know Janine's favorite movie, he can't even come up with strong guesses. I mean, Up wasn't a totally terrible guess, but Us? There is no way Janine's favorite film would be a horror one.

• Love 16

I thought Gregory was right to let Janine know what Tariq was up to. The message would have been a lot better coming from Jacob than Gregory, what with the sexual tension between him and Janine, but I think Gregory's actions came from a good place.

Janine inviting Tariq back into her home would have been a terrible move. She had already (wisely) decided to meet with him in a neutral place, and Tariq ignored her wishes, and kept pushing her boundaries. He had an agenda, and was dumb enough to let Gregory in on it. A good friend would have checked in with her about it.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

Tariq not only doesn't know Janine's favorite movie, he can't even come up with strong guesses. I mean, Up wasn't a totally terrible guess, but Us? There is no way Janine's favorite film would be a horror one.

He just knew it had an "uh" sound in it. Which, I guess he was right, depending on how you pronounce Jumanji.

• LOL 10
  • Love 1

Yes, nice to see Leslie Odom, Jr.!

The actor who plays Tariq is really good. He plays a charming loser so effortlessly.

I thought Tariq was making up a girlfriend just to make Janine jealous.

Janine's friend spoke the truth about breaking up in a public place. If my parents had done that, I wouldn't be here 😁

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Like 2
  • LOL 13
  • Love 9

Tariq, the accidental villain of the Abbot-verse. That commercial was such a dick move, every problem that Abbot has is because of budget issues (and Ava) and infrastructural, not the teachers. Not cool, Leslie Odom, Jr. While the commercial might be gone for now, it sounds like this isn't the last we will have seen of Barbara's former student turned charter school enthusiast. 

So glad that Janine wasn't sucked back into the Tariq blackhole, he can be fun but he's a major loser who she better off without. The guy who plays him is great, that perfect combination of charming and punchable. 

That opener with Gregory and Jacob playing Red Light Green Light was fun, especially as the story Jacob was telling just kept getting more and more wild every time he added new information. She was protesting working conditions...at a strip club...just outside the red light district...she got thrown into a cop car...but he was her cousin so he just took her home. 

Sure, Gregory could have been warning Tariq off as a concerned friend, but it could also be for less platonic reasons. Awwww he knows her favorite movie...

• Like 1
  • Love 7

I have strong feelings about for-profit charter schools operating in similar capacities as Legendary Schools, so the last scene with Draemond both saddened me and made me pretty mad. I'm not really looking forward to this storyline continuing, but I nevertheless once again applaud the AE show runners and writers for touching on real issues that public city schools face.

I caught two Hulu references in this episode. Last week I hand-waved the Marvel references because superhero costumes are popular Halloween costumes, but the Hulu references seemed more like "we have to meet our quota for Disney IP references this episode". And thus shoe-horning in mentions of Hulu with&without commercials. 

Loved seeing Leslie Odom Jr. on my screen. And yes! to whoever suggested him singing with Sheryl Lee Ralph! I would pay to see that, so the possibility of seeing it for free on TV is even better!

• Like 5
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Night Cheese said:

I have strong feelings about for-profit charter schools operating in similar capacities as Legendary Schools, so the last scene with Draemond both saddened me and made me pretty mad. I'm not really looking forward to this storyline continuing, but I nevertheless once again applaud the AE show runners and writers for touching on real issues that public city schools face.

Knowing how the showrunners feel about public Ed, I have a huge amount of faith that they will show how Abbott succeeds and thrives. And I will be cheering them on. 

• Like 4
  • Love 17

The more I see the interactions between Janine and Gregory, the more "friend" vibe I get from them.  Sometimes, Gregory even acts like a big brother to her.  At least that's what I see, lol.  I like them, but as actors they don't bring much chemistry to the table--just eyerolls at the camera.  I'd like to see how he acts with Amber.   

22 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

Knowing how the showrunners feel about public Ed, I have a huge amount of faith that they will show how Abbott succeeds and thrives. And I will be cheering them on. 

Absolutely. I have no doubt they'll do right by our heroes at Abbott. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
37 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

The more I see the interactions between Janine and Gregory, the more "friend" vibe I get from them.  Sometimes, Gregory even acts like a big brother to her.  At least that's what I see, lol.  I like them, but as actors they don't bring much chemistry to the table--just eyerolls at the camera.  I'd like to see how he acts with Amber.   

I was chuckling at the way that Gregory was standing while he was talking to Amber. He was leaning on the wall at almost a 45° angle. I wasn't sure if he was trying to be smooth or trying not to stand too close to her.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Boofish said:

The best part of this episode was no Ashley the Teacher's Aide. She went from being a fun Mr. Johnson type background character to the most annoying person (at least to me) at the school. I thought she would be a fun addition but I never need to see her again.

This actress played a similar role on the last season of Curb Your Enthusiasm, she seems to be making "annoying" her stock in trade 😀

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, desertflower said:

Sometimes Ava talks so fast I have trouble catching it all, but did I hear a quick line “I was watching that show Gourders, about people who hoard pumpkins” ??  I think that’s what I heard, and it cracked me up.

I always love to see Leslie Odom Jr. 

Yes! Not to be confused with the show about couponing savants that Janine recommended to Erica. Really, this show was so quick with its lines, from the aforementioned Nick Cannon dig to Ava’s line about how how “he’s coming in here all slick wearing Florsheims” or something like that. But what *killed* me was Barbara wistfully hoping that JIM GARDNER saw her commercial before it left the air! What a great throwback that was. 

i am going to convince myself that Janine’s favorite Jumanji is the first one with Robin Williams and Kirsten Dunst because it’s more faithful to the book. 

A strip club named Virgo’s must be the least sexy strip club I can think of! I am convinced Gregory is one. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 10
10 hours ago, desertflower said:

Oh, if that was said I totally missed it! Genius!

An exchange I liked was when the villain guy said “You have a Principal who knows more about the cast of Love Island than she knows about her students” and Ava said “Hey! AS much…”

• LOL 9
  • Love 10

Sometimes I'm not sure how much I like the Janine-Gregory thing. I adore him and like her but it's too much like watching Pam-Jim all over again. Been there, seen that. But I do realize the unspoken-crush-love thing is a literary trope that goes way back.  I kind of wish they had tweaked it a little - maybe not had them start liking each other "that way" until the show had been on a few years. Or something. I might be being too picky, though. It's a great show.

• Like 4
  • Love 8

"Legendary Schools.."  Curse you earwig!  Now I have California Love and Legendary schools bumping around in my head while envisioning Roger Troutman singing it.

I love the nice little easter eggs and call backs.  Barbara's hope that Jim Gardner saw her commercial before it got taken down.  Also I remember being happy with Janine saying 'Sit Down' in her no-nonsense deeper teacher voice during the Zoo balloon episode, only for the commercial to take it and make it extra scary with auditory manipulation.  LOL.

Tariq is such an awful boyfriend.  But, no lie, he is great with the kids.  I got a big stupid grin on my face when showed up at Janine's classroom and he was interacting with the kids.  But then he got jerky by the end.

Lots of great one-liners.

• Love 15
19 hours ago, Blakeston said:

He is, but in his defense (sorry!) they went out for 10 years and she enabled his infantile, entitled behavior the whole time. 

• Like 3
22 hours ago, peridot said:

I don't get Gregory, he flirts in front of Janine, but tries to warn her off of Tariq in a jealous manner.  I'm glad she told him that it was none of his business.  I'm not sure if his last look to the camera was smug or relieved.  I hope Janine gets a love interest that isn't Gregory.

Ooh, someone a little older, but smart and kinda nerdy.....Winston Duke as a widowed father and new transplant who's son joins Janine's class! But he's been a widower for a while and dated so none of that 'I'm still in love with my dead spouse' shit. 

Winston Duke. In glasses.....😍

• Like 1
  • Fire 4
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, mansonlamps said:

He is, but in his defense (sorry!) they went out for 10 years and she enabled his infantile, entitled behavior the whole time. 

Janine has low self esteem she probably thought Tariq was the best she could do. I'm tired of blaming women for men's behavior.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, kathyk24 said:

Janine has low self esteem she probably thought Tariq was the best she could do. I'm tired of blaming women for men's behavior.

Respectfully, if women keep treating men like the second coming of Christ, why would they even suspect their behavior was less than respectful or appropriate?

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, JeanJean said:

I can't remember who Jim Gardner was...

Yeah what @ZuluQueenOfDwarvessaid.  Also in Episode...2?  I think it was ...they showed Barbara, Melissa and Jacob hurrying to watch the morning news and Barbara has a big crush on him and his "non regional diction."  LOL.  Still one of my very favorite lines from the show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11