Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Book Bans and Guillotine Hands

Pallas
  • Start Topic

"And if you have a problem with it, you can make your own lending library and put in as much Ronald Reagan fanfiction as you want."

Hee. As for Harris, fight the good fight. 

I liked all the costumes. The end tag was a fun glimpse through the years, too :). 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 10

That was fun. I loved Darlene's costume and the book graveyard. Good for Louise making Halloween happen for Dan. The end was awesome and I look forward to a Darlene smackdown to the pearl clutching neighbor and whoever vandalized their lending library.

Has anyone else noticed that John Goodman has been slurring? Did he have a stroke? I can't find anything online. I hope he's ok.\

4 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

"And if you have a problem with it, you can make your own lending library and put in as much Ronald Reagan fanfiction as you want."

I laughed so loud I scared my cats.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 1
  • Love 6

How have I never noticed the space behind the stove before? I always thought it was up against a wall.

Well, if you want Halloween decorations so badly get your ass off the couch and do it.

Loved Dan dropping candy corn into the little library chimney and apologizing to any tiny people he might have crushed inside.

BEN FRANKLINSTEIN!!!! 🤣 

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 3
  • Love 5

I LOVED! all their costumes at the end.  Literary and punny!  I am glad, though, that they explained them all. I got Alice Cooper in Wonderland, but I don’t think I ever would have caught on to The Catcher in The Rye.  

And the blast from the past Halloween end tag was great.  The Alfalfanator!

• Like 4
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I LOVED! all their costumes at the end.  Literary and punny!  I am glad, though, that they explained them all. I got Alice Cooper in Wonderland, but I don’t think I ever would have caught on to The Catcher in The Rye.  

I figured out Darlene's just before she said it (when it clicked that they were all literary references). I kept trying to come up with some kind of baseball-related sandwich pun.

• Love 6

Loved this episode! and it was Louise's first Halloween episode with the family and since she and Dan got married. I laughed a lot with it...So much Louise was a bonus for me and I loved every one of her scenes and her costume it was very cute! Can't wait for next week episode! 

• Like 2
  • Love 9

The Conners: The Jaundice Continues.

They never mentioned that the library was defaced, right? We just saw it and then saw Darlene clean it up. I liked that...it was nice to not be hit over the head with something (unless they did mention in and then I take that back). 

I was so proud of myself because I got the Catcher in the Rye right away. I didn't get any of the rest.

• Applause 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8
On 10/25/2022 at 8:53 PM, One Tough Cookie said:

I'm skipping this one.

Why?

I loved the callback at the end to old Halloween episodes, from this show and OG Roseanne. Although Roseanne’s absence from the montage was pretty obvious.

What is with John Goodman’s mouth/voice/pronunciation? Do his dentures not fit properly? Surely someone of his means can get properly-fitting teeth. Or does he have something like Parkinson’s, affecting his speech?

Kind of ridiculous that people who constantly complain they have no money somehow come up with all those elaborate Halloween decorations, but that’s typical tv for you.

• Applause 1
  • Love 9

"And if you have a problem with it, you can make your own lending library and put in as much Ronald Reagan fanfiction in it as you want" was fantastic.  Go get 'em, Harris.

I liked this episode, which is almost always the case with Halloween episodes.  Yeah, the tag kind of reminded me how much better some of them have been (and how noticeable not paying Roseanne Barr to use any clips of her was), but it mostly just made me smile because even though I don't give a shit about Halloween in real life, I've always loved this family's love of it.

"You're the only one with a young kid; it's your fault for waiting to have one until seconds before your womb turned to stone" made me laugh, but I also found it sweet that Becky was upset that Beverly Rose wouldn't understand how much fun this was back when Becky was her age.  And it was great learning why Halloween became the Conners' big holiday to begin with.  (Except, of course, the Conner and Harris families hating each other isn't supported by canon, although we did only see them together for Thanksgiving once and that was many years later, so it's possible that's how they started.)

Another episode focused on the family's interactions with each other; maybe they're learning?

Did they even bother tossing in a line as to why Mark and Mary were elsewhere?

• Like 1
  • Love 7

It wouldn't be Halloween without the Conners going all out, and after the disappointment of last year, where I remember things being particularly half-assed, seeing how this episode ended was a MAJOR improvement. 

I especially liked Dan explaining to Louise how Halloween was a holiday that he and Roseanne could share together and be happy, and that's what made it better for them compared to Thanksgiving and Christmas, which involved their extended families and therefore brought them more stress.

And of course the Halloween montage was great! I liked that they included both shows.

(Which made me remember that season 10 didn't have a Halloween episode, because it aired in the spring--wasn't the first season the only one of the original series not to have a Halloween episode? I think even season 9 had one, even if it was weird like the majority of that season was.)

Finally, I got the feeling that montage was there because this will probably be the last season, and it makes the most sense to pay tribute to the show's signature holiday, Halloween. 

• Like 2
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, Shermie said:

Kind of ridiculous that people who constantly complain they have no money somehow come up with all those elaborate Halloween decorations, but that’s typical tv for you.

They were all old ones (except the hands in the candy bowls).  We saw Becky bringing the boxes from, um, somewhere — the basement, maybe?

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Aileen said:

I was so proud of myself because I got the Catcher in the Rye right away. I didn't get any of the rest.

I got Ben Franklinstein before he said it. (I had actually written in my original comment "Is that BEN FRANKLINSTEIN?!?!" but then he said it so I changed it.

Except for Darlene, I didn't really see enough of the others before they were said out loud to figure them out.

9 hours ago, Shermie said:

What is with John Goodman’s mouth/voice/pronunciation? Do his dentures not fit properly? Surely someone of his means can get properly-fitting teeth. Or does he have something like Parkinson’s, affecting his speech?

Someone has commented on this on almost every episode so far this season. One speculation is that he's doing it on purpose because the character wouldn't have the means for that. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

One speculation is that he's doing it on purpose because the character wouldn't have the means for that. 

That makes sense and later in the episode he was talking fine. I hope John Goodman is OK and this is an acting choice.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 4

Now that people have mentioned how bad everyone’s makeup is, I can’t unsee it. What in the world is up with that?

I never noticed before either and now I see it. Everyone has an orange face starkly contrasted by their white necks.

Kudos to the editors who went through all the classic Halloween episodes and eliminated any footage of Roseanne. Yet they included Michael Fishman who is not on this season. I wonder if they had to pay him or at least get his permission.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Kudos to the editors who went through all the classic Halloween episodes and eliminated any footage of Roseanne. Yet they included Michael Fishman who is not on this season. I wonder if they had to pay him or at least get his permission.

I wonder if this is a sign that we'll at least get some guest appearances from him this season, even if he's not a part of the main cast anymore?

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

How have I never noticed the space behind the stove before? I always thought it was up against a wall.

Right?! I noticed it before last night, but never in the old days!

They were stored, not new; we saw Becky unpacking them.

I was Alice Cooper in Wonderland a few years ago, so I was happy to see that one. I also liked Ben Franklinstein -- my friend did something similar a while back: FrankEinstein (we like the crossover costumes, I guess -- Admiral Snackbar, Darth Waiter, Snookie Stackhouse, Lucifer Ricardo...).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Right?! I noticed it before last night, but never in the old days!

I actually noticed it last week, but forgot to comment on it. But I had never noticed it before. Maybe it's to make space for a camera for certain angles...never seen the actors go back there.

5 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I was Alice Cooper in Wonderland a few years ago, so I was happy to see that one. I also liked Ben Franlinstein -- my friend did something similar a while back: FrankEinstein (we like the crossover costumes, I guess).

I'm a sucker for a good/bad pun, so I love any of those kinds of costumes.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Browncoat said:
13 hours ago, Shermie said:

They were all old ones (except the hands in the candy bowls).  We saw Becky bringing the boxes from, um, somewhere — the basement, maybe?

I know that, but they complained about poverty back in the day when they originally bought the stuff, so my comment stands.

Seems so odd that Mary and Mark weren’t there. Especially Mary, since Halloween is so kid-oriented. You’d think a kid who’s part of such a Halloween-loving family would actually be there for the big event. Obviously there’s some casting/contractual reason why she’s only around half the time, but it sure is awkward in an episode like this. The character really doesn’t need to be part of the show; there’s way too many people already. It would be so easy to write her out, and yet they don’t. Makes no sense.

• Like 4
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, Shermie said:

I know that, but they complained about poverty back in the day when they originally bought the stuff, so my comment stands.

Maybe they collected them from after Halloween sales throughout the years? They can be up to 75-90 percent off if you wait long enogh.

Beverly Rose is a cutie pie but not a good little actress. I don't know why she has more lines than DJ use to.

• Like 3
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

Maybe they collected them from after Halloween sales throughout the years? They can be up to 75-90 percent off if you wait long enogh.

Because the Connors have always been so financially shrewd and clever in the past? I don’t think so.

4 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

Beverly Rose is a cutie pie but not a good little actress. I don't know why she has more lines than DJ use to.

I agree on both points, but I do think her acting is getting a little better since the beginning.

• Like 2
  • Love 4

If you go to the Halloween stores around here (and the websites) on November 1, you can get so much stuff for so little dough! It's fun! That's how I got all my gothy tights, a few pieces of unexpectedly well-made clothing, and some of our year-round decor.

I'm not about to say they were always wise with their cash, but it's not like eschewing possibly discounted Halloween decorations would change their big-picture lives. Not unlike the "avocado toast" argument, a fun and decorative once-a-year celebration (that they all clearly really dug) is kind of a nothing thing to begrudge a working-class family for having. Low-income families are allowed to have a few extras.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Applause 4
  • Love 9
18 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

That was fun. I loved Darlene's costume and the book graveyard. Good for Louise making Halloween happen for Dan. The end was awesome and I look forward to a Darlene smackdown to the pearl clutching neighbor and whoever vandalized their lending library.

Has anyone else noticed that John Goodman has been slurring? Did he have a stroke? I can't find anything online. I hope he's ok.\

I laughed so loud I scared my cats.

5 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

That makes sense and later in the episode he was talking fine. I hope John Goodman is OK and this is an acting choice.

A couple of people have mentioned Dan’s slurring might be a character choice, while John Goodman could afford well fitting dentures Dan Conner probably couldn’t and/or Dan’s drinking is affecting his speech.  

I will say so looked up John Goodman interviews from this year because I was worried about his health and his speech sounded like “young” Dan Conner so maybe it really is just a character choice.

I was really worried because Dan Conner’s been my TV dad for years 😊 (despite his bad financial choices!) That’s why Uncle Phil from Fresh Prince was my TV uncle lol I could visit Bel Air when I wanted to be fancy 😂

• Like 3
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, SilverLake0315 said:

Now that people have mentioned how bad everyone’s makeup is, I can’t unsee it. What in the world is up with that?

It was especially bad in the kitchen scenes. I don’t know if it was lighting or a crappy makeup artist, but they all looked yellow when they were in the kitchen. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, SilverLake0315 said:

It looked almost as if they tried to match everybody to Dan's guillotine hand. Halloween episodes are not really my thing but I'm glad they're trying to give Harris some good storylines. I also enjoyed the running gag of the tiny library's chimney.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

I also enjoyed the running gag of the tiny library's chimney.

Me too.  My favorite part was when Ever Carradine's character came over to talk about the library, and Darlene asked if it was about the chimney, because that would mean her husband was right and that's a dynamic she's trying to keep out of her marriage, and the neighbor prefaced saying no, that's not the issue, with, "I've never actually seen a library with a chimney, but ..."

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, Bastet said:

It's your fault for waiting to have one until seconds before your womb turned to stone.

Line of the night, scared my cat from laughing so hard.

Harris was actually likeable this eppy and I loved her telling off the neighbor.  She has a nice shape too.

Beverly Rose may be cute but that voice is Annabelle distracting.

Loved Louise threatening everyone about participating for Halloween.

If I were Michael Fishman I'd be pissed, you fire me from the show yet use scenes with me in them?  Feck you, I'd want a cut!

• Love 4

Remember the episode where they did the Gilligan's Island parody? At the very end they had (the remaining) cast of Gilligan's Island playing Roseanne, Jackie, Darlene and I think Mark. That's the first time I ever noticed the space behind the stove because Tina Louise was standing behind it.

They were stored, not new; we saw Becky unpacking them.

I think it's a safe bet Darlene (or anyone else) has never gone as "The Catcher in the Rye" before. That was a this-episode specific gag. And these are not ordinary costumes you could buy at a shop. They are clearly elaborate, custom-made by a professional costume department. They might have left-over decorations but they had different costumes every year.

Seems so odd that Mary and Mark weren’t there. Especially Mary, since Halloween is so kid-oriented.

They said at the beginning of this season that Mary lives half the time with her maternal grandmother so it's possible she's spending Halloween there. But where the hell Mark was supposed to be is anyone's guess. I get they maybe can't pay everyone to be in every episode but when an absence is as obvious as this one you'd think they'd throw in a line about Mark being on a date or something, y'know? Lazy writing.

If I were Michael Fishman I'd be pissed, you fire me from the show yet use scenes with me in them?  Feck you, I'd want a cut!

Technically they are not allowed to use footage of him unless they have his permission. They don't have to pay him if he gives his OK (unless he makes that part of the deal) but they cannot use his image without his permission. There have been lawsuits over that type of thing (most notably from Crispin Glover).

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Technically they are not allowed to use footage of him unless they have his permission. They don't have to pay him if he gives his OK (unless he makes that part of the deal) but they cannot use his image without his permission.

I find that really interesting. Shows use clip episodes all the time, and clips of old shows are constantly shown here and there on tv, on entertainment programs and whatnot. So is it different with DJ and Roseanne? 

14 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

hink it's a safe bet Darlene (or anyone else) has never gone as "The Catcher in the Rye" before. That was a this-episode specific gag. And these are not ordinary costumes you could buy at a shop. They are clearly elaborate, custom-made by a professional costume department. They might have left-over decorations but they had different costumes every year.

This. So much this, which is the point I made upthread. They’re so poor they can’t pay all their necessary bills each month, but they can come up with elaborate costumes. 

5 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Low-income families are allowed to have a few extras.

Well, sure. But not if they can’t pay their hydro bill.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2

And these are not ordinary costumes you could buy at a shop. They are clearly elaborate, custom-made by a professional costume department. They might have left-over decorations but they had different costumes every year.

Maybe. But lots of us are more than capable of making really good costumes for fairly little money. I am (and Darlene's bread can be rented from a costume store; you don't need a professional costume department/designer). But, still, not renting/buying costumes once a year wouldn't have changed their financial woes in any significant way. 

Well, sure. But not if they can’t pay their hydro bill.

Maybe they have by this point -- seemed like all the utilities were up and running. And surely all of us have done something for ourselves even if there was some vaster financial obligation looming over us. Like, the tired old judgy old trope of the $5 Starbucks: even if forsaken, it wouldn't have helped pay my student loan any sooner. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3

I had decided to quit this show after the last episode but then I saw this was the Halloween episode and I had to wade in. I'm glad I did. This was a good solid Conner Halloween.

One of the most frustrating things about this show is when they act like we didn't spend nearly a decade with these characters. Jackie talking about her mother taking her trick or treating then stealing her candy annoyed me. This show has Jackie talk about Bev as if we never saw them interact. Bev had her issues but I don't see her making Jackie massage her legs while stealing Jackie's candy.  OTOH, Dan's description of why Halloween became so important in their family was a lovely bit of character-grounded writing. Dan and Rosanne came up in dysfunctional families where Thanksgiving and Christmas sucked (I can relate.) so they decided to embrace Halloween.

I agreed with Harris' stance here but she demonstrated something that annoys me about a certain crop of activists. She has no concern how her activism might negatively impact innocent people. Darlene paid the price, however minor, for Harris' politics alienating the neighbors.

"Catcher in the Rye" totally snuck up on me. I kept wondering why Darlene was dressed as a sandwich. Then I thought maybe it's a reuben which could be a callback to Louise's bar mitzvah gig. 

How do we get such awesome costumes on characters with such godawful makeup on these actors? Is spray tanning still a thing? Because that's the only explanation I can think of.

Edited by marceline
  • Like 3
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I didn't think that joke made any sense because some of the books listed were wanted to be banned (cancelled) by left wing interests.  Like To Kill a Mockingbird, which people didn't like because it portrayed a black person being saved by a white hero.  It's interesting they chose that book to ban, since a few years back it was #1 on many all time lists.  I thought it was impressive that they took the time to pick books that were wanted banned by both sides, but then screwed it up with Harris' joke.

I thought the best part of the show was the montage of Halloween costumes at the end.  Interestingly, the Goldbergs started with a similar montage, but it was nowhere near as effective.

• Love 1
On 10/26/2022 at 8:38 PM, ams1001 said:

Loved Dan dropping candy corn into the little library chimney and apologizing to any tiny people he might have crushed inside.

Until insects get in their and damage the books... (was going to say mice, but they'd have to chew through the wood first.)

I feel like the writers could only think of 2 Jewish things to associate with a bar mitzvah; brisket and dreidels.  While brisket could be served at a bar mitzvah, it's more of a Rosh Hashana (Jewish New Year) or Chanukah dish.  And speaking of Chanukah, it doesn't start until Dec 18 this year, so who would be handing out chocolate dreidels in October?  Unless it was a riff on typical Halloween loot, but I doubt it. To me, it's as if Louise was entertaining at an Irish event and expected to see corned beef and green beer in October.  Especially the green beer part.

On 10/26/2022 at 8:36 PM, theredhead77 said:

I loved Darlene's costume and the book graveyard.

On 10/26/2022 at 8:43 PM, Browncoat said:

I don’t think I ever would have caught on to The Catcher in The Rye.  

4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I think it's a safe bet Darlene (or anyone else) has never gone as "The Catcher in the Rye" before. That was a this-episode specific gag. And these are not ordinary costumes you could buy at a shop. They are clearly elaborate, custom-made by a professional costume department.

I thought it was a sandwich board joke (although I couldn't figure out the baseball uniform) and that she would have some 1st amendment message on the back.  Catcher in the Rye was much more clever, but where does one find a giant rye bread costume a day before Halloween?

4 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I am (and Darlene's bread can be rented from a costume store; you don't need a professional costume department/designer).

I suppose, but she was really lucky that Lanford happened to have one.  Unless it was left over from a promotion for a sandwich shop or something.

Ben's Ben Franklinstein costume was great, and I'm glad they mentioned that it already existed (hope he wins the contest-it's a really clever costume). 

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 2
  • Love 3
On 10/26/2022 at 11:04 PM, Aileen said:

They never mentioned that the library was defaced, right? We just saw it and then saw Darlene clean it up. I liked that...it was nice to not be hit over the head with something (unless they did mention in and then I take that back). 

I didn't get that.  Wouldn't the "snowflake" message be directed at people who were too "sensitive" to tolerate those particular books?

And if your 9-year-old obtains Lady Chatterley's Lover on her own, then perhaps you're not paying enough attention to your 9-year-old (although I doubt she'd understand any of the racy bits.)

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 4

Well, it’s not like people have to stay within the confines of their own town when they want to buy or rent something. That said, though, Lanford does kind of seem like a town where one might actually see people wearing sandwich shop promo outfits!

• Love 5

Pink foam insulation cut to size and shape, and a little paint are pretty cheap.  Those could even be leftovers from, say, a construction project, like a house renovation.  And two old belts can be repurposed for the straps.  The Catcher in the Rye doesn’t have to cost a lot to make.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

It really does look like they are all using QT tanning lotion from the 80s. And the lighting director should be fired - the show is all glare and shadows now.

Is the entrance to the basement on the same wall as the oven?

7 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I feel like the writers could only think of 2 Jewish things to associate with a bar mitzvah; brisket and dreidels.  While brisket could be served at a bar mitzvah, it's more of a Rosh Hashana (Jewish New Year) or Chanukah dish.  And speaking of Chanukah, it doesn't start until Dec 18 this year, so who would be handing out chocolate dreidels in October?  Unless it was a riff on typical Halloween loot, but I doubt it.

Thank you! I can give a pass to brisket, but the dreidel thing was way off. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I feel like the writers could only think of 2 Jewish things to associate with a bar mitzvah; brisket and dreidels.  While brisket could be served at a bar mitzvah, it's more of a Rosh Hashana (Jewish New Year) or Chanukah dish.  And speaking of Chanukah, it doesn't start until Dec 18 this year, so who would be handing out chocolate dreidels in October?  Unless it was a riff on typical Halloween loot, but I doubt it. To me, it's as if Louise was entertaining at an Irish event and expected to see corned beef and green beer in October.  Especially the green beer part.

I've only been to one Bar Mitzvah but I thought that seemed a tad off...

46 minutes ago, QQQQ said:

I thought it was on the other side past the pantry shelves...

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I've only been to one Bar Mitzvah but I thought that seemed a tad off...

I thought it was on the other side past the pantry shelves...

I'm trying to remember which episode they all headed down there (versus just being down there already)... Was it when Dan made a writing area for Roseanne?

Edited by QQQQ
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Superclam said:

Thank you! I can give a pass to brisket, but the dreidel thing was way off. 

Or "BRISTKET" - as the sign at a restaurant I pass on my way to work said this morning.

Now I want brisket.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, iMonrey said:

They said at the beginning of this season that Mary lives half the time with her maternal grandmother so it's possible she's spending Halloween there. But where the hell Mark was supposed to be is anyone's guess. I get they maybe can't pay everyone to be in every episode but when an absence is as obvious as this one you'd think they'd throw in a line about Mark being on a date or something, y'know? Lazy writing.

Actually I heard Dan mention to Louise when they were in the living room talking that Mark was off at college or something in this episode so he was mentioned definitely not lazy writing this time. 

Edited by ESS
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, QQQQ said:

That's where it was first located, but as the original series went on, they got sloppy with that, and I don't think they've been consistent on this one, either.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, ESS said:

Actually I heard Dan mention to Louise when they were in the living room talking that Mark was off at college or something in this episode so he was mentioned definitely not lazy writing this time. 

No, he was talking about next year.   Darlene, Ben, Becky and the kids would he moved out soon.  Mark would he going off to college soon.  That’s why he wanted to do Halloween this year.  
They didn’t explain Mark’s absence - but he does have a part time job.  Mary is supposed to be staying part time with her other grandmother while DJ is visiting his wife. No idea how long that visit is supposed to last.   

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 2
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

No, he was talking about next year.   Darlene, Ben, Becky and the kids would he moved out soon.  Mark would he going off to college soon.  That’s why he wanted to do Halloween this year.  
They didn’t explain Mark’s absence - but he does have a part time job.  Mary is supposed to be staying part time with her other grandmother while DJ is visiting his wife. No idea how long that visit is supposed to last.   

Ah okay I must have missed the next year part, thanks for clearing that up

• Love 1
On 10/27/2022 at 7:33 PM, rmontro said:

I didn't think that joke made any sense because some of the books listed were wanted to be banned (cancelled) by left wing interests.  Like To Kill a Mockingbird, which people didn't like because it portrayed a black person being saved by a white hero.  It's interesting they chose that book to ban, since a few years back it was #1 on many all time lists.  I thought it was impressive that they took the time to pick books that were wanted banned by both sides, but then screwed it up with Harris' joke.

That objection to To Kill a Mockingbird is a newer take, it's traditionally been banned for the use of racial slurs and the rape-centric plot. That, Huckleberry Finn, and a few others were always the go-to examples when book banning is used as a plot on TV and it is usually a certain demographic leading the charge to ban books, so Harris' joke seemed appropriate to me.

I had decided to quit this show after the last episode but then I saw this was the Halloween episode and I had to wade in. I'm glad I did. This was a good solid Conner Halloween.

This was a really solid episode all the way around. I find that I really like the way the actress plays Harris when she's not doing depressing shit like trying to marry/move in with a 38 year old loser. Harris with a purpose is an engaging character and it's much nicer when she and Darlene are at odds in a garden variety mother-daughter way and not waging total war.

I'm glad they made Sam and Darlene work out because I just love Jay Ferguson. His humor is right up my alley and I'm glad they found a way to keep him around. Also, between him and Louise, it's a welcome respite from the somewhat depressing legacy of Conners. 

I didn't realize he'd been fired, but since they never quite found a natural groove for him in the reboot, it makes sense, his absence isn't all that notable. But I liked seeing him in the old scenes, where Roseanne's absence WAS quite notable. 

Overall, this was a really nicely balanced episode and it was great to see them do something nice for someone for a change.

• Love 3