Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Book Bans and Guillotine Hands

Pallas
  • Start Topic

I find that really interesting. Shows use clip episodes all the time, and clips of old shows are constantly shown here and there on tv, on entertainment programs and whatnot. So is it different with DJ and Roseanne? 

The tricky bit is if an actor has left a show. Basically you cannot repurpose previously filmed footage, and that applies to any show (or film) or any actor. All of the actors in the flashbacks were already being paid for this episode . . . except Michael Fishman. That's why they need his permission to use it and apparently he gave it. Whether or not they had to pay him for it we'll probably never know. On the other hand, I'm guessing if they asked Roseanne permission to use footage of her for a flashback she would tell them where to go.

• Useful 3
On 10/26/2022 at 10:06 PM, Shermie said:

What is with John Goodman’s mouth/voice/pronunciation? Do his dentures not fit properly? Surely someone of his means can get properly-fitting teeth. Or does he have something like Parkinson’s, affecting his speech?

It’s really distracting and I’m hoping John Goodman isn’t ill.  Like everyone said, he would be able to afford properly fitting dentures and if it was a character choice I would think they would write that into the show and make a story out of it.

On 10/27/2022 at 5:20 PM, iMonrey said:

Technically they are not allowed to use footage of him unless they have his permission. They don't have to pay him if he gives his OK (unless he makes that part of the deal) but they cannot use his image without his permission. There have been lawsuits over that type of thing (most notably from Crispin Glover).

I didn’t know this.  I would think that his likeness within the context of the show would be the show’s property, like he agreed to be an actor and be filmed for the show so they can use that footage whenever they wanted (as long as it was in the same context)?

On 10/26/2022 at 7:38 PM, ams1001 said:

How have I never noticed the space behind the stove before? I always thought it was up against a wall.

I have always been curious about that space!  I notice it pretty much every episode and I always wonder what they are supposed to use it for.  The already have a kitchen table in the main room so what goes in that little square?  Or maybe we’re supposed to think its bigger and it’s a dining room but I can’t imagine the Conner household having a dining room.  There used to be a high chair propped up against the wall back there.   These are the things my brain decides to obsess over.

Im so mad at myself that I didn’t get Darlene’s costume right away, my husband actually figured it out before me and he hasn’t read a book in an embarrassingly long time (in my book snob opinion). I loved the running joke about the tiny chimney, it’s so out of character for Darlene to care about something like that I found it so funny.

Loved the ending montage.  I don’t usually like these “theme” type episodes, a lot of times they just feel forced. However Halloween is this show’s “thing” and I’m glad they are continuing the tradition.

Edited by mostlylurking
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Yes liberals ban boos but it is wrong when they do it too, pick newer books to add to the Literature courses and use older books in a historical context.  I don't mind at all books banned by liberals being in the book graveyard because books shouldn't be banned.   And while Harris was calling out republicans because they are the most vocal on this subject all book banning is wrong.  Period.  End of discussion.  And there are some books I cringe at the idea of children reading but I'm not keeping my kids from reading (The Giving Tree... UGH) but we will discuss it together so I can make sure they see that from my perspective the tree isn't so much a self sacrificing symbol of love as it is that the boy is a selfish twit.

On 11/3/2022 at 1:09 AM, lexiexx said:

Are we supposed to believe that Harris reads now?  

IIRC she had once planned to go to college but the Conners usual luck when it comes to financial planning prevented that?