Type keyword(s) to search

S34.E04: Everyone’s an Artist

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

I, too, was appalled at Sharik. apparently, she's on social media telling people to be nice because she's "neurodivergent" which was a term used for autism spectrum disorders but has been expanded to include others.

We've had other racers on the same spectrum who weren't quitters.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Netfoot said:

I think she just wanted out and if the challenge had been to eat a stick of candyfloss it would have been enough for her to be telling Phil "I had to eat candyfloss! Have you ever had to eat candyfloss?!??" I really wanted her to be thrown out of the game on the spot. We have had 700+ racers in the 34 seasons. Have there been even a half-dozen that just wanted to quit?

16 hours ago, marinite said:

I was hoping that Sharik would quit. She is such a pill. And then, when she rolled her eyes at Phil and said yes, she would continue. Gah. Go away.

I thought Phil was a lot nicer to her than many hosts would have been to someone who shit on his game.  Remember back when Jeff Probst used to be upset if someone wanted to quit, before he started bullying people he didn't like into quitting to save one of his faves who might have been in danger of going home?

Bye, Dom! Don't let the chisel hit you on the way out. 

Sharik really was out there pulling a Veruca. All that was missing was her stomping her feet and pounding her fists on the ground. Next time, Linton, enroll Sharik in pre-school and team up with someone who won't throw her bottle every time the word "roadblock" is mentionted. JFC.

• Love 1

Watching Phil talk to Sharik about wanting to quit . . . is it any wonder why I consider him to be the superior host compared to Jeff and Julie. If he doesn't actually give a shit, he sure is fooling me. He cares. Probst would've been kicking Sharik away so she could give him and he could unload on her. TJ Lavin would've been an asshole about it as well.

Yes, I know Sharik and Dom look hard to deal with, but it does show that TAR casting is great if you don't crave out-and-out villains. My biggest compliant about casting is the constant stream of Big Brother people that floods the show. For the most part, those guys are assholes. Hell, between that, watching "hamsters" compete on The Challenge (especially the likes of Fessy and Josh) and the occasional report about disasters taking place during any given season, is it any wonder why I still cringe at the idea of Derek & Claire winning? He seems nice here and he wasn't a jagoff on Challenge USA, but he's still Big Brother. For the most part, that's as bad as things get on TAR. There's probably a wall-sized poster of Jonathan Baker with the plate proclaiming "Not Again. Never Again."

That said, I should start taking notes, especially if I'm going to keep posting on the live thread and miss stuff. Marcus & Michael looks to be the favorites. Emily & Molly have the best story and a first-place finish making the case that they belong. And I'm thankful Glenda and Lumumba are still in there. There were rocky moments, but Glenda looked to be rolling with the punches. Apart from them, Derek/Claire and maybe Quinton & Mattie, the others are a blur for me.

I have to confess . . . going into that Roadblock, my first thought would have been that I was being asked to actually make a statue, as opposed to just chipping away the exterior to reveal it. I also figure that I would've put things together a lot faster than Dom. Seeing Rich in a yoga pose, my first thought was that he was trying to will himself away from his body and Dom.

It's cute that the Plague-minimizing take-out services in Florence came back in fashion during the pandemic. It also looked like a drive-thru window. Please tell me I'm not the only one thinking that.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Regarding Big Brotherhood, on their YouTube recap for the third episode, Dereck said he was suspicious during the cheese detour when Marcus told him where they needed to go. He said on Big Brother it would have been a lie, but on AR Marcus was being helpful. 

• Love 1

Late to posting since I took a drink every time they said MEGA LEG and woke up 40 hours later.

Killer Fatigue and haven’t even left the continent yet. I have to believe Sharik lied about her age to get on the show and is actually 16, because she was irritating as hell to listen to.

Luis plays to the camera every chance he gets and is getting in my nerves. I hoped he actually would eat some of the food and have to redo the detour.

Dom must’ve really been annoying to the other teams since nobody even considered clueing her in that in fact they were not all artistic prodigies who had created intricate sculptures in under an hour. Not that I blame them.

I haven’t watched Big Brother since Boogie won All -Stars so I’ll take everyone’s word that Derek is great. So far though I haven’t been impressed. He strikes me as a passive aggressive meltdown waiting to happen if they continue moving down the leader board.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, iMonrey said:

We've had other racers on the same spectrum who weren't quitters.

"Neurodivergent" isn't a spectrum. It's an umbrella term for a bunch of different conditions. Those conditions then can be a spectrum. Like autism or ADHD are both a spectrum, but not on the same spectrum. They are even caused by completely different parts of the brain not working quite as intended.

That being said, I agree. Sharik is just a quitter.

Kim, from last season, had massive anxiety issues and considered quitting, but never during a leg, only in the quiet opressive downtime in the hotel room, during a time where they couldn't go out due to covid. When you are doing tasks you just have to buckle down and get through it. Interestingly though, she wasn't the neurodivergent one of their team. But Sharik also cited her anxiety as the reason before starting with the neurodivergent-stuff, so I think the comparison fits.

11 hours ago, bankerchick said:

I thought Phil was a lot nicer to her than many hosts would have been to someone who shit on his game.  Remember back when Jeff Probst used to be upset if someone wanted to quit, before he started bullying people he didn't like into quitting to save one of his faves who might have been in danger of going home?

I mean Jeff Probst is... how do I say that politely?... not a nice human being. I'm not sure we should set him as the bar for how a host should act.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 10/15/2022 at 12:02 AM, Quilt Fairy said:

Every time I see Glenda in a talking head, she reminds me of someone, but I can't think who.  Anyone?

Yes! I had the same nagging thought. For me, I figured out she reminds me of chef Tiffany Derry from Top Chef and Bar Rescue. 
image.jpeg.0daa24b056246d18ff5987495cfa6c31.jpeg

Nice to see she married Kevin Hart. Cute couple. 

Edited by Tango64
  • Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5

So impressed with Molly and Emily so far.  They remind me so much of Kat and Nat - they were also two really competent, intelligent women that got shit done with a minimum amount of drama.  I really hope that they are in it for the long haul.

• Like 2
  • Love 8

My favorite part of the show was the Amazing Cameraman showing the final two teams in the same shot as they were completing different ends of the Detour.  No fake tension.  There have been times they've cut back-and-forth between two teams to make it look like they are running neck-and-neck, but you can tell by the difference in light they're hours apart.

• Love 8
On 10/13/2022 at 2:55 PM, Boadicea said:

OMG, not the dreaded “folding table napkins“ task? I wouldn’t blame her for trying to run away from that. Do you have any idea how many Bothans died to accomplish that? 

"Have you ever folded napkins, PHIL???!!!"

On 10/15/2022 at 7:20 PM, Lantern7 said:

My biggest compliant about casting is the constant stream of Big Brother people that floods the show. For the most part, those guys are assholes. Hell, between that, watching "hamsters" compete on The Challenge (especially the likes of Fessy and Josh) and the occasional report about disasters taking place during any given season, is it any wonder why I still cringe at the idea of Derek & Claire winning? He seems nice here and he wasn't a jagoff on Challenge USA, but he's still Big Brother. For the most part, that's as bad as things get on TAR. There's probably a wall-sized poster of Jonathan Baker with the plate proclaiming "Not Again. Never Again."

But Derek and Claire and two of the nicest people that have ever been on Big Brother!

(Too nice, if you ask me.)

On 10/15/2022 at 10:34 PM, dmeets said:

I haven’t watched Big Brother since Boogie won All -Stars so I’ll take everyone’s word that Derek is great. So far though I haven’t been impressed. He strikes me as a passive aggressive meltdown waiting to happen if they continue moving down the leader board.

Granted, I don't know the man, but "passive aggressive meltdown" is not something that I would associate with Derek. He and Claire are very kind. 

Something I noticed, though, Claire frequently uses terms of endearment to refer to him. He doesn't. 

Edited by Blissfool
  • Love 2

My god, I hated Sharik's ridiculous behavior.  Did she think she could skate through the entire race doing nothing while her dad completed all the tasks?  And then to sulk like a four year old and want to quit because she finally had to do something and it wasn't easy?  I wish Phil had told her to hit the bricks instead of coddling her and begging her to keep going.  Her poor dad has the patience of a saint, but he really should have put a figurative boot in her ass.

I loved Derek and Claire on BB, but they're rather dull here.  I still hope they do well, but I think I'm rooting for Team Tall Wife, Short Husband to win.  Love their attitudes!

• Like 1

I really like Linton, and I think it's great that a daughter would want to do the race with her dad.  Up until this episode, I really like Sharik.  But honestly, she has anxiety and she still decides to go on TAR?  Which, assuming she has ever watched the show, is a high-stress, very high-anxiety, environment?  People who don't have anxiety get anxious while on the race.  Just a recipe for disaster, and the show got the high drama they wanted by casting her.  I hope they can pull it together and continue after getting some rest at the pit stop.

On 10/13/2022 at 5:06 AM, PurpleTentacle said:

Rich: "I'm asking you to trust me because I'm the navigator."

Me: "Why in the everloving fuck are you the navigator?! You are the driver!"

Is Dom really so useless that she can't navigate at all? Well that would fit with what we heard last week about her, that she can't read a map.

So thrilled that Dom is gone.  I don't know how Rich can stand being around her.  She always has to be right.  An episode or two ago, he's driving, she's looking at a map, he patiently asks her if she can read the map and locate where they are.  She calmly replies "I cannot".  This episode, he's driving, he's looking at road signs, he thinks he missed one.  She goes on and on and on, "if you're driving, you need to be looking at the signs, do you think you can do that?  You can do that, right?"

I think his "I'm the navigator" was a passive aggressive way of pointing out that he was doing everything.  Usually the person who is NOT driving is the navigator, but it seems she cannot do either.  And then has the gall to complain that he's doing it wrong.

20 hours ago, aemom said:

So impressed with Molly and Emily so far.  They remind me so much of Kat and Nat - they were also two really competent, intelligent women that got shit done with a minimum amount of drama.  I really hope that they are in it for the long haul.

Also, Amy and Maya the food scientists.  And another winning pair of sisters, Keisha and Jen in their second appearance.  I don't think any of these all-female teams ever really argued, although it's been a while since I've seen these seasons so my memory could be faulty.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I know I'm almost a week late getting to this but OMG.  Could Sharik and Dom be any more annoying????  The constant whining, the moping, the feeling sorry for themselves.  Look, you want to go home?  Fine.  Go home.  Quit.  Both of you  Let Linton and Rick race together.  They'd have more fun than with you two whiny anchors.

Now with one diva gone maybe we get to know some of the other couples.

I hate the 10pm slot.  It means I have to dvr and don't get to watch for days.  Pretty sad since this used to be my very favorite, must watch show.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

I hate the 10pm slot.  It means I have to dvr and don't get to watch for days.  Pretty sad since this used to be my very favorite, must watch show.

Same problem here - this was my laundry show - so now it gets pushed to weekend. 😢

• Love 1
On 10/16/2022 at 2:29 PM, Tango64 said:
On 10/15/2022 at 12:02 AM, Quilt Fairy said:

Every time I see Glenda in a talking head, she reminds me of someone, but I can't think who.  Anyone?

Yes! I had the same nagging thought. For me, I figured out she reminds me of chef Tiffany Derry from Top Chef and Bar Rescue. 
image.jpeg.0daa24b056246d18ff5987495cfa6c31.jpeg

Nice to see she married Kevin Hart. Cute couple

Why do you think she is married to Kevin Hart? Or just saying they would be a cute couple? They are both married to other people. 

I like her a lot, by the way, I think she's very smart and has good critiques on cooking shows.

41 minutes ago, jabRI said:

Why do you think she is married to Kevin Hart? Or just saying they would be a cute couple? They are both married to other people. 

I like her a lot, by the way, I think she's very smart and has good critiques on cooking shows.

They are just saying that Glenda looks like Tiffany Derry, and Lumumba looks like Kevin Hart. Since Glenda and Lumumba are married, the joke is that Tiffany and Kevin are married and running the race.

Edited by tracyscott76
Clarity

I must say, I was really enjoying all the teams this season ... up until this episode.

Sharik might have just won the trophy for most piss poor attitude in the history of TAR, and after 34 seasons that's saying a LOT. You did ONE roadblock, ONE; after having your father do three in a row. You're not even racing for last place at that point, and you're already done? So you have anxiety, you know your limitations. Then don't go through the long process of applying for the show, taking up a spot, and then making yourself look like a brat on national TV. I wish she had just quit on the mat, I honestly have no desire to see her on my screen again even if her attitude improves next week. It was ONE roadblock !!!

I liked Dom and Rich as a couple. Their complementary personalities clearly worked in their favor, considering there were many instances they could have easily fallen apart but were instead supportive of each other. I didn't mind Dom too much, but she did stress me out and make me nervous for them on every leg. Her almost quitting the sculpting challenge right at the onset was annoying, overall not what I would expect from a supposed motivational speaker.

I'm loving the twin sisters, Molly and Emily. They seem genuine, appreciative, and all-around wholesome; while also being competent and humble about it. Their Sydney trip was a much better prize than the previous leg's Lima prize IMO. 

Also loving Glenda and Lumumba for their humor, enthusiasm, and upbeat attitudes.

Edited by Roccos Brother
  • Love 1

Dude Dom's sweaty face made  me laugh again this week. When the switched over to them talking at the end last week, I almost fell out of my chair. It looked like the movie Airplane and when he was dripping buckets of sweat. Sorry I had to mention it tonight but I thought of it again watching tonight's episode. Because I was like holy crap, that's a lot of sweat or she  poured water over her face, but who would do that right before their interview without wiping their face? 

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, TV Anonymous said:

I just wonder if the charcuterie is still good to eat after being carried around the place like that. If not, what a waste of good meat.

I believe they use preservatives, even if they're not produced out of a factory like the salami you can buy in America.

But the preservatives may cause cancer.

I’m really sorry that we didn’t get to see Dom wrangle her hair on a zip line or swimming.  I also slightly enjoyed the fact that she had lost her eyelash extensions on her left eye.  She just annoyed me to no end!