Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: Future Worf and the Margarita of the South Pacific

Bort
  • Start Topic

I'm glad Missy is getting a share of the story, but I hope they wrap the pregnancy story line sooner than later, because, frankly, I don't care.

As for Sheldon's voice, I guess his testicles descended sooner than he claimed on BBT.

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 3

I am actually enjoying the glimpse we are getting of Mary before God got his mitts on her even if it is second hand and through eyes of regret.  

Missy talking her way into a job at the comic book store while Sheldon becomes obsessed with what amounts to bad Star Trek fanfic is why even though Missy may not be as intelligent as Sheldon she is the more functional (pre)teenager.

Did you know Batman is also secretly a rich dude.  Or he lives in a rich dudes basement.  I am still figuring it out.  

Sheldon gets stymied by the common man who find flaws in his logic.   I actually like that Georgie wasn’t against the idea of going into a scammy business with Sheldon it was the fact that Sheldon had no concept of realism.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7
9 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

So Sheldon is the original Crypto Bro, huh?

I laughed at this!

Also, how strangely sad and comforting that Mary and Brenda had a girl's night out? Although, I think Brenda was sounding Mary out about the strength of her relationship with George. Maybe she senses there is some daylight between them and may make a move? 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Mary is so much more fun when she cuts loose. And we even got a nice moment with her and George, even if it was all because of being jealous over Pastor Rob’s girlfriend.

Connie finally went out with Linkletter, but I hope it doesn’t turn into anything more.

• Like 2
  • Love 5

I thought this episode was freaking hysterical. The show is so much better without the pregnancy plot dragging the mood down.

Missy working at Sheldon's haunt is going to be awesome. 

Mary on the dance floor was too cute. I like the theme the writers are going with where her disenfranchisement with religion is leading her back to worldly ways. 

MeeMaw's and Dr. Linkletter's painfully awkward date was another high point. 

And Sheldon came up with Crypto! Who knew? 😅

• Like 6
  • Love 4

I love seeing Mary act like a normal, flawed woman. She needs to realize she can love God and enjoy life at the same time. Granted, it took a little alcohol to loosen her up, but she’s got a great personality when she’s not acting holier than thou.

And I got a kick out of the fact that Sheldon, who considers himself the smartest person in his family, can’t find a way to contribute when they need help. His ideas are too cerebral and/or impractical.

Can we assume (please) that Dale’s still out of the picture despite the “talk” in the truck last week? Connie feels a need to have a man in her life All The Time. She talks about being an independent woman and a “hear me roar” kind of gal, but she gets pretty pissy when she’s not with a man.  She has zero chemistry with Dr. Linkletter.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, Lake Erie Lass said:

Can we assume (please) that Dale’s still out of the picture despite the “talk” in the truck last week?

I'm wondering what Dr. Sturgis will say when he finds out Connie went out with Dr. Linkletter?

I liked how George appeared to not really be listening, but still picked out the flaw in Sheldon's Star Trek story.

I was expecting one of those "What's a girl doing in a comic book shop?" scenes like they did on BBT.  Probably still to come.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Remember when he figured out how to land booster rockets on a platform and/or land?  He's one smart cookie!  An annoying cookie, but a smart one! 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

And Sheldon came up with Crypto! Who knew? 😅

Just like when a "certain TV show" came up with the idea of hand-held communicators

(we call them flip-phones), Sheldon was just a couple of decades ahead of the curve.

I can only imagine modern-day Sheldon trying to convince Leonard and the others to

help him sue the founders of Crypto because Sheldon somehow believes that they

stole the idea from him.

• Like 3
  • Love 3

George had two wins tonight: finding the flaw in Sheldon's story, and fun times with intoxicated Mary. 

I want to see the scene where Missy gets paid and her parents find out she's got a job. Will she really turn over her paycheck to help the family? Or will she decide to spend it herself? It's notable that she managed to get a job and neither parent noticed, nor did Sheldon blow the whistle on her. I liked that she was reading store merch, to learn more about it. She's not quite the sales person Georgie is, but maybe she'll get there.

I loved that Georgie was reading the pregnancy book with such intensity and concentration.

• Like 4
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, Twilight Man said:

Just like when a "certain TV show" came up with the idea of hand-held communicators

(we call them flip-phones), Sheldon was just a couple of decades ahead of the curve.

I can only imagine modern-day Sheldon trying to convince Leonard and the others to

help him sue the founders of Crypto because Sheldon somehow believes that they

stole the idea from him.

If Sheldon was smart and forward thinking, wouldn't he have patented the idea just in case?  I mean the guy just loves his rules and notary. 

6 hours ago, possibilities said:

George had two wins tonight: finding the flaw in Sheldon's story, and fun times with intoxicated Mary. 

I want to see the scene where Missy gets paid and her parents find out she's got a job. Will she really turn over her paycheck to help the family? Or will she decide to spend it herself? It's notable that she managed to get a job and neither parent noticed, nor did Sheldon blow the whistle on her. I liked that she was reading store merch, to learn more about it. She's not quite the sales person Georgie is, but maybe she'll get there.

I loved that Georgie was reading the pregnancy book with such intensity and concentration.

Wonder if she will use it to pay the cable?  

Overall good episode.  Nice to see Sheldon in his tshirts on the weekend at least. Ties in with adult Sheldon.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, possibilities said:

I want to see the scene where Missy gets paid and her parents find out she's got a job. Will she really turn over her paycheck to help the family? Or will she decide to spend it herself? It's notable that she managed to get a job and neither parent noticed, nor did Sheldon blow the whistle on her.

2 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Wonder if she will use it to pay the cable?  

Ooo. Great plot point, @possibilities!
I do hope they have Missy pay the cable. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

It's notable that she managed to get a job and neither parent noticed, nor did Sheldon blow the whistle on her. I liked that she was reading store merch, to learn more about it. She's not quite the sales person Georgie is, but maybe she'll get there.

Wouldn't she have needed some kind of paperwork signed by a parent? I know I did when I got my first job at 16. Or is that not a thing in Texas?

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

I think Sheldon would put it in the garage with his train set.

Unless the garage has a bitchin’ air conditioner, a computer would overheat in two seconds in the Texas heat.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
15 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Missy talking her way into a job at the comic book store while Sheldon becomes obsessed with what amounts to bad Star Trek fanfic is why even though Missy may not be as intelligent as Sheldon she is the more functional (pre)teenager.

It's street smarts/emotional intelligence vs. book smarts. Some situations call for one, some situations call for the other. 

15 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I actually like that Georgie wasn’t against the idea of going into a scammy business with Sheldon it was the fact that Sheldon had no concept of realism.

That sounds like Georgie to me. He has no problem being involved in something illegal or a scam. His only issue was that it was too expensive/impractical. 

15 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Missy working at Sheldon's haunt is going to be awesome. 

I am curious to see where this goes. Will Missy still be popular even though she's working at a comic book store (which is not where the cool kids hang out)? 

14 hours ago, rmontro said:

I was expecting one of those "What's a girl doing in a comic book shop?" scenes like they did on BBT.  Probably still to come.

Sheldon is protective of his sister and his family in general. If someone is mean to Missy because she's a girl working in a comic book shop, Sheldon is going to give her a crash course and make sure she knows everything important and can win an argument. 

13 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

I love that he was reading What to Expect When You Are Expecting

I didn't notice that, but I love it and it totally works for me. Once he got over the shock, Georgie was more than willing to "step up and do the right thing." Despite what Mandy wants, Georgie wants to be helpful, involved, and part of the kid's life every step of the way. 

12 hours ago, possibilities said:

Right now, both parents are kind of distracted so unless Sheldon or Missy gets in real trouble at school or with the law, they can probably get away with quite a bit. Sheldon isn't going to the blow the whistle on her. He wants to use her employee discount. I can see him giving her a list and the money to pay for the comic books. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:
14 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

I love that he was reading What to Expect When You Are Expecting

I didn't notice that, but I love it and it totally works for me. Once he got over the shock, Georgie was more than willing to "step up and do the right thing." Despite what Mandy wants, Georgie wants to be helpful, involved, and part of the kid's life every step of the way. 

There's just one more season after this one, right?
I wonder if there are talks to have a present day spin off featuring Georgie and Mandy's kid, who would now be in their 20s (right?) and might have Sheldon's IQ + some street smarts (or not).

16 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Have they actually said they are only doing one more season?  AFAIK Young Sheldon is doing well in the ratings, I can't see them bowing out if they can continue to bring in the punters.

• Useful 1
37 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

Will Missy still be popular even though she's working at a comic book store (which is not where the cool kids hang out)? 

I can envision Missy building up her self-confidence as the comic book "nerds" fawn all over her (Wolowitz style!) and that will help her to not take any crap from anybody else who might have something to say about her working there!  She knows exactly how to handle grown-up Sheldon's nerdy friends, as we saw on TBBT.  

I like how they continue to show that Missy & Georgie Jr. - although not book smart - are pretty savvy in their own way.  

• Like 5
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, nora1992 said:

Georgie put into words what I’ve always thought cryptocurrency is.

Not only that, but he also correctly predicted that some people would pay for it just because they'll be too embarrassed to admit that they don't understand it. Georgie is smarter than most people give him credit for.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6

Iain must have had quite the growth spurt in addition to his voice changing.  Have you noticed that the blocking takes great care in not having Sheldon and Missy or Georgie standing next to each other?  If they're not in close-up, you'll see one sitting, and one standing, or perhaps one standing in the foreground and one standing in the background, or otherwise with visual separation.    Iain probably towers Raegan Revord now.  I don't know why they bother, since it is normal for fraternal twins to have different growth rates.  Not to mention, wasn't Missy the twin that was compromised at birth, causing Mary to turn to religion and pledge her life to the church if her child survived?  She would have a slower growth rate just from that medical history. 

They could even make a big deal out of it, just once, with something like sports minded George lamenting that he's got one a kid with the height potential to be a star center-forward but with the athletic aptitude of a rock, and one kid with amazing athletic skills, but the stature of a squirrel.  Then drop it as anything worth mentioning.  Acknowledge it, and move on.

This triangle between Mary, George, and Brenda has an interesting tension.  Brenda is caught in an interesting position, and she's decided to address that by trying to be a good friend to both, even though she's wracked with guilt over what might have happened with George.  I just wish Brenda and George could agree that their moment was just a fluke, brought on by mutual loneliness and friendship.  But maybe that's the point, it wasn't a fluke, and they both still feel a pull?   I think Brenda and Mary are forging a genuine friendship, and that is crushing Brenda because she's betraying one or the other. At any rate, a lesser comic actress would not pull it off as well as Melissa Peterman is doing.  She's the lynch pin of all that tension, and she's holding it well.

• Like 4
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I wonder if there are talks to have a present day spin off featuring Georgie and Mandy's kid, who would now be in their 20s (right?) and might have Sheldon's IQ + some street smarts (or not).

I would totally be on board for a spin-off about grown-up Missy, Georgie, and thier children. 

35 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Not only that, but he also correctly predicted that some people would pay for it just because they'll be too embarrassed to admit that they don't understand it. Georgie is smarter than most people give him credit for.

Georgie is not booksmart, but like Missy has the ability to read people. Based on what we have seen of Georgie in this series, knowing that adult Georgie has a sucessful chain of tire stores makes perfect sense. 

@ChitChat-Missy is popular at school, but I'm not sure how much she actually cares about that. If she had to give up her popularity to support her family, I think she'd do that.

Of course all of the young teenage boys at the comic book are going to think she's cute. I wonder if that's part of the reason she was hired. She may not know everything about comics, but as long as she tell people where things are, what they have in stock, when things are coming in, and what they can order, she'll probably be fine. (As bad as Wolowitz was in the early years, I cannot imagine him hitting on a girl that he knew was very clearly underage). 

1 minute ago, HurricaneVal said:

hey could even make a big deal out of it, just once, with something like sports minded George lamenting that he's got one a kid with the height potential to be a star center-forward but with the athletic aptitude of a rock, and one kid with amazing athletic skills, but the stature of a squirrel.  Then drop it as anything worth mentioning.  Acknowledge it, and move on.

On the other hand, there are plenty of sports where height doesn't really matter. Missy was a star on the baseball team, and that's not a sport that demands height to do well. In terms of George, sports, and his kids, I always thought that it was really awesome that he totally and fully sported Missy being on the baseball team. He never had a problem with the fact that his daughter wanted to play a sport, not just be a cheerleader.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, possibilities said:

I think the guy who hired her was looking the other way on the paperwork. He asked her age then said he didn't care, which implies he's not a rule-follower. I imagine this will lead to trouble down the line. 

True. I wonder if he's paying her under the table. If not, there's gotta be some kind of paper trail just for tax purposes, at least.

I was hoping to see Tam at the comic book store

You know Mary is going to go back to her church because Pastor Jeff is a regular cast member. I can’t see just having him as their neighbor.

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

Sheldon is protective of his sister and his family in general. If someone is mean to Missy because she's a girl working in a comic book shop, 

That wasn't the type of "girl in a comic book shop" moment I was talking about.  On BBT, when Penny or Bernadette went into a comic shop, all the nerds froze and stared, and maybe a few tongues hit the floor, because they weren't used to being around girls.

I never thought Dr. Linkletter would be a great date, but wow I never thought he would be that bad.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Now this was more like it!  We still see moments of sadness with regard to their problems but overall it was a positive episode with a lot of humour.  I liked the way George pointed out the flaw in Sheldon's story idea.  Also liked the way Connie pointed out that Mary was a bit of  a wild girl long before George came along!  I was impressed by how many storylines they managed to pack into what is essentially 18 minutes of show.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

I think Pastor Rob is a bit of a horn dog under the guise of being a good Christian youth pastor.  No, I don't think he's a pedophile (I hope they don't go there) but there's always been something off about his character.  He's too facile.  His "coolness" is too studied.  I think he gets off on the adulation he gets from the youth group.  Mary was just an ego experiment for him, could his charisma pull this upstanding Christian prig under his spell?  He doesn't care about Mary, he cares about how he can manipulate Mary for his own ego.

Pastor Rob is a type.  I've seen that type over and over.  Every church large enough to be able to pay for a youth pastor ordained from the mothership and not just a volunteer from the congregation has seen that type.  Part Svengali, part Mr. Rogers, part grifter, part cool kid wannabe.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Do we know how old Pastor Rob is? I always thought he was in his mid-late 20s to Mary's early 40s*. Mary had some unexpected feelings of jealousy but I think what bothered her more was that his date is someone she used to babysit and she felt old.

*Taken from this ScreenRant article with a major typo in the blurb about Mary/Zoe. So with that, I'm not 100% confident with their age of Mary.

Mary is portrayed by actress Zoe Perry, who is currently four years younger than her character. She does a remarkable job at imitating the speech and behaviors of the actress who played Mary in TBBT, likely because that actress is none other than her mother, Jackie Harris.

• LOL 2

Missy asks "Don't I look 14?" - I guess the twins are still "12". If they wait until February to have them turn 13 Iain may be 5 inches taller!

Mary made Hamburger Helper once before with the old packaging - I couldn't tell you which episode. 

I thought Georgie was paying for the cable TV?

With respect to Emily Osment, I didn't miss Mandy or that baby plot bogging down the show. I'm not much more excited about Pastor Rob either. 

8 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Do we know how old Pastor Rob is? I always thought he was in his mid-late 20s to Mary's early 40s*.

I would have guessed him at early 30s.  But I looked up the actor and he is 36.  

I would have also guessed Mary at early 40s, but Zoe Perry is 39.  So the actors aren't too far apart, but who knows how old the characters are supposed to be?

On 10/6/2022 at 2:44 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

but I hope they wrap the pregnancy story line sooner than later, because, frankly, I don't care.

I imagine it will take about 9 months, or the whole rest of this season.

I loved that even with all the  moving around and getting beer, and going to the bathroom and whatever all else he was doing, George proved he was paying attention by pointing out a plot hole.  My dad would have just been staring off into space and at the end say "sounds good."

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love 4
On 10/7/2022 at 12:41 PM, shapeshifter said:

When Missy had her baby in TBBT didn't Sheldon say he was becoming an uncle for the first time?

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, retired watcher said:

When Missy had her baby in TBBT didn't Sheldon say he was becoming an uncle for the first time?

He did, and there was also at least a few references prior to that about Mary wanting to be a grandmother.  I am guessing though since they've clearly handwaved away a lot of what we're told about the Cooper family on BBT that this is yet another thing they've decided to ignore.  I just wish they'd decided to ignore the George is an adulterer storyline but this episode seemed to strongly hint that his attraction to Brenda is something they are going to explore further.  

• Like 2
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

I just wish they'd decided to ignore the George is an adulterer storyline but this episode seemed to strongly hint that his attraction to Brenda is something they are going to explore further.  

I hate these kinds of "will they or won't they" storylines.  Ugh.  Such a drain on the show.  

• Love 1
On 10/7/2022 at 7:09 PM, rmontro said:

I never thought Dr. Linkletter would be a great date, but wow I never thought he would be that bad.

I'm hoping they are using this to pave the way to write Dr. Sturgiss back in as a love interest. I haven't enjoyed the show as much since his hiatus.

• Like 2
  • Love 5