Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion II: Discussing Today's Episode and Current Storylines

• Start Topic

Don’t forget “dead” when she was a “serial killer” during the Melaswen story. The infamous presumed death when the killer accidentally got her twin sister (who amazingly stayed dead!). Likely too many near-deaths to count: thrown in the pit by Stella, fell off a window ledge while counseling a suicidal teen and left comatose while DH did an outside project, etc. 

Even her “best death” when she was off the show for five years in the late 80s/early 90s was two deaths in one. First most of Salem thought she died when the house blew up. The Rojohn realized she was alive and being held captive by Orpheus… only to watch her plane blow up.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

the Black penthouse

Didn't that start as just a small apartment with maybe 1 extra room? They used to mention that there wasn't room for people. It was the penthouse, but not a lot of bedrooms.

Maybe they are doing the most dragged out death for her since isn't it her 5,000 episode on Monday? (2,000? I don't remember, but it was a milestone so they have to give her a special show).

• Like 4

Rachel needs to be told what a horror her mother is. Brady wants to sugarcoat and that just gives Kristen more power to brainwash her. 

Loved EJ not giving into Kristen blackmail and just putting the phone on speaker. Lol she lost her card there. 

Yes Brady it was all for nothing, you're an idiot. 

Where is Sami supposed to be that she can't return for her mother's deathbed.  Belle made it from Africa.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

(...hmmmm...she died at the end of the original possession storyline, she was nearly killed after being shot at the wedding a few years ago, she was dead back when she reunited with John on the warf so she must have died before that...that's...three times? Making this number four?)

She died when she was the serial killer and she and her “victims” went to MELASWEN. 

• Like 4

Personally, I really loved this episode. I agree with everyone that the Kayla and Kate deaths felt empty, but I think Marlena, Jarlena, and the Black/Evans family are hitting all the emotional beats. I think Jarlena always excel at these fairytale our love is a superpower that can and will conquer all storylines. I really liked the slide show, I liked getting interactions that are less common like Allie/Brady and Eric/Belle. Marlena also feels more legitimately connected to the extended cast that Kayla or Kate does.

My only nitpick is the slideshow. If this is supposed to also be about honoring Marlena's 5,000th episode, I wish the slideshow was more about Marlena than Jarlena.

Today was the first time in a long time I thought the Dimera family felt authentic and legitimate. I loved Kristen vs EJ vs Stefan with the blackmail, the call out on bluffs, and the set-up for future backstabbing. That is what the Dimera family should be. They are not the Horton family or even the Brady family. The Dimera family should look at each other primarily as potential allies until a better ally comes along.

I'm convinced Kristen is either going to fake her death and frame someone for her "murder" as revenge or Rachel is going to shoot Chloe.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Artsda said:

Where is Sami supposed to be that she can't return for her mother's deathbed. 

Let's just be grateful that she is no longer available. She would have made the focus on her and not Marlena. I am happy not to ever have to see or read about her character again.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
2 hours ago, 4evaQuez said:

I'm convinced Kristen is either going to fake her death and frame someone for her "murder" as revenge or Rachel is going to shoot Chloe.

I will be shocked if Rachel doesn't try to kill Chloe.

The rooftop CGI was SO bad but in the most entertaining way lol.

I already asked this but I don't think anyone answered; does anyone know when we will start seeing stuff that was done after the move to Peacock?

• Like 4
30 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I will be shocked if Rachel doesn't try to kill Chloe.

The rooftop CGI was SO bad but in the most entertaining way lol.

I already asked this but I don't think anyone answered; does anyone know when we will start seeing stuff that was done after the move to Peacock?

Paul Telfer says he was the first to say a naughty word so I guess that will be an indicator 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

Both yesterday’s ep and today’s ep appeared on the DVR. Had I initially looked, I would not have had to watch yesterday’s on-demand. Weird.

Little Rachel is a chip off the mommy block. She will easily out-Sami Sami and be a mini Stefano. Brady, get her in to some sort of counseling and fast before she pulls a sort of Chucky. Keep her away from Chloe.

I liked Belle and her mom. Even Johnny and Chanel were okay. 

I too would have preferred the slideshow to be more Marlena than her and John. Maybe no permission from old cast members to use their photos? I guess she slipped away at the end. One of the older super couples that actually meant something.

No EJ as lawyer for Kristen? Guess he snakily made a deal with Stefan to get rid of Li. That will work well. EJ, take lessons from your niece.

Edited by Frozendiva
  • Like 5

I would just as soon both Kristen and Rachel run away for about ten years.

That green screen on the rooftop was pretty bad.

Didn't that picture of Stefano used to be bigger?

Has anybody made any mention as to why Sami isn't there?

• Like 6

Reminder:

Character threads are Spoiler-Free Zones!  I am putting it here because I don't want to put a reminder in every character thread but there have been casting spoilers and spec based on casting info dropped in the character threads more and more lately. 

Talk/speculation about returning characters goes in the spoiler thread or the arrival/departure thread only.  

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Artsda said:

Loved EJ not giving into Kristen blackmail and just putting the phone on speaker. Lol she lost her card there. 

That's one improvement I think the writers have been making lately.  Rather than have every deception/dirty deed drag on for months - with the character running around Salem talking in really public places (either to someone else or, out loud, to themselves about how someone else can't find out what they've done - with many, many close calls/really stupid covers when the person inevitably overhears said conversation) the pace of those plotlines seems to have accelerated a bit.  I feel like before the Li/Kristen brainwashing (with EJ's subsequent involvement) Xander kidnapping, Gwen/Leo involvement and the Alex turning off Stephanie's phone thing would still be dragging on.  There are probably other examples of this, but I can't really think of them right now.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
On 1/21/2023 at 12:55 AM, RedElf said:

I would just as soon both Kristen and Rachel run away for about ten years.

Honestly, I wish they would just do it. If Stacey Haiduk needs employment, they can always resurrect Susan. 

The slideshow was nice. I can't believe Days actually got a nice new set! If I really believed Marlena was going to stay dead, I would have been moved.

It's nice seeing Joey and Tripp. I guess I'm one of the few people who actually likes the new Joey?

• Like 6

Death no longer has any meaning on soaps..  So what is the point of this ridiculous story by Ron.. People complain about Ron using Kristen too much.  The same can be said about Marlena.  She has been frontburner nonstop since Ron came as Headwriter. I am so tired of Marlena, enough already. I say this as a longtime fan of hers. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
2 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

Death no longer has any meaning on soaps..  So what is the point of this ridiculous story by Ron.. People complain about Ron using Kristen too much.  The same can be said about Marlena.  She has been frontburner nonstop since Ron came as Headwriter. I am so tired of Marlena, enough already. I say this as a longtime fan of hers. 

I think with Kristen is that she has no redeeming qualities yet is a focal point at least Marlena is an inherently decent person even if I admit I haven't really liked her much since the 80s. Now Marlena's storylines are tiresome despite being classic soap tropes because there's a lack of creativity to them than years past. 

• Like 8
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

A few of us mentioned that it for sure was. And it was not well done lol. It was very obviously CGI. Good for them for trying something new though!

Wait...they CGIed a set?? Screengrabs please!

• Like 1
On 1/20/2023 at 5:34 PM, peachmangosteen said:

I heard February at Day Of Days in CA in November.  I'm also hearing that around some of the Facebook Groups I'm in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I liked today's episode, but I didn't like it as much as Friday's episode.

I have three nitpicks. They didn't affect my enjoyment of the show, but here they are:

1. I hate that the show constantly has to explain Will's absence. With his husband, child, and a large number of his family members in Salem, it makes sense that his absence must be explained. However, I'm still annoyed that it must be explained. 

2. I thought it was kind of deplorable for Belle to say she wishes it was Hattie in that hospital bed and not Marlena. I get what Belle was saying. The gist is that she wants her mother alive, and that Hattie has swapped herself with Marlena before during a similar situation. It still just seemed somewhat cold considering Marlena is "dead" as far as Belle knows. It just seemed cold and almost cruel, which I do think is in character for Belle.

3. This is an extension of Friday's nitpick, I wish the flashbacks were more Marlena focused and not Jarlena focused. If this is to celebrate Marlena's 5,000 episodes, it seems we should be able to see Marlena's life from her perspective. Maybe we'll get that as she's officially in heaven now, but it was another nitpick.

Anyway, those nitpicks are quite small. I still think the Marlena portion of this storyline has by far been the best. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I am going to be unpopular, but I will echo what someone said above: I am sick of Marlena, 5,000 episodes or not. And as much as I like(d) John, I am sick of him, too.

The entire Black family is overexposed to the nth degree.

I wish Ron and his merry band of hacks would put even a quarter of that worship towards, I don't know, the other 99% of the cast.

It won't happen, but I am at the point that I wish Doc would just stay dead. (No spoilers, but it's Days. NO ONE stays dead now unless the actor him/herself dies!)

• Like 5
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2
12 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I am going to be unpopular, but I will echo what someone said above: I am sick of Marlena, 5,000 episodes or not. And as much as I like(d) John, I am sick of him, too.

The entire Black family is overexposed to the nth degree.

I wish Ron and his merry band of hacks would put even a quarter of that worship towards, I don't know, the other 99% of the cast.

It won't happen, but I am at the point that I wish Doc would just stay dead. (No spoilers, but it's Days. NO ONE stays dead now unless the actor him/herself dies!)

100%. I got into this show for Steve and Kayla in 1986 and they are an afterthought. Where is their flashback sequence and lengthy send off? I feel nothing because none of these deaths will stick. I'm also offended that this latest Marlena death felt like a rip off of Isabella's actual permanent and moving death. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

5000 episodes is certainly worthy of celebration.

The little problem is, in those 5000 episodes Marlena has done All The Things multiple times. She's been dead over and over. She's nearly died over and over. She's married John umpteen times and had umpteen triumphant montages. So trying to celebrate her 5000th episode with more of the same falls flat.

The big problem is, in recent years John and Marlena have gotten All The Things while other characters got leftovers at best. They never take a break from the front burner. They have a pattern of being more important in the younger characters' lives than the younger characters' own immediate families... even when the immediate families are right there. And they spent too damn much time feting a serial killer who strangled their grandson, murdered their son's longtime girlfriend, murdered their longtime close friend's granddaughter, etc. So when the 5000th episode rolls around, there's a certain sense of "feels more like five million."

I wish that for the 5000th, one of Marlena's grandchildren had asked to write a mini-biography for a school project. Cue flashbacks as Marlena gives a sanitized version of her life. The kid goes home happy, and John arrives to say "well, I hope you left out..." and cue flashbacks to the stuff Marlena couldn't tell a child. Or something like that.

Just not more "ten course meal for Jarlena, scraps for everyone else." That's not a 5000th episode. That's every damn day.

• Like 7
  • Fire 3
  • Applause 3

Allie is still horrible, she couldn't put herself aside for Johnny pain and bit his head off over Dimeras. 

So Sonny is  going to go New Zealand. Will gonna leave before his grandmother is even cold?

• Like 3
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

As far as I know, although the actress (Darlene Conley) died IRL, her character (OG Sally Spectra) remains alive but not mentioned on Bold and the Beautiful.  

1 hour ago, Panopticon said:

I wish that for the 5000th, one of Marlena's grandchildren had asked to write a mini-biography for a school project. Cue flashbacks as Marlena gives a sanitized version of her life. The kid goes home happy, and John arrives to say "well, I hope you left out..." and cue flashbacks to the stuff Marlena couldn't tell a child. Or something like that.

Whatever happened to the movie Jonny was doing about Marlena?  

Will has to go to New Zealand for six months? Sonny is going to give up Titan? Open a branch office there?

No one saw John take Marlena to the rooftop?

Allie, Chanel is your brother’s ex wife and he had feelings for her. Leave it alone.

Eric is starting to drink again?

Johnny, you did not need to slug Tripp. He has nothing to do with his mother’s mental illness. 

Aww, Doc, you have a white suit and turtleneck.

Someone corrected me on Twitter about the 5000th ep and as of Friday, there were still 24 left - 4976.

• Like 7

Funny how it's Marlena who was dying but it was Allie I wanted to toss of the roof.  Johnny's grief stricken, so if resting his tongue halfway down Chanel's throat helps him then LEAVE IT ALONE, Allie.

Honestly, all three of them should be returned to the factory.  Show would be more believable if Marlena's grandchildren were portrayed by two Oompa Loompahs.

Make that three Oompah Loompahs.  Chandler barely kept his trademark smirk off his face during his Sonny scenes and his "Marlena Ist Kaput" scenes.  The guy spent all this time working out and getting ripped but he couldn't spend a few hours at an acting class?  

Is Tripp sticking around Salem?  If so, he'd better come back to the hospital.  Sarah's the only doctor left and she needs some help. 

Eric's weeping scene at Marlena's bedside might have been more effective if Marlena's chest wasn't obviously moving up and down.  But then again, death in Salem never looks like it does anywhere else, does it?

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
4 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I liked the song played during the Flashbacks "Once in a Lifetime", I wonder if that is an Original song written for the show?  

It had to be. This show hasn't licensed popular music in over 10 years. It was actually quite nice.

2 hours ago, boes said:

Make that three Oompah Loompahs.  Chandler barely kept his trademark smirk off his face during his Sonny scenes and his "Marlena Ist Kaput" scenes.  The guy spent all this time working out and getting ripped but he couldn't spend a few hours at an acting class?  

I think I read somewhere that Chandler isn't really pursuing an acting career. He's got a different, non-industry career he's pursuing. He's only really showing up enough to keep those Sag benefits. LOL

2 hours ago, boes said:

Is Tripp sticking around Salem?  If so, he'd better come back to the hospital.  Sarah's the only doctor left and she needs some help. 

Poor Tripp. His mom is psycho and believes he's Charlie, and his other mom "died." 

Maybe he can have a romance with Wendy since it looks like they're re-kindling Johnny/Chanel? 

• Like 7
5 hours ago, boes said:

Eric's weeping scene at Marlena's bedside might have been more effective if Marlena's chest wasn't obviously moving up and down.  But then again, death in Salem never looks like it does anywhere else, does it?

That's ALL I could keep focusing on!! 🤣😂

And during Kate's death scenes she kept blinking her eyes.

If the writers don't care about this silly story why should the viewers.

Ron will probably get another Emmy.😁

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
2 hours ago, Sidney said:

Did John just ask Abe how he went home to an empty bed without Lexie? This is a guy who could literally write a book on how many times Marlena has croaked on him.😅

Besides, Abe never went home to an empty bed after Lexie died.  From all visual evidence available, he slept in his suit for next 11 years.

• LOL 20

So it looks like we're going to have even more of the Devil/Possession storyline. Yay...question mark. I can't imagine the most recent possession storyline was that popular, but if they're bringing it back, I imagine its because demand warrants it. I am not one of the people demanding it.

Stephanie/Paulina are a strange pairing. Is this version of Stephanie just a blabbermouth. It seems odd she'll be so personal with Paulina who is her boss and mostly just has a professional relationship with. I also thought it was strange that Pauline went from extending sympathies for Kayla to asking Steph to essentially get back to work. I also thought Stephanie's smile at the request was odd and not appropriate for what's supposed to be her emotional state.

Also, Stephanie said Alex preventing her from being with Kayla is the worst thing anyone's ever done to her. I mean I know I can't rank someone's tragedies. However, Stephanie has been raped, drugged, kidnapped, and held in a morgue locker for days. That's just off the top of my head. I can't imagine this being the worst thing anyone's ever done to her.

I liked Allie, and I get where she's coming from regarding Johnny/Chanel. I even like her pettiness at Chanel. I wish these things could be happening at a time when Marlena is not "dead." It makes it seem like Allie doesn't really care that much about Marlena.

Sloan is such a treat. Usually, we see women feeling honored that a man in such dire straits would come to her for emotional support. I loved that Sloan was like don't you want to be with your family, or friends, or loved ones, or emotional support guinea pig, etc. The actress has the same 1990s primetime Soap Opera feeling that Gabi does, but for Sloan/the actress it really works. I look forward to seeing her on my screen now.

Apparently hell is a lot of filling out forms, preparing and reviewing documentation, and administrative mishaps that must be sorted out ad nauseum. Personally, I'd rather just be set on fire.

• Like 4
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I think I read somewhere that Chandler isn't really pursuing an acting career. He's got a different, non-industry career he's pursuing. He's only really showing up enough to keep those Sag benefits. LOL

So I guess he's not doing any more of the Hallmark holiday movies?  He's done a few in the last 1-2 years.

10 hours ago, Sidney said:

Ron will probably get another Emmy.😁

Well, considering we can count the number of soaps on one hand, it's not that hard anymore to score a daytime Emmy!  🙃

4 hours ago, 4evaQuez said:

Also, Stephanie said Alex preventing her from being with Kayla is the worst thing anyone's ever done to her. I mean I know I can't rank someone's tragedies. However, Stephanie has been raped, drugged, kidnapped, and held in a morgue locker for days. That's just off the top of my head. I can't imagine this being the worst thing anyone's ever done to her.

Well, of course Show is counting on people not remembering, or coming late to the show so they never knew any of that in the first place.  Kudos to you @4evaQuez for recalling all that.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Paulina, it was nice of you to drop by Stephanie’s home to pay your respects, but she is entitled to a few days’ compassionate leave. If she has staff besides Chad, they can do some work for you in her temporary absence.

John is taking Doc’s most recent death well….. yeah, he wants to go home to their bed and smell her perfume. It is going to take a while.

Johnny and Chanel acted like a former couple and still good friends. Nothing wrong with them. Allie was a bit immature. 

Eric, that was a lot of shooters. Did you walk to Sloan’s apartment? Maybe she liked being needed, but you do have other family.

And so, in what looked liked the heaven set in the digital series, Marlena runs in to Susan Banks? No one from her family? Her twin Samantha? Her spirit guide? The Philly Cream Cheese Angel? Susan seemed a bit off to me - more off than normal. Yeah, meeting Elvis was cute and expected. The paperwork and her having access to anything was strange. Shooing her off and then the big reveal/twist that Susan Banks is her old friend Satan. Is she in Purgatory? Kayla was a good person for the most part and should be found; Kate, who knows. Why the elaborate ruse? 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

I know that Jarlena are TRULUV, but couldn't Show have spared a few moments for the Roman and Marlena love story?

How long has that one slide been sitting there being reflected onto that wall?  Shouldn't it have burst into flames by now?

I've been where Eric is, though I never wound up sleeping with a skank.

I didn't like that Show made Susan dead, but now she might still be alive.  And then, the devil could have lied about Kayla still be alive.  But how did the devil get into Heaven? Could the devil be responsible for the orchid disappearing?

Allie is being a bitch.

I guess Bo has an asterisk because he isn't really in Heaven any more.

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1
On 1/23/2023 at 5:57 PM, norcalgal said:

As far as I know, although the actress (Darlene Conley) died IRL, her character (OG Sally Spectra) remains alive but not mentioned on Bold and the Beautiful.  

I thought someone on here said that once they brought in a new young Sally Spectra, they established that the original had indeed passed away or something.

Darlene was such an original. I wish the actors they hired for Days nowadays were half as compelling.

4 hours ago, RedElf said:

I didn't like that Show made Susan dead, but now she might still be alive. 

Okay, spill the news. I missed the episode so all I know is that Susan was in heaven and wearing some kind of white southern dress? That's all I got from my friend who occasionally tunes in.

I really hope Susan is alive again soon, and then goes back to wherever because she's been overexposed. I don't want her onscreen right now but I don't want her dead either.

EDIT: I *just* remembered they also "killed" Abe in 2021 didn't they? Lordy. They're really just sending everyone to heaven and thinking we're going to sit here sobbing about it every dang time, like they aren't going to come back.

At least "Lexie" 's return featured a tasteful garden set and a bench. I find the heaven set a bit...tacky. It looks like a wedding reception should be held there or something. Do they still have the flatscreen TV that Angela was fussing over with Bo?

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Like 3
4 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I thought someone on here said that once they brought in a new young Sally Spectra, they established that the original had indeed passed away or something.

Darlene was such an original. I wish the actors they hired for Days nowadays were half as compelling.

Okay, spill the news. I missed the episode so all I know is that Susan was in heaven and wearing some kind of white southern dress? That's all I got from my friend who occasionally tunes in.

I really hope Susan is alive again soon, and then goes back to wherever because she's been overexposed. I don't want her onscreen right now but I don't want her dead either.

EDIT: I *just* remembered they also "killed" Abe in 2021 didn't they? Lordy. They're really just sending everyone to heaven and thinking we're going to sit here sobbing about it every dang time, like they aren't going to come back.

At least "Lexie" 's return featured a tasteful garden set and a bench. I find the heaven set a bit...tacky. It looks like a wedding reception should be held there or something. Do they still have the flatscreen TV that Angela was fussing over with Bo?

Someone on Twitter posted a clip of heavenly Susan from yesterday’s ep.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GMariexO3/status/1618057289545691137

• Like 1
6 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

They're really just sending everyone to heaven and thinking we're going to sit here sobbing about it every dang time, like they aren't going to come back.

And, unfortunately, it seems they're setting it up so that John and Marlena's GREAT LOVE will be the reason Kate, Kayla and Marlena all come back.  Yes, we'll once again be subjected to all the blather about how their love was the greatest, most intense, most lasting, most powerful love in all the history of the world - the only reason most of the people in Salem still exist is because of John and Marlena's GREAT LOVE.   

As you can probably tell, I really hate all that overly sentimental garbage.  I get that it's a soap and that it's going to revolve around people's relationships but I just hate that somehow, John and Marlena are  held up as an example of the greatest love of all time.  Somehow, no one will EVER be able to match THEM.

• Like 2
  • Applause 5