Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I really like the new champ...  but even if I didn't, I'd still watch. I even stuck it out during Mattea's run and she drove me nuts. No contestant...or host... would make me not watch. 

Edited by Kimmmmmm
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I loved Marie's red hair!  I wish she had been able to answer more questions correctly.

As for FDR's last train trip, his body was returned to Washington, D.C. by train, and then to Hyde Park by train, so technically, Warm Springs was his last train trip when he was alive.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I’ve definitely heard of shaggy dog stories (or tales), but I don’t think I’ve heard of “take the starch out of” someone. I have heard that phrase with a different word from starch, though. 

I’ve heard both sayings, but I didn’t get either one of them. Not sure what that says about me.

It seems Hannah is getting a bit of pushback from certain Jeopardy corners for, well, reasons, but at least Amy has her back.

Amy Schneider

@Jeopardamy

Huge congratulations to Hannah Wilson!!! Welcome to the Guild of Jeopardy Champion Trans Women, one of us will be in contact shortly to explain the secret handshake and so forth.

Kevin also had no hard feelings:

Whiskey Ginger aka Kevin Belle

@whiskeygingdrag

Having another exceptional trans woman beat me was solace in my loss. #TeamQueer continues its domination! Go Hannah! (And good luck in Masters,@Jeopardamy!)

(Sorry for the wonky formatting. Both quotes were copied from Twitter.)

• Like 7
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

Hannah getting “sodium chlorine” for sodium chloride annoyed me. But it was moot given the scores. She’s a strong player. 

Isn’t that the same? Googling it I am finding many chemistry texts saying sodium chloride is made from sodium + chlorine and they asked for the 2 elements.

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

Hannah getting “sodium chlorine” for sodium chloride annoyed me.

It didn't ask what NaCl stands for, though, but what two elements table salt is made of -- sodium and chlorine.

• Like 7
41 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I've heard both phrases - shaggy dog and starch

17 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

And now you know more about Clarence Clemons than you probably ever wanted to! 😉

I've heard both though I've heard the other word used instead of starch more often.

That explains that, never watched the Sopranos, never was into Springsteen.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Welcome to the Guild of Jeopardy Champion Trans Women,

Didn't realize,  but suspected as much. 

Amy wrote a post on Defector saying that growing up as a guy helped her on  Jeopardy. Wonder if Hannah feels similarly 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, bad things are bad said:

Didn't realize,  but suspected as much. 

Didn't even occur to me...I'm surprised I hadn't seen any comments about it (since I stupidly read comments on Facebook for some masochistic reason...).

Color me embarrassed - didn't get FJ today since I focused on the defected part of the clue instead of the young replacements part. So I went with the Dodgers instead of my Cubs. I initially was thinking of the Cubs and White Sox but didn't get to young replacements = Cubs and moved on. 🙁At least the real Cubs won today.

O.k. end to the week. Ran "Take Me to Church" and got 4 in "Quick Planets", "The Great American Baking Show" (would have run it except I said cream tea instead of low or afternoon tea), "Stock Symbols" and "Revolution".  But then there were the stinker categories of "Slang in Español", "It's a TV Mystery" and "A Musical Bouquet". The board giveth and the board taketh.

Got the TSs/missed DD of Birmingham (DD), Betty White, Veronica Mars and Hungary. Didn't exactly yell at the screen, but it went something like this - Ashwin: McClanahan, Me: no it's Betty White, Brian: Bea Arthur, Me: (a little louder) no it's Betty White, Mayim: Betty White, Me: told you it was Betty White.

• Like 7
  • LOL 4

May 5: 
TGIF, y'all.

63% / 40% / 51%

J!: Started out well and then, well...Ran Quick Planets, missed one in Baking Show, two in Take Me to Church, Slang en Español, and TV Mystery, and three in Rose.

DJ: Started out bad and then, well…Missed one in Dunce, two Stock Symbols, three in Northern Lands and Revolution, four in Musical Bouquet, and completely failed "Oh", Yes!

FJ: Was not optimistic for a sports category, and I was right not to be. Though it was kind a duh moment when it was revealed. 

TS: Birmingham (DD), Veronica Mars, Betty White

• Like 2

took me a minute but I got FJ in plenty o' time.

i got the missed clues of Veronica Mars, Betty White, and troilus and Cressida (guess).

i got the entire categories of o yes and revolution wrong.  Needless to say DJ was not a shining moment for me.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Thankfully, I did not jinx Hannah after all.

I got only two ts's: Veronica Mars and Betty White.  There were more on the tip of my tongue that wouldn't come out.

Instaget FJ.  Sometimes my mind goes to just the right spot.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

I had to logic my way to FJ, first thinking about cities with two baseball teams, and then "young" led me to the correct response.

And I got the TS/missed DD of Birmingham, Veronica Mars, Betty White (sad that she was a TS!), Gypsy Rose Lee, and eohippus.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I'm a Ken fan so watching Jeopardy without him isn't a top priority for me. Still, I had laundry to fold so I had it on the background. Mayim was less grating than I recalled. Yet, what grated me the most was the TS of Betty White. I realize that some people are not hip to pop culture but I would have thought GG would have seeped into the souls of our national fabric by now. It's on so many times a day...FB memes are made from it and the national mourning of Betty White wasn't that long ago....

Come on, people. This upset me almost as much as when Duluth MN was an anwer for FJ and no one got it....I'll see myself out now....

• Like 6
  • Hugs 1
(edited)

Yup...weird re: the Betty White TS. Heck, I didn't watch the show more than a couple of times as I didn't care for it, but I knew BW played an unusual character named Rose. She was interviewed so frequently about her roles in comedy shows and was a television legend. She was on TV from its very start in the late 40's.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 1
(edited)

My sister told me our grandmother had a friend named Hannah Wilson.  When my sister and cousin stayed with Grandma, they would take the bus to see Hannah.  And we lived in Chicago!  But this was in the late 50s early 60s so not the same Hannah Wilson.

Edited by PaulaO
  • Like 1
27 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I was upset that nobody knew Birmingham. That incident is one of the most famous of the Civil RIghts era.

I knew that one because one of my kids, in 5th grade or so, her teacher read The Watsons Go To Birmingham to them, one chapter a day. She got very invested in it!  I’d like to think I would have known it anyway, but that just cemented it. I hope that book’s still on the school library shelves!

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

Hannah getting “sodium chlorine” for sodium chloride annoyed me. But it was moot given the scores. She’s a strong player. 

The element is chlorine. In my head I said chloride and realized when Hannnah responded chlorine that she was more correct, and I wonder if they would have accepted chloride. I was impressed with Hannah's ability to parse the question so quickly, when here I am answering white sox for tonight's FJ clue.

I am enjoying Hannah's run and I hope I'm not jinxing her by saying so.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Good for Hannah (even though she thinks someone sent a spacecraft to Jupiter in 1962)!

I am ridiculously annoyed by the Betty White TS.

I managed to get all but one in churches.  But if you think that meant I didn't have a disaster category in the first round, nope -- I only got Ike Barinholtz in TV, and only because he was the Celebrity J! champ do I know his name.  Other than that, I did very well; I ran planets, Español, and baking, and got all but one in Rose.

But I didn't run a damn thing in DJ.  The only one I came close in was stock symbols, where I missed one (Occidental).  I should have got all but one in northern, too, but I could not for the life of me remember the North Pole guy, so I missed two.  Two each in "oh" and revolution as well.  And I missed three each in dunce and music.  Not my round!

At least I rebounded to get FJ as a near-instaget.

On a shallow note, Mayim looked great with her hair pulled back like that (and I often don't care for that hairstyle on someone [including me]).  Her glasses and eye make-up combination was on point, too (I don't wear make-up, so I hardly ever notice it on anyone else, but I was drawn to her eyes).

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I was upset that nobody knew Birmingham. That incident is one of the most famous of the Civil RIghts era.

It wasn't a TS, just a missed DD.  So hopefully at least one of the others knew it.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I thought Ashwin said "elwin" instead of Edelweiss.  The Betty White TS was funny. 

I thought he said “aleweiss”. I didn’t hear the “D” but that may have just been me.

Hannah had it knocked down from 4 possibilities to 2 thanks to the wrong guesses and still couldn’t come up with it. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

But I didn't run a damn thing in DJ.The only one I came close in was stock symbols, where I missed one (Occidental).  I should have got all but one in northern, too, but I could not for the life of me remember the North Pole guy, so I missed two.

Yeah, Occidental was the only one I missed in "Stock Symbols" as well. The first thing i think of when I see OXY isn't petroleum.

And when I hear polar exploration my mind goes to Amundsen. Think it's because there's an Amundsen High School about a mile and a half down the road that some family friends went to back in the day.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

I said Selma. For some reason I always mix up those 2 Alabama cities. 

I got the TS of Betty White, although I wasn't a huge fan of the show, I did see it a few times back in the day. Never heard of low tea.Did well in the Baking, Take me to Church, Stock Symbols and Rose categories, Missed the dude answer in Slang Espanol.

For FJ my mind went to Chicago but my brain couldn't come up with the Cubs. I could only think of the White Sox.  Was a huge baseball fan as a kid, but more familiar with the AL teams being a NY Yankees fan.

• Like 1

I’ve never heard of low tea, and I thought high tea was in the afternoon. So clearly my tea knowledge is lacking.

Ashwin said eidelweiss, he just Americanized the pronunciation. “ee-del-wice”, I believe, instead of “a-del-vice”.

No FJ for me, although it was an “of course” moment when it was revealed. I think of sports team names, my head starts spinning, and nothing productive can happen. The closest I got was White Sox— because they’re cleaner and fresher than Red Sox?

To be fair, I don’t think it was a Betty White TS as much as a Golden Girls TS. And I wouldn’t really expect anyone under the age of 50 to know that show (and especially who played which character) unless they spend a lot of time watching the Hallmark Channel. My knowledge of GG is vast, however.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Sandiscot said:

There's no such thing as "low tea". It's "afternoon tea" as Mayim said, but "low tea" was wrong.

I have never heard of it being described as low tea, but the Oxford English Dictionary has an entry for the phrase so I think they had to rule it correct.

Screenshot_20230506_064408_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ae1bbfbd204c4b6938079bf6721e28ca.jpg

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
2 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I have never heard of it being described as low tea, but the Oxford English Dictionary has an entry for the phrase so I think they had to rule it correct.

Screenshot_20230506_064408_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ae1bbfbd204c4b6938079bf6721e28ca.jpg

I don't like tea and didn't know this. But meat in the afternoon with tea?  Seems odd. I've only heard of high tea.  Had no idea that's the difference. 

Wonder if it's one of those technical definitions for a phrase no one actually uses.  Any British or tea country drinking fans want to chime in?

I got final jeopardy even though I didn't know that was the origin of the name. Only a couple cities had two teams and new york at the time was giants snd Yankees so those didn't make sense. Cubs did. 

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I don't like tea and didn't know this. But meat in the afternoon with tea?  Seems odd. I've only heard of high tea.  Had no idea that's the difference. 

I like tea but my afternoon tea is just, well, tea. (Usually herbal, because I try to restrict my caffeine intake to the morning.)

• Like 1
(edited)

The tea pictured is what I call a cream tea.  Mayim’s sitcom may have been cancelled in part due to Leslie Jordan’s death.  He was the only decent thing on the show.

Edited by PaulaO
  • Sad 3
3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Wonder if it's one of those technical definitions for a phrase no one actually uses.  Any British or tea country drinking fans want to chime in?

High Tea will include small--picture a standard slice of white bread cut into four pieces for size reference--finger sandwiches on squares or triangles of crustless bread. Some of these, but definitely not all, may include small portions of ham, chicken or salmon. Meatless sandwiches such as cucumber or egg would also be served, along with the sweeter options from a standard Afternoon Tea.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
12 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

I said Selma. For some reason I always mix up those 2 Alabama cities. 

That's an error I can get over! But the answer given indicated that he didn't even know it was in the USA; it wasn't ringing even a tiny bit of a bell for him. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Call me Kat, mayims (dreadful) sitcom was cancelled.  

Hopefully doesn't lead to her hosting more next season. 

If that happened, I think there would be a virtual stampede at the Jeopardy gates. The temporary swaps produce enough angst and backlash as it is.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

After the "auditions" for the new host of Jeopardy! after Alex's death, Mike Richards became the host of the syndicated "regular" show and Mayim was hired to host primetime events. I think Ken may have been under consideration, but he was involved with "The Chase". Anyway, soon after the new hosts were chosen Mike Richards was fired due to offensive comments he made and Mayim took over for him. Some time after that Ken came back as a guest host (he was announced as "hosting Jeopardy") and alternated hosting duties with Mayim. It was announced that he would become a permanent host last summer. I don't think any schedule has been announced for season 40 - who knows what will happen now that "Call Me Kat" has been cancelled.

If any of this is incorrect feel free to post what I missed. If I had my druthers I would have Ken be the solo host of the syndicated show like Mike was supposed to be and have Mayim do the primetime shows like Celebrity Jeopardy!

• Like 6
12 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

And I wouldn’t really expect anyone under the age of 50 to know that show (and especially who played which character) unless they spend a lot of time watching the Hallmark Channel.

Or TVLand.  Or CMT.  It's syndicated on three stations these days, and streams on Hulu.  I think it's been in syndication ever since it stopped airing, and has risen in popularity over the years.  It was even one of the most-watched shows in 2020 (when we were stuck at home).  It's quite popular in the LGBT+ community, and generates all kinds of think pieces about why it's just as popular with young audiences as those the Girls' ages then and especially now.

5 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

[Looks around]

Nope, still can't locate a single shit to give how they divvy up who hosts what when.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, possibilities said:

I keep hearing rumors that Mayim is considering joining a BBT reboot of some kind? If so, that would probably take up her schedule full time.

A reboot?  Seems like the show just ended and the spinoff young Sheldon is still on

But fine by me

There's a bunch of speculation about a new TBBT spinoff show on the last page of The Big Bang Theory thread if anyone's interested. The thread can be found by clicking on the "Other Comedies" forum.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

So, she's in not in talks for the BBT reboot but she IS in talks for the Blossom reboot-- that also sounds like it would be  time-consuming job if it comes to fruition.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
On 5/6/2023 at 9:50 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

I hope it does!

• Like 1

May 8:

63% / 57% / 60%

Off to another great start to the week 🙄...in J! I ran Scandal, missed one in Consonant Craving, two in Gone Fishin' and Children's Lit, and three in Pop Music and Yeet. In DJ I missed one in "B" Cool, four in American Woman, and two in everything else. Did not get FJ (I should be ashamed, given that I work for a certain bookseller, but in my defense, I do not work with titles and that book came out after I left the stores, and I've never read it).

TSes were Mommies, Utah, and Solzhenitsyn (I think I said it right, or at least consistent enough with the spelling, so I'm giving myself credit; I need all I can get).

• Like 3