Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

To be fair, the clue didn't say anything about direction.

No, but it did say Denver is between the other two cities on the highway. So that would be one crazy U-shaped road! Or, maybe, we’ve finally found someone who’s even worse at geography than I am. 😉

• LOL 7
12 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

No, but it did say Denver is between the other two cities on the highway. So that would be one crazy U-shaped road! Or, maybe, we’ve finally found someone who’s even worse at geography than I am. 😉

I'm horrible at geography.  But as a New Englander, I knew that had to be worse than my guess (which turned out to be right).

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

When I was younger my mom always said I was an advertiser's worst nightmare.  I would remember commercials, but not what they were for.  I would either completely just not know, or think they were something entirely different.

That's me - I can never remember whether an ad is for FedEx or UPS, any particular insurance company, etc. They waste their money on me.

1 hour ago, SyracuseMug said:

Even numbers of the Interstate generally run east/west, while odd numbers run north/south. I figure this should be common knowledge, especially among Jeopardy contestants. 😉

Even though I traveled those roads (north/south, east west) many times as a kid, I never knew that. So now I do (until I forget it - 😉)

This is the first highway clue I recall that put this particular piece of knowledge into play - but then again, I wouldn't have gotten it if there had been a clue, so I could very well be wrong.

• Like 2

April 25:

67% / 67% / 66%

Not great but better than yesterday… in J! I ran No-S Plurals, missed one in Bar Lines, two in Centaur, Reading Music, and Sharps & Flats, and three in State Nicknames. In DJ I ran Writers, missed one Abbey and Mo-"V", two in Separation, and three in Statesmen & Women and 11-letter Words.

Not a clue for FJ (I was five when Magnum PI started; not exactly on my to-watch list), though I got it as soon as Ken said it was filmed in Hawaii.

TSes were opera, Joyce Kilmer, and filet knife.

Because I'm sure someone will want to check it out: 

Pigs by Johanna Stoberock; she also has one called City of Ghosts.

• Like 3

MASH???? I guess they just picked a "long running TV show that ended in the 80s on CBS" without thinking "why would they reuse a studio? Oh! Magnum is in HAWAII. Pick a HAWAIIAN based TV Show". Maybe they just didn't realize that H50 just ended in 1980 (12 seasons!) Well, at least I get a * out of it! I got the TS of KC (Kansas City) & Joyce Kilmer

• Like 8

I did get FJ and because of the Hawaii connection but I never watched either show.

I am a Sagittarius so I always love a Sagittarius clue, I got that one plus choirmaster, Kilmer and filet knife.

I just had 3 days on my Jeopardy calendar of Authors: Born and Died so when the Writers category was shown I had a major case of déjà vu.

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Got home just in time for FJ. How was that not an instaget? Did they overthink it?

Haha. Maybe would have been an instaget if I’d had any idea that Magnum was in Hawaii. And I was even watching tv in that era. Guess I must have been watching whatever was on one of the other two channels. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Not an instaget, but I did make the leap from Magnum P. I. to Hawaii to Hawaii 5-0. Can't believe not one but two of them said M.A.S.H. I did briefly think of Mannix because of "P.I." but then got to the right answer as noted above.

Only 2 TS - New Hampshire and Kansas City.  Should have had Joyce Kilmer but I couldn't pull it out of the recesses of my brain.

Three really bad categories - didn't get any in Reading Music (should have had Elton John but I was focused on the Donald Duck part of the clue and missed the Your Song part). Only got 1 in 11-Letter Words and Writers: Born & Died. On the other hand I got 4 right in The Centaur of Attention, The No-s Plural of... and Downtown Abbey.

• Like 3

The Kansas City TS surprised me a bit, as did opera and underwriters, but all just a bit.

I was, to the surprise of no one, terrible in centaurs, only coming up with Michelango.  It wasn't a stellar first round period; I only ran plurals.  But it wasn't terrible other than that one category -- I missed two in sharps & flats and got all but one in the rest.

In DJ, writers were my weak category; I missed three.  Other than that, I did well for DJ; I ran separation and movies, got all but one in statespeople and abbeys, and missed two in words.

For FJ, I was initially just trying to think what long-running '70s show would have come to an end right before it started, and then it popped into my mind that the show filmed in Hawaii, not L.A. (I was never a big fan, but saw it several times back in the day because my parents watched it).  Then Hawaii Five-O instantly sprang to mind; I never watched that one, but as soon as I thought Hawaii, the Five-O automatically followed, and the timing sounded right so I knew that had to be it.  Especially with the bit about Magnum mentioning the other show's lead character -- 5-0 is obviously about cops and P.I. obviously about a private investigator, so it makes sense the characters would be aware of each other.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, SyracuseMug said:

Even numbers of the Interstate generally run east/west, while odd numbers run north/south. I figure this should be common knowledge, especially among Jeopardy contestants. 😉

And they run numerically from west to east, south to north. So I-25 would have to be a north/south highway, east of California. The 3-digit interstates are also coded - if the first digit is even, it's a bypass/beltline. If it's odd it's a spur.

It's not a strict rule, though. While I-85 is in between 75 and 95 in the north (well, NC & VA, where it ends,) it crosses 75 in Atlanta, so that it's actually west of I-75 in the south. It's more of a diagonal highway than a strict N/S.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Then Hawaii Five-O instantly sprang to mind; I never watched that one, but as soon as I thought Hawaii, the Five-O automatically followed, and the timing sounded right so I knew that had to be it.  

I talked myself out of Hawaii 5-0 because although that was the only other Hawaii-based show that came to mind I didn't know enough about it to consider it long-running. 

• Like 2
13 hours ago, SyracuseMug said:

That’s one of the many tid-bits my dad made sure that I knew before the age of 7 or 8, or so.  Others among them included being able to say “I am an American” in 6 languages, being able to identify all parts of a two-cycle engine and how to very accurately choose  the thoroughbred that would win the next race.  I’ve visited all but one of the 6 countries, a few, several times, and never needed to utter “I am an American”.  The others have been used manny times.  Dads can be funny.

• Like 4
  • LOL 6
  • Love 4

Tuesday’s FJ of Hawaii 5-0 was an instaget because Mom and Dad lived on The Big Island for their last 30 years, and I still often wish I was living there, but the scenery is about the only reason to ever watch those shows, so I am not too surprised the contestants all missed it. 
(But likewise, I got the recent Hawaiian Airlines response.) 
I was repeatedly yelling “KC” for the TS of “this Missouri city known by a 2-letter moniker.” Perhaps “Missouri” made at least one of them second-guess Kansas City.

For Monday’s FJ, I considered Boise, Idaho and then got stuck in Wyoming when the Think Music ran out. 
The TS of “knight and pawn” opening move pieces surprised me. I thought most Jeopardy! contestants would also be chess players. Is chess no longer popular? 
In the Beatles category, I got the TS of “She Loves You” by singing it (of course) and would have gotten the other TSs of “Strawberry Fields Forever” and “She Came In Through The Bathroom Window” if I’d had a moment to get there🎼 but Jeopardy! is a game of speed, and those are both slower songs.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3

Also reference posts on highways run south to north and east to west. 

And they are not mile markers, they're reference posts. They're about every mile but it's impossible to put them exactly every mile due to things along the road that get in the way.  So they're reference posts.  

Spent two summers working for indiana department of transportation. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 6

I didn't think of Hawaii 5-0 either.  My only guess was The Rockford Files, only because Tom Selleck had a recurring role as a rival P.I. to Jim Rockford, so I thought there was a connection between the two shows.  Although Selleck's character on The Rockford Files was not Thomas Magnum.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I didn't think of Hawaii 5-0 either.  My only guess was The Rockford Files, only because Tom Selleck had a recurring role as a rival P.I. to Jim Rockford, so I thought there was a connection between the two shows.  Although Selleck's character on The Rockford Files was not Thomas Magnum.

Didn't Selleck play some type of goody two shoes character who irritated the heck out of Rockford? Was his name Lance? And things always worked out for him (but, of course, not for Rockford) ? I loved The Rockford Files.

• Like 2

I’m in my 60s so Hawaii 50 was an instantaneous no brainer. I was really surprised that the older contestants didn’t get that. Magnum wore Hawaiian shirts and the 50 theme song is the melody of my teen years. 

• Like 3

I also got FJ for Tuesday's show, making the Hawaii connection.  I can't believe two of them guessed MASH -- it was not a drama!  The clue specified long-running drama!  Also, this was another fine example of why the player in 3rd place should have bet zero.

I only got two TS, though -- Joyce Kilmer and filet knife.

• Like 2

I said marx didn't think it was right and changed it to Warner.

I got the missed clues of Poland, Ankara, Robin Wiliams, javelina and water buffalo.

I got the entire category of ungulates right.  Who knew I was such an expert?

• Like 2
  • Applause 3

I got Carol Burnett because it was all over Twitter that today was her birthday.

I got the Warner brothers because I watched a documentary about Jack Warner last week.

Also got Robin Williams and the Black Hole of Calcutta, and I knew the Turkey one started with an A but it refused to come out of my brain.

• Like 2

I said Marx, but I knew it was wrong.  I knew it had to be something studio related, but Warner just would not come to my brain.  

But I did get the TS of Poland, Black Hole of Calcutta, Ankara, Robin Williams, Carol Burnett, and javelina.

• Like 4

April 26:

73% / 67% / 69%

Had a late meeting and then had to stop at the grocery store so I played via the archive while I was waiting for my meeting to start (because I should have left half an hour before).

This week is going pretty meh...In J! I ran Top to Bottom, missed one in Rihanna (I knew it was an Ocean's movie but I didn't know what number), Confidence, and Vodka Brands, and two in Historical Potpourri (I knew it was a Hole but I couldn't come up with the full name). In DJ I ran 4-Syllable Words, missed one each in Comedians and Ungulates, two Parent Companies, and three New Capitals and Whistleblowers. Did not get FJ (I, too, thought Marx Brothers).

There were twelve TSes today (4 in J! and 8 in DJ)! I got Poland (don't think I've ever heard of the brand, but it sounded Polish…), Carol Burnett (I've been seeing the ads for the special that's on tonight for a couple weeks now; actually watching it as I type, though I turned it on about 15 minutes in), Robin Williams (sad he was a TS….), javelina, and water buffalo.

• Like 2

If you count the missed DDs there were 2 more "TSs" (I'm kinda surprised that they cleared both boards with all the missed clues).  I got Ankara (DD) along with the Black Hole of Calcutta, Poland, Arthur Andersen and Carol Burnett (I too am watching  the special and saw the promos, but would have gotten it anyway from the reference to "Went with the WInd")

Didn't get FJ - I considered the Marx Brothers but didn't think that was right. Finally went with Jolson since I knew he was in the movie but didn't think that was right either - and it wasn't.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I got the Warner Brothers only because I read an article on them a couple of weeks ago where it was mentioned that one died right before the movie premier.

I'm shocked that not one of the three contestants was familiar with Went With the Wind and Rancid Harvest. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

That was a nice, evenly-matched game throughout.  I was hoping Johanna would repeat, if for no other reason than the shallow -- I really liked the color of her top. 

I liked Ken's ear tug shout-out to Carol Burnett.

The water buffalo TS surprised me a little, since we got three pieces of information -- heavy, two-word name, and one of those words is a liquid.

I ran vodka, confidence, and top to bottom, but I did not do as well as I typically do in the first round; I missed three in Brit Lit and two each in history and Rihanna.

I did really well in DJ, though; I missed two in comedians (I got Carol Burnett, but not the other two TS), but ran capitals, words, and whistleblowers, and got all but one in the rest (only missing one, rather than two, in parent companies was thanks to someone here recently mentioning Alphabet).

I got FJ after some contemplation.  The only actor in that film famous enough to be asked about in a FJ clue is Al Jolson, but he wasn't part of a famous family, so switched to trying to think of who directed it (I had no idea) or produced it -- that's when the light bulb went on that it was a Warner Bros. film.  And I knew there were four of them, so that was definitely it.  That was fun; I love a good instaget, of course, but I also enjoy when I successfully reason my way to a correct FJ response.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 4
5 hours ago, Katy M said:

I said marx didn't think it was right and changed it to Warner.

I got the missed clues of Poland, Ankara, Robin Wiliams, javelina and water buffalo.

I got the entire category of ungulates right.  Who knew I was such an expert?

I also aced the ungulates!  Ain’t we something?!  If I had been asked prior to the episode, to name all of the ungulates that I knew, I’d have answered “uhhh cow??”

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
19 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

I’m in my 60s so Hawaii 50 was an instantaneous no brainer. I was really surprised that the older contestants didn’t get that. Magnum wore Hawaiian shirts and the 50 theme song is the melody of my teen years. 

Not to mention (also being in my 60s) that he was pretty darned hot (Hawaiian shirts nothwithstanding)

14 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I'm shocked that not one of the three contestants was familiar with Went With the Wind and Rancid Harvest. 

That was a smack my head moment - I must have spaced at some point and definitely didn't absorb "Went with the Wind" - so I got it wrong. I have no idea right now who I said. I mean, it's iconic and I missed it. Sigh...

I said Marx brothers too, oh well.

It was a pretty decent game, though I didn't run anything.

• Like 1

I can't believe none of the contestants got FJ either Tuesday or last night.  Okay, so last night's was a little trickier and the answers weren't terrible.  But Tuesday's was a ridiculously easy one: show shot in Hawaii referencing another long-running show shot in Hawaii and not a single one of them guessed Hawaii 5-0?  I can believe that maybe one of them had no knowledge whatsoever of Magnum P.I. and thus didn't know it took place in Hawaii, but all three of them?  Oy vey.

Or maybe it was just a brain fart, like my saying that Albuquerque was the capital of New Mexico when I know damned well it's Santa Fe since I've actually been there.  Didn't get Cheyenne, said Helena, MT, instead so I'd have blown that FJ anyway.  But at least I knew the two capitals were in the Rockies.

On 4/22/2023 at 11:42 PM, 30 Helens said:

Yeah, I think that’s right. There have been plenty of times when $1 was the winning total, and that’s all they got. The main prize is supposed to be the title and the opportunity to return, and for many of them, I assume that’s enough. (Although I’m sure they appreciate having their airfare covered, at least.)

That's how it works.  The champ wins whatever their total is at the end of FJ.  Which can suck if it's less than the consolation prize money given to the other contestants.  But you still get bragging rights and you get to play another game.  You don't, however, get your airfare and hotel covered unless your run continues from one week to the next, in which case the show does pay to fly you back.

On 4/25/2023 at 11:44 AM, Clanstarling said:

I could have sworn that the ape ad was for Samsonite - the advertisers missed the boat there, at least for me.

Me, too, but from the clue, it sounds like most people think it was for Samsonite.  I guess it's the one luggage brand we actually remember.

• Like 4
17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I said Marx, but I knew it was wrong.  I knew it had to be something studio related, but Warner just would not come to my brain.  

Same here. I did also briefly consider the Howards - Moe, Curly, and Shemp but had no idea if they even had another brother who may or may not have died, but was pretty sure it was a studio thing.

I did get the ts's or missed DDs of Poland, Black Hole of Calcutta, Robin Williams, and water buffalo.

I can't remember who won the game.  The contestants haven't been making much impression on me lately.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Trey said:

I can't remember who won the game.  The contestants haven't been making much impression on me lately.

lol...I played on the archive and realized later I didn't even look to see who won. I did check later and saw it wasn't the champ, but since I didn't see the other players I still really have no idea (other than their name is Jesse).

edit: I was guessing Jesse was a guy from the spelling, but I just went to the J! contestant page out of curiosity; he's pretty cute.

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 1

Since I'll be watching the NFL draft andTop Chef tonight instead, I just checked the archive.

I was way off my game in the first round; I didn't run a single category.  I got all but one in tour, A_B_C_D, and mammals (frequently by guessing in that one, but it counts), but I missed two each in the rest (but I did get the Martha Mitchell TS even without being able to see the picture, plus the "above and beyond the call of duty" TS).

I got a little better in DJ; I ran produce and before & after and got all but one in H and films.  I missed three each in tanks and biographies.  A lot of my misses in this round were TS (the three biographies, Heliopolis, Russell Crowe, and leopard) so at least I was in good company.

I had absolutely no idea for FJ, though.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2

For some reason, I almost changed my answer to Ataturk, but luckily did not and thus got Fj right.

I got the missed clues of lady of the lake, sour grapes, the Waste Land, Kaiser Wilhelm and buttery.

Good game for me.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
5 minutes ago, opus said:

Hannibal was an answer in both rounds tonight. First the TV show, then Missouri.

I noticed that too! I thought it was funny. Didn't do great, I got the TSs of boater and celery and the missed DDs of Wilhelm and sour grapes. And I pre-guessed abracadabra.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Sadly, I did not get FJ tonight.  It was one that I could have sat here for a week and not come up with it.

The only TS I got were Lady of the Lake, boater, sour grapes, Keats, and buttery.  I thought about celery, but didn't say it out loud, so I don't count it.

• Like 2

I knew it was Saladin. Unfortunately, I now have the theme song of Have Gun Will Travel running in my head. Saladin, Saladin where do you roam/Saladin, Saladin far, far from home...I guess you'd have to change gun to sword although fast sword for hire just doesn't sound right.

Edited by ABay
  • Like 1
  • LOL 6
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I got the missed clues of lady of the lake, sour grapes, the Waste Land, Kaiser Wilhelm and buttery.

I was trying to think whether the lady of the lake had a name so might not have ventured a guess.

I was surprised that the pear clue included the accent on beurré and then Ken just didn't pronounce it. 

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, ABay said:

I knew it was Saladin. Unfortunately, I now have the theme song of Have Gun Will Travel running in my head. Saladin, Saladin where do you roam/Saladin, Saladin far, far from home...I guess you'd have to change gun to sword although fast sword for hire just doesn't sound right.

Have Gun Will Travel was Paladin, not Saladin.

Even more TSs/missed DDs in today's game than yesterday. I got Iolani Palace, Kaiser Wilhelm (DD), buttery and celery. I got Helio but couldn't pull polis out of my brain. Way too many TSs I didn't get though.

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
Just now, chicagofan said:

Have Gun Will Travel was Paladin, not Saladin

Yes, that was my point. Saladin rhymes with Paladin and that led me to Have Gun Will Travel.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I was trying to think whether the lady of the lake had a name so might not have ventured a guess.

She was apparently known by many different names, including Nimue, Vivian, and Elaine.

I knew Martha Mitchell, the Lady of the Lake, above and beyond the call of duty, Heliopolis, the sour grapes DD, Russell Crowe, celery, The Waste Land, and Jean Rhys. For FJ I thought first of Suleiman and then of Genghis Khan. 

The "above and beyond" phrase reminded me of a former school job where they would give out "ABCD awards" at faculty meetings, for those who did extra things. I also thought of the name Abcde (pronounced AB-city). A Southwest Airlines gate agent got in trouble back in 2018 for making fun of the name.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

She was apparently known by many different names, including Nimue, Vivian, and Elaine.

And Nimue was in the clue. It would probably be weird to respond that Nimue became Vivian since they are just alternate versions of the legend. Aside from Jesse's confusion over "this sword" vs "this sword[-]giver" I think they could have tightened up the wording to make it clearer what they were after. (Or gone in a different direction to have Excalibur or King Arthur as the response.)

• Like 1

I wasn't home to keep score and I should be getting ready for bed, but I know I got at least a few TSes - boater, sour grapes, Keats, celery. Not sure if anything else (those are just the ones I saw others mention that I know I got).

Did not get FJ. 0 for 4 so far this week...

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 2

You might want to check the J Archive since there were 16 TSs/missed DDs today.

And the idea of Agatha Christie as a surfer 🏄‍♂️ kinda blows my mind, although in my head I'm visualizing Miss Marple hanging ten.

• Like 2
  • Fire 2
  • LOL 5
2 minutes ago, chicagofan said:

And the idea of Agatha Christie as a surfer 🏄‍♂️ kinda blows my mind, although in my head I'm visualizing Miss Marple hanging ten.

I read her autobiography and she learned to surf in South Africa? with her then husband Archie Christie they also surfed in Hawaii. They were on a trip that took them around the world.

I found this: https://lisawallerrogers.com/tag/archie-christie/

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 5