Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: ...lived the dream

• Start Topic

Damn it show. Another cliffhanger. This show makes me cry more than I admit, but Devi and how her relationship with her mom has evolved the past three seasons has been so lovely to watch.

I guess they found a reason to keep Trent for next season, and if they are going to continue with the summer I guess Paxton will be around as well. Glad they are (hopefully) doing away with the triangle next season. Ben and Devi always made so much sense together. Don’t mess it up show, unless the art tutor is going to be the new triangle? 

Edited by twoods
  • Like 4
  • Love 7

I enjoyed the season.

I have always been Team Ben. 

I was surprised at how fast Devi/Paxton broke up. I thought they would break up later in the season. 

It seems maybe the triangle is over...?

I wonder how much/if Paxton will be in the next season.

• Like 7
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, backhometome said:

I enjoyed the season.

I have always been Team Ben. 

I was surprised at how fast Devi/Paxton broke up. I thought they would break up later in the season. 

It seems maybe the triangle is over...?

I wonder how much/if Paxton will be in the next season.

TeamBen (if the choice is Ben or Paxton) as well since I felt Benvi just fit better as a couple than Paxvi.

As for the actor who portrays Paxton, after I saw him in the Netflix Christmas movie with Jimmy O. Yang and Nina Dobrev, I can’t see Paxton as a high school guy anymore. Further, his storyline seems finished (he’s matured emotionally and psychologically) so there’s really no reason for him to return.

But my preferred pairing is Des and Devi because I think she is most emotionally centered with him and they mesh intellectually as well. Sucks they made Des’s mom think Devi was so unstable like she would have turned into a killer or something! 

Edited by norcalgal
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

I was also wondering if this school was a normal private school or just a college prep based high school for seniors only. Plot point to bring on the emotional growth (and tears) between Devi and her mom, and for Ben to tell her he would miss her. It worked! I’m sure next year will be more implausible plotlines but these characters and actors make it work, so I will continue to be emotionally manipulated yet still love it all.

Speaking of emotional growth, it was really nice to see Devi grow as a friend and daughter. She was so sucked into Paxton world the first season (as a way to not deal with her father’s death) and had so much anger, that she was terrible to her friends and it was difficult to watch. She was so much more supportive and there for them this season. I really do love their friendship, and adding Aneesa season two has only made it better.

Edited by twoods
  • Like 4
  • Love 5

Is Paxton not coming back? His storyline and evolution is the most complete amongst the characters. I actually enjoyed this season quite a bit but the ending turned me off. 

I am NOT a fan of Devi pairing up with Ben. I hope this is brief. Also, what happened to Aneesa? 

I am loving Kamala and Manish. I need to see how Nirmala interacting with Manish’s westernized parents as they visit for the wedding (I am manifesting it).

• Love 7
9 hours ago, memememe76 said:

Is Paxton not coming back? His storyline and evolution is the most complete amongst the characters. I actually enjoyed this season quite a bit but the ending turned me off. 

I am NOT a fan of Devi pairing up with Ben. I hope this is brief. Also, what happened to Aneesa? 

I am loving Kamala and Manish. I need to see how Nirmala interacting with Manish’s westernized parents as they visit for the wedding (I am manifesting it).

I thought this was the final season? 

It’s supposed to be coming out next summer. I don’t know how they can torture us with waiting an entire year when they already filmed season 4. It’s madness!

I know that Ben has been an asshole since season one, but I like how all of the characters aren’t black and white. He had a lot of growth as well at the end of season one with helping Devi mend her relationship with her mom and friends, then in season two with helping her when Paxton was a jerk to her. Even this season when he was being arrogant, he got rightfully called out by Aneesa, Fabiola, and the art tutor and seemed apologetic. I’m guessing since they had Paxton and Devi mature so much this season it’s his turn next season. Plus, the actor has great chemistry with everyone and makes his character work. I can’t hate him even if I was supposed to.

Edited by twoods
  • Like 4
  • Love 6

Ugh. Come one! That tool? I didnt want Devi to end up with anyone, but if I were to choose it would be Paxton over Ben. Ben has had 1.5 episodes of not being a condescending asshole, but he has shown little to no growth. I guess the Ben centered episode was to redeem him and show him as somewhat worthy, but he is still a tool. 

• Applause 2
  • Love 3

I hope the next season begins with a reveal that there was coitus interruptus in the Gross bedroom -- meaning the nanny walked in to get his laundry or something.
If not that, I hope it was a one-off, and Ben and Devi decide to be "just friends." 

Good choice to have Trent not graduate. It's believable, and he adds a lot of great comedy.

Excellent writing/acting/directing with Devi's choice to not-go/go/not-go away for her senior year. 
It was very mature that she stayed because she valued her time with her mom rather than her friends. 
(Suck that, Rhyah.)

Ben was the quintessential annoying 14-year-old boy for 3 seasons, he was due to mature. Maybe he won't be so awful in the last season.

• Love 4

I thought that they would be waiting to use that Free Bone card in the future, I didn't see that pay off coming so quickly! I tend to like Ben/Davi the most of her potential love interests, but I hope he matures a lot going forward. I do think he has become a much better person as the show has gone on, especially this season, but I can see him really working on himself like Davi and Paxton have going forward. Like a lot of the characters, a lot of his meanness comes from insecurities. I never much cared for Paxton at first, but he has had a really nice believable arc, and if this is the last we see of him, I would miss him but be satisfied with this ending for him. I thought his last scenes with Davi were great, especially when Davi thanked him for helping her deal with her dads death, in a weird kind of way. He was sort of a celebrity crush of sorts for her, something to focus on besides her grief, which meant that their real relationship was probably never going to live up to those expectations, but it was something that meant a lot to her. 

I thought this was a really good season, I think they used the whole cast really well (although I would have liked to see more Aneesa) and Davi really showed how much she has grown as a person. She can still get angry, selfish, or insecure, but she has shown a lot more maturity when dealing with her anger, has become more confident, and has shown a lot more empathy towards her family and friends, especially her mom. Seeing her and her mom get closer has been the shows biggest highlight, they've come so far from the first season when they could hardly have one conversation without fighting. 

I am glad that Trent will be sticking around, he's still the best. I like that all of the characters have so much more going on than they appear to at first, they have good sides and bad sides and can be immature and annoying, but you can still feel for them, it feels very true to being a teenager. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

As I recall, Ben was very nice to Devi when she stayed with him after running away from home. But I agree that his obnoxiousness when feeling insecure or superior has always been a serious character flaw.

Although I did think in the episode from his perspective this season, it was Devi who came off as meaner towards him. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
55 minutes ago, Artsda said:

I think she should have chosen the private school. 

At first I too thought it was a mistake for Devi not to go to the private school, but she still seems to be making immature choices, so maybe staying home another year is better?
But I was a straight-A junior who was sent to college a year early and wound up self-medicating by binge drinking my first semester, so that is coloring my perspective.
I do think Devi might be safer at home for another year of growing up, especially since her home life is not impacted by violence or poverty.
By "safer" I mean safe from herself as much as anything else. Wasn't there a throw-away line in which Devi suggested sleeping with a professor?? 
Also, Pati may be too strict or too old school, but she cares about Devi, and is another watchful presence in the home.

But, of course, the real reason for Devi to stay in high school for her senior year (and for Trent to not graduate) is so we viewers can have more of the various characters we already know.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

I think her reasons for staying home another year were actually pretty mature.  She had a major loss.  She's decided not to spend an unnecessary year away from her mother because she recognizes how valuable that time is.  Sure,the school might guarantee her entrance into an Ivy League school but this is similar to what happened with Ben.  Even if she doesn't get into her top choice, she's still set up quite well to get into a good school.

Had she stayed for a boy? Yeah. Dumb.  But to soak up family time?  Especially now that she's finally stabilizing again.  It's cool.

• Like 3
  • Love 14

I loved that they showed the boarding school, though, and how it was a revelation to her that she could be smart and also socially accepted, that she could be herself and find others like her, and that she wasn't "uncool"-- she was just not used to being around people like herself. 

And then she also realized that she could be herself and "fit in" and be accepted among people who she grew up around, who were not exactly like her, too. 

That in itself seemed like a real "aha" and growth leap. She wasn't running away and she wasn't clinging. She realized she could thrive in either place.

But she decided that her relationship with her mother, which had been very difficult, was precious to her, and that after losing her father she didn't want to lose the chance to fully bond with her mom before she left home. 

I was fine with it. Whatever way she went, it was set up to be a good decision.

But also, yes, they wanted to get another season of the show, with all the characters we already knew, so they had to keep her in place. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, possibilities said:

I loved that they showed the boarding school, though, and how it was a revelation to her that she could be smart and also socially accepted, that she could be herself and find others like her, and that she wasn't "uncool"-- she was just not used to being around people like herself. 

And then she also realized that she could be herself and "fit in" and be accepted among people who she grew up around, who were not exactly like her, too. 

That in itself seemed like a real "aha" and growth leap. She wasn't running away and she wasn't clinging. She realized she could thrive in either place.

But she decided that her relationship with her mother, which had been very difficult, was precious to her, and that after losing her father she didn't want to lose the chance to fully bond with her mom before she left home. 

I was fine with it. Whatever way she went, it was set up to be a good decision.

But also, yes, they wanted to get another season of the show, with all the characters we already knew, so they had to keep her in place. 

Right! It wasn't so much about the choice as about how seeing other options gave Devi a new perspective of her self in the world!

• Like 2
  • Love 2
44 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

It wasn't so much about the choice as about how seeing other options gave Devi a new perspective of her self in the world!

Which is exactly why her therapist wanted Devi to at least visit the school.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Which is exactly why her therapist wanted Devi to at least visit the school.

Which is why Devi should always listen to the good doctor! Devi is so used to being told at school that she had to choose between being smart and accepted that it was this huge revaluation for her that there are places where she can be both. 

• Like 4
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Devi is so used to being told at school that she had to choose between being smart and accepted that it was this huge revaluation for her that there are places where she can be both. 

Like in the future. 

• Love 1
On 8/14/2022 at 6:58 PM, memememe76 said:

I need to see how Nirmala interacting with Manish’s westernized parents as they visit for the wedding (I am manifesting it).

I just want an episode where we follow Nirmala around for a week. Not sure who I want to narrate it though.

Also, what's the over-under than Ben and Devi actually do the deed? Based on the fact we only saw kissing and not more, I'm guessing that either be was showering before heading out on the date or that something else interrupts them.

• Love 2

Yeah I doubt they will have sex. Patty will probably interrupt them, Devi will see a text from the girl Ben was supposed to be going out with, or Ben will get into his head too much (he isn’t as adequate as Paxton, he’s just a rebound from Des) and stop it. I’m sure season 4 will be about Ben maturing. Devi will probably end up being valedictorian or Ben doesn’t get into Columbia, which freaks him out so they break up and he goes back to being a jerk who is better off alone, but somehow redeems himself at the end of the series. They can’t have an entire season of them being happy dorks together since this is a teen show, so there will unfortunately be a few roadblocks. 

I really hope we get to see more Manish and Kamala next season. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, twoods said:

Yeah I doubt they will have sex. Patty will probably interrupt them,...They can’t have an entire season of them being happy dorks together since this is a teen show, so there will unfortunately be a few roadblocks. 

I hope they are interrupted and lots of road blocks, heh. 
I still prefer that they are friends and not life partners because I hate bickering couples, no matter how much they may claim it's good for their relationship blah blah blah. Just. No.
Since Pati came around to accept Manish, maybe Rhyah will come to accept Devi. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Since Pati came around to accept Manish, maybe Rhyah will come to accept Devi. 

Rhyah does need some redemption. She's a total villain right now. But Des also needs to make some kind of amends before I'd forgive him for how easily he dumped Devi. I get that it's hard to go against your parent, but he was willing to sneak around with her until he heard "she has problems" and he just came off weak in how easily he gave up. He didn't even try to argue for the relationship.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

Rhyah does need some redemption. She's a total villain right now. But Des also needs to make some kind of amends before I'd forgive him for how easily he dumped Devi. I get that it's hard to go against your parent, but he was willing to sneak around with her until he heard "she has problems" and he just came off weak in how easily he gave up. He didn't even try to argue for the relationship.

True.
If this was a lesser show with drama for the sake of Drama and ratings, I could imagine a season 8 (which this show is not doing; 4 is the last) Rhyah realizing post-college, more mature Devi is So. Much. Better. than any of the other girls Des has been interested in (or Rhyah has been interested in for Des, hah!), and Rhyah tries to rekindle the once-organically hot romance, but neither Devi nor Des is having it.

• Like 2

I still prefer that they are friends and not life partners

I hope that they have sex, and then decide to be friends and NONE of these teenagers end up with each other for life! I'm definitely down to watch Season 4 and see the fallout of whatever happens here, but IMO, the series should end with everyone going to their separate ways (college or not) and moving on with their lives. They can all be [insert social media platform of the day] friends forever!

• Like 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Eeksquire said:

NONE of these teenagers end up with each other for life!

Same. I know high school sweethearts can work out, but dramatically it's boring. And now that Devi has had her world expanded a bit, I hope she decides that includes finding a life partner who isn't condescending to people he feels aren't at his intellectual level. 

• Like 2
  • Love 4
On 8/13/2022 at 9:43 AM, funnygirl said:

If Mindy Kaling does nothing else, she will have the Indian girl end up with the white boy. 

I was feeling optimistic when she had a half-Japanese guy as the love interest. But Mindy gotta Mindy.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 8/13/2022 at 10:20 AM, norcalgal said:

As for the actor who portrays Paxton, after I saw him in the Netflix Christmas movie with Jimmy O. Yang and Nina Dobrev, I can’t see Paxton as a high school guy anymore.

FYI, anyone who has not seen "Love Hard" has to see it.  I LOVED that movie!

• Love 3

Loved this season. I never really liked Devi with Paxton so I'm hoping he hops on a one-way flight to Arizona next season.

This seems like an unpopular opinion but *whisper* I don't like Trent. Haha. He seems exactly like the kind of guy I tried to avoid in high school. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, thejuicer said:

This seems like an unpopular opinion but *whisper* I don't like Trent. Haha. He seems exactly like the kind of guy I tried to avoid in high school. 

I don't much care for him either so that's okay lol. I think he has hidden depths underneath his stoner facade but Eleanor will help him with growth next season (I hope!). I just wish he'd stop using the nickname "Crazy Devi" around Devi seeing as it hurt her feelings last season. 

6 hours ago, Eri said:

I just wish he'd stop using the nickname "Crazy Devi" around Devi seeing as it hurt her feelings last season. 

Maybe the writers are planning a moment when Trent recognizes Devi is the sane one of the group in a chaotic situation and calls her Sane Devi, although that would sound a lot like Zany Devi, which is better than Crazy Devi, but not the plot arc resolution I was imagining they were heading toward with regards to Trent still calling her "Crazy Devi."

On 8/30/2022 at 8:13 AM, Eri said:
On 8/30/2022 at 12:31 AM, thejuicer said:

I don't much care for him either so that's okay lol. I think he has hidden depths underneath his stoner facade but Eleanor will help him with growth next season (I hope!).

I don't like Trent either, and I'm also not loving the romance between him and Eleanor. Despite the writers' attempts to show some reason why they would be attracted to each other, I just don't believe it. Eleanor may not be as book smart as Devi and Fabiola (it's not really clear if she is an academic high achiever), but she is certainly not dumb. Trent may have some hidden emotional depths, but he is still a stoner who acts dumb 99% of the time. It's true that Paxton was capable of changing to a smarter and more sensitive guy, but even in the beginning Paxton was more motivated than Trent to accomplish something (swimming and possibly winning a scholarship). And Devi's initial attraction to Paxton was understandable because of his looks. Trent is not ugly but doesn't seem like the kind of boy that girls will fall for based on looks.  

Of course, my opinions are at least partly based on memories of myself as a high school academic nerd, who had crushes on handsome and unattainable guys but had no interest in clowns and jerks ("stoners" were not a thing when and where I went to school).

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Paloma said:

And Devi's initial attraction to Paxton was understandable because of his looks. Trent is not ugly but doesn't seem like the kind of boy that girls will fall for based on looks.  

Of course, my opinions are at least partly based on memories of myself as a high school academic nerd, who had crushes on handsome and unattainable guys but had no interest in clowns and jerks ("stoners" were not a thing when and where I went to school).

I think Trent's hair would be effective at drawing in the ladies, based on my (somewhat) recent high school experience.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

I think Trent's stoner persona is definitely attractive to certain people, and he's been shown to be a bit more than just a pothead. Different strokes, and all that.

Agreed.  The more sides I've seen of Trent, the more I've grown to like him. And while he's totally not my type looks-wise -- not to mention he could probably be my grandson -- as his character has developed, I've come around to notice he has some good cheekbones, a nice smile, and a nice strong nose. 

• Love 1

The more sides I've seen of Trent, the more I've grown to like him. 

I feel like there were several instances where Trent tossed off a one-liner that demonstrated some insight. (Can I come up with an example off the top of my head? No.)

But it's those things that attracted Eleanor - that, and the fact that as Paxton's friend, he was part of the cool clique. Even Ben was susceptible to wanting to hang out with them. As status obsessed as Devi and Eleanor tend to be (Fabiola less so), I'm not surprised that Eleanor would be interested in "dating up".

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I also think that Eleanor is a bit bonkers for anyone who shows an interest in her, which is a typical reaction for someone who has been indoctrinated into the idea that she's uncool. It's partly just a scarcity mentality, but also low self-esteem. Eleanor talks a lot about how talented she thinks she is, but she's not that confident, really.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 9/4/2022 at 8:53 PM, possibilities said:

I also think that Eleanor is a bit bonkers for anyone who shows an interest in her, which is a typical reaction for someone who has been indoctrinated into the idea that she's uncool. It's partly just a scarcity mentality, but also low self-esteem. Eleanor talks a lot about how talented she thinks she is, but she's not that confident, really.

Eleanor is an actress, so I think she thrives on being with a Trent type that will always let her shine. Of Devi’s friends I think that Fabiola is the most secure of Devi’s friends. Fabiola did crack me up with the robotic sext she accidentally sent to Devi😂.

On 8/27/2022 at 11:16 AM, HerkyJerky said:

FYI, anyone who has not seen "Love Hard" has to see it.  I LOVED that movie!

It is amazing!

On 8/17/2022 at 10:46 PM, shapeshifter said:

By "safer" I mean safe from herself as much as anything else. Wasn't there a throw-away line in which Devi suggested sleeping with a professor?? 

Yes, I thought that was meant to be a joke and was pretty funny. It was a fantasy, not that she would actually want to be sexually harassed by a professor. 

Im not a fan of Devi and Ben. I don’t hate them, but Ben and Des were both kinda jerky, Paxton evolved and became a better person. 

• Love 1

I did miss Aneesa the last two episodes of the season. Outside of her crush on Fabiola she didn’t have much of a storyline this season. I am so glad she dumped Ben though- he gets on my nerves. He’s not a bad looking guy, but I don’t see anything appealing out him outside of his intellect (and that’s not enough to make an interesting person). 

• Love 2