Type keyword(s) to search

The Bear Season 1-2 Talk

aghst
  • Start Topic

Finally finished. Wow. I love the ups and downs with season. The calm Marcus episode, the calm Richie figuring it out episode. Syd is wonderful. I'm hopeful for Carmy and Claire. 

Episode 6, I couldn't take. My mom was like that. Abusive and crazy and alcoholic. Each of us kids playing a different part in the mess to try to keep everything safe. I had to stop it. I can't watch it. 

I can't wait for the next season. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 10
On 7/12/2023 at 12:32 PM, Milburn Stone said:

Apparently star Chicago chef Rick Bayless isn't happy with how the show portrayed restaurant work. He said the show makes cooking "look like the worst profession in the world," and that the show has set the cooking profession "back another 20 years."

Weeelll, my view on this is much more positive.  I think we are sometimes used to people disappointing us or even us disappointing ourselves.  This is a story of a lot of human error but essentially most of the characters (not Josh) motivating themselves and achieving considerable personal improvements.  I think one of my favorite bits (besides Richie and Marcus) is Tina getting the opportunity to vet her own sous chefs to the sound of Chrissie Hynde singing Gotta Stop Sobbing.

I think the 80s-90s-2000s soudtrack was so understanding and dialed in. 

It's never a surprise when people get sh---y, but it should be a greater reward when people do even better.

• Like 5

Finished season one

Count me in on not understanding the hidden money. 

The review was probably the best episode.  It flew by and others mentioned one long scene. 

But screw Sydney in that episude. She went behind his back serves a meal not on the menu to a restaurant critic and causes all these orders to rush in then SHES the one upset?  It was all on her. Also the character bugs me 

The speech we get in the finale about carmys relationship with his brother was great. And explains a lot

That was Joel McHale as the fancy restaurant chef earlier in the season! Totally missed it

As much as I like it will beat this drum as I always do.....not a comedy. Drama. 

• Like 4
On 7/14/2023 at 2:57 PM, meep.meep said:

Of all the things I have ever wanted to have a behind the scenes demo of, it's that can resealer!

I'll admit, it sort of bothered me that something that played such an important part was never even shown.  I feel like the writers didn't plan it out well, and left the showrunner to explain in an interview that well, of course, there was a can re-sealer at the restaurant.  Like, duh.

I have a serious question...  now that we saw in episode 7 how these really high end restaurants will go above and beyond to make the night special for even the most ordinary of guests, and check out customer's social media, etc., how many people do you think are now trying to game the system?  Putting a post on facebook or Twitter (oh, sorry - X) about how they've saved $1 every week for 5 years to dine here, or that the dinner marks some special moment, or death of their dear granny, or whatever, tagging the restaurant to make sure they notice, hoping they'll get a freebie out of it? 

• Useful 2
12 minutes ago, chaifan said:

I'll admit, it sort of bothered me that something that played such an important part was never even shown.  I feel like the writers didn't plan it out well, and left the showrunner to explain in an interview that well, of course, there was a can re-sealer at the restaurant.

The resealer is shown in season 2, episode 1. It's in the scene where Richie is down in the basement lamenting over the changes to the restaurant and Carmy goes down there to get him.

image.thumb.png.7506cf79daf71f7ae37ca0e571523d9b.png

Ending the first season with the resealed cans didn't bother me. I'm glad it wasn't a Chekov's resealer, and it was just a surprise ending. I do wonder where Mikey originally planned to leave his note and how it ended up behind the locker on the floor, but it's not really important to the overall story they're trying to tell.

My hypothesis is Mikey was planning his suicide for a while. When he asked Jimmy for the money, he lied and said it was to franchise, but it was to give to Carmy (and Natalie) to pay off his debts for mismanaging the restaurant. He hid the money hoping that Jimmy would think Mikey blew the money on the restaurant, and Carmy could use the money without having to repay it.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
6 hours ago, Catfi9ht said:

The resealer is shown in season 2, episode 1. It's in the scene where Richie is down in the basement lamenting over the changes to the restaurant and Carmy goes down there to get him.

Ending the first season with the resealed cans didn't bother me. I'm glad it wasn't a Chekov's resealer, and it was just a surprise ending. I do wonder where Mikey originally planned to leave his note and how it ended up behind the locker on the floor, but it's not really important to the overall story they're trying to tell.

My hypothesis is Mikey was planning his suicide for a while. When he asked Jimmy for the money, he lied and said it was to franchise, but it was to give to Carmy (and Natalie) to pay off his debts for mismanaging the restaurant. He hid the money hoping that Jimmy would think Mikey blew the money on the restaurant, and Carmy could use the money without having to repay it.

That's as good an explanation as any. 

Though Jimmy didn't seem surprised when he is told the found the money which makes me think he knew something about what was happening with it. 

On 7/12/2023 at 5:13 PM, arachne said:

I think The Bear is categorized as "comedy" because most of the eps are roughly a half-hour long -- and everybody knows TV dramas are at least an hour. 🙄

I too am glad to see all the nominations. But I wonder, can the Emmys run clips of this show without "bleeping" them into oblivion?

Overall, I'm happy with this show. If it continues, it may just define this decade for me the way, say, Game of Thrones defined the last one.

I'm just a little sad that Anthony Bourdain isn't around to see it. I read Kitchen Confidential years ago, and The Bear looks a lot like what he wrote about. (Speaking of Bourdain, I noticed that his picture was taken down in the Season 2 opener, as the restaurant was being renovated. I was peeved at first, and then I realized that it had to be. This was a whole different establishment going up.) 

Yes this show seems very consistent with Bourdains book. 

The comedy/ drama categorization has bothered me for years, not just this show but many others. 

Now that I've finished season two and still don't understand the reasoning behind the money in tomato cans....that seems so gimicky and needlessly complicated, only for storytelling purposes.  If you're leaving  money for the store just say it....leave a will. 

Sydney actually annoys me, in particular how she talks. 

I love Marcus

I feel so bad for Claire. She truly loves carm and he treats her like shit. So sad seeing him reject her. 

I'm also very confused about the Christmas episode on several fronts. Was that present day?  Richie's wife was pregnant and seems they are together but then next episode she engaged to someone else?  He asks for a job outside the restaurant?  

and did sugar go from a blond to brunette and back?  

I know it's supposed to be a chaotic episode but was also confusing to me

He couldn't leave the money in his will. It was illegal money he saved "under the table". He left them a note but it fell down and got lost for a while, which is why nobody knew the money existed. for most of the season. He put it into the tomato cans to hide it.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I'm also very confused about the Christmas episode on several fronts. Was that present day?

No, it's approximately five years earlier. At the beginning of the episode, a title card says, "256 Weeks To Open."

• Like 5
On 7/2/2023 at 4:53 PM, paramitch said:

(I still crack up thinking of watching him way back in The Lake House -- my Mom was so  attached to his character, because his eyes always looked so blue and almost teary, like he was always moments away from crying!)

Oh my goodness paramitch, that movie was partially shot in my town - like the scene when Keanu is shot 360 degrees in the town center or chased his dog across the green bridge - that is us.  I couldn't love Sandra Bullock and Keanu any more, but It's simply not a great movie.  However now I'll have to try to rewatch if Cousin Richie is in it.  

3 hours ago, Daisychain said:

Oh my goodness paramitch, that movie was partially shot in my town - like the scene when Keanu is shot 360 degrees in the town center or chased his dog across the green bridge - that is us.  I couldn't love Sandra Bullock and Keanu any more, but It's simply not a great movie.  However now I'll have to try to rewatch if Cousin Richie is in it.  

That's awesome!! Thank you for sharing that -- so cool!

I still like the movie. I don't think it's the best thing ever, but I think it's a decent romance, and I love the little fantasy touches. There are some genuinely beautiful little moments, so that saves whatever doesn't work for me.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 7/29/2023 at 7:04 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

Now that I've finished season two and still don't understand the reasoning behind the money in tomato cans....that seems so gimicky and needlessly complicated, only for storytelling purposes.  If you're leaving  money for the store just say it....leave a will. 

"Because Michael was a drug addict."

On 7/1/2023 at 5:17 PM, peeayebee said:

I heard that as well. It's just too expensive to do everything as they want to do it.

I recall reading that Noma is either about to or already has shut its doors. Not sure if it's related but, there was some scandal recently  about exploiting their staff - they were grossly underpaid, or in some cases not at all. The operators coasted on their reputation and essentially got a lot of labour for free because many eager young people wanted the cachet of working there. 

As a side note, I'm wondering if anyone has seen the movie "The Menu" starring Ralph Fiennes & Anya Taylor-Joy? It's a VERY dark satire that pokes fun at exactly the type of establishment that Noma is, as well as the typical clientele who frequent ultra ultra high-end dining establishments. I admit that I'm probably not built to appreciate high-end dining even if I had the $$$ to frequent such places. I'd much rather chow down on a beef sandwich with Giardiniera.

I've worked my way through both seasons, and I have to say, this has been one of the most exhilarating if stressful shows I've seen in a long time. I had to dole out each episode slowly rather than bingeing because I felt like I needed a xanax afterward! That Christmas episode - oh, man.

I 100% believed all of the actors in their roles, and enjoyed watching the characters go on various (sometimes surprising) journeys. I was especially taken with Richie, who went from an obnoxious hot-head to someone dedicated to high performance. You could see glimpses of his positive traits  earlier in the season in sweet scenes with his daughter, but it was fun watching him transform. I loved Robert Townsend playing Sydney's Dad as well - going from baffled and worried about her career choice to beaming with pride. Poor Sydney having PTSD on her big night.

I'm glad I was able to read a more detailed description of the money in the tomato cans from the show creator, because it was actually interesting, and I needed someone to explain it to me like I was a five year old..

I didn't mind the star walk-ons by the big stars either - it did indeed help differentiate characters in the chaotic scenes. Jamie Lee Curtis was fun as their bat-shit crazy Mom. Can I also just say on a completely shallow note that I loved Jamie Lee's "Donna" hair? I know the short pixie cut has been her signature style for decades, but I thought she looked fab with the shoulder length 'do, even while ranting and weeping with mascara running down her face.

Oh, and I loved the other star of the show - Chicago. The exterior shots are nice. It's long been on my bucket list of American cities to visit. Any speculation on other Chicagoans who might turn up as guest stars in future seasons?

Feeling bereft now that I'll probably have to wait another year (or possibly longer with the strike) for a new season.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Cheezwiz said:

Oh, and I loved the other star of the show - Chicago. The exterior shots are nice. It's long been on my bucket list of American cities to visit.

I went to Chicago for the first time in April and it is such a feast.  The food, the beverage, the architecture, the history.  Just something truly special.  I am soooo glad I didn't start this show until after my visit.  Seeing all the different places we frequented.   The omnipresence of the Willis Tower.  It really made what's already a  special show all the more fantastic.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
On 7/29/2023 at 11:06 PM, possibilities said:

He couldn't leave the money in his will. It was illegal money he saved "under the table". He left them a note but it fell down and got lost for a while, which is why nobody knew the money existed. for most of the season. He put it into the tomato cans to hide it.

That's what is not clear to me though. Was this illegal money or a loan from the uncle/ Oliver Platt that he hid?  The irs is involved as it is.  And they are spending the money now.  The irs is going to be all over the books wanting to know about the money so if it was illegal it can't stay that way if they spend it on the restaurant. 

And a restaurant would seem a pretty easy way to launder illegal money anyway if it's not legit rather than hiding it in tomato cans. 

.they story is vague to me on the relationship between the irs, ttlhe uncle and the restaurant and what happens with that money. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, mrc12671 said:

I went to Chicago for the first time in April and it is such a feast.  The food, the beverage, the architecture, the history.

Super-envious! those are all the reasons I want to visit! I'm an architecture buff and there's an abundance of gorgeous buildings and neighbourhoods there. Plus great museums and (of course) food! I can't say for sure, as I haven't been there yet, but somehow, with the river running right through downtown and the walkways all along the lakeshore, it's just more visually appealing to me than New York for some reason. Yeah I know New York is supposed to be the greatest, but the Second City appeals to me more.

I wonder if they're already doing "Bear" location tours around town?

• Like 4

Haven’t seen this mentioned in the thread yet, so I thought I’d add that Matty Matheson (co-executive producer, also plays Fak) is a well-known chef here in Canada who has owned and operated several restaurants in Toronto and Fort Erie, Ontario, over the last 10 or 15 years.

• Like 5
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2

First off, since it seems to come up a lot, Christopher Storer explained the money in the tomato cans in the IndieWire excerpts below:

On 6/29/2023 at 1:21 AM, paramitch said:

One thing in case it helps others from throughout the thread -- Christopher Storer gave an interview to IndieWire about the S1 finale that really answered a bunch of questions about how the tomato-can-money worked. He also confirmed that it was the loan from Jimmy that was mutually beneficial -- it would help Mikey (who was trying to save up to franchise or transform the restaurant with Carmy later on), and also help launder money for Jimmy. But Mike's addiction and mental illness led him to abandon believing he could do it, so he left his dream for Carmy to take on.

Meanwhile, Storer specifically addresses the biggest question people had -- how the tomato-can-money  got there and the believability of it:

There is a semi-automatic electric can-seamer at the restaurant, which is a quick process and very easy to use. Michael was most likely instructed to not put the money in the bank for myriad tax reasons. In his scattered state, the processing of the tomato cans really felt like he was starting to build something, felt more like a real plan of action to him. A safe felt too safe, too obvious.

I know it sounds completely absurd, but in researching various kitchens, I was really shocked how many stories and articles I had come across or heard about where money or drugs were found in sealed aluminum tomato cans. I guess the police dogs can’t smell anything over the acidic tomatoes and I definitely think Michael had heard some version of that somewhere.

This was really interesting and -- hey, it works for me. I'm fine with it.

NOTE: Most of the "tomato money" came directly from Jimmy's loan to Mikey, set aside in small increments to hide/wash the cash, and in $5k increments that were easier to hide on multiple fronts.

Storer has also noted that handling the money this was was beneficial for both Mikey (who wasn't ready to deal with it yet and still hoping for that future restaurant with Carmy) and Uncle Jimmy (who would not have wanted Mike to put it in a bank).

On 7/3/2023 at 1:00 PM, MaggieG said:

My favorite episodes this season were Marcus in Copenhagen and Richie being a stage. I loved getting to know their characters better.

I also loved the scene of Syd and Carmy fixing the table. I love the friendship.

I went into this season not knowing anything about the guest stars, but thank you to whoever had Will Poulter kneading bread. I didn't know how much I needed to see that. Oscar Winner Olivia Colman! John Mulaney was oddly adorable. 

You really bring up some favorite moments for me. I loved the Copenhagen and "Forks" episodes the most, and also loved the quiet moments between Syd and Carmy (under the table, and also where they first come up with the "sorry"  ASL gesture).

On 7/3/2023 at 9:51 PM, blixie said:

I have to agree that while I love Bernthal, everyone thinking Mike was this amazing great great guy despite all the evidence he was an unholy mess is weird. It's one thing for his siblings raised in the toxic swill with him to look up to him love/awe, but everyone else on staff or off? 

It seemed to me that while Mikey was visibly unstable, an addict, and had serious issues (see also "Fishes"), he was a person it was easy for people to love and feel loyal to. I found it believable.

On 7/4/2023 at 4:05 PM, KittenPokerCheater said:

I love how Ritchie grows and steps up at the end.*   He really shined.  I hope is character continues to grow in a positive direction.  Forks may be one of my favorite episodes of television ever.  Also Honeydew.

I loved that too (and me too on "Forks"). Also, I love your user name so much! (Aw, the good old days of "Buffy").

On 7/4/2023 at 4:17 PM, possibilities said:

It's possible that everybody thinks Mikey is the greatest because Mikey is dead. I've seen people do that after someone's gone. They act like the person was their hero, and refuse to criticize or even acknowledge any rift.

I definitely think this may be part of it, but I also do think they've shown us enough convincing little moments that Mikey could be genuinely pretty charming. I mean, he's not my cup of tea, but I get it.

On 7/5/2023 at 7:05 AM, chaifan said:

Sydney on her "inspiration" tour (geez, how much can that woman eat in a day???), Marcus in Copenhagen (visually lovely episode), Tina at the culinary school or out with her friends.  

I've seen this brought up so often, but if you watch, Sydney's adventure takes place across multiple days (she goes from morning to night across at least two days in that montage). She also is seen many times just taking a single bite and then writing down her notes. So I found it believable that she was probably taking home lots of doggy bags too.

I really enjoyed the characters being separated this season because it allowed us to get to know so many of them better as people -- I loved seeing everyone go off and learn and shine in these beautiful, supportive scenarios -- Richie staging, Marcus in Copehagen, Tina at the CIA, etc. When we did get interactions they were richer for me and more meaningful -- Syd and Carmy's many quiet work moments and talks, Marcus and Luca, Sydney and Tina, Richie and Garrett, Richie and Chef Terry, Richie and Sugar, Sydney and her father, etc etc. Even the final scene between Carmy and Richie with Carmy in the freezer was so well done, with Carmy self-sabotaging in all this stress and inner rage, and Richie just yelling, "I love you! I love you!" and Carmy totally missing it.

Meanwhile, I thought "Fishes" did its job really well and it was a decent episode of TV (if a bit overacted and overwrought). But as far as which episodes were most "pleasant" to watch? I hated "Fishes" and honestly have no plans to ever watch it again.

On 7/5/2023 at 7:20 AM, SlovakPrincess said:

I’m only through the first season and mostly love it, but I have so many questions about Mikey putting all that money in cans of tomato sauce.  When did he have time to do all that without anyone noticing, given the long hours they all work?  How did it take months for them to need tomato sauce and accidentally find it?  Isn’t all that money just going to pay the restaurant’s enormous debt?  How does one report this to the IRS?  

I posted a quote and links at the top of this post that explains it. Mikey (like many restaurants) had a resealer. They would have normally used the tomato sauce (and Mike expected them to) but Carmy completely changed the menu (in part, in reaction to missing Mike) so they didn't use tomato sauce like they normally would have, ironically. Which is why it took longer for the reveal. And it wasn't reported to the IRS, which was part of the point of hiding it.

On 7/7/2023 at 6:27 AM, chaifan said:

I've watched the last 4 episodes over the last 2 days. 

"Forks" really delivered, finally a chance to see Ritchie doing something (anything!) other than yelling at other people.  It was really great to see Ritchie in a calm, appreciative mode, and the episode wants me to to find other things that actor is in.  I also loved the insight it gave the viewers into the behinds the scenes workings of that type/level of restaurant.  I seriously could watch a show just about Ritchie in that kitchen for a week or two.  (Working title - I Wear Suits Now.)  It also really drove home what strong connections Carm has in the culinary world, for another Chef to take their time training someone who won't even be working in their restaurant.  Olivia Coleman was great in this role.

The finale was amazing!  It brought in everything, held back nothing.  I loved that the mom showed up (another amazing performance by JLC) but didn't go in.  Carm getting stuck in the freezer - ok, I was spoiled by a few comments, so I knew it was going to happen.  (Actually, I thought it was going to happen in the previous episode.)  I liked that it removed Carm from the kitchen at a critical moment, and made the others rise to the task(s), especially Ritchie.  But the thing that kept bugging me was...  how did they not need any food from the cooler for the remainder of the night?  There had to be things that were prepped in there.  I would have liked Carm to have gotten out earlier, at least to see the very tail end of the kitchen finishing up and see the diners.  I really don't care about Carm and Claire, that whole scene did nothing for me. 

ETA: I meant to comment on the quick flash to Marcus' phone...  the missed calls and text from his mom's caregiver.  That was so sad.  You know his mom has passed, and he's going to beat himself up because he was so busy with the opening that he missed it.  I hope Season 3 (if there is one) deals with that. 

I agree on "Forks" -- one of my favorite episodes of TV, ever. I watched it four times (so far). I also loved the finale, even though my heart broke for Carmy, Claire, and Marcus.

On 7/8/2023 at 12:40 PM, Door County Cherry said:

Oops, one more thing I forgot to add when I put an star next to Gillian's name in my post above, the creator of the show definitely seems like he's a Community fan.  Not only did Joel McHale and Gillian Jacobs guest star so far, but I believe Richie used the term "streets ahead."  Technically, it turns out Community didn't invent that phrase but there was definitely a story surrounding its use and it's not a common US expression. 

I caught that too! Huge "Community" fan here so at that point, beyond hiring McHale and Jacobs, I was like, "Yeah, Storer loves "Community" too!" (I didn't realize he was Jacobs's partner!)

On 7/8/2023 at 5:45 PM, qtpye said:

The Marcus episode was one of the most beautiful and hopeful episode of tv that I have seen in a long time.

I do think people overestimate the power of romantic relationships and underestimate how powerful platonic relationships can be.

Carmy is the perfect teacher for Syd and she is his perfect pupil because they both share the same passion for perfection.

Syd's relatively stable upbringing allows her to come from a spiritually healthy place while Carmy's terrible home life makes his love seem like torment.

This is beautifully said (boldfacing mine added for emphasis). I agree on Marcus's Copenhagen episode -- I also felt the same way about Richie's "Forks" episode, and many moments in the finale.

I know some people ship Carmy and Syd but I don't -- I love their friendship as well as the slow build of their professional rapport and find it really beautiful.

On 7/11/2023 at 12:14 PM, BonnieD said:

I think a relationship could still be managed as long as both partners acknowledge the space he's in right now. ie. Why didn't Claire just text and say good luck tonight. Cant wait to see you. ? Clearly a phone message during one of the most important days of his life was not the way to go. AS an ER nurse, she, if anyone should know about stress jobs and when and where is a good time for deep conversations.
If there's any reason they shouldn't be together, it's not because of work. It's because he is an emotional basket case with mother issues, who needs some serious therapy and solo work before he's ready to take on a romantic partner to share a life with.

Yeah, this always bugs me because it is such a purely "TV/Movie" approach. It's always "I must end this relationship for my career!" (sob sob) when in actuality, plenty of people in difficult situations simply make it work. Like, I was irritated at Claire and Carmy both, because Claire KNOWS he's opening a restaurant and never seems to clue in that he needs to focus on that. By the same token, I wish Claire had had a few moments of "I'll miss you but I'll be on double shifts until ________. See you Thursday!" etc. There is no way a young doctor wouldn't understand that there will be days or even weeks when it will be hard for Carmy to spend much time with her. Etc.

On 7/12/2023 at 1:05 PM, peeayebee said:

I'm very glad for the show's Emmy nominations, but the way shows are plugged into categories is weird. Yes, The Bear has funny stuff in it, but I wouldn't call it a comedy.

Outstanding Comedy Series
Jeremy Allen White, Outstanding Lead Actor in Comedy Series
Ebon Moss-Bachrach, Outstanding Supporting Actor in Comedy Series
Ayo Edebiri, Outstanding Supporting Actress in Comedy Series
Jon Bernthal, Outstanding Guest Actor in Comedy Series
Oliver Platt, Outstanding Supporting Actor in Comedy Series

On the plus side, I was SO thrilled at all the Emmy nominations for this season! So richly deserved. And as far as the "Comedy" category, the show has made me laugh several times over both seasons. I do agree that "The Bear" is ultimately more of a dramedy, but I still laugh just thinking of the ceiling falling in on Richie on cue, for instance.

(For me, the biggest sinner on this front is "Tiny Beautiful Things," which actively made me miserable pretty much every single moment I watched it. It's definitely competing with "Transparent" for me in the "most depressing comedy nominee" category.)

I always think of this SNL sketch when this stuff comes up.

On 7/12/2023 at 2:13 PM, arachne said:

I too am glad to see all the nominations. But I wonder, can the Emmys run clips of this show without "bleeping" them into oblivion?

Overall, I'm happy with this show. If it continues, it may just define this decade for me the way, say, Game of Thrones defined the last one.

I'm just a little sad that Anthony Bourdain isn't around to see it. I read Kitchen Confidential years ago, and The Bear looks a lot like what he wrote about. (Speaking of Bourdain, I noticed that his picture was taken down in the Season 2 opener, as the restaurant was being renovated. I was peeved at first, and then I realized that it had to be. This was a whole different establishment going up.) 

On the non-bleeping, there are several beautiful scenes from this season that would require minimal bleepage -- Sydney and Carmy and the "I'm sorry" gesture, Richie and Chef Terry, Marcus and Luca, etc.

I'm sad Bourdain couldn't see it too. I think he would have loved it. (I still smile at how much he loved Ratatouille.)

On 7/14/2023 at 9:20 AM, Gloriosa said:

I just rewatched the first two episodes.  Am I to deduce that Carmy threw away $5K when he tossed that can of tomatoes into the trash?

He sure did! Hopefully someday, somewhere there is a happy waste management person or homeless person or someone who opens that can and is very very happy.

On 7/18/2023 at 10:13 AM, callie lee 29 said:

Not specific to an episode but an interesting interview on light of the writers and actors strike.

Writer below poverty line

Yeah, Alex O'Keefe has been very eloquent and vocal about how little he and other writers on shows like "The Bear" actually make. The worst part is that it's so "one and done" these days for writers like him -- because of the ways streaming shows work now, any impactful significant residuals are now almost a thing of the past.

I hate the current industry strike as a viewer, but I love it as a writer because they all deserve so much better -- and these streaming networks are grotesquely wealthy, so their refusal to bend on this issue is so frustrating and corrupt. (I saw a roundtable the other day where Bill Lawrence -- "Scrubs," "Ted Lasso" -- made a joke about how much money he is STILL making from his one "Friends" episode.)

On 7/25/2023 at 9:39 AM, Catfi9ht said:

Mike's note looked like it was originally leaning against the backsplash in plain sight but fell behind the stove and Richie left it there.

I thought Mike was saving the money to open the restaurant with Carmy together, as a surprise and fulfillment of Carmy's longtime wish, but his addiction and depression got the best of him, so he left it all to Carmy instead.

On 8/4/2023 at 3:18 PM, MaryHedwig said:

Ah, but look at her front teeth- they are the cutest ever!

Adebiri is so adorable -- she does have a ridiculously cute smile. Her buck teeth (which are perfect and she should never change them) give her the slightest aspect of being "the kid sister," which is perfect for her character here.

On 8/5/2023 at 2:06 AM, Cheezwiz said:

I loved Robert Townsend playing Sydney's Dad as well - going from baffled and worried about her career choice to beaming with pride. Poor Sydney having PTSD on her big night.

I always love Robert Townsend, so it was wonderful to realize it was him playing Sydney's sweet dad!

And Syd's PTSD actually really worried me here. I'm also worried at all her nausea/vomiting -- I know she's established as having acid reflux/tummy stress, but I keep wanting her to go to a doctor and get checked out.

7 hours ago, Capricasix said:

Oh, and @paramitch I thought I would see you here! Would it be too much to hope for a Pedro cameo next season, since Sarah Paulson appeared in this one? 😄

::waves:: Hellooo, @Capricasix! I always love seeing that Picard facepalm in the comments. (And if Pedro ever appeared on this show, I would probably need to be hospitalized from sheer happiness -- two amazing wonderful things together!) 😅

• Like 9
  • Love 1
On 7/25/2023 at 12:39 PM, Catfi9ht said:

I'm glad it wasn't a Chekov's resealer, and it was just a surprise ending.

Thank you! I needed a good laugh today.

• Wink 1

I forgot to mention that in one ep, and I can’t even remember which one it was, Carmy was lying on the couch in his apartment watching something on TV, and I think he dozed off. Well, he was watching Pasta Grannies on Youtube, which is a channel where the host and cameraperson (maybe one other crew member, but the crew is very small) visit the homes and villages of old Italian ladies, and watch them make all these delicious pasta dishes from scratch. Sometimes they make desserts as well - I’ve seen one ep about tiramisu. Anyway, if you ever need some comfort TV or Youtube, check it out - it’s wonderful!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 3

My brother and SIL recently watched The Bear. They said they didn't really like S1 but that S2 was worse. I know I shouldn't, but I always get a weird feeling when someone I like and respect doesn't like the same shows/movies/books as I do. Yes, yes, we don't all enjoy the same things, but I can't seem to get past it.

• Hugs 1
6 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

My brother and SIL recently watched The Bear. They said they didn't really like S1 but that S2 was worse. I know I shouldn't, but I always get a weird feeling when someone I like and respect doesn't like the same shows/movies/books as I do. Yes, yes, we don't all enjoy the same things, but I can't seem to get past it.

For me, the "why" of someone I know didn't like the same thing I did in the same way is more important (and interesting) than the fact they didn't like it.

I can see why people wouldn't like this show: the generational trauma, the family dysfunction, suicide, no interest in food or high end restaurants, aggressive personalities/yelling as a form of communication, insults as a form of showing love/care... I'm sure there are many more I'm not thinking of.

As I get older, I'm trying to make a bigger, conscientious effort stop rushing to judgment and take the time to understand others' viewpoints. I learn a lot about life and gain a greater appreciation of others when I stop to ask why and try to understand others' viewpoints. For me, life is much more interesting when people have different ideas, viewpoints, backgrounds, etc. The discussion of those differences is very engaging for me.

At the same time, there will be folks I will never understand their viewing habits, and there isn't enough common ground for me to meet them where they are. However, there may be other things about those people that I love and appreciate instead, and that's what I try to focus on.

For your brother and SIL, I give them props that they watched the second season even after they didn't like the first. Maybe that was because you like the show a lot, and they wanted to see what you loved about it. As a complete stranger/bystander, I think the fact they chose to watch a show they didn't like because you liked it is a pretty nice thing to do. (If this is completely inaccurate, please excuse my assumption/overreach.)

• Like 7

I appreciate your post and agree with your points.

Before I recommended it to them, they had heard good things about the show. My recommendation probably pushed them to try it out.

IIRC, one thing my SIL said was that the characters acted like whiney teenagers. I can see that, but their arrested development kind of seemed like the point. I mean, a show isn't interesting if the characters behave perfectly. 

I wish we had talked about it more, but I got the feeling they didn't want to.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I was very grateful I didn't get kicked out of my book group because I hated the book we read last month. I had very strong feelings about it and lots of reasons. 

It turned out that about half the group also hated it. The other half liked it, thought it was funny, insightful, honest, thoughtfully conceived. 

It turned into an interesting discussion. It turns out that what people are looking for varies.

Some of the critiques were on the quality of the writing and editing itself. Others thought that worked well, that it was done deliberately and with good effect.

Others liked the way it used cultural references and specific aspects of the setting. Others hated the setting and didn't care about any of that, though acknowledged that other books had hooked them with a similar device.

Some thought it was accurate, even if unpleasant, and gave it props for a portrayal that was authentic. Some thought it was accurate but offensive, i.e. "why would I want to read an accurate portrayal of something I dislike?". Some thought it was celebrating something offensive and others thought it was simply describing it. 

We all had clearly seen the same things but related  to them in different ways. This is a group I generally share values with, not a bunch of random people I would expect to disagree with most of the time. 

Sometimes I think what people do or don't like can signify something a bit upsetting about them, but not always.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 6/25/2023 at 9:16 AM, paramitch said:

loved his final conversation with the chef (Olivia Fricking Colman!!)

If anyone could get an emmy for a 5 minute conversation, it would be for this.  It was a very moving scene, and especially where she said how Carmen always believed in him... incredible acting.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I agree with the poster upthread that said, "this is not a comedy, it's a drama." It's one of the most intense half hours of television I've ever experience.  I had to remind myself to breathe during "Fishes" and "The Forks" episodes.  Hopefully, Season 3 will be lighter.

Edited by Adeejay
  • Like 3

I’ve seen Jon Bernthal in other things since Punisher, but while watching him on this show I was always kind of waiting for him to turn into Frank Castle 😄 - so when he exploded in anger at the Christmas table, I was like “Yup, there’s Frank!”

• Like 1

I just rewatched Forks. Found it even stronger. And at the end, after the talk with Chef Terry and her comment about Richie being good with people, after her incomplete Dad story, after Richie sees Every Second Counts as if for the first time, after the credits began rolling, I started weeping.

Thanks, Show. That’s quite the drama you got there.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 8/8/2023 at 6:33 PM, Capricasix said:

Haven’t seen this mentioned in the thread yet, so I thought I’d add that Matty Matheson (co-executive producer, also plays Fak) is a well-known chef here in Canada who has owned and operated several restaurants in Toronto and Fort Erie, Ontario, over the last 10 or 15 years.

People come from hours away to go to his restaurant in Crystal Beach (Rizzo's House of Parm), but he is very rarely there.

On 8/12/2023 at 12:25 PM, Capricasix said:

I’ve seen Jon Bernthal in other things since Punisher, but while watching him on this show I was always kind of waiting for him to turn into Frank Castle 😄 - so when he exploded in anger at the Christmas table, I was like “Yup, there’s Frank!”

And Richie is Lieberman from S1! I miss that show, it was soooo good.

• Like 1

I haven’t read all the comments because I’m still working through season 2 but just wanted to pop on and say how much I love the music, especially season 2 ep 5 with Carmie and Claire. Pretty in Pink!  REM.  Best of all, opening and closing the ep with Replacements songs. “Can’t Hardly Wait” while he kissed her at the end made me so giddy. 😊❤️

• Like 5

I watched the movie “The Peanut Butter Falcon” a couple weeks ago and Jon Bernthal plays the deceased brother of Shia LaBeouf’s character, appearing in flashback scenes. He’s really carving out a “dead flashback brother” niche!

• Like 3
  • LOL 7

I just finished season two, and while I missed the interactions of the whole cast for several episodes, I thought it was even better than the first season. The cast is so excellent, they all just have their characters down so well they really do feel like real people, warts and all, and I am always impressed by how much intensity they manage to pour into every single scene in a kitchen, or sometimes outside of it. 

At first I thought it was a bit weird that the show was pushing this new love interest on Carmy and how much everyone was talking her up, but by the end of the season I understood more of what they were doing and I was sad to see them break up. I like Claire and I think that at a different time she and Carmy could have been really good together, maybe one day they can try again when Carmy is in a better place. I think that the reason for all of the talking up was less for our benefit and more for Carmy's, even if I think that encouragement backfired in the end. Everyone meant well telling Carmy over and over how Claire great was and how great she is for him, but that just led to him getting into his own head about it and then falling apart. 

I really liked Fishes, even if it was the hardest episode of the show to watch by far. It explained a lot about the family dynamics and a lot more about Carmie, Sugar, Ritchie, and even Mikey. I can see why Sugar ended up with a guy who her family thinks is bland and vanilla, she probably gravitated towards someone so stable after growing up in such a toxic chaotic environment. I also wonder if there is a connection between Carmy's mom and the way she was cooking in the episode, screaming at everyone, being constantly emotionally abusive, the meal turning into a huge fight, that has always made Carmy associate cooking with stress, chaos, and screaming? Then when he was working with people like the chef he has flashed back to as just confirming that this is what cooking is? Also, I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned it, but I think that Ritchie's thing with forks could be connected with this awful Christmas involving Mikey and Forks. 

On the other hand, Forks was such a wonderful affirming episode, I had the biggest goofiest grin on when Ritchie finally found his groove and was rocking out to Taylor Swift. Ritchie was so hard to watch last season, it was great to see him growing so much as a person. 

I felt so sad watching Carmy blowing Syd off so much, even if he really didn't mean anything by it. I dont see a romantic connection between them but they connect so much on such a deep level over their passion for cooking and perfectionism. I think they complete each other and do their best together, Carmy helps Syd trust her instincts and Syd helps Carmy find the actual joy in cooking, something he struggles with. Syd sees cooking something she is great at and loves, but Carmy tends to see his talent for cooking as a curse, something he is driven to do but does not seem to make him happy.

This show being listed as a comedy seems really weird, its really much more of a drama, even if it does also have funny moments. 

"Let’s just take a quick break while I go address this problematic individual."

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

This has been such a great discussion and I've so appreciated everyone's takes on Season 2.  For me what really stood out about Season 2 was the idea/theme of beauty--how much beauty there is in the world--in Chicago, which Sid takes in on that amazing boat ride and tries to recreate the beauty she sees in her dishes, in Copenhagen (the most beautiful place Carmy has ever seen), in the dishes fine dining chefs create (so that however good a deep dish is, it needs that extra touch to allow the family who gets it to "eat with their eyes"), and in the characters who are all "bruised and beautiful" (such a perfect phrase, I agree).  I think this season wants Carmy to get past the trauma that equates beautiful food with trauma behind the scenes (which we saw with Donna's rage in FISHES) to connect beauty to the good in others,

It makes sense to me that Marcus's time in Copenhagen exposed to so much beauty in and out of the kitchen ended with him doing a good deed for a stranger, and it makes sense that it took Richie becoming part of a team dedicated to beauty and service to present himself as beautiful.  I think the moment in Forks when Richie saw them comping the couple who had saved for years to be able to come was also beautiful, as was the omelette Sid made for Abby--because true beauty can't be commodified, though of course people will also pay through the nose for it!

Edited by Alexander Pope
  • Like 10
  • Love 1

I'd like to remind everyone in the forum that the Winter Primetimer Awards are open for voting and that The Bear has been nominated in many categories, including Best Drama, Lead Character, Secondary Character, Guest Character, and several others. Head over and vote in the various categories where The Bear has been nominated. Voting is only open for four days.

Here's the link to the main voting page:

The Primetimers: Awards

• Thanks 2