Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Part IV

Message added by formerlyfreedom,

This is the episode topic for the fourth episode of Obi-Wan Kenobi. If you want to deep dive on the Star Wars universe, please head to this topic. Posts that are completely off topic from the episode may be removed. Thank you!

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Llywela said:

And that's the information Reva was trying to extract from Leia. Anything and everything she might have seen or heard as a result of her personal experience being smuggled along the Path.

I was surprised Reva put a tracking device on Leia's toy but didn't look at the idea of checking to see if it had this data on it already. Then again, Reva is sadistic so maybe she just wanted to get the information the hard way.

• LOL 1

My main disappointment was that Obi-Wan just threw aside that Stormtrooper he took out upon entering the base and then ran around in his own very obvious outsider clothes instead of putting on the armor as a disguise, mostly because it would have been fun to do a callback to the "Aren't you a little ______ for a Stormtrooper?" thing when he showed up to rescue Leia. I don't know if he's short enough for the "short," but "old" might have worked, especially if he'd used a lightsaber or spoken so she'd figured out who he was.

They are somewhat forgiven by having them sneak out by essentially being two raccoons in a trenchcoat. I actually laughed out loud at that.

Leia doesn't really know much more about the Path than Reva does, does she? Reva already knows about the safehouse Leia knows and has talked to all the operatives Leia knows. So although Leia was being defiant just to be defiant, she actually wasn't hiding anything.

I hope they take Leia and her robot straight to Alderaan instead of going through their network, so that the tracking is pointless and only just takes the Empire to Alderaan. That would be the smart thing to do. This incident might explain why adult Leia pretty much went straight to, "Yeah, they're obviously tracking us" after they escaped from the Death Star in the initial movie.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

My main disappointment was that Obi-Wan just threw aside that Stormtrooper he took out upon entering the base and then ran around in his own very obvious outsider clothes instead of putting on the armor as a disguise, mostly because it would have been fun to do a callback to the "Aren't you a little ______ for a Stormtrooper?" thing when he showed up to rescue Leia. I don't know if he's short enough for the "short," but "old" might have worked, especially if he'd used a lightsaber or spoken so she'd figured out who he was.

I was expecting this too!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Shanna Marie said:

Leia doesn't really know much more about the Path than Reva does, does she? Reva already knows about the safehouse Leia knows and has talked to all the operatives Leia knows. So although Leia was being defiant just to be defiant, she actually wasn't hiding anything.

Leia heard everything Tala told Obi-Wan about where the Path would take them next and how it all works, she went into a fair bit of detail about the operation, so, assuming Leia remembers even half of what she heard (and I'm guessing she would, she's a bright kid who has been shown to pay close attention to what goes on around her) she was actually hiding a fair bit of extremely valuable information. If she'd talked, she could have given up everyone in the safe house Obi-Wan was taken to for healing after he was burned.

Reva doesn't know that, she doesn't know how much detail Tala shared, but her hunch that Leia might know something was right on the money.

• Love 5
23 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Obi-Wan sneaking out with Leia under his cloak was hilarious, too bad Vader is so pissed at Obi-Wan, Anakin would have thought that was hilarious. What's next, we manage to sneak past the Imperial Patrol by having three Jawa's standing on top of each others shoulders wearing a fur coat to pretend to be a Wookie? Security really needs to up their game. No wonder the Empire only lasts about twenty years. 

This made me laugh, and totally agree with your assessment of the Empire. The storm troopers have always been shown to be inept, and we have seen crazy rescues happening right under their noses before (ANH anyone?), so no surprise that it's been going on since the beginning.

17 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

SHUT UP, I’ve been wanting a shirtless Obi-Wan since Phantom Menace!

Ok, I have never been on the Ewan McGregor is sexy train, but this show has changed my mind. He is definitely aging well!

14 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

Leia's green outfit reminds me of her green outfit in Return of the Jedi. I do love that she has always been stubborn and refuses to give up information, even under threat of torture. 

I loved this - that little actress is killing it! When Reva decided to play nice cop and she sweetly said "I can tell my dad and he can tell you - we're all on the same side, right? I'LL NEVER TELL YOU!!!!" I loved it.

20 hours ago, Macbeth1966 said:

I also think she was one of the Padawans that somehow survived the massacre.

I keep thinking about this - if she was one of the Padawans that escaped, why would she join the Dark Side and fight for the people that tried to murder her? Or is she playing a really, really long game and she's going to flip? I don't get it.

9 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I love seeing Obi Wan getting his groove back. That scene of him killing the stormtroopers in the dark was awesome. Same with the glass. 

There have been some really cool moments with the light sabers on this show. That moment in the dark was awesome, like the scene in episode three with Darth Vader and Obi-Wan fighting in the distance. I love seeing him getting his mojo back. The little moments like when he was trying to move whatever was on the table show he's not at full strength yet.

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, Llywela said:

Leia heard everything Tala told Obi-Wan about where the Path would take them next and how it all works, she went into a fair bit of detail about the operation, so, assuming Leia remembers even half of what she heard (and I'm guessing she would, she's a bright kid who has been shown to pay close attention to what goes on around her) she was actually hiding a fair bit of extremely valuable information. If she'd talked, she could have given up everyone in the safe house Obi-Wan was taken to for healing after he was burned.

Reva doesn't know that, she doesn't know how much detail Tala shared, but her hunch that Leia might know something was right on the money.

She also knows Tala and if she had broken Leia could have given Reva exactly what she wanted. 

2 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

I keep thinking about this - if she was one of the Padawans that escaped, why would she join the Dark Side and fight for the people that tried to murder her? Or is she playing a really, really long game and she's going to flip? I don't get it.

Power and safety? In an earlier episode it is said she was found scavenging on the streets. She was a child who no longer knew her family who was suddenly on her on with no way to support herself. 

28 minutes ago, Dani said:

Power and safety? In an earlier episode it is said she was found scavenging on the streets. She was a child who no longer knew her family who was suddenly on her on with no way to support herself. 

I guess, but it doesn't make sense to me that she is this pissed at Obi-Wan and not Darth Vader - he's the one that killed all the kids and forced her into that position to be scavenging on the street. Hopefully we'll find out what her motivation is because at this point I don't understand it.

• Love 2

The Bacta Tank really is going to be to go to method to get characters out of supposedly deadly situations.  Might be able to use it to bring back supposed dead characters too!  Mace Windu can make a grand return and be all "Funny story!  After that motherfucker shoved me off that tower, and I fell down several stories and BAM!  Right into a Bacta Tank!  I'm back, baby!" about it.

Leia's breakout was hilariously due to everything from Obi-Wan and Tala loudly speaking to each other through the speakers in public and then literally just hiding Leia under Obi-Wan's cloak and trying to walk out but if nothing else, it's already been established that the Empire employees are incompetent as hell.  Either that or they really are just so over everything that they're just "Meh, not my problem." about anything suspicious they see.

Interesting seeing Reva try a more calming approach with Leia at first, but I loved how Leia called her bluff by simply pointing out that if they are all in this together, why not just call her father then?  Not sure what's in store for Reva now.  Initially, I wondered if they were going down some kind of redemption arc route, but her coming this close to flat-out torturing Leia seems like an act that can't be walked back (at least on a show like this/Disney.)

Vader seems to be a little more forgiving than he will eventually become, I see.  He's giving Reva another chance to not screw it up (didn't get a sense Leia's escape was planned but that she just put a tracker on the droid as back-up.)  Do think something is going to come out of the Fifth Brother clearly not liking her more and more.

Definitely a short episode this go around.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I guess, but it doesn't make sense to me that she is this pissed at Obi-Wan and not Darth Vader - he's the one that killed all the kids and forced her into that position to be scavenging on the street. Hopefully we'll find out what her motivation is because at this point I don't understand it.

History is written by the victors. The official story is that the Jedi betrayed the Republic. I frequently have to remind myself that from the standpoint of people in that universe the Empire were the good guys through the clone wars. The Jedi served the Republic. Their job was to protect it and Palpatine. Everyone was told that the Jedi’s were traitors who attacked Palpatine and the very organization they were supposed to protect. The Republic was rebranded as the Empire. If Reva is the child from the beginning she never actually switched sides. 

1 hour ago, thuganomics85 said:

The Bacta Tank really is going to be to go to method to get characters out of supposedly deadly situations.  Might be able to use it to bring back supposed dead characters too!  Mace Windu can make a grand return and be all "Funny story!  After that motherfucker shoved me off that tower, and I fell down several stories and BAM!  Right into a Bacta Tank!  I'm back, baby!" about it.

Between Bacta, replacing organs with robot parts and force healing how does anyone in Star Wars ever die? Maybe that will be the big twist at the end of this series, Obi Wan can't contact ghost Liam Neeson, because Liam Neeson never actually died.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Dani said:

History is written by the victors. The official story is that the Jedi betrayed the Republic. I frequently have to remind myself that from the standpoint of people in that universe the Empire were the good guys through the clone wars. The Jedi served the Republic. Their job was to protect it and Palpatine. Everyone was told that the Jedi’s were traitors who attacked the Palpatine and the very organization they were supposed to protect. The Republic was rebranded as the Empire. If Reva is the child from the beginning she never actually switched sides. 

I guess, but if she knows that all of the kids and Jedi were slaughtered by her current master's own hands it doesn't matter what was happening on a macro level, does it? Her beef against Obi-Wan seems very personal. If she knows that Anakin was directly responsible for what happened to her, why is she so mad at Obi-Wan and not Vader? I hope we find out what her motivation is before the end of this season.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

If she knows that Anakin was directly responsible for what happened to her, why is she so mad at Obi-Wan and not Vader?

Would she even know any of that? Anakin wasn’t attacking her. The Empire certainly wasn’t going to tell the real story and the Jedi can’t tell the real story. Outside of a handful of characters we know a lot more than anyone in world knows. She was a child when it happen so she certainly didn’t know the details of what was happening at the time and after that she was vulnerable and susceptible. 

I guess I just don’t think it’s a stretch for a child taken away from their family before they had any say, raised in a severe environment and than suddenly on their own while still a young child would develop a hatred for the Jedi. To me her being that child would be enough of a reason. 

15 minutes ago, Dani said:

Would she even know any of that? Anakin wasn’t attacking her. The Empire certainly wasn’t going to tell the real story and the Jedi can’t tell the real story. Outside of a handful of characters we know a lot more than anyone in world knows. She was a child when it happen so she certainly didn’t know the details of what was happening at the time and after that she was vulnerable and susceptible. 

I guess I just don’t think it’s a stretch for a child taken away from their family before they had any say, raised in a severe environment and than suddenly on their own while still a young child would develop a hatred for the Jedi. To me her being that child would be enough of a reason. 

This really raises the question of what she knows - how does she know that Darth Vader is Anakin? None of this is clear at this point.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

It had never occured to me that Luke as a kid wouldn't be whiny. I always figured it was who he was from a young age. 

It’s not whiny to want to go to Tashee Station and pick up some power converters! I bet that’s like the Tatooine equivalent of the Apple store.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, Athena5217 said:

It’s not whiny to want to go to Tashee Station and pick up some power converters! I bet that’s like the Tatooine equivalent of the Apple store.

fb_img_16092103812262034152388394803598.

• LOL 20
  • Love 4
On 6/8/2022 at 9:31 AM, rtms77 said:

At this point the convenient plot holes are just silly , lazy writing. Tahila should have been stopped the moment she flew near Fortress Inquisitorius because there is no way Vader didn't record her face. As for dispatching her collegues, again lazy writing. No way people didn't hear that, not even it they were walking into the place could they miss her fighting with someone.

20 hours ago, Grumpymonkey said:

Like said above this was a little bit of a filler episode but still enjoyable for me. I look forward to it every week.

Out of all the live action SW series (Mandalorian, Boba Fett, Obi-Wan) this is the one I looked forward to the most, not just because I've long had a crush on Ewan, but Obi-Wan is my favorite Jedi. I'm sad that it's turning out to be my least fave of the three (and that's saying something considering I was BORED with much of Boba Fett).  I truly hope the final two episodes are LIGHTS OUT Must See TV. Otherwise, I have zero problem putting Obi-Wan into the "need never watch again" pile.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I know Kenobi running around and sneaking out with a big coat is hilarious, but in the beginning of the episode he did point out that the base had no shields. To which the reply was 'no one would be stupid enough to attack it.' So you're probably sending the low level stormtroopers there, and you have to think 'low level storm trooper' is really low. As in, they should know not to shoot on the ground floor.

Good to see Kenobi getting better with the saber too. He'd better wreck shop on Vader in the finale. 

I didn't think anyone knew who Leia was except Reva since the kidnapping was her secret plot. 

• Love 2
On 6/8/2022 at 11:39 PM, Dani said:

This doesn’t bother me because she was taken by the Empire. Handing her over to planetary powers would be like handing her back over to the Empire.

Did I miss or forget about something where Bail Organa said he thought Leia was kidnapped by the Empire? Obi-Wan didn't find Leia in anything that looked like official Empire holding. She was being held in a shady location by a shady looking criminal gang. The Inquisitors were after him, not Leia. 

Obi-Wan had plenty of time to contact Bail Organa while on the trade route ship and while they were hanging out waiting for the contact. Having a rendezvous point with official Alderaan forces (or even Bail Organa himself) would have been much safer for Leia than hoping the random conman's illegal Underground Railroad people would be able to keep her safe on an Empire-controlled planet. I think it would have been safer for Obi-Wan, too, since Bail can make sure that the Alderaanian forces don't ask too many questions about who Obi-Wan is.

5 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

Did I miss or forget about something where Bail Organa said he thought Leia was kidnapped by the Empire? Obi-Wan didn't find Leia in anything that looked like official Empire holding. She was being held in a shady location by a shady looking criminal gang. The Inquisitors were after him, not Leia. 

Obi-Wan had plenty of time to contact Bail Organa while on the trade route ship and while they were hanging out waiting for the contact. Having a rendezvous point with official Alderaan forces (or even Bail Organa himself) would have been much safer for Leia than hoping the random conman's illegal Underground Railroad people would be able to keep her safe on an Empire-controlled planet. I think it would have been safer for Obi-Wan, too, since Bail can make sure that the Alderaanian forces don't ask too many questions about who Obi-Wan is.

Yes, when all of this started, the Empire wasn't directly involved. Reva went against the GI and hired Flea to kidnap Leia. I think the planet they took her too was outside of the Empire's jurisdiction, which is why Bail couldn't easily recover her. I think the show isn't leaning in enough on the political complexities here. Even though Bail Organa is a good guy, and the Empire is bad, he is a high ranking government member. The fact that there's an Inquisitor using his daughter as bait should be a bigger deal, but they're sort of glossing over the fact that, as Leia pointed out, Reva and Leia are technically on the same side. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
11 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

I think the show isn't leaning in enough on the political complexities here. 

Did Lucas read this yet??? Vader will miss a showdown with Kenobi because of a Trading Blockade.... no shuttle hyperspace coils

Edited by paigow
  • LOL 2
13 hours ago, norcalgal said:

Out of all the live action SW series (Mandalorian, Boba Fett, Obi-Wan) this is the one I looked forward to the most, not just because I've long had a crush on Ewan, but Obi-Wan is my favorite Jedi. I'm sad that it's turning out to be my least fave of the three (and that's saying something considering I was BORED with much of Boba Fett).  I truly hope the final two episodes are LIGHTS OUT Must See TV. Otherwise, I have zero problem putting Obi-Wan into the "need never watch again" pile.

I am sort of having the opposite experience. My expectations on this one were super low but it is probably the most interested I have been in a star wars show since Mando season 1. The acting is good, and the reasons the main character does things make sense. It's straight forward without having to watch a bunch of cartoons as prerequisite and it doesn't feel like they are setting up spin offs already. Sure there is a bunch of dumb stuff but Star Wars in general is full of dumb stuff.

6 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

Does Alderaan even have any kind of military/security forces? Or would that kind of thing be handled by storm troopers? Even if they did Bail doesn't really know who took his daughter so it could have easily been an inside job. So in that respect it makes sense to hire the only person you can trust.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Those shady looking criminals revealed the whole plot. From that moment going to any officials is off the table. 

Obi-Wan had plenty of time to contact Bail Organa while on the trade route ship and while they were hanging out waiting for the contact. Having a rendezvous point with official Alderaan forces (or even Bail Organa himself) would have been much safer for Leia than hoping the random conman's illegal Underground Railroad people would be able to keep her safe on an Empire-controlled planet. I think it would have been safer for Obi-Wan, too, since Bail can make sure that the Alderaanian forces don't ask too many questions about who Obi-Wan is.

That assumes he had the means to make contact which isn’t a guarantee on an unmanned ship or in the middle of nowhere. If he did make contact (he could have for all we know) it may not be that simple for Alderaan forces to get to them in time. Sitting and waiting in the middle of nowhere on an Empire controlled planet with no food, water and a 10 year old for Bail’s people to travel from Alderaan to Maputo isn’t a great plan. 

1 hour ago, Dani said:

Sitting and waiting in the middle of nowhere on an Empire controlled planet with no food, water and a 10 year old for Bail’s people to travel from Alderaan to Maputo isn’t a great plan. 

And the rescue team is a bunch of dudes that failed to prevent the original kidnapping...

On 6/9/2022 at 7:16 PM, Dani said:

Is this referring to the line "you came to us from the gutter"? Or some other instance? Because seeing as that comes from the Grand Inquisitor, it might just be a reference to  her being a youngling ( and the Inquisitors hate the Jedi) as she also says she had a droid once and I don't think someone who was a scavenger would necessarily have a droid for too long 

• Love 2
On 6/8/2022 at 3:16 AM, paigow said:

Who are the trophies? Why are they important? The Inquisitors watched the newest season of Dexter?

I wonder if they aren't victims of the same experiments that Grogu was part of on the Mandalorian. There were earlier experiments whose to say when it all started. It might even explain why they are chasing force sensitive people and why they are so much rarer in twenty years.

• Love 2
On 6/8/2022 at 10:30 AM, Grimnar said:

I don't know but to me it seems that writting is getting worse with each new episode except few moments.

I've figured out why all these Star Wars TV shows, including this one, are so bad: There is no depth to characters or plots. 

Watching Tala bluff her way into the station was like watching Hogan's Heroes. "Do you want me to wake up the fuhrer?, hmmm?" The plot devices are so well-worn they are cliches. 

Ben can apparently dive 50  feet? 100? More? (I mean, it has to be fairly deep, or they would have been able to answer when he asked how deep it was, right?) with apparently no pressure from the depth is just lazy. 

Characters show up (Wade? Who is Wade?) and then die immediately, like we will care. They show us a "tomb" for Jedi who ... we already know are dead, so ... why?

Even the dialogue is sloppy. Reva didn't put a tracker on "their ship," as she said to Vader. That ship just showed up, how was that possible? She put it on Lala the droid.

And wouldn't the fact that Leia had enough force to resist Reva be something worth making a fuss over, when the Empire is eradicating Jedi?

And then the unearned emotion. Really, Obi-Wan barely knows Leia, and she, him, at this stage. Yet the show manipulates emotions shamelessly, without earning it.

We  had just watched Barry before catching this Obi-Wan ep. Barry is almost entirely about depth, and motivations and who is doing what and why. Obi-Wan is like  Saturday morning cartoon.

On 6/9/2022 at 7:40 AM, KeithJ said:

One thing bothered me in this episode.

One thing? LOL.

• Love 4

Okay not really sure how some of those are sloppy writing especially since it has been established in TPM that Jedi can do those deep underwater dives. Also it isn’t just force sensitive people that can resist Jedi mind tricks which again has been established in the movies. With the tracker comment and the tombs both leave the viewers without immediate answers. With the tracker it is if she is lying or if not how did she do it. With the tomb it brings up a lot of questions about who is in there and why? The writers are not immediately spoon feeding the audience the answers. Eventually they do provide the answer for the tracker and with the tombs we may get answers in the next two episodes or maybe it is to be used in a different story that is to come. 

With Wade’s death, it isn’t necessarily for the viewers to care. This show is about transitioning Obi Wan from the PTSD, guilt ridden man that we see at the beginning to the path that leads him to the person he is in Rebels and in ANH. He has lost so much faith in the kindness of others. He sees in this episode people who have lost people and been hurt by the Empire but are still going out of their ways to help others even at the expense of their own lives. 

How would Leia and Obi Wan not have an emotional connection already? Even before this, Leia is the child of his best friend and a woman he not only admired but considered a friend. Plus he was literally there when she was born so how wouldn’t the events that have happened just created a greater emotional bond with her for Obi Wan. And for Leia, here is a man who has risked his life multiple times to save her so why wouldn’t she feel an emotional bond with him no matter how little time they have known each other?

I understand not everyone is going to like the show. Hell it does have it’s problems. Leia being kidnapped twice is a bit much. There are times the shows budget becomes obvious. If it weren’t for the sequels and Solo, this would have been made to a good movie with a shortened time and better budget. 

Also I think if you are going to make a six episode series they should be between 40-60 mins. These 30 minute episodes are a bit of a let down. 

As others have mentioned this was probably the weakest episode but I am enjoying Obi WAN’s journey so far. really liked that you could see him getting his confidence back with the lightsaber with little flourishes after he got rid of a couple of the stormtroopers. 

• Applause 3
  • Love 8
(edited)

It's not a point by point debate over a bad TV show, so aside from the one comment below I'll only say this: A show that makes the viewer constantly say "huh?" because it either is too lazy to accurately state what actually happened, or assumes viewers will identify with something that hasn't been earned, is just not a good show. Those things should be seamless.

On 6/11/2022 at 5:46 AM, ybrik said:

With the tomb it brings up a lot of questions about who is in there and why? The writers are not immediately spoon feeding the audience the answers.

I love shows that don't spoon feed answers. Nothing better than a show that starts off an episode and after 10 minutes, you are left wondering, "What the heck is going on?" But that only works when the writing is intelligent. In terms of the tombs, I cannot think of an eventual answer that will matter. Either the Jedi are dead and that's a trophy case, or they are in suspended animation and will come back (which would be a betrayal of one of the few meaningful aspects of the SW saga), but whatever it is, *it doesn't change anything.* 

It is most likely the continuation of the Star wars franchise's fetish with constantly bringing back characters, races and planets from its past. This franchise is creatively bankrupt, and milking its past. That's why it is so disappointing. 

Edited by Ottis
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
On 6/10/2022 at 7:29 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

Bail may also not have wanted to report the kidnapping through official government channels because the risk of anyone finding out the daughter of Anakin Skywalker is just out there for the taking. 

If Bail had gone through official channels, it would have been described as his daughter. No one would know who her biological parents were based on the official report of the kidnapping. 

22 hours ago, Ottis said:

And wouldn't the fact that Leia had enough force to resist Reva be something worth making a fuss over, when the Empire is eradicating Jedi?

I thought that being able to resist the force (like Jedi mindtricks) was based on just pure stubbornness, which would be a quality present in those force sensitive and also a number of regular people. 

• Love 3
On 6/10/2022 at 6:33 PM, Ottis said:

Ben can apparently dive 50  feet? 100? More? (I mean, it has to be fairly deep, or they would have been able to answer when he asked how deep it was, right?) with apparently no pressure from the depth is just lazy. 

Recreational diving is down as far as 130 ft and with technical training divers can go deeper than that. Kenobi wasn’t deep enough to have problems with the pressure or the air he was breathing.

”Two raccoons in a trenchcoat” that was hilarious. No wonder the empire crumbled, the clone degradation was happening faster than expected.

Poor little jedi kid in the mushroom hat, they were told to run and he didn’t get far.

The dead jedi on display - of course they were because Vader is the galaxy’s biggest drama queen.

• Love 3

My biggest problem is that this show has to have drama so people will watch.   Buuuut we know what happens in a few years in A New Hope.   So none of the drama NOW can affect what we saw happen almost 50 years ago (ugh, really????).   Which is where it is failing.

There is no way in hell that Leia upon being kidnapped AGAIN by Vader and his goons is all "oh hey, you kidnapped me, have fun with that" in a New  Hope.   After being interrogated and almost tortured at only 10 years old, she most likely has PTSD.   She would have been thinking about that experience during her time on the Death Star.   But we saw none of that.

Same with Obi Wan.   Oh this Princess whose dad fought with me in the Clone Wars has been captured by Vader and we need to go save her?   Sure, I can take the Chosen One and go do it.   Not "Oh DAMMIT, they got her again, I must save her because she is force sensitive too."   Not one mention in ANH that Leia is important to overall things besides being a leader of the Rebels.   Until it is needed plotwise that she is Luke's sister.   

But now, they need DRAMA, and to address all the complaints about how Obi Wan favored Luke when there were CLEARLY female Jedi.   So they made this big storyline.   Which doesn't FIT with what came after.   They could have just made a series where Obi Wan is saving Luke's life on Tattooine because Luke is an idiot who keeps getting into trouble.   "Go find Obi Wan, Lassie, Luke's fallen in the well again" sort of thing.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Which doesn't FIT with what came after. 

I think it does though.   When the series starts, Obi-Wan believes Anakin is dead, that he died horribly by Obi-Wan's hand and was corrupted by the dark side, blah blah.   Anakin's turn to the dark side happened while he was teamed with Obi-Wan, so their is a ton of guilt there (dead Padme, etc as well).  Besides of course all of the dead Jedi because they had no idea this great evil was pulling the strings all around them.  Obi-Wan is hiding on Tatooine - if he were on Alderaan, he would stand out if he were hovering around the Organas.  Due to their status and Bail being a Senator, they interact with a lot of people who could expose him.

Obi-Wan doesn't know that Anakin is alive but he knows about the Inquisitors and that they are hunting Jedi.  Leia is safe as long as she doesn't manifest a Force ability (and Bail would def contact him if so) and as long as no one knows who she is.  Also, as long as the guards on Alderaan don't suck, which we now know is not the case.

On Tatooine, he doesn't even know if Luke can use the Force - we know this because Owen says "you want to know if he's showing".  Obi-Wan, I believe, wants to try to atone for what happened with Anakin.    He's living a solitary existence and obsessing over the link with his past that's right in front of him.

These adventures will show him that it's a mistake to try to contact Luke and develop the Force.  We know this doesn't happen for another decade.  He will hover and watch.   We don't know what will happen when Leia gets back to the Organas; I have theories and will wait and see.

5 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Not one mention in ANH that Leia is important to overall things besides being a leader of the Rebels.   Until it is needed plotwise that she is Luke's sister.   

Being so key to the rebellion is the most important thing, IMO.  We see how important she is all through the first trilogy.  Getting those plans and destroying the Death Star was the most important thing in the first movie.  Obi-Wan never interacts with the adult Leia and I would fanwank that he doesn't tell Luke at first to avoid distracting him and exposing her.  Who knows what his plans might have been if they had all escaped together.   It is because of Luke that Vader realizes "sister".

Now the sister thing was totally unplanned and does have to be pretzel twisted a bit but overall I think the story is flowing well.

• Like 7
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, merylinkid said:

There is no way in hell that Leia upon being kidnapped AGAIN by Vader and his goons is all "oh hey, you kidnapped me, have fun with that" in a New  Hope.   After being interrogated and almost tortured at only 10 years old, she most likely has PTSD.   She would have been thinking about that experience during her time on the Death Star.   But we saw none of that.

I know people with severe emotional trauma who do an excellent job of repressing it and making sure no one knows sees it or is aware of it (how healthy that is is a totally seperate issue and not relevant to this discussion). Leia may have been thinking about it when she was alone, but around Vader and his goons makes sure they see almost no trace of fear or weakness. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Luke in ANH no way could be trusted that he has a sister. 

Had Obi-Wan made it off the Death Star with them, I think he would have told Luke at some point. That kiss in Empire could have been prevented. But blame the writers and Lucas for that mess, not Obi-Wan.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Had Obi-Wan made it off the Death Star with them, I think he would have told Luke at some point. That kiss in Empire could have been prevented. But blame the writers and Lucas for that mess, not Obi-Wan.

I don't know. Ghost Obi Wan hung out with Luke for years, and it took Yoda confessing there was another Skywalker on his deathbed for Obi Wan to finally spill the beans. Especially knowing how bonkers Anakin went over his forbidden love for Padme, Obi Wan should have nipped Luke's fascination with Leia in the bud right away, but, you know, Star Wars continuity is always an uphill battle. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, absnow54 said:

I don't know. Ghost Obi Wan hung out with Luke for years, and it took Yoda confessing there was another Skywalker on his deathbed for Obi Wan to finally spill the beans. Especially knowing how bonkers Anakin went over his forbidden love for Padme, Obi Wan should have nipped Luke's fascination with Leia in the bud right away, but, you know, Star Wars continuity is always an uphill battle. 

Obi Wan never gave Luke information he needed. He never told him that Vader was his father. Even though he wanted Luke to confront and kill him. There's never a good time to learn Vader was his father. But finding out after he killed Vader would have been horrible. Also, Luke and Vader learning they were related is what kicked started Vader's return to the Light Side.

On 6/12/2022 at 2:18 PM, raven said:

On Tatooine, he doesn't even know if Luke can use the Force - we know this because Owen says "you want to know if he's showing".  Obi-Wan, I believe, wants to try to atone for what happened with Anakin.    He's living a solitary existence and obsessing over the link with his past that's right in front of him.

It's annoying that Obi Wan doesn't consider Leia at all. But your exactly right on why Obi Wan is so focused on Luke. He wants to atone for what happened with Anakin.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 6/9/2022 at 11:09 AM, Ilovepie said:

When Reva decided to play nice cop and she sweetly said "I can tell my dad and he can tell you - we're all on the same side, right? I'LL NEVER TELL YOU!!!!" I loved it.

That whole exchange just cracked me up. They both dropped the act quickly. Reva went from somewhat friendly lady to "I hope you like pain" and "let's make those tears real!". And Leia went from meek little girl to her patented defiance before being dragged away. I love the callback to ANH that even under duress and torture, Leia does not crack. And that Obi-Wan knew she didn't.

22 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Luke in ANH no way could be trusted that he has a sister. 

Yeah, Yoda & Obi-Wan were smart keeping that from him. Hell, he only managed to keep it secret for a few days in RotJ before spilling the beans to Leia and getting it pried from his mind by Vader.

Edited by bunnyblue
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, bunnyblue said:

That whole exchange just cracked me up. They both dropped the act quickly. Reva went from somewhat friendly lady to "I hope you like pain" and "let's make those tears real!". And Leia went from meek little girl to her patented defiance before being dragged away. I love the callback to ANH that even under duress and torture, Leia does not crack. And that Obi-Wan knew she didn't.

I love that whole scene but that moment is my favorite. Reva comes off very sincere, we're both on the same sides and sounded like she had all her bases covered. Leia sounds like she's about to break but then asks to speak to her father if they were on the same side. I love Reva's response to that with "Nice try." It really was. A very smart answer.  

• Love 3
On 6/12/2022 at 12:18 PM, raven said:

Obi-Wan doesn't know that Anakin is alive but he knows about the Inquisitors and that they are hunting Jedi.  Leia is safe as long as she doesn't manifest a Force ability (and Bail would def contact him if so) and as long as no one knows who she is.  Also, as long as the guards on Alderaan don't suck, which we now know is not the case.

These adventures will show him that it's a mistake to try to contact Luke and develop the Force.  We know this doesn't happen for another decade.  He will hover and watch. 

I love that this show is exploring young Leia and not young Luke. There's much more room with her to create an original backstory. I think that glimpse we got of Luke pretending to fly on top of the house tells us what we need to know about him and his life on Tatooine. We already know he's living pretty much the same existence when Obi-Wan contacts him 10 years later in ANH. I think Obi maybe chose to watch over Luke though because Luke was placed on Anakin's home planet with his own family members. That's more dangerous for Luke if Vader comes looking. Yes Leia is living a more high profile life, but I don't think anyone is questioning her birth parentage and she has (supposedly) more protection being the child of a high profile government leader.

• Sad 1
  • Love 6

I have to admit that I’m not a huge fan of everything they’ve done with child-Leia. I think the little actress is great, and I’ve really enjoyed the quiet moments she’s had with Ben, especially the ones about her parents. But in a lot of other respects, I feel like they’ve essentially just made her grown-up Leia. All the sass and confidence and recklessness feel unearned to me because she’s 10. There can absolutely be indications of all those characteristics in a 10yo, but I’d find little Leia more compelling as a character if we could see her grow in those areas - if we saw signs of fear and uncertainty in her interrogation by Reva, but also saw her determine to stand her ground. I’d love to see her learn and gain confidence (or humility) through the experiences she’s having right now. This “Leia has always been Leia” approach to her as a child seems kind of lazy to me.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, bethy said:

All the sass and confidence and recklessness feel unearned to me because she’s 10.

I had the opposite reaction. It gave me a little more insight into Princess Leia from ANH. Most of us have some of the sass and recklessness disciplined out by parents and teachers. Little Leia has doting, older parents, no siblings, retainers she's always trying to escape and up until now, very little consequences to her personal rebellious nature. The confidence she has at the beginning of Obi-Wan was punctured but is now becoming more earned. Though I agree they haven't shown much more than glimpses of the fear she felt in certain scenes but I'm guessing that was a choice by the director.  Too much real fear/terror might scare the kiddos.

Spoiler

I did love her ordering a ladder and crawling up into the mess of wires on the latest episode. 

• Love 5
(edited)

This show is quite frustrating.  The break-in attempt wasn't fun to watch since it was so flimsy.  Surely, someone could check with a superior about why Tala was checking in at a base where she wasn't supposed to be.  And then she could log in to a computer without raising any security flags and whisper to herself within hearing range of a bunch of people?  Meanwhile, Obi-wan didn't even bother to wear a disguise once he was in.  

Third sister deserved a special place in hell for being ready to torture a child.  I wanted to turn off the episode the moment she appeared onscreen.

And now there is the frustrating tracking device.

Meanwhile, innocent people are dying and this is supposed to be family popcorn entertainment?  

I do like Tala though, so I was nervous that she was going to get killed.  I hope she makes it through, since she is more root-able than the title character.

Edited by Camera One
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
On 6/26/2022 at 12:55 AM, Camera One said:

Third sister deserved a special place in hell for being ready to torture a child.  I wanted to turn off the episode the moment she appeared onscreen.

I hated that moment. I know it's par for the course for the Sith. But she's a 10 year old kid.