Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E04: A Suitable Twist

• Start Topic

If I were a designer, I can't imagine a more inspiring place to sketch than a Red Robin. Definitely the most awkward sponsor they've had to try to work in to the show.

So happy to discover that the replay is only on hour and eliminates 30 minutes of dram-o-rama BS. Much better, although Amanda still had way too many talking heads. Among the many improvements I wish for this show, bringing back a lame-o loser from a previous season tops the list. It's boring. It's annoying. Stop it, show.

Double elimination = good, and not for the drama. Good to get more cannon fodder outta there. Way too many contestants.

Oh, it's so funny and daring when the judges say "vagina." Those crazy kids.

• Love 4

I am on the Sandhya dislike train.  I think she comes across as "poor me" and wants to appear to be the underdog when in actually she is in the "production's" favor.  Has anyone ever been able to pick materials for the rest of the designers before?  How did she not get called out for the stupid mustache she stenciled on the outfit....on the back it looked like a tramp stamp.

Not that I am a giant fan of anyone this season so far - but enough already with the Sadhya love train.

• Love 6

Heidi didn't need to remind us that it isn't the judges' "first day", because I think they're all senile and blind at this point. (apologies to all blind and senile people who might see...oops forget it)

And WTF with these sponsors? Next I suppose we'll get the Claire's Accessory Wall, the Prince Matchabelli makeup collection and Aqua Net hair products. I thought it was bad enough years ago that they had designers working on HP computers (Few could hide the "where's my Mac?" face) 

Oh and Fade should have won.

If I were a designer, I can't imagine a more inspiring place to sketch than a Red Robin. Definitely the most awkward sponsor they've had to try to work in to the show.

Applebee's was unavailable.

• Love 7

If it had been me, I'd have more clearly said "Red Robin took something (hamburger) that can be rather old fashioned and made it new and interesting.  The challenge for you, designers, is to take these old fashioned suits and turn THEM into something new and fresh."

• Love 10

Remember way back in Season 2 when Daniel kept being in the safe group until midway through he started winning challenge after challenge?  Yeah, I think Fade is in the Daniel Zone.  

I personally think he's in the Dmitry zone. Dmitry made stuff early on that could have easily put him in top 3 (in some cases win), but he didn't emerge until the second half of the season and ended up winning the entire thing. 

As for the episode:

-Disagreed with Amanda's win. She already won for that same dress two weeks ago. Kini deserved the win. 

-Sandyha was fair in giving out the suits. I also liked that she stood up for herself against Hernan. Sandhya doesn't strike me as a mean or vicious person as Hernan says. If Sandyha was truly a heinous person her true colors would have come out by now with all the stress. No one can hide their true selves for long on shows like this. 

-Add motorcycle jackets to the list of garments that should be banned from PR competition. 

-Kristina's model was AWFUL. She was slouched over the entire time and did nothing to sell the look. 

• Love 5

This was the first time that I actually thought "aah, I get it now" when I saw Sandhya's dress - I thought it was quirky, and whimsical and amusing. I could see how it was not high fashion, but nevertheless it was unique on that runway. Loved the mustache, mostly because the whole thing reminded me of some trippy take on Monopoly, with all the squares and little old guy mustache. 

What is going on with the freaking fringe fawning? I do not get it. Amanda's dress seemed so tacky to me, and so did her winning look from the "green collection". Probably just not my taste, because for me its such a silly embellishment. Also, I think so far everything Amanda did had fringe on it? How come Tim or the judges are not calling her out on it? 

Also, was Alexander's look made fully out of the suit, ie. was the skirt made from pants? If yes, very good job, if not, I think he should have gone home just for not using enough of the suit (requirement was 'prominent use"). 

99.9% of the time I do not care about the name calling, but Hernan's "beeetch" during the runway was just so vicious and rancorous - and what was the worst from my PoV was that he tried disguising in "aw i dont really mean it like that, j/k LOL". Pathetic. Glad he is out. 

[e] - missed a word

Edited by joouiie
  • Love 3

And WTF with these sponsors? Next I suppose we'll get the Claire's Accessory Wall, the Prince Matchabelli makeup collection and Aqua Net hair products. I thought it was bad enough years ago that they had designers working on HP computers (Few could hide the "where's my Mac?" face)

You had me with Prince Matchabelli. I haven't heard that name in years! 

If it had been me, I'd have more clearly said "Red Robin took something (hamburger) that can be rather old fashioned and made it new and interesting.  The challenge for you, designers, is to take these old fashioned suits and turn THEM into something new and fresh."

That is much more interesting than the way it was presented. I'm not sure what out dated suits had to do with hamburgers. Unless they are saying they are old and outdated.  You should work in Brand Transformation.  I love that job title.  It sounds kind of magical.  I hope Amanda doesn't win and make a fringe accessory for Red Robin.  I don't want dirty fringe trailing through my food.

I want the Payless Shoe Source accessory wall and the Suave hairstyling area.

Edited by beagletime
  • Love 7

How does an illiterate sorehead like Nina Garcia have paid employment?

In the episode where the judges talked about how they started out in their careers, Nina mentioned getting coffee, etc.

My parents watched that episode and when Nina said that, my dad replied "She should go back to getting coffee." I don't know why he said that, but something about Nina must have rubbed him the wrong way.

• Love 1

Watching Hernan get all snobby about the polyester suit he was assigned reminded me of one of the challenges from a bunch of seasons ago.  The designers had to repurpose/design an outfit for their client from their former favorite outfit.  One of the outfits was a wedding gown.  The designer was so appalled that it was polyester taffeta (or satin or what ever), that the only part of the gown he used was the collar.  On the runway the judges were shocked that it was all he did with all of that fabric.  They were also kind of pissed and kept questioning why he didn't use more fabric (he basically only used the bought fabric with just that collar) when every one else was struggling with the small amount that they had.  

Some of the contestants on this show give away their fabric snobbery.  This is not like the designer from an earlier season, southern black man, (can not remember his name but he was on one of the Allstar seasons), that actually picked blue polyester to make a dress for a magazine cover challenge, he got all sorts of crap for that.  This was a challenge that forced the designers to make do with what they had.  You have a beige suit in polyester, you can do more than bitch about it.  Yeah, poly may not die well but there are other treatments he could have tried (painting, the piecemeal thing Sean did, the quilting that Amanda attempted).  Sandhiya was right, bad designer and a lazy designer.  

• Love 2

I'm growing increasingly concerned about Fade's designs being ignored. I think he's been robbed multiple times already, and we're only four challenges in. Hopefully he'll be in the top once more of the chafe is separated out from this group.

I haven't been a fan of Sandhya's designs, but she went up in my estimation when she flipped Hernan off. Usually I'd see that as an extremely unprofessional thing to do, but holy shit, did someone need to smack that whiner down. I'm glad he's gone.

• Love 5

That is much more interesting than the way it was presented. I'm not sure what out dated suits had to do with hamburgers. Unless they are saying they are old and outdated.  You should work in Brand Transformation.  I love that job title.  It sounds kind of magical.  I hope Amanda doesn't win and make a fringe accessory for Red Robin.  I don't want dirty fringe trailing through my food.

Oh goodness, I just had visions of a leather cuff bracelet with fringe hanging off of it....oh no.  

I draw the line at the Payless Shoe Wall and the Walmart Accessory Wall.  I don't care how Tim tries to sell it.

I'm growing increasingly concerned about Fade's designs being ignored. I think he's been robbed multiple times already, and we're only four challenges in. Hopefully he'll be in the top once more of the chafe is separated out from this group.

I haven't been a fan of Sandhya's designs, but she went up in my estimation when she flipped Hernan off. Usually I'd see that as an extremely unprofessional thing to do, but holy shit, did someone need to smack that whiner down. I'm glad he's gone.

I can't think of a reason for some of Amanda's wins other than that they want to highlight her THs and her somewhat smug disposition.  That means, to me right now at least, its still a game based a lot on personality, and giving the wins to certain designers can stir up the drama that they want.  So, I am really hoping you're right.  Although I wouldn't put it past them to force TG to use his save on Fade (I hope they don't do that!!!!)

• Love 2
You all are scaring me. You are aware that people probably watch YouTube more than normal T.V. these days, right? So having an acclaimed channel on YouTube where each video someone uploads gets millions of views world-wide is a big deal.  I can certainly understand why they had a YouTube fashion blogger as a guest judge.

Yes but major designers also have youtube channels and actual fashion knowledge. If this youtuber couldn't do more than giggle or regurgitate what the other designers have already said then what good is she as a judge? It just make it apparent that PR only booked her as a judge to pull in ratings from the youtubers fans and that's a disservice to the the designers there to get feedback from someone better qualified to judge.

I like the way Amanda is handling her wins and losses. She's not being overly dramatic or angsty or teary or annoyingly defensive or going on and on with the excuses. Their opinion is their opinion and she's taking in stride and being gracious about it without kowtowing one bit. She treats them like regular people who are no better then she is. I like that about her.

Last week when they didn't like her look she smarted back, "Did you *see* those pants!?" I wouldn't exactly call that being gracious.

Edited by Milaxx
  • Love 3

Two words:  Waffle House.

Do not shade the Waffle House. The closest one to where I live is two states away, and I gave up pork decades ago, and everything up to and including the diet coke at Waffle House has pork in it, and I seriously mourn Waffle House.

I think it's been twenty years since I've heard Prince Matchabelli's name. Now I have the Wind Song theme stuck in my head. 

• Love 4

And WTF with these sponsors? Next I suppose we'll get the Claire's Accessory Wall, the Prince Matchabelli makeup collection and Aqua Net hair products. I thought it was bad enough years ago that they had designers working on HP computers (Few could hide the "where's my Mac?" face)

OKG--my evening beverage now sprayed all over my screen.  thanks. :)

Initially, I as charmed by Hernan's accent and  malaprops, mainly I think because I had a student from the DR and his take on English kept me laughing {not at him, but later in the day when I had time t think about what he said}.  But he {Hernan}, showed himself to  be a small, nasty man.  I give Sandyha props for coming right back at him.  If you are such a scary talent, you would have risen to the occasion, won the spot and laughed at what you perceived to be her bitchiness.  No, you folded like a cheap polyester tent.  Shut up.  Clean up your workspace and be gone.

Nina really needs to go.

I'm just too damn old for this show.

Amanda--every time she speaks she reminds me of the horrid Gretchen and her false humility.  Just  no. 

• Love 2

I missed it - what did the guest judge do on youtube that makes her a 'sensation'?

Apparently having  a channel with lots of followers makes you a sensation even when you have no skills and/or knowledge of fashion.

Edited by Milaxx
  • Love 3

Red Robin is really trying to sell that pineapple, fried eggs, and veggie burgers are super innovative in the burger game?

It was pretty dumb for Char to say "I'm seeing yellow" in describing why Sandhaya's was a mess. Of course she's seeing lots of yellow; half of her suit was yellow. And Char made a yellow top in the first challenge.

Mitchell on the floor trying to see up his model's skirt actually cracked me up.

I thought Heidi's outfit was ugly. That top looked like just a t-shirt in blue snakeskin print.

Although I think mustaches are trite and definitely junior and the whole design was not high fashion, this is the first of Sandhya's looks that I haven't hated.

I didn't like Christine's pants, but I didn't think she should be in the bottom over Mitchell. But it is pretty bad that there was a pin and tape in her jacket.

I'm so irritated that Kini didn't win and that now all of the challenges have been won by either Sandhaya or Amanda.

I don't care for Hernan, but I really thought Sean should have gone home.

When I saw the line-up of suits, I predicted to my cat that Sandhya would pick the yellow and purple one because it was perfect for her since it was so Bollywood. I kind of suspect the producers put that one in there because they also thought that only she would want it. I noticed that when it came down the runway, Heidi grinned a huge delighted grin, as if a.) she thought, "Aha, I know who designed that one," or b.) she really loved it, or c.) both.

• Love 1

I cannot comment as I may or may not work for the company that owns the Suave brand. (we also used to own Aqua Net and Prince Matchabelli but I can safely mock THOSE brands now. :)

OMG Fade's dress was stunning! Kini's dress was stunning! Amanda won? With the same basic dress she just made? WTF? So, did I miss some rule that this season only Sandhya or Amanda can win so because Sandhya won the last one, it was Amanda's win by default?

I will keep watching until both Fade and Kini are gone, because I adore them both more than I have any designer in like the last three of four seasons. But seriously, this show has gotten boring. It's focused too much on "personalities" than on actual design. So sad.

I would love to see Fade and Kini team up together to make something, anything. They both have a great eye, strong construction and a sense of whimsy.

And I, too, liked Sandhya more this ep than I have since the first. I loved her in the pre-show but then, on the show, she wore on my nerves with her "they all hate me" bit, overpraise and designs that left me going WThuh? But I finally saw that whimsy and imagination this challenge that I fell in love with pre-show. I hope this trend continues because I think I want to like her more than I have recently.

• Love 5

This was the first time that I actually thought "aah, I get it now" when I saw Sandhya's dress - I thought it was quirky, and whimsical and amusing. I could see how it was not high fashion, but nevertheless it was unique on that runway. Loved the mustache, mostly because the whole thing reminded me of some trippy take on Monopoly, with all the squares and little old guy mustache. 

I personally am so sick of the mustache and I don't GET IT.  They're everywhere!  On women's t-shirts, necklaces, etc...  I just don't understand the appeal.  But, I kind of liked Sandyha's garment minus the mustaches.  I prefered Fade and Kini's overall.

• Love 3

I cannot comment as I may or may not work for the company that owns the Suave brand. (we also used to own Aqua Net and Prince Matchabelli but I can safely mock THOSE brands now. :)

Question: is there an actual Prince Matchabelli, or is he just totally made up for purposes of dotting perfume onto women's toes (which seemed very pervy to me, but whatever, I mean, who am I to judge a prince?)

Edited by RealityGal
  • Love 1

When Hernan commented that Sadhya was a bitch when cameras weren't around, I chalked it up to his own inadequacies. Mind you, I'm not a Sadhya fan because I think she's a legend in her own mind.  But I hadn't seen anything other than Sadhya being a rather inadequate designer, and consequently booked to be a Project Runway high achiever. When Hernan commented during judging and ended with a casual "bitch" which I think is a word he uses a lot without meaning anything specifically unpleasant, and Sadhya told him never to speak to her that way, I was amused in a "good for you, Sadhya" sort of way. When I rewatched the show, and spotted Sadhya giving him the finger while ordering him not to speak to her that way, I realized  that he was very probably right. She may not have realized how ugly the finger gesture is, or how commonly used the word "bitch" is.  But she certainly came across poorly. I think Hernan was right. She's not as nice as she tries to make herself look. 

I don't think you get to proclaim yourself as the Fashion Voice of Crushing the Menz when you marry somebody that someone else picks out for you.  Nor when you fold any time Tim Gunn makes a comment about your design. It makes me wonder how long Tim Gunn can keep her in the competition.  I'm betting he'd be happy to use his Special Save to keep her around.

• Love 2

Something must be wrong with my cable..instead of the beginning of the episode, all I got was a Red Robin commercial! Did you know that they actually make burgers for people who don't eat meat? What a concept!

I agree with the above poster who compared Fade to Dmitry. Every week i wait for his design to come out on top, but he is ignored. Hopefully, like Dmitry, Fade's time is coming. I find Fade very appealing, possibly because I just came back from Germany, though none of the elderly relatives i met there were anything like him. We haven't gotten to know him, though, because he is drama free, and always stuck in the middle.

I didn't dislike Amanda's but of the three in the top, thought Kini's should have won. 

I also didn't think it fair that Sandhya's advantage from last week should have stretched so far. She shouldn't have gotten first pick and then picked the next person to choose, and so on schoolyard fashion. these kind of challenges are difficult enough without having the fabric foist upon you.

Not that this gave Hernan the right to bitch and moan more than anybody else. Thank goodness they got rid of him. 

The wonder from Down Under has not impressed me at all so far. His look, right side out, might have been boring, but inside out it was horrid. I just would never were anything that looks like it's about to unravel right before my eyes. He was lucky Hernan went for the Super V. 

• Love 2

And speaking of beech, I think Sandhya's exchange with Hernan was the result of a miscommunication. On one hand, I applaud her for not taking any shit. But on the other hand, I don't think Hernan gives the word "bitch" as much strength as most do. He tacks it on the end of every sentence, like "dude." He was a whineypants, but overall I think he's a good guy.

I've never been okay with "reclaiming" racial or sexual/gender epithets for use as terms of familiarity.    And Hernan's "bitch" -- which he directed at Sandhya -- I found even more reprehensible because it came from a man.   A man who had treated her very poorly in the recent past.   Sandhya's response would have been more powerful without the profane gesture, but I like that she stood up for herself and insisted that she not be spoken to like that.

This show often makes me feel stupid.   I was aghast at Amanda's grade-school aesthetic.   I laughed aloud at the fringe.    In the end, the joke's on me because she won.    I thought Kini was going to cry.   I couldn't blame him.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 11

My Top 3 was Amanda, Fade and Kini. That said, I actually agree with Amanda's win: Kini's midsection seemed a little off center, and I wasn't a huge fan of the center-folds. I would have preferred the front peplem to be flat and then meet on the sides: it looked a little too much like a pair of vertical lips. I also felt like turning a suit into a menswear-inspired structural dress is much more "expected" than something that by all counts should have been hideous (and indeed WAS hideous for 80% of the episode) into something whimsical and flowy.

IMO, this is the second week in a row that I think Sean's look was the unqualified worst on the runway. That said, he's been saved twice by the weakness of his opponents. Last week Angela was eliminated for her track record (and inability to adapt to the competition), and Hernan for his complete inability to take on the challenge and own his mistakes. Sean's was an absolute disaster, but I nevertheless agree 100% with the boot.

I didn't love Kristine's, but the sheer amount of work and evidence of design put it ahead of Mitchell's by a longshot.

This is the first garment of Sandhya's that I kind of liked. I also appreciated Korrina's look, though I agree with Zac (for once) that the motorcycle jacket has been done to death. I would wear it (™ vapid guest judge), but it's hardly a fresh or creative look for a design competition. 

Me, too! I wouldn't have put it in the top, but it's definitely my favorite look from her thus far.

Question for Angela Sum if you happen to read this thread:

Which suit would you have chosen?  Why would you have chosen that one and what would you have made?  I'm very curious to hear your point of view.

I actually think she would have rocked the suit Hernan was given.

Tim just stood there like a leetle beech, not admitting to the judges that he encouraged Sean to show that skirt inside out. I hope it just got edited out, but I have my doubts

In Tim's defense, the other side of Sean's skirt looked like a faded old lawn chair.

The raw edges had potential. In theory it reminded me a bit of Alexandria's Butterfly dress, which I liked. However, the bandage crop top was absolutely hideous, and the way the skirt's fabric gathered on the side seams ruined the entire "deconstructed" effect. Neither of these elements were present for Tim's critique.

Well here is the thing......someone is going to get the shitty suit.  So even if Sandaya gave you the shitty suit, it was going to go to someone, you're not so special buttercup. 

I especially loved when he was blaming his inability to work with the vinyl on how terrible the suit was. Like, the fuck? Besides, when you're given a plain white fabric to work with, you can practically do anything with it.

I agree with you about Hernan's intention, but if Sandiya doesn't like being spoken to that way, I think its okay for her to voice that too.  Especially he was chastising her mid-whine about the fucking suit....again.....

Of course, but I'm not convinced flipping somebody the bird is the best way to accomplish that. Pot, meet kettle.

Remember way back in Season 2 when Daniel kept being in the safe group until midway through he started winning challenge after challenge?  Yeah, I think Fade is in the Daniel Zone.  

Mondo, too. I think Fade and Mondo both have those aesthetics that require some getting used to.

Yep. Amanda = Gretchen 2.0

I continue to be completely flabbergasted by this degree Amanda hate. I get that she may not be everyone's cup of tea, but Gretchen was a delusional bully. Beyond the hippy thing, I don't get it.

Edited by Oholibamah
  • Love 6

With respect to game strategy, I don't think it's ever a good idea to tell the judges on PR that you didn't use the full amount of time allocated for a challenge. While the judges may express admiration that you are fast, I don't think the judges take speed into consideration in their judging. On the other hand, if anything is wrong with the garment, it leaves the judges with the opportunity to criticize the designer for not fixing the problem when they had the chance. Also, I think there may be a feeling among the judges that the competition is so important that the designer should want to use all the time allotted to perfect their garment.

That said, nothing was shown to indicate that the judges rated Kini either more or less favorably for finishing early, so I guess we'll have to assume that in this case it was a non-factor.

• Love 7

With respect to game strategy, I don't think it's ever a good idea to tell the judges on PR that you didn't use the full amount of time allocated for a challenge. 

That is the first thing I thought when he said it, because his response was right at the line of bragging, IMO.  And I think that almost works against you because I think presented with two things they like equally well, they may give it to the designer who actually had a struggle with the challenge, or they at least don't want to give it to the person who breezed through.  I didn't think they were going to give it to Alexander, and while I liked Alexanders dress, I thought it pretty much was in the top three because of the redemption story....so even if he didn't have the highest score, I thought they would put Alexander in the top three just to sort of talk about how much better he did.  I liked Alexander's dress, but I certainly didn't think it was better than Fade's.

So in terms of the win, I really could see it being between Amanda and Kini.  And if the judges liked them both equally, I could see them giving the win to Amanda because they may have perceived her as "working harder" for it.

• Love 4

I want Swatch and picklesprite's cat to be guest judges this season. Swatch has his own facebook page, ffs, and picklesprite's cat, while relatively unknown, has better taste than Nina Garcia.

Also.... Waffle House or is it Shoppe!!?! This could work hand in hand with Tim's alleged and most assuredly fake desire (has anyone read his books?) to have a cast of plus size models of a season.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 3

I want Swatch and picklesprite's cat to be guest judges this season. Swatch has his own facebook page, ffs, and picklesprite's cat, while relatively unknown, has better taste than Nina Garcia.

Also.... Waffle House or is it Shoppe!!?! This could work hand in hand with Tim's alleged and most assuredly fake desire (has anyone read his books?) to have a cast of plus size models of a season.

I'm sure that Tim isn't being genuine, but that is a great idea.  Maybe for an All-Stars season or something, because some of the designers on the regular season have a tough time with the size -2's.  

For me, Amanda = Gretchen 2.0 not because of her attitude being exactly the same but because, like Gretchen, Amanda is being praised for creating the same tired boring boho hippie designs that the judges keep claiming are so amazing when they're things you can find at thrift stores and boutiques that cater to trust find wannabe hippies.

When one of the other designers said that Amanda keeps designing hippie stuff and then asked if you can really win the show with that, I shuddered because that's exactly what Gretchen did, much to my dismay.

Amanda's design was not in my top 3. I don't think it was horrible enough to be in the bottom 3 (although off the top of my head, I don't remember enough to come up with a bottom 3 without checking the pictures on rate the runway). It was not original, interesting, or particularly flattering to her model but it wasn't as tacky as Hernan's.

Speaking of which, I'm glad he's gone. Not only was this dress ugly, but so was his attitude. He did not get the worst fabric available, and Sandhya didn't force him to buy brown vinyl. I couldn't believe he thought he would get away with lying on the runway. He spent so much time bitching about Sandhya and acting like he was a victim. When he said that she targetted him because she feels threatened by his talent, I thought I had somehow switched to an episode of ANTM. Like many other bitchy reality show contestants, he somehow believes that other people dislike him because of his "talent," not because he has a heinous attitude. No, Hernan, people dislike you because you're a petty dick.

I loved Kini's dress which was structured and sexy. I also really liked Fade's use of patterns. I thought Sandhya's looked fresh and youthful, but I didn't think it looked junior.

Korinna acted like a pouty bitch when she realized Christine was making a red motorcycle jacket too. It's not like this is the most original idea ever, so I don't see why she initially acted like this was a new innovative idea she had that Christine stole from her.

This may have been stated already, but what in the world is Red Robin, a hamburger chain, doing on a show about 'high' fashion???

As ludicrous as it seems to have Red Robin involved in this challenge in any way, it's not any weirder than the other sponsor challenges they've had (like when the designers had a bunch of cars lined up in a parking lot and they had to make clothes out of car parts). The sponsors are donating big ticket prizes so the show lets them be involved in one of the challenges. ITA that Red Robin is not synonymous with high fashion but neither are car companies.

To be honest, I'm just glad that Red Robin's invovement in this challenge was limited to that guy talking about burgers and then giving them unlimited fries while they sketched. I would have hated a Red Robin unconventional materials challenge (paper placemates! napkins! hairnets! burger buns!) or worse, a challenge where they had to use something in Red Robin as their inspiration.

• Love 3

To be honest, I'm just glad that Red Robin's invovement in this challenge was limited to that guy talking about burgers and then giving them unlimited fries while they sketched. I would have hated a Red Robin unconventional materials challenge (paper placemates! napkins! hairnets! burger buns!) or worse, a challenge where they had to use something in Red Robin as their inspiration.

I would have died laughing if the Red Robin guy was like "we're going to give you all bottomless fries....which you will use to make an accessory for your garment!"

• Love 3

This could be my ignorance, but when someone says motorcycle jacket, I expect to see sleeves. To me jacket = sleeves and vest = no sleeves. Both motorcycle jackets this week did not have sleeves. Are sleeves hard to make? Too time consuming for this show? 

The complaining about the fabrics reminds me of the reaction on the cooking competitions when the chefs are given a processed ingredient to use. They all stick up their noses and freak out. Same idea -- if you are really a good chef or designer, you can work with anything you are given. Think about it -- beautiful, luxe expensive fabric can shine on its own, but to make old corduroy look good, that takes talent. 

• Love 3

I thought Sandhya's design was darling, and I love Fade's work. Maybe his fashion isn't high, but so it's so well-fitting and sophisticated for real women. His colors are maybe too East German Cold War drab, but that's weirdly part of their beauty, too. My third fave was Kini.

As for the winner, my jaw is still on the floor and tangled in fringe.

I, too, love Fade's work. I'd have put him in the top easily. The mix of fabrics worked so well together. I guess I'm ok with him hanging around in the middle of the pack for now until the dead weight is eliminated and then maybe he can win a challenge or two.

• Love 3

I told my cat what you said and she is now so full of herself that I'm calling her Hernan today. I also pointed out to her that having "better taste than Nina Garcia" "is damning with faint praise."  :)

Edited by picklesprite
  • Love 14

Alexander: I thought this was nice enough but not spectacular. What were the judges seeing that I missed?

Nothing. It was his redemption for nearly being auf'd last week. $20 says Sean winds up in the top 3 next week.

• Love 3

Ha and if that had happened, you know Hernan would have been bitching about how he got the soggiest fries and he couldn't make anything because they were falling apart.

Which I assure you could have been traced back to Sandaya somehow....and how much she fears Hernan's colossal talent as a designer.

Edited by RealityGal
  • Love 2

Korinna acted like a pouty bitch when she realized Christine was making a red motorcycle jacket too. It's not like this is the most original idea ever, so I don't see why she initially acted like this was a new innovative idea she had that Christine stole from her.

My second favorite moment of the episode (after "Deconstruction: We know what that is, thanks") was Korinna not backing down from her indignation about Christine "also" designing a motorcycle jacket, while simultaneously not acknowledging that Christine was at that very moment wearing a motorcycle jacket.

Regarding the winner, I think difficulty of transformation was a factor in Kini placing second; Amanda's suit fabric was horrifying and from it she made something that expressed her design pov and excited the judges.  That said, I agree with many here that Fäde's was the best and Char's the most disappointing.

• Love 1

Alexander: I thought this was nice enough but not spectacular. What were the judges seeing that I missed?

Nothing. It was his redemption for nearly being auf'd last week. $20 says Sean winds up in the top 3 next week.

I actually think Sean might be going home next week.  So far, the best thing he has done has been the Cruella DiVille straw dress (which I would have loved even more as a jacket).  But he has been in the bottom twice now, he isn't getting a "drama queen/bitch edit" (neither is the girl with the nose ring, Samantha?? or Christine).  I think Alexander was ripe for a redemption because they were so hard on him the week before, I think Sean was the first of the bottom three last week to be saved, so it was just Alexander was just in.  So it made for a great redemption story, even though I felt his dress should have only been safe.  I don't know that they were really all that hard on Sean this week.  I know they snapped at him about knowing what deconstructed meant, but I felt like Zac was sort of like "well, I don't like it, but I see where you were coming from, and it just came off looking messy"

But seriously, its like trying to handicap a weiner dog race...what do I know?

• Love 2

OMG, picklesprite, please tell your cat I honestly intended no offense!!  I mean, of course, she has better taste than Nina. I was just trying to make a point. Now she'll never let me subscribe to her future youTube channel!!!!

• Love 1

If Nina starts saying vagina as often as Kors would say crotch, I am going to start calling her Nina Vagina, but mispronounce vagina so they rhyme. 

When Hernan was saying that Sandhya was different when she wasn't on camera, I was thinking "when isn't she not on camera?"  I would think they are being filmed all the time.  Perhaps not every second when they are back in the apartments, but Hernan wouldn't share an apartment with Sandhya, and I suppose the camera's stay out of the restroom most of the time, but Hernan shouldn't be in the bathroom with Sandhya either. 

I suppose we are also supposed to believe that Hernan's whining and complaining and enlarged ego are only for the cameras too. 

This may have been stated already, but what in the world is Red Robin, a hamburger chain, doing on a show about 'high' fashion???

Paying money to have it's name mentioned every week (an opportunity to design a Red Robin accessory) and get an episode to plug its products. 

I wish they would have had the Red Robin guy be the guest judge.  He would have tried to plug Red Robin in all his comments - "that fringe reminds me of the long, thin, crispy fries at Red Robin" "I like the mini dress and do not think it is too short - actually it reminds me of Red Robin's fries, which are also bottomless"

If I were a designer, I can't imagine a more inspiring place to sketch than a Red Robin. Definitely the most awkward sponsor they've had to try to work in to the show

My wish list for future sponsors ---

Depends (make a high fashion outfit that hides the model's adult diaper)

Kragen Auto Parts (unconventional challenge - fringe made from wiper blades)

Gatorade (your design must be in one of the Gatorade colors)

• Love 11