Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E04: A Suitable Twist

• Start Topic

Why do female's want mustaches on everything?

Exactly!  Don't we spend enough time & money on getting RID of hair?  It's not ironic, it's not cute, it's ridiculous. 

Poor Sean.  With that camel corduroy, I kept flashing back to an outfit I had in 7th grade.  Gauchos and a matching vest made in that EXACT same shade.  *sigh*  Some things just can't be forgotten.  

• Love 1

The FIRST time I saw that moustache was on Alexandria's Unconvential Materials (amusement park) challenge dress.  Between that and the droopy pants, she really was ahead of the curve on head-scratching design elements!

• Love 1

Maybe we live in the same local bubble- they're everywhere here too.  That's why when Sandyha said she was putting those on her design I almost screamed "noooooooooo" out loud.  Ugh. They're horrible.  And, to me, what's worse is that it's all targeted to girl's/women's fashion.  Why do female's want mustaches on everything??

Step into the Claire's at your local mall and you'll see an entire section of mustachioed accessories. I don't get it.

• Love 1

Poor Sean.  With that camel corduroy, I kept flashing back to an outfit I had in 7th grade.  Gauchos and a matching vest made in that EXACT same shade.  *sigh*  Some things just can't be forgotten.  

I remember that color as nerd beige. Computer geeks wore corduroys that color because they were generally on sale, because nobody wanted to wear it and they didn't care.

Most of the ones I kept track of can afford personal shoppers now :)

• Love 1

Also affecting Sean would be that the nap of the corduroy is so distinct and needs to all run in one direction.  What with how small all of the pieces would be once the designers broke down the suits, Sean would have very limited fabric that would all have to run one way.  I'm glad he survived.

• Love 1

Okay, that's it I am Officially WTFd for the remainder of the season, because if the moustache thing is already all over the (gasp) MALLS (now imagine that word said with a Neena sneer) I would have bet my car that the judges would have been all "that's sooooo junior department Mall of the Americas we wanted fashion forward!!!!!!"

But yet, no. Perhaps they have as a group decided to Red Robinize their taste levels.

• Love 2

With Sean's I feel like he should have gone with the boring side because it felt intentional. It wasn't a great design or a great color palette but I understood what he was doing. You can't just turn a garment inside out and call it deconstruction. If he wanted a messier look, I think he should have really gone for it and made it distressed and added more texture. Go for other interesting fabrics and maybe add some embellishment. The skirt was a sad mess and the top was just there to cover his model up. And that came across. 

Thank you for backing me up on the moustache thing. I'm not a mall person but I think there's been a trickle down effect. I think it's a super old idea by now. In my mind it started with the rise of hipsters, Brooklyn or Portland, take your pick, and is linked to etsy/homemade/DIY culture. And now it's reached the malls (though I thought it landed a year or two ago) where the idea is completely diluted and has no meaning anymore except... look at this thing that pings the center in your brain that recognizes things. This is cool, right? And that's where I think Sandhya was coming from, making her use of the moustaches super lame.

• Love 1

Oh I'd forgotten about Lyft and the mustaches. I'm still not a fan, but apparently others are. 

Here's more about the whole 7-11 Slurpee/Mustache thing: http://www.thatsnerdalicious.com/beverages/7-eleven-goes-hipster-with-mason-jar-slurpees-and-mustache-straws/. 

In any case I think it doesn't belong on PR... either it's not great to begin with, or it's already been "done" and it's all over the malls, or both. I dunno... maybe it fits in with the "Red Robinizing" (love that phrase!) of this season.

• Love 1

I want to smack Amanda in her smug fucking face. That is all.

Actually, that's not quite all. Hernan was a whiny beech in this episode. Everyone's suits were horrible fabric and/or prints. Deal with it.

I'm sure Dmitry from Season 10 would have bitched and moaned the entire episode whilst creating a work of art out of the polyester nightmare Hernan was given. The polyester simply served to show up Hernan's lack of skills, which meant he needed to go.

• Love 1

I like when the designers are forced to use less than ideal materials. Not everyone is going to be able to use luxe fabrics for various reasons. I really loved when the designers has to design for the WWE girls and had to use spandex a few seasons ago. In comparison, polyester isn't that bad!

I personally loathe wearing polyester so part of me gets the designers being snotty about it, but sometimes that's the fabric you need to use either because the print doesn't come in another material or the client wants it. I also remember one of the previous challenges where the designers had to reuse old wedding gowns and some of them were horrified by the polyester in one gown. At least the polyester suits this week weren't shiny white polyester!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

I personally love the designers who embrace these less than perfect materials/prints/challenges. I mean, really, no one thinks that what you design out of an ugly polyester suit is actually what your personal line is going to be, we are smart enough to know that you are working within a challenge so I don't get being snobby about it. Do I think that any of these designers are going to use old polyester in their real design careers? No. But I am excited to see what they can come up with when using one on what is really just a game show. Get excited about the challenge of using a material you will never again use. Who knows, you might surprise yourself. You might even like it. Look at what Amanda did with her butt ugly suit. I might have hated the fringe but I loved what she did with the material, mixing the two different sides was really quite clever. And Fade's manipulation of the pinstripes was beautiful. Some of these designers really rose to the challenge. Hell, Sandhya chose what, to me, was hands down the ugliest suit there and made it unrecognizable from the fabric she gave herself.

I am not a designer, I am a writer, so I don't know what the crossover is, but I love it when my friends give me a challenge. It's fun to try crazy shit sometimes.

• Love 1

I don't understand why the designers are so snotty about fabric. Aren't most of them starving artists anyway? It's not like everything they make at home in their basements is made of $40/yd fabric.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 1

If Hernan had taken even half the time he spent bitching about the fabric and whining about Sandya, and used that time to develop a creative approach to what was essentially pretty neutral fabric, once taken apart, he might still be on the show.

On second thought, so glad Hernan was such a whiny, bitchy piece of work!

• Love 1

Most obnoxious/immature moments of the episode: All the griping/hostility about the suits doled out. Sandya won the challenge. She had to dole out the suits.  These were the rules.  Someone had to get the ugly brown one and the ugly pink one and there wasn’t  anything she or anyone could do about it. To freak out about what was given to them, and rant about how she was only “pretending” to be sweet about it was just dumb.  Even if you think she intentionally gave you the crappy suit, this doesn’t make her “mean” anyway – if it hadn’t gone to you, it would have gone to someone else, and how would that have made her any “nicer”? It wasn’t like she could choose to give everyone the best suit. They reacted as if they thought she was a mean person because someone had to get the fabric the producers of the show picked out. A grown man called her a bitch for this. Seriously?

Another totally weird moment:  “When she’s off camera, she’s a totally different person.” Huh? It’s a reality show. The cameras are rolling 24/7. What “off camera” persona have you so carefully observed? Oh crap, did you not read your contract and realize you were always being taped? Have you followed her into the bathroom stall while she pees (I assume cameras are not rolling in there) and observed a major change in her behavior during this time period?

Edited by TVSallyS
  • Love 1

Even if you think she intentionally gave you the crappy suit

What I didn't understand about complaints about getting the crappy suit is that almost all of them were the crappy suit. Some might have been OK, although without being able to feel the fabric, I'm not prepared to say they were good choices.

I think the fact that some people were openly and sincerely pleased, a few were upset, and the majority seemed to shrug and say "Ok, let's make it work" tells me as much about their personalities as their design abilities.

IMHO, Hernan had far from the 'worst' suit, but he couldn't get out of his own way. And I loved that Sandhya chose one of the seemingly worst for herself deliberately, because she responded to those bright colors in a positive way - they actually worked for her aesthetic. Whether each of us likes that aesthetic or not, I thought it was an interesting window. I also think she was pretty sincere about trying to pick out suits that would work well for each designer. Sometimes she was right, sometimes she was wrong, but I think she meant well.

• Love 1

I think the fact that some people were openly and sincerely pleased, a few were upset, and the majority seemed to shrug and say "Ok, let's make it work" tells me as much about their personalities as their design abilities.

IMHO, Hernan had far from the 'worst' suit, but he couldn't get out of his own way. And I loved that Sandhya chose one of the seemingly worst for herself deliberately, because she responded to those bright colors in a positive way - they actually worked for her aesthetic. Whether each of us likes that aesthetic or not, I thought it was an interesting window. I also think she was pretty sincere about trying to pick out suits that would work well for each designer. Sometimes she was right, sometimes she was wrong, but I think she meant well.

Personally, I think the worst suits went to Mitchell and Sean.  And if I had to pick an absolute worst, it would have had to have been Sean's.  The corduroy was an awful brown, and other than using the lining I can't even imagine a way to use the material in a way that would have been fun or interesting.

• Love 1

I think Sean could have bought some fabric for a dress and used the corduroy on the collar, a band of trim around the sleeves, pockets, and maybe as a band at the hem.  As long as the bands were bigger than just trim, and his dress fabric was wool, it could have worked.  Or, he could have made a "denim" jacket out of the corduroy - that can be cute.

I think Sean could have bought some fabric for a dress and used the corduroy on the collar, a band of trim around the sleeves, pockets, and maybe as a band at the hem.  As long as the bands were bigger than just trim, and his dress fabric was wool, it could have worked.  Or, he could have made a "denim" jacket out of the corduroy - that can be cute.

You are much more creative than me!  There is a reason I only watch the show, and buy my clothes from those with much more creativity than me.  :)