Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E16: Disney Night

• Start Topic

(edited)

515 (Disney Night)

May 1, 2022

Contestants perform beloved Disney tunes in hopes of securing America's vote.

I was mocking the Disney Night idea, but the opening with "We Don't Talk about Bruno" from Encanto was really good.  I watched it 2, 3 times already.

Jay performed well - both times.  Both in the Encanto song and for his solo performance from Coco.  Good for him!

Emyrson, normally I like her, but boy, she sounded so weak tonight.  This wasn't the right song for her and there was too much going on with the music or something, I could barely hear her.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5

Have  the contestants that sing ‘ when she loved me’ ever watched the movie? One of three saddest, most depressing songs ever.  This is the second contestant I’ve seen  that has smiled through that song. 

nice that Luke remembered Naomi Judd.

• Love 7
(edited)

Oh boy!  Emyrson and Mike going home.  Such a shame.  I'm shocked about Emyrson; I thought she had a chance to win.  I'm not good at predicting these.  She needs to go out and get a record deal like Kenedi (? sp? Name?) LOL

Lady K also.  She performed well tonight, but I just never warmed up to her.  I think she might sound too close to originals when she sings.  Maybe people were wondering Who are you?  What kind of music would you release?

Maybe Mike was a victim of Luke's politics, but maybe he wouldn't have gone as far without that hook - who knows?  He is very very cute though and I'd like to see him in some capacity, somewhere.

Is Derek Hough a singer?  He seems like a very nice person but somebody said he is a dancer?

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6
(edited)

Lady K seemed sad/depressed tonight. I wonder if she knew she was going home. She did look the best she ever has. Whoever styled her tonight did a great job. 

I know Hunter is supposed to be really good, but her voice does not appeal to me, at all. 

Nicolina was my favorite tonight. 

Edited by DietCokeJunkie
  • Love 11

Somebody's bound to get upset about me saying this but they should have provided Lady K with Invisalign at the start of the run.  She could take it off for the performances.  I'm saying this as someone who is going through the procedure right now.  At least she could leave the competition with that.

I've been watching "Girlfriends" on Netflix and there was a season where they gave all of the women Invisalign - I can see it when they talk.  

2 minutes ago, DietCokeJunkie said:

I know Hunter is supposed to be really good, but her voice does not appeal to me, at all. 

And why not just name herself "Hunter" -- how can I take somebody seriously with the name Huntergirl?

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, DietCokeJunkie said:

Nicolina was my favorite tonight. 

I can see that she's very talented obviously but when she said something like "I'm trying to toe the line between pop and theatrical" -- well, it was extremely theatrical!  Not a bad thing I guess, people enjoyed it, but it really did feel like a Broadway show!

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I can see that she's very talented obviously but when she said something like "I'm trying to toe the line between pop and theatrical" -- well, it was extremely theatrical!  Not a bad thing I guess, people enjoyed it, but it really did feel like a Broadway show!

It was very theatrical. Maybe that’s why I liked it, lol. 
And I totally agree with you about Hunter’s name. I refuse to use the silly moniker she’s choosing to go by. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
36 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Is Derek Hough a singer?  He seems like a very nice person but somebody said he is a dancer?

Yeah, he used to be one of the pros on "Dancing with the Stars". My sister said he has done some singing, too, apparently, but that's not what people know him for, so it was very odd to see him on here giving advice. 

I'm sad to see Lady K and Mike go :(. I really liked them. I liked Katy comparing Lady K to Vanessa Williams - I could totally hear that, and I think she'd fit in perfectly in that style of music. I agree she looked fantastic tonight, too, very gorgeous with the blue dress and all. 

30 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

A lot of the performances felt very theatrical tonight - I think some of these contestants should try looking towards Broadway once their time on this show ends, they could have a pretty decent career there. It was neat to hear Nicolina do one of the villain songs - so often on Disney night people pick the lighter, sweeter, romantic songs, so it was fun to see someone going the other route. And my mom and I got a really good laugh out of the shots of Katy, dressed as Ariel*, watching Nicolina's performance XD. That was perfect.

*Seriously, though, Katy, you could've just worn a floor-length skirt the same color as those fins and called it good, instead of having to sit around in those super uncomfortable-looking fins and falling over in your chair and all. 

1 hour ago, Diana Berry said:

Have  the contestants that sing ‘ when she loved me’ ever watched the movie? One of three saddest, most depressing songs ever.  This is the second contestant I’ve seen  that has smiled through that song. 

Right? I honestly don't know how any contestant can get through that song without crying, I can't even listen to the song without wiping away tears. 

Honestly, though, I do think everyone sounded pretty good overall tonight. There were no real clunkers. 

In other topics, Noah's little boy is super cute :). 

• Love 8
(edited)
18 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Yeah, he used to be one of the pros on "Dancing with the Stars". My sister said he has done some singing, too, apparently, but that's not what people know him for, so it was very odd to see him on here giving advice. 

I'm sad to see Lady K and Mike go :(. I really liked them. I liked Katy comparing Lady K to Vanessa Williams - I could totally hear that, and I think she'd fit in perfectly in that style of music. I agree she looked fantastic tonight, too, very gorgeous with the blue dress and all. 

A lot of the performances felt very theatrical tonight - I think some of these contestants should try looking towards Broadway once their time on this show ends, they could have a pretty decent career there. It was neat to hear Nicolina do one of the villain songs - so often on Disney night people pick the lighter, sweeter, romantic songs, so it was fun to see someone going the other route. And my mom and I got a really good laugh out of the shots of Katy, dressed as Ariel*, watching Nicolina's performance XD. That was perfect.

*Seriously, though, Katy, you could've just worn a floor-length skirt the same color as those fins and called it good, instead of having to sit around in those super uncomfortable-looking fins and falling over in your chair and all. 

Right? I honestly don't know how any contestant can get through that song without crying, I can't even listen to the song without wiping away tears. 

Honestly, though, I do think everyone sounded pretty good overall tonight. There were no real clunkers. 

In other topics, Noah's little boy is super cute :). 

i know a puddle of tears except when someone smiles all the way through it lol.

Yes he is a little cutie.  I hope the show is putting them up for a few days.  His first birthday in 4 days .  He needs to be with them.

Edited by Diana Berry
  • Love 3

IMO, a good portion of "When She Loved Me" is about happy memories, hence the smile. The movie shows those happy memories as flashback and Jessie is smiling throughout them.

I couldn't help but think how all of America would have been in tears if Nicolina had sung that song, being that her mom left the family. Too deep and sensitive for American Idol, I suppose.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

And I was just thinking "Anyone but Christian..."

I seriously do not give a crap about any of their families. I also hate the Disney version of The Little Mermaid. You want a story with a happy ending, pick one that was written that way to begin with.

I think people miss how technically demanding How Far I'll Go really is because Auliʻi Cravalho performs it so effortlessly. It was beyond Lady K and it showed. Leah may have been smiling inappropriately but she sounded great. Noah, eh was it good, or good karaoke? I thought Nicolina was just okay but she and Hunter could get up there and cough a melody and still go through.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

I wish they would have had a few really old songs like When You Wish Upon a Star or Baby Mine.  They've been done in previous years and a song like that can really show off one's voice. 

Songs from Lion King and Toy Story are kind of old but still in the last 2-3 decades.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 5

I also wondered about Lady K last night.  She always seems a bit down but more so last night and her crying too.  She suits longer hair and looked beautiful.  I agree I would fill that gap in the teeth!  

Disney songs are theatrical for the most part!  Nicolina made a bold choice to pick a villain song and definitely carried off the feeling of the song.  

Noah didn’t have many lyrics to learn now did he??!!  Lol  He doesn’t have the range of the other singers and is mostly one note for me.  He was smiling more though.  

Fell asleep during Fritz.  Nice voice but boring.

If anyone belongs on Broadway it is Leah with her theatrics and voice.  Her dress style seems to be Harpo Marx!

Wondered the same thing about why the hell was Derek Hough a mentor for singing??  He focused on stage presence though.  

Katie, Katie, Katie!  Must you always be the center of attention??  The fin, falling, having to be wheeled out exhausting Luke and Lionel and Ryan had to rush over to help??  Is this why she gets paid 25 million?!  Complete waste of time.  I will bet she hurt something when she fell off the chair..

Hunter is a natural on stage and has a good voice.  Surprised Luke isn’t pushing for her more.

Sick of Lionel being everyone’s cheerleader.  “You are a star”   But he is not much different from Katy or Luke I guess.

Love Jay!  And love those colourful suits he has been wearing.  He has an amazing voice and expresses so much feeling with each song.  

Rooting for Jay and Nicolina.  

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Sick of Lionel being everyone’s cheerleader.  “You are a star”  

I got a kick out of how often he kept talking about people "standing in their light" and things of that sort. I watch a lot of true crime shows, so every time he kept saying things like that, all I kept thinking was, "Please don't tell them they light up a room, otherwise we'll see them on 'Dateline' in the near future...". 

• LOL 8

I thought finally time would run out for Lady K & Mike but I wasn't sure about the 3rd elimination. I thought maybe we'd get something of a surprise instead of Emeryson (who probably picked a poor Disney song had she known she was really on the chopping block last night). Selfishly, I wanted Nicolina or Christian to go. I've been meh to not a fan on both of them all season but last night I couldn't take either of them. Especially Nicolina. That wasn't so much theatrical as really bad (adult on a kid's Nickelodeon show) acting. Again, Christian on paper should've sounded pretty good on that song, but he didn't. It just sounds so forced and borderline desperate.

Speaking of desperate, Jay is like a guy/girl who's the headliner on a mid-tier cruise ship trying to get the attention of the big bosses to move up to being a headliner on a top-tier cruise ship.

Fritz & Leah continue to hold it down for the left of center folks, Huntergirl sounded probably as good vocally as she's sounded in almost a month (unfortunately, I cannot stand that song from Tangled. Eww.), Noah keeps doing Noah things (probably Noah-ing his way all the way to the finale)..

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I have always had a strong dislike for Derek Hough.  Why did he have to be on a singing show?  I suppose he is buddies with Ryan because of Julianne.  

I was hoping Christian would go home.  I just don't care for him.  I always dread Disney night.  I was not that impressed.  Overall not a good night for me.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Somebody's bound to get upset about me saying this but they should have provided Lady K with Invisalign at the start of the run.  She could take it off for the performances.  I'm saying this as someone who is going through the procedure right now.  At least she could leave the competition with that.

I actually bet they offered it to her. Perhaps she just didn't want it. Not everyone is interested in having perfect teeth.

I thought last night was great. I think everyone is so talented and I like them all. I didn't want to see anyone go! 

But honestly my favorite part of the night was probably Katy falling. Ryan being so genuinely concerned, Lionel trying to help her, and there's Luke, pointing and laughing. I watched it several times lol.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I mean, I suppose I can't really say much about adding "Girl" to the end of one's name (see left), but I also think it's different as a forum screen name rather than a stage name! And I also tend to call one of my guinea pigs "LexieGirl" ("AmeliaGirl" doesn't roll off the tongue as well!) My (one-syllable) real name would sound really silly with "Girl" added to the end.

Nicolina's performance was good, but really felt like Broadway to me, with all the theatrics. I'm not particularly a Disney fan and don't know the more recent movies, so maybe it helped that I knew that song?

I'm sort of puzzled by who is left, aside from WGWGs Noah and Fritz. I suppose Leah is a WhiteGIRLWithGuitar. It just feels like half are more theatrical (Nicolina, Christian, sort of Jay, maybe Leah a bit?) and the others seem more pop or country radio ready? My preferred genre is indie/alternative, so I'm not particularly in touch with what sells in the other genres (Fritz fits a bit in there, I suppose, and possibly Leah?). I figured Emyrson would go further just with the popularity of Billie Eilish and Olivia Rodrigo.

I'll stop rambling now.... Oh, except to say that I am sort of rooting for Jay because he's from my state, plus seems like a really nice guy.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, MarylandGirl said:

I figured Emyrson would go further just with the popularity of Billie Eilish and Olivia Rodrigo.

Same!  Well, she's so young, she can do many things with her life.  She is already so talented and beautiful too.

• Love 5

I don't like Disney songs in general so this is surely not my week, but it's always interesting to read others' comments here because I'm often on a totally different page, lol.

I thought Hunter(girl) sounded and looked good this week, but I was back to disliking Jay.  I think with the right song he's really talented but the right song seems to elude him more often than not.  Christian cracks me up and he seems like such a nice mama's boy, but someone needs to teach him a little about restraint.  He has a crazy good voice but that doesn't mean you always have to go nuts vocally just because you can.  I thought his performance for Michael Buble was a little cringeworthy because it was so over-the-top but maybe it's just me.

The last few seasons have been so heavy on the auditions and then the actual competition shows FLY BY.  I'm not sure how I feel about multi-elimination every week.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, LakeGal said:

I have always had a strong dislike for Derek Hough.  Why did he have to be on a singing show?

You know he was a last-minute replacement for singer Ben Platt, right? Derek didn't add much to the show, but Hunter's fangirling over him was kind of cute.

Still think Noah's a lock, and showing him belly-kissing his cute baby probably made up for a meh performance. I'm guessing Christian and Jay will be the next ones eliminated. 

I thought this was a very entertaining show; loved the group song, there were several really good performances, and nobody really embarrassed themselves (except Katie 🙄). 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, ruffy666 said:

I don't like Disney songs in general so this is surely not my week, but it's always interesting to read others' comments here because I'm often on a totally different page, lol.

I thought Hunter(girl) sounded and looked good this week, but I was back to disliking Jay.  I think with the right song he's really talented but the right song seems to elude him more often than not.  Christian cracks me up and he seems like such a nice mama's boy, but someone needs to teach him a little about restraint.  He has a crazy good voice but that doesn't mean you always have to go nuts vocally just because you can.  I thought his performance for Michael Buble was a little cringeworthy because it was so over-the-top but maybe it's just me.

The last few seasons have been so heavy on the auditions and then the actual competition shows FLY BY.  I'm not sure how I feel about multi-elimination every week.

I know how I feel about multi-eliminations.  I hate it.  I don't know how they can fix it because they've already cut about 6 weeks from the length of the season.   But once they get to the top 10 there should be one elimination per week, the finale of the top 3.   I don't know how long these Monday night shows are going, but it makes me wonder why they didn't use it for the elimination reveal and give viewers more time to vote. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, sempervivum said:

You know he was a last-minute replacement for singer Ben Platt, right? Derek didn't add much to the show, but Hunter's fangirling over him was kind of cute.

Still think Noah's a lock, and showing him belly-kissing his cute baby probably made up for a meh performance. I'm guessing Christian and Jay will be the next ones eliminated. 

I thought this was a very entertaining show; loved the group song, there were several really good performances, and nobody really embarrassed themselves (except Katie 🙄). 

I was ridiculously excited to see a group performance. Return of the Pointy Pose!! Those used to be my favorite part of the show, I would much, much rather see a group performance than all the judge nonsense.

Derek as a last-minute replacement makes much more sense, I too was wondering what he had to do with singing. He is a formidable talent in the entertainment world and they semi-sold it with the stage presence advice. I do think he ruined Nicolina's performance though by telling her not to do Ursula's accent, you could hear her trying not to do it and it took away from the performance, IMO. 

This was a rough week for a lot of people, Emyrson and Lady K had particularly bad performances. Lady K hit a couple of really rough notes at the end and she knew it. Emyrson's performance suffered for Derek's advice, she came across artificial and it's like she was too worried about her stage presence and not her singing.

Katy falling on the floor was pretty funny, but lord, she is exhausting. Her need for attention is overwhelming.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, sas616 said:

I know how I feel about multi-eliminations.  I hate it.  I don't know how they can fix it because they've already cut about 6 weeks from the length of the season.   But once they get to the top 10 there should be one elimination per week, the finale of the top 3.   I don't know how long these Monday night shows are going, but it makes me wonder why they didn't use it for the elimination reveal and give viewers more time to vote. 

that's actually what I thought was gonna happen and I would prefer it for sure

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, ljenkins782 said:

Emyrson's performance suffered for Derek's advice, she came across artificial and it's like she was too worried about her stage presence and not her singing.

Good point.  If it ain't broke, why is Derek Hough trying to fix it?

I'm not saying Emyrson is Adele or something but who gives a shit what she's doing with her body and her hands?  Ugh!  Just stand there and do the deep voice thing that you do!  She's also used to being behind a piano and what's wrong with that????

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, sempervivum said:

You know he was a last-minute replacement for singer Ben Platt, right?

Why did Ben Platt have to be replaced last minute?

2 hours ago, sas616 said:

I don't know how long these Monday night shows are going ...

Tonight's special episode is the last Monday episode. There are 3 more eps on the 8th, 15th, and 22nd.

• Useful 2
(edited)

I think Derek Hough must have some sort of deal with ABC and/or Disney. He and his sister had a recent TV dancing special on ABC called Step Into... The Movies with Derek and Julianne Hough. Before that, iirc, he was on at least two Disney Family Singalong specials on ABC. And, of course, he was on ABC's Dancing With the Stars, first as a pro dancer and then later as a judge on that show. So he was probably easy to get if they needed a last minute guest replacement.

I think all of the remaining singers are very talented. I have no favorite. 

ETA:
Derek Hough Steps In as Disney Night Mentor for American Idol
By DANIEL TRAINOR APR 28, 2022
https://www.eonline.com/news/1328190/american-idol-taps-evan-hansen-to-mentor-contestants

E! News has learned that Hough will step in for Ben Platt as the Disney Night mentor for the May 1 episode. While Platt is no longer able to participate in the upcoming episode, he is now slated to perform on the May 22 finale. So fans of Platt can breathe a sigh of relief.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 2
(edited)

Nicolina killed it.  It’s a campy song, it would have been weird if she didn’t bring the camp. 

I’m SO over Katie making it all about herself with her little fits and theatrics.  Katie:it’s not about you, it’s about the singers.  Ugh. 

Edited by Meowwww
  • Love 7

I love The Little Mermaid, so I enjoyed Katy’s costume, especially the cute/funny hair, but I’m really over her theatrics. I honestly don’t know how Orlando can live with her. 😅

I think Nicolina should have made her performance even more theatrical. She said she was trying to find a balance, but I think she should have gone all pop (although I don’t know what that would have sounded like) or 100% theatrical. She was definitely more on the theatrical side so I think she should have just gone all in. But she still did a great job and probably had my favorite performance of the night.

It was nice hearing Huntergirl sing a non country song. I’m not usually a fan of her voice. I thought she sounded better, but still not that great. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

I’m boycotting Disney after being a huge life long fan so I wasn’t looking forward to this week…in saying that…

I think Katie is hilarious. I love people who make me laugh. I know it’s over the top but I adore when people can laugh at themselves. 

Im super sad Mike is gone. I think his voice is gorgeous and so is he, I just never loved he songs he picked. He needed to do more soulfull country. But it is what it is. I also though Emersyn would go further. Her voice is amazing. Now for the ones still on.  Over Christian and just about over Nicolina. Leah and Fritz have definitely grown on me but I love love love Noah. I’m just a huge country fan and I said it before on here, he needs to sing Lady May by Tyler Childers. His voice would be amazing on that. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Boudreaux said:

I think Katie is hilarious. I love people who make me laugh. I know it’s over the top but I adore when people can laugh at themselves. 

I just got back from Disneyland on Sunday, so this was a bit of a Deja Vu for me. And exactly why was Derek Hough there? He is a dance expert giving advice on a singing show - what??! And not one person moved around the stage, so whatever advice he gave was useless.

But regarding Katy - I feel the same. Her schtick is completely benign, and she seems nice. I like that she doesn't take herself too seriously, but I could see how she might grate on people - seems like a love her or hate her situation. But that costume was awesome - I loved her dinglehopper! Katy's expression when Nicolina was singing "Poor Unfortunate Souls" was perfect. ......speaking of.....

Nicolina continues as my #1. Yes it was theatrical, but on Disney Night, I think that's allowed. None of these songs is a current chart topper (except Bruno of course). She sounded awesome as usual.

I hated Hunter's version of "I See The Light". It's my favorite Disney song, and she just doesn't have the range Mandy Moore has, and as I hate country, hearing it countrified was not great to me. I actually think Leah would have sounded better singing this. A better song for Hunter from the Tangled soundtrack would have been "Something That I Want" by Grace Potter. It already sounds country adjacent and would have fit her vocal style more.

I think Leah restrained herself on "When She Loved Me" and it was her best performance for me, but her voice just doesn't measure up to the bittersweet angelic note that Sarah McLachlan brings to it. I think if Ellie had still been in the competition it would have been the perfect song for her.

Jay continues to ascend. He sounded almost as good as last week. Do I think he's winning this thing? Not a shot in hell.

I think I've discovered what I don't like about Fritz: Every song he sings sounds exactly the same - doesn't matter what he's singing, he Fritzifies it and it all sounds like the same song. ZZZZ......

Christian singing "Circle of Life" was about as predictable as the judges giving every contestant a standing O. Also ZZZZ.....

Not too broken up about the ones going home. A little surprised by Emyrson, but she wasn't a favorite of mine. I think based on tonight only, Lady K should have gone through and Christian should have gone.

• Love 5
On 5/1/2022 at 10:09 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I've been watching "Girlfriends" on Netflix and there was a season where they gave all of the women Invisalign - I can see it when they talk.  

And why not just name herself "Hunter" -- how can I take somebody seriously with the name Huntergirl?

Her name is Hunter. There was a boy Hunter in her school so everyone called her Hunter girl. Her grandfather liked it so it stuck.

On 5/1/2022 at 10:50 PM, Annber03 said:

I

Derek was there to give stage presence advice. As a performing dancer he's a good one to give it, but it certainly wasn't necessary.

• Useful 2
On 5/2/2022 at 6:58 AM, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Sick of Lionel being everyone’s cheerleader.  “You are a star”   But he is not much different from Katy or Luke I guess.

Love Jay!  And love those colourful suits he has been wearing.  He has an amazing voice and expresses so much feeling with each song.  

Rooting for Jay and Nicolina.  

I miss the early days when Simon and Randy would give real critiques. Paula not so much. But she was never much of a singer.

• Love 5

Derek Hough is in a band with Mark Ballas (also from Dancing with the Stars) called the Ballas Hough Band. So he does sing as well. My cousin has seen them perform at the Grove in L.A. 

I was on a flight when this episode was on and was able to get ABC live just in time to see Katie fly off her chair and the kerfuffling of Lionel and Luke happening. It was pretty amusing

• Useful 1
(edited)

It's official: I'm far too old and curmudgeonly to appreciate Disney night. The last Disney movie I saw was Beauty and the Beast, so I didn't know most of the songs they sang on Sunday. I was pleased with Nicolina's choice and thought she made it so fun. I smell a high school musical theater kid who was in her element! I haven't really enjoyed anything she's done up to this point, so maybe she should just keep camping it up. Also, oddly, this was the prettiest she has ever looked.

On an unrelated note, I confess that I pay attention to how the contestants respond to their fellow contestants' performances and feedback. Even though I don't like Leah and haven't liked Huntergirl since her audition, I give them props for being very supportive and enthusiastic when the others do well. They're probably nice people. Still don't care much for their performances though.

I wish Katie would stop taking the spotlight away from the contestants when they're performing. It's their moment. Be respectful. 

Edited by TheMediumBopper
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, retired watcher said:

I miss the early days when Simon and Randy would give real critiques.

Me too. I feel like they give much more specific advice and feedback at the initial auditions and early rounds leading up to the live shows, but once the live shows start, it's just standing ovations and tongue baths.....

1 hour ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

Derek Hough is in a band with Mark Ballas (also from Dancing with the Stars) called the Ballas Hough Band.

If I'm paying to see those two live, they better be dancing. I don't care if they sing - the only reason they can charge people for that is because they are famous for dancing!

• Love 3

Nicolina was the only one who did any good, imo, both in taking a risk with the song choice as well as entertaining / standing out vocally. I like how confident she is and that she enjoys being on stage, that's pretty rare for big voice types on Idol. She and Derek Hough were the best things about this episode other than Katy having to be wheeled out and then falling, lol. HunterGirl's performance was terrible (hers and Jay's were the worst, imo), but I was right there with her when she was acting googooeyed over him, lol.

I was hoping to like Fritz because of the song choice, but it didn't work for me. I felt like everybody besides him and Nicolina were incredibly predictable with their song choices though. I did feel a little sorry for Lady K, although she was never going to go far. I thought she sounded very pretty actually--and I think her going so soon was not according to plan for the show, considering they gave her an opening slot--but I wasn't surprised because she missed so many words in the song. I actually liked the way she ended it (the arrangement, I mean), only she went and fumbled the very last note.

On 5/2/2022 at 8:32 AM, MarylandGirl said:

I'm sort of puzzled by who is left, aside from WGWGs Noah and Fritz. I suppose Leah is a WhiteGIRLWithGuitar. It just feels like half are more theatrical (Nicolina, Christian, sort of Jay, maybe Leah a bit?) and the others seem more pop or country radio ready? My preferred genre is indie/alternative, so I'm not particularly in touch with what sells in the other genres (Fritz fits a bit in there, I suppose, and possibly Leah?). I figured Emyrson would go further just with the popularity of Billie Eilish and Olivia Rodrigo.

Idol rarely aligns with what's popular these days thanks to their diminished viewing audience. Sounding current is more likely to get someone eliminated on this show these days than help them.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1