Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Summon the Suit

• Start Topic

This episode had a little action in it. I don't know why Layla would put herself in the middle of danger and then expect Marc to get her out of it. It would seem less risky for Layla to wait until Marc rescued himself. Layla barely escaped alive, lost the Scarab, and has put a target on her own back.

There are QC Codes in each episode that you can scan to get prizes (Possibly Moon Knight comic books). There was one at a door in the Museum in Episode 1 and one by the door of the Storage Locker in Episode 2.

• Useful 6
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

I don't know why Layla would put herself in the middle of danger and then expect Marc to get her out of it. It would seem less risky for Layla to wait until Marc rescued himself. Layla barely escaped alive, lost the Scarab, and has put a target on her own back.

Agreed. Her actions made no sense to me to me. 

I wonder what other clothes the suit can look like. Gym suit? Swimsuit? Suit of armor?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

There are QC Codes in each episode that you can scan to get prizes (Possibly Moon Knight comic books). There was one at a door in the Museum in Episode 1 and one by the door of the Storage Locker in Episode 2.

I didn't notice in ep 1, but yeah, this one's was for a Moon Knight digital comic.

I want to see it from Steven's POV, but honestly I think given the extreme circumstances he found himself in up to and including a supernatural jackal-demon, that he was being very unreasonable not to give Marc the body.

I like the idea that Harrow was Khonshu's avatar before Marc, and that Layla might be the next one. And that being Khonshu's avatar is a sucky job with a tyrannical boss.

• Love 8
(edited)

In my head canon, Layla is from New Jersey and has a brother named Ramy who's very conflicted about moral and religion 😁  (by the way, if you haven't, you should absolutely watch the series Ramy, everyone in it is stellar, including May Calamawy).

Nice episode, I really like how they balance the two personas, they are very different but quite complementary and I cannot help rooting for Steven!

Edited by Tuggy
  • LOL 2
(edited)

I love Steven. He's a bit bumbling but he's got great lines and a strong moral core, and you can see how Marc built Steven to be everything he wants to fix in himself: liking his wife's favorite poet, so adverse to killing that he's a vegan, completely flying under the radar. I also liked that the episode explored a bit more what it's like to not be the dominant personality in control.

Was that sand at the foot of Steven's bed when he woke up and tried to run?

ETA: it is sand, I went back and double checked. It looks like a crescent moon shape. Wonder what that's all about.

Edited by Kate47
Rewatched!
  • Love 11
(edited)

I love this show so far. Very different from previous MCU properties but still very Marvel.

The first episode had lots of symbolism that I didn't catch until I watched a ScreenCrush review. This episode did not go for subtlety with Steven (with a v!) losing his job and handing in his nametag.

I liked the sit-down with the villain and how quickly it escalated from lentil soup to murdering children.

That absolute banger of a song that the episode closes with is called "El Malouk" by Ahmed Saad. It's on Spotify so it should be on other music platforms as well.

Edited by dwmarch
ScreenCrush not ScreenRant
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Kate47 said:

ETA: it is sand, I went back and double checked. It looks like a crescent moon shape. Wonder what that's all about

I think Steven scatters it around the bed to see if he "sleepwalks" despite the restraints.

• Like 1
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

This episode had a little action in it. I don't know why Layla would put herself in the middle of danger and then expect Marc to get her out of it. It would seem less risky for Layla to wait until Marc rescued himself. Layla barely escaped alive, lost the Scarab, and has put a target on her own back.

Layla has a lot of faith in Marc's abilities, and I think she's used to him getting them out of worse jams. Any other time she would have been right. Normally, Marc is at least on par with Captain America in terms of ability, and has a magic suit that can take a serious beating.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I don't know why Layla would put herself in the middle of danger and then expect Marc to get her out of it. It would seem less risky for Layla to wait until Marc rescued himself. Layla barely escaped alive, lost the Scarab, and has put a target on her own back.

A. Layla apparently still loves Marc despite him demanding a divorce and ghosting her. People in love do irrational things to save the people they love. Even heading to a warehouse full of goons.

B. Layla knows about the suit and the abilities Marc has while wearing it. It seems fairly clear that if Marc was fully in control, getting out of the situation they were in would have been pretty easy. So not an unreasonable expectation.

C. Although she didn't fully understand what was going on with Marc/Steven, she knew Marc wasn't fully himself and probably needed some help

D, It remains to be seen but it's a fairly safe presumption that Layla has gotten into scrapes before. That is likely why Khonshu was hinting that he may use her as his next avatar if Marc isn't up to snuff.

E. Everything was seemingly under control until Harrow summoned demon jackal. something she probably couldn't have predicted.

F. Considering how easily she handled the one goon, I would say that Layla wasn't just expecting "Marc to get her out of it."

A more relevant question is: why in the world would she bring the scarab to the bad guys' lair and reveal it to the bad guys. I'm pretty good at fanwanking, but I can't think of a good reason that doesn't involve "because the plot needs her to."

• Love 14
(edited)
47 minutes ago, steelyis said:

Layla has a lot of faith in Marc's abilities, and I think she's used to him getting them out of worse jams. Any other time she would have been right. Normally, Marc is at least on par with Captain America in terms of ability, and has a magic suit that can take a serious beating.

I can't understand Layla's motivations, I could understand on the phone call, maybe it wasn't Marc, somebody was tracing the call, or somebody listening in. When she gets to the apartment, she came there for a divorce, then she wants and gets the Scarab, then after that I have nothing. Did getting the Scarab completely change the way she feels about Marc and wanting to be around him? 

Also Marc knew he was married, why is he asking out Rando Museum Babes? At least he could ask out the patrons and not the people that work there (that tends to get complicated).

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

A more relevant question is: why in the world would she bring the scarab to the bad guys' lair and reveal it to the bad guys. I'm pretty good at fanwanking, but I can't think of a good reason that doesn't involve "because the plot needs her to."

To distract the bad guys from Steven with the thing they really wanted with the expectation that she could get through to Steven to get him to summon the suit and smoke the lot of them if it came to that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Also Marc knew he was married, why is he asking out Rando Museum Babes?

Speculation from ScreenCrush:

Spoiler

Steven looks into a three-way mirror but the shot is angled to only show two of the mirrors. There is a brief reflection of the third mirror, suggesting there is a third personality in there that hasn't come out yet and that one is doing stuff that neither Mark nor Steven know about yet.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, johntfs said:

To distract the bad guys from Steven with the thing they really wanted with the expectation that she could get through to Steven to get him to summon the suit and smoke the lot of them if it came to that.

It is not necessary to bring the thing itself to distract the bad guys or to get through to Steven.

Saying "I know where the scarab is and I'll take you there" or any number of lies would do just as well.

It seems that the scarab has obvious this-will-be-really-bad-if-it-gets-in-the-wrong-hands implications, so anything that would risk putting it in the wrong hands is something to be avoided.

1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

I can't understand Layla's motivations, I could understand on the phone call, maybe it wasn't Marc, somebody was tracing the call, or somebody listening in. When she gets to the apartment, she came there for a divorce, then she wants and gets the Scarab, then after that I have nothing. Did getting the Scarab completely change the way she feels about Marc and wanting to be around him? 

Also Marc knew he was married, why is he asking out Rando Museum Babes? At least he could ask out the patrons and not the people that work there (that tends to get complicated).

The subtext of her showing up with the divorce papers was "I absolutely don't want to do this but if this is what you really want, I can't stop you."

She still loves him. 

The subtext to his sending the divorce papers and not returning her text is Marc still loves her and is pushing her away to try to keep her safe.

Two possibilities as to why the Rando Museum Babe was asked out:

1. Marc is (despite my read of the subtext) willing to move on and is OK with dating around as he is separated.

2. It was not Marc but yet another alter who asked Rando Museum Babe out. 

My vote is the second, as Marc seems to be at this point a pretty linear personality (do the bidding of Khonshu to free himself of his obligation and keep Layla safe). He doesn't seem like he would surface to flirt.

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

It's interesting to see the the jackal isn't visible to anyone else.  When the HR guy talked to Steven in his office, I thought he was keeping his job since he gave a pamphlet about mental health providers.  I thought he was just put on leave.

When the god appeared in the storage facility, he looked pretty terrifying!  I would have been screaming my head off.

The bad guy showed his true beliefs pretty quickly.  I thought he would spend more time trying to get Steven on his side.  The Colonel Sanders suit was hilarious.

I really liked the end credits song.

• Love 9

Hey, Steven has the ability to conjure up his own Moon Knight suit!  As in a legit, tuxedo complete with the same color and mask.  Still counts!  I'm sure this isn't the last we will see of that spiffy little outfit!

So, the mysterious Layla from last week is Marc's soon to be ex wife (although I will be surprised if those papers ever get signed), who seems to be a pretty impressive fighter as well and seems to at least have a general knowledge of the scab and what Marc was initially up to.  But it sounds like she had no idea about this whole personality split with Marc and Steven, and wasn't sure how to handle all of that, understandably.  The actress did a really good job and I liked how the character played off Steven: both when she initially thought he was just Marc doing a cover story and then when she realized what was really going on.

Marc definitely has his demons, but it really does sound like Khonshu's the boss from hell.  Dude makes you a vessel to dish out whatever form of justice he believes in and then acts like he pretty much owns you for life.  Well, until he decides that your wife will be the next one.  Those ancient gods really can be dicks at times.

Arthur Harrow being a former vessel of Khonshu's was an interesting twist and explains some of his reasons over wanting to bring back Ammit.  But like with most villains in the MCU, whatever legit reasons he has seem to fall by the wayside with his methods and endgame.  Because dooming people for something they might do in the future or even because they briefly had a violent thought at one point is some creepy, Minority Report-level shit I'm not ready to see happen!

The fight sequence with the invisible jackal was great.

Oscar Isaac is doing great work all around, but I really like how he is playing Steven's awkwardness and meekness, but also showing how brave and noble he is, like with the way he was calling out Arthur and his ideals.  Even without the suit and Marc, you can already see the makings of a hero here for Steven.  

Looks like Moon Knight is leaving the streets of London for somewhere in Egypt now!  Complete with a rocking song!

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

1. Marc is (despite my read of the subtext) willing to move on and is OK with dating around as he is separated.

My vote is the second, as Marc seems to be at this point a pretty linear personality (do the bidding of Khonshu to free himself of his obligation and keep Layla safe). He doesn't seem like he would surface to flirt.

Another possibility might be that Marc knows Steven liked Museum Babe but was too shy/awkward to ask her, so he fronted long enough to flirt and ask her out on Steven's behalf (as a way to make up for what he's been putting Steven through?)

This makes me realize, I don't know why or why it might come about, but I hope that at some point we get a scene of Marc and/or Steven pretending to be the other one. Steven trying to act like Marc would obviously be fun, but I think there'd be good potential in Marc trying to pass himself off as Steven too.

Layla didn't fully get what's going on with Marc and Steven--she still doesn't--but I'm glad that, by the end, she clearly knows SOMETHING'S up with Marc, something beyond him just ghosting her/pushing her away. As they're inevitably thrown back together throughout this adventure, I hope there's time for Marc and/or Steven to really explain things to her and she's able to understand what they're going through. Also, Steven was so cute shyly connecting with Layla when she was at his flat. Once this is all over, hopefully Marc and Layla can reconcile and Layla can be with both of them!

I know last week, some people were speculating that Steven only emerged as an alter in recent months, after whatever inciting incident happened in Egypt that led to Khonshu entering Marc's head. But here we get confirmation that Steven was already present, and Marc was aware of their DID, prior to becoming Khonshu's avatar, since he'd assured Khonshu that Steven wouldn't get in the way. And yet, Layla didn't know anything about Steven at all. I wonder if Steven's been dormant for a long time or if Marc used to be better at taking back control of the body whenever Steven fronted, but whatever happened in Egypt caused Steven to come out front for much longer periods of time.

Kudos to Disney Plus and their ongoing ability to cast actors who can be expressive without us seeing their face--first Pedro Pascal as Mando, and now Oscar Isaac as Marc/Steven in their suits. When Steven conjured that three-piece suit with the mask, there's a moment where Marc is looking out at him from the reflection and his body language is 100% "this f**king guy, smdh." Love it!

• Love 8

So the suit can be anything? I want to see swimsuit next. Lol

It seems like Marc's had had the Steven alter for awhile. Before becoming an avatar. I'm thinking after he got summoned to be the avatar he was Marc for long enough to have adventures and marry Layla. Then all killing he was doing brought Steven back out, the innocent vegan that wouldn't hurt a fly. Steven is the protector. Protecting Marc from living with everything he's done. 

I also think a third alter asked out the co worker, Scotty maybe? 

The mom still being alive is interesting, I wonder if she is anyone special. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, angora said:

Another possibility might be that Marc knows Steven liked Museum Babe but was too shy/awkward to ask her, so he fronted long enough to flirt and ask her out on Steven's behalf (as a way to make up for what he's been putting Steven through?)

This makes me realize, I don't know why or why it might come about, but I hope that at some point we get a scene of Marc and/or Steven pretending to be the other one. Steven trying to act like Marc would obviously be fun, but I think there'd be good potential in Marc trying to pass himself off as Steven too.

Certainly a possibility, but I'm more than a little doubtful. I think Marc isn't a sentimental type and doesn't particularly like Steven. So giving him a hookup with RMB is probably not his move. Plus he didn't do anything to put Steven into a position to realize they'd asked RMB out. 

“I don’t care how bloody handsome you are!” LOL.

The Mr. Knight bit was priceless. Kind of like a G-rated Deadpool.

I think Steven/Marc has the most messed up superhero life in the MCU, and that’s saying A LOT. I am loving F. Murray Abraham as Khonshu.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
7 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

It is not necessary to bring the thing itself to distract the bad guys or to get through to Steven.

Saying "I know where the scarab is and I'll take you there" or any number of lies would do just as well.

It seems that the scarab has obvious this-will-be-really-bad-if-it-gets-in-the-wrong-hands implications, so anything that would risk putting it in the wrong hands is something to be avoided.

The subtext of her showing up with the divorce papers was "I absolutely don't want to do this but if this is what you really want, I can't stop you."

She still loves him. 

The subtext to his sending the divorce papers and not returning her text is Marc still loves her and is pushing her away to try to keep her safe.

Maybe not necessary but "Hey!  I got your thingie!" while holding up said thingie is probably a better immediate distraction than "Hey, I might possibly perhaps know where your thingie is.  Or not."

Marc probably didn't ask out the museum girl because Marc clearly has a very different accent than Steven. 

It would be funny if Layla dumped Marc in favor of Steven.  Hey, MCU, can we get some cloning chambers up in this bitch?

Meanwhile since Marc/Steven is in Egypt and they don't have the Scarab, figure Steven/Mr. Knight will be coming out a lot more because Steven will likely be the one to have to figure out where Ammit's tomb is.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Two possibilities as to why the Rando Museum Babe was asked 

Not only that:  wouldn’t she have noticed Marc’s American accent?

11 hours ago, dwmarch said:

That absolute banger of a song that the episode closes with is called "El Malouk" by Ahmed Saad. It's on Spotify so it should be on other music platforms as well.

I believe the young people say that it “slaps”(?).

Myself immediately searched it on Shazam and have already listened to it three times. Since this second “Moon Knight” episode it has gone seriously viral in a matter of hours…

• Love 7
2 hours ago, johntfs said:

Maybe not necessary but "Hey!  I got your thingie!" while holding up said thingie is probably a better immediate distraction than "Hey, I might possibly perhaps know where your thingie is.  Or not."

Marc probably didn't ask out the museum girl because Marc clearly has a very different accent than Steven. 

It's also more susceptible to someone shooting her or grabbing it before Marc can suit up. So it comes back to the risk for me again. If you are looking to cause a few minutes' distraction so that Marc can suit up, there are lots of things you can do that would be in the same ballpark of effectiveness, but wouldn't have the risk of bad guys getting the scarab, cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria.

Marc/Other Alter could have faked the Steven accent if he wanted to most likely. Or RMB wasn't particularly observant because she was so taken in by Marc/Other Alter's charm.

I didn't love this episode.  I didn't hate it either.  The pacing just wasn't as good as the first.  People very incorrectly banged on about "nothing happening" in episode 1, when in fact a ton happened.  But with this episode it would be a bit more accurate.  Not a lot actually happened.  Their McGuffin changed hands.  His girl showed up.  That's about it. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I continue to really like this show, its very much an MCU property but its really got a unique vibe. The combination of supernatural and psychological horror is really working for me. The cinematography was really on point in this one, I loved watching Moon Knight running through London fighting the jackal with the crescent moon shining on him, it looked really cool. I also continue to really love all the shots of reflections, both symbolically and with Marc and Steven vying for control of their shared body, it gives the show a very district look. 

We get to meet Layla, Marc's estranged wife (who is clearly not into this divorce) who's quite the badass herself and seems to know a lot about what Marc is up to, although she seemed to think that he was just really committing to the Steven persona until the very end where she realized that this is really a different guy. I am guessing that she showed up with the Scarab as a hail mary to get Steven/Marc out of the cult neighborhood until Marc could take control again. It seems like this isn't the first time she and Marc have gotten into a situation like this, she probably just needed Harrow distracted so that Marc could call in the costume, they could escape, and they would regroup later. At that point she didn't even really buy that Steven was a different guy than Marc and that they might really be in trouble.

Steven gets his own Moon Knight suite! Or should I call it the psycho Colonial Sanders costume? Oscar Isaac is always great, he really continues to impress me going back and forth from Marc and Steven, even his body language in the two costumes is totally different, you can tell even without his face who's currently in control. I had assumed that Steven was created when whatever in Egypt happened to Marc, but now it looks like Steven has existed for awhile, but, possibly because of what happened, he's been in control for awhile now. I can see how Marc created Steven, especially if he feels guilt about his violent life, a sweet timid guy who wont even eat meet and will let himself die before letting innocent people get hurt. 

Steven might be a nervous lovable dork without a badass bone in his body (when Marc isn't driving) but he is a quite smart, perceptive, and has a strong moral center, calling out Harrow and his cult on justifying child murder via dodgy alligator woman despite currently being surrounded by them and after seeing what Harrow is capable of. Harrow and his cult continue to be solid antagonists, I totally buy Harrow as being the kind of cult leader that could get this many people to follow him, and not just because he has actual magic. He can be really likable, charming, and can come across as so reasonable, especially after Steven has been aggressively stalled by Khonshu and is terrified of Marc, but then he can so easily switch into scary. Like many villains in the MCU, he tries to paint his evil deeds as being for some kind of greater good, but he shows his true colors pretty quickly as a cold blooded murderer, whether or not he is genuine in thinking that what he is doing is for the best, which I think he might. Harrow being Khonshu's former host is a really cool origin for him, I wonder if we will get flashbacks of him running around in the suite back in the 90s?

Khonshu is a pretty rough boss, even if Marc apparently has his demons, although I don't think he killed those archeologists. I really dig his look, its creepy and otherworldly without being stiff, and I enjoy his weird bits of humor, mostly coming from his creepy appearance mixing with his often very human seeming reactions to things, like telling Steven to crush Harrow's windpipe and getting annoyed when he is really not into that.

Now we move from London to Egypt, where all of this started, complete with an absolute banger of a song!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 11
(edited)
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Khonshu is a pretty rough boss, even if Marc apparently has his demons, although I don't think he killed those archeologists.

My guess, that was Harrow gone rogue or perhaps as Khonshu's Avatar. I like that neither Harrow nor Khonshu are legit heroes/villains. Even Marc is more Grey than anything. Stephen is probably the only "good" guy in this situation...jury still out on Leyla.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3

It's nice to see Steven fighting back a bit, summoning the suit himself and trying to take care of the jackal until it was clear he wasn't well enough equipped yet. It's a shame he's the alter, but maybe once we get to learn more about Marc I'll stop rooting for Steven to gain permanent control.

Can't really get a read on Layla yet, 

Spoiler

but since every Disney+ Marvel show so far has had a main supporting female character be a "surprise" villain, I'll probably spend the entire series waiting for a heel turn.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, dmeets said:

It's nice to see Steven fighting back a bit, summoning the suit himself and trying to take care of the jackal until it was clear he wasn't well enough equipped yet. It's a shame he's the alter, but maybe once we get to learn more about Marc I'll stop rooting for Steven to gain permanent control.

Can't really get a read on Layla yet, 

Hide contents

but since every Disney+ Marvel show so far has had a main supporting female character be a "surprise" villain, I'll probably spend the entire series waiting for a heel turn.

If that happens I will be extremely pissed off. I’m seriously hating how the MCU series treats it’s female characters (save for WandaVision).

• Love 3

The way Layla kept pointing out Marc/Steven’s accent made me notice how her own accent was wandering all over the place. I know May Calamawy is Egyptian/Palestinian, but I wondered if she was going for an American accent and not quite getting there.

On 4/6/2022 at 7:10 PM, Spartan Girl said:

I think Steven/Marc has the most messed up superhero life in the MCU, and that’s saying A LOT. I am loving F. Murray Abraham as Khonshu.

Yeah, at least Wade is aware of his voices and chooses to lean into the crazy. He makes it work for him. 

Steven still has very little idea what is actually going on and is actively working against his alter. Which doesn’t seem to be going very well for him… embrace the insanity, Steven! Then treat yourself to a chimichanga! It works for Wade!

• Love 1

I thought the episode was great, but there was a lost opportunity choosing the title — could we not have had “Where is your super suit?”?!

• LOL 4

I'm spoiler-free (and behind by an episode) but I'm wondering if the name "Steven Grant" was chosen for (what's looking more and more like) Spector's cover personality because those are Captain America's first and middle names?

11 hours ago, Sandman said:

I'm spoiler-free (and behind by an episode) but I'm wondering if the name "Steven Grant" was chosen for (what's looking more and more like) Spector's cover personality because those are Captain America's first and middle names?

Steven Grant

Spoiler

is the name of one of Marc's alters in the Moon Knight comic.  As to why the comic writers picked that name, you might be right.

As someone who is also not caught up yet, what strikes me is how similar Ammit's goal is to Thanos'. Call it a cleansing to remove the possibility of evil before it can take place or call it a balanced culling to preserve resources for the people who are left and it amounts to the same thing. Khonshu is manipulating Marc for his own purposes, and he likely manipulated Arthur as well, and now poor hapless Steven is squashed between Harrow and Spector with no exit available, but it's Ammit who is the real threat. Why else would she be buried out in the desert?

On 4/8/2022 at 12:11 AM, tkc said:

I thought the episode was great, but there was a lost opportunity choosing the title — could we not have had “Where is your super suit?”?!

Leyla: "I am the greatest good you're ever gonna get!"

Because.....she's not wrong.

• Love 1

I liked Steven trying to get to the truth by going to the storage locker.  After that, it was a bit frustrating to watch with him resisting his much more competent alter-ego, and then the villain gets the scarab.  Last episode was intriguing not knowing what was happening.  This episode explained quite a bit with the Marc being an avatar and being married, etc., and it wasn't as interesting as I thought it would be since now it seems like a basic story of trying to get the scarab back before evil Egyptian goddess is resurrected.

On 4/6/2022 at 1:43 PM, angora said:

I hope that at some point we get a scene of Marc and/or Steven pretending to be the other one. Steven trying to act like Marc would obviously be fun, but I think there'd be good potential in Marc trying to pass himself off as Steven too.

This reminds me of the show "Orphan Black" where one actress played many MANY different roles (because, clones) and I was impressed by her playing each one as having a distinctive personality, but I was blown away when she had to play one clone masquerading as another.  So, yeah, if we get a scene where Marc has to play meek Steven or (even better) Steven has to step up and play confident Marc, that will be highly entertaining.  (And you just know Oscar Issac will be able to pull it off.)

• Love 3