Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E14: Disappearing Act

• Start Topic

Jasmine makes a decision about her relationship with Gino; Memphis prepares for a tough conversation with Hamza; Usman takes matters into his own hands; Ben's confusion about Mahogany deepens; Mike and Ximena's relationship takes a turn.

First Look: 3/18/22; TLC: 3/20/22; Discovery Plus: 3/20/22

I hope that decision is a HELL NO.

I hope that tough conversation is ME GO BACK TO STATES SINGLE.

I hope he takes his SOJABOY necklace into his own hands.

I hope Ben's confusion deepens into the wrinkles on his forehead.

I hope Mike and Ximena's relationship takes a a turn down the street where we see Mike running....oh wait, we know that happens.

• LOL 9
  • Love 10

I hope that:

Mahog's parents play decoy while Mahog's packs her bags and goes to her parents car, then all three of them go back to their home and leave that jackass alone in that little beach town.

Usman tells KimBelly that he's still with Zara and her head explodes with a giant YO!

Jasmine tells Gino to go home, it's over. Good luck getting his money back on that cheap.ass ring Gino!

Ximena's ex shows up and scares Mike back to the US permanently. He runs like Pole 2.0. No bueño.

Edited by gingerella
  • LOL 8
  • Love 13
13 hours ago, monagatuna said:

I hope Mike and Ximena's relationship takes a a turn down the street where we see Mike running....oh wait, we know that happens.

I’m laughing too hard at Mike running away, between two buildings like he’s being chased by the police. He could have just kept a little bit of dignity and walked away, down the street, into a new life. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 13
5 hours ago, MagicEyes said:

I’m laughing too hard at Mike running away, between two buildings like he’s being chased by the police.

Or maybe he saw a Black Lives Matter march coming from the other end of the street.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 19
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, MagicEyes said:

I’m laughing too hard at Mike running away, between two buildings like he’s being chased by the police. He could have just kept a little bit of dignity and walked away, down the street, into a new life. 

Ximena's latest BF in the criminal trade shows up and tells Mike to am-scray, now, papi!

Mike was gonna cry and didn't want her or anyone else to see it. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

Dull preview.

First off it was Usman and Kimbaaaaly. Us-es entourage didn't like Kimbaaaaaly throwing water in his face. There was no one around to take video and put it up online and embarrass Usess. Do these folks not know how this game works? He'd get clicks, he'd get attention! He has a feisty girlfriend! More fame! More song sales! More tour dates! More gigs! Marketing genius! Too bad Kimbaaaaaly isn't the most vivacious and attractive woman. It would be gold! Yeah, it was disrespectful of her. Maybe Usess deserved some of it for not being upfront with her. Not that I really care. Call TMZ! Some no name limited talent Nigerian singer had some drama!!!

Then we get Memphis wondering about pushing the marriage down a bit. Geez, girl, you are not going to get a 5 minute pre-nup for property you don't even have. You're not like Kimbaaaaaly who probably has to insure some of her Michael Jackson collection that is worth anything. The pre-nush should have been planned a month or two before you went to Tunisia. 

And finally we get Ximena/Eczema and Mrs. Ximena aka mom. Mom sees that her darling is not thinking properly. She has a toady 'nice' guy who is willing to be a dad to her kids, take care of her, give her a decent home and a life, and sorry, the dude is a creepy owl with bug eyes that she can't stand. Ximena is not planning well for any sort of decent future. Mama, your daughter does not love the man and he probably doesn't have enough money to make her overlook his shortcomings and that he creeps her out.

• Love 13
13 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

One thing I forgot to mention is that Mother Ximena said that Mike was her first serious relationship.

IIRC, X had said something about Mike being the first guy willing to take her, kids and all. Maybe the first relationship where she had found a sucker and was "serious" about keeping the gravy train rolling? I'd kiss up to him, too, if I was Mama X and it meant him still sending the family money. Be patient with her, mijo (and keep the checks coming.) 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 8

If Memphis has a savings account in her name Hamza will not be able to access it, his name is not on the account so why is Memphis all in knots about it?  A pre nup will protect her if she has property such as a house which judging by what we saw pre trip, she rents.  If they do divorace (as she says it), she will probably have to pay Hamza some kind of spousal support so I am not sure why she needs a pre nup.  She does not even have to tell Hamza about her savings account, you think he would even know that is a thing?  

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

This has been discussed before, but I forget the answer. If they marry in Tunisia, that would mean Memphis bringing him here on a spousal visa, instead of the K-1, right? Does a spousal visa also include the sponsor's ten year financial responsibility clause? 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

On one hand, I respect the fact that Memphis is committed to getting a prenush done.  On the other hand, if it was that important why the hell did she wait until the day before the wedding to talk to the lawyer?  I got that right, didn't I?  Literally the day before?  So what's she going to do now, walk in on Hazmat's family's party and be a pooper?  Sounds about right.

• Love 11
19 hours ago, magemaud said:

This has been discussed before, but I forget the answer. If they marry in Tunisia, that would mean Memphis bringing him here on a spousal visa, instead of the K-1, right? Does a spousal visa also include the sponsor's ten year financial responsibility clause? 

Yes, even the person who gets into the U.S. on one of the visas for people who invest a certain amount in the U.S. (yes, a  rich person's visa as a friend called it), everyone needs a sponsor.   Another poster kindly told me, everyone needs a sponsor, even if they're getting in on the investor's visa.    However the 10 years (or longer in case of divorce) is only if the person needs some kind of public assistance.   

Or leaves the U.S. for more than a year, or becomes a U.S. citizen, and I think a few other situations, can nullify the sponsorship, but how many of the fiances, or spouses would voluntarily leave the U.S., after they spent all of this time getting here?   

I bet Jasmine has studied Larissa's story as an example of what getting to the U.S. can do for her career. 

I hope Memphis thought ahead, and asked an immigration attorney if the K-1 Fiance visa, or the Spouse visa would be faster.    After thinking about it, Memphis doesn't do anything sensible, so I'm guessing she didn't plan ahead, or even research the spouse vs. fiance visa.      If she postpones the wedding, then she can be on the original 90 Day show, and get another season of TLC money.  If there's enough interest in her story, then they could land a HEA season too.     It looks like the fiance, K-1 visa would be quicker, but I'm not sure.   Don't forget the backlog of embassy processing time from the pandemic too.   

(If I screwed that up, please correct me.)

I felt sorry for Hamza's family, and for the interpreters, who have to deal with Memphis. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I hope Memphis thought ahead, and asked an immigration attorney if the K-1 Fiance visa, or the Spouse visa would be faster.

I highly doubt it since she seemed to think she could get a pre-nup with two days' notice! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

So Memphis gets someone to translate when she brings up the postnup agreement?  I love the translator's aside to Hamza: "I wouldn't marry anyone who didn't trust me".  I say again, if you can't communicate without a box, you don't know enough about each other to get married!  You can't even discuss the weather, let alone important topics like finances, religion (they have never discussed this), children, etc.

Edited by AR Traveler
  • Love 16
36 minutes ago, Tuneful said:

I would call having someone's kid and having conjugal visits in a jail to have another guy's kid rather serious.

She might have got pregnant the first time from a one-night stand.

37 minutes ago, Tuneful said:

USAman is phony-baloney.

Userman.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

Full ep is out now on D+.

Creepy Ben wanted Mahogany's parents to talk her into marrying him. Wrong fucking century, dude. And "I stood you up so you'd miss me so I'd feel wanted" is textbook abuser behavior. Mahogany did the right thing by bringing the letter, helping Ben read it, then getting the hell away from him. Wasn't expecting her to completely clear out of town, though. Haven't laughed that hard at a TLC show in awhile.

Ben thinks he's an idiot: ironically, that may be the smartest thing he's said yet.

Gotta love Badmus and Slam-T getting upset at the possibility that Kimberly throwing water in Usman's face would be recorded. Thank goodness there wasn't a TLC film crew there or anything. /s

Kimberly looked waaaay better in that red blouse than in anything else she's worn. Usman still talks about their "relationship" entirely in terms of rewarding her for her "support." He sees her as an investor he occasionally fucks, not a life partner.

So Gino and Jasmine end up together: he has the spicy Latina he always wanted, and she has an American man who worships the ground she walks on. Not the healthiest relationship, but whatevs. Anyone else notice the Bassoons of Cheapness in the background when she asked him if the ring had a real diamond?

Memphis: WHAT assets? WHAT house? Your blessed prenup (or postnup) is "protecting" literally nothing. Any house you buy after the wedding will likely be considered Community Property not covered by a prenup. Good on the sister for calling out Memphis' bullshit. I see why Hamza finally knuckled under: he didn't want to let his family down. Helluva way to start a new marriage.

Mike and Ximena have become boring. He's spent the season pathetically chasing after an ice queen who can barely stand the sight of him. 

• Love 22
16 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Yes, unless the person gets into the U.S. on one of the visas for people who invest a certain amount in the U.S. (yes, a  rich person's visa as a friend called it) everyone needs a sponsor.   However the 10 years (or longer in case of divorce) is only if the person is below the poverty level, so they need some kind of public assistance.   

I hope Memphis thought ahead, and asked an immigration attorney if the K-1 Fiance visa, or the Spouse visa would be faster.    After thinking about it, Memphis doesn't do anything sensible, so I'm guessing she didn't plan ahead, or even research the spouse vs. fiance visa.      If she postpones the wedding, then she can be on the original 90 Day show, and get another season of TLC money.  If there's enough interest in her story, then they could land a HEA season too.    

(If I screwed that up, please correct me.)

I felt sorry for Hamza's family, and for the interpreters, who have to deal with Memphis. 

Even then the US spouse has to sign the affidavit of support.

I came to the US with an investment visa and and a few years later, when I first applied for a green card, my husband had to sign that he would be financially responsible for 10 years if I applied for any public assistance during the 10 year period.

Edited by Cini
  • Useful 6
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Cini said:

Even then the US spouse has to sign the affidavit of support.

I came to the US with an investment visa and and years later, when I first applied for a green card, my husband had to sign that he would be financially responsible for 10 years if I applied for any public assistance during the 10 year period.

I'll update it, thanks for the information.    

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

So Benjamin stands up the girl he loves so she would miss him?

That plan certainly seems to have backfired, she told her parents he was being "immature." 

• LOL 12
  • Love 2
On 3/18/2022 at 5:51 AM, gingerella said:

I hope that:

Mahog's parents play decoy while Mahog's packs her bags and goes to her parents car, then all three of them go back to their home and leave that jackass alone in that little beach town

Won’t lie, I was weak laughing seeing BenYamens nifty outfit right through Mahogany’s rushing through the letter drop up to reveal she was long gone… much needed 

• LOL 14
  • Love 4

So, what happened to Mahogany's car she drove to the vacation site?    OK, she apparently took the car, and left when her parents did.    Ben should have found out the best way to get to Lima to the airport, and gone home.   That outfit was hysterical.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

So, what happened to Mahogany's car she drove to the vacation site?    

You will find out tonight and I promise you will love every minute of it.  Promise.

Sojaboy "sings" tonight, get your mute ready. 

Mike and X:  dude she is really not into you.  At all.  Neighboring countries can tell.

Memphis, you let that sweet family parade you around in a carriage, dress you up and THIS is how you treat them?  Those little kids are adorable!!!

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 15
3 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Memphis, you let that sweet family parade you around in a carriage, dress you up and THIS is how you treat them?  Those little kids are adorable!!!

Why did he not listen to his sister???!!!!  I cannot believe he is going to marry the troll. She is so unlikable on SO many levels.

Edited by Kid
  • Useful 1
  • Love 17

I think I like Memphis right now more than other people do, but this show can turn on a dime and cause my allegiances to change - like with Jasmine and Gino.  I have disliked Ben all the way, through, though, and I don't think anything could happen that would change that. The preview of Ben & Mahogany made my heart sink because I really don't want to see this young woman get involved with this immature old guy. (Full disclosure: I'm older than Ben.) It's like when that young woman (was her name Jennifer?) got involved with Ed. Ick.

It was touching to me to see how much Memphis liked feeling like part of a family. Didn't the sister leave out the part where Memphis said she needed to protect her kids? That's important. 

Edited by JeanJean
  • Love 7

I get why Ben is getting blasted here and deservedly so, but Mahogany is crappy too.  In the text messages, you can see why idiot Ben thought they were having a serious "relationship".  I also think it was shitty for her to leave without even telling him.  Yes, he is very overbearing and immature for his age, but let's not forget she has lied to him about and everyone seems to be giving her a pass.

• Useful 3
  • Love 10

Any doubt I had that Kimbaally was giving Usman money, disappeared when he raced back to his ATM.

Both Memphis and Hazma looked like they were about to get executed instead of married.

Can't help but wonder why Ben didn't hitch a ride with production and the camera crew.  

Edited by Adeejay
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 7
41 minutes ago, Chellichik said:

I get why Ben is getting blasted here and deservedly so, but Mahogany is crappy too.  In the text messages, you can see why idiot Ben thought they were having a serious "relationship".  I also think it was shitty for her to leave without even telling him.  Yes, he is very overbearing and immature for his age, but let's not forget she has lied to him about and everyone seems to be giving her a pass.

Yea, but Mahogany is only 22. She does get a pass - to a point - for being flighty or whatever. That's youth. He's 52 and has apparently ignored his kids to chase much younger women. And he  thinks God is his personal match.com and brings it up every 5 minutes. He also takes up a restaurant's space without ever ordering anything which is pretty rude. 🙂

On the other hand, he's only about 13 emotionally. 😁

Edited by JeanJean
adding something
  • Useful 1
  • Love 21
30 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

Can't help but wonder why Ben didn't hitch a ride with production and the camera crew.  

Dramatic purposes.  They will probably pay the fare as well, a small price for the tv gold.

Someone should tell Ben that it looks a wee bit like cultural appropriation for a gringo to dress like Juan Valdez the coffee grower.

Usman without the autotune scared some cats.

• LOL 19
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Burning Rubber said:

Memphis was going around like a deer in the headlights. Everyone around her was friendly and inviting but she was standofish, awkward and weird.

I doubt that's uncommon for someone who grew up with trauma and neglect. We're comfortable with what we're used to.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Hamza has that deer in headlights look.  I think he's  going through with the wedding so as not to let his family down, not because he's totally into Memphis.  He's resigned to his fate.

I don't think the postnup would even be binding in the U.S. if Hamza didn't understand what he was signing or it was signed under duress.

If someone ditched me in a strange city with no transportation and where I didn't even speak the language, I wouldn't be going back to my friend's hometown.  I'd be going to the nearest airport.  That said, it was one of the greatest 90D moments when Ben got stranded.  I think she should have told him (I wouldn't have wanted a long ride with him either).  I really hope they don't end up together but next week's spoiler seems to show a romantic moment.   The hat that didn't fit right would end it for me.

Gino, nice proposal!  You two deserve one another.  We're back to the screw-ups and screaming fights next week, though.

Mama Ximena translated: "Put up with this little gnome so the money keeps coming".  Finally-finally- Mike is getting it.  That's another time I'd be heading for the airport.  Why ever would you go back to a house with someone who is disgusted with you?

If Kim's thinking Usman is going to stay faithful to her and be her "boyfriend", she is truly delusional (well, has been all this time).  She is an investor; one whom he'll bed once in a blue moon when they're in the same place.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
On 3/19/2022 at 8:13 PM, Tuneful said:

They filmed Kimbaaly packing, but she gets a text from USAman to meet him in the hotel bar right now. And suddenly she all thrilled and nervous, like she's Blanche DuBois and her gentleman caller has arrived.

Right? I half expected her to have an attack of the vapors and fall on the nearest fainting couch! So much cringe. 

• LOL 20
  • Love 2

I don't know the specifics in Memphis' state, but I did hear the lawyer say that Hamza would have to be allowed to have a lawyer of his own review a pre-nup or a post-nup with him, and be positive that he understood its terms.   They'd have to meet without Memphis being present.  And, I guess, with an interpreter unless the lawyer happened to speak his language.

Also not knowing about her state, but I expect it's pretty universal that any assets you bring into a marriage are, and remain, separate property if you keep them noted as such and don't mingle them.  Thus her "savings" would still be hers.  Any earnings of either after marriage are community property, in a community property state, but there may be ways she could fiddle that.  My bosses used to say (when I worked in a law office for a lot of years) "Remember you're not a lawyer."  So there's that.  But I'm pretty sure about the prior-to-marriage assets.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I strongly suspect Ximena’s family is as tired of her as I am. They thought they had found a nice gringo to settle her with, but now she’s back to partying and probably sketchy dudes.

Thankfully she can’t bring anymore babies home.

• Love 19