Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 3/14/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, deirdra said:

I remember thinking that in first grade (1961) when we practiced hiding under our little wooden desks; I was worried about wood splinters and shards of window glass since my desk was in the row next to the windows.  Also once we had a full-on drill where those of us who lived within a mile of school were told to walk home and the bussed kids were sent to the school basement to duck and cover (with their arms) against the basement wall.  I don't know if our parents were warned that we'd be coming home early for a drill, but the entire walk home I sure worried about getting bombed during the ~18 minute walk and if Mom was out I might end up being locked out of the house for longer or my parents might get killed and never make it home. So much for the innocence of youth.

What a horrible experience for a kid! 

I don't know why we even bothered having duck and cover drills at our school, because we lived on an Army base, so you could imagine us being targeted by something if worse came to worse. Perhaps just to keep us kids from completely freaking out. 

6 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

Perhaps just to keep us kids from completely freaking out. 

That was probably their thinking - give kids something to do to feel like they are doing something and quell their fears.  But kids aren't stupid - we were 6 and asking in class how this could possibly work.  

6 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Just read that she was fined & has been released from jail, for something else. Hopefully that will be the end of the story & she will be okay.

Where did you read this?

There doesn't seem to anything in the news about Brittney Griner released.

5 hours ago, Rightside said:
12 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Just read that she was fined & has been released from jail, for something else. Hopefully that will be the end of the story & she will be okay.

Where did you read this?

There doesn't seem to anything in the news about Brittney Griner released.

I think WinC was talking about the Russian news producer, not Brittney Griner.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Rainyhawk said:

Sunny kept avoiding saying anything about that issue but that was really the whole topic.

I don't think she avoided it so much as her argument was it makes no difference who wins on that side considering Cheney pretty much was a Trumper when you go by her voting record rather than her public statements.

10 hours ago, geekburger said:

I missed Ana today.

Yes, it would have been nice to have had her this week if Sara couldn't be there. Not only for the sake of having her there, but also because she genuinely holds the views that Farrah is merely pretending to have to get her foot in the door.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

I think WinC was talking about the Russian news producer, not Brittney Griner.

You are correct thanks. I don't really have an opinion on the other one.

3 hours ago, Haleth said:

The Russian news producer was released with a fine after being interrogated for a prerecorded statement regarding the war that she posted online.  She surprisingly has not been charged for the incident on live tv yet.  That is going to be more serious.

Probably waiting for everything to die down before quietly arresting her.

The Zelenskyy speech was heartbreaking. So hard to watch.

Sunny, if Gabe was in the military you would not be so eager to go to war. Stop sending other people’s children into harm’s way.

THANK YOU, Ana, for finally bringing up Clarence Thomas not recusing himself from cases involving his wife’s employer. This should be more widely publicized. It’s outrageous. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 24
2 hours ago, Tammy12 said:

I don't like Joy in the Sara seat. Keep her in the middle or moderating. Change the chairs not the order they sit in!  

I suppose it was a change mostly for Ana's benefit. Sort of a meh show today. It was kind of lukewarm yesterday, too. Joy looked great today though in the blue. I thought Sunny looked great yesterday in the red, too.

Schumer was a fun interview, but so was Seth Meyers yesterday. I suppose it's because of their comedic instincts, they slot into the daytime setup pretty easily.

• Love 1

Sunny has slowly taken over Sara's View Your Deal segment, they're testing Joy in Sara's chair.....Sara, you in danger, girl. 

I like Sara 😥.

We're supposed to act interested in Whoopi's stupid British accent while she introduces the Bachelor segment, but she acts bored out of her mind, sprawled on the table, as the ladies discuss it. 🙄

But, hey, we got a new Whoopism...If your legs open, there will always be a drive-in. Tactful, that Whoopi! 

• LOL 8
  • Love 4

IF they pick Alyssa , and I hope they don't, she would be more tolerable if Ana was there instead of Sara.

I wonder if that is why they had to Joy sit next to Whoopi to "try things out". But Ana wouldn't move to NY.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, Cozytea said:

I love that Ana calls Henry Louis Gates, Skip. I know that's his nickname but it just made me laugh. They must be friends. 

The other day Ana said my friend Paul Ryan.  She has quite a wide range of friends.

24 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Schumer was a fun interview

I do not like Amy Schumer.  I feel like I should but I do not.  I just don't think she is a talented as her career suggests. 

6 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

I like Sara 😥.

I do too.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, bluegirl147 said:

I do not like Amy Schumer.  I feel like I should but I do not.  I just don't think she is a talented as her career suggests. 

She used to be funny and edgy and outrageous. Now she's just another Mommy blogger.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

She's not my top favorite comedian or anything, but I don't mind her. She seems nice. I understand how comics are very YMMV no matter who they are though. I love Wanda Sykes, in comparison. I'm glad they have at least two people I like hosting the Oscars, I think they were good choices and I hope they do well since I don't enjoy the host-less format for awards shows.

3 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Sunny has slowly taken over Sara's View Your Deal segment, they're testing Joy in Sara's chair.....Sara, you in danger, girl. 

I like Sara 😥.

Nah, I don't think Sara's going anywhere unless she simply wants to. She only chose to leave the first time because she didn't want to deal with McCain. Sara is a long-time ABC employee on top of having Whoopi in her corner which is why she could come back to this job the moment she decided. She'd have to really mess up to be in any danger.

I don't believe Sara would want to leave right now either; the show is much less toxic this season. I enjoy what Sara brings to the show even if I don't always agree with her. I believe she helps to alleviate tension and makes the show more fun the same as Joy and Ana, just in a different way than through comedy (at least most of the time, sometimes she lands a good joke).

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I enjoy what Sara brings to the show even if I don't always agree with her. I believe she helps to alleviate tension and makes the show more fun the same as Joy and Ana, just in a different way than through comedy (at least most of the time, sometimes she lands a good joke).

I think Joy and Sara are the most natural cohosts. They both have a quick wit and are gregarious.  I think what you see onscreen is who they are offscreen.  I would want to spend time with both of them. 

• Love 15
50 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I enjoy what Sara brings to the show even if I don't always agree with her. I believe she helps to alleviate tension and makes the show more fun the same as Joy and Ana, just in a different way than through comedy (at least most of the time, sometimes she lands a good joke).

Sara is very sweet and not the most snarky person, but yes she brings light and can be rather witty too. What she said last week was one of the funniest things I've heard on the show in a long time. Joy is like auntie in my head, and Sara is someone I'd love as a big sister. 

• Love 7

Wow...Sunny's disdain and dislike for Alyssa is totally apparent - I can almost feel the hate coming from my TV.

If Sunny has anything to say about it, I can't see Alyssa getting that seat on the panel.

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 2

Wow, everyone is going after Alyssa today. Good. 

38 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

Sunny?  Lifelong Marylander and democrat here.  Marylanders love Larry Hogan.  Just saying.

She was right about Pence not being popular in IN though. He was done politically until trump tossed him a lifeline.

I have a negative reaction to anyone labeled “an influencer.”

So if Joy is quarantining I wonder who will moderate tomorrow. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

I'll bet Whoppi will be there.

Or either Ana moderates. I won't watch if it is Sunny but I can't see them only having three at the table.

• Love 1
On 3/15/2022 at 2:43 PM, deirdra said:

I remember thinking that in first grade (1961) when we practiced hiding under our little wooden desks; I was worried about wood splinters and shards of window glass since my desk was in the row next to the windows.  Also once we had a full-on drill where those of us who lived within a mile of school were told to walk home and the bussed kids were sent to the school basement to duck and cover (with their arms) against the basement wall.  I don't know if our parents were warned that we'd be coming home early for a drill, but the entire walk home I sure worried about getting bombed during the ~18 minute walk and if Mom was out I might end up being locked out of the house for longer or my parents might get killed and never make it home. So much for the innocence of youth.

When I was in grammar school and between those air raid practices, the newsreels shown during a Saturday movie showing our enemies coming on shore I was afraid about every plane flying over as I walked the one block home.  
 At a non profit preschool where I volunteered when they did get under the table and cover little 3-4 year olds were terrified and 2 wouldn’t do it. Felt so bad for them. 
I just rewatched an old clip of a comic I have seen in concert and he has a bit that cheerful people are annoying. Hmmm 

On 3/16/2022 at 11:00 AM, limestation said:

She used to be funny and edgy and outrageous. Now she's just another Mommy blogger.

Really?  She's changed that much?  Well that sux bigly.  Loved her right from the get-go.  She was hysterical!  The raunchier the better.  The grosser the better. But she wasn't always a good girl saying a funny joke with a bad berry berry bad punchline.  Her jokes always had a relevant punchline.  Then she would tell a story, usually very humorous.  Hell, I would sit in the front row and let her riff.  Ok anyone know the Amy Shumer Fan Club?  hah j/k

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

She was right about Pence not being popular in IN though. He was done politically until trump tossed him a lifeline.

Yup.  Probably by design too.  Then the prev. POTUS could say he saved his career, put him in the upper echelon that he would never know otherwise. VP Pence would feel like he owed him for picking him. And so went along with everything until 1/6 happened and Pence showed he would NOT be going down with this shipwreck, and he was instantly out.  Persona non  grata.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, athousandclowns said:

When I was in grammar school and between those air raid practices, the newsreels shown during a Saturday movie showing our enemies coming on shore I was afraid about every plane flying over as I walked the one block home.  
 At a non profit preschool where I volunteered when they did get under the table and cover little 3-4 year olds were terrified and 2 wouldn’t do it. Felt so bad for them. 
I just rewatched an old clip of a comic I have seen in concert and he has a bit that cheerful people are annoying. Hmmm 

I was in elementary school in the 50's, in California, and I remember having to crawl under the desk for the drills.  I don't remember anyone being terribly frightened, we just did what we were told, kind of like fire drills.  It's funny, in the 70's these bomb drills became earthquake drills, same thing, crawl under the desk and cover your head.

I DO vividly remember the Cuban missile crisis, and everyone was very freaked out. And I definitely remember seeing clips of Khrushchev saying "We will bury you!" on black and white TV.  Now THAT was scary! Around that time, some people were actually having bomb shelters built in their backyards.

• Love 4

That was painful to watch. Why is it Sunny looks away when she talks and Ana looks at Whoopi. I guess trying to diminish Alyssa Farrah Fowler - who at least doesn't rest on the laurels of "my father".  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Alyssa reminds me of a pageant contestant without the sash.  Since she has a connection with Florida, and previous WH experience, one would think she would be recruited by the GOP for the next presidential race.  Perhaps The View pays better than the US Government and the View gig could last longer than four years. 

Regardless, I hope she doesn't get the chair.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Haleth said:

Fellow Hoosier agreeing. Pence was tanking in Indiana. 

20 hours ago, Haleth said:

Oh god me too.  I don't care how much money they rake in.  It is not a real job.  A coworker showed me Tik Tok as he scrolled through it and it was just clips of ordinary people doing ordinary things and yet somehow they have thousands of followers.  Maybe I'm just old but I just do not get it.

I must be in the minority because I don't mind Amy Farrah Fowler.   It could be because so many of the other cohost candidates have been so much worse but she doesn't bother me.  I disagree with most of what she says but she has said a couple things that I did agree with.  The show could and has done worse when hiring cohosts for that seat. 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Vanderboom said:

So far, the trio of Whoopi, Ana, and Eboni isn't that bad. I think Eboni does better on talk shows and news panels than on Real Housewives, where her lecturing is rather off-putting.

It’s working because it’s just the three of them. These are three panelists who love to talk at length 😁

• Love 4

Interesting opening.  Whoopie saying "the day we have had today, insane and crazy" and then no Sunny or Alyssa.  Wonder if there was something up in the prep before the show or were they both in quarantine today? 

The show seems to be going smoothly with just the three.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, Tammy12 said:

image.thumb.png.3dc6fe3ead2ccc883099b34d464e3e9c.png

Looks like the planned guest host tested positive. I wonder if Sunny did too?

So yesterday Joy wasn't there because she was in quarantine because of being a close contact of someone who tested positive and/or had Covid and now Alyssa does have Covid.  I hope Joy is OK.

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

So yesterday Joy wasn't there because she was in quarantine because of being a close contact of someone who tested positive and/or had Covid and now Alyssa does have Covid.  I hope Joy is OK.

Joy is going to hate whoever she was exposed to with covid that made her miss Michael Buble as a guest.   I'm also wondering if he was supposed to be in studio, and had to go remote due to the outbreak.

Edited by After7Only
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Vanderboom said:

So far, the trio of Whoopi, Ana, and Eboni isn't that bad. I think Eboni does better on talk shows and news panels than on Real Housewives, where her lecturing is rather off-putting.

I had no idea who she was and didn't find her interesting at all.

And, Whoopi saying something about how strange it was that they were so spread out they were - maybe position the 3 chairs closer together for today? 

Quite a boring show.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2