Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Download

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

If Nathan can die at any moment, why are they wasting all that time bringing Nathan back to New York? Nathan can use his retina scan backdoor program from anywhere and do his thing since the clock is ticking. They didn't really need to bring Nathan back to life, they could have just taken a Hi-Res scan/photo of Nathan's retina from his clone body and let Ingrid have the rest.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

Really disappointingly little happened in this very shortened season. I assume it's because of covid complications, but still not satisfying.

20 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

If Nathan can die at any moment, why are they wasting all that time bringing Nathan back to New York? Nathan can use his retina scan backdoor program from anywhere and do his thing since the clock is ticking. They didn't really need to bring Nathan back to life, they could have just taken a Hi-Res scan/photo of Nathan's retina from his clone body and let Ingrid have the rest.

I can fanwank it a few ways, like the eye needs to seem alive, a few pupil tests are performed to make sure and that only happens when a thinking brain is connected. Also it's probably helpful to have him to access the programm. But you are right, they should have accessed it from LA. Unless they need to physically go to the offices in New York, that are located in the rich guys office building. That is the only reason I could think of, that they need to go there. I guess we'll see unless Netflix cancels this show before the next season. But usually we get three seasons before they cancel.

Up until the end, I thought there is no way he is going to die, but I guess loading a backup is a good way to make his head explode and still keep him around. Only question is how far back that backup was taken. Will he remember the breakup? Time will tell.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Zonk said:

Really disappointingly little happened in this very shortened season.

[SNIP]

I guess we'll see unless Netflix cancels this show before the next season.

So little happens because the show said they were going to try to expand the roles of the other characters since they are very popular. You are right, very little actually happened storywise.

Netflix Prime Video

Surprised Nathan never figured out that shallow Ingrid would never actually die to be with him. 
That clip Nora was watching on the hyperloop, was that the Waterboy? (I’m not up on my Adam Sandler movies)
Nice work production designers, on the hyperloop. But the real one is supposed to have screens (‘windows’) showing the outside whizzing by, to avoid claustrophobia. Guess they didn’t want to spend more on CGI. 
Also… slowest high-speed police vehicles ever. Not to mention Why bother showing us that whole setup, with no payoff?

Edited by kay1864
51 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

So little happens because the show said they were going to try to expand the roles of the other characters since they are very popular. You are right, very little actually happened storywise.

Tbh not much happened in season 1 either, when you consider that it was three more episodes.

51 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Netflix Prime Video

Oh yeah, forgot which streaming service I was watching this on. I guess that means a bit better chances of not getting abruptly cancelled.

6 minutes ago, kay1864 said:

Nice work production designers, on the hyperloop. But the real one is supposed to have screens (‘windows’) showing the outside whizzing by, to avoid claustrophobia.

The "real one" is a fantasy that is never going to get built.

Edited by Zonk
  • LOL 1
2 minutes ago, Zonk said:

The "real one" is a fantasy that is never going to get built.

As is the one in the episode, and the design is still wrong. You can’t put people in a windowless tube for four hours.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, kay1864 said:

Also… slowest high-speed police vehicles ever. Not to mention Why bother showing us that whole setup, with no payoff?

The season ended with them still on the train - plenty of time for the police to catch up still!

I binged the whole season in one sitting and wish I had spaced it out a little more. It's a fun rom-com with a bit of genre sci-fi thrown in, but I was surprised with how much this season got into ethics around technology and privacy in technology.

On 3/11/2022 at 12:56 AM, AnimeMania said:

Yeah good point. 

We've all seen minority report I think it is?  Just steal his eyes.  

Also could do without the cutesy / awkward hook up on the train. Wasting time...

I mentioned in the 6th episode thread also anyone with Google maps could figure out the odd distribution of the free upload places.  There was really no point in them following that guy around New York.  Could have found all that out in like 30 seconds and no way I believe no one else has figured it out but them.  

It's a fun show but the larger plot of him being murdered and all behind it is just such a stretch this season. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73

Even for a show about death, I was surprised about how dystopian the ending was.

Nathan's mom and a bunch of apparently healthy people are lined up to get uploaded.

Alicia is torturing Luke by forcing him to have G rated dreams.

Ingrid turns from annoyingly possessive in her relationship with Nathan to psychotically obsessed.

I think the thing that bothers me most about the season is that they showed hints of a deeper, more engaging character with Ingrid (talking to Norah at the birthing tanks) and Luke (with his veteran buddy talking about his leadership) and did absolutely nothing with it. It felt like they pumped out this season because they were contractually obligated to and not because they knew where they wanted the story to go.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, xaxat said:

It felt like they pumped out this season because they were contractually obligated to and not because they knew where they wanted the story to go.

Greg Daniels, this show's creator, has said many times that he enjoys writing himself into a corner on season finales. He says it gives him motivation over the summer (when working on network TV) to knock it out of the park in the premiere and early season episodes.

For example: at the time of filming the season 1 finale, my guess is Greg had not yet decided if Ingrid actually died. 

This model worked great for The Office and Parks and Rec because they had long seasons to untangle the knots he'd tie. But this season was 1. Too short and 2. Felt like maybe the first 3 episodes of a 10 episode season and 3. Confusing, honestly

Nora's avatar wig was trash.

Choak being the villain/killer was what everyone thought in the first place. The killer is the person you most suspect

I'd love to know why they changed actresses for Ingrid's grandma.

• Love 2

I really enjoyed this season. I felt like it ended in a place that had enough questions to keep me excited for the next season (fingers crossed), but there was still some significant forward movement, especially in personal growth and relationships.

• Love 4
On 3/12/2022 at 4:51 AM, kay1864 said:

I need to explain this? Same reason their self-driving cars have windshields and windows. See my first post above—claustrophobia. 

Those hyperloops thingies were very roomy. Way more space than a car. Nobody is going to get claustrophobic in those. No need for windows. So yeah, you need a better explaination than that.

Also windows make no sense in a hyperloop. All you'd see is the metal tube the capsule is in.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

Choak being the villain/killer was what everyone thought in the first place. The killer is the person you most suspect

The timeline is strange though.  Choak was already in Lakeview when Nathan was murdered.  So why wait so long to have him killed?  And is a meeting with Ingrid's dad really something that controversial, you have to kill over it?

I think Ingrid may have some issues.  Just a hunch.  She should hop back into Lakeview (while alive of course) and hang out with a therapist dog.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

The evil plan seems questionable to me. People in NY and CA would simply relocate to the states where more spots are available.

If healthy people are lining up to upload now, they'll certainly make the trip to a battleground state to do so. They don't even have to worry about finding a job or a place to stay.

• Love 3

The plan was to encourage poor people in swing states to upload so that there would be relatively less of them and Choak's favorite candidates would be more likely to win elections in those states. So the point of having lots of Freeyonds in swing states was to make it easy for people there to upload. Some people from non-swing states might also travel there to upload there but that would not make a difference for Choak's plans.

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, paulvdb said:

The plan was to encourage poor people in swing states to upload so that there would be relatively less of them and Choak's favorite candidates would be more likely to win elections in those states. So the point of having lots of Freeyonds in swing states was to make it easy for people there to upload. Some people from non-swing states might also travel there to upload there but that would not make a difference for Choak's plans.

May all be true but I still contend anyone could figure out that plan in like 30 seconds looking at a map.  No way they're the only ones to realize this or pointing it out. 

22 hours ago, Jediknight said:

The timeline is strange though.  Choak was already in Lakeview when Nathan was murdered.  So why wait so long to have him killed?  And is a meeting with Ingrid's dad really something that controversial, you have to kill over it?

I think Ingrid may have some issues.  Just a hunch.  She should hop back into Lakeview (while alive of course) and hang out with a therapist dog.

I was wondering how he was alive, in order to talk to Ingrid’s dad, and if he’s really dead, or using one of those suits.  
I actually thought the electoral reason, was a good/different idea. I didn’t see that coming.  
They had to revive him, so that he could really be with Nora, even if it was only for twenty-four hours.  
I think Alesha is my favourite character, so of course they had to start bringing her to the bad side.  Was Lucy broadcasting the uploads on the internet, like a livestream? How is that legal?
They had to make Ingrid worse, but I don’t know why.  They don’t need to do that, to make Nora look better. Why can’t they just let them both be decent people? Ingrid is alive, too, and isn’t about to die alone, unless she keeps obsessing.

That poor AI must be programmed to take any kind of abuse.  When he was so kind to Ingrid, that was just the sweetest part of the show. 

• Love 1

Watching this episode I just assumed there would be at least two or three more episodes this season. This didn't feel like a finale at all! So I was shocked to read here that this season is over! So unsatisfying. 

Ingrid was terrifying in that scene where she screams that Nathan was all she had. Yikes! At the end, is she planning to clone Nathan to grow another body for him? Or to somehow have a clone baby? 

The season ended on such a creepy note, Nathan's mother about to die, his head about to explode, the afterlife of millions of people blown to smithereens, possibly along with Lakeview. Meanwhile poor Ingrid and the Lud boyfriend are forced to watch the people they love being in love with someone else, right in their faces, while Luke mourns his BFF. Cheery. 

• Like 1
  • Love 8
On 3/14/2022 at 5:32 AM, paulvdb said:

That makes sense, though people from CA and NY are still going to flock to other states and take up spots there and slow down the process for the people from those states.

The real question though is why not just let Nathan and his partners open their own free service, if the goal is to simply remove the poor from the vote, the more free Upload services available the better even if they're not specifically opening in the key locations.

Honestly I'm confused as to why he'd even need hide his involvement. As far as evil plans go, this evil plan is, apparently, just giving people exactly what they want. People are lining up to die for this service. I guess it's entirely possible that they're planning on pulling the plug on the whole thing once they tip the votes enough, but if that's the case then I have to wonder how good of a job he's doing of hiding things when he's housing their offices in a building he owns

Also I'm curious as to what it is about Nathan's specific code that was so important, it seems that the main reason a free service would have issues starting would be the need to run and maintain the physical servers and drives rather than having a code for a good VR interface.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Perfect Xero said:

That makes sense, though people from CA and NY are still going to flock to other states and take up spots there and slow down the process for the people from those states.

The real question though is why not just let Nathan and his partners open their own free service, if the goal is to simply remove the poor from the vote, the more free Upload services available the better even if they're not specifically opening in the key locations.

Honestly I'm confused as to why he'd even need hide his involvement. As far as evil plans go, this evil plan is, apparently, just giving people exactly what they want. People are lining up to die for this service. I guess it's entirely possible that they're planning on pulling the plug on the whole thing once they tip the votes enough, but if that's the case then I have to wonder how good of a job he's doing of hiding things when he's housing their offices in a building he owns

Also I'm curious as to what it is about Nathan's specific code that was so important, it seems that the main reason a free service would have issues starting would be the need to run and maintain the physical servers and drives rather than having a code for a good VR interface.

Yes you're right about all that I don't get it either.  All  Seems convoluted.  

No matter where the offices are just the fact it's free would seem to reduce the potential voters who politically would be against him. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

I'm still thinking his code somehow unlocks download.  It was brought back up this season, so it's been just hiding in plain sight.  Nathan figured out a way to successfully download somebody, and didn't realize it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Jediknight said:

I'm still thinking his code somehow unlocks download.  It was brought back up this season, so it's been just hiding in plain sight.  Nathan figured out a way to successfully download somebody, and didn't realize it.

I think it's the likely end game of the series, definitely more worth everything around Nathan that we've seen than a free upload service would be.

• Love 2
On 3/16/2022 at 9:49 AM, Perfect Xero said:

but if that's the case then I have to wonder how good of a job he's doing of hiding things when he's housing their offices in a building he owns

Well he also apparently had Nathan murdered and his memories of his work and shady involvements wiped. But then couldn't resist telling the utterly oblivious to this Nathan, that he must have been murdered and thus setting Nathan's investigation in motion.

As a season it was disappointing (and I get why) but there were enough good moments and I care enough about the characters to want more. I do love that they got on the train back to NYC at "Buttigieg Station."

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

In case you missed it . . . don't shut it off when the closing credits start to roll. There's a bonus scene of Luke playing the spelling game in his G-rated dream.

I'm assuming they will have to re-upload Nathan before his head explodes so he'll be back in Lakeview next season. Not sure what happens with a second avatar created from the backup; if there's no upload of Nathan what runs the backup avatar? For that matter why should the avatar disappear from Lakeview just because Nathan downloaded? His code and his avatar are 2 different things: first he gets uploaded, then the "angel" at Horizon creates his avatar using photos and memories. I think the show sometimes has trouble distinguishing between the upload and the virtual. That was the whole problem with Ingrid pretending to be uploaded. Did Horizon know and just didn't care?

I'd love to know why they changed actresses for Ingrid's grandma.

That raises another issue: clearly they are able to change the appearance of the avatars so why haven't they colorized grandma by now? The initial gag was that she was an early upload when the tech was young and there were only black and white photos of her, but we can colorize old movies now with our current technology. There's really no reason they can't colorize grandma's avatar. Unless she just prefers being black and white.

• Love 3

I think she paid boatloads of money to keep her secret. She makes a comment to this effect. 

I remember that but Nora was surprised when she found out so the "angels" were apparently not in on it and couldn't tell the difference. Which is weird because, as established, an angel has to create an avatar for a new arrival, so if nobody created Ingrid's avatar where did they think she came from?

• Love 1
On 3/14/2022 at 10:55 PM, Anela said:

I was wondering how he was alive, in order to talk to Ingrid’s dad, and if he’s really dead, or using one of those suits.  
I actually thought the electoral reason, was a good/different idea. I didn’t see that coming.  
They had to revive him, so that he could really be with Nora, even if it was only for twenty-four hours.  
I think Alesha is my favourite character, so of course they had to start bringing her to the bad side.  Was Lucy broadcasting the uploads on the internet, like a livestream? How is that legal?
They had to make Ingrid worse, but I don’t know why.  They don’t need to do that, to make Nora look better. Why can’t they just let them both be decent people? Ingrid is alive, too, and isn’t about to die alone, unless she keeps obsessing.

That poor AI must be programmed to take any kind of abuse.  When he was so kind to Ingrid, that was just the sweetest part of the show. 

We've seen this season that he can get into a robosuit to be in the real world, and it was hinted that Ingrid's dad came to him on Family Day. So either is possible.

They could have had Nora and him do it in the virtual world.

An episode this season touched on the notion that Horizen basically took advantage of the Ludd attack to lobby for a variety of changes in the law, including one that would let them monitor and broadcast uploads' thoughts and dreams. How they pitched the connection between "we've been hacked by an anti-tech group!" and "we should be able to put our residents' private lives on the Internet" is something I am not sure how to put together, but that's what was said. 

One thing I didn't catch was when Nora broke up with Matteo. 

Ingrid was always bad. Selfish, vain, and complicit in Nathan's murder. I think they did a lot to make her seem more positive, but come on.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

I forget exactly what the fight was about, but it was when she handed him the pillow and said they could sleep apart, and then he got pissy that she intended him to sleep in the hall because he assumed he'd be taking the bed and she'd sleep in the hall.

• Love 1
On 3/24/2022 at 11:47 PM, Chicago Redshirt said:

We've seen this season that he can get into a robosuit to be in the real world, and it was hinted that Ingrid's dad came to him on Family Day. So either is possible.

They could have had Nora and him do it in the virtual world.

An episode this season touched on the notion that Horizen basically took advantage of the Ludd attack to lobby for a variety of changes in the law, including one that would let them monitor and broadcast uploads' thoughts and dreams. How they pitched the connection between "we've been hacked by an anti-tech group!" and "we should be able to put our residents' private lives on the Internet" is something I am not sure how to put together, but that's what was said. 

Ingrid was always bad. Selfish, vain, and complicit in Nathan's murder. I think they did a lot to make her seem more positive, but come on.

She has always been that way, but they did make her worse. And then they made her insane. 

• Love 1
On 3/24/2022 at 11:47 PM, Chicago Redshirt said:

I’ll say they made me appreciate the range of the actor this season, playing the substitute Ingrid and all of Ingrid’s flaws with that growing insanity.

Does Nevaeh have parents? As she’s saying goodbye to Grandma I asked my friend who would take care of Nevaeh and we she claims we saw parents in the first ep of the series but I don’t think we’ve heard about anyone else in the family.

• Love 2

Kind of an underwhelming season, especially after nearly two years of waiting. The world felt smaller and less creative this time around. And it felt like half a season, with a lot of unresolved stories - namely, the detective piece was a big, aimless snoozer.

At the end, I almost wondered if it wasn't Nathan who actually downloaded. Besides the "I lost him! He should have woken up by now!" element, there were a couple odd character beats that had me wondering if there were some shenanigans, and Nathan actually was glitched out of existence. Either Choak got to him and/or the Ludds had their own plan. (Do I really think this is the storyline? No. But it would be interesting.)

Could Nora have backed up Nathan's current memories before he downloaded? Or are we possibly looking at Nathan dying and season 1 Nathan replacing him? And who does Ingrid think will be downloading into the new Nathan body she's creating...what did she do with virtual Nathan's memories?

I hope there's a third season.

• Love 1
On 3/26/2022 at 11:21 PM, bettername2come said:

I’ll say they made me appreciate the range of the actor this season, playing the substitute Ingrid and all of Ingrid’s flaws with that growing insanity.

Does Nevaeh have parents? As she’s saying goodbye to Grandma I asked my friend who would take care of Nevaeh and we she claims we saw parents in the first ep of the series but I don’t think we’ve heard about anyone else in the family.

The first episode of Season 1, we see a man and a woman sitting on either side of Navaeh at dinner who are likely her parents.

Nathan's Uncle featured at his funeral and his Cousin Fran was the one investigating Nathan's death before her own self driving car drove her off a pier.

• Love 1

I have such mixed feelings about this show. I love the world the writers have created and the worldbuilding they did in Season 1. I think all the characters are great - with Luke and Aleesha really standing out this season - but the plot is slow and weak. It relies too heavily on Nathan and Nora's relationship and not enough on everything else - did we really need to spend 5 minutes of the show watching their first (and last) hook-up? There are so many unanswered questions and dropped storylines that I hope they get to answer in Season 3 (if there is one) but some of them could have been fleshed out this season. What happened to Jamie? Is no one really going to investigate Fran's death? What about the guy Josh who Fran was going to meet? Who is Pastor Rob, and what are the Ludds really up to? What happened to Nora's dad? Who was Kannerman going to see on Family Day? Will Dylan's parents ever be able to afford an adult body? What's going on with the detective? The guy who Nathan pummeled in the elevator? What was the point of Tinsley, except to give us the great Aleesha line "what does everyone see in this human bowl of oatmeal"? For that matter, why does Aleesha keep getting promoted? It seems obvious that she's being set up as some sort of fall guy, but to what end?

I would have loved more of any of these plots and much less of Ingrid pining for a digital baby.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, mstar1125 said:

I have such mixed feelings about this show. I love the world the writers have created and the worldbuilding they did in Season 1. I think all the characters are great - with Luke and Aleesha really standing out this season - but the plot is slow and weak. It relies too heavily on Nathan and Nora's relationship and not enough on everything else - did we really need to spend 5 minutes of the show watching their first (and last) hook-up? There are so many unanswered questions and dropped storylines that I hope they get to answer in Season 3 (if there is one) but some of them could have been fleshed out this season. What happened to Jamie? Is no one really going to investigate Fran's death? What about the guy Josh who Fran was going to meet? Who is Pastor Rob, and what are the Ludds really up to? What happened to Nora's dad? Who was Kannerman going to see on Family Day? Will Dylan's parents ever be able to afford an adult body? What's going on with the detective? The guy who Nathan pummeled in the elevator? What was the point of Tinsley, except to give us the great Aleesha line "what does everyone see in this human bowl of oatmeal"? For that matter, why does Aleesha keep getting promoted? It seems obvious that she's being set up as some sort of fall guy, but to what end?

I would have loved more of any of these plots and much less of Ingrid pining for a digital baby.

If someone asked me what this season was about, I wouldn’t be able to say. The 30 minute episodes were too short and each episode seemed serialized, almost like a sitcom, without a clear thread and definitely without a clear dramatic pique. This episode felt penultimate. I enjoyed it because I enjoyed season 1 and the general premise. 

The only thing that would make this season more compelling is if Choak and Lud leadership worked together behind Nora’s back to kill Nathan and download someone else into his clone. That would tie a lot of it together, maybe. 

Edited by dovegrey
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 3/23/2022 at 11:55 AM, iMonrey said:

I remember that but Nora was surprised when she found out so the "angels" were apparently not in on it and couldn't tell the difference. Which is weird because, as established, an angel has to create an avatar for a new arrival, so if nobody created Ingrid's avatar where did they think she came from?

But remember, Ingrid appeared permanently just as Nora fled for upstate NY. Besides her, no one else would really have been looking, and while Aleesha might have noticed, because she was originally covering Nora's clients, she probably wasn't that interested in what "Oatmeal Boy" was up to. Also, Ingrid would have had an avatar from when she used her suit previously, so it would really just have been about them masking her "temporary" status. 

Edited by Rlb8031
Because it's important to indicate which "she" I mean
On 3/28/2022 at 12:55 PM, dovegrey said:

The 30 minute episodes were too short and each episode seemed serialized, almost like a sitcom, without a clear thread and definitely without a clear dramatic pique.

My guess is that going from a 18-23 episode season (which is what Greg Daniels would have written for Parks & Rec) down to a seven episode season (even shorter than the first 10 episode season), was challenging. Add in the pandemic restrictions and you get what we saw - a ton of scenes with 1-2 people having discussions and lots of dropped storylines and unanswered questions. I'm hoping that he builds out a nice story arc over the summer which advances the original plot, ties up lots of these loose threads, and doesn't end with Nora and Aleesha being enemies (l for one have loved their friendship).

• Love 3
On 3/13/2022 at 1:59 AM, BoogieBurns said:
On 3/12/2022 at 7:12 PM, xaxat said:

Nora's avatar wig was trash.

Maybe slightly better than the one she wears in Chicago Fire, that all the fans love to hate!

• Love 1

Good questions about how fewer freeyonds actually helps the evil plan of decreasing voters.

im going to guess that while freeyond if free to users the owners make money in other ways. Isn’t that how most “free” services work? 

i do wish seasons of everything were 23 episodes again. Apart from better worldbuildinf I just miss the comfortable habit.

• Love 2

I think they said that the plan was to get poor people in swing states to choose to die to join the free afterlife, thus reducing population of "those people." Also, I rather suspect that there could then be "technical difficulties" that causes the free afterlife to oops! not work out, or they raise the prices when it's too late to opt out.

• Love 1

I know that you need to suspend some disbelief in a show like this, but there seems like there are a lot cheaper and easier ways to change an election.  I kind of get what they are going for and trying to say, but it doesn't really work.

I like Nathan and Nora, but there getting together when they did seemed unearned.  They seemed to rush through resolving their issues so they could have them together in the finale of a short season.  It did not help that Nora did seem to really like rebound guy and while had a good reason to break-up with him they probably needed some more space before she kind of rebounded with Nathan.  The timing was a bit off as well -- their five minutes of cute talk in the pod did not exactly help keep suspense building to the end of the episode.  Compare to the season 1 where you were on the edge of your seat - this one did not really have a lot of tension.  The cops were not close to catching them - there was no real danger of getting caught.  Same with when they pulled the plugs on clones - or any time Nora did some sort of sabotage - hard to believe two high tech places would be so lax in security., especially when they were doing things that were shady.

Love Ingrid and the actress, but her character arc, showing signs of depth midway through only to take ten steps back at the closing moment was just a repeat from last year.  Also, while Nathan is handsome, it is hard to believe Ingrid is so obsessed with him.  It seems like he would be a quick fling for her and then move on to some rich exec or blue blood who already has a lot of money and power.

If there is a season 3, I kind of hope they wrap it up.  I like the cast and it is still funny for the most part, but by the end of the season, some of the gags were starting to get a little stale or just silly and trying too hard.  Hopefully it won't be another two years, or if there is a big gap a better, longer recap.  There were things that came up this season that I knew had some significance from season 1 but could not remember what it was.

After all that negativity, I did like the show and hope it returns, but it might be time to wrap it up.

• Love 1