Type keyword(s) to search

Please Sir, I Want Some More: Foods You Never Get Sick Of

• Start Topic

I'm sure everyone has a few meals that they have yet to get sick of. Food that makes you say "I could eat this every day of the week!".  What are they?

Italian:  I could eat pizza and pasta with marina, creamy or pesto sauces every day of the week.  In fact, when I was a young adult, I was so broke, that on pay day (I got paid every week), I'd buy a box of pasta and a jar of sauce (and two or three other types of boxed foods) and eat it for dinner all week.  You'd think that I'd come to hate it, but we still have a spaghetti night every week.  There are also occasions now where things get so busy that we end up ordering a pizza on the way home once a week and I have yet to get tired of that.

Fish/seafood and sushi:  I have yet to find a fish- fresh or salt water- or seafood that I don't like (except I'm not sure about oysters and sea urchin--I may love them, but I just can't bring myself to try them).  There are certain types of sushi that I don't like, but tuna, yellow tale, eel, salmon and shrimp (not the completely raw shrimp, though--the gray ones, ick)....yes, please!  Any day of the week.

• Love 1

Since I love them both so much and they both encompass such a wide variety of dishes, I could never get sick of Mexican or Thai food.

Specific dishes I could never get sick of: shrimp tacos, pad thai, fettucine alfredo, chicken cordon bleu, panang, kung pao, crab cakes

Ingredients I could use every day (or at least every day they're in season) in something and not get sick of: shrimp, chicken, spinach, cilantro, garlic, cheese, bacon, tomatoes, scallops, mushrooms, mango, strawberries

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

I could live on pizza, bagels, and pasta with vegetables and a lot of garlic (no tomato sauce). Sadly, I usually watch my carbs and don't really eat that way (anymore).

I'd never get sick of most Italian food, Mexican food, or sushi.

Also, salads are something I wouldn't want to live without. I could easily give up all meat before I could give up vegetables (both cooked and raw in salads).

I need garlic and hot pepper in my life.

If I had to give up cheese for life, I'd probably cry.

• Love 3

I could eat dahl for breakfast, lunch and dinner and never get sick of it, same goes for a simple pasta with a good garlicky sauce. If I was forced to eat a Thai beef or a Som Tum salad for the rest of my life I would die a happy person, throw in a ceviche now and again for variety :)
Savoury foods are my favourite, when it comes to sweets I can’t go past a scoop of  rum and raisin ice cream, or a tim tam and a cup of tea. I never get sick of either.

I fry my corn tortillas to what I'd call medium -- crunchy, but flexible.

And while I put shrimp tacos on my list of things I can never get sick of, it's more accurately: shrimp or chicken tacos of nearly-infinite varieties, or my mom's version of beef tacos.

• Love 2

Clams.  Raw, cooked, with linguine, with peppers and chorizo, in (Rhode Island) chowder, on a pizza.  Clams. 

Pizza - homemade or from the place down the street.   I live outside New Haven, whose inhabitants have opinions and the belief that they, and only they, know what makes pizza real or good, as strong as your basic NY or NJ pizza eater.  Domino's, Papa John's, etc  I could not eat every day.

Brisket.  Oven-roasted, slow-cooked, whatever. 

Tomatoes.  Good and fresh, not your winter supermarket variety.

@ExplainItAgain have you tried the mango salsa potato chips?  They keep advertising them, but I haven't seen them in our store yet.

All the proposed new Lay's flavors minus the Bacon-Cheddar Mac N' Cheese chips sound gross to me. A cappuccino-flavored potato chip?!

Edited by WendyR72
Edited because minutes and minus are so not the same word! Oops!
  • Love 4

Another sushi (sashimi specifically) lover here. I know about mercury levels so I wouldn't , but in a perfect world, I'd live off of it. As it is I limit myself to once every two weeks to spare my mercury intake and the number of fish in the sea. I love sea urchin (uni) it's delightful stuff, give it a try sometimes ShannonL.

Pad woon sen with tofu and vegetables, Pas See Ew, and Pad Kee Mao (all with tofu) are things I could live on.

If I could rotate through those foods forever, I'd be happy.

And for dessert I'd also have key lime pie. I love that stuff. Sadly it's about the only kind of pie my husband doesn't like so mostly I pine for it.

Edited by stillshimpy

I love sea urchin (uni) it's delightful stuff, give it a try sometimes ShannonL.

I've noticed that with some types of sushi, it's a texture thing:  I don't like roe or the raw shrimp because of the texture.  I hear that the green stuff in the lobster tail is sometime eaten on crackers-I tried once, but again--texture. Yuck.  Just looking at the oysters makes me think I couldn't eat them.  What is sea urchin like? 

As for sweets:  My family has a banana bread recipe that I have to make only on special occasions because I'm all over it when it's in the house.  Can't get enough of it.  Also, cake and cupcakes.  As long as it's not carrot cake with raisins (I hate raisins) or cake with coconut frosting (texture issue!), I'll keep eating it until it's gone (dessert after lunch, snack time, dessert after dinner....I can't have cake--or my family's banana bread--in the house)

Edited by Shannon L.

What is sea urchin like?

You know, it's nothing like any of the textures you've named. It's got a very velvety texture, almost like a very firm custard. It has an exceptionally smooth texture and it's nothing like oysters. If you have a texture issue though, it might be safer to order it with someone and take a small piece. I think it's great, but I don't mind anything you named other than the lobster tamale, which I don't go out of my way to eat.

They sometimes add Uni to sauces because it can be so creamy. You might want to skip it if you have textural issues, but it has almost no real "chew" to it if that makes sense.

• Love 2

Italian food. I would eat pasta every day for the rest of my life, but I don't want to weigh 800 pounds.

Defintely.  But it has to be homemade. My mom's sauce and meatballs. I have been known to eat the fried meatballs before they even make it into the sauce.  

And peanut butter. Give me a jar and a spoon and I could live on peanut butter. 

Or cheese.  As far as I'm concerned, cheese is a food group.

I love dessert in all its forms, but I could probably eat a hot fudge sundae or ricotta cheesecake every day and never get sick of them.

• Love 2

French fries. And potato chIps. I guess any kind of fried potato. Or any potato in general. I could live on french fries if they're the thin and crispy kind. Can you tell I'm off carbs? God I want some potatoes.

It's not exactly the same, but still quite tasty - take red radishes, slice or quarter.  Saute in butter or olive oil until tender and browned.  Season with salt and pepper.

Good bread, preferably rye or sourdough is something I will never tire of. Potatoes in all their forms. Eggs, scrambled, poached or fried sunny side up, the yolks must be runny. Cheese, I have yet to come across a cheese I couldn't eat forever. Indian, especially Keralan coconut curry. Pasta or gnocchi with a tomato or pesto sauce. Bacon. Mexican, especially enchiladas and burritos.

• Love 1

stillshimpy, I tried Uni last night.  There were no small pieces to choose from--the restaurant made them huge.  Sorry to say, I didn't like it.  I've had much worse, but, it's not something I'd order again.  I thought the taste was funny and I didn't really like texture.  But, I can now say that I have tried it. 

• Love 1

First of all, I love the title of this thread (can just see that little kid, holding his bowl, sweetly asking for more porridge).

If I could eat roast beef & whipped potatoes every day, I'd be a happy camper (and those whipped potatoes better be smooth and creamy). Second place would be grilled steak (medium, please) and a baked potato w/ either butter & S/P or sour cream & chives.  Those are the only foods I can think of that I'd be happy devouring over & over, and never get sick of them.

@Shannon L: I love oysters but had heard so many awful comments about them for too many years that I was afraid to try them.  Finally, I tried someone's fried oysters and was hooked.  Now I love them raw, steamed, grilled, fried. To me, they taste like the ocean and I love that.  So, if you're going to try them, first just try a fried oyster.

• Love 1

I think the reason I have a problem with oysters is because of a bad experience with clams.  I got one once that wasn't thoroughly cleaned out and it was gritty, so ever since then, if I order clams, I make sure they've taken the stomach off.  Ever since then, I see something with a shell and I think "stomach=grit"  ::shudder::

Spaghetti - I've already instructed my love ones to line up my coffin with boxes of Barilla Thick Spaghetti when 'the big one' comes.  OMG, if my doctor said I'd have to give up pasta I'd absolutely freak.  Spaghetti and Meatballs/spaghetti with ground beef sauce/spaghetti in a wonderful bacon/tomato paste sauce my moms used to make when we were kids.....like Pookie in New Jack City, it be callin' me and I got to go to it!!

Fried Chicken, but it must be my own.

Potato Salad drenched in hot sauce - (see Fried Chicken explanation)

Potato Chips - Man I swear they could be my lover, I eat 'em so much.

• Love 3

Fully-loaded pho. The kind with the super-thin raw beef and the beef balls and the tripe and the tendons, where when you decant the leftovers the next day it's just a solid block of gelatin until you reheat it. Yeah, I could live happily on that for decades.

• Love 2

Rice soup - a homemade dumbed down version of jook/congee but it needs to have a homemade bone broth to start.  I can eat this anytime of day or night, often having it several times during a 24 hr. period.  It only takes a very modest serving to make me feel full.  It is want I want when I am not feeling well and what I want when I feel good.  It is incredibly inexpensive to make.

If I have a good amount of bones, I freeze some of the broth (after straining out the onions because I don't care for how they taste (texturally) after freezing) for my next batch.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 1

Ketchup Chips - I love most potato chips in general, but Ketchup is my weakness.

Mexican Food - especially tacos. Love me some taco!!

European Deli foods - Basically some nice salami or some good quality european cold cut, some nice pickled veggie, some fresh bread, cheese, etc..Mmmmm..Sometimes I'll make a "snack tray" for dinner - I guess you'd call it a charcuterie plate. When kids were making sandwichs for lunch in elementary school, I was making myself snack plates for lunch!

• Love 2

Lobster, tomalley and all.  

Grilled cheese sandwiches

BLT

Eggs in every way

Creamed spinach (the way I make it, not too rich) 

Good crusty, chewy white bread 

Edited by wings707

Falafels and hummus (actually, chickpeas done any way)

Brie, especially with tomatoes and avocado on ciabatta or baguette, lightly toasted

Caprese salad

Guacamole

Grilled cheese (REAL cheese, please, not the kind wrapped in plastic) with tomato soup

Bolognese sauce over rice (childhood memories!).  These days, I also do this over quinoa and often make it with turkey rather than beef

Macaroni and cheese (again, real cheese, not powder)

Cookies, especially sugar and chocolate chip, preferably chewy

Brownies/blondies (especially fresh out of the oven and topped with vanilla ice cream)

Tofu Parmesan (basically baked tofu with tomato sauce, Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses)

Strawberries dipped in chocolate

Ice cream: strawberry, chocolate chip and cookies and cream

Maple anything (I'm known to put maple syrup in my coffee - and I don't typically sweeten coffee)

Shakshouka (more and more brunch places here in Toronto are serving this now)

Green onion pancakes

Edited by PRgal

Do Ring Dings count as food?

No but people eat paper towels and cigarette butts so you are good to go.  

Falafels and hummus (actually, chickpeas done any way)

Brie, especially with tomatoes and avocado on ciabatta or baguette, lightly toasted

Caprese salad

Guacamole

Grilled cheese (REAL cheese, please, not the kind wrapped in plastic) with tomato soup

Bolognese sauce over rice (childhood memories!).  These days, I also do this over quinoa and often make it with turkey rather than beef

Macaroni and cheese (again, real cheese, not powder)

Cookies, especially sugar and chocolate chip, preferably chewy

Brownies/blondies (especially fresh out of the oven and topped with vanilla ice cream)

Tofu Parmesan (basically baked tofu with tomato sauce, Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses)

Strawberries dipped in chocolate

Ice cream: strawberry, chocolate chip and cookies and cream

Maple anything (I'm known to put maple syrup in my coffee - and I don't typically sweeten coffee)

Shakshouka (more and more brunch places here in Toronto are serving this now)

Green onion pancakes

Oh yum.   Can you take me home with you?  

• Love 1

Throw in some pasta and I'm right there with you.

Well, I can throw in pretty much anything with that base. A little pasta, some salami, olives, fresh fruit, dried fruit, and so on.  It's the core three that probably best answers the question of what could I eat every day and probably never get sick of.

I mean, I could probably eat pizza every day, but I think I might get tired of it. (After a few years.)

Edited by JTMacc99