Type keyword(s) to search

Please Sir, I Want Some More: Foods You Never Get Sick Of

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, ennui said:

Warm sourdough bread with butter. And a glass of chardonnay. 

A Book of Verses underneath the Bough,
A Jug of Wine, a Loaf of Bread — and Thou
Beside me singing in the Wilderness —
Oh, Wilderness were Paradise enow!

~Omar Khayyam

I'm having flash backs to my HS humanities class...

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Corn and my garden tomatoes are a tie in my book. 

The good thing about the tomatoes is that when you are preparing them, you hardly ever get a worm crawling out at you.

Ahhhh! Thanks for the visual auntlada.

Every morning I harvest salad greens to make my lunch.  I wash them very carefully, pick them over verrrry carefully, to make sure I don't get a bug or slug in my lunch.

• Love 3
On 8/21/2017 at 6:33 AM, Qoass said:

Corn on the cob is my favorite "summer only" food.

I don't love corn the way most people who like corn love it.  That first, farm-fresh corn cob of summer is tasty, yes, but I just don't share the same level of excitement most do.  I could have corn on the cob once or twice per summer, and enjoy it each time, but have that be plenty for me.  Maybe it's the starch; I tend to either not like or be ambivalent about starchy vegetables.  I like corn more than carrots or most winter squashes (the starchy vegetables I like or am ambivalent about, with the rest generally falling into the don't like category), but I'm not at all in love with it.

• Love 1

I love the taste of corn, but can't deal with the mess of eating it off the cob, or the mess of stripping the kernels off the cob.  It's not something one eats with company.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Quof said:

I love the taste of corn, but can't deal with the mess of eating it off the cob, or the mess of stripping the kernels off the cob.  It's not something one eats with company.

I've seen people eat it with the fork. Kinda wedge the fork along the rows in between the seed and pull up.

I myself am a rather particular corn eater. I start with eating 3-4 rows by just biting into them, and then go row by row. Except for the first few rows my husk looks pristinely clean after i'm done with it.

And after I've learned how to make corn in the microwave (so I don't have to boil it, losing taste, or wait forever in the oven), I have it a lot more often that I used to. 

• Love 1

We put our corn on the cob on the grill, shucked, for a few minutes, rotating, just to warm it. Butter, salt, pepper, eat. Dang - why didn't I stop at the farm stand today and get some!

I never get tired of ice cream in it's many forms. Had some wonderful gelato in Italy in June (and one not so great).

On 8/25/2017 at 5:26 AM, Quof said:

That's why the Barefoot Contessa's recipe for Confetti Corn is so delicious.  You cut the kernels off the cob and saute with butter and olive oil and other good stuff.  

16 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I had eggs that were at their "best use by" date, so I used them to make deviled eggs.

I take my eggs out of their carton and put them into a plastic egg container that came with my fridge. That totally solves the "best use by" date problem. 

And I'm with you, I love deviled eggs! 

• Love 7

Fried corn like my grandma made. I could eat it every day if it were made as good as she made it. Barbecue-I am from the south-barbecue and the trimmings(baked beans, potato salad)I never get sick of. Seafood, especially fried fish and shrimp made just about any way-I could eat it almost every day, with the trimmings- hush puppies and cole slaw. Any kind of fresh fruit-I could eat fresh strawberries and peaches every day.  Fresh, hot homemade biscuits with hot, peppery cream gravy for breakfast. Fried country potatoes. A stack of pancakes with butter and syrup and a side of bacon. 

I likes my comfort food. 

• Love 3