Type keyword(s) to search

What Are We Currently Reading?

Rick Kitchen
  • Start Topic

34 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I’ve read those reviews. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but glowing book reviews aren’t always a sure thing. Something Borrowed got good book reviews too, just saying’.

I agree. It’s just interesting how a reputable publication sometimes likes terrible things. 

• Like 2

I read James Patterson’s The Horsewoman. As a former equestrian I think he did a fair job of getting a lot of the facts about horse shows correct, adding a subplot or two that fit into his story, but the ending was hokey. Too down pat and unbelievable. I almost feel as he got to a certain number of pages and then explored the quickest way to tie it all up. I enjoyed it overall, but he lost me the last 100 or so pages. 

Yesterday I read The Collective by Alison Gaylin. It’s about woman who avenge their children’s deaths by joining a group of similar ladies. I’m still not sure what I thought about it, other than it kept my interest with some chills. It also permeated my dreams and I’m still thinking about it this morning. It would make an interesting movie. 

Stayed up way too late to finish The Covenant of Water (Abraham Verghese). The writing is exquisite and the story moved me profoundly. This was the best thing I’ve read in ages. Highly recommend. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

I just finished:

None of This is True by Lisa Jewell, its a wild ride that is in desperate need of a sequel. When I finished it I desperately needed more closure. 

Silver Nitrate by Silvia Moreno-Garcia was a really good read, it combined a lot of things that I am fascinated by (mysticism, old cinema, cursed films) and both of the leads were flawed but likable. Mexican Gothic is still my favorite book by her though. 

Yumi and the Nightmare Painter and Tress of the Emerald Sea by Brandon Sanderson were both a lot of fun and had very different vibes than most of his other books that I have read. Both are very whimsical in their own ways, Tress is very fairy tale while Yumi is clearly very influenced by manga/anime, I had a great time reading them back to back. I know that some people are not the biggest fan of Sanderson's prose, that his strengths are world building, magic systems, and characters and not writing style, and I also think they can be a bit mechanical, but these are so different its clearly a stylistic choice he's making and not something he's just not good at. 

• Like 3
On 3/17/2024 at 8:47 AM, Haleth said:

Stayed up way too late to finish The Covenant of Water (Abraham Verghese). The writing is exquisite and the story moved me profoundly. This was the best thing I’ve read in ages. Highly recommend. 

I absolutely loved it. If you haven't already done so, you should read his first novel "Cutting for Stone".  Another wonderful story.

• Like 1
On 9/16/2023 at 4:39 PM, isalicat said:

Circling back around to strongly recommending the "Department Q" series by Jussi Adler-Olsen. This is an incredible set of murder mysteries that just gets better book by book (so start at the beginning if possible with The Keeper of Lost Causes), all set in Denmark. I'm halfway through book 7 (The Scarred Woman) presently. These are very adult and a little gruesome (not at all "cozy") and absolutely brilliant.

It took me a while, but I picked up The Keeper of Lost Causes at my local library, I'm halfway through, and I'm totally engrossed!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

It took me a while, but I picked up The Keeper of Lost Causes at my local library, I'm halfway through, and I'm totally engrossed!

Oh....they only get better....incredible series. Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

I’m currently reading two older books:

Katharine Graham’s autobiography — Personal History. I only just got to her marriage to Phil Graham, but the descriptions of newspaper organization and atmosphere are really fascinating to me — particularly since I wrote for a paper for years.

I’m also rereading Far From the Madding Crowd. It’s been a while, but I came across a beautifully bound hardcover copy and that inspired me to pick it up. It’s putting me in a classics kind of mood, so I’ll have to dig through old favorites for what to read next.

• Like 5
On 3/21/2024 at 9:51 PM, AgathaC said:

I’m currently reading two older books:

I’m also rereading Far From the Madding Crowd. It’s been a while, but I came across a beautifully bound hardcover copy and that inspired me to pick it up. It’s putting me in a classics kind of mood, so I’ll have to dig through old favorites for what to read next.

I have not reread this, but I recently watched both movie versions, both excellent. I did instead read for the first time The Return of the Native. It’s kind of a slog.  Hardy is not at his best here.  It’s an unrealistic melodrama with cipher characters and overwrought language. 

• Like 2

Currently reading Broken Code by Jeff Horwitz.  All about Facebook.
100 pages in.  This is a really large, multinational company.  Employees are rewarded for just getting code out the door, resulting in a surprising failure to really understand the impact on the end product. ☹️

On 3/19/2024 at 9:45 AM, tennisgurl said:

Silver Nitrate by Silvia Moreno-Garcia was a really good read, it combined a lot of things that I am fascinated by (mysticism, old cinema, cursed films) and both of the leads were flawed but likable. Mexican Gothic is still my favorite book by her though. 

Reading it and enjoying so far! I enjoy reading and watching stuff about Hollywood's golden age, Sunset Boulevard is one of my all time favorite films, so it's cool to learn about the history of Mexican cinema, which I know nothing about.

• Like 3

James by Percival Everett: Could not put it down. The hype is real. And for those that hated the climax of the original novel with Tom Sawyer’s stupid stunt, you’ll be happy know this version that it goes in a very different direction.

Spoiler

This isn’t the first retelling that had Huck be biracial/unwittingly passing, and it checks, but having Jim turn out to be his bio dad? Did not see that coming.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

James by Percival Everett: Could not put it down. The hype is real. And for those that hated the climax of the original novel with Tom Sawyer’s stupid stunt, you’ll be happy know this version that it goes in a very different direction.

Reveal spoiler

This isn’t the first retelling that had Huck be biracial/unwittingly passing, and it checks, but having Jim turn out to be his bio dad? Did not see that coming.

I just heard about that book and I really want to read it!  It's been forever since I read Huckleberry Finn -- should I re-read that first?

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I just heard about that book and I really want to read it!  It's been forever since I read Huckleberry Finn -- should I re-read that first?

You can, but you don’t have to. Like I said, the novel goes in its own direction about halfway through.

• Like 1

I have put in a request for James at my library -- they haven't even ordered it yet!  But that will probably put me very high on the reserve list.

(edited)

I got The Blues Brothers: An Epic Friendship, the Rise of Improv, and the Making of an American Film Classic by Daniel de Visé for my birthday. It’s a good read, though reading about Belushi’s downward spiral breaks my heart. There were anecdotes about the making of the movie that even didn’t know about; reviews trashed the movie and unfairly accused them of exploiting Black artists. Fine, they were white guys that probably had no business being in a blues band, but they damn well respected both the music and not only gave credit to the original artists and encouraged all their fans to buy their music. Also thought it was unfair that critics dissed their singing abilities. Even if they weren’t professional musicians, they were still pretty good.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 6
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

though reading about Belushi’s downward spiral breajs my heart.

A few years ago, I was on an SNL binge and was reading about Belushi and Farley. I read a lot of pretty depressing nonfiction, but I finally just had to stop. It was too sad.

• Sad 2

Does anyone here read Sherrilyn Kenyon? I do, or rather, did up until a few years ago, and before I go further, I need to if there are any others here who do, because I seriously need to VENT. Out of sheer boredom, I got Styxx and am suffering rage blackout here.

3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Does anyone here read Sherrilyn Kenyon? I do, or rather, did up until a few years ago, and before I go further, I need to if there are any others here who do, because I seriously need to VENT. Out of sheer boredom, I got Styxx and am suffering rage blackout here.

I've not heard of this author previously but since I am always up for good new reading material (and have got some great recommendations here!), I looked her up and wow has she written a lot of novels! Impressively prolific, but it may be a genre that is sorta borderline for me: is it fantasy historical romance/adventure stuff or am I wrong?

1 minute ago, isalicat said:

I've not heard of this author previously but since I am always up for good new reading material (and have got some great recommendations here!), I looked her up and wow has she written a lot of novels! Impressively prolific, but it may be a genre that is sorta borderline for me: is it fantasy historical romance/adventure stuff or am I wrong?

It’s paranormal- she used the Greek God pantheon as she studied and researched that subject. And with her own twist on them. They are not easy reads- she delves into rape and abuse. Her characters are tortured, but I love learning about Greek mythology that I don’t know/didn’t learn in the classes I took. But her writing Styxx’s story? It feels like an insult, in trying to redeem him.

Basically three categories: Dark Hunters, Dream Hunters, and Weres.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

A name I have not heard in a hot minute.  I read the first five of her Dark Hunters series back around 2008.  I remember liking the Greek Mythology background, but thought the vampire lore got shoe-horned in probably because at the time that was really hot what with Laurell K Hamilton and Christine Feehan.  The only one I really liked was the 4th book.  The rest were underwhelming.  By the time I read the 5th book, I realized she just wasn't the writer for me.

• Useful 1

I was excited about the new mystery How to Solve Your Own Murder by Kristen Perrin, but the main character refers to herself multiple times in the first few chapters as her great-aunt's benefactor when she means beneficiary. I think it's something that got missed in editing rather than a deliberate choice since she says this in front of various characters--including a lawyer--and no one corrects her. I'm just surprised something like that got missed.

• Like 3
On 3/25/2024 at 7:59 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Hide contents

I listened to the audio of this over the weekend, and I agree the hype is real.  Out of the 5 Percival Everett books I have read I would rank this at #2 right behind The Trees.  

• Like 2
(edited)
On 3/25/2024 at 7:59 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Reveal spoiler

Dwight Garner gave it an excellent, well-written review in the Sunday NYT Book Review this past Sunday.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Like 3
(edited)

I've added James to my to-read list! Thanks for the recommendation!

I'm currently reading Vanessa Chan's The Storm We Made about the Japanese occupation of Malaysia during WWII. It's not an easy read but is very good so far. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, Zella said:

I've added James to my to-read list! Thanks for the recommendation!

I'm currently reading Vanessa Chan's The Storm We Made about the Japanese occupation of Malaysia during WWII. It's not an easy read but is very good so far. 

Ooh I read that. And you are right in thinking it’s not an easy read. Just wait til the ending.

• Like 2
On 3/29/2024 at 5:17 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Interestingly I think I read Acheron and a redemption arc for Styxx sounds like something she would do.  If my memory isn’t gone she also wrote medieval stuff under another name and there was one book series that ended with the evil stepmonster immediately forgiven and redeemed because “she sewed him a banner with her own hands and she’s sorry now”.  I understand the rage blackout.

(edited)
17 hours ago, Caoimhe said:

Interestingly I think I read Acheron and a redemption arc for Styxx sounds like something she would do.  If my memory isn’t gone she also wrote medieval stuff under another name and there was one book series that ended with the evil stepmonster immediately forgiven and redeemed because “she sewed him a banner with her own hands and she’s sorry now”.  I understand the rage blackout.

I finished it and it was a fucking insult to Ash's story. Full Stop. Period.

Not to mention the torture. I mean

rape, rape, rape, abuse, rape, rape of Styxx

. Sherrilyn has this incessant need to redeem all the fucking villians, which I just cannot STAND. She started with Stryker; now Styxx. 

Watch. Next she'll redeem Noir and Azure.

She knows (I've met her several times at signings, and she's also signed books for my honest critiques) and she's a wonderful person, that I cannot STAND Nick after what she did to him and his clearly unfair hate of Ash. And that Ash continues to wear a hairshirt to appease his whiny ass.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 1
(edited)

101 Healthiest Food for Kids by Sally Kuzemchak.   It goes through each food and tells why it is healthy.  There are a few recipes, but not many.  At the end there are a few top ten lists.  She also apparently has a blog.  

Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat by Samin Nosrat.  It’s more a “talking about the elements” vs. recipes.  There are recipes, but many are sort of “free form” (use these elements, try these techniques).  I like the hand drawn illustrations.  I find them interesting and informative.  

Simple Pasta by Odette Williams.  It’s mostly pasta recipes, but not just pasta recipes.  It starts off with a few basic homemade pasta making recipes, then sauces and pestos, then follows with dishes that incorporate pasta.  The recipes are grouped according to seasons of the year.  With most recipes, the author, will suggest a homemade pasta at the front of the book (and I am e-reading, so there is also a handy link), with all recipes the author also says store bought pasta is good as well, and with some recipes, even recommends it.  The dishes seem interesting and fun and fairly simple.  

The Complete Salad Cookbook by America’s Test Kitchen.  I want to incorporate more veggies into my diet for healthier eating, but this book is “too much”.  I need something less hefty and less complicated. 

Edited by Scatterbrained
  • Like 2

Let's talk Amor Towles.  His new book of short stories (Table for Two) is out, timed to go along with the TV debut of A Gentleman in Moscow.  I didn't like the latter book, but I'm enjoying the book of short stories and the Moscow TV show.  I also liked his book The Lincoln Highway.  I don't know what it was about the Moscow book, which so many loved.  It just dragged for me. 

• Like 3

I'm picking up Table for Two at the library today! The Lincoln Highway is the only other book I've read of his, and I did love that one. I wanted to read A Gentleman in Moscow before the TV series came out, but I'm still on the waitlist for that one. Hearing the show is great so far.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I don't know what it was about the Moscow book, which so many loved.  It just dragged for me. 

I found the premise so farfetched that I couldn't really get into it. I've read way too much Soviet history to suspend my disbelief. 

• Like 1

I'm 1/3 of the way into The Spy Coast by Tess Gerritsen. It takes place in Maine, featuring friends who are retired from the CIA. They're trying to figure out who is trying to kill Maggie, the main character (the ghosts of her past have returned). 

On 7/31/2023 at 6:56 PM, Zella said:

I was wondering the same thing too. I think a one-book per season adaptation would have been a better decision for Three Pines and would work better for this than trying to do multiple books. Granted, I've only read one book so far for this one but still

I am also interested in seeing what route they go with his disability. I looked him up and the actor has dysplasia in his arm. I don't know if they'll add that to the scoliosis or substitute it. 

I've only read the first book, but in it, a woman does tell him that he's handsomer than he acts like he is. But she also isn't attracted to him at all. I don't really picture characters as I read, but I assumed that meant he wasn't bad-looking on his own merits but was not leading man levels of handsome. 

image.png.23eea5aac4d6d07521a464437e606cbf.png

• Like 2
22 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

image.png.23eea5aac4d6d07521a464437e606cbf.png

Thanks for posting this!  I am looking forward to it.  I hope they don't screw it up.  I remember so looking forward to "Three Pines" and the adaptation of the book series was fairly abysmal.

I just finished reading C.J. Sansom's Tombland.  I enjoyed it overall, even if I thought it was a bit too long.  While I appreciate historical detail, I do feel like some of the details about Kett's Rebellion could have been shortened.

I know that Sansom has had some health issues.  But on the internet there is a description of an upcoming book 8, Ratcliff, and a small summary.  I can't find any further information or whether this book is still in progress or if his health issues have precluded it.

I also just finished Peril at the Exposition by Nev March.  This is book 2 in a series that started with "Murder in Old Bombay".  This time, the couple Jim and Diana have gotten married and moved to America.  They were in Boston when Jim (who is working as a spy/operative/detective or something) gets sent to Chicago to investigate the disappearance of another agent and the death of a Pinkerton detective.  The 1893 World's Columbian Exposition is occuring there.  Jim disappears and Diana goes to find him.

I absolutely hated the first book in this series.  HATED.  It was too much romance and too little mystery.  This book wasn't quite so hateable, but I found it particularly boring.  For a book with its setting as the 1893 Chicago World's Fair, I was amazed at how little of the fair was incorporated.  Characters visit briefly and there are throwaway descriptions, but that's about it.

I really thought this book was going to be a mystery set during the World's Fair and that we would get lots of descriptions of the various booths and exhibits.  Instead, the book seemed to mainly be about an anarchist plot involving bombs that just happened to have the fair in the background.  Really disappointing.  The book was also way too long and could have used an editor.  

The third book in this series is set on a cruise ship.  I really want to read it and like it but given the track record of this author, I am prepared to be disappointed.

On 3/10/2024 at 8:12 AM, Mindthinkr said:

I read James Patterson’s The Horsewoman. As a former equestrian I think he did a fair job of getting a lot of the facts about horse shows correct, adding a subplot or two that fit into his story, but the ending was hokey. Too down pat and unbelievable. I almost feel as he got to a certain number of pages and then explored the quickest way to tie it all up. I enjoyed it overall, but he lost me the last 100 or so pages. 

It's James Patterson, I doubt he had anything to do with this book besides put his name on it and take a large percentage of the actual author's profits.  I'm kind of over James Patterson and his claim that he is the "World's Most Popular Storyteller" when he doesn't write 95% of the books that he takes credit for.  The co-author writes the entire book and yet he gets top billing.

Why pretend?  Why can't he have his own pubishing house where the authors publish the books as the sole author but they are from "the James Patterson Publishing House".  Like a stamp of approval by him, like Oprah's Book Club or Reese's club or whatever.  It just kind of disgusts me how he takes credit for all these books that he doesn't write.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
On 4/17/2024 at 6:03 PM, Zella said:

Thank you for posting this! I hadn't heard anything about a release date. 

I didn’t even know it was being filmed, started reading these a long time ago so I’m looking forward to this!

• Like 1

I have been reading James Clavell's Tai-Pan: Book One (1999). It is set somewhere around the period, where the English began their Opium Wars with China, and follows the adventures of Dirk Struan - a smuggler-slash pirate-slash merchant wanting to be on top of everybody else, but running in to some financial trouble, and is forced to seek aid from local pirate and slum lords for funding...

Spoiler

The part where I stopped today was about people getting ready for the big beauty pageant organized by Dirk to celebrate the founding of Honkong...

That's the general premise of it. Forty or so pages left until the end. I don't know, as I'd rate his previous book "Shogun" an 8 or 9 out of 10, this one I'd rate a 6 or 7 out of 10. More or less the same as "Shogun", but is very drama centred; almost no action whatsoever.

P.S. I also have been reading some older DC (1987-2008 currently) and Marvel (1962-1966 currently) comics, but I doubt that this is a place to post my impressions on them :D

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Wow. I had no idea. Thanks for informing me. 

My understanding is that he writes a general outline of the plot.  Then the co-author writes almost everything.  He probably reads it and perhaps makes some edits, but it seems the actual writing is almost entirely done by the co-author.  He puts both their names on it.  With his name on it, it is almost guaranteed to sell well.  I am very curious about the profit split, but we will probably not ever be privy to how those negotiations work.

I guess for the co-author, it works, because otherwise the co-author may not have been able to get a book contract.  So for a newbie author, it's a matter of giving him a large portion of profits or not getting published at all.

What I'm wondering is that some of these people have been co-authors with him for years and years and have many books now with him.  Can't they break off on their own and secure their own contract?  I wonder if there are provisions in the contract that Patterson signs with each co-author that prevent that.

I find it disingenuous that he continues to insist that he is the world's most prolific author when he actually doesn't do the writing.  I suppose in his mind if he edited one paragraph in the book, that's enough to justify that he "co-wrote" it.  I suppose his ego won't allow the co-author's name to be listed first.

The only books that he seems to solo write alone are the Alex Cross books.

13 minutes ago, Rushmoras said:

I have been reading James Clavell's Tai-Pan: Book One (1999). It is set somewhere around the period, where the English began their Opium Wars with China, and follows the adventures of Dirk Struan - a smuggler-slash pirate-slash merchant wanting to be on top of everybody else, but running in to some financial trouble, and is forced to seek aid from local pirate and slum lords for funding...

Reveal spoiler

The part where I stopped today was about people getting ready for the big beauty pageant organized by Dirk to celebrate the founding of Honkong...

That's the general premise of it. Forty or so pages left until the end. I don't know, as I'd rate his previous book "Shogun" an 8 or 9 out of 10, this one I'd rate a 6 or 7 out of 10. More or less the same as "Shogun", but is very drama centred; almost no action whatsoever.

P.S. I also have been reading some older DC (1987-2008 currently) and Marvel (1962-1966 currently) comics, but I doubt that this is a place to post my impressions on them :D

I've long wanted to read James Clavell.  As a kid I always looked at my dad's copy of Shogun and thought that one day I would read it.  Still have yet to do so, I'm probably turned off by the extreme length.  Too much to read, too little time!

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
3 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I've long wanted to read James Clavell.  As a kid I always looked at my dad's copy of Shogun and thought that one day I would read it.  Still have yet to do so, I'm probably turned off by the extreme length.  Too much to read, too little time!

Oh, yes, his books are very lengthy. I'd say it takes me up to a month to finish one ~500 pages book for me these days (if there are no interruptions; but since generally there are [interruptions] - it takes even longer. I think I began to read it in January, and now it's almost middle of April lol).

• Like 1

I just read Dragon Heist by Alexander Kane and it was a fun, fun ride.

It is exactly what it says, a heist book with Dragons!  The main character is a washed up former child star named Birdie Binkowitz who works for her dad in his store hilariously called 'Binkowitz Seed and Feed And Bagels'

When she was a 'star' she was a major asshole.  Now she is super snarky and just a little mean and has been banned from every bar in the greater metro area.   In this world, Dragons are like mafia clans who own and control territory.  In this book we meet a lone Dragon named Jim who wants to take over Tuscaloosa from a bigger and meaner clan of dragons.  He inveigles Birdie into helping him in heist to steal some of the horde of a dragon he has a beef with. 

In true heist story fashion, they assemble a crew and plan their theft.  The story has a huge humor quotient, especially Birdie.  Also it takes place in Alabama and Jim just wants to be a local and root for the home team, Roll Tide!

I listened on audio and the narrator was fantastic.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I just read Dragon Heist by Alexander Kane and it was a fun, fun ride.

It is exactly what it says, a heist book with Dragons!  The main character is a washed up former child star named Birdie Binkowitz who works for her dad in his store hilariously called 'Binkowitz Seed and Feed And Bagels'

When she was a 'star' she was a major asshole.  Now she is super snarky and just a little mean and has been banned from every bar in the greater metro area.   In this world, Dragons are like mafia clans who own and control territory.  In this book we meet a lone Dragon named Jim who wants to take over Tuscaloosa from a bigger and meaner clan of dragons.  He inveigles Birdie into helping him in heist to steal some of the horde of a dragon he has a beef with. 

In true heist story fashion, they assemble a crew and plan their theft.  The story has a huge humor quotient, especially Birdie.  Also it takes place in Alabama and Jim just wants to be a local and root for the home team, Roll Tide!

I listened on audio and the narrator was fantastic.

I've never heard of this, but it sounds awesome! I'm a sucker for a good heist story. 

• Like 1

Yeah, it is really fun. 

I was listening on my earbud and I think I cackled out loud during one scene in Target and a person looked at me like they were sure I was about do something crazy.

It was a scene where the mean  dragon, Ajax Nightwhisper, was trying to intimidate Birdie into abandoning Jim and he had her arrested (the Dragons had some cops in their pockets...)

So she gets arrested:

After about forty-five minutes of heading east, I ask the officer,

"Where are we going?  Mississippi?'

He didn't answer.

"What's your name, Cop?'

"Ms Binkowitz, it is in your best interest to keep quiet."

"If you won't tell me, I'm just gonna call you Officer Binkowitz."

"That's not my name Ms. Binkowitz."

"It is now, Officer Binkowitz. We're kin now.  Your and me, we're mishpachah."

"Stop Talking."

"Binkowitz!"  I said.

"That's not an insult; It's your own name."

"And it's yours, too, now, cousin!"

"Shut up!"

LOL. 

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Yeah, it is really fun. 

I was listening on my earbud and I think I cackled out loud during one scene in Target and a person looked at me like they were sure I was about do something crazy.

It was a scene where the mean  dragon, Ajax Nightwhisper, was trying to intimidate Birdie into abandoning Jim and he had her arrested (the Dragons had some cops in their pockets...)

So she gets arrested:

LOL. 

Bahahaha that's great! Your description of the dragon wanting to blend in with the locals and root for Bama was cracking me up before a Zoom meeting. 

I wonder if any rogue dragons want to adopt my poor long-suffering Razorbacks and become a Hogs fan. We need all the help we can get. 😂

• Like 1

I've started reading James, and was about to quit* and throw it across the room at Chapter 9, when they were "baling water" out of the canoe -- repeatedly.  I don't believe it was a deliberate error, and I can't believe that Mr. Everett doesn't know the difference between baling and bailing. so I'm mad at his editors and proofreaders.  Such an easy error to fix!  

*Of course I'm not going to quit an otherwise (so far) excellent book because of one repeated, egregious error.  I would quit a mediocre or bad book because of it, though.

But I still want to know how, exactly, does one "bale" water.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 2