Type keyword(s) to search

What Are We Currently Reading?

Rick Kitchen
  • Start Topic

Thanks to a discussion on Nora's FB page, I've jumped back into a re-read of Chasing Fire, about Zulies/Smoke jumpers.

I'd forgotten how GOOD this one is. You can tell Nora did her research on this. Hell, she's great at that.

I love Gull and Rowan's relationship. Back in the olden days of Nora's message board, I was known and proudly held the title of "Hero Hog" because I was quick to claim the Heroes as "MINE!"  😝

Even Christine Feehan (who I had the privilege to meet and have lunch with at the TTP Brunch back in 2004), wrote a poem for me.

Whaaat? Is it MY fault that Nora writes such relatable, REAL characters, especially Heroes?

All this to say, I just LOVE 🥰😍😍Gull🥰😍🥰 (short for Gulliver) here.

And Nora has done a great job with the subplot of Lucas and Ella's romance. Lucas is Rowan's dad, who used to be a smoke jumper himself.

As always, the dialogue is how REAL people talk, which makes Nora THE BEST and NUMERO UNO for me, and why I can, mostly hand wave away when she rushes or whiffs an ending. Whether she's writing under Nora or JD Robb.

Just not with numbers*, Hee!

*She really gets the square footage wrong when describing size of B&Bs etc. I mean, a Three story home from the Civil War Era in MD (The Silhouette MacKade series), and has Rafe saying he wants to turn it into a B&B and is 1200 square feet. Really? My ONE bedroom apartment is 900. It cracks me up because Nora's hubby is a carpenter.

Herc by Phoenicia Rogerson—WHEW. Any true Greek mythology buff is aware that Heracles/Hercules was far from the “glad” in gladiator** and this novel does not hide from every messy bit of him. 

**Oh come on, I HAD to do it! 😂😂😂

• LOL 1

The Guest by Emma Cline is a hot book of the summer.  About a young woman grifter who hides out in the Hamptons. It’s very existential and bleak. Not gossipy beach read.  It’s a modern version of Cheever’s The Swimmer.  

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
24 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

The Guest by Emma Cline is a hot book of the summer.  About a young woman grifter who hides out in the Hamptons. It’s very existential and bleak. Not gossipy beach read.  It’s a modern version of Cheever’s The Swimmer.  

I'd been wondering about this one since I noticed it on our new shelf at the library where I work. 

After watching "A Small Light," I decided to re-read "The Diary of Anne Frank."  It had been years since I read it and when I last read it, I was closer to Anne's age than the adults.  I remember feeling so sorry for Anne while I rolled my eyes at the adults.  Re-reading it, now I'm closer to the age of the adults in the Secret Annex, and I felt more sorry for the adults than I did when I read it as a teenager.  They were trying to keep everyone safe, including the office workers.  Trying to keep what hope they could find alive.  
It's still one of the most difficult books I've ever read since I know how Anne's story ends.  She had so much hope for the future.  
I do wish they had found Margot's diary and published it as well since I wondered, while reading Anne's, what was Margot thinking and feeling while experiencing the same events.   I know there are stories that Otto had both diaries, but decided to publish Anne's since she wanted to be the writer.  

Edited by Lisa418722
  • Like 5
7 hours ago, Lisa418722 said:

After watching "A Small Light," I decided to re-read "The Diary of Anne Frank."  It had been years since I read it and when I last read it, I was closer to Anne's age than the adults.  I remember feeling so sorry for Anne while I rolled my eyes at the adults.  Re-reading it, now I'm closer to the age of the adults in the Secret Annex, and I felt more sorry for the adults than I did when I read it as a teenager.  They were trying to keep everyone safe, including the office workers.  Trying to keep what hope they could find alive.  
It's still one of the most difficult books I've ever read since I know how Anne's story ends.  She had so much hope for the future.  
I do wish they had found Margot's diary and published it as well since I wondered, while reading Anne's, what was Margot thinking and feeling while experiencing the same events.   I know there are stories that Otto had both diaries, but decided to publish Anne's since she wanted to be the writer.  

I didn't know Otto also had Margot's diary. I wonder if he really did. I can't imagine he wouldn't have published Margot's after seeing how well Anne's diary did. I wonder if Margot would have wanted it published. I'd love to read her take on their experiences. She and Anne are so different. It would have been interesting to read. I wish she got to be the midwife in Israel like she wanted and Anne a writer. 

Edited by andromeda331
  • Like 4
On 6/7/2023 at 10:46 AM, Scatterbrained said:

I just finished On Fire Island by Jane L. Rosen.  In my mind, it is a bit like the play “Our Town” by Thornton Wilder; a modern day, upper middle class New Yorker, intellectual version.  It should be noted (trigger warning!) that the main character/narrator is recently deceased due to cancer.  She tells a bit about her life and the lives of her family, neighbors and friends before she succumbed to cancer, but the primary story (or stories) are about what happens after.  The way it is presented, I think of it as “life after life” vs. life after death.  

The way the book is structured, most chapters read like a short story, with an overall theme, usually signified by the chapter title, and a definitive conclusion.  For this reason, I think it makes a good book to have on hand when you want to have something to read to stave off momentary boredom.  You can read it in bits and pieces.  It’s a Reader’s Digest of a novel!  :)

I did not zip through this one, but I enjoyed reading it, and laughed out loud in some parts.  I recommend it.

Coming back this old post:  thanks for mentioning Our Town in relation to this. Our Town also makes up the central theme of Anne Patchett’s new book Tom Lake

• Like 1
On 6/12/2023 at 10:00 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

I just read a new (to me) author, Jane L. Rosen.  Nine Women, One Dress was a very entertaining page turner:  Judith Krantz meets Elinor Lipman meets The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.  I will be seeking out more by her.  She's got a new summer read out, On Fire Island.  And others to track down. 

I read On Fire Island first, and then I read Nine Women, One Dress.  I felt that Nine Women, One Dress might have been inspired by the movie Love Actually.  Instead of London, you have New York.  Instead of an airport, you have Bloomingdale’s.  The various characters have lives that intersect, some more directly than others….

I tried to read Yellowface but I couldn’t finish it because all the characters are arses and I have enough of that IRL.  

I recently read The Year of Second Chances by Lara Avery.  It’s about a young widow finding her second act.  It’s based around the use of a dating app, but it’s not really a romance novel.

I also recently read Miss Fleming Falls in Love by Emma Melbourne as a free Amazon Kindle Prime free read.  It was much better than most of their offerings.  It was an 1820s English romance.  VERY PG rated.

• Like 2
On 7/11/2023 at 3:37 PM, Minneapple said:

I have Yellowface on my list but I'm actually a bit hesitant as I wasn't too enamored of RF Kuang's other book, Babel.

I just finished Happy Place by Emily Henry. Her Book Lovers is one of my favorite chick lit/romcom books of all time so I had high hopes but honestly I was a bit let down by Happy Place. I thought it was kind of boring. The characters felt flat. And the friends were annoying. I haven't read Beach Read yet but I'll probably still give it a try.

I read Happy Place and finished it.  I loved the gang gathering and their memories.  I HATED the individual angsts of the main couple and didn’t care whether or not they had an HEA.

• Like 1

I rage quit Yellowface. I just couldn’t take the main character. 

Hello Beautiful. I don’t get it. Maybe because I don’t revere Little Women, but it just wasn’t good.

For funsies, I read Helen Tursten’s An Elderly Woman Is Up to No Good and the sequel. Nothing earth-shattering, but they made me laugh.

The House of Eve was great, but also, I’m tired of books about motherhood. I feel like I’m not reading enough books where women aren’t defined by their relationships with children or men.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

@BlackberryJam I thought I'd try Hello, Beautiful and put it on my library list.  I will report back when finished.  I think she is one of those authors that sells a lot of books but isn't really that good a writer.  Another example of this type of author is Taylor Jenkins Reid.  I tried one of her books and couldn't finish. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 9/10/2023 at 10:03 PM, BlackberryJam said:

For funsies, I read Helen Tursten’s An Elderly Woman Is Up to No Good and the sequel. Nothing earth-shattering, but they made me laugh.

I've read a couple of Tursten's Elderly Woman stories in EQMM, I had no idea they were compiled into collections.  I must check out my library system for availability.

• Like 2

I'm reading two books. One is "The Kingdom of Prep: The Inside Story of the Rise and (Near) Fall by Maggie Bullock. I saw this at the library, and I knew I had to read it being such a lover of fashion and fashion history.

The other book I'm reading is "Still Laughing: A Life in Comedy (From the Creator of Laugh-In) by George Schlatter. Laugh-In is a bit before my time, but Mr. Schlatter is pretty much a legend and I like his memoir so far. A publicist from LA sent me a copy.

I’m reading Scattershot by Bernie Taupin. It’s a bit all over the place, but there’s still some good and snarky stories about all the other celebrities he and Elton ran into all these years. He didn’t think much of Hugh Hefner and his impression of the Playboy Mansion? “What a dump.” 

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

I agree about Taylor Jenkins Reid.  She’s awful.  I listened to Daisy Jones and the Six during a long car ride.  It was highly recommended and I saw that there was a cast doing the voices.  I thought it was awful.  Extremely repetitive on some points (missing the birth).  And ridiculously unrealistic on others (hard drug rehab was a very short amount of time and then he was “all fixed”).  I tried a few others.  The writing seemed even worse when I had to read it.  DNF!

I just finished Trail of the Lost: The Relentless Search to Bring Home the Missing Hikers of the Pacific Crest Trail by Andrea Langford.  It’s not the kind of book I normally read and I moved quickly through it.  So, I feel that it is well written.  I do feel the way the book is titled and officially described is a bit misleading.  The reasons why are spoiler-y so, I’ll hide them: 

Spoiler

The description makes it seem like the disappearances are related.  They are not.  The only commonality is that they were on the trail and disappeared the same year.  And also, a few of the same people were searching for them, which was more of a happenstance, due to time and place.

The description also makes it seem like they were found, or what happened to them became known.  This is not at all true.

I still think it does a good job of describing the trail - it’s beauties and dangers, trail life - it’s pluses and minuses, and the people involved in the trail communities, and the people involved in these particular search and rescue operations.  A lot of light was shed on these subjects.  

It was an entertaining read for someone like me, who isn’t even an armchair enthusiast, and would be an informative read for someone who might be considering making the trek someday.  

Something I realized after the fact, is that a lot of the women involved are around my age.  That’s inspiring.  Go Middle-Aged Girl Power!  :)

While I enjoyed the book, I was not happy that: 

Spoiler

Another searcher asks if the author for is quitting the search now that the book is completed and the author states that she intends to stay, but then gives a bunch of reasons why she probably won’t.  

One one hand,  I get it, it’s a very intense thing physically and emotionally.  On the other hand, it makes it seem like she only wanted to get a book out of the experience and now she’s done but doesn’t want to be judged for it.

Edited by Scatterbrained
  • Like 4

Can I brag a bit? A couple of months ago I wrote a review of journalist Christopher Zara's memoir, "Uneducated: A Memoir of Flunking Out, Falling Apart, and Finding My Worth" at my blog. Well, guess who sent me an email thanking me for my positive review? Yep, Christopher Zara. He also shared a snapshot from my review on his Instagram page. We're now following each other on Instagram.

• Like 8
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1

One Hit Wonders of Regency Romance Series

Devil’s Bride by Stephanie Lauren’s (Cynster series)- This is the first book of the series and the only interesting one, IMO.  The male love interest is arrogant, but charming.  The female love interest is not your typical heroine.  She has dreams and ambitions that don’t include getting married.  They have an interesting “ruinous meet cute”.  It seems rather plausible as far as these types of books go.  Meeting the family and learning its’ history was interesting.  The future mother-in-law who is welcoming and helpfully turns a blind eye to certain improprieties was amusing.  The mystery was engaging and didn’t just feel like filler.  The seduction scenes were steamy and made sense.  There was interesting banter.  Consent was very important to this seductive alpha-male main character.

The characters and storylines in other books of the series are weak, and sometimes seem like a rip-off of other books that were popular when these were being written.  Many story lines are highly improbable.  Other male characters just seem dominatingly seductive and not so charming.  The seduction scenes in these other books are very florid (lots of calling and answering of souls on a higher plane) and tend to have a weird staccato rhythm.  Also, sometimes they don’t make sense, as in the characters are in one position, and next they are doing things not possible in that position.  

I’ve read the first book more than once, I’ve painfully gotten through or DNFed some the others.

The Duke Who Loved Me by Jane Ashford (The Duke’s Estates) - one of the things that I enjoyed about this books is that the characters were a bit different than what you generally find in this genre.  She is an independent female, but mainly because she has to be.  She is mostly neglected by her dysfunctional family.  He is a duke, but was the only son of a second son.  He has been an orphan for quite some time.  So, not raised in the lifestyle and lacking male role models.  This family was also dysfunctional and the former duke left the estate in complete disarray.  He (the main male character) is written as more of a”typical dude”.   He doesn’t really drink, smoke, gamble, or womanize.  He hangs out with his buddies, does sporty things, and is clueless about romance.

The two main characters have known each other for quite some time, but are more like cordial, distant, acquaintances who sometimes feel sympathetic towards each other than true friends.  

The plot line involves the development of their relationship through their coming of age and increased interactions.  The characters’ and relationship evolution was enjoyable to read.  The seduction scenes are not particularly steamy or blatantly descriptive, but sweet.  

The rest of the series involves the HEA couple traveling around visiting all of the estate holdings that are in disarray while their friends and acquaintances near these other estates develop their own romantic relationships.  I didn’t find any of the other characters and storylines as engaging.  

I will say the other books are worth a skim-through as the original couple in the first book continues to be featured and you can see how their relationship continues to grow.  I need the phantom editor to come in and cut all the other characters and storylines out!

Happy reading!

• Like 2

Circling back around to strongly recommending the "Department Q" series by Jussi Adler-Olsen. This is an incredible set of murder mysteries that just gets better book by book (so start at the beginning if possible with The Keeper of Lost Causes), all set in Denmark. I'm halfway through book 7 (The Scarred Woman) presently. These are very adult and a little gruesome (not at all "cozy") and absolutely brilliant.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, isalicat said:

Circling back around to strongly recommending the "Department Q" series by Jussi Adler-Olsen. This is an incredible set of murder mysteries that just gets better book by book (so start at the beginning if possible with The Keeper of Lost Causes), all set in Denmark. I'm halfway through book 7 (The Scarred Woman) presently. These are very adult and a little gruesome (not at all "cozy") and absolutely brilliant.

I don't think I got to Book 7, but I think I've read through the first 6 and enjoyed them. I tend to like Nordic Noir better than American or British mysteries, though I enjoy them too. 

On 9/16/2023 at 2:13 PM, Zella said:

I don't think I got to Book 7, but I think I've read through the first 6 and enjoyed them. I tend to like Nordic Noir better than American or British mysteries, though I enjoy them too. 

If you can find it, do read Book 7 - its all about Rose. And Book 8 is all about (finally!) Assad.

• Useful 1
3 minutes ago, isalicat said:

If you can find it, do read Book 7 - its all about Rose. And Book 8 is all about (finally!) Assad.

Thanks--that really intrigues me! If I'm not mistaken, I think the author plans to cap it off at Book 10? I tend to get bored with series that just keep going on, so knowing there's a definite ending point in mind also helps for me. 

Just now, Zella said:

Thanks--that really intrigues me! If I'm not mistaken, I think the author plans to cap it off at Book 10? I tend to get bored with series that just keep going on, so knowing there's a definite ending point in mind also helps for me. 

I'm loving this series (both the mysteries that are specific to each book and the incredible character development and relationships of the ongoing principals that make up Department Q) that I would be happy if it continued on, but I get your point.

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, isalicat said:

I'm loving this series (both the mysteries that are specific to each book and the incredible character development and relationships of the ongoing principals that make up Department Q) that I would be happy if it continued on, but I get your point.

Yes I do think it gets richer as it goes along, which isn't always the case! 

I just tend to get overwhelmed by anything that seems never-ending. That goes for TV as much as books. LOL I often cap reading book series at the tenth book, even if they go way beyond that. 

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Zella said:

Yes I do think it gets richer as it goes along, which isn't always the case! 

I just tend to get overwhelmed by anything that seems never-ending. That goes for TV as much as books. LOL I often cap reading book series at the tenth book, even if they go way beyond that. 

I don't cap reading with Michael Connelly, and I read all 25 of Sue Grafton's alphabet series.  But others peter out.  I really got annoyed with the Jeffrey Archer series that kept going recently.  I really got annoyed with the Dean Koontz Jane Hawk series, although it was great at first.  Seemed like he was being paid by the word after a while. 

• Like 3

Finally finished both "The Kingdom of Prep" and "Still Laughing." I really enjoyed both of them and learned so much.

Just picked up "Poverty, By America" by Matthew Desmond. I really liked his previous book "Evicted," which I read and reviewed several years ago. I think I'm going to like his latest a lot. He's an amazing writer who puts so much effort into his books.

1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

California Golden by Melanie Benjamin. Did anyone enjoy this? It’s just three women (mom and two daughters) being horrible to each other. I enjoyed the time period and the setting, but ugh.

I saw this book at my local library. I'm debating whether I want to read it or not.

• Useful 1
On 9/18/2023 at 12:09 PM, EtheltoTillie said:

I don't cap reading with Michael Connelly, and I read all 25 of Sue Grafton's alphabet series.  

Two of my all-time faves.

On 9/18/2023 at 12:09 PM, EtheltoTillie said:

But others peter out.  

They sure do, I recently crossed James Lee Burke and Joe R. Lansdale off my list.

• Like 1
On 9/10/2023 at 10:03 PM, BlackberryJam said:

I rage quit Yellowface. I just couldn’t take the main character. 

Hello Beautiful. I don’t get it. Maybe because I don’t revere Little Women, but it just wasn’t good.

The House of Eve was great, but also, I’m tired of books about motherhood. I feel like I’m not reading enough books where women aren’t defined by their relationships with children or men.

Yikes! I just finished "Hello Beautiful" and I don't get the glowing reviews. It just repeated itself, over and over. Boring, and characters actions didn't ring true. And I loved Little Women when I was a kid. What a waste of time.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
23 hours ago, SusieQ said:

Yikes! I just finished "Hello Beautiful" and I don't get the glowing reviews. It just repeated itself, over and over. Boring, and characters actions didn't ring true. And I loved Little Women when I was a kid. What a waste of time.

Yikes, I just downloaded from the library after a short wait.  I'll give it a try. 

• Like 1

The Simplicity of Cider — meh

Cassandra in Reverse — nope, and I’m tired of autism being used as a quirky gimmick (which probably applies to Cider, too, though they didn’t announce the diagnosis)

Tell Me Three Things — enjoyable YA book about a 16 year old having to deal with her mother’s death, her father’s surprise remarriage, and a move cross country to a new school and life.  Heavy theme; light touch.  Predictable, but I didn’t mind.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

The Simplicity of Cider — meh

Co-sign.  I don't actually think I finished it, tbh.

I only read it because I actually liked another book of hers I read,  The Coincidence of Coconut Cake which is textbook rom-com but more importantly, I thought it was a love letter to the city of Milwaukee and its food.  Lots of local flavor and color of the city throughout that book,

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I just finished The Breakaway by Jennifer Weiner.  I finished it, but I did not enjoy it.  There were too many “issues” for my liking.  Also, there was too much pointless description (technical bike stuff, barely there background people - I can’t really consider them characters, trail stuff).  It all seemed like word count bumps.

Edited by Scatterbrained
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Yikes, I just downloaded from the library after a short wait.  I'll give it a try. 

Please let me know what you think about it. I couldn't get over all the glowing reviews. What the heck was I missing.

• Like 1

I finished Project Hail Mary yesterday.  Loved it even though I did not understand any of the physics or other scientific explanations.  (Just handwave and go with it.)  It had taken months to get a copy from the library and was very much worth the wait.  What a thrilling and lovely story about friendship and sacrifice and persistence.  And yes, science being the answer.

I cannot wait to see Rocky in the movie.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
On 9/22/2023 at 5:47 PM, SusieQ said:

Please let me know what you think about it. I couldn't get over all the glowing reviews. What the heck was I missing.

As promised here is my review.  BORING!  I am returning to library after reading first three chapters.  I read a summary and that's enough.  She's just a boring writer.  I don't know how a writer like Ann Patchett can do such a better job with similar material. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 9/22/2023 at 5:03 PM, Scatterbrained said:

I just finished The Breakaway by Jennifer Weiner.  I finished it, but I did not enjoy it.  There were too many “issues” for my liking.  Also, there was too much pointless description (technical bike stuff, barely there background people - I can’t really consider them characters, trail stuff).  It all seemed like word count bumps.

I always read her books for a summer beach read.  But this one was particularly bad. 

Spoiler

And wasn't it clever for her to have worked in the abortion issue so soon after the Supreme Court decision.  A bike ride from NY to Buffalo?.  A perfect way to highlight New York's looser abortion rules.  Christian mother who actually had an abortion?  Of course!  Hot guy who likes fat girl?  Also of course

. I'd have to say that last year's Jennifer Weiner was even worse.  The Covid book where the girl's boyfriend decides he's really gay and hooks up with her uncle.   The side excursion into the father's past where they make you think for too long that he's the boyfriend's father was also excruciating. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 3

I just finished Wrecker by Clive Cussler. It was all about trains and building railroads in the early 20th century. Not my wheelhouse, but it was fast paced, and drew me in. The last 50 pages had me on the edge of my seat so to speak. 

Now I’m reading Hyperbole and A Half by Allie Brosh. It’s in comic book-ish form. I’m not sure what I think about it yet. 

• Like 3
57 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

As promised here is my review.  BORING!  I am returning to library after reading first three chapters.  I read a summary and that's enough.  She's just a boring writer.  I don't know how a writer like Ann Patchett can do such a better job with similar material. 

Thanks for your report. Still don't get why people seem to love it.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Now I’m reading Hyperbole and A Half by Allie Brosh. It’s in comic book-ish form. I’m not sure what I think about it yet. 

I loved her blog back in the day! It was the first blog I followed. I used to have an alot shirt. LOL http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

I've really enjoyed both of her books--for a while, her mental health was too fragile to write, so I am really glad she seems to be doing better--but it is a very specific type of humor.  

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Zella said:

I loved her blog back in the day! It was the first blog I followed. I used to have an alot shirt. LOL http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

I've really enjoyed both of her books--for a while, her mental health was too fragile to write, so I am really glad she seems to be doing better--but it is a very specific type of humor.  

Her God of Cake story will never not be funny.  It's one of those stories I read when I need a laugh and I also think about randomly.  Ditto the one in her second book involving Allie sneaking into her neighbor's house and steal random stuff.

• Like 5
  • Love 1