Type keyword(s) to search

What Are We Currently Reading?

Rick Kitchen
  • Start Topic

On 5/5/2022 at 8:54 AM, Danny Franks said:

Started Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. I didn't really enjoy The Road, thanks to McCarthy's pretentious style, and this promises to be more of the same.

The Road works for what it is. I always say it deserves all the awards it won but I never ever want to read it again. Even my appreciation for a certain amount of artistic nihilism has its limits.

I figure McCarthy's been doing his more literary than thou schtick for years and if you're reading one of his books this far in you sort of know what you're getting into. I was given a stack of his books by a then-boyfriend who was convinced of his genius years and years ago and only attempt one every once in a great while because while he writes great stories reading them always feel like a lot of work. I'm less forgiving of McCarthy's many imitators who seem to have taken his success as permission to also make punctuation and dialogue as difficult as possible to figure out in the name of writing the great Southern niche novel.

• Love 2

I continued my Narnia journey with The Horse and his Boy  which I found entertaining.  I enjoyed reading a Narnia story that was entirely new for me.

Now I am reading A Lady by Midnight by Tessa Dare which is book 3 in the Spindle Cove series.  This book features Corporal Thorne and music teacher Kate.  She is an orphan and the secrets of her past could have serious consequences for her and Thorne. I am a little frustrated with Thorne because he refuses to just speak up about important things but I also feel for him because he clearly doesn’t see himself as worthy of love.  So I kinda want to yell at him but also give him a hug which is probably close to Kate’s feelings, lol.

(edited)

Elektra by Jennifer Saint is a good take on the Trojan War, specifically the Clytemnestra/Elektra tragedy. Anyone that lived A Thousand Ships will definitely love this one. For those that don’t like mythology resettling, you ought to know that it doesn’t really deviate much from the original myth/play, save for

Spoiler

Cassandra’s murder being more of a mercy killing/assisted suicide. Which makes more sense, because why would Clytemnestra care that Agamemnon brought home his sex captive when she spent ten years sleeping with his enemy and plotting to kill him? Not to mention Cassandra was pretty much done with life after predicting and being helpless to stop Troy from falling and most of her family being wiped out. A similar angle was used in A Thousand Shops.

What I liked most was how even though Clytemnestra was 100 percent justified in wanting revenge for Iphigenia, she’s so obsessed with grief and revenge that she neglects her remaining children, and doesn’t realize the damage she’s wrought (or the danger she puts Orestes in) until it’s too late. A mistake that Elektra sadly repeats.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1
(edited)

I finished Shadows Reel, the latest in the long-running Joe Pickett series by C.J. Box.  There are two main storylines.  1) Joe's wife Marybeth receives a Nazi photo album from an anonymous donor at the library, and it brings nothing but trouble.  2) Nate Romanowski is tracking down the guy that stole his falcons and attacked his wife in the previous novel.

This one seemed awfully short, and there wasn't a whole lot of game wardenness in the mystery.  I like this series because of the Wyoming setting and the fact that Joe is a game warden, but this book had very little to do with either.  Still, after so many books in the series, I guess Box wanted a different kind of plot.  It did seem to me almost like this book was written on autopilot or rushed.  Probably not one of the more memorable Joe Picketts, but I still liked it.  One of the things I've really liked about this series is that over the past 20 years or so of this series, the characters actually age, perhaps slightly less than real time, but they still age.  I think he has to be in his early to mid 50s now, his children are growing up and moving out.

I also don't fully understand the title or what it means, it seemed to have very little to do with the plot, but his titles are usually like that.

Edited by blackwing
(edited)

I just finished Funny You Should Ask by Elissa Sussman.  It is about the professional lives and personal growth of two main characters who have a spark between them.  I thought it was a very enjoyable read.  It held my attention, I breezed through it, and it made me happy.

I also finished The Story of Arthur Truluv by Elizabeth Berg.  This is the third novel by Elizabeth Berg that I have read; and, so far, her novels seem to be about people who keep on keepin’ on.  This one reminded me a bit of The Music of Bees (Eileen Garvin).  So, if you have read that one and liked it, you would probably enjoy this one, too.

Edited by Scatterbrained
  • Useful 1
18 hours ago, Scatterbrained said:

This one reminded me a bit of The Music of Bees (Eileen Garvin).

I loved this!  Such a sweet story about finding a family.

• Love 1

I finished Prince Caspian.  I saw the movie years ago and don’t remember it very well. I was surprised that in the book the prince is a child because in the movie they aged him up probably just to give him a romance subplot with Susan.

Now I am reading Artemis by Andy Weir which I find engrossing.  A porter/smuggler named Jazz who lives in a city on the Moon called Artemis has been hired for a job involving illegal sabotage that will make her rich but things go wrong landing her in major danger.  Jazz m can be frustrating and I can understand why the people who love her think she squandered her potential.  Still she’s an engaging narrator and I root for her to survive.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Luckylyn said:

I finished Prince Caspian.  I saw the movie years ago and don’t remember it very well. I was surprised that in the book the prince is a child because in the movie they aged him up probably just to give him a romance subplot with Susan.

Last time I tried to read the Narnia books, I bounced right off them. My taste in writing styles had really moved on. Funny thing. For a long time, even hearing about how preachy they were, I never saw it. Then one day I did. That was probably part of the reason why I turned away from them.

I'm not big on religion, and even less fond of being preached at. On any topic, not just religion. Even if I hadn't quite clicked that I dislike those two subjects, they may still have played a part in turning me off the books.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Anduin said:

Last time I tried to read the Narnia books, I bounced right off them. My taste in writing styles had really moved on. Funny thing. For a long time, even hearing about how preachy they were, I never saw it. Then one day I did. That was probably part of the reason why I turned away from them.

I'm not big on religion, and even less fond of being preached at. On any topic, not just religion. Even if I hadn't quite clicked that I dislike those two subjects, they may still have played a part in turning me off the books.

The books are very much a product if their time.  Reading it with a modern perspective makes that stand out.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Anduin said:

I used to reread the series every few years, but haven't for a while.  The preachiness I can look past, but the inconsistency sort of bothers me.  I thought I read that Lewis wanted to rewrite the series to make it more of a consistent fit, but unfortunately he died before he could.  And while the neoplatonism of The Last Battle resonated with me back then, the ending hits me as kind of weird now.

• Love 1

Just completed: "The Myth of the Lost Cause" pubd in 2015 by Bonnekemper.  This is a historical analysis of the issues surrounding the American Civil War, including:

• Was this a states rights issue, or a desire to save slavery?
  • Was Lee a great military commander?
  • Was Grant an inebriated butcher.
  • Did Longstreet lose Gettysburg?
  • Could the South have won, or forced a stalemate?

The book provides a thorough examination of all of these issues. 

The winners usually command the narrative.  But, in this case, Southern authors, including Generals,  jumped quickly to documenting their side of the story, making this a states rights issue, assessing Lee as a giant, etc. .  It was decades later before Northern authors started presenting the alternatives.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, bmasters9 said:

Another in the Murder, She Wrote mystery book series by Jessica Fletcher and Donald Bain, Murder on the QE2

IMG_20220516_055631_334.thumb.jpg.a97501d24f7751893f6609948b3bfe10.jpg

IMG_20220516_055631_381.thumb.jpg.ff8ad0bb67825e12ed005d4e439d928e.jpg

The hyperbole in that last sentence has me rolling.  I'm picturing the opening scenes of Ghost Ship with "sinks into a sea of blood" and not a cozy-ish mystery.  

• LOL 7
5 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The hyperbole in that last sentence has me rolling.  I'm picturing the opening scenes of Ghost Ship with "sinks into a sea of blood" and not a cozy-ish mystery.  

Well, Jessica Fletcher IS aboard.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

Well, I've finished with my slate of the medieval stories by Johanna and just started the first of the Malory series, though technically it's an Ashton, since Regina's mother was the Malory.

I just absolutely love Anthony in this. Reggie refers to him as a lovable hypocrite, and he admits he is one and doesn't try to deny it or prevaricate from it. 

And I also love Percy. I'll forever be disappointed that he never got his own story--it could have been an anthology. Of course, he's not the fluff-brained idiot who doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut in the first book, that he seemingly turns into by the second or third.

I remember on another board, many moons ago, I had said that the perfect mate for Percy would have been another one was addle-brained as he was, and back then Johanna could make me laugh, and it would have been perfect for him to have someone just like him.

But. I digress. I really love Love Only Once and now I'm up to the part where James returns.

I think 'Onry is my favorite of his crew.

• Love 1

I just finished a book called "The Narrowboat Summer" by Anne Youngson.  The story was fine -- an older woman invites two younger women to drive her narrowboat through the canals of England and deliver it to a boatyard for maintenance while she goes into hospital for a bit.  What really fascinated me, though, was the narrowboat culture/lifestyle and the descriptions of the canals and locks.  It interested me so much that I googled more about it.  

• Love 1

I am halfway through Voyage of the Dawn treader and I find I am getting bored.   I enjoyed the first three books of the Chronicles of Narnia.   I think the most interesting plot was the Eustace/Dragon plot but not enough is done with it.  Plus the inclusion of Aslan can come off as lazy at times.   Of course he’s going to show up at the exact right time and make things okay. It’s getting repetitive.  There are interesting ideas but I feel like not enough is being done with the execution. 

I have reached the end of my re-reading of Nero Wolfe.  The last book A Family Affair was good(ish) but there were a few things about it I really didn't like.  The dismissive attitude towards "women's lib" was an irritant for sure but the main problem for me was I didn't buy the initial clue (a piece of paper with a name on it that ends up in a waiter's hands).  It just seemed flimsy to me and flimsy isn't something I expect from Rex Stout!  That said the ending was powerful so I can overlook a lot for that.

Now I am about to embark on re-reading my Phoebe Atwood Taylor collection.  I adore her series featuring Asey Mayo the Cape Cod sleuth.  Let the madcap fun begin!

• Love 1

I finished Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus last night and abso-freaking-loved it!  It's only my 4th 5-star book of the year and it is a well-deserved 5 star book.

Today, I'll start Adult Assembly Required by Abbi Waxman.  I'm reading it now only because my library hold just came in and I'm not super enthused, but that may be because I'm still coming down from my Lessons in Chemistry high.

I've also got The Good Left Undone by Adriana Trigiani going. It's...good.  There are things about it that I like and think about it I like but am not entirely sure why they are in this book.  I'm withholding judgment until the end, just in case it all comes together in the last pages.

• Useful 1
On 5/13/2022 at 6:49 AM, Luckylyn said:

Now I am reading Artemis by Andy Weir which I find engrossing.  A porter/smuggler named Jazz who lives in a city on the Moon called Artemis has been hired for a job involving illegal sabotage that will make her rich but things go wrong landing her in major danger.  Jazz m can be frustrating and I can understand why the people who love her think she squandered her potential.  Still she’s an engaging narrator and I root for her to survive.

I listened to the audiobook of this several years ago (narrated by Rosario Dawson) and I enjoyed it.  I particularly liked the world-building.  The concept of a colony on the moon was intriguing

I'm currently reading Pirate, the third book of Ted Bell's Alexander Hawke series.  He is a minor British lord that is also a preeminent spy who frequently works with the CIA.  Three books in, and I'm still not entirely sure what to make of this series.  The writing seems a bit disjointed.  Almost like the author has these ideas of cool scenes that he wants to write and then tries to find a way to connect the plot all together.

• Useful 1

I cannot say enough about Sisters of the Vast Black by Lina Rather. It can easily be described as Nuns in Space, but it’s so much more. It’s the first in a series about a religious order of Catholic nuns traveling the universe in a living space ship. Sure that sounds weird, but it’s so well done, without being preachy. It’s a from a purely female perspective. I’ve read the first two in the series and I doubt if I can name even one male character. 

Highly, HIGHLY recommend. The characters are well written, the relationships are real and complicated, all in the backdrop of a past and impending galactic war.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
(edited)

Okay, so Blood Meridian is thoroughly unpleasant to read. Maybe it is literarily worthy, but I would look askance at anyone who said they enjoyed it. Every character is awful (you never get any hint of internal motivation so all you can do is judge their actions), and the callous brutality towards other people and, especially, to animals is a real fucking downer.

Shooting dogs, letting horses die of thirst or beating them to death with rocks, killing and cooking a new-born foal, shooting bulls that randomly decide to attack a large group of men on horseback and more, McCarthy felt the need to include it and cover it in more detail than he ever gives any of the characters.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Shooting dogs, letting horses die of thirst or beating them to death with rocks, killing and cooking a new-born foal, shooting bulls that randomly decide to attack a large group of men on horseback and more, McCarthy felt the need to include it and cover it in more detail than he ever gives any of the characters.

Nope, not going anywhere near that one! I'm one of those people who can handle human characters dying but don't starve an animal, I can't handle it. 

• Love 7

I currently reading "Things Happen" by Christopher Acker, a collection of novellas (they're too long to be considered short stories) where things happen-the death of a child, the shooting of a black man by a police officer, gruesome crime, and trying to cope with life while suffering from depression. I think the next book I read better be a bit more light-hearted.

• Love 1

Today finally read the first part of J. Clavell's "Shogun". All in all, was an enjoyable read; a clash between different cultures and religions were both sides think each side are unwashed barbarians, but manages to look past all this, because they need each other for different reasons. I don't know whether I'll jump in to the second part or continue with the last Witcher book, or look up something else.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, Rushmoras said:

Today finally read the first part of J. Clavell's "Shogun". All in all, was an enjoyable read; a clash between different cultures and religions were both sides think each side are unwashed barbarians, but manages to look past all this, because they need each other for different reasons. I don't know whether I'll jump in to the second part or continue with the last Witcher book, or look up something else.

I went through a Clavell phase in college and really enjoyed his books.  I recommend reading more.  I think my favorite was King Rat.

I just finished The Last Bookshop in London by Madeline Martin.   As WW2 is getting started, Grace moves to London after the death of her mother and a friend gets her a job at a book shop.  It’s a challenge because she’s not a reader, the shop’s a mess and her boss doesn’t want her there.  Over time she falls in love with books and grows to love the bookshop.  The book has a cozy vibe.  The characters experience tragedies and trauma due to the war.  Still, there’s something lovely about the way characters take care of each other and come together.  It’s very wholesome regarding a difficult time.   Part of me wishes it was spicier, but I think overall the book is comforting.

• Love 1

I just finished Riley Thorn and the Corpse in the Closet.  it is a cozy/PI mystery with a very high humor quotient and Riley is a psychic  I love that her favorite tv show is something called Made It Out Alive and the most recent episode was them demonstrating how to survive a livestock stampede.  NGL, if that were a real show, I'd totally watch it.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I just finished Riley Thorn and the Corpse in the Closet.  it is a cozy/PI mystery with a very high humor quotient and Riley is a psychic  I love that her favorite tv show is something called Made It Out Alive and the most recent episode was them demonstrating how to survive a livestock stampede.  NGL, if that were a real show, I'd totally watch it.

You should post this in the Cozy Mysteries: Plucky Heroine Moves Home and Finds Body thread.  Many of us are looking for suggestions.

And, pardon my ignorance, but what does NGL mean?

6 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Thanks for the recommendation, a cozy paranormal mystery is right up my alley.

14 minutes ago, GaT said:

Thanks for the recommendation, a cozy paranormal mystery is right up my alley.

FYI -- That is the second one in the series.  There are three so far, the first is Riley Thorn and the Dead Guy Next Door by Lucy Score.  Fair warning -- there is a little romance in this.  It isn't the focus but it is there.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

FYI -- That is the second one in the series.  There are three so far, the first is Riley Thorn and the Dead Guy Next Door by Lucy Score.  Fair warning -- there is a little romance in this.  It isn't the focus but it is there.

I ordered the first one, I don't mind a little romance 😁

I just finished Jane Green's "Sister Stardust".  You could almost call it historical fiction -- it's based on real events at the Marrakesh house (palace?) of John Paul Getty Jr and his wife Talitha in the late 60s. 

The main character was a young woman, a "country mouse" from Dorset, England, as she reminisces about the time she spent in Marrakesh with the Gettys.  The author obviously didn't know details about the happenings there, but there were some real events woven into the narrative.  I really enjoyed it -- and it made me want to read more about Paul and Talitha.

• Useful 1

I finished The Sliver Chair and so I am almost done with my Chronicles of Narnia Journey.  I thought it was okay.  A few eye roll worthy moments.  

Spoiler

You’ve been held hostage by an enchantress for a decade and finally are free.  When she enters the room do you quickly over power her to stop her from using her powers on you again, pretend to still be under the enchantment to buy time to escape, or just stand there revealing everything and stupidly requesting safe passage from your kidnapper then just stand there while she starts working a spell.

I was amused Puddleglum and his gift of saying the least comforting thing possible.  

I’m reading contemporary romance Fake the Date.  Ben is sick of his mother constantly trying to set him up with women despite the fact he’d come out to his family years ago.  For his sister’s upcoming wedding, she has the idea that he bring a boyfriend and force their parent’s to stop pretending Ben is straight.  So Ben’s roommate  Evan agrees to go to the wedding and be Ben’s fake boyfriend.  Of course romance ensues.  

• Love 3

Nightmare scenario: too many books.  2 books I had on hold at the library came in at the same time.  In addition I have one borrowed book on my Kindle that is overdue for return (not even 50% read) and another on my phone that I won't be able to stop from disappearing (and haven't had time to look at, let alone read).  And I was traveling last week and had a paperback with me for reading at the pool that I'm only halfway through.  (Fortunately I bought that one so I can put it aside for now.)

Of all of these I think I'll read Sea of Tranquility by Emily St John Mandel.  I've been looking forward to it although I disliked The Glass Hotel.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

I’m reading contemporary romance Fake the Date.  Ben is sick of his mother constantly trying to set him up with women despite the fact he’d come out to his family years ago.  For his sister’s upcoming wedding, she has the idea that he bring a boyfriend and force their parent’s to stop pretending Ben is straight.  So Ben’s roommate  Evan agrees to go to the wedding and be Ben’s fake boyfriend.  Of course romance ensues.  

Decades of reading romance novels have caused me to be vaguely disappointed that I'm now in my forties and have never had to fake or hire a boyfriend/fiancé for holiday dinners, high school reunions, weddings, or to gain an inheritance from a generous but meddlesome older relative. Where have I gone wrong? 😊

I'm currently making my way through Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Instead of reading them in order, I'm reading them by groups (Unseen University, City Watch, Death/Susan, etc.). I'm thinking of skipping over the Rincewind books, though. The one I read was tedious. I'm now up to Carpe Jugulum, a book about Granny Weatherwax and the Witches, and I'm hoping it's as entertaining as Maskerade.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
30 minutes ago, Vanderboom said:

I'm currently making my way through Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Instead of reading them in order, I'm reading them by groups (Unseen University, City Watch, Death/Susan, etc.). I'm thinking of skipping over the Rincewind books, though. The one I read was tedious. I'm now up to Carpe Jugulum, a book about Granny Weatherwax and the Witches, and I'm hoping it's as entertaining as Maskerade.

I do the same thing when I re-read Discworld.  Over time though, I have limited my re-reads to just the City Watch set because they are hands down my favorite and I love the progression of every character as the series goes on, especially Vimes and Carrot. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Vanderboom said:

I've always loved the Rincewind books. It helps that one is set in Australia. While I don't normally like representations of Oz in the media, Pratchett gives me a kind of loving parody. Interesting Times has a good story, too.

But the early ones, he hadn't quite hit his stride yet. I can see how they wouldn't be so fun.

• Useful 2
(edited)

I'm reading Jennifer Grey's book. Don't read if you're a Matthew Broderick fan. I don't know his POV, but I'll never see him the same way again after reading her version.

She's no saint either and I was surprised at some of her life experiences but I still maintain a soft spot for her. Teenage memories of Dirty Dancing is too strong.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I'm reading Jennifer Grey's book. Don't read if you're a Matthew Broderick fan. I don't know his POV, but I'll never see him the same way again after reading her version.

She's no saint either and I was surprised at some of her life experiences but I still maintain a soft spot for her. Teenage memories of Dirty Dancing is too strong.

I just wish she'd left her nose alone. She was so distinctive looking before. Now? Meh.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I just wish she'd left her nose alone. She was so distinctive looking before. Now? Meh.

According to the book, even she and the doctor seem stunned by such a dramatic change. She wanted to keep her nose and even the bump on it, and just wanted a small "fine tuning."

The director of the movie Wind blamed her for the movie's failure because she had the surgery before doing re-shoots and additional scenes. They couldn't do close ups since she has a different face and the camera tricks wasn't good enough.

• Useful 1