Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Step Class

• Start Topic

Just watched this episode.  I've seen a few episodes of this show and I really like it.  Quinta Brunson is charismatic and brings a positive (naive?) energy like Amy Poehler did in Parks and Recreation.  I think one reason she does well here is that she's a comic actress, not a standup comic.  (I don't know why producers put stand-up comics in leading sitcom rolls).  The other teachers and staff are exaggerated for comic effect, but that's part of the "cast of quirky characters" they put in a lot of shows.  It's working for me.

I need to go back and check the episodes I've missed.

• Love 15

Oh no. They're giving Ava a heart of gold.

This is my pet peeve with American comedy vs British. American comedy doesn't just let people be jerks, it has to "redeem" them. So British comedy is often funnier.

But imagine if Basil Fawlty was really sweet. Wouldn't be as funny.

Ava's clueless selfishness worked well in contrast with Janine's earnestness.

I still like Abbot, though. And I Ioved Barbara's "I think we broke that boy" line.

But this is the episode I liked least.

Edited by JeanJean
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

When Gregory picked up that pizza slice, I died. I told someone yesterday that I didn't really like pizza and he reacted much the same way everyone did on the show. I mean, I'll eat it but it just isn't my fave or something I ever crave. 

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I also am not a fan of pizza or cooked fruit (pies, jams, etc.)

I love pizza and pie, and I will confess that when my friend told me she didn’t like pie (for the same reason - she doesn’t like cooked fruit) I reacted similarly to Barbara and Melissa. (A boiled chicken sandwich sounds gross though.)

Jacob’s enthralled look when the kids were stepping had me rolling. OF COURSE he applied to Howard.

Y’all saw that look Gregory gave Janine, right?

• LOL 4
  • Love 15
44 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I love pizza and pie, and I will confess that when my friend told me she didn’t like pie (for the same reason - she doesn’t like cooked fruit) I reacted similarly to Barbara and Melissa. (A boiled chicken sandwich sounds gross though.)

Jacob’s enthralled look when the kids were stepping had me rolling. OF COURSE he applied to Howard.

Boiled chicken is gross. I don’t hate pizza, but do not think it is the best meal ever. I actually can take it only once a month. Cooked fruit is wrong. I am not overly crazy about sweets in general. Waistline does not support that fact though. But boiled chicken deserves a place in hell.

I love savory and  spicy (not just hot but heat and flavor) foods. If my nose ain’t running, it ain’t good to me.

Those are my food quirks.

• Love 12
11 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I didn't see them giving Ava a heart of gold, just showing different layers of her personality.  She's not all bad, which isn't that unusual.

yeah, me neither, i see no heart of gold just someone who is selfish and annoying

• Love 6
13 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I didn't see them giving Ava a heart of gold, just showing different layers of her personality.  She's not all bad, which isn't that unusual.

Exactly. The added layers make Ava's character less one-dimensional. It was nice seeing her finally engage with the kids. Oddly enough, I think she really found her friend group with the step team girls. They all seem about the same age.

The look on Jacob's face when Gregory said that fruit shouldn't be hot. And why does Jacob not understand that Gregory don't like him? His cluelessness is sending me. Besides, I didn't tell you to drive to Bmore to buy pizza. I ain't reimbursing nothing.

Know what else sent me? Gregory eating his boiled chicken sandwich while doing sit-ups in the car. Yes, baby. You are a little weird.

That custodian is a gem.

Gregory agreeing to go eat pizza with Janine was a really sweet touch. I wonder if Janine will ever know the sacrifice he made to be with her.

• LOL 3
  • Love 18
4 hours ago, Empress1 said:

The camera operator sure did notice it! 

Another really good episode, I figured that we would eventually show a softer side to Ava and I like how they handled it. She's still Ava, still a delightful trash fire, but she does have a bit more going on. She did actually do a surprisingly good job connecting with the students, maybe this is her real educator niche? 

Everyone's reactions to Gregory admitting he doesn't like pizza (or most things) were great, especially Melissa collapsing onto her chair. Then Jacob's death glare at Gregory saying he doesn't think fruit should be warm, I was just dying. Not liking pizza, explain yourself sir. I think the janitor is slowly becoming my favorite character. "Tuesdays garage day." "Checks out."

• Love 22
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Another really good episode, I figured that we would eventually show a softer side to Ava and I like how they handled it. She's still Ava, still a delightful trash fire, but she does have a bit more going on. She did actually do a surprisingly good job connecting with the students, maybe this is her real educator niche? 

Okay, I'm less alarmed. I just don't want to see her hilariousness lessened as I adore her (a lot of which is because of the actress). And as someone pointed out, it's like with the young girls, she found her peer group. Didn't the genius student say something like she's a kid and she doesn't have a job? He was spot on.

With each episode, I genuinely feel like I've spent a day at school - in a good way.

• Love 11

I keep watching this and wanting to like it more than I do.  Based on the comments here it's a favorite with a lot of people, but somehow it's just not clicking for me.  It's sort of the same vibe I got from The Office - everyone's just a little too mean or too clueless or too self-involved or too something.  Not trying to talk anyone out of liking it at all!  Just curious if it hit anyone else the same way.  I'll probably keep watching at least in the background; I keep thinking it should grow on me.

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I keep watching this and wanting to like it more than I do.  Based on the comments here it's a favorite with a lot of people, but somehow it's just not clicking for me.  It's sort of the same vibe I got from The Office - everyone's just a little too mean or too clueless or too self-involved or too something.  Not trying to talk anyone out of liking it at all!  Just curious if it hit anyone else the same way.  I'll probably keep watching at least in the background; I keep thinking it should grow on me.

Don't worry about it. I wasn't a Parks & Rec fan and many people were. (I actually liked the first year of P&R and then they switched it up - if I remember correctly they seemed to just throw away the first season - and redeemed Leslie Knopes and such.)

Edited by JeanJean
  • Love 2

I thought Ava's interaction with her grandma was what was supposed to make us see her in a new light, and give her a little more responsibility and depth. I definitely thought the interaction with the kids was her finding her age peers in the little kids.

And I agree with the people who think trying to redeem her or give her depth like that is a mistake. I just don't buy it.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, LydiaMoon1 said:

The look on Jacob's face when Gregory said that fruit shouldn't be hot. And why does Jacob not understand that Gregory doesn't like him? His cluelessness is sending me.

Maybe Jacob doesn't want to believe Gregory is a homophobic asshole? I really can't stand the character. He doesn't fit at all with the other teachers, and he's basically a dick to them all, except for Janine.

I do agree with Gregory that fruit should not be warm. I'm a picky eater, and there are ways to express your peculiar tastes with humor instead of being defensive about them.

23 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I loved this episode I'm team pizza and I laughed at Jacob's Lady Gaga line. Kudos to Janine for expecting more from Ava and getting to see that she's not all bad. Between this show and Ghosts it's nice to see comedies with decent people instead of jerks.

"United States of Al" is also filled with characters who are decent people, trying to work through their issues with humor and tears and not being jerks to each other. 

I don't think that showing Ava cares about her grandmother suddenly changes the character. Frankly, one-note characters -- whether good or evil -- are boring. I like that they added a little depth to Ava. 

Last episode, they tried to do that with Gregory -- that he's not just an asshole who doesn't connect with his students but has to deal with a father who doesn't respect education as a career (or at least teaching vs. administration).

I wish they would drop the whole "documentary" concept. The actors' constant cutaways to break the fourth wall is really, really distracting and annoying. It makes the actors look like amateurs.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I just adore this show (this and Ghosts are my new favorite shows this year).

I'm with Gregory that fruit shouldn't be warm (sorry, Jacob) but he lost me with his hatred of pizza. I feel like he's making an effort to fit in, in his own way, but knowing his father and how he's described his childhood, he's not a natural at it. Plus, he's around a lot of very strong personalities trying to insert themselves into his life, so I'm sure he's overwhelmed. 

I love Ava when she's being her natural bitchy self but I also liked seeing her layers. No one on this show is one note.

• Love 15
17 minutes ago, emma675 said:

. Plus, he's around a lot of very strong personalities trying to insert themselves into his life, so I'm sure he's overwhelmed. 

That's a really good point. And his dad is like that, which may be why he's guarded with them, aside from being naturally more reserved. It will be fun to watch him open up (if that's the plan).

Edited by JeanJean
  • Love 11

I thought that Gregory had made up the name of the Baltimore pizza place, but apparently not.  Although why Jacob would have thought he'd be excited to eat his favorite extra crunchy and wet pizza cold is beyond me.

Gregory wasn't shown eating/avoiding any of the Chinese food last week because he went out to take the phone call from his father, right?

• Love 11
10 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Maybe Jacob doesn't want to believe Gregory is a homophobic asshole? I really can't stand the character. He doesn't fit at all with the other teachers, and he's basically a dick to them all, except for Janine.

Puh-leeze. IRL, Jacob would drive me crazy. I think he's well-intentioned and I like the guy but, he's a clingy, irritating, overeager, wannabe-down liberal with a serious white savior complex. He's instantly declared Gregory as his best friend and attached himself to Gregory's hip without any invitation. In fact, he's never even bothered to ask Gregory if he wants to be his friend. He just colonized the whole friendship.

Jacob being gay is the least objectionable thing about him.

Edited by LydiaMoon1
  • Love 13
9 hours ago, JeanJean said:

I don't recall anything that would support the idea of him being homophobic. Where/when was that?

I didn't get that either.  Fruit was a pejorative term for gay people decades ago, but I don't think many viewers in 2022 would make that connection.

I thought his dislike of fruit pies was a continuation of his finickiness.  Very few people dislike pizza, and very few dislike apple pie.

• Love 14
11 hours ago, JeanJean said:

I don't recall anything that would support the idea of him being homophobic. Where/when was that?

I do like his character arc. It seems like little by little, he's opening himself up to things. And the dynamic between him and the kids is really sweet.

Yeah, I don’t think Gregory doesn’t like Jacob (or the rest of them). I think he’s like “wait, don’t I have to agree that we’re best friends?” but I don’t think he actively dislikes Jacob. And he hasn’t said a word about Jacob being gay that I can recall.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 14

As I said in the last ep, Gregory doesn't particularly like anyone besides Janine. He seems more rude with Jacob only because Jacob is trying so hard to get Gregory to like him while the others don't care as much.

On 2/23/2022 at 7:31 AM, Empress1 said:

Another swoon! They are giving Jim/Pam so much though and that worries me. Jim and Pam became so horrible together.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I thought that Gregory had made up the name of the Baltimore pizza place, but apparently not.  Although why Jacob would have thought he'd be excited to eat his favorite extra crunchy and wet pizza cold is beyond me.

Gregory wasn't shown eating/avoiding any of the Chinese food last week because he went out to take the phone call from his father, right?

I think he DID make it up and by coincidence it exists.

• LOL 7
  • Love 17

Great episode. I loved everyone's reaction when Gregory said he didn't like pizza, especially when the janitor dropped his broom. And that pizza Jacob bought from the Baltimore pizzeria looked disgusting, and I love most pizza.

We did get to see another layer to Ava; she's dealing with eldercare issues. However, that doesn't mean she's a good person. But plenty of her lines make me laugh out loud.

And stepping looks like so much fun!

• Love 6

I don't think Gregory is homophobic simply because the media guidelines in 2022  for sitcoms don't encourage that so of course the network doesn't want to broadcast something like that.

However, it does make me weary how standoffish he is with literally everyone that isn't Janine. And even then he is only nice to her because he views her as a possible romantic match, the show has made that clear.

No hard feelings though I am sure his character arc (if the show gets renewed) will be him slowly coming out of his shell and developing a better relationship with everyone.

Edited by Harvey
  • Love 2
43 minutes ago, Harvey said:

No hard feelings though I am sure his character arc (if the show gets renewed)

Oh, it will. It’s doing amazing. I just saw an article today about the second ep getting the highest ratings for a comedy since the Modern Family finale.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Janine's case she needs to welcome people in and hold people close and want to like them.  Whereas is Gregory's case he holds people at a distance and  is kinda closed off and doesn't join in or make friends easily and is not one to invite people in quickly either.

Ugh, I love this kind of ship!

• Love 3
15 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Are you suggesting that if someone doesn't like a specific gay person,  that automatically makes them a homophobic asshole, or has there been other evidence to suggest that?  If so, I didn't see it. 

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

It would never occur to me that the show would make Gregory a homophobe. And , as far as I can tell, nothing so far in show has hinted at that at all.  Gregory's stand-offishness toward Jacob pre-dated us even knowing Jacob was gay.  Nothing canonically has told us that Gregory was even aware of Jacob's sexuality since Jacob has never talked about his current boyfriend even to Janine. 

I also think that the only social agenda that may infiltrate this show even tangentially is gonna be about specifically the state of the public inner city education system -- which the show has been sliding in in funny and relatable ways.

My read on Gregory  is a personality of regimentation and structure.  He is also an introvert.  I wouldn't be surprised to learn his dad was in the military.  There is always something so neat and pressed about Gregory.  He is a temp/sub so he isn't one of them and his position amongst them is rather tenuous so that may also prompt him to keep  distance.  All that is to say,  I don't read him as mean, per se.  Rather, I think he and Janine are quite alike, but in Janine's case she needs to welcome people in and hold people close and want to like them.  Whereas is Gregory's case he holds people at a distance and  is kinda closed off and doesn't join in or make friends easily and is not one to invite people in quickly either. And a person like that would look askance at  Jacob's attempts to claim BFFness.  Honestly, I find Jacob cloying there too. But I do think Gregory  on the down low making sure Jacob and Barbara's garden was a success and rather than horning in an talking credit and letting them believe it was all them was a very nice and thoughtful gesture.  Even if in Gregory's mind he stayed hidden because didn't want to be swept up into their enterprise, it was still a nice above and beyond thing to do.

Also I think his relationship/feelings toward Janine are softer not only because he is attracted to her, but she is one of the few that reached out to him to work with him on his teaching.  Her giving him tips on how to make his class more relatable to his students and explaining the drawings to him.  That was when he actually, imo, really 'saw' Jeanine.  I think he is a person who appreciates transfer of knoweldge and learning things to make him better.  

All this, yes!

I think also, for Gregory, subbing was initially just a temp gig, a stepping stone until he could become an administrator, so that kept him at a distance in addition to his natural tendency to be like that. But, sometimes in spite of himself, he's becoming a good and increasingly involved teacher and the kids adore him -  and he's found his calling.

Edited by JeanJean
  • Love 17
On 2/23/2022 at 10:42 AM, LydiaMoon1 said:

Besides, I didn't tell you to drive to Bmore to buy pizza. I ain't reimbursing nothing.

Right?  Jacob meant well, but that was a whole expensive excursion that no one asked for.  Gregory doesn't owe him.

I respected Gregory not backing down, I figured he was going to force himself to eat the pizza so everyone would get off his back.  I get that it applies more to Greg's rigid nature, but let people like what they want and dislike what they want.  Who cares?

Ava had a point.  The rules and structure of the step team may have worked for Janine when she was younger, but that doesn't mean you sacrifice the fun and the creativity out of it.  The girls were really enjoying Ava's routine and I was relieved that Janine noticed that right away and didn't spend the episode sulking on it.  

As for the grandmother, I think it hit a great balance.  One act of decency doesn't negate Ava's irresponsibility towards her principal duties, but it does show that she's capable of caring for someone else and putting her priorities in order.

Nice little end credit bit with Janine and Ava's "dance off."  Nothing but respect in the end.

• Love 21

At my job, I am Gregory (and he nor I are homophobic). When my day ends, I have no desire to hang out with you. I have no desire to be my coworkers friends. I am friendly. There is a difference. If we organically become friends, that is great. That has happened for me in many instances. 🤷‍♂️ I just don't see Gregory as homophobic or rude.

• Love 21
26 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

At my job, I am Gregory (and he nor I are homophobic). When my day ends, I have no desire to hang out with you. I have no desire to be my coworkers friends. I am friendly. There is a difference. If we organically become friends, that is great. That has happened for me in many instances. 🤷‍♂️ I just don't see Gregory as homophobic or rude.

Same here. I'm very much an introvert. And though I get along with most of my co-workers, I don't feel the need to be besties with them.

On-topic: What I like about this show is how relatable it is. 

• Love 16

Ava could have told people that she was taking care of her grandma, rather than that she was just on vacation, and she could have told Janine that she had a family emergency, instead of just cultivating the idea that she would ditch the kids a moment before their performance. I think they are implying she's putting up a front to defend against her vulnerability. But it doesn't work for me because I honestly don't sympathize with a person who would rather defend herself in that way, at the expense of everyone around her. She's abusing her position for ego purposes, and she's not some 5 year old who will grow out of it with support. Janine keeping her secret to me was not noble; it was enabling.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

This prompted an entire Vulture article plea to let Ava stay terrible.  I think any network sitcom is going to default to trying to give *some* redemptive qualities to its characters, even the ‘terrible’ ones, but I agree that they shouldn’t swing the pendulum too far in that direction.  

They tried to pull that act in this week’s ‘The Gilded Age’ to try to ‘explain’ why one of the mean maids was so mean and I literally could not have cared less.  It’s the Cruella-fication of culture and it doesn’t work nearly as well as writers think it does: not every villain needs a tragic origin story.  Sometimes it’s cool to just let bad people be bad.

I do have to give props to the article for pointing me in the direction of James’s episode of Netflix’s ‘The Stand-Ups,’ which I just watched and is hilarious.

Edited by Lethallyfab
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5

I love how the Vulture article describes all the other teachers but completely omits any mention of Jacob. I assume it's an oversight and not a conscious comment on his character but it's exactly what the show would do to needle him, so I decided to find it funny.

• Love 4