Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E09: Heating Up

• Start Topic

Jazz gets a boost from her surrogate big brother, Raymond, to help prepare for Harvard. Sander introduces Noah to his friends, and when the topic of dating a trans person comes up, things get heated. Dr. Gallagher has an interesting proposition for Jazz.

Original air date 2022.01.25

31 minutes ago, BAForever said:

Ah yes, a surrogate brother that we've never heard about in 7 seasons. Where's Cousin Debbie these days? 

She was at Jeanette's photo shoot (far left on our screen); the one saying she could tell her cousin wasn't comfortable right now!  They're just calling her "Deb" this season.

Edited by all4mom2
  • Useful 2
6 hours ago, all4mom2 said:

She was at Jeanette's photo shoot (far left on our screen); the one saying she could tell her cousin wasn't comfortable right now!  They're just calling her "Deb" this season.

I ff'ed through the photo shoot. Way too cringy for me.

• Love 4

I just saw a clip for this epi and I cringed when Jazz says, "I'm starting college in two weeks and I have high expectations for myself." This kid is deluded so deeply, it's like she needs years of deep therapy. She does everything half ass, she tries to tag on to others hard work and then claim it as totally her efforts. She fucks up most things she spear heads because she is all talk and no action, that's her life M.O. So when she says she has such high expectations for herself in college it's sadly laughable because she never follows through with anything. If she graduates college I'll be very surprised. 

And just to be clear, saying the above brings me no joy. This kid needs so much psych help and her mother needs serious psych help too.

Edited by gingerella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 15

Ugh. This episode. Thoughts.

Jeannette is insisting her 20 year old daughter shave her legs? And the camera angle of Jazz on the floor with her enormous breasts almost blocking out her face was…unfortunate.

Raymond gave Jazz and Jeannette some good advice. Why hasn’t he been in the show before? Interesting that Jazz is looking forward to dating and exploring that side of life. I know that we sometimes slam her as being immature, but I view it as a good sign that she wants to get out there and meet people.

Noah, like many trans people (not all) can’t accept the fact that many people simply have no interest in a sexual relationship with someone that is trans. It doesn’t matter how much they argue, and say it’s bigotry, or not fair, whatever—people want what they want.

Not much Sander this episode—I found Griffen equally annoying though. Sander is still pretending that he could ever have a romantic relationship with someone like Hope, even though he made it obvious last episode that the lack of bottom surgery was a bridge too far. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 14

Sander talks about transgender stuff more than I do and I'm actually trans.

I hope Jazz gets to have friends at college that are her friends and not her-and Jeannette's friends.

Edited by PupCal
  • Love 18

Jeanette about Jazz not having shaved her legs: “I understand, it’s a personal choice and now it’s your personal choice to get rid of it.”

Looks to me like it's Jeanette making (insisting!) on that choice, not Jazz. Surely that’s something a twenty year-old (who’s going to HARVARD, per Jeanette's sweatshirt in case we didn’t know) should be able and allowed to make for herself. 

• Love 11
22 hours ago, gingerella said:

I just saw a clip for this epi and I cringed when Jazz says, "I'm starting college in two weeks and I have high expectations for myself." This kid is deluded so deeply, it's like she needs years of deep therapy. She does everything half ass, she tries to tag on to others hard work and then claim it as totally her efforts. She fucks up most things she spear heads because she is all talk and no action, that's her life M.O. So when she says she has such high expectations for herself in college it's sadly laughable because she never follows through with anything. If she graduates college I'll be very surprised. 

And just to be clear, saying the above brings me no joy. This kid needs so much psych help and her mother needs serious psych help too.

I think that may because she sets her expectations so high, and - and as Raymond pointed out, expects herself to totally change herself overnight - that they are things no human being could achieve at once all the time. I liked that he talked to her about not asking so much of herself. That way, she gets to be human. There's only one day available at a time. Of course if you think you have to turn yourself into someone else - and do it overnight - it's going to be too daunting and you won't even try. And I don't think Jeanette hovering will help. Kids these days can facetime or zoom their family, unlike going off to the wild at college in the old days, so she should just go home.

Raymond said so many insightful things, I wonder if he's studied psychology or sociology formally, or if he's that observant naturally. 

Edited by JeanJean
  • Love 9
30 minutes ago, shouldbedancing said:

When Jazz was talking about all she wanted to do at college she sounded sort of manic. I’ll be surprised if she does one thing. 

Yes! And Jazz if you want to lose weight and/or be more healthy, do it for YOU. You don't need to be a role model in everything. 

• Love 16
On 1/23/2022 at 10:12 AM, BAForever said:

Ah yes, a surrogate brother that we've never heard about in 7 seasons. Where's Cousin Debbie these days? 

She's also at the "ladies lunching (and drinking)" event shown on the preview for next week.  She's there, alright!

• Love 1

It's obvious Harvard would never consider someone with zero intellect like Jazz. Guaranteed Jazz will have some mental health meltdown that will prevent Jazz from "attending Harvard," a school that would NEVER accept such a zero brain. Jazz never applied to Harvard. This is getting very tired. OF COURSE Jazz isn't going to Harvard, or any other college, for that matter. You kinda have to get out of bed first.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, LeesburgLee said:

Jeanette about Jazz not having shaved her legs: “I understand, it’s a personal choice and now it’s your personal choice to get rid of it.” 

I'm not so sure it's that Jazz doesn't want to as that Jazz physically can't manage it given her size, especially working around those big boobs and midsection (same with WWT and Babs).  But yes, it's recycled fodder.  I notice Shauna Rae had her version of Jazz's Amhir on tonight and is singing the same "independence" song...

I guess there are only so many plotlines they can drag out season after season!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

I'm not so sure it's that Jazz doesn't want to as that Jazz physically can't manage it given her size, especially working around those big boobs and midsection (same with WWT and Babs).  But yes, it's recycled fodder.  I notice Shauna Rae had her version of Jazz's Amhir on tonight and is singing the same "independence" song...

I guess there are only so many plotlines they can drag out season after season!

I can only speak for myself and this is probably TMI, but I respectfully disagree that Jazz can’t physically do it herself. I weigh about what Jazz does, and I used to weigh a lot more. I have a large chest and midsection, too, and I’m 60 years old, not 20. With all that said, I’ve always been able to shave my legs. If you can stand on one leg while the other is propped up on a tub rim or something, you can reach. As I said, probably TMI 🙂

I think Jazz either didn’t want to or (like WWT, in my opinion) was too lazy or unmotivated to, but either way it wasn’t anything her mother should be butting in about. Boundaries and all.

And as you said, there are only so many plot lines the producers can think of for “drama”! Pax.

• Love 21

Yes, Noah, I would expect someone I had dated for years to tell me about their criminal history if they had one.  Also any other giant secrets.  Sanders' friends were very polite, but not as good as Sander is at pretending they'd want to date a transwoman 😄

The family friend gave good advice.  I think for both Jazz and Jeannette, however, it went in one ear and out the other.  Meanwhile Jazz got to be valedictorian without ever studying - yeah, clearly Harvard material there 🙄

• Love 10
44 minutes ago, Ucross said:

It's obvious Harvard would never consider someone with zero intellect like Jazz. Guaranteed Jazz will have some mental health meltdown that will prevent Jazz from "attending Harvard," a school that would NEVER accept such a zero brain. Jazz never applied to Harvard. This is getting very tired. OF COURSE Jazz isn't going to Harvard, or any other college, for that matter. You kinda have to get out of bed first.

a) I think she's smart and b) we have some terribly idiotic people in government currently who went to Harvard (probably via legacy or large donations). I do think she may have more of a creative bent than a strictly academic one and might be better off somewhere that fosters that more...like, say, that school in California she wanted to go to.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Ucross said:

Spoiler

Well she’s actually now in her second semester  at Harvard 

Edited by SDVegas
Added spoiler tag
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, LeesburgLee said:

I think Jazz either didn’t want to or (like WWT, in my opinion) was too lazy or unmotivated to, but either way it wasn’t anything her mother should be butting in about. Boundaries and all.

Jeanette knows no boundaries.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Q: Am I transphobic if I don't want to date a trans woman?

A: No.

It's not that tricky, Sander and Raymond. There's a difference between hate and preference. The guys weren't saying there was anything bad or wrong with being trans, just that they weren't comfortable dating trans people. You get to be that way because, yes, we do discount entire groups because of their identity. That's why Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck are dating each other and not RuPaul.

Edited by Passing Strange
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 9

The flashback to Sander's (lack of) heart to heart conversation with Hope, and the deflated, defeated look on Hope's face as Sander was listening to himself talk about not wanting to jeopardize their relationship with much more than a hug, was hard to watch (again).  Sander, Hope wants a boyfriend, not an advocate.  How I wish Hope had responded to Sander's lame attempt to do the right thing by telling him in no uncertain terms she has better things to do than daydream about Sander one day holding her hand like a boyfriend.

The Be Kind law in the works subplot gets recycled again this episode...Jesus.  These kids are all Ivy League material and the best they can come up with is a 7th-grade civics project?  Unbelievable.

The pressure on Jazz is too, too much.  The grandfather relentlessly chiming in on Jazz's weight, to Jazz's face no less, is the same kind of fucking bullying Be Kind is about.  

Be Kind, my ass.  It's time to end this show, and family friend Raymond all but said that to both Jeanette and Jazz.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Passing Strange said:

It's not that tricky, Sander and Raymond. There's a difference between hate and preference. The guys weren't saying there was anything bad or wrong with being trans, just that they weren't comfortable dating trans people. You get to be that way because, yes, we do discount entire groups because of their identity. That's why Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck are dating each other and not RuPaul.

RuPaul is a gay man who dresses in drag so since Ben Affleck is a straight man and Jennifer Lopez is a woman, I wouldn't see a love match on RuPaul's side either. 

To me, the answer was somewhere in the middle of the extremes each person presented.  Certainly if you dated someone for six years and they for whatever reason knew they could not have children they should share it.  Also, if you dated someone for a reasonable period of time and they are transgender, you would expect them to say something.  Why? Because couples who are interested in a long term commitment should be honest about major things that have been part of their lives.  No one owes anyone everything about themselves, but we should cover the major items. 

At the same time, there is no need on a first date to disclose that much of your past.  Date #1 isn't the time to discuss fertility or genitals.  See if there's interest first.  

As someone who went to one of the top colleges in the country (I was accepted to Harvard but chose to go elsewhere), I too rarely studied in high school.  I graduated with honors (although not valedictorian), got high marks on the SATs, was a published (extremely minor) author, had work experience, and a lot of AP classes.  For me college was a shock because, as Jazz said, different field of players.  I had to learn how to study. So nothing she is saying rings false to me. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
13 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

As someone who went to one of the top colleges in the country (I was accepted to Harvard but chose to go elsewhere), I too rarely studied in high school.  I graduated with honors (although not valedictorian), got high marks on the SATs, was a published (extremely minor) author, had work experience, and a lot of AP classes.  For me college was a shock because, as Jazz said, different field of players.  I had to learn how to study. So nothing she is saying rings false to me. 

I am one of those students too. I made it through a year and a half of college and left. I had never had to develop any study habits to get A's in AP classes, I did well on SATs, actually scoring higher on the 2nd round after staying out all night partying. I didn't care because my first scores were high enough. I apprenticed as a chef and built a career in that field before going back to college in my late 30s to get an engineering degree, math was easy the writing and other classes were a struggle. I hype she succeeds but it is tough if you do not have those study skills.

Edited by spacefly
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Passing Strange said:

This is not a universal opinion.  I have seen really nasty threads on this topic on Slate/Prudie. 

43 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

RuPaul is a gay man who dresses in drag so since Ben Affleck is a straight man and Jennifer Lopez is a woman, I wouldn't see a love match on RuPaul's side either. 

I agree that it goes both ways. I chose RuPaul because he's a gay man and is famous. As he's said, he's a man; drag is what he does for a living.

16 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

This is not a universal opinion.  I have seen really nasty threads on this topic on Slate/Prudie. 

As much as I wish my opinions were universally accepted, I've come to terms with the fact that they're not. 🙂

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Wow this episode was mind blowing in so many ways.

Be Kind bill - how do you legislate the way kids interact with each other?  I'm not sure exactly what they are trying to put into place with this 'bill' but I dont think the founding fathers set up our system of government to dictate the behaviors of children.  Bullying is awful and of course the teachers should not condone it, but there is no way for them to control everything kids do.  There will always be picking on people that are 'different'.  Sometimes people develop strengths and learn to empower themselves by facing a little adversity.  

Sander is absolutely ridiculous.  He is actually going to force himself to date someone he has no physical attraction to just to prove what an 'Ally' he is.  Hell if he's that hellbent on being so woke, why not just transition himself?  Maybe that's the next step.

What kind of high schools do people go to where they can make straight A's without even studying?  I was pretty much a straight A student all through my school career but I actually did have to put SOME effort into it.  

Jazz is so delusional.  She sets such high standards of excellence for herself.  Excellence IN WHAT?  Everything she has ever attempted on the show has been half-ass or she quit because it just wasn't up to her imaginary standards.  She is too lazy to even get out of bed half the time.  I don't think she's dumb but I don't think she's some gifted genius either.  

Sander's trans friend----sorry honey but no one should have to feel bad about themselves because they aren't physically attracted to you.  It doesn't mean they are phobic or whatever -ism either.  And to actually think it's not your romantic partner's business to tell them you were born a woman after six years of dating is ludicrous.  I think they'd be able to figure it out just by looking.

It was refreshing to see someone with an actual brain like Raymond telling Jeanette the unvarnished truth.

Edited by Joan van Snark
  • Love 14
15 hours ago, princelina said:

I think for both Jazz and Jeannette, however, it went in one ear and out the other. 

Especially for Jeanette, I noticed that glazed look in her  eyes that all we humans get when someone is saying something to us and we don't want to hear it.

2 hours ago, Joan van Snark said:

Sander is absolutely ridiculous.  He is actually going to force himself to date someone he has no physical attraction to just to prove what an 'Ally' he is.  Hell if he's that hellbent on being so woke, why not just transition himself?  Maybe that's the next step.

What kind of high schools do people go to where they can make straight A's without even studying?  I was pretty much a straight A student all through my school career but I actually did have to put SOME effort into it.  

Then he'd just be using someone and that is wrong, wrong, wrong.

And yes. My pals in high school were always saying how "smart" I was but I also studied 4 hours a night.

I wish the whole family would just lay off Jazz and let the girl be. Let her explore and have fun. I've come to a point in life where I don't think we have to "achieve" every day. That's how burnout happens.

Edited by JeanJean
  • Love 3

It occurred to me that no one in Jazz's family (including the grandparents) ever seems to tell her that she's fine and they love her just as she is (like in "Bridget Jones' Diary" 😀) . Her dad, maybe, but then she gets a lot of negative messages about herself from the rest of them.

Edited by JeanJean
  • Useful 1
  • Love 15
22 minutes ago, JeanJean said:

It occurred to me that no one in Jazz's family (including the grandparents) ever seems to tell her that she's fine and they love her just as she is (like in "Bridget Jones' Diary" 😀) . Her dad, maybe, but then she gets a lot of negative messages about herself from the rest of them.

I agree, Greg, at least from what is portrayed on the show, is the MVP of the family.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Joan van Snark said:

with an actual brain like Raymond telling Jeanette the unvarnished truth.

It would be ideal if Raymond went to Boston and escorted Jeanette to the airport and made sure she went home and left Jazz alone.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
13 minutes ago, deirdra said:

It would be ideal if Raymond went to Boston and escorted Jeanette to the airport and made sure she went home and left Jazz alone.

Yes! Jeanette doesn't seem to understand that the message Jazz gets from all the hovering is that she's incapable. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, JeanJean said:

Jazz is hard on herself and has unrealistic expectations because her family pushes her.  The other kids tell her how much better they are doing than she is.  She has plenty of growing up that she needs to do on her own. I know we keep watching her seem to fail on the show.  That is often a reaction to unrealistic expectations.  Raymond nailed it; she doesn't need to be a role model all. the. time! She just needs to be - go to college and interact with other people her age and in her phase in life.  They really are an overly critical bunch. 

Then again, did you know that Sander was an athlete?  I mean, he never mentions it but he was the most athletic athlete that ever did any form of athletics.  Oh and he is in the greatest shape of anyone ever.  I know we all risk swooning when he's shirtless. 🙄

53 minutes ago, readheaded said:

Yes! Jeanette doesn't seem to understand that the message Jazz gets from all the hovering is that she's incapable. 

That is exactly it.  They need to let her be.  I can understand Jeannette's fears for Jazz when she was younger.  She's an adult now who will never finish maturing with Jeannette hovering.  

The other thing that stood out to me was when they listed all of the different doctors they set up for her in Boston.  She needs a GP and a psychiatrist.  If she needs more than that, it can be arranged when she's there.  The family is telling her she is sicker than she is.  Hopefully away from Jeanette she can be reassessed. 

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

The other thing that stood out to me was when they listed all of the different doctors they set up for her in Boston.  She needs a GP and a psychiatrist.  If she needs more than that, it can be arranged when she's there.  The family is telling her she is sicker than she is.  Hopefully away from Jeanette she can be reassessed. 

Actually it was Harvard that said they wouldn't consider readmitting her unless and until she had a team of 4 in Boston set up.  Presumably she can switch them to others if she doesn't mesh with them.

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, deirdra said:

Actually it was Harvard that said they wouldn't consider readmitting her unless she had a team of 4 in Boston set up.

Then Harvard needs to ease up, too. 😀

Seriously, though, students are consumers who pay probably at least $50K per year at Harvard. How far should  university oversight extend?

• Love 7
16 hours ago, princelina said:

Yes, Noah, I would expect someone I had dated for years to tell me about their criminal history if they had one.  Also any other giant secrets.  Sanders' friends were very polite, but not as good as Sander is at pretending they'd want to date a transwoman 😄

The family friend gave good advice.  I think for both Jazz and Jeannette, however, it went in one ear and out the other.  Meanwhile Jazz got to be valedictorian without ever studying - yeah, clearly Harvard material there 🙄

I could not believe he said that! Hell yes, they better tell me about their criminal history. And it would be lying if you neglected to mention, for 6 years, that you had gone to jail! You get a pass on 6 days, but not years!  

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Joan van Snark said:

I didn't have to study much in high school (which was a good school), so I had to adjust in college (a great school), but I still didn't do a ton of studying.  It wasn't until law school that I put serious effort into my A's (I had a natural aptitude, but I also worked at it because I cared more than I ever had [I didn't go right from university; law was a second career for me]).

• Love 5

I can only speak for myself and this is probably TMI, but I respectfully disagree that Jazz can’t physically do it herself. I weigh about what Jazz does, and I used to weigh a lot more. I have a large chest and midsection, too, and I’m 60 years old, not 20. With all that said, I’ve always been able to shave my legs. If you can stand on one leg while the other is propped up on a tub rim or something, you can reach. As I said, probably TMI 

Large lady in my 60s here and I've always been able to shave my legs as well.  I actually sit down to do it (thanks spinal stenosis).  But lack of grooming can be a sign of depression.  And if Jazz can't shave her legs without her mother's help, what makes them think she can attend such a high level college?  I'm hoping this is fake and not indicative of her real life struggles.  

Why would Jazz need a pulmonologist? A GI doctor? I can understand a GP to coordinate her care, a psychiatrist and therapist and perhaps endocrinologist (or whatever doctor needs to stabilize her hormones) and perhaps a GYN for the lady parts care.  

• Love 5

I almost vomited in disgust when Jeanette was trying to shave or wax Jazz's legs. That Jazz allows that in the first place is sad. That her mother thinks it's cute and adorable, that's sick in the head ill. The closer it gets to Jazz going to college, the more Jeanette is panicking and her Munchausen's is showing. It's really pathetic and I am flabbergasted that nobody steps in to say NO. You don't get to stay in Cambridge to hover over your college aged kid. That's so many kinds of wrong I don't have time to list them all! What's Jeanette going to do, come to Jazz's dorm and do checks on the the lube tube to see if she's been dilating? Or suggest that Jazz starts a dilation club? What the actual fuck does she think she's going to do that will be helpful for Jazz's maturation process? Man, that lady is sick. And as much as folks like to say Greg is a saint, THIS is where he needs to man up and say NO, you are NOT going to stay in Cambridge with Jazz. We are going together to drop her off at school and then we are coming home, together!" But Greg is part of the problem because he always cows to Jeanette's whims.

As for Jazz claiming she has to be a role model, where does that come from? I mean, when that patient said that Jazz's book is what helped his religious grandmother accept him, Jazz looked completely disinterested. Yes she hugged him but her expression was like, Huh? Oh, I guess I should offer a hug now. It was just very disconnected and made me wonder how much of this role model thing was Jeanette's idea and that she's been the one pushing all these years and Jazz doesn't even really fully understand that yet.

Then there's the wokest woke dude in woke dudeville, here to force his token trans dude pal to hang with his hetero bro dude crew because, yanno, it's his mission to get on TV more, I mean, err, to woke it up with his buddies! When he said, "when I date a transwoman" I nearly threw my glass at the TV. When? Because I'm pretty sure he's not getting it on with Hope because she has man parts downstairs, right? And he's admitted he's not into that. Okay, fine. We want who/what we want and that's absolutely okay, but you don't force yourself to date a transwoman to prove how woke your entitled, upper middle class white ass is, right?

6 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

At the same time, there is no need on a first date to disclose that much of your past.  Date #1 isn't the time to discuss fertility or genitals.  See if there's interest first.  

I respectfully disagree with not being important to disclose gender on a first date. If I went on a date with someone it implies that I am interested in getting to know them as a potential partner, yes? If I know I'm straight and have no desire to be with someone who has my genitalia, then yes, I would absolutely want and expect to know that going into a first date. Because if I knew beforehand, I wouldn't waste that person's time with a hopeful first date when I already know that that's not what I want. Then again, I never dated randomly, I always knew the person before going on a first real date, so I would hope I'd have known before things got to 'asking me out' levels. I think people like Sander like to spout things like, "if you get to know the person first then maybe it doesn't matter" but there are very few people, IMO, to whom it might not matter. I think the majority of folks would feel awkward as hell because they don't want to hurt the other person but also they wouldn't be in that situation if gender had been revealed beforehand. And I call BS on Jazz spouting that she's pansexual. She has no idea what she is because she's never had sex (I don't believe her comment that she used her 'equipment' or whatever it was she said in another episode) nor a romantic relationship so she's just parroting something that sounds woke and very accepting because that's her whole public persona, isn't it?  I hope I'm making sense. This show has annoyed me no end and it's going to another level of shitastic this season.

And not for nothing but I am SO GLAD that Noelle is not on this shit show anymore. I hope she is doing fabulously and getting on with her life. If you want a trans role model, look no further because Noelle is IT !

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
12 hours ago, Granny58 said:

I tuned in to see the start of the leg shaving scene and noped out.  But I did catch "it takes too long."  How the hell long does it take to shave legs?  Takes me less than 5 minutes.   

"It takes too long" if you fall back asleep in the middle of it?

I was thinking she got straight A's without studying because a) her online school was a joke, or b) her mother or some tutor paid by her mother did her schoolwork.

Edited by all4mom2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, all4mom2 said:

I was thinking she got straight A's without studying because a) her online school was a joke, or b) her mother or some tutor paid by her mother did her schoolwork.

I was of course thinking A.  But if it was B - that could be why Jeanette wants to hang around Harvard 😄

6 hours ago, gingerella said:

Greg is part of the problem because he always cows to Jeanette's whims.

As for Jazz claiming she has to be a role model, where does that come from? I mean, when that patient said that Jazz's book is what helped his religious grandmother accept him, Jazz looked completely disinterested. Yes she hugged him but her expression was like, Huh? Oh, I guess I should offer a hug now. It was just very disconnected and made me wonder how much of this role model thing was Jeanette's idea and that she's been the one pushing all these years and Jazz doesn't even really fully understand that yet.

Yes about Greg!!

And of course the role model thing was Jeanette's idea - little kids don't want to be "role models" on their own; they don't even know what that means - but I could see how it would sound good to them and make them feel special.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

Large lady in my 60s here and I've always been able to shave my legs as well.  I actually sit down to do it (thanks spinal stenosis).  But lack of grooming can be a sign of depression.  And if Jazz can't shave her legs without her mother's help, what makes them think she can attend such a high level college?  I'm hoping this is fake and not indicative of her real life struggles.  

Why would Jazz need a pulmonologist? A GI doctor? I can understand a GP to coordinate her care, a psychiatrist and therapist and perhaps endocrinologist (or whatever doctor needs to stabilize her hormones) and perhaps a GYN for the lady parts care.  

Jeanette waxing or shaving Jazz's legs was a total reality TV, won't this be funny thing?  Jazz is not too big to shave her legs if she wants to.  She doesn't mind having hairy legs.  There are women who don't shave their legs.  It should be her choice.  

I agree with your list of doctors.  Those make sense.  I really hope Jeanette does go back to Florida and leaves Jazz to take care of herself, hairy legs and all. 

• Love 4

Can someone let me know what Jeanette's plan is?  Is she planning on living in Boston the entire time Jazz is in school?  Greg is ok with this?  Actually, does he really even have a say in the matter/in any matter? Just curious how it's been explained on the show.

• Love 3

Can someone let me know what Jeanette's plan is?  Is she planning on living in Boston the entire time Jazz is in school?  Greg is ok with this?  Actually, does he really even have a say in the matter/in any matter? Just curious how it's been explained on the show.

Jeanette's plan is to go up with Jazz, see that she is settled in, and then stay there indefinitely until she is sure that Jazz is doing ok and not struggling. She makes it sound like it could be a few weeks on up to a year, though no time period has been mentioned. And no, Greg is absolutely not ok with this.  He wants her to go up with Jazz, stay a day or so to get her settled in and then come back home again.  You know, like most parents do when their kids go to college. He wants Jazz to be more independent and feels like Jeanette is coddling/smothering/helicopter parenting her. The word "co-dependency" was mentioned, I think. I assume that he would also like for his wife to not be gone for an indefinite period of time that could turn into months, if not longer.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Yokosmom said:

Jeanette's plan is to go up with Jazz, see that she is settled in, and then stay there indefinitely until she is sure that Jazz is doing ok and not struggling. She makes it sound like it could be a few weeks on up to a year, though no time period has been mentioned. And no, Greg is absolutely not ok with this.

So Jazz is supposed to be a role model? But she's a model of not being able to do things for herself? Not being able to handle her hygiene issues (dilatation/ shaving legs), follow-up for her medical care? (weight issues/ etc)  or daily routine (laundry, getting up and attending classes, eating nutritious meals/ shopping)?  There are young adults that are physically handicapped (wheelchair bound, etc) that manage to go to college and handle their own affairs.  And don't colleges have some kind of student affairs office that can help Jazz with any challenges? Plus if she's living on campus, isn't there a resident advisor that can guide her in finding assistance? Back when my daughter was in college, she helped out some other students with challenges (she learned to put a weave in a girl's hair who had broken her arm, took a couple of students to the ER with various serious medical issues, etc). My point is. . . many students have issues and challenges.  Part of becoming a functioning adult is learning to handle what life throws at you.  Please Jeanette. . . . let it go. . . let Jazz grow up. 

• Love 14