Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

• Start Topic

Allegedly the decision on Kamila will be released in about an hour.

I dunno, most of these ice dance teams bore me. They all have a kind of sameyness about them. I enjoyed Chock and Bates’ dance because it at least didn’t blend in with the others. 

At least Papadakis didn’t flash her boob at the whole world this time.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Quiet1ne said:

I think this podium was predicted in the 2018 Pyongchang thread.   Next quad should be a little more interesting as 5-7 of the top 10 teams are retiring so we will see a reshuffling of the standings.

Maybe not S/K since they didn’t even make the Olympic team but this has definitely been the three main teams the last quad with C/B always threatening but never able to get there. I, too, hope the next quad will be more exciting and I think it will be. 

8 minutes ago, justmehere said:

I hope Chock and Bates don't retire. Seems like they are simply getting better, and I want to see more from them.

I agree. I think they have a great shot at the top of the podium, especially if they keep doing interesting dances like this season's free dance.

Whoever sticks around, I hope the overall trend moves away from the floaty-musak-whisper-vocal style. More stuff like Daft Punk aliens and Zorro, please.

• Love 13
43 minutes ago, OnePlusOne said:

I agree. I think they have a great shot at the top of the podium, especially if they keep doing interesting dances like this season's free dance.

Whoever sticks around, I hope the overall trend moves away from the floaty-musak-whisper-vocal style. More stuff like Daft Punk aliens and Zorro, please.

ITA. As long as we don't go back to what I like to refer to as the Eurotrash era of 2002 and 2006 ice dance. That for me stands as one of the most offensive and downright unappealing eras of ice dance.

Remember Anissina and Peizerat's 2002 FD? While the music was pretty interesting, they overlayed it with MLK, Jr.'s "I Have a Dream Speech".  To me, it was one of the most offensive and tone deaf things I ever seen in figure skating other than the Russian skater representing the red coat girl from Schindler's List in Sochi. 

Outside a couple of teams, 2006 had some of the worst concepts and costuming that should never see the light of day again. 

Edited by DawnDavenport
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, HartofDixie said:

Kamila allowed to compete. Provisional suspension has been lifted.

Well we now know the IOC has no balls and they have made a mockery of the Olympics. I'm out after tonight and won't watch anymore of this dreck.

I hope NBC made money off the Super Bowl because they are certainly losing their shirts over these Olympics and it's only going to get worse.

Every skater should refuse to compete and BOYCOTT the ladies event. 

Edited by DawnDavenport
  • Love 18
2 minutes ago, HartofDixie said:

Kamila allowed to compete. Provisional suspension has been lifted.

Ugh... Utter bullshit, but not surprised.

Remember Annissina and Pezeriat's 2002 FD? While the music was pretty interesting, they overlayed with MLK, Jr.'s "I Have a Dream Speech".  To me, it was one of the most offensive and tone deaf things I ever seen in figure skating other than the Russian skater representing the red coat girl in Schindler's List in Sochi.

Don't forget DomShabs brownface rhythm dance...

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

Yep. Unbefuckinglievable.

I’m not surprised at all. It’s likely based on her age and in accordance with existing guidelines (which I’m sure will be changed after this). Here’s hoping that there will be an actual investigation and consequences for Eteri and team……

ETA: Looking like Russia will keep the Team Gold too; like there’s no way they take it away at this point. 

Edited by ShellsandCheese

From the official document:

1) It has affirmed the jurisdiction of the CAS Ad Hoc Division in this matter and has overruled the preliminary objections raised by the Athlete and the ROC in this regard;

Tribunal Arbitral du Sport Court of Arbitration for Sport
2) On the basis of the very limited facts of this case, and after consideration of the relevant legal issues, it has determined that no provisional suspension should be imposed on the Athlete due to the following exceptional circumstances:
a) The Athlete is a “Protected Person” under the World Anti-Doping Code (WADC);
b) The RUSADA Anti-Doping Rules and the WADC are silent with respect to provisional suspension imposed on protected persons, while these rules have specific provisions for different standards of evidence and for lower sanctions in the case of protected persons;
c) The Panel considered fundamental principles of fairness, proportionality, irreparable harm, and the relative balance of interests as between the Applicants and the Athlete, who did not test positive during the Olympic Games in Beijing and is still subject to a disciplinary procedure on the merits following the positive anti-doping test undertaken in December 2021; in particular, the Panel considered that preventing the Athlete from competing at the Olympic Games would cause her irreparable harm in these circumstances;
d) The CAS Panel also emphasized that there were serious issues of untimely notification of the results of the Athlete’s anti-doping test that was performed in December 2021 which impinged upon the Athlete’s ability to establish certain legal requirements for her benefit, while such late notification was not her fault, in the middle of the Olympic Winter Games Beijing 2022.
3) In conclusion, the Panel determined that permitting the provisional suspension to remain lifted was appropriate.

• Useful 3
Just now, ShellsandCheese said:

I’m not surprised at all. It’s likely based on her age and in accordance with existing guidelines (which I’m sure will be changed after this). Here’s hoping that there will be an actual investigation and consequences for Eteri and team…….

There won't be. She will continue to train, starve, and abuse prepubescent girls and get away with it until they stop winning.

• Love 7

Bullshit.  I mean, this isn't surprising since Russia apparently owns the CAS.  I guess after whatever "full" investigation is planned, any team/individual medals could be stripped, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Love 6

Welp, with this shitty decision and with men's/dance being over, I'm out for the rest of the Olympics as far as skating goes. This is a terrible decision. Without checking Eteri/Russia's doping, I feel like it's a matter of time before a skater will have a serious illness (or worse) as a result of the doping and/or training methods. I know it was a decision by CAS, but the IOC and ISU have enabled this behavior and it makes a mockery of all the lip service paid to clean competition and fair play.

• Love 17
4 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

It’s a complete joke. As if figure skating didn’t have credibility issues as it is. Now you have a skater who TESTED POSITIVE FOR A BANNED SUBSTANCE AND SHE STILL GETS TO SKATE. And the worry is that it will cause her “irreparable harm” if she can’t skate? What about the harm to the other skaters?

Everyone should just dope up then. What’s the point in playing fair?

Irreparable harm?? Fucking really? The only “irreparable harm” being done is to the credibility of the sport at this point.  

• Love 18
9 minutes ago, DawnDavenport said:

There won't be. She will continue to train, starve, and abuse prepubescent girls and get away with it until they stop winning.

I certainly hope not. I think people are sympathetic to Kamila but now there’s a lot of focus on Eteri, I’m sure more dirt will be dug up. The most interesting part about this whole thing is that if not for the testing delay - none of this would have been public and Kamila still would have been competing. Makes me wonder what else is not public knowledge? Assuming the Russians sweep, there will always be a big fat asterisk for the 2022 Ladies Olympic Games. 

Edited by ShellsandCheese
  • Love 11
7 minutes ago, GeminiDancer said:

I know this isn't going to mean much, but I don't know that I can watch the remaining figure skating events. What credibility does the IOC have left?

You're not alone. Every time an athlete from Russia in any sport is announced, I say aloud to my TV, 'Annnd are they doping too?' It kills the joy for the Games, knowing the IOC and various international sporting entities all bend over to accommodate Russian cheaters.

Edited by gingerella
  • Love 15

And the worry is that it will cause her “irreparable harm” if she can’t skate? 

Doing nothing about the adults doping minors will cause her far more "irreparable harm" than not skating because they'll probably keep giving her (and others) the drug.  She shouldn't be skating and her coach should be banned. 

It's unfair to all the other skaters as well. This whole thing taints the entire competition. I don't think I will be watching.

• Love 21
20 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

Everyone should just dope up then. What’s the point in playing fair?

Not surprised by the decision. But this is where I’m at. They should throw out the doping rules of the IOC, ISU and WADA and approve doping for all athletes., with the caveat that only drugs A, B and C can be used to dope, provided the doping methods are safe <sarcasm>. 

I’m out as well. I won’t be watching the remaining FS competitions. I’ll be rooting for SUI/Wei from a distance. Hopefully they’ll take gold in pairs.

• Love 8
24 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I hope Kamila chokes under the glare of scrutiny she will continue to face. And fuck Eteri for putting her in this position.

I hope she butt-zambonis herself all the way off the podium so another medal ceremony won’t get hung up and she won’t have to give back another medal she doesn’t deserve.

But the judges will prop her up anyway and the other two were likely also doping and will get away with it. 🙄

I feel sorry for the clean non-Russian skaters.

• Love 14

I'm not watching the women's event.  This is sickening.  

Both Johnny and Tara are coming out strongly against the decision.  Plus, they actually are dressed in ordinary clothes.  

Edited by SophiaD
  • Love 24
4 minutes ago, GreyBunny said:

I hope she butt-zambonis herself all the way off the podium so another medal ceremony won’t get hung up and she won’t have to give back another medal she doesn’t deserve.

But the judges will prop her up anyway and the other two were likely also doping and will get away with it. 🙄

I feel sorry for the clean non-Russian skaters.

The disappointing part is that even if Valieva was banned, Scherbakova and Trusova are favorites to win. No doubt in my mind that they're doping too.

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

Well it sounds like even Johnny and Tara are not happy with the decision. Don't blame them Tara is talking about being drug tested at 11 and Johnny at 13. Both talking about all the precautions they took about medicines for colds. 

When Russia has lost Johnny you know its serious!

He got roasted up and down social media for his cowardly tweet and how he had been propping up Eteri for years (and generally acting a fool) so maybe he’s decided to be a little more serious for a change.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, GreyBunny said:

He got roasted up and down social media for his cowardly tweet and how he had been propping up Eteri for years (and generally acting a fool) so maybe he’s decided to be a little more serious for a change.

He's been doing it his whole career. I remember Christine Brennan would question him on it repeatedly which is why it did not surprise me when she asked every skater this season besides minors about China. Even though everyone keeps accusing her of being racist. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Minneapple said:

At least Papadakis didn’t flash her boob at the whole world this time.

No but we saw his nipples. 

I actually really liked their FD.  It had small intricacies between the elements that I found made it interesting in a way the previous 2 didn't.

24 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Surprisingly, both Tara and Johnny strongly condemn the decision. Tara? Sure. But Johnny? Wow.

Johnny may sometimes dress the fool but a fool he is not.  He knows that this massively harms the sport he covers, especially since she's likely going to win the gold. How do you cover that with requisite enthusiasm?  Besides, there are other Russians there he can drool over and pretend aren't doped.

• Love 10

This fucking day...I went from being sad but having perspective about the Super Bowl to being so happy and relieved P/C won to furious with this unconscionable decision.  I'm with those who are not going to watch any more figure skating this Olympics.  I would give anything to have every single woman other than the three Russians boycott.

I did like how vociferously Tara and (especially) Johnny were in their interview.

• Love 8

Well, I can safely say I will not be watching any of the Team Tutberidze skaters in the women’s competition this week since it’s pretty obvious now that they are doping during training. Of course I don’t blame the skaters themselves in this instance, but I can’t watch knowing what I know now. If Kamilla wins, there’s always going to be an asterisk next to her name in my mind. Same with Anna or Alexandra, since it’s almost certain they’ve been given the same substance in training.

Edited by specialj67
  • Love 8

I don’t understand how not letting her compete would be irreparably damaging, but okay. Thrust her into a competition that nobody wants her in, face the media of people ready to tear her apart, and then in 6 months when the investigation is over, have it all taken away anyway. This is all very cruel. Russia would have given her a fake medal no matter what. She skated her clean programs during the team event, wouldn’t they want to go out on that high note? 

They’re apparently running the competition as if she were already DQ’d, and are letting the skater in 25th place advance to the FS. No medal ceremony either, and the team medal will remain in jeopardy too.

I wonder if NBC will even air her programs. 

Edited by absnow54
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3

I was expecting this but still disappointed. Like others, I'm not watching even though ladies skating is the one Olympic event I normally watch. Nathan Chen won the gold and that's enough for me.

This is me channeling Lisa Simpson complete with my finger pointing at Russia and the IOC: "Asterisk, Asterisk!"

• Love 8

Infuriating, but not surprising.  I doubt there is more investigation.  I am betting that in a few months everyone will just get mailed their medals when Figure Skating determines the public has moved on to another outrage.  I’m sure they think we will forget entirely in four years.

Eteri and Kamila are now public martyrs, symbols of how the world hates Russian greatness and tries to hold it back, but ultimately it prevails.  I’m disgusted and out.

• Love 5

1 hour ago, absnow54 said:

I don’t understand how not letting her compete would be irreparably damaging, but okay.

Their thinking, as I would understand it, is that her career would be damaged. We know about the "Eteri Expiration Date" and this is her one chance at the Olympics. That doesn't make it right because we know that if she were 18, there would have been little question about disqualifying Kamila. It's clearly set up one set of rules that the Russians can exploit because they are only having skaters who are little more than children jump into the senior division and everyone else that has actual adults skating.

I can't say that I'm surprised by this outcome, but I am disappointed. There's no question that this decision stinks, but it's hopefully going to give the ISU and IOC some real teeth in pushing for serious reforms and perhaps at least extending the ban on an official Russian team competing for a few more years because we know that the Russians are not going to seriously investigate this and hold anyone responsible.

I'm not holding my breath, though since the Russians have so much sway with the IOC and if having a state lab rigging drug tests isn't enough to get completely banned, this will be nothing. I do feel for Kamila because she's the least responsible party, but this sends a terrible message to the rest of the field and I think that nothing short of a complete walkout by every other female skater would get the message through that this should not stand. We really do need to have a reasonable minimum age for competing as a senior (I would argue that 17 would be fair) that would put the field on a more even level. It would also remove the impulse to burn out your skaters by the time their 18 if you can't even have them in international competition before they're nearly that age. Raising the minimum age seems to have helped with women's gymnastics, so we'll have to see how this goes.

In some good news, it looks like we might be able to cross one potential retirement off our watch list. Yuzuru "Mad Man" Hanyu had his press conference today and made it pretty clear that he's not ruling out a 4th Olympic games. While I do understand that he's not going to be the top competitor as he ages, he is still a very strong skater (when the ice isn't tripping him up and he's able to avoid injury). Hopefully he'll go back to Canada where Brian can rein in his his crazy and Yuzu can also help mentor the new generation of skaters that Brian is bringing up. As a fan, I'm kind of happy that I may get a few more years of watching him before he does retire.

Yeah.... that doesn't look like someone ready to call it quits just yet.

image.png

Edited by Hana Chan
  • Love 3