Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: Patriarchs and Goddesses

ESS
  • Start Topic

Darlene continues to navigate her breakup with Ben, and when she and Becky head to the movies and see Ben on a date, Darlene can't stop herself from interfering and making everyone uncomfortable. Meanwhile, Dan offers to talk with Aldo's dad, Jesse, when he doesn't approve of Harris and Aldo's relationship.

Wow, Aldo is an absolute loser according to his dad, unless the dad was lying (he’s certainly spacy). But the interference just pushed Aldo and Harris together; that situation will probably implode

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 9

That's some really good casting for Aldo's dad. They actually look like they could be related. 

I'm inclined to agree with Jesse's stance on Aldo and Harris' relationship and the idea of them moving in together, and I liked him talking with Dan about it. Not surprised Aldo and Harris refused to listen, though - I agree that this relationship is going to fall apart eventually, just curious as to how that'll happen, and when. 

I liked Dan and Jesse playing and singing together at the end, that was fun :). 

Also glad that Ben confronted Darlene over her behavior at the theater. I do wonder if it wouldn't do them well to put some physical distance between them, too, at least for a while. Like Ben said, that'd be hard to do, given his connection to her family, but I do think it would be something to try, just so they can each get their space and move on. Darlene's still got a ways to go with this spiritual quest she's on, she's not nearly as transformed as she seems to think she is, and she needs some time to herself to just focus on her, and not keep jumping into a new relationship. And if Ben's happy with this new woman he's met, he should have the space to focus on that, too. 

• Love 15

Joe Walsh was the highlight of the episode. I'm a HUGE Eagles fan, so it was great to see him. That was basically an over the top version of what he seems like in real life; there's a reason that he--and Randy Meisner, for that matter--seem to be the only two band members all the Eagles* get along with. :P

I also appreciated the tag scene--after some truly awkward scenes at the end that aren't always that funny, seeing Jesse and Dan (or even just Joe Walsh and John Goodman out of character) playing the guitar and harmonica on the couch together was enough for me. :D 

*Okay, I'll throw Timothy B. Schmidt in there, too. :) 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 19

I got caught up in something else and didn't even remember this was on until 9:20, so I will have to wait until it's available on the ABC website to watch the bulk of it.  I doubt I missed much, though.

"It's not really goodbye unless you're prepared to kill me" was funny, and it was nice to see Joe Walsh - the jam session at the end was fun even if it was random like that time they brought on Blues Traveler so John Goodman and John Popper could perform together.

But, ugh, this wack-ass Aldo/Harris relationship and Darlene making an idiotic jerk of herself over Ben - again - are not exactly things that make me eager to catch up on what I missed. 

• Love 13

I actually want Harris to move in with Aldo. Let the little brat be the breadwinner to the loser and play mom to his two out of control kids. Lets see how long that lasts. Aldo's dad was right that a 19 year old doesn't need to raise three children. He's not even a lovable loser who tries to contribute. I don't understand that relationship.

The Connor household may have hardships but at least it's improving now that Dan is letting his kids help. Harris is better off going home and take classes at the community college, or work full time and save money. But I guess she can learn the hard way. And with Harris out of the house, maybe Darlene will learn she doesn't have to live in fear of her daughter's emotional abuse.

Can you tell I despise the character? LOL

• LOL 2
  • Love 19

Besides Dan, Ben has no reason to be around any of the Conners. Darlene needs to work on herself and needs distance but Ben needs distance from the Conners for himself and Darlene. 

Darlene: get help! Such a shame Darlene's character has been reduced to this.

Jesse is spacey but it takes a good parent to see their kid's shortcomings and look out for someone else so they're not pulled into their mess.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Arcadiasw said:

Besides Dan, Ben has no reason to be around any of the Conners. Darlene needs to work on herself and needs distance but Ben needs distance from the Conners for himself and Darlene. 

I can also see Ben  wanting to be there for Mark. He doesn't want Mark to think he only hung out with him just because of Darlene. Mark (and Harris) were already abandoned by their real dad. But yeah, they can schedule time together without Darlene there.

I forgot to mention, did I hear correctly the story of Aldo's ex-wife was that she was on her way to a Masters degree until she got involved with Aldo? That's something Harris needs to hear instead of just ordering her to dump Aldo without an explanation. That just makes her do the opposite. But of course she always interrupt and run away when others are trying to say something so there's that.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 15

The Darlene chasing after Ben scenes are the definition of  crazy ex.  In real life, this would be protection order material.  Only thing Darlene hadn’t done is get physically violent. 
she’s failing at her spiritual  journey - since she’s not doing it for spiritual reasons anyway.  If she wants to improve herself, then do it. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 12
35 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I can also see Ben  wanting to be there for Mark. He doesn't want Mark to think he only hung out with him just because of Darlene. Mark (and Harris) were already abandoned by their real dad. But yeah, they can schedule time together without Darlene there.

And since when can he just casually walk through the front door, without so much as knocking, of a house he no longer lives in?

• Love 13
42 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I agree Ben wants to be there because he likes the kids but he also wants to be a Dad himself. It really is a fine line on what to do if you're friends with your ex's kids but Ben does need to put some space between them. I am glad Ben finally has a place of his own so he doesn't have to be at the Conner house anymore but what are the writers planning with Ben's character unless it's an eventual reconciliation with Darlene? 🤔🤷‍♀️

• Love 12

I definitely thought Aldo's dad was the highlight of this episode. I didn't know who was playing him until the closing credits rolled, but I knew it was "someone." He was really good, I hope he'll be recurring. 

So, the writers are capable of pulling off some funny scenes, if nothing else. Do I dare give them the benefit of the doubt where Darlene and Ben are concerned? It appears Darlene is not yet over Ben given her antics at the movie theater, and the look on Ben's face after she said goodbye and left his apartment makes me think he's not completely over her yet either. 

As for Harris, are we meant to think she has inherited the Conner gene for choosing bad boyfriends, like her mother and her aunt? Or are the writers really giving it that much thought? In either case I don't think the show realizes how unlikeable this character has become. I think she's supposed to be a mini Darlene in manner and attitude but she's just too abrasive and dumb, and without the wit that young Darlene had.

This episode was directed by Michael Fishman. At least he's doing something.

• Love 17

Ugh, why can't Aldo's dumb kids just be normal brats? This is the second reference to them intending to cause harm to animals and why are all these people taking it so lightly?!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
47 minutes ago, Brn2bwild said:

And since when can he just casually walk through the front door, without so much as knocking, of a house he no longer lives in?

Does he just walk though the door? I don't notice details like that. I figure whenever he has a scene in the house, someone let him in.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Ugh, why can't Aldo's dumb kids just be normal brats? This is the second reference to them intending to cause harm to animals and why are all these people taking it so lightly?!

They did the same thing with DJ. And they just shrugged it off as if it's a normal thing boys do. Yeah, only if you want them to grow up to be serial killers.

I loved Jesse  and Dan talking about their messed up kids though. Darlene needs get a grip on herself. I have no sympathy for people who hassle their exes like that.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, UYI said:

Joe Walsh was the highlight of the episode. I'm a HUGE Eagles fan, so it was great to see him. That was basically an over the top version of what he seems like in real life--there's a reason that he--and Randy Meisner, for that matter--seem to be the only two band members all the Eagles get along with. :P

I also appreciated the tag scene--after some truly awkward scenes at the end that aren't always that funny, seeing Jesse and Dan (or even just Joe Walsh and John Goodman out of character) playing the guitar and harmonica on the couch together was enough for me. :D 

Another Eagles/JW fan here.  He also had a recurring role on Drew Carey playing a member of Drew's band. Joe and Ringo Starr are brothers in law because Joe's married to Marjorie Bach, Barbara's sister.

• Useful 6
  • Love 6
35 minutes ago, MrsEVH said:

Another Eagles/JW fan here.  He also had a recurring role on Drew Carey playing a member of Drew's band. Joe and Ringo Starr are brothers in law because Joe's married to Marjorie Bach, Barbara's sister.

Yes! I've only watched The Drew Carey Show a few times here and there over the years, but I've gone down the YouTube rabbit hole watching random scenes of the show, too; the audition scenes with him are great!

"Congratulations man, you've got the job!"

"...Whatever." XD

Edited by UYI
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 4

Joe Walsh was the highlight of the episode. I'm a HUGE Eagles fan, so it was great to see him. That was basically an over the top version of what he seems like in real life--there's a reason that he--and Randy Meisner, for that matter--seem to be the only two band members all the Eagles get along with. :P

I immediately recognized him as Joe, but couldn't pull up his last night from my brain.  I LOVED his character. I wish he would wander in and out of the Connersphere.  The scenes with him and Dan were enjoyable. 

WTH is wrong with Darlene? She was an absolute nut case at the movies. And then showing up to Ben's place.  Ben really dodged a bullet with that relationship. 

I must be one of the only ones that liked Harris.  Of course she's young and will make mistakes (considering her mother hasn't really been mothering a lot lately. . . or ever).  And Darlene declaring that she chooses terrible partners? How would that make a kid feel about her father?  

• Love 9

I don't think I can even "hate watch" this show anymore.  It's so bad!  The Darlene/Ben relationship has been over for a while, but yet they can't move on without either one of them being a jerk about it.  At this point, I don't understand why Ben is even part of the show anymore?  Because he works at the same place as Dan? (they rarely show Dan at work) And because he supposedly comes around to spend time with the kids? (which has happened once since they broke up.)  As for Darlene, she is just a total drag!  She's been miserable since she was a teenager so I don't see her changing...ever.  

I never liked Harris so I'm fine if she lives with Aldo and his psycho kids and they move away and are never heard from again.  

The "actress" who plays Becky is just awful!  I cringe every time she opens her mouth and overacts. 

Edited by juliet73
  • Love 5

I must be one of the only ones that liked Harris.  Of course she's young and will make mistakes (considering her mother hasn't really been mothering a lot lately. . . or ever).  And Darlene declaring that she chooses terrible partners? How would that make a kid feel about her father?  

I like her too and I agree that Darlene has been a shitty mother and David? Where the hell is he? I don't mean I think JG should be on the show but why can't they at least show the kids on the phone talking to him or have them mention a video chat they had or something?

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

This episode was directed by Michael Fishman. At least he's doing something

This wasn't his first time. I think that's where he prefers to be, behind the camera.

4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I definitely thought Aldo's dad was the highlight of this episode. I

I loved the random, "I got stung by bees and fell into a pile of bricks" which leads to Dan being confused, but then as Jessie keeps talking, makes it obvious that it was an explanation as to why he is the way that he is.  

Anyone find it weird in the first scene, Becky gets home with take out for Darlene while eveyrone else was already sitting at the table eating their home made meal.  

• Love 7

I don’t hate Harris; she is a product of her environment. The Conners are such terrible, stupid people what do expect of the third generation. That Mark has turned out smart and polite and self-aware is the exception that proves the rule, or whatever. 

What does Harris see in Aldo? Typically when a younger woman is attracted to a guy twice her age it’s because he’s very attractive or successful or rich or charming. Aldo is none of those things. 

Can someone refresh my memory why Mark is named Mark? Seems odd since that was David’s brother and Becky’s husband and I barely recall, but I thought the Conners didn’t care for him. Would Darlene name her kid after him?

And I’ll beat this drum till this show dies, but why are these people so poor? Does Darlene work? Becky and Dan have full-time jobs. Why isn’t the house paid off yet? It’s been 40 years since they bought it. Makes no sense. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

Darlene and Ben seem to be stalking each other.  Both acting crazy.

I guess they could have named Mark after David's brother.  I'll buy that.

I never though of Darlene as this crazy in the original show.  She was a smart teen.

Does everyone now know about Harris's having moved into the trailer?  Does Darlene know?  Is this to be understood after that  scene from last week?  I need a continuity check.

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Love 7

What does Harris see in Aldo? Typically when a younger woman is attracted to a guy twice her age it’s because he’s very attractive or successful or rich or charming. Aldo is none of those things. 

I've known young people whose home lives were so horrific, they would  live under a bridge rather than at home. The Conners are idiots but they aren't abusive. I don't get it either.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

This episode was directed by Michael Fishman.

On one of the late night shows (forget which) John Goodman said they're doing an upcoming episode written by Lecy Goranson . Think this'll be her second one.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I guess they could have named Mark after David's brother.  I'll buy that.

Roseanne returned to ABC after two decades off the air, and the show has made sure to pay tribute to late actor Glenn Quinn in a few ways. Quinn, who played Mark Healy in the original series, passed away from an accidental heroin overdose in 2002, and while talking about Roseanneduring a panel on The Talk, actress Sara Gilbert — who reprises her role as Darlene Conner — explained the sweet way that she and former costar Johnny Galecki decided to pay homage to Quinn in their own way.

Sara and Johnny decided to name their “son” in honor of Glenn Quinn who played the original Mark.  OG Mark wasn’t just some background character, he was supposed to be a one episode character and the producers loved Quinn’s acting skills and brought Mark back. And Mark/Glenn stuck around for 7 seasons.

• Useful 3
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, Rocknrollzombie said:

Sara and Johnny decided to name their “son” in honor of Glenn Quinn who played the original Mark.  OG Mark wasn’t just some background character, he was supposed to be a one episode character and the producers loved Quinn’s acting skills and brought Mark back. And Mark/Glenn stuck around for 7 seasons.

Thanks, @Rocknrollzombie.  I was pretty sure there was a tribute to the late Glenn Quinn involved. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, juliet73 said:

The "actress" who plays Becky is just awful!  I cringe every time she opens her mouth and overacts. 

Becky 2.0 in the original series was even worse.  She was the one that made me cringe.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, juliet73 said:

Mileage varies and I'm biased because I love her, but I think Lecy is a better actress than most have ever given her credit for, it's just that she's almost never given something worthy of her talent. Last season's story where Becky relapsed and went into rehab proved that she is up to the challenge if someone actually bothers to give her one. Do I think some of her line readings can be weird? Yes. But given that she's mostly been reduced to one-liners at this point, I can see her trying to take them as far as she can if they're not going to give her anything else. 

• Love 18

OK--I said it before, but I'll say it again--THAT WHOLE FAMILY HAS A DRINKING PROBLEM;

Becky in rehab

Dan swilling down every time we see him

Darlene drinking wine

Jackie looking for pain killers at the dr.s office

Mark on Adderal

THERE SHOULD BE  NO ALCOHOL IN THAT HOUSE

Edited by One Tough Cookie
  • Love 9
7 minutes ago, One Tough Cookie said:

OK--I said it before, but I'll y it again--THAT WHOLE FAMILY HAS A DRINKING PROBLEM;

Becky in rehab

Dan swilling down every time we see him

Darlene drinking wine

Jackie looking for pain killers at the dr.s office

Mark on Adderal

THERE SHOULD BE  NO ALCOHOL IN THAT HOUSE

Definitely. One thing that stood out from the original series was the trip to Disney. They weren’t even in the park for 5 minutes when Dan decided to go running towards Epcot because they didn’t serve alcohol in the Magic Kingdom. 

• Love 6
36 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

Definitely. One thing that stood out from the original series was the trip to Disney. They weren’t even in the park for 5 minutes when Dan decided to go running towards Epcot because they didn’t serve alcohol in the Magic Kingdom. 

I honestly liked the Disney episode, I loved Mark’s little fist pump when the running sequence is almost finishing during that scene. It was nice to see the Healy brothers act like kids excited about going to Disney world. Because they probably had few happy moments in their childhood.

• Love 4

Jesse and Dan were the most enjoyable part of the show.  The jam at the end was cool.

Hopefully Joe Walsh can guest star again sometime.  Guess he and Dan could bond over beer and the eventual breakup of Harris and Aldo, or their marriage.  Whatever!

• Love 11
23 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

If Darlene is the new Roseanne, I guess Harris and Aldo are the new Becky and Mark. 

Dan and Jesse were fun. They should keep him as a recurring character; Dan could use more friends his age. 

At least Becky and Mark were more mature than Harris and Aldo especially Aldo. You can’t compare Mark to Aldo.

Edited by Rocknrollzombie
  • Love 4
56 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

If Darlene is the new Roseanne, I guess Harris and Aldo are the new Becky and Mark. 

Dan and Jesse were fun. They should keep him as a recurring character; Dan could use more friends his age. 

And when is his wife/Katey Sagal coming back???

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

And when is his wife/Katey Sagal coming back???

Well I think Louise will now be back in March because the Olympics are coming up (February 4th until the 20th) which I had forgotten about, she was supposed to be in this episode for I believe a cameo according to the writers, but wasn't for some reason, but we will have two new episodes on the 2nd & 23rd of February with Louise coming back in the 14th episode - again according to the writers which would be March 2nd's episode. 

Edited by ESS
  • Useful 5
5 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

It seemed like they were ignoring Katey Sagal completely in this episode.  They could at least have mentioned her for continuity's sake. 

Yeah true, but as I said she was supposed to be in this one though a short time. I was so mad she wasn't, still am. I miss Louise so much! I would have taken her on the phone with Dan saying how much she missed him, couldn't wait to see him or how much she loves him, just anything instead of nothing.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

It seemed like they were ignoring Katey Sagal completely in this episode.  They could at least have mentioned her for continuity's sake.

They also completely ignored Mark's drug/school problem. The continuity on this show is abysmal. At this point they just seem to be showing episodes in random order.

• Love 9
22 minutes ago, Cherpumple said:

They also completely ignored Mark's drug/school problem. The continuity on this show is abysmal. At this point they just seem to be showing episodes in random order.

Yeah, self-absorbed brooding Darlene is too busy stalking her ex-boyfriend and introducing herself to his date at the movies to be involved in her troubled son's life.  I really hope the goodbye plant is really goodbye, but we know it isn't.

• Love 8

I guess Aldo is a symptom of Harris daddy issues.   I don’t see any other reason for her to be so enamored with that doofus.   

At least mark was Beckys age and good looking.  Aldo is gross.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 10