Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: Patriarchs and Goddesses

ESS
  • Start Topic

On 1/20/2022 at 9:10 AM, Arcadiasw said:

I agree Ben wants to be there because he likes the kids but he also wants to be a Dad himself. It really is a fine line on what to do if you're friends with your ex's kids but Ben does need to put some space between them. I am glad Ben finally has a place of his own so he doesn't have to be at the Conner house anymore but what are the writers planning with Ben's character unless it's an eventual reconciliation with Darlene? 🤔🤷‍♀️

Yeah, I'm assuming they'll end up back together, that's the only reason I can guess why he keeps appearing. I almost think this is going to be one of those things where Darlene finally starts to get over him after this episode only for him to come running back.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Yeah, I'm assuming they'll end up back together, that's the only reason I can guess why he keeps appearing.

The actor has last billing even for episodes in which he doesn't appear, so the character isn't going away any time soon. 

Unfortunately, I strongly suspect that's not because they'll provide a nuanced exploration of how Darlene and Ben learn to navigate a new dynamic where he still has a relationship with Mark and employs Dan but no longer has a romantic tie to Darlene, but because they'll just drag this relationship that won't die on and on and on. 

It's round two of what they did with Darlene and David, where their romantic relationship had run its course, but he was still well and truly part of the Conner family; instead of exploring the effect of those changed circumstances, they just kept on the same tired path and ultimately shoved them into a pregnancy-induced marriage (that they probably still wouldn't have let go of if they could have kept Johnny Galecki in a recurring role in this spinoff).

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

I only just realized this week that Aldo is played by the guy who plays Keefe on Righteous Gemstones. Hilarious. He does make me laugh but I can't fathom what the draw is for Harris. It feels like his being too old for her literally is the draw - the only one. (And now, of course, that the people who love her think he sucks.)

This show just kinda makes me sad now. I think they need to alternate who gets stories at all instead of every week having a Darlene story and a someone-else story. Just...less Darlene. And I don't even hate her, but I think it's only residual affection at this point.

• Love 8

Normally I roll my eyes at stunt casting, but I loved Joe Walsh as Aldo's dad.  A lot more than I like Aldo, actually. 

And I really don't remember if Aldo has two or three kids. Which is it? I do remember the two (?) creepy teenagers who showed up at the Conner house once for some reason. 

And we saw Mary and D.J.! But not Mark. Maybe they're contractually prohibited from having all 3 likeable characters in one episode. It would draw too much attention away from Darlene. Apparently her "spiritual journey" doesn't include not blaming others for her own hideous mistakes. Like, it was Ben's fault for "driving away" Nick, and Becky's fault for....something. Not stopping her from making an ass of herself at the theatre or something. Ugh. 

• Love 8
5 hours ago, lostsock said:

And I really don't remember if Aldo has two or three kids. Which is it? I do remember the two (?) creepy teenagers who showed up at the Conner house once for some reason.

He has two kids. It was confusing because Dan and Jesse kept telling Harris that she would be "raising three kids," implying that Aldo is so immature that he'd be like a third kid.

5 hours ago, lostsock said:

Apparently her "spiritual journey" doesn't include not blaming others for her own hideous mistakes. Like, it was Ben's fault for "driving away" Nick, and Becky's fault for....something. Not stopping her from making an ass of herself at the theatre or something. Ugh.

At this point, I have to assume that the writers are just trolling us. They can't honestly expect us to root for Darlene, right? Not with her selfishness, pettiness, and appalling lack of self-awareness. If I had been drinking, I would have done a spit take when she described herself as "new and improved." She just too absurd to be taken seriously.

• Love 9
On 1/22/2022 at 10:15 PM, lostsock said:

And we saw Mary and D.J.! But not Mark. Maybe they're contractually prohibited from having all 3 likeable characters in one episode. It would draw too much attention away from Darlene. Apparently her "spiritual journey" doesn't include not blaming others for her own hideous mistakes. Like, it was Ben's fault for "driving away" Nick, and Becky's fault for....something. Not stopping her from making an ass of herself at the theatre or something. Ugh. 

I thought I saw Mark at the breakfast table? Not positive though.

I know Beverly Rose was there. She's was really cute watching the others.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 3
On 1/23/2022 at 4:39 AM, Cherpumple said:

They can't honestly expect us to root for Darlene, right? Not with her selfishness, pettiness, and appalling lack of self-awareness. If I had been drinking, I would have done a spit take when she described herself as "new and improved." She just too absurd to be taken seriously.

Apparently they are setting us up for some kind of redemption story with Darlene so that Hot Ben will take her back.  But she's going too far and pretty soon, nobody is going to care as it becomes less believable that anybody would take her back after her shenanigans. 

• Love 7

What was Mary’s line about what her dad told her about Darlene breakup?  Something about a soulless spider.  Can’t remember the exact Quote but it was funny. 
     I found it interesting that Darlene makes fun of her family but she can’t take it when they do the same to her.  

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, tribeca said:

What was Mary’s line about what her dad told her about Darlene breakup?  Something about a soulless spider.  Can’t remember the exact Quote but it was funny. 
     I found it interesting that Darlene makes fun of her family but she can’t take it when they do the same to her.  

She started being that way after she went away to school. There was an episode where they inherited a tiny bit of money and decided to treat the family to dinner out. She came back and said she'd had a job offer and they kind of gave her a rough time because she'd turned it down and Conners did not do that. She was downright nasty in that episode.

• Love 2
On 1/19/2022 at 7:20 PM, nelroy78 said:

Darlene made an absolute fool out of herself! 

On 1/20/2022 at 6:24 AM, Arcadiasw said:

Darlene: get help! Such a shame Darlene's character has been reduced to this.

Last season I said that the show is becoming a re-hash of the original, with Darlene as the new Roseanne, Becky as the new Jackie, etc.. After seeing Darlene at the theater, I thought - I guess Darlene is the new (wacky) Jackie now

On 1/20/2022 at 8:20 AM, iMonrey said:

So, the writers are capable of pulling off some funny scenes, if nothing else. Do I dare give them the benefit of the doubt where Darlene and Ben are concerned? It appears Darlene is not yet over Ben given her antics at the movie theater, and the look on Ben's face after she said goodbye and left his apartment makes me think he's not completely over her yet either. 

I turned to me husband and said, "I bet the writers were thinking that viewers will be rooting for Ben and Darlene to get back together and they will tease us that they are split up for good.  But, in reality, the viewers are probably happy that the relationship is finally over."  I do think that the plan is for them to get back together, unfortunately.  

Darlene seems to have forgotten that she cheated on Ben twice (the second guy was supposedly a platonic relationship, but it was at least emotional cheating).  

On 1/20/2022 at 5:32 PM, One Tough Cookie said:

OK--I said it before, but I'll say it again--THAT WHOLE FAMILY HAS A DRINKING PROBLEM;

Becky in rehab

Dan swilling down every time we see him

Darlene drinking wine

Jackie looking for pain killers at the dr.s office

Mark on Adderal

THERE SHOULD BE  NO ALCOHOL IN THAT HOUSE

And then there was Roseanne's addiction to pain killers.  I guess the writers think substance abuse is hilarious.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, needschocolate said:

I turned to me husband and said, "I bet the writers were thinking that viewers will be rooting for Ben and Darlene to get back together and they will tease us that they are split up for good.  But, in reality, the viewers are probably happy that the relationship is finally over."  I do think that the plan is for them to get back together, unfortunately.  

Darlene seems to have forgotten that she cheated on Ben twice (the second guy was supposedly a platonic relationship, but it was at least emotional cheating).  

Can I just say I like how, I like that even for those of us who practically tear this show bit by bit. And those who enjoy it We don’t start name calling and tell each other to basically buzz off the forum. The Conners Reddit is a cesspool.

Anyways it surprises me when I read some tweets that some people still root for Ben and Darlene and some people think Darlene was in the right to go all paranoid stalker at the movie theater. 

like it surprises me how people root for this version of the family like they all have traits that would annoy  the hell out of me if I knew them in real life. Like the original iteration of the family wouldn’t really bother me but the Conner version If I were neighbors with them I would be moving out of state or country.

• Love 5

Darlene, STOP TRYING TO RUIN BEN’S RELATIONSHIPS!! This show has pretty much made her into some sort of cartoon.

Not only is it very telling that Aldo’s spacey father was more concerned about Aldo being bad for Harris, but the fact that Aldo’s ex was on her way to a good life before getting involved with him (?) should have been something Harris was there to hear. But the way the adults presented it to her only made her more determined to move in with Aldo.

Out of curiosity, when is Louise coming back? She’s the outsider/voice of reason to the Conner family.

• Love 4
(edited)
12 hours ago, Virtual said:

Out of curiosity, when is Louise coming back? She’s the outsider/voice of reason to the Conner family.

She's coming back on March 2nd the 14th episode I believe (I admit I had forgotten about the Olympics coming up next month) although she was supposed be in this episode for a short time.  

Edited by ESS
  • Useful 3

I finally pulled the plug on this show, and I stuck with it through the last few seasons of the original show that were Roseanne-ego driven (and terrible). Sarah/Darlene is "Roseanne'ing" the show and it has become unwatchable for me. Sorry, because I like the other characters/actors, but they are caught in the maelstrom of producer/show-runner Sarah's delusions.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MarthaEllisanne said:

I finally pulled the plug on this show, and I stuck with it through the last few seasons of the original show that were Roseanne-ego driven (and terrible). Sarah/Darlene is "Roseanne'ing" the show and it has become unwatchable for me. Sorry, because I like the other characters/actors, but they are caught in the maelstrom of producer/show-runner Sarah's delusions.

At least Roseanne ‘ego driven’ seasons were better than the conner 4 seasons

• Love 5
On 1/20/2022 at 3:56 PM, perkie1968 said:

Anyone find it weird in the first scene, Becky gets home with take out for Darlene while eveyrone else was already sitting at the table eating their home made meal.  

She's the only vegan in the family, so she either has to make a separate meal for herself, or occasionally get a vegan meal from her favorite place.  Becky said the café was on her way home.

• Useful 3