Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: Babylon's Ashes

raven
  • Start Topic

In the thrilling season finale, Inners and Belters fight side by side with the crew of the Rocinante in a last, massive, desperate battle with Marco and his Free Navy, with the fate of the Solar System, the Ring Gates, and of all humanity hanging in the balance.

Airdate 2021.14.22

Please keep your discussion to this episode only.  No book talk even if you use spoiler tags, thank you!

8 minutes ago, NeenerNeener said:

I don't see how they can possible wrap up all the ongoing story lines in this last episode.

Well, with the glaring exception of the Laconia storyline (which was kind of expected, at this point), that seems to be precisely what they did.

I loved James Holden immediately giving control to the Transport Union to Drummer-he knows that Avasarala can't and won't do a goddam thing about it. Camillia is now one of the most important people in the universe.

Watching through the closing credits, it seems to me, the evil entitites in the Ring, are waking up for good...

• Love 10

Yeah, they pulled it off.    Bye, Marco Man Bun!  The dark entity dissipation effect looked good but I wish we had had a little bit more time with that.

Filip gets out just in time to name himself "Filip Nagata".  

I'm glad the Roci crew came back together as a family.  Nice to see Bobbie in fighting form.

Oooh, Avasarala didn't see the end run being done around her!  Still looking fabulous though.  I enjoyed the smile and handshake for the cameras when you know she wanted to cuss Holden out.   Holden and Drummer were right with their plan though.  Now the Belters will have an equal voice.  

Damn, show, I'm going to miss you.

• Love 16

I just wonder why they added the Laconia story at all if they aren't going to do anything with it. So either a movie or two to finish off the books, or a new series at some point? Fingers crossed.

Earlier this week I put in two Dolby Atmos speakers in the ceiling, and added a second subwoofer to the mix, along with bass shakers in the seats. The show on Amazon is in 4k/HDR and I watched it on a new OLED screen. Honestly, short of it being presented on a cinema screen, this is the best quality I've ever reproduced in my home theater.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Loved Holden and Drummer pulling one over Avasarala one more time. I didn’t read the books but I was surprised that Holden would agree to any sort of a leadership role where he would be beholden to Earth, Mars and the Belt. But as soon as Avasarala said “Don’t you fucking dare,” I knew exactly what Holden was going to pull.

Loved that everyone had one more big moment. The flashback to Naomi and Baby Filip caught me off guard. I know I wanted Drummer to end Marco but it had to be Naomi.

I wish the space fights had been longer but that is a tiny complaint. I really loved the ending, so many seeds planted for a possible second show saving, but a strong finale if they don’t.

I guess its finally time to start reading the series.

• Love 8

That was a really good ending for the show. Especially the last shot. Great TV.

Holden fucked over Avasarala and he got away with only a death glare. She loves him. Drummer as the head of the trade union is a good choice. Even if Earth and Mars don't see it right now, they will, in time.

I was wondering the whole time if Filip might have left the ship before the transit through the ring, since we didn't see him getting wiped alongside Marco. Glad for Naomi that he did.

I guess all that Laconia bullshit was setup for a spin-off series? (I hadn't looked up any additional information about it)

If so: Boooo. They didn't have to burn screen time in the last, shortened, covid stricken, season of the Expanse for it. I think any Expanse viewer would have watched it anyway, if they had only teased it through communication with Marco. In fact all the scenes on Laconia have made me far less likely to watch that show, because man was that some boring-ass bullshit.

If not: What the fuck was all this for?

Still sad that they didn't see this through to the end of the book series. Guess I'll have/get to read the books now. Wondering if I should start in the beginning or at the point where the show stoped. Any recommendations? And which book are we up to with the show now?

1 hour ago, StarBrand said:

Watching through the closing credits, it seems to me, the evil entitites in the Ring, are waking up for good...

I mean, are they evil? The ring creators destroyed planets with life on them, for seemingly no reason. Would have been one thing if the protomolecule had taken a chunk of the planet to built facilities and a ring. But it seems it always wiped out all complex life on the planet. What is that about? Why would you do that, when at the end you are only left with a rock? There are a ton of rocks out there. Inhabitable planets are rare.

So the ring beings might be the good guys here.

• Love 10

For all the screen time she got, Rosenberg seemed to get a quick and sudden exit.

She’s credited on IMDB, but did Monica have an appearance? If so,I missed it.

Nice to see that the missiles Bobbie trained with back in S2 were put to use.

I saw on a Reddit thread that pretty much all the drop pod names were shout outs - Ripley, Riker, etc.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

The Laconia storyline was such a time waste. So the head guy screwed Marco over. Did he have the protomolecule then? Man, I disliked that little girl. 

The end of Marco was pretty rushed, but I was glad to get rid of him and move on to more interesting stuff. I loved that Holden and Drummer teamed up to make Drummer the head of the trade union. Only Holden could fuck over Avasarala and get away with it.

I'm glad that the Rocinante fam came away intact and with the addition of Bobbie. I'm even okay with Filip getting away. 

• Love 9

I must confess that the first 74% of this episode with the battles lost me.  I couldn't quite discern the geometry of where everyone was or what they were trying to accomplish.  This felt like a season 3 episode 4 episode of a much bigger show.  I did enjoy the political machinations of the coda.  However, after all the protomolecule stuff, the Thomas Jane visions, etc it all boiled down to blah blah bang bang.  After the first viewing of this finale I'm bewildered and disappointed. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Msample said:

She’s credited on IMDB, but did Monica have an appearance? If so,I missed it.

She was sitting there at the end when Holden delivered his speech and recording it.

As usual the battle scenes went right over my head, but YT will fix that.

Loved details like Bobbie nixing Red Kibble in the bud LOL! And I'm glad they finally have a Martian back in the pilot seat.

Naomi had to pull the trigger, that was great scene as was Holden comforting her afterwards. When TLS told TBS that he never had a choice I thought 'Yes, you did when your mother was around'. And he remembered 'sometimes the only choice is to walk away'. Good for him and maybe one day he can let Naomi know.

Drummer leaving her quarters with all the empty beds around her was another great scene. She did get quite the spiffy outfit in the end! And we also got to see Josep and his prosthetic hand and Michio, so Drummer will have at least some of her family back. And the Admin of Ceres has finally come around too.

Avasarala got played and she deserved it. Giving control over Medina to another Earther and making Drummer vice-president was BS. I could see why neither she or the Martian government wanted to give in and hand the Belters their fair share. Maybe deep down she knew Holden would do it and that's why she suggested him in the first place. Now she can claim that James f******* Holden handed the Ring Space to the Belters.

Aww to Peaches and Amos and their matching pins.

I'm happy how they pulled it off and I'm not interested in the spin off or whatever they intend to do with the Laconia arc.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Like 1
  • Love 9

Beautiful finale. Perfect ending for everyone. 

My scattered thoughts:

• The takeout of Marco was exquisite. His realization that he was done for came too late, and it was so delightful to watch.
  • Filip choosing to leave (and change his name!) warmed my heart.
  • Clarissa came through in the clutch, but also learned she's only got 5 years left. 
  • Bobbie was a damn G! Loved the callback to her intro in season 2.
  • Drummer remains the awesomest. "I will not be reasoned back into my place" is going to be my new mantra.
  • Holden accepting the Transport Union job then handing it to Drummer was perfection!
  • Naomi's anguish about killing the Pella was so hard to watch. Dominique Tipper has been incredible in this role.

Have I mentioned that I LOVED this finale?

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 13

Durling the scene where Inaros was "inspiring" his crew, did anyone but me think, as they were all gathering around him, that was going to be the point where they all said "enough of this shit", and were about to beat him to death?

Holden outsmarted Chrisjen by making her put certain things in writing, like making Drummer the vice-president of the union. Presumably nowhere was it written that he could not resign and give the position to her.  He was right though-if everyone was truly serious about doing things differently, that was the way to go, and Holden knows Chrisjen isn't stupid enough to fuck that up. I believe she was actually impressed he would have the balls to deceive her like that, even though she'll never admit it.

I liked that Drummer said Holden had come up with a plan that would "make a Belter proud". Conveys a huge amount of respect in one line.

Peaches to Amos-"You know, for someone that never wants to be a hero, you sure keep acting like one." Same could be said of everyone else, really.  True heros never think they are.

Edited by StarBrand
  • Like 1
  • Love 13

What a fantastic six seasons. Tremendous story lines, great characters and character development, amazing production values... One of the best and certainly most realistic sci-fi space operas I have ever seen. I could watch this show, season after season, until the heat-death of the universe. Alas, that is not to be.

This season was in no way a comedown when compared to the previous ones. They had a lot to cover, they had pandemic related difficulties to overcome, and consequently less episodes to work with. Yet I believe they did great job.

The only component I side-eye is the Laconia segments. I can't see the point of them. They didn't tie up any threads, and played no part in the conclusion of the show. (Although it was nice to see them betray TBS at the end.) And as for the idea of the raising of the dead by Laconian dogs, I will simply refer you to the tale of The Monkey's Paw by W. W. Jacobs.

The last episode was a great finale. Marco got his comeuppance (although I still would have preferred some sort of freak Vacuum-Toilet accident), Filip found a small measure of redemption in his walking away (and in so doing, gave hope to eventual inner peace for Naomi), and generally, the crew of the Roci as well as the other major players were each settled in their own way. Peace appears to be breaking out between Earth, Mars and the Belt, with every indication that things will get better. 

They did fake me out when they appointed Holden as the president of the Transport Union at that meeting when I thought that clearly, the ideal person for the job was Drummer. But when Holden's teleprompter said "END" and he kept talking -- to Avasarala's surprise, I knew he was going to do what needed to be done.

So, thank you James S. A. Corey (both of them), Syfy, Amazon, production, cast and crew. Thanks for an incredible and unforgettable experience. And thanks also to the forum members who posted comments, thoughts, analysis and unique perspectives of the episodes, season by season, episode by episode. You were a part of the experience too, and without you, I'm sure there was much I would have missed and much I would not have fully appreciated.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Like 1
  • Love 15
46 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

What a fantastic six seasons. Tremendous story lines, great characters and character development, amazing production values... One of the best and certainly most realistic sci-fi space operas I have ever seen

Agreed. Watching this finale was such a bittersweet experience, in fact I put off watching it for a couple of days because I didn't want it to be over. I finally watched it this morning when it was quiet and no one would interrupt the experience. (Except Mr. Melina walked in front of the TV right as Marco dissolved into redness. Justifiable homicide was narrowly avoided.) 

12 hours ago, Mr. R0b0t said:

I must confess that the first 74% of this episode with the battles lost me.  I couldn't quite discern the geometry of where everyone was or what they were trying to accomplish. 

Thank you for saying this. I had to keep rewinding and freezing to figure out who was where in relation to the Ring, Ring station, Medina Station, etc. Never  got it 100% straight. 

12 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Aww to Peaches and Amos and their matching pins.

What were the pins about? Obviously a reference to something I've forgotten. 

12 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Loved details like Bobbie nixing Red Kibble in the bud LOL! 

It was so cathartic and satisfying to see them all once again sitting around, joking and eating together. I missed Alex though. 

2 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

Have I mentioned that I LOVED this finale?

You're certainly not alone. I'll be doing a rewatch of the series soon, and I'm halfway through the audiobook of Leviathan Wakes. But I wish there was a magic pill I could take so I could rewatch things I loved for the first time. Nothing quite beats that. 

• Love 9

I loved this finale, but I kind of wanted something out of the blue, like when they were doing the pod check-ins, for Amos to say, "Hey Bobbie, if we make it, wanna get married? I've never been married before." And her replying, "Why the hell not? I've never been married before either." Just to see the looks on everyone's faces.

So Laconia is covered in protomolecule and Xan is the new Gage from Pet Semetary/Julie Mao. The parents were right to lock the little creeper in the closet. 

I loved it. I loved it so much. 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

just wonder why they added the Laconia story at all if they aren't going to do anything with it. So either a movie or two to finish off the books, or a new series at some point?

It definitely seems like a set-up for a spin-off series.  If so, I hope the little kids die permanently and immediately.  Actually, I hope everyone on Laconia dies and the series starts off as a mystery trying to piece together what happened to the lost colony.

4 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Marco got his comeuppance (although I still would have preferred some sort of freak Vacuum-Toilet accident)

Yes, please.  If only Filip had also died this way.  I don't like that he survived.  He didn't do anything redemptive other than walk away after Rosenberg got killed and Marco was too cavalier about it.  Seriously, that's what finally made him leave?  Twit. 

I thought this was a great series finale (excepting the Laconia stuff).  I did wonder at introducing Clarissa's ailment at the last minute.  Thankfully it wasn't really relevant to the plot - she overcame an issue without resorting to using her mods and thus probably killing herself.  Nice that the writers avoided that trope.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, mac123x said:

It definitely seems like a set-up for a spin-off series.  If so, I hope the little kids die permanently and immediately.  Actually, I hope everyone on Laconia dies and the series starts off as a mystery trying to piece together what happened to the lost colony.

Marco, is that you? 

Just kidding. It sounds good to me too.  Between zombie Xan tottering around, his sister planting her phone in the jungle MacGyver-style, and his mother trying to act more than mildly perturbed, I'm ready for your solution. 😁

Come to think of it: the part about Cara and her comm device made no sense. When did she have the time to come up with the idea, do the recording and plant the thing a considerable distance away from home. There wasn't enough time between her parents freaking out and her returning to free Xan. Are we supposed to think she anticipated her parents reaction and had it all prepared just in case Mom and Dad would store zombie brother in a cupboard

3 hours ago, Melina22 said:

What were the pins about? Obviously a reference to something I've forgotten. 

I don't think it was ever mentioned explicitly but Amos wore that pin pretty much throughout the show until he lost it during the attack on Earth. To be honest I've never noticed it (probably because I looked at something else -ahem-) but when you do a picture search it's always there up until season 5. He wore it when he went visiting Clarissa in prison.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I chalk up the Laconia storyline to the business end in case there is a sequel series...

Though the wrapped up storyline I really can't complain about:

Chrisjen: Loved the callback to the first season where Earth came first above all for her and she had no compulsions in torturing a Belter for intel.   Her growth was the one of the best things about the series, and has there ever been any TV character  who wore jewelry seemingly as armor as magnificently as she did? 

Loved the confirmation yet again that Amos & Bobby were the two baddest badasses to ever roam a universe and woe be to anyone and anything that gets in their way.

I get that James Holden was the necessary trope:  noble "leader" and no diss on Steven Strait,  but dang, compared to so many of the other characters he was sooo boring.  Season 6 did not change my opinion.    Reversing the usual "white male savior" endgame was nice.

Drummer:  Making her a fearless fighter  AND a humanitarian supplying badly needed supplies makes her  storyend arc make even more sense.   Drummer was basically the flip side of Marco,  acutely aware of the injustices against her people but it was never about her pride and position but the Belters.  I loved how BOTH Marcos and Drummer's followers were shown sincere and even good people fighting for a cause they believed in.   Oye! Beltalowda  indeed.

Marcos Inaros, another boring character but at least his  death was silent, no chance for another wordy tirade.

"Peaches"/Clarissa was a pleasant surprise, in that I initially didn't see the point of her reintroduction but the personal struggle to redeem herself struck a chord, and Naomi's gradual acceptance of her just reminded us again what a genuinely good person Naomi is. 

And I'm sorry, but yes, the callout of pilot  Alex was a great emotional  touch, with the characters singing along to a Hank Williams tune, now THAT'S  how you do a departed character tribute.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Like 1
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, Melina22 said:

You're certainly not alone. I'll be doing a rewatch of the series soon, and I'm halfway through the audiobook of Leviathan Wakes.

Is the book shubstantially different from the show? Still trying to decide if I should start the books from the beginning or from where the show left off.

4 hours ago, Melina22 said:

But I wish there was a magic pill I could take so I could rewatch things I loved for the first time. Nothing quite beats that. 

Nothing a small lobotomy can't fix! :D

19 minutes ago, caracas1914 said:

I get that James Holden was the necessary trope:  noble "leader" and no diss on Steven Strait,  but dang, compared to so many of the other characters he was sooo boring.  Season 6 did not change my opinion.

I thought that was always sufficiently deconstructed. For example this seaosn Amos and Bobby talked about how his compulsion to "do the right thing" and make everybody happy had gotten them into a lot of shit more than once. Like when he disabled that torpedo.

And was he pretty boring? Yeah. But I think you need a calm center with all these strong and crazy characters around. Otherwise you have a cartoon instead of a scifi show.

• Love 3

This finale was so fantastic.  The last shot was so beautiful.

And I loved the board that showed the names of the coalition soldiers.

Aliens:  Ripley, Hudson, Hicks, and Vasquez.  There is Thrace a/k/a Starbuck (still very, very bitter about Battlestar Gallactica's disaster of a finale.)  

But the prize goes to Star Wars - Ackbar.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47vyz3ip24jxi01oyhke

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
15 minutes ago, Zonk said:

Is the book shubstantially different from the show? Still trying to decide if I should start the books from the beginning or from where the show left off.

It's pretty similar so far in many ways, but so far (halfway through LW) Avasarala hasn't appeared. 

Personally I like starting things at the beginning. I plan to keep going till I reach the end of the book series. I may switch to actual books, though. I'm finding the story too complicated to enjoy in my usual listen-while-doing-other-things way. 

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, Macbeth said:

This finale was so fantastic.  The last shot was so beautiful.

Aliens:  Ripley, Hudson, Hicks, and Vasquez.  There is Thrace a/k/a Starbuck (still very, very bitter about Battlestar Gallactica's disaster of a finale.)  

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47vyz3ip24jxi01oyhke

Yes,  I loved that!   There's also R(ick) Deckard (Blade Runner), D(uncan) Idaho (Dune) and J(ack) O'Neill (Stargate), plus S(arah) Connor (Terminator)!

image.thumb.png.7637e5f4946b051127089807a5bab877.png

Edited by MrPissyPuppy
  • Useful 3
  • Love 6

This is all bullshit to be honest. Yeah the show is absolutely fantastic and to end it like this is kinda crap. This is just pure laziness and about money in the end. Why leave it open ended with so much left unanswered and with so much potential to tell any story in this awesome universe that they built up 6 seasons for? It makes no sense to me and I would really like to wring the necks of the top dogs who thought that this show needed to end and had nowhere left to go. You are definitely idiots for that Amazon. And who says a show has to follow a set path especially one that is set by a book series? Who cares what happened in the books this is TV where we actually get the chance to see our imagination come to life and like I said before the potential is enermorous for this show. Overall the finale was a good visual episode and I enjoyed seeing Marco disintegrate but it was a let down in terms of story for me and this isn't the first TV series that doesn't get its due diligence, especially because of money.

• Love 1

I am really impressed that they actually managed to wrap just about everything up (except for Laconia) in a really satisfying way, but I guess I shouldn't be so surprised. This has been an amazing show, one of my favorites of all time, and the finale did not let me down. We had action, political intrigue, aliens, but we still had time for some really wonderful human moments. This show has been such an amazing ride, wonderful cinematography, effects, acting, writing, and complex fascinating characters. They managed to leave a few doors open, like Laconia, the ring aliens, and Filip managing to escape, while also giving us a lot of closure. The Rocinante crew are feeling like a team again and looking forward to new adventures, Drummer is in charge of the new Transport Union, finally giving the Belt a real seat at the table, Marco is finally destroyed, the three factions are finally working together, and the rings will be open for further exploration. Lots of potential to come back to this show and universe again (which I hope to one day) but also a well earned, satisfactory conclusion. 

The terrible part of me wishes that Marco's downfall could have been a bit longer and more painful, but I did adore seeing his face as he realized how screwed he was before disintegrating. I have been rooting for Drummer to land the killing blow, but I think they made the right call having it be Naomi. He's been her boogeyman since day one, and that flashback to her holding baby Filip really punched me in the gut. I am mostly glad he made it for her sake, but he did at least finally realize at the end who his father really was. I might not much care for Filip but the actor did a great job, especially in that last scene where he was watching everyone chanting while Marco just soaked up the praise, like it was all really hitting him all he did for this selfish monster. 

I am so psyched that Drummer is going to finally have the power she deserves, the Belt could not have a better representative. I love every character on this show, but she is really high up there on my favorite character list. So tough, but also so painfully human and vulnerable. I should have known that Holden wouldn't take a position of so much official authority, and of course he had to have one last " big button push" moment before the show ended. And he made it while surviving one of Chrisjen's terrifying death glares, although I think she was even more impressed then pissed. Not many people can get one over on her, game recognizes game. I think she also realized that he was making sense, Marco didn't come out of nowhere, the Belt needs someone from the Belt to be their voice, not another Inner, or else that resentment will just keep simmering until we get even more violence. And it cant be denied that Drummer is a superstar, its not like there is anyone else who can do it better or rock eyeliner that badass. 

We got one last Chrisjen outfit, and it was an amazing one, finally a light colored outfit after a season of military flavored dark colors. This show has many amazing characters, but Chrisjen and Chrisjen's wardrobe is an all time classic. 

So we never get to find out if Bobbie took up Amos's offer about hitting up brothels together? Whether or not they did or did not, I am so glad we got to see them going badass on those giant guns, they're an amazing team. And more importantly, after spending all season dealing with a lot of tension, the Rocinante crew have finally made peace again, Naomi is even warming to Clarissa just a bit. Its bittersweet that Clarissa knows that she only has a few years left, but she seems to be at peace with it now that she has people who care about her and a purpose. Amos even gets to be her Naomi! Then the references to Alex, just a great way to remember a departed character. 

I really wish that this season was longer, and I could have especially done without everyone on Laconia, but it was a great finale season. Lots of references to past seasons and characters, lots of exciting space battles and stunning shots of space, and I am always impressed at how this show takes these stories with huge concepts of geopolitical conflicts, generational feuds, space exploration, ancient alien entities we cant comprehend, and these huge themes about what it means to be human, while also staying very human and grounded in characters and feelings who feel very real and relatable. I would love it if the show ever came back in some form or in a spin-off, but if this is the end, I am so grateful to everyone involved in the show for bringing this amazing story to us. 

• Like 1
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

This show has many amazing characters, but Chrisjen and Chrisjen's wardrobe is an all time classic. 

Absolutely. I can't think of another character who even comes close. It's impossible to picture this role with a different actress, or this actress without the unforgettable wardrobe. 

1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

I would love it if the show ever came back in some form or in a spin-off, but if this is the end, I am so grateful to everyone involved in the show for bringing this amazing story to us. 

I'm hoping for a Serenity*. For me, that would be perfect. 

*I was going to add "or a Veronica Mars: The Movie" but I'm not sure if this thread is Marshmallow-friendly. 😁

Edited by Melina22
  • Love 3

Random thoughts, beacuse that's what I have right now:

I literally stood up and and slow clapped when Holden resigned and made Drummer head of the trade union. Holden knows that he would be a disaster in that role. Drummer is a natural leader.

Naomi looked happy and peaceful in the end. Did she know that Filip esacped?

Loved Duarte screwing over Marcos. Did not see that coming.

The scene where Marcos tries to rouse what's left of his crew with yet another speech was really well done. The crew is exhausted and they lost Rosenfeld, a loss that Marcos can't even acknowledge.

Glad Bobbie is the Roci's new pilot. Did Peaches officially get a padon? 

Avasarala's stunning white outfit at the end was such a contrast to the actual, jewellry-free uniform she wore during battle.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 6

4 hours ago, mac123x said:

He didn't do anything redemptive other than walk away after Rosenberg got killed and Marco was too cavalier about it.  Seriously, that's what finally made him leave?  Twit. 

I knew that Filip escaped the ship mainly due to the commonality of such a plot twist in dramas.  And though Naomi appeared to have accepted the choice she made to pull the trigger on the Pella, I knew there was no way the show was going to close with that hanging over her. I thought they’d go further and reveal that she knew he was alive, but that may be a story for a sequel series if one is made. Considering all he’d done in association with his father (and his choice to change his name) I’m betting Filip will be laying low for a while before revealing himself, if ever, to Naomi. 

With regards to why he abandoned the ship, I think Rosenberg’s death and perhaps Marco’s nonchalant comment about how he’d respond to losing him (Filip) by “accepting that it was his fate, the life he chose,” was enough to push him to walk away. I think he was likely already ready to do it, but those two things gave him the courage to act. I did feel bad for Rosenberg as she died, when she said she wasn’t ready to go. It really is too bad that she hitched her ambition to the wrong Belter and didn’t exit stage left when she had the chance. She knew Marco was crazy and that his last strategy in battling the Inners was weak and dangerous to them all, but she continued on with him due in part to her own ambitions.

18 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Glad that his smug ass got taken out for good, even if I evilly wish it was more painful

This. His death was anti-climatic and went way too fast. Nonetheless I was happy to see his demise and thought the scene of him disintegrating into nothing was beautifully done. 

21 hours ago, Evie said:

The Laconia storyline was such a time waste. So the head guy screwed Marco over. Did he have the protomolecule then? Man, I disliked that little girl. 

Am I the only one who could barely see a darn thing in the Laconia scenes? Most of the scenes were so dam dark it was hard to tell what the hell was going on, especially when the people were outside. And I agree, the little girl was annoying as hell. I know she loved her brother and wanted him back but he looked like a dam zombie. I found it odd, that the way he looked and behaved didn’t frighten her. Then her choice to runaway with him because her parents wouldn’t accept their back from the dead son who looked like something out of a horror movie and exhibited some form of extraterrestrial powers was even more baffling. I thought she was just going to distract the parents and then release her brother, telling him to hide until she could visit him in the woods later, but instead she ran away with him. SMH. Like others I think the Laconia storyline is a setup for a potential sequel series. Unfortunately the storylines shown here were so boring I’d probably not watch.

Final thought, overall this season was just okay. I enjoyed the finale though. So glad Drummer has a position where she can make even more of a difference, has power and will be able to help level the playing field for Belters. Loved Holden and Naomi’s very chilled and happy stance at the end. They’ve been through a LOT separately and together, but they made it through, and are still happily  “married.” :) Also, liked seeing the *new* Roci family. Naomi is no longer the only lady onboard. :) But poor Peaches learning she has a terminal illness just as she’s finding some semblance of redemption and a new life/family. Perhaps in the 5 years that she has left, a treatment or cure will emerge for her illness. 

Though the last 2-3 seasons were the weakest, IMO, out of the 6, this was an excellent show. It is one that I’ve gone back and rewatched, and I will continue to keep it on rewatch for a long time to come.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, MrPissyPuppy said:
3 hours ago, Macbeth said:

Yes,  I loved that!   There's also R(ick) Deckard (Blade Runner), D(uncan) Idaho (Dune) and J(ack) O'Neill (Stargate), plus S(arah) Connor (Terminator)!

image.thumb.png.7637e5f4946b051127089807a5bab877.png

Also

William Riker: Star Trek TNG.

Commander Shepard (I don't think we ever got a real first name): Mass Effect

Jason Nesmith: Galaxy Quest

John Anderton: Minority Report

John Rico: Starship Troopers

Those are the ones of the top of my head. Who are we still missing? There has to be a comprehensive list somewhere out there, but maybe we can get all of them without googling. That seems like a fun game.

13 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I found this on the internet, what the what!!!!!!
FI__PnTUYAMThYa?format=jpg&name=medium

Oh my.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, Enero said:

With regards to why he abandoned the ship, I think Rosenberg’s death and perhaps Marco’s nonchalant comment about how he’d respond to losing him (Filip) by “accepting that it was his fate, the life he chose,” was enough to push him to walk away. I think he was likely already ready to do it, but those two things gave him the courage to act. I did feel bad for Rosenberg as she died, when she said she wasn’t ready to go. 

I may have made this comment before, but often the thing that breaks the spell of a cult leader or powerful personality is very small. Under the surface the pressure to leave might build almost unconsciously for a long time, then one day some little thing happens (well, not that little in this case) and suddenly the person is done, and walks away. It can be that sudden and abrupt. 

I loved that Rosenfeld's last words weren't dramatic or meaningful or plot-driven, just "I'm not ready to go..." That was such a real, human thing to say that I found it really touching, even though I didn't like her as a person. 

9 minutes ago, Zonk said:

Those are the ones of the top of my head. Who are we still missing? T

I read a full list today on the Den of Geek site, an article on Easter Eggs. Maybe check there. 

Edited by Melina22
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, Zonk said:

There has to be a comprehensive list somewhere out there, but maybe we can get all of them without googling. That seems like a fun game.

If you want to peep...

Spoiler

troopers.thumb.jpg.2a360217c7fd950a9a1a8c98de03f374.jpg

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

I loved that Rosenfeld's last words weren't dramatic or meaningful or plot-driven, just "I'm not ready to go..." That was such a real,

It was very specifically "I don't wanna go.", which is a very iconic line (for better or worse) from Doctor Who. Normally I would think that it's just a coincidence, but with all the scifi references this episode and not one of the strike team names being from DW, as far as I can tell, I choose to believe that it's a deliberate reference.

Edit: They even made a confidential about it:

9 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

If you want to peep...

The screenshot was in my post and somebody elses before. It's not a spoiler since it was in the episode. I meant a list where somebody has listed what scifi franchises all of these names are from.

Edited by Zonk
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

The Den of Geek article I mentioned lists all the franchises. 

I thought it might be fun if we could get all of them just with our combined nerd-knowledge. But I guess nobody really wants to play. 😔

I'll look it up eventually. 🙂

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Zonk said:

But I guess nobody really wants to play. 😔

Oh, sorry! I guess I didn't realize your intent. It does sound like a fun game, but I can't play, having already read the article. 😁

I'd say I was familiar with 75% of the names, which included some of my all time favourites, like Roy Neary and Kara Thrace. Reading over the list brought back so many great memories of hundreds of hours spent over the years in other realities, other galaxies. 

I wonder what draws some people to sci-fi as a lifelong passion, while others hate it? 

• Love 2

Also: How much of a badass is Drummer for staying on task when there is a freaking giant hole in the hull?

Naomi has always fought with her intellect. Her brain is her greatest tool and weapon.  Marco was finally taken out thanks to Naomi's observations of how the Ring was behaving.

In the scene with Holden making the speech, there was a guy sitting next to Amos with a prosthetic arm. Joshep?

Edited by marinw
  • Love 4
58 minutes ago, Enero said:

he little girl was annoying as hell. I know she loved her brother and wanted him back but he looked like a dam zombie.

He reminded me a lot of the protomolecule children soldiers from season 2(?), the ones on Ganymede and Io.  Kill it with fire!

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

Duncan Idaho?
Lucky Starr?

Duncan Idaho = character in Dune (played by Jason Momoa in the recent movie)

L. Starr = I assume Lone Starr, the Luke-Skywalker parody in Mel Brooks' Spaceballs.

Edited by mac123x
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, mac123x said:

Duncan Idaho = character in Dune (played by Jason Momoa in the recent movie)

L. Starr = I assume Lone Starr, the Luke-Skywalker parody in the Mel Brooks' Spaceballs.

I know who Duncan Idaho is.

Lucky Starr was the lead character in a series of 6-8 books written by Asimov, for young audiences. Can't remember much about the actual stories.

• Love 1

Whhhhyyyyyy did they bother with the Laconia storyline when it amounted to nothing?  What a waste of precious minutes each episode.  If it is indeed a future spin off I probably won't watch.  I hate that kid.

That was a satisfying ending although it breaks my heart we wont get more.  All our heroes survived.  Drummer, Amos, Naomi, and Bobbie all had great moments.  Holden pulled a Holden and Avasarala looked fabulous in that white outfit.  Best of all, Marco dissolved.  Goodbye, TBS!

Love all the shout outs to other sci fi characters on the board.

On 1/13/2022 at 11:27 PM, MissLucas said:

Maybe deep down she knew Holden would do it and that's why she suggested him in the first place. Now she can claim that James f******* Holden handed the Ring Space to the Belters.

If she didn't anticipate it she must begrudgingly know he did the right thing.  

I hope Shohreh Aghdashloo kept some of her costume pieces.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 7
17 hours ago, Melina22 said:

I wonder what draws some people to sci-fi as a lifelong passion, while others hate it? 

I grew up watching the original Star Trek and reading the YA Robert Heinlein, so there's my origin story. 

(In retrospect, I'm sure Robert Heinlein would be all kinds of problematic by today's standards)

Speaking of Original Star Trek, I wonder if The Expanse will be one of those shows people discover once its' run is over.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, JZL said:

Welp, it's over.  There's no reason left to watch any more TV.

Damn you, show, for making me raise my standards and expect science from my science fiction.  The only show that comes close in terms of "Hard Science" is For all Mankind. When will Season Three be out?

Also: Naomi explaining her initial resentment of Peaches made so much sence and was so sad😓..

Edited by marinw
  • Love 2