Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: Babylon's Ashes

raven
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, xaxat said:

I just rewatched the premier episode and realized that the show starts with Holden not wanting the job (XO of the Cant) and ends with Holden not wanting the job.

Yep, he's been pretty consistent.

• Love 3

They should never have done Laconia, it was completely unfinished.  Who cares if it's in the books?  If you can't understand the point of a story just from watching the show itself and need to look up another medium like a book to make sense of it, then the story was poorly told.  I also did not get why the little brother acted normal more or less when his sister found him, then started acting like a Walking Dead zombie when his parents saw him, causing them to freak out.  Then when the sister got him out of the closet he was acting normal again.  Just his eyes were black.  WTF?

The main story, though, was great.  I loved the final scenes with Amos and Bobbie and Amos and Clarissa, Holden and Naomi, Holden and Drummer, Holden and Avasarala.  Filip is a dangling thread.  Will he reunite with his mother?  Will have to leave that up to the imagination.  I will miss this show, one of my favorite sci-fi shows ever and objectively probably the best one ever.

Edited by Dobian
  • Like 1
  • Love 6

One thing I loved about this season was how Clarissa periodically just stopped Holden cold with one of her truth bombs ("Do you want to know when I stopped wanting to kill you"). Overall, I just really enjoyed how the writers handled Clarissa's integration into the Roci family.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

One thing I loved about this season was how Clarissa periodically just stopped Holden cold with one of her truth bombs ("Do you want to know when I stopped wanting to kill you"). Overall, I just really enjoyed how the writers handled Clarissa's integration into the Roci family.

I never thought there was anything that could make me like Clarissa - not even last season when I did lose a little of the hate - but this season definitely accomplished it. Her redemption story has been subtle and effective.

• Love 6

On 1/14/2022 at 10:19 AM, StarBrand said:

During the scene where Inaros was "inspiring" his crew, did anyone but me think, as they were all gathering around him, that was going to be the point where they all said "enough of this shit", and were about to beat him to death?

I know *I* was thinking that. Perfect eyeliner, perfect man-bun intact, not a scratch on him, and pretty much everyone else was visibly wounded. What the hell, Marco? Read the audience.

On 1/15/2022 at 3:31 PM, Tachi Rocinante said:

They could've shoehorned in a "vision" from Miller or video call from Havelock, but I guess they decided against it.

I was hoping that maybe Holden would have a vision/communication with the ring/protomolecule entities via a vision of Miller. No such luck.

On 1/15/2022 at 4:49 PM, Quark said:

Also, I could not stop laughing at the noises that Amos was making after he ejected himself. Hilarious!

I thought that must have been pretty hilarious for the actors--sitting in a giant potty chair in front of the green screen making various strange effortful/tortured/etc noises.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 1/14/2022 at 10:19 AM, StarBrand said:

Durling the scene where Inaros was "inspiring" his crew, did anyone but me think, as they were all gathering around him, that was going to be the point where they all said "enough of this shit", and were about to beat him to death?

Yes. It looked like the crew knew that they had been defeated and started the chant not because they believed Marco, but out of reflex.

• Love 1

Absolutely wonderful! But incomplete.......

The book series does go on......

I have e-mailed Netflix, Prime, IMDB, and Paramount+ about completing the last 3 books in some fashion. I haven't tried Hulu, because I don't have it, but I don't mind if someone else does; if they pick it up I'll just have to wait for the DVDs like I do with The Handmaid's Tale.

And the book series does not end the way I expected it too; but it's just as valid, now that I've had time to think about it.

Spoiler

I can't remember: does Filip survive in the books?

I am very very late to the party, but I finally finished watched the final season.  I thought this episode was near perfect.  They packed so much into one hour.  The space battle was a thing of beauty, even if I was a bit confused as to exactly what was going on.  I kept being worried for Bobbie and Amos, since this was the series finale I was convinced one of them was going to make the ultimate sacrifice.  When Bobbie was first introduced, I really disliked her and the actress, but by series end, I had completely changed my view of her and thought she was truly awesome.

It's so interesting how the series has evolved.  The first season was great, it was set up as a mystery set in future space.  I loved the world building, especially the scenes of Miller in the colony at Ceres.  The scenes of everyday life in a space colony were great.  The last two seasons were more about politics and the typical space drama with good battling evil.  I would have preferred more mystery, but maybe people were all mysteried-out with the protomolecule.

On 1/13/2022 at 9:51 PM, Evie said:

The Laconia storyline was such a time waste. So the head guy screwed Marco over. Did he have the protomolecule then? Man, I disliked that little girl. 

The little girl has to be one of the most annoying and irritating child actors I have come across.  I get that the character was written this way, but wow, she was annoying.  The little boy and both parents weren't much better either.  I had zero interest in Laconia.  I know it seems like they were setting things up for a spinoff, but I have zero interest watching a spinoff, unless it involves an Aliens-like story of space marines coming to torch everybody.

I hate that Marcos got such an easy and quick death.  So yeah, the protomolecule or the sentient beings or whatever it was ate his ship as he went through the Ring.  But I wanted more.  I have been waiting and waiting and waiting for this guylinered crazy ass to get what's coming to him.  And he just has a scream as he gets torn apart?  He probably didn't even realise what had happened or why it happened.

I wanted his crew to mutiny.  Or his ship to get captured and he comes face to face with Naomi.  He had no issues spacing the officers of that ship he took.  I wanted the same to be done to him.  I wanted Naomi or Rosenberg to be the one to push the button.  He needed to have understood the consequences of all of his actions.  Not this crappy quick death.

On 1/14/2022 at 2:04 PM, mac123x said:

It definitely seems like a set-up for a spin-off series.  If so, I hope the little kids die permanently and immediately.  Actually, I hope everyone on Laconia dies and the series starts off as a mystery trying to piece together what happened to the lost colony.

Yes, please.  If only Filip had also died this way.  I don't like that he survived.  He didn't do anything redemptive other than walk away after Rosenberg got killed and Marco was too cavalier about it.  Seriously, that's what finally made him leave?  Twit. 

I thought this was a great series finale (excepting the Laconia stuff).  I did wonder at introducing Clarissa's ailment at the last minute.  Thankfully it wasn't really relevant to the plot - she overcame an issue without resorting to using her mods and thus probably killing herself.  Nice that the writers avoided that trope.

I didn't like that Filip survived either.  He made his choices long ago, Naomi lost him long ago.  He had a chance to join her and he turned his back on her.  I do wonder if Naomi knows if he is alive.  I guess it makes me glad that Naomi will be happy if she finds him, but overall, this character was a POS and I hate that he lives.  Zero consequences for killing his friend.  Zero consequences for attaching himself to his criminal father.  There were plenty of people on Marcos' ship who were way more innocent than Filip was.  They joined the navy in support of their homeland.  I think they all knew at the end that their leader was crazy.  Those people all died attached to his sinking ship while the little shit spirited himself away.

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm even later to the party and Indont have anything really profound to say. But-

- kind of a relief to hear others were also annoyed by the little girl bc I totally was and I just thought I was turning into an old curmudgeon. 😆 I may still be, but at least I'm not alone, heh.

- it was super irritating that the Laconia stuff was meaningless.

- I wish Drummer had a bigger role in the final battle, I think the character earned it.

- Filip- the actor really is very good at conveying so much without speaking as the scales finally fell from his eyes

- I also regret that the season didn't delve more into the ring builders and their enemy but maybe some mystery there is better than anything they could come up with.

I'm considering reading the books, but not sure. Reading fiction is really hit and miss with me.

Edited by cleo
13 hours ago, cleo said:

I'm considering reading the books, but not sure. Reading fiction is really hit and miss with me.

I thought the first two were great - somewhere along the line I petered out, I'm not sure if it was me or the books. I think it was more me, actually. Maybe I'll start re-reading them.

• Like 1